PDA

View Full Version : Appreciating the Fans

sauzee6_2
22-09-2018, 07:07 PM
I find it appalling that fans are regularly treated as cash cows.

I took my 4 year old and 8 year old to the game today - £26 for me, £11 for the kids. Ok £48, I can handle that - but it’s Dens Park FFS!

What really pissed me off was when I was charged £15.30 for 2 steak pies, a sausage roll and 3 diet cokes!

I understand that clubs are trying to maximise income, however in reality whilst I will attend the next match at Dens Park, I will probably leave the kids.

Had Dundee FC perhaps appreciated our support and even dropped their prices by 15%, they would have had 100% repeat business from me, as it is instead of £63.30, they will only get £26 from me!

I’m sure we also do the same but treating fans as customers rather than income would go a long way to improving our game.

Famous Fiver
22-09-2018, 07:11 PM
The £26 price tag put a lot of people off today. I would rather save my £26 and give it to the Hibs rather than put money into the coffers of that putrid club's coffers.

green&left
22-09-2018, 07:15 PM
I find it appalling that fans are regularly treated as cash cows.

I took my 4 year old and 8 year old to the game today - £26 for me, £11 for the kids. Ok £48, I can handle that - but it’s Dens Park FFS!

What really pissed me off was when I was charged £15.30 for 2 steak pies, a sausage roll and 3 diet cokes!

I understand that clubs are trying to maximise income, however in reality whilst I will attend the next match at Dens Park, I will probably leave the kids.

Had Dundee FC perhaps appreciated our support and even dropped their prices by 15%, they would have had 100% repeat business from me, as it is instead of £63.30, they will only get £26 from me!

I’m sure we also do the same but treating fans as customers rather than income would go a long way to improving our game.

An adult and 2 kids would also cost £48 at ER. And the pies and cokes would be the same, if not dearer TBH.

All clubs are robbing *******s TBH.

bingo70
22-09-2018, 07:23 PM
Clubs should do family tickets for away fans imo.

When hibs are away I normally do something with the family, I contemplated us all going through to Livingston the other week but it was going to cost almost £60 for the three of us, and that’s just for the tickets. Not affordable for a lot of families and i include mine in that, even if I was flush with cash though that’s simply not good value.

PatHead
22-09-2018, 07:26 PM
Even worse when Dundee only charged their own fans £5 for kids tickets.

hibee
22-09-2018, 07:30 PM
Totally agree, I gave up away games when I started taking my two kids and haven’t bought food or drink in a stadium for about 20 years!

Think I paid £645.00 for our three season tickets which I can quickly forget about but if I was paying £50 or whatever it is cash every home game I think I’d give up, I know it works out the same over the season but it just seems more when you pay it regularly.

Keith_M
22-09-2018, 07:38 PM
I suppose if you're used to getting a Season Ticket for your kids for 50 quid, it must be a shock to have to pay about twelve quid for a single game.

I seem to remember we used to have special deals in our Family Section, parent and kids gates, where kids were half price with an adult paying full price.

wookie70
22-09-2018, 07:38 PM
Same with me. I used to try and take the kids to all the away games and in the Championship it wasn't too bad. Far too expensive now so I go on my own except the odd game or the clubs that make it a good deal for kids. I get charging the higher prices when games are going to sell out but how many dads would have taken their kids today if it had been a fiver. I ended up not going but may have made the effort if the three of us could have went for a reasonable sum

hibee
22-09-2018, 07:41 PM
I suppose if you're used to getting a Season Ticket for your kids for 50 quid, it must be a shock to have to pay about twelve quid for a single game.

I seem to remember we used to have special deals in our Family Section, parent and kids gates, where kids were half price with an adult paying full price.

£50 would be amazing but I paid £130, there’s a few clubs that still do great deals for parent and child, I’m sure Motherwell is one of them.

JXM73
22-09-2018, 07:42 PM
Stopped buying food in grounds, got a lovely pizza thing n drink fae the lidl outside livis ground for £2, now ones opened on easter road ill get my snack fae there instead... £2.50 for a tea, jog on...

Joe6-2
22-09-2018, 07:43 PM
Clubs should pull all the stops out to encourage kids into football, the game struggles as it is.
It’s a damn disgrace dads cant take them to games

PatHead
22-09-2018, 08:01 PM
Clubs should pull all the stops out to encourage kids into football, the game struggles as it is.
It’s a damn disgrace dads cant take them to games

What about mothers?

bingo70
22-09-2018, 08:15 PM
What about mothers?

I’m fine about no taking the boys mother, would like to take him though. 😜

Joe6-2
22-09-2018, 08:24 PM
What about mothers?

Sorry!!! Of course

Joe6-2
22-09-2018, 08:24 PM

😂😂

PatHead
22-09-2018, 08:53 PM

😂

Greenfly
22-09-2018, 09:08 PM

It's a nonsense that a club (Dundee, us or whoever) can charge different prices based purely on who you support. Sure, different parts of the ground will have different prices but it should be like for like, whoever you support. Totally unfair and leads to tit-for-tat reprisals.

TheMentalHibees
22-09-2018, 10:04 PM
£26 and no paper towels in the men’s bathroom to dry your hands. Before kickoff. Lucky the hibs were there to gie me bang for my buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack Hackett
22-09-2018, 10:19 PM
This isn't just a football problem. We, the ordinary Joes of the UK, are being taken for a ride. Every commercial entity in these islands have their hands so deep in our pockets, they can scratch our balls

I can't wait to get the f*** away tbh

Hibernian Verse
22-09-2018, 10:25 PM
Sorry if this is taken as rude but why do you just not go instead of go, pay then moan about it?

I didn't go today because £26 Is a rip off for Dens never mind fuel and sustenance!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

green day
22-09-2018, 10:34 PM
Tickets for Molde away were £10. For a euro tie, FFS!

Scottish football fans pay a relative fortune because our TV deal is awful.

sauzee6_2
22-09-2018, 10:34 PM
Sorry if this is taken as rude but why do you just not go instead of go, pay then moan about it?

I didn't go today because £26 Is a rip off for Dens never mind fuel and sustenance!

Possibly the worst argument I’ve ever heard.

I went because I’m a hibby, as are my kids.

GGTTH

Hibernia&Alba
22-09-2018, 10:38 PM
The £26 price tag put a lot of people off today. I would rather save my £26 and give it to the Hibs rather than put money into the coffers of that putrid club's coffers.

Bit harsh mate, given the turn Dee did us back in '86. I will always be grateful :agree:

As to food prices at football, yes, they're scandalous and usually it's low quality stuff. Take the kids for a KFC/burger before or after the game would be my advice.

Hibernian Verse
22-09-2018, 10:46 PM
Possibly the worst argument I’ve ever heard.

I went because I’m a hibby, as are my kids.

GGTTHThen you can obviously afford it. No one is going to choose hibs over bankruptcy.

DickieDastardly
22-09-2018, 10:50 PM
Yip was there with my son, £8.50 for two bovrils and a packet of Maltesers, when I questioned it was told £3.50 for a bag of sweets!

BILLYHIBS
22-09-2018, 10:55 PM
Got to Dens today and thought to myself “ Who lives in a house like this?”
What a dump! It is like a throw back to the 1920s that stops early 1980s
It makes you proud of our beautiful stadium
As other posters have said highway robbery to charge £26 for adults
Strange though it may seem while Dundee were poor I thought they had some good players?

Gaffer1875
22-09-2018, 10:57 PM
Me and my daughter are not season ticket holders but generally go to 15-18 games per season, Home, Away, Hampden etc. It costs us roughly £35 for tickets, £15 lunch and £15 fuel (Hamilton to ER or away) £60-65 twice a month is costly it’s a good job we have been playing well but it does make you think that our game is so overpriced.

St Johnstone seemed to do a decent deal, think it was £18 for an adult and a fiver for a kid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tornadoes70
22-09-2018, 11:19 PM
Its a tough conundrum as football clubs in general have a very tough job in balancing the books and sticking to budgets (unless one uses the yam economics of assuming normal financial economics don't apply :confused:).

Football should always be affordable for every income and 26 quid for entry into Dens doesn't fall into that category. 20 quid for Dens should be the maximum entry fee with concessions a maximum tenner.

20 quid for me should be the maximum for every ground around the country bar category A games that require extra spending on stewarding, policing and extra contingency costing to attract folk to regularly attend.

I'd rather charge 10 quid a seat and have a full ground than price out the many with a half full stadium. I appreciate there are those who would argue against that theory.

Albeit, exciting teams will always attract more supporters to attend no matter a few quid extra but exciting teams have to be fairly paid for and why most of us despise the huns and yams for cheating their way to cups and 'honours' they later defaulted on.

Great result today.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

CMurdoch
23-09-2018, 12:42 AM

How are they a putrid club?
Dundee FC had a rich history before the money men started messing up.
It's just a shame Dundee is too small a place to properly support 2 good teams
They are just another Scottish football team with supporters like us who follow their team.
Anyone who supports a Scottish team other than Celtic or Rangers is okay by me.
For that to happen other teams have to exist for them to support.
I love Scottish football and the only shame is that 2 of the teams have consistently stolen glory hunting supporters from towns and cities the length and breadth of Scotland.
Do you hate every team apart from Hibs?

Hermit Crab
23-09-2018, 02:16 AM
Do what I did, went to Yorkes of Dundee for steak pies before the game, much cheaper and tastier.

southsider
23-09-2018, 02:39 AM
Can we not to a beam back to BTG for away games ? Say £10 & a drink. Be busy I think. SFA would prob ban it.

staunchhibby
23-09-2018, 06:58 AM
Tickets for Molde away were very cheap.But once there the prices in Molde more than made up for cheap ticket.

Chic Murray
23-09-2018, 07:40 AM
I used to go every week, and take my kids as well. But with the price of stretch limos, and a three course meal these days, I just can't afford it anymore.

It's £80 for hospitality on Tuesday, I think that is a disgrace as it's well beyond the budget of the average hard working family man.

If football isn't careful, it'll lose even more of kids to opera and ballet in future.

Keith_M
23-09-2018, 07:56 AM
When I win the Euro-Millions and buy Hibs, I'll introduce better PATG prices for the Fathers taking their Kids to games.

If they take the Mothers as well, I'll make them pay more...

hibbycraig
23-09-2018, 07:58 AM
Until fans stop paying the prices clubs won't change them, they need yo ne forced into it. Buying food in grounds is like buying food in the cinema. It's a disgrace how much they charge. Always take my own stuff in with me. At Easter road the wee cafe on Albion road is more than half the price than than in the stadium for food.

SouthMoroccoStu
23-09-2018, 08:08 AM
I genuinely didn’t think club were allowed to charge more to away fans for like for like tickets

Must be mistaken

£26 is very high price but over 1700 Hibees there made it a profitable afternoon for the Dens Park money men

Jones28
23-09-2018, 08:11 AM

Is that not illegal?

Keith_M
23-09-2018, 08:19 AM
I genuinely didn’t think club were allowed to charge more to away fans for like for like tickets

Must be mistaken

£26 is very high price but over 1700 Hibees there made it a profitable afternoon for the Dens Park money men

That used to be the rule and I'd be surprised if it isn't any more.

I'd love to see Hibs standing up for the fans (for once) and actually challenge this

B.H.F.C
23-09-2018, 08:31 AM
I used to go every week, and take my kids as well. But with the price of stretch limos, and a three course meal these days, I just can't afford it anymore.

It's £80 for hospitality on Tuesday, I think that is a disgrace as it's well beyond the budget of the average hard working family man.

If football isn't careful, it'll lose even more of kids to opera and ballet in future.

£80 for hospitality isn’t what the average man does very often though.

£20 for a standard ticket is pretty good value for a cup quarter final though.

heid the baw
23-09-2018, 08:57 AM
Pensioners get in for buttons. Many of them have heaps more disposable income than working parents. I always found that pretty ironic. Plus most younger fans will also probably have to wait til they are in there 70's to get a concession the way things are going.

Chic Murray
23-09-2018, 09:04 AM
£80 for hospitality isn’t what the average man does very often though.

£20 for a standard ticket is pretty good value for a cup quarter final though.

I think £20 is great value, and will definitely be going along.

Jones28
23-09-2018, 09:23 AM
Pensioners get in for buttons. Many of them have heaps more disposable income than working parents. I always found that pretty ironic. Plus most younger fans will also probably have to wait til they are in there 70's to get a concession the way things are going.

Pensioners in many cases have less disposable income, and they don't have the same opportunities to earn as working age folk. Same with students.

MWHIBBIES
23-09-2018, 10:17 AM
Stop paying it, it's that simple. Your kids don't need pies and coke. They'll thank you one day.

Mad that folk are blaming Hibs for this. Make a piece and take it with you. Buy from somewhere cheaper.

Price of tickets is what it is, Hibs do the same to away teams.

Smartie
23-09-2018, 10:23 AM
Do what I did, went to Yorkes of Dundee for steak pies before the game, much cheaper and tastier.

Where are they?

Did they not do the delicious ones they had at McDiarmid Park earlier this season?

where'stheslope
23-09-2018, 10:54 AM
Did Motherwell not try a deal to get more fans supporting the team a couple of years ago?

£10 for adults and kids went free?

If I remember rightly they lost a packet on it, as the crowd was about the same and the takings were well down!

We will never do anything like this as week in week out at Easter Road we are near capacity, so no need to drop prices!

But, if we hit a sticky patch, the next again season could be different!

In truth I don't see us dropping down the league, and as the clubs bouncing up and down between leagues are more likely to be relegation favourites!!!

Hermit Crab
23-09-2018, 11:01 AM
Where are they?

Did they not do the delicious ones they had at McDiarmid Park earlier this season?

8 minute walk from Dens park and yes they do the delicious St Johnstone pies, and only £1.60 a pie in the shop.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180923/867b4f14529544da68eace74f942bb89.png

Hermit Crab
23-09-2018, 11:06 AM
Stop paying it, it's that simple. Your kids don't need pies and coke. They'll thank you one day.

Mad that folk are blaming Hibs for this. Make a piece and take it with you. Buy from somewhere cheaper.

True, however is there really a healthy alternative inside the ground?

MWHIBBIES
23-09-2018, 11:10 AM
True, however is there really a healthy alternative inside the ground?

Probably not, best to buy from outside.

Chic Murray
23-09-2018, 11:10 AM
Remarkable that 1,600 away fans showed up when the prices were so high. Looks like Dundee priced their product right, because I don't think many more would have gone if it was cheaper.

CapitalGreen
23-09-2018, 11:15 AM
Remarkable that 1,600 away fans showed up when the prices were so high. Looks like Dundee priced their product right, because I don't think many more would have gone if it was cheaper.

Anything to back this up? Plenty anecdotal evidence on this thread of people put off by the price.

Hermit Crab
23-09-2018, 11:18 AM

If it was £10 and £5 we would have probably sold out

Hermit Crab
23-09-2018, 11:20 AM
Probably not, best to buy from outside.

Then you might get stopped going into the ground though.

Chic Murray
23-09-2018, 11:21 AM

Well, we can't really tell if that's true. How often do we sell out at Dens Park, and would Dundee be any better off if we had?

marinello59
23-09-2018, 11:35 AM

And Dundee wouldn’t have made as much money which is why that was never going to happen.

CMurdoch
23-09-2018, 11:40 AM

Common sense, bloody hell. You will get set upon.
I always took food for the kids and me to keep the cost down.

One cold night, last season, I did buy chips at Easter Road and they were appalling so not tempted.

The only issue at Dundee yesterday was that £5 tickets available for home fans under 12 were not available for Hibs fans which was a foul.
Scottish Football needs every kid to get into the match habit early and anything that stops that is foolish. Todays fans will need to be replaced as we fall of our perch.
Our football is only what it is just now due to the paying fans making up for the lack of a good broadcasting deal.

SideBurns
23-09-2018, 11:41 AM
You can add me to the list of those put off by the pricing. With the Dons game to pay for on Tuesday too, I had to make a choice so it'll be Paisley for me and the laddie next week. Great support in the circumstances.

superfurryhibby
23-09-2018, 12:54 PM

Why?

I often take food when I take my children to the match. No one objects to a sandwich, few bags of crisps and a cartoon of juice. Even had the polis laughing at Hampden with my commitment to the packed lunch and diatribe against the price of catering.

As for match prices, £26:00/£12:00 is a bit steep for entry to a dump of a stadium.

sauzee6_2
23-09-2018, 02:57 PM

You’re missing my point!

Why should fans need to buy from somewhere cheaper? My point is that fans custom is taken for granted and not appreciated.

If clubs priced their products more reasonably, I certainly would feel more valued as a customer.

Kojock
23-09-2018, 03:10 PM

The crowd in front of me managed to gain entry with a 2 litre bottle of "lemonade" and were openly passing it around them and drinking from the bottle with no repercussions.

Hermit Crab
23-09-2018, 03:11 PM
The crowd in front of me managed to gain entry with a 2 litre bottle of "lemonade" and were openly passing it around them and drinking from the bottle with no repercussions.

Now that you mention it I did see someone drinking a bottle of wine in their seat and there was a group drinking a bottle of vodka in their seats.

Kojock
23-09-2018, 03:16 PM
You’re missing my point!

Why should fans need to buy from somewhere cheaper? My point is that fans custom is taken for granted and not appreciated.

If clubs priced their products more reasonably, I certainly would feel more valued as a customer.

Captive audience it's not just football fans who get ripped off with exorbitant food/drink prices. Go to the Playhouse, Odeon take a flight or a train and you pay well over the odds.

MWHIBBIES
23-09-2018, 03:21 PM
You’re missing my point!

If clubs priced their products more reasonably, I certainly would feel more valued as a customer.Because the club is a business. Players aren't paid with how valued the fans feel. They are paid with money.

Why should you need to buy something at the ground? It is garbage regardless of the price. Cheap nasty pies aren't what would make me feel valued anyway.

green day
23-09-2018, 04:36 PM
That used to be the rule and I'd be surprised if it isn't any more.

I'd love to see Hibs standing up for the fans (for once) and actually challenge this

Except a quick google search demonstrates there is nothing to "challenge"

Dundee price matches according to category - and charge their own walk up fans the same price (for the most expensive ticket).

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/dundee-freeze-season-ticket-prices-but-casual-fans-will-be-charged-up-to-30-for-a-game/

Itsnoteasy
23-09-2018, 04:45 PM
Also Dundee season ticket for u12s was £1 for the season when bought with an adult season ticket & any additional season tickets for same age group could be be purchased for £10.
Now that is what you do if you want the younger generation to start to follow their team

Kojock
23-09-2018, 05:34 PM
Also Dundee season ticket for u12s was £1 for the season when bought with an adult season ticket & any additional season tickets for same age group could be be purchased for £10.
Now that is what you do if you want the younger generation to start to follow their team

Crowd yesterday was 6076 take off the 1700 away fans and it leaves 4376 Dundee fans. Cheaper price doesn’t seem to be attracting many fans. Only thing that attracts fans is a winning team and that means fans paying more.

Itsnoteasy
23-09-2018, 07:32 PM
Crowd yesterday was 6076 take off the 1700 away fans and it leaves 4376 Dundee fans. Cheaper price doesn’t seem to be attracting many fans. Only thing that attracts fans is a winning team and that means fans paying more.

Yes I agree with you on the winning team, but my point was £1 for a season ticket.
You don't know at the start of the season how good or bad your team is going to be.

I remember back in the 80's when I was a youngster how sparse ER was.
Not even attracting 6k.
Pre Souness not even 10k at Ibrox.