PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Dundee 220918)

Jonnyboy
22-09-2018, 06:56 PM
In years gone by it seemed often to be the case that a team on a poor run of results would rectify that problem when they played Hibs and I confess I feared that would be the case at Dens Park this afternoon. After thirty minutes or so I still felt nervous, even though the home side had only threatened once while Hibs had passed up at least three good chances to open the scoring. We just seemed a bit disjointed and somewhat outnumbered in midfield. Thankfully, the remaining fifteen minutes of the first half and the whole of the second belonged to the visitors and the final winning margin of three goals was in no way undeserved.

Although Rocky was well on the road to full recovery he was not involved today with Bogdan keeping the gloves and Laidlaw on the bench. There were changes however with Milligan and Slivka both brought in to the starting eleven while Hanlon returned at the expense of Porteous. The hosts were without veteran striker Kenny Miller due to suspension but they started the game brightly, forcing a very early and excellent save from Bogdan. We didn’t know it at the time but that effort was one of only two that Bogdan had to deal with for the entire ninety minutes.

Dundee were busy in midfield and were good at winning the ball back and retaining possession but they were completely toothless up front while Hibs managed to carve out a few chances that saw Kamberi miss a header in front of goal and Mallan knocking the ball towards the net but also straight at Parrish who saved easily. A deep cross from the right reached Horgan in space at the back post but the Hibs man couldn’t get his header on target.

An outrageous penalty box dive by Madianga earned a deserved yellow card from Andrew Dallas and then left back Miller was booked for a shocking high challenge on David Gray. I made a point of watching the reaction of Neil McCann and he looked incensed at both yellow cards but I guess when you’re under the sort of pressure he is, you will react that way.

From the half hour mark until half time, Hibs took control of midfield where Milligan, Mallan and particularly Slivka put the Dundee defence under pressure with fine passes to pick out either Boyle or Horgan. A struggling Dundee must have been relieved to hear the half time whistle.

The second half began with Steven Whittaker on for the injured David Gray and he nearly scored when a brilliant Kamberi drive came off the junction of the post and bar but Parrish managed to push Whitty’s follow up effort over the bar. Hibs were playing with a greater sense of purpose now and took the lead around five minutes in when Boyle released Kamberi with a slide rule pass. The big Swiss striker took the deftest of touches to steer the ball past the advancing Parrish and into the back of the net. Three minutes later, Boyle doubled the lead by taking a delightful ball from Ambrose in his stride before rushing into the box and firing a low shot across the keeper and into the far corner.

It was pretty much all Hibs after that with the hosts offering some decent passing but no penetration. Kamberi should have had a second goal from a Milligan cross but steered his header wide of the post and then substitute Thomas Agyepong curled a left foot effort just over the bar from about twenty yards. The sub then mesmerised the home defence by rushing into the box and doing exactly what Boyle had done in shooting across the keeper and into the bottom corner.

It was a good win that half an hour in to the game I just didn’t see coming. Praise must go to all who played their part and in particular to the defence which held firm and secured a clean sheet. Aberdeen secured a 1-0 win over Motherwell.

The players

Adam – His early save was both excellent and crucial as had he been beaten the final outcome may have been very different.

SDG – Had a fine marauding first half and defended well but took a knock that ruled him out for the second half.

Efe – Majestic is not overstating in my opinion. He was superb throughout and gave the sort of concentrated performance we all know he is capable of. His pass for Boyle’s goal was a thing of beauty.

Paul – It was great to see him back as he was coolness personified in marshalling his defence. He was excellent in the air and read the play very well which was instrumental in stopping Dundee from threatening our goal too often.

Lewis – Like the rest of our team he didn’t have the best opening half hour but came on to a fine game and was in my view unlucky to get booked. He looked much happier with Hanlon beside him on that side of the defence.

Boyler – Our flying Aussie from Aberdeen met a decent match in left back Calvin Miller but he won that battle and scored a fine goal as well as setting Flo up for the opener.

Stevie – Not always directly involved but always looking to be. No free kicks for him to smash home today but plenty of good passes and plenty of hard work. I thought he was brave at times because McGowan looked as though he was out to get him but Mallan just got up and went back for more.

Milligan – After a tentative opening fifteen minutes he came on to a fine game and given that I don’t think he’s had many minutes of play since the World Cup finals I was surprised and delighted to see him last the ninety at Dens.

Slivka – I actually thought he was the only player that looked to be at it in the first half hour and I thought he went from strength to strength as the game went on and he looked to have formed a good partnership with Horgan to his left.

Daryl – I’ve seen him play better for Hibs and I’ve seen him play worse, as in last week against Killie. He wasn’t as prominent in open play with him stuck out on the left but he put in a good shift by working hard for the entire ninety.

Flo – Last week I wanted him hooked until Jamie came on and he sprung into life. Today he looked much more like himself and his touch for the opening goal was sublime. He could have had a hat trick today, but for two poor headed efforts that really should have been converted.

Whitty – Played the whole of the second half after replacing the injured SDG and I thought he was very good. I know he’s not flavour of the month with some but surely anyone that watched him today would give him a high pass mark.

Wee Tommy – Got the last twenty minutes and it was interesting to hear the fans around me urging him to always take on his man. They didn’t know and neither did I that he still has a minor hamstring problem and so sprinting at full pace might not be the best choice at the minute. His quick feet were enough to help him create and take the chance for our third goal.

Oli – Only got the last five minutes or so and was very unlucky not to get the chance of a one on one with their keeper. Just as he looked to break free, the excellent Ryan Inniss just got enough of a touch to deflect the ball away.

Man of the match – There were a few good performances today with both central defenders, Slivka and Milligan catching the eye but on balance I’m going to give it to Efe Ambrose.

The ref – Whisper it but Dallas had a decent game today. Sure, he made a few baffling decisions but nothing earth shattering.

Lenny – I heard his post-match interview and could only really disagree on one point as he said Hibs were excellent throughout whereas I felt we only played to our full potential for the last hour of the game. I enjoyed his ‘aeroplane’ at the end though.

The fans – Over 1,600 which was impressive and I have say I’m glad we won as it made sitting in front of two of the noisiest and drunkest fans I’ve ever heard. Ladies, drink less in future, you’ll enjoy the game more. :greengrin

Scotty Leither
22-09-2018, 07:00 PM
In years gone by it seemed often to be the case that a team on a poor run of results would rectify that problem when they played Hibs and I confess I feared that would be the case at Dens Park this afternoon. After thirty minutes or so I still felt nervous, even though the home side had only threatened once while Hibs had passed up at least three good chances to open the scoring. We just seemed a bit disjointed and somewhat outnumbered in midfield. Thankfully, the remaining fifteen minutes of the first half and the whole of the second belonged to the visitors and the final winning margin of three goals was in no way undeserved.

Although Rocky was well on the road to full recovery he was not involved today with Bogdan keeping the gloves and Laidlaw on the bench. There were changes however with Milligan and Slivka both brought in to the starting eleven while Hanlon returned at the expense of Porteous. The hosts were without veteran striker Kenny Miller due to suspension but they started the game brightly, forcing a very early and excellent save from Bogdan. We didn’t know it at the time but that effort was one of only two that Bogdan had to deal with for the entire ninety minutes.

Dundee were busy in midfield and were good at winning the ball back and retaining possession but they were completely toothless up front while Hibs managed to carve out a few chances that saw Kamberi miss a header in front of goal and Mallan knocking the ball towards the net but also straight at Parrish who saved easily. A deep cross from the right reached Horgan in space at the back post but the Hibs man couldn’t get his header on target.

An outrageous penalty box dive by Madianga earned a deserved yellow card from Andrew Dallas and then left back Miller was booked for a shocking high challenge on David Gray. I made a point of watching the reaction of Neil McCann and he looked incensed at both yellow cards but I guess when you’re under the sort of pressure he is, you will react that way.

From the half hour mark until half time, Hibs took control of midfield where Milligan, Mallan and particularly Slivka put the Dundee defence under pressure with fine passes to pick out either Boyle or Horgan. A struggling Dundee must have been relieved to hear the half time whistle.

The second half began with Steven Whittaker on for the injured David Gray and he nearly scored when a brilliant Kamberi drive came off the junction of the post and bar but Parrish managed to push Whitty’s follow up effort over the bar. Hibs were playing with a greater sense of purpose now and took the lead around five minutes in when Boyle released Kamberi with a slide rule pass. The big Swiss striker took the deftest of touches to steer the ball past the advancing Parrish and into the back of the net. Three minutes later, Boyle doubled the lead by taking a delightful ball from Ambrose in his stride before rushing into the box and firing a low shot across the keeper and into the far corner.

It was pretty much all Hibs after that with the hosts offering some decent passing but no penetration. Kamberi should have had a second goal from a Milligan cross but steered his header wide of the post and then substitute Thomas Agyepong curled a left foot effort just over the bar from about twenty yards. The sub then mesmerised the home defence by rushing into the box and doing exactly what Boyle had done in shooting across the keeper and into the bottom corner.

It was a good win that half an hour in to the game I just didn’t see coming. Praise must go to all who played their part and in particular to the defence which held firm and secured a clean sheet. Aberdeen secured a 1-0 win over Motherwell.

The players

Adam – His early save was both excellent and crucial as had he been beaten the final outcome may have been very different.

SDG – Had a fine marauding first half and defended well but took a knock that ruled him out for the second half.

Efe – Majestic is not overstating in my opinion. He was superb throughout and gave the sort of concentrated performance we all know he is capable of. His pass for Boyle’s goal was a thing of beauty.

Paul – It was great to see him back as he was coolness personified in marshalling his defence. He was excellent in the air and read the play very well which was instrumental in stopping Dundee from threatening our goal too often.

Lewis – Like the rest of our team he didn’t have the best opening half hour but came on to a fine game and was in my view unlucky to get booked. He looked much happier with Hanlon beside him on that side of the defence.

Boyler – Our flying Aussie from Aberdeen met a decent match in left back Calvin Miller but he won that battle and scored a fine goal as well as setting Flo up for the opener.

Stevie – Not always directly involved but always looking to be. No free kicks for him to smash home today but plenty of good passes and plenty of hard work. I thought he was brave at times because McGowan looked as though he was out to get him but Mallan just got up and went back for more.

Milligan – After a tentative opening fifteen minutes he came on to a fine game and given that I don’t think he’s had many minutes of play since the World Cup finals I was surprised and delighted to see him last the ninety at Dens.

Slivka – I actually thought he was the only player that looked to be at it in the first half hour and I thought he went from strength to strength as the game went on and he looked to have formed a good partnership with Horgan to his left.

Daryl – I’ve seen him play better for Hibs and I’ve seen him play worse, as in last week against Killie. He wasn’t as prominent in open play with him stuck out on the left but he put in a good shift by working hard for the entire ninety.

Flo – Last week I wanted him hooked until Jamie came on and he sprung into life. Today he looked much more like himself and his touch for the opening goal was sublime. He could have had a hat trick today, but for two poor headed efforts that really should have been converted.

Whitty – Played the whole of the second half after replacing the injured SDG and I thought he was very good. I know he’s not flavour of the month with some but surely anyone that watched him today would give him a high pass mark.

Wee Tommy – Got the last twenty minutes and it was interesting to hear the fans around me urging him to always take on his man. They didn’t know and neither did I that he still has a minor hamstring problem and so sprinting at full pace might not be the best choice at the minute. His quick feet were enough to help him create and take the chance for our third goal.

Oli – Only got the last five minutes or so and was very unlucky not to get the chance of a one on one with their keeper. Just as he looked to break free, the excellent Ryan Inniss just got enough of a touch to deflect the ball away.

Man of the match – There were a few good performances today with both central defenders, Slivka and Milligan catching the eye but on balance I’m going to give it to Efe Ambrose.

The ref – Whisper it but Dallas had a decent game today. Sure, he made a few baffling decisions but nothing earth shattering.

Lenny – I heard his post-match interview and could only really disagree on one point as he said Hibs were excellent throughout whereas I felt we only played to our full potential for the last hour of the game. I enjoyed his ‘aeroplane’ at the end though.

The fans – Over 1,600 which was impressive and I have say I’m glad we won as it made sitting in front of two of the noisiest and drunkest fans I’ve ever heard. Ladies, drink less in future, you’ll enjoy the game more. :greengrin

Good stuff as usual, John. Thanks also for the brief report on the Aberdeen v Motherwell game. :-)

Golden Bear
22-09-2018, 07:05 PM
I'm getting too auld to attend the away games Jonnyboy so much appreciate the comprehensive post match reports by a youngster like yourself. 😁

Billy Whizz
22-09-2018, 07:13 PM
Great report John, and 100% agree with Efe as man of the match. Other than the early great save from Bogdan, I’m struggling to think of another save in the whole game
Really enjoyed 2nd half, and with a bit better finishing it could have been 4/5
Great confidence boost before Tuesdays massive game

Hope Gray’s injury isn’t bad, although Whittaker played impressively. Flo signalled to the bench before he came off, hopefully nothing major, as we seem to be picking up many injuries

PatHead
22-09-2018, 07:23 PM
Great report to match a really good performance.

marinello59
22-09-2018, 07:24 PM
Pretty much how I saw it JB. Efe was at his best today but for a solid 90 minute performance Slivka was man of the match for me.

Bay Area Hibees
22-09-2018, 07:42 PM
Super report as always
Enjoy reading these in San Francisco every week even if I’ve watched game on hibs tv

Cat Stanton
22-09-2018, 07:42 PM
Good stuff as usual, John. Thanks also for the brief report on the Aberdeen v Motherwell game. :-)

I was also confused by the brief marauding invasion of the Aberdeen report. Other than that, thank you for a report that I now always look out for. Cheers!

bigwheel
22-09-2018, 08:03 PM
Always great to read these...for me I thought Hanlon did very well for his first start since injury..and Efe didn't put a foot wrong. Special mention to Whittaker for a strong contribution when he came on. Was particularly delighted that he shut up the boy near me who shouted at him to "stay in the dressing room" when he was called in to get ready to come on at half time..top supporting that [emoji102]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Speedway
22-09-2018, 08:07 PM
Saturday nights aren’t complete without JC reporting from the field these days.

Much appreciated.

MSK
22-09-2018, 08:12 PM
Thanks JC, match report very much enjoyed and appreciated 👍

Jonnyboy
22-09-2018, 09:17 PM

Blast, I thought I'd deleted that :faf:

H18S NX
22-09-2018, 09:40 PM
Thanks John,much appreciated.

Argylehibby
22-09-2018, 10:11 PM
Thought Paul Hanlon was mam of the match today, he won everything, but that apart agree with every word of the report JB.

O'Rourke3
22-09-2018, 10:27 PM
Thought Paul Hanson was mam of the match today, he won everything, but that apart agree with every word of the report JB.Not Martin Boyd?

Sent from my KFTBWI using Tapatalk

Hibrandenburg
23-09-2018, 12:27 AM
Still the report to come to when I've not been able to follow the game. Thanks JB.

CMurdoch
23-09-2018, 01:02 AM
Good accurate report as ever.
FWIW I thought Whittaker was very good playing at full back for the 2nd half.
This is where he needs to play.
We won with ease and basically tried to play keep ball after scoring the 2nd goal.
Fun in the sun.

AZhibee
23-09-2018, 01:16 AM
Thanks as always Jonnyboy :flag:

houstonhibbee
23-09-2018, 02:58 AM
Super report as always
Enjoy reading these in San Francisco every week even if I’ve watched game on hibs tv
You got today’s game on hibs tv?

Hermit Crab
23-09-2018, 10:08 AM
The boy that got booked for diving, I thought he was Dundees best player, fast, tricky and energetic.

Smartie
23-09-2018, 10:16 AM
I was critical of Efe a few weeks ago but he's put in a few outstanding performances since then.

It's funny how he seems to start seasons slowly then improve once he feels his way in.

I'm not sure how an Ambrose/Hanlon partnership would stand up to more pressure, certainly of the physical kind but they did well against the movement and short passing of Dundee when they were playing ok during the first half.

Efe drives me up the wall at times, and just as soon as I start to think he should be dropped he starts to show the kind of form that makes him probably our best player.

We as fans can be very guilty of seeing things as black and white, without nuance or shades of grey. With Efe there is no middle ground - he's either brilliant or terrible.

Fortunately for us, he seems to have settled upon being brilliant again.

Billy Whizz
23-09-2018, 10:43 AM

Blast, I thought I'd deleted that :faf:

So what game did you actually go too?

Bostonhibby
23-09-2018, 10:54 AM
Cheers for that JB. Nearly as good as being there. One I was hoping to be at but had to pull out of the trip at the last minute[emoji34]

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Jonnyboy
23-09-2018, 01:41 PM
[QUOTE=Jonnyboy;5557009]

So what game did you actually go too?

😂

Viva_Palmeiras
23-09-2018, 05:38 PM
JohnnyBoy et al - why is it that Hanlon is persistently looked over for a Scotland cap?!

Kavinho
23-09-2018, 05:39 PM
Too many lapses in concentration for me?
Don't know others thoughts

Argylehibby
23-09-2018, 05:45 PM
JohnnyBoy et al - why is it that Hanlon is persistently looked over for a Scotland cap?!

No idea, he was in McLeish's first squad but never since. Henry at Celtic getting into a squad ahead of him is a shocker IMO. I think he's better than Souter as well but his manager has talked up his performances and for some reason McLeish has listened.

B.H.F.C
23-09-2018, 06:14 PM
No idea, he was in McLeish's first squad but never since. Henry at Celtic getting into a squad ahead of him is a shocker IMO. I think he's better than Souter as well but his manager has talked up his performances and for some reason McLeish has listened.

Taking the green tinted glasses off, Souttar has been part of a good defence over the last year and a bit. He’s a better age than Hanlon in terms of being able to develop him further. Also, we’re quite well covered for left sided players in that position and Souttar brings a bit balance.

Hanlon is a good player for us. Thought the defence was much more assured with him in it yesterday. But I’m not sure he’s an international player.

c31
23-09-2018, 06:16 PM
Think it was Malky McKay's squad...v Netherlands, that Paul was part off..(maybe).

Jonnyboy
24-09-2018, 07:53 AM

I reckon he’s down the pecking order, sadly.

BILLYHIBS
24-09-2018, 08:15 AM
The Soutar over Hanlon thing is baffling imo.

OK Soutar has been part of a very good start to Hearts season has age on his side and yes he has been talked up by his Manager.

He has also played well for Scotland by all accounts so good luck to him.

I have not seen a lot of Soapy Soutar so cannot really comment in fairness thinking back the last time I saw him in the flesh Simon Murray was nutmegging him in the box and smashing the ball into the roof of the net :greengrin

Girls don’t like boys girls like Simon Murray!