PDA

View Full Version : Penalties

Mango Man
25-09-2018, 10:09 PM
We used to have a great record at pens, tide seems to be turning now, is that the last 3 we've lost?!

I'm still in shock after this game, gutter.

overdrive
25-09-2018, 10:12 PM
Was the stat not that we’d never lost a competitive shootout since the 70s until the Hamilton play-off? I think we’ve maybe only one since?

Ryan91
25-09-2018, 10:25 PM
Was the stat not that we’d never lost a competitive shootout since the 70s until the Hamilton play-off? I think we’ve maybe only one since?

Until the Hamilton play-off defeat, Hibs had never been beaten by a Scottish Team in a Penalty Shoot-Out and had only lost a single shoot-out, which was apparently against Leeds.

Diclonius
25-09-2018, 10:31 PM
Until the Hamilton play-off defeat, Hibs had never been beaten by a Scottish Team in a Penalty Shoot-Out and had only lost a single shoot-out, which was apparently against Leeds.

Wow. That means I'm one of a very special group of people who has seen every domestic shootout we've lost.

Only seen us win the one.

wookie70
25-09-2018, 10:32 PM
The difference between the managers' comments was telling. Lennon said it was a lottery and McInnes said they had practised them and it was technique that would win through. I would hope Hibs have practised them and to be fair both teams took decent pens with Lewis being allowed to stand on the edge of the six yard box the difference. Lewis certainly looked like he knew exactly what he was doing and had a plan. That ended up the difference between the teams.

Unseen work
25-09-2018, 10:35 PM
The difference between the managers' comments was telling. Lennon said it was a lottery and McInnes said they had practised them and it was technique that would win through. I would hope Hibs have practised them and to be fair both teams took decent pens with Lewis being allowed to stand on the edge of the six yard box the difference. Lewis certainly looked like he knew exactly what he was doing and had a plan. That ended up the difference between the teams.

The difference is McInnes is speaking nonsense and Lennon told the truth re penalties.

McInnes knows they got battered and were lucky to get through, so to try and restore a bit of faith with the fans tried to make out it was technical and about mental strength.

LaMotta
25-09-2018, 10:38 PM
Also unlucky that 2 of our usual penalty takers went off injured. :rolleyes:

Blaster
25-09-2018, 10:42 PM

If Aberdeen get beat in the semi on penalties I’d guarantee McInnes will be back to saying it’s a lottery

bodhibs
25-09-2018, 10:48 PM
Wow. That means I'm one of a very special group of people who has seen every domestic shootout we've lost.

You need to avoid cup ties 😉

Haymaker
26-09-2018, 03:34 AM
If Aberdeen get beat in the semi on penalties I’d guarantee McInnes will be back to saying it’s a lottery

Yep.

KeithTheHibby
26-09-2018, 05:53 AM
Seen us win loads going back to the early nineties. Was at Pittodrie when we knocked the sheep out the SC in 1997 so seen some memorable wins. Who can also forget the big polar bear at Hampden in 2016?
Just on a ****ty run with them at the moment.

calumhibee1
26-09-2018, 06:01 AM
The difference is McInnes is speaking nonsense and Lennon told the truth re penalties.

McInnes knows they got battered and were lucky to get through, so to try and restore a bit of faith with the fans tried to make out it was technical and about mental strength.

It’s not nonsense. The whole penalties is a lottery thing is a load of *****. Yes, it closes the gap between good teams and ***** teams to an extent but at the end of the day penalties still require a level of skill. If we put someone like Marv up to take all 5 penalties I doubt we’d win many shootouts at all and it wouldn’t be because we simply hadn’t won “the lottery of penalties”.

hibee_girl
26-09-2018, 06:19 AM
I’m still in shock Stevenson took a penalty :greengrin

villahibs
26-09-2018, 06:33 AM
It’s not nonsense. The whole penalties is a lottery thing is a load of *****. Yes, it closes the gap between good teams and ***** teams to an extent but at the end of the day penalties still require a level of skill. If we put someone like Marv up to take all 5 penalties I doubt we’d win many shootouts at all and it wouldn’t be because we simply hadn’t won “the lottery of penalties”.

I’m sure it’s a little more difficult taking a penalty in front of 12,000 to keep your team in the cup, as opposed to on a training ground with your mates...
It also makes things slightly more difficult if the keeper GUESSES the right way! If it wasn’t a lottery nobody would miss and we’d still be there now!

calumhibee1
26-09-2018, 06:50 AM
I’m sure it’s a little more difficult taking a penalty in front of 12,000 to keep your team in the cup, as opposed to on a training ground with your mates...
It also makes things slightly more difficult if the keeper GUESSES the right way! If it wasn’t a lottery nobody would miss and we’d still be there now!

If you are a good enough penalty taker then you’ll rarely miss. If you’re not then you’ll frequently miss. No lottery, just different levels of skill for that particular task which lead to folk missing. I played football for 20 years and took penalties for the majority of that time for the teams I played for. I only ever missed a handful. It wasn’t because I was lucky in the lottery, it’s because I could stick the ball in the corner with a bit of power. Other guys in my team would probably have missed the majority of them because they couldn’t stick the ball in the corner. Not because I carried more luck than them.

Training ground, youth football or Champions League football, taking penalties is a skill. Not a lottery or else we wouldn’t have designated penalty takers.

Northernhibee
26-09-2018, 06:54 AM

Good penalty as well.

villahibs
26-09-2018, 07:29 AM
If you are a good enough penalty taker then you’ll rarely miss. If you’re not then you’ll frequently miss. No lottery, just different levels of skill for that particular task which lead to folk missing. I played football for 20 years and took penalties for the majority of that time for the teams I played for. I only ever missed a handful. It wasn’t because I was lucky in the lottery, it’s because I could stick the ball in the corner with a bit of power. Other guys in my team would probably have missed the majority of them because they couldn’t stick the ball in the corner. Not because I carried more luck than them.

Training ground, youth football or Champions League football, taking penalties is a skill. Not a lottery or else we wouldn’t have designated penalty takers.

Yet you still missed a handful of penalties?? That’s the point. You think you could strike a penalty well and it was more skill than luck for you. How did you ever miss then?

500miles
26-09-2018, 07:37 AM
Given that we had one pen saved, and one cracked the underside of the bar, I don't think the quality of the shots were the problem. Agyepongs was so close, the North thought it had bounced over the line.

PatHead
26-09-2018, 07:39 AM
With the exception of Mallan’s thought the penalties were good. If Thomas’ Had been a centimetre lower we would still be taking them now.

calumhibee1
26-09-2018, 07:44 AM
Yet you still missed a handful of penalties?? That’s the point. You think you could strike a penalty well and it was more skill than luck for you. How did you ever miss then?

I don’t think we’re going to agree on this :greengrin

Going by that logic, if Messi misses a one on one with the goalie (which he does once in a blue moon) it is because he’s just been unlucky in the lottery of one on ones with the goalie. Because if scoring one on ones was down to skill (which he has in abundance) he’d simply never miss?

You can be very skilled at something but still make an arse of it occasionally.

Out of interest, if penalties is a lottery then surely you’d feel equally as comfortable seeing Efe, Daz, Marv or even Bogdan take our penalties instead of Kamberi? I’d suggest the fact nobody would want that shows that taking penalties is a skill and not just a “toss of a coin” as it’s so often described.

BoomtownHibees
26-09-2018, 07:46 AM
Given that we had one pen saved, and one cracked the underside of the bar, I don't think the quality of the shots were the problem. Agyepongs was so close, the North thought it had bounced over the line.

Hitting the bar = missing the target = bad penalty

Baader
26-09-2018, 08:03 AM

Yes. Just a load of nonsense from McInnes to try and make them look better. Aberdeen were not great last night and he knows it. Hibs should have won.

500miles
26-09-2018, 08:08 AM
Hitting the bar = missing the target = bad penalty

It's an inch away from a perfect penalty.

patlowe
26-09-2018, 08:09 AM
Aside from the fact that he invariably cheats by jumping yards off his line before the ball is kicked, Joe Lewis is huge and has a great record at saving penalties. Add in the fact that our normal penalty taker (Flo) was off the pitch, alongside other likely takers in Hanlon and Milligan, I'd say it was quite far from a lottery last night.

Re wee Tam, when faced with an imposing figure like Lewis IMO it becomes more tempting to hit a lower percentage penalty (ie aiming for a top corner). Again, not quite as simple as a lottery.

BoomtownHibees
26-09-2018, 08:10 AM
It's an inch away from a perfect penalty.

So imperfect then 😉

villahibs
26-09-2018, 09:54 AM
I don’t think we’re going to agree on this :greengrin

Going by that logic, if Messi misses a one on one with the goalie (which he does once in a blue moon) it is because he’s just been unlucky in the lottery of one on ones with the goalie. Because if scoring one on ones was down to skill (which he has in abundance) he’d simply never miss?

You can be very skilled at something but still make an arse of it occasionally.

Out of interest, if penalties is a lottery then surely you’d feel equally as comfortable seeing Efe, Daz, Marv or even Bogdan take our penalties instead of Kamberi? I’d suggest the fact nobody would want that shows that taking penalties is a skill and not just a “toss of a coin” as it’s so often described.

I’d feel as comfortable as seeing a Stevenson or a Whittaker step up to be honest... Whittaker banged his in the top corner last night but lost us the game at Ross County.
You could have 2 squads full of accomplished penalty kick takers but someone still needs to win and lose. That can only be done by someone missing....
It really is exactly as you have said.. You can be very skilled at something but still make an arse of it occasionally. In that respect it has the be a lottery??
The worst penalty last night was McGinn’s, possibly the one player you would fancy to score more than any other. Someone must miss in a shoot out, it keeps going until someone does, it’s a lottery.

calumhibee1
26-09-2018, 10:01 AM
I’d feel as comfortable as seeing a Stevenson or a Whittaker step up to be honest... Whittaker banged his in the top corner last night but lost us the game at Ross County.
You could have 2 squads full of accomplished penalty kick takers but someone still needs to win and lose. That can only be done by someone missing....
It really is exactly as you have said.. You can be very skilled at something but still make an arse of it occasionally. In that respect it has the be a lottery??
The worst penalty last night was McGinn’s, possibly the one player you would fancy to score more than any other. Someone must miss in a shoot out, it keeps going until someone does, it’s a lottery.

Well agree to disagree. The “penalties are a lottery” chat to me suggests each team has an equal chance of winning regardless of who plays for them. Messi, Ronaldo, Aguero, Hazard and Lewandowski with De Gea in goals would beat Edinburgh City on pens probably every single time. Therefore to me, it’s not a lottery, certainly not in the ‘toss of a coin, 50/50’ way its suggested a lot of the time.

My point isn’t really anything to do with Hibs last night btw, it’s just always a statement that’s irked me :greengrin

villahibs
26-09-2018, 10:09 AM
Well agree to disagree. The “penalties are a lottery” chat to me suggests each team has an equal chance of winning regardless of who plays for them. Messi, Ronaldo, Aguero, Hazard and Lewandowski with De Gea in goals would beat Edinburgh City on pens probably every single time. Therefore to me, it’s not a lottery, certainly not in the ‘toss of a coin, 50/50’ way its suggested a lot of the time.

My point isn’t really anything to do with Hibs last night btw, it’s just always a statement that’s irked me :greengrin

I understand your point, I just don’t agree with it! 😂.

Derby beat Man United on penalties and clearly Man U have far better players.
Hibs completely dominated Aberdeen and I wouldn’t swap any of their players for ours yet they won the shoot out...

PatHead
26-09-2018, 10:23 AM
Sure we will see plenty of putts missed in the Ryder Cup this week. You would expect 24 of the best players in the world not to miss from 6 feet. It will happen though no matter how many times they practice.

Penalties are the same. In that sense it is a lottery.

calumhibee1
26-09-2018, 10:40 AM
OK, I’ll downgrade my position to accepting it’s a lottery in some regard because good pen takers can still miss a pen and bad pen takers can still score a pen. I still vehemently disagree with it being a 50/50 toss of a coin though :greengrin

OsloHibs
26-09-2018, 10:42 AM

Me too!

hibsmad
26-09-2018, 10:55 AM
My own feelings on penalty shoot outs is that it comes down so much to the goalkeeper.

There seems to be two types of goalkeepers. Those who try to distract the taker as much as possible and who also react to the takers penalty. These types of goalkeepers also throw themselves in the direction they ultimately go.

The other type seems to have a side in their mind and then go that way regardless. Not only that but it sometimes even looks half hearted when they just drop to one side.

I am extremely pleased with both Rocky and Bogdan, but unfortunately neither seem to be the type of goalkeeper that relishes facing a penalty kick. I’ve said on here before that it’s always likely that we will have to win a penalty shoot out in order to lift a trophy. I therefore find it a bit of a worry.

PatHead
26-09-2018, 10:56 AM
Obviously took his captain role seriously and led by example.

DH1875
26-09-2018, 01:13 PM
Tell you what I found strange about the penalties, the fact that Oli Shaw wasn't one of the first 5 to take one.

Peevemor
26-09-2018, 01:20 PM
Tell you what I found strange about the penalties, the fact that Oli Shaw wasn't one of the first 5 to take one.

Strikers don't automatically take penalties. Had Milligan been on the park he would no doubt have been in the first 5 as the regular penalty taker at his previous club.

Tommy McIntyre took our penalties even though Keith Wright was in the team.

The fact that Shaw wasn't in the 5 is maybe interesting but not all that strange.

What was strange was my bowel reaction when I saw Lewis stepping up. :greengrin

Lancs Harp
26-09-2018, 01:40 PM
Did anyone else think that Joe Lewis much favoured diving to his right than his left?

IGRIGI
26-09-2018, 01:47 PM
After growing up with the idea that Hibs were invincible at penalty shoot outs it's hard to stomach the recent *****ness outside of the UTD semi final.

erin go bragh
26-09-2018, 04:55 PM
Lost three on the bounce now at ER . Still undefeated away from home in Scotland at penalties tho 😜

Billy Whizz
26-09-2018, 05:06 PM
Just brave enough to watch last nights highlights package on HIbs TV
Shinnie shouldn’t even have been on the park to take one
Cynical challenge on Agyepong late on in extra time. Maybe the ref thought it was too late to send him off, but as he took and scored thwe 1st penalty, his wrong decision cost us

Iggy Pope
26-09-2018, 05:11 PM

You're 27 and not special.
Get to your bed now and give it time.

Iggy Pope
26-09-2018, 05:13 PM
Strikers don't automatically take penalties. Had Milligan been on the park he would no doubt have been in the first 5 as the regular penalty taker at his previous club.

Tommy McIntyre took our penalties even though Keith Wright was in the team.

The fact that Shaw wasn't in the 5 is maybe interesting but not all that strange.

What was strange was my bowel reaction when I saw Lewis stepping up. :greengrin

Took penalties for the Development side well?

Onceinawhile
26-09-2018, 08:43 PM

Messi is a terrible penalty taker.

Northernhibee
26-09-2018, 10:46 PM

It shows the measure of the man. He's a left back with single figure goals in his career and IIRC has never taken a penalty in a match before but lead by example as captain and slotted it home brilliantly.

You think that McGinn and McGeouch are hard players to replace, Lewis is a one in a billion type player.

bookert
26-09-2018, 10:54 PM
I'm in the West near the south. Re the Mallan pen lewis was on the six yard line when he saved it. Well off his line at the time of contact. I see bogdan complaining about it in the Scotsman and he's right.

hibee_girl
27-09-2018, 06:43 AM
It shows the measure of the man. He's a left back with single figure goals in his career and IIRC has never taken a penalty in a match before but lead by example as captain and slotted it home brilliantly.

You think that McGinn and McGeouch are hard players to replace, Lewis is a one in a billion type player.

Completely agree.

I just found it funny because in the cup final dvd he says he’s the last one to volunteer for penalties then he rocks up 4th on Wednesday!

Maybe the rest of them bottled it :greengrin

calumhibee1
27-09-2018, 08:18 AM
I'm in the West near the south. Re the Mallan pen lewis was on the six yard line when he saved it. Well off his line at the time of contact. I see bogdan complaining about it in the Scotsman and he's right.

I think you might be slightly exaggerating about him being on the six yard line :greengrin

calumhibee1
27-09-2018, 08:18 AM
Messi is a terrible penalty taker.

That’s true. We can swap him for Neymar.