PDA

View Full Version : Slivka

cameronw-hfc
22-09-2018, 04:48 PM
How did he play? Was it him and Milligan sitting with mallan further forward or mallan sitting? Worth a place next week?

Didn't make it to the game and always thought Slivka looks like he could be a real asset if played consistently.

Heckys Wheel
22-09-2018, 05:03 PM
Had a good game. Both him and Milligan were very good.

We look a lot more solid in there with them two and Mallan looks like he’ll thrive playing beside those two.

Hi Heid Yin
22-09-2018, 05:28 PM
Slivka, for me (again) drifted in and out of the game and there were times I forgot he was on the field.
Today, at best, he was tidy.

Borderhibbie76
22-09-2018, 05:48 PM
Slivka, for me (again) drifted in and out of the game and there were times I forgot he was on the field.
Today, at best, he was tidy.1st half id agree but he was excellent 2nd half

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

BOB MARLEYS DUG
22-09-2018, 05:51 PM
Was Mallan playing in a more forward/attacking midfield role with Slivka and Milligan sitting in behind/deeper?

Seveno
22-09-2018, 05:56 PM
I am sorry to say that I thought he was poor. Lost possession too easily and slow to mad a pass. He seems lacking in confidence perhaps because he has not had a run of games.

mentalhibee
22-09-2018, 06:14 PM
Played well today, some brilliant passes. Think he’ll be a regular this season.

Hibs90
22-09-2018, 06:15 PM
He really needs a good 10-15 game run in the team.

whereswallace?
22-09-2018, 06:15 PM
Poor first half. Much much better second half.

calumhibee1
22-09-2018, 06:20 PM

Pretty much how I seen it. 6/10 overall for me. Hopefully he can produce more performances like the second half.

BegbieHSC
22-09-2018, 06:24 PM
Thought he was a stand out today tbh. Good 8/10

theonlywayisup
22-09-2018, 06:50 PM
Don't you just love Hibs.net

I am sorry to say that I thought he was poor. Lost possession too easily and slow to mad a pass. He seems lacking in confidence perhaps because he has not had a run of games.

Today, at best, he was tidy.

Had a good game. Both him and Milligan were very good.

We look a lot more solid in there with them two and Mallan looks like he’ll thrive playing beside those two.

MWHIBBIES
22-09-2018, 06:50 PM

Nonsense. Lost possession twice all day, rewatch if you don't believe me. Good performance from him, involved in all our good moves

B.H.F.C
22-09-2018, 06:52 PM

Like most of them.

He was better today. Needs to kick on from that second half.

Hiber-nation
22-09-2018, 06:55 PM

Can't believe anyone could see it that way. Bizarre.

stoneyburn hibs
22-09-2018, 06:57 PM
I think he needs games for confidence. He has it but it's been patchy. Like everyone else I'd love him to be a success.

PatHead
22-09-2018, 07:15 PM
I thought he was good today. However I think he has the ability to dominate matches which he didn’t do.

A good run in the team will bring that.

BILLYHIBS
22-09-2018, 07:44 PM
Enigma !

Sammy7nil
22-09-2018, 07:55 PM
He really needs a good 10-15 game run in the team.

Why? Surely if he fails consistently to take his chance he does not deserve a run of games.

Brightside
22-09-2018, 07:55 PM
Coach said he played well

marinello59
22-09-2018, 08:04 PM

Man of the match for me. Good first half , excellent second half.

bingo70
22-09-2018, 08:06 PM

What coach?

Don’t think Lennon mentioned him in the post match interview?

MWHIBBIES
22-09-2018, 09:17 PM
Why? Surely if he fails consistently to take his chance he does not deserve a run of games.

He hasnt failed at all though, he has never let us down.

Inconsequential
22-09-2018, 09:24 PM
Enigma ! Mea Culpa!

Blaster
22-09-2018, 09:35 PM

He’s also said Whitaker played well but you choose to ignore that
Some would say you have an agenda

Sammy7nil
22-09-2018, 09:52 PM
He hasnt failed at all though, he has never let us down.

And he has never grabbed his chance or he would be a regular starter. He is absolutely fine but not a definite starter yet he still has a bit to do.

Hi Heid Yin
22-09-2018, 10:13 PM
And he has never grabbed his chance or he would be a regular starter. He is absolutely fine but not a definite starter yet he still has a bit to do.

This is where I am with Slivka.
I so want for him to impact games when he does get his chance, but fleeting moments of guile and the odd 45 minutes of tidy football is all that I have witnessed in most of the games I have seen him play.
Without question he is technically gifted and I'm sure that he tries his best, but I do now wonder if the Scottish game is too fast and frenetic for him. Maybe a slower continental game would suit him better.
I can only trust in Neil Lennon to see things in Slivka's game that I don't. He, after all, will not tolerate slackers or players who have nothing to offer.
Come on Slivka, get me off my seat and win me over!!

BILLYHIBS
22-09-2018, 11:41 PM
Mea Culpa!
Many years ago I had a coach at CSS where I would have one game where I was unplayable followed by two games where I was anonymous followed by another where I was mom He would always play me in the big games just in case I felt in the mood He called me one of the games great enigmas My problem with Slivka is we are still waiting on that one good game not fancy dan drifting in and out not good enough MEA CULPA!

Mibbes Aye
22-09-2018, 11:49 PM
Lot of pish being talked about Slivka IMO

He is a tidy player who does the mechanics in midfield, he’s rarely going to score a raker, nor is he going to dribble past five and slot it in.

He will show, he will receive, he will pass and he will move. And show for the next pass.

We are lost without players who can do that, we really are.

BILLYHIBS
22-09-2018, 11:59 PM
Good point agree with what you say scored a cracking goal at Ibrox at the start of last season a good tidy player had a midfield berth on a plate at the start of the season after we lost our midfield but did not produce hence dropped until today after last appearing in Europe needs to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and assert his authority will be interesting to see if he has done enough today to start against Aberdeen In Lenny we trust 😁

truehibernian
23-09-2018, 12:00 AM

He is a tidy player who does the mechanics in midfield, he’s rarely going to score a raker, nor is he going to dribble past five and slot it in.

He will show, he will receive, he will pass and he will move. And show for the next pass.

This 100% - baffles the life out of me how some don't see it in VS - he's a superb player, one who admittedly is a confidence player, but given a few games he never ever lets the side down. Always see him as a very intelligent and thoughtful player, which in this frenetic league is a rarity. :aok: one day the penny will drop with most fans, a bit like those who didn't think Lewis was any good. Both of them are the safest in possession at the club :agree:

CMurdoch
23-09-2018, 12:15 AM
This 100% - baffles the life out of me how some don't see it in VS - he's a superb player, one who admittedly is a confidence player, but given a few games he never ever lets the side down. Always see him as a very intelligent and thoughtful player, which in this frenetic league is a rarity. :aok: one day the penny will drop with most fans, a bit like those who didn't think Lewis was any good. Both of them are the safest in possession at the club :agree:

He is another player who will benefit from Milligan's arrival.
The passing and holding ability of both gives our midfield the substance and strength it has been missing since Messrs McGinn & McGeoch moved on.

Dalianwanda
23-09-2018, 12:18 AM
poorly brilliant...........i’ll trust the manager.

Hermit Crab
23-09-2018, 02:21 AM
Great game today, player, end of.

Hulk1875
23-09-2018, 02:24 AM
Wasn’t at game today but hopefully by sound of it Milligan is the battler with skill that will allow the other midfielders to go do there stuff

ian cruise
23-09-2018, 05:37 AM

Potentially the new McGeough in that sense. Many didn't think he was good enough, did enough when fit and didn't score goals until it was clear we weren't going to be able to keep him then it was panic stations as we'd never see the likes of him in midfield again.

Slivka does his job well and there's signs that he's going to get better in a settled midfield. Perseverance is needed by some.

Brightside
23-09-2018, 06:39 AM
He’s also said Whitaker played well but you choose to ignore that
Some would say you have an agenda

Don’t be a walloper. I bumped into Gary last night he said Slivka done well. No mention of anyone else. OK.

Sammy7nil
23-09-2018, 07:02 AM

Posts like this drive me nuts. If VS is "superb" what does that make players like McGinn? I will repeat myself VS is an okay player who has yet to do enough to hold down a a first team start. If he was "superb" he would start Every week and have a host of suitors.

wandering_hibee
23-09-2018, 07:10 AM
VS had a very good game yesterday, always made himself available and most of the time found an outlet. Definitely underrated by some but needs to get a good run in the team now that we have an excellent central midfielder.

superfurryhibby
23-09-2018, 07:14 AM
Posts like this drive me nuts. If VS is "superb" what does that make players like McGinn? I will repeat myself VS is an okay player who has yet to do enough to hold down a a first team start. If he was "superb" he would start Every week and have a host of suitors.

You have to see past the hyperbole and take it with a pinch of salt.What they mean is they hope Slivka can become the player they describe. The opinion that matters is Lennon's. He hasn't made VS a regular and that says a lot. Really hope he does find some consistency and establish himself, there is a place for him, but so far his Hibs career report says must do better.

B.H.F.C
23-09-2018, 07:18 AM

I’m baffled at you being baffled.

If the penny is still to drop with some of us then surely we must be waiting on it dropping for Neil Lennon as well seen as Slivka has spent more time on the bench than in the team?

He settled and did well after the first 15-20 minutes yesterday. He needs to kick on now. He clearly has a bit quality but he has miles to go before he can be considered a ‘superb’ Hibs player.

Borderhibbie76
23-09-2018, 07:44 AM

If the penny is still to drop with some of us then surely we must be waiting on it dropping for Neil Lennon as well seen as Slivka has spent more time on the bench than in the team?

He settled and did well after the first 15-20 minutes yesterday. He needs to kick on now. He clearly has a bit quality but he has miles to go before he can be considered a ‘superb’ Hibs player.Agreed he's not superb but some fans need to stop expecting him to be the next SJM too...ever since we signed him he's been earmarked as McGinns replacement and it's not fair. He had a much better game than Mallan imo yesterday but I agree he does need to kick on from this and make that place in the team his own...think we all want him to do well as its clear there is a player in there...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
23-09-2018, 08:06 AM
Penny needs to drop with Silvka simple as or he won’t be at Easter Road.

He has had more than enough chances.

Every HIBS fan wants him to succeed only he can do it.

We we all know there is a great player in there somewhere

Juve do not sign mugs.

As stated previously will be interesting to see if Lenny starts him in a one off winner takes all League Cup QF against Aberdeen.

Smartie
23-09-2018, 08:06 AM

He did all of this to great effect yesterday, and the team played much, much better as a result.

The middle 3 worked better in the second half yesterday than they have all season and that was as much due to Slivka as the other 2.

We have decent pace on both wings, a good threat from distance from Mallan and a good target man in Kamberi. During the second half especially I thought Slivka did a great job of retaining possession, switching play and continuing to probe for openings. Mallan did this effectively as well.

You can play well without scoring rakers or continually putting in bonecrunching tackles.

The whole team looked better yesterday.

StevieC
23-09-2018, 08:45 AM
I said at half time that I thought Slivka was playing well. There was a lot of movement from him across the midfield as he looked to make himself available for passes. In the second half, more players started doing what he had done in the first and more and more spaces started appearing for us to exploit.

Hibby Kay-Yay
23-09-2018, 09:06 AM
So what was the actual formation? Neil said that it was new and they were still adapting to it.

Smartie
23-09-2018, 09:09 AM
So what was the actual formation? Neil said that it was new and they were still adapting to it.

It looked like a straightforward 451 to me.

We struggled to get support to Kamberi first half, we did much better during the second.

bigwheel
23-09-2018, 09:10 AM

It was a derivation of 4-1-4-1... there was something different about the 4 supporting Kamberi that despite watching, I couldn’t quite nail down ..Milligan in the holding role ..

J-C
23-09-2018, 09:34 AM
It was a derivation of 4-1-4-1... there was something different about the 4 supporting Kamberi that despite watching, I couldn’t quite nail down ..Milligan in the holding role ..

Probably the inverted xmas tree shape, Milligan at the base , Mallan and Slivka ahead, Horgan and Boyle slightly further up on either wing with Kamberi on his own. This shape is very adaptable and can go from 4-5-1/4-1-4-1/4-3-3 throughout the game, Liverpool, Man City play it with great effect.

bigwheel
23-09-2018, 09:40 AM
Probably the inverted xmas tree shape, Milligan at the base , Mallan and Slivka ahead, Horgan and Boyle slightly further up on either wing with Kamberi on his own. This shape is very adaptable and can go from 4-5-1/4-1-4-1/4-3-3 throughout the game, Liverpool, Man City play it with great effect.

Sounds a decent description [emoji106]

PatHead
23-09-2018, 09:42 AM

Your description reminds me of Mike Basset England manager.

Vini1875
23-09-2018, 11:33 AM
He is not good enough for Hibs in the SPFL. He may be a player better suited to a different league. I'm not saying he is a poor player, but beyond one strike at ibrox and a header v celtc I find it hard to think of any games where he made an impact. I do think Scottish football does not suit all players and for me Slivka is one of those who probably thrive in a slower more technical type of league.

HibeeDaz6270
23-09-2018, 11:43 AM
He is not good enough for Hibs in the SPFL. He may be a player better suited to a different league. I'm not saying he is a poor player, but beyond one strike at ibrox and a header v celtc I find it hard to think of any games where he made an impact. I do think Scottish football does not suit all players and for me Slivka is one of those who probably thrive in a slower more technical type of league.
Sorry but that is nonsense .

We are a better side with him in at . If you watch him closely he is a step ahead of others at times

Robbo6-2
23-09-2018, 11:44 AM
The problem with Slivka is he does some really good things for 10-15min spells and then totally drops out of the game for long periods.

Yesterday he was excellent from 45mins to 60min mark then hardly got a touch.

At the minute I would say he is better than Hyndman so he will start in the current formation.

MWHIBBIES
23-09-2018, 11:53 AM
He was more than good enough yesterday, no talk nonsense.

MWHIBBIES
23-09-2018, 11:54 AM
The problem with Slivka is he does some really good things for 10-15min spells and then totally drops out of the game for long periods.

Yesterday he was excellent from 45mins to 60min mark then hardly got a touch.

At the minute I would say he is better than Hyndman so he will start in the current formation.

He was good for the first half as well, he was good for 1 hour. He slowed down as Hibs did, probably related to fitness.

alihibs1
23-09-2018, 11:58 AM
Slivka was brilliant yesterday. Always made himself available and didn't hide unlike Hyndman last week.

He still has alot to improve on but he's got bags of potential.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
23-09-2018, 12:31 PM
I really like Slivka but I've always thought he's never quite showed what he has to offer. Glad to see the consensus is he played well yesterday, hopefully the start of a run in the team and a run of form.

The_Horde
23-09-2018, 12:32 PM

Bit harsh on him. He can do that stuff too but I feel he's shown his best skills when he's in and around opposition penalty areas.

Felt he had a cracking game yesterday. Was very important to how we played.

Hi Heid Yin
23-09-2018, 02:33 PM

Your post is sound apart from your opening words (in bold)
No need for this.

J-C
23-09-2018, 03:01 PM
Your description reminds me of Mike Basset England manager.

Haha
I can see what Lennon is trying to achieve and with the right players it is a very flexible system, the main thing is the players have to work hard and put in a shift, we can't afford any slackers, when it's done right it's very good to watch.

jacomo
23-09-2018, 03:10 PM

He settled and did well after the first 15-20 minutes yesterday. He needs to kick on now. He clearly has a bit quality but he has miles to go before he can be considered a ‘superb’ Hibs player.

:agree:

Ridiculous extremes as usual, it seems he is either ‘never good enough’ or a ‘superb player’.

As usual the truth is somewhere in between. I think Slivka could be a very important player for us, and I think we should be patient and give him a run to see how he can develop... but the fact is that he hasn’t done that much in a Hibs shirt yet.

we are hibs
23-09-2018, 03:32 PM
I'm unsure what people want or expect from slivka in all honesty. Last season he wasn't given a decent run in the side and was chucked in for big games out the blue on a few occasions and he mostly performed well. He's not overly fast and not overly aggressive in his play but he is neat and tidy and has a bit of skill about him. People were saying mallan would benefit from having a proper defensive mid in Milligan behind him maybe it's the same for slivka?

Inconsequential
23-09-2018, 03:47 PM
Probably the inverted xmas tree shape, Milligan at the base , Mallan and Slivka ahead, Horgan and Boyle slightly further up on either wing with Kamberi on his own. This shape is very adaptable and can go from 4-5-1/4-1-4-1/4-3-3 throughout the game, Liverpool, Man City play it with great effect. Every year it gets earlier and earlier Christmas that is. It's only the 23rd of Sept. Three months of Christmas this, Christmas that, fed up with it already. Please edit your post and replace Xmas tree with cone shape... Bah Humbug! :wink:

hibbyfraelibby
23-09-2018, 04:28 PM
Slicks was signed as Dylans replacement. He was never going to feature much last season while Dylan was still here. He has the skill and the talent he just needs regular game time in the right role to get his confidence to the required level.

Since90+2
23-09-2018, 04:31 PM
Slicks was signed as Dylans replacement. He was never going to feature much last season while Dylan was still here. He has the skill and the talent he just needs regular game time in the right role to get his confidence to the required level.

He's nothing like Dylan , either in style or ability.

DickieDastardly
23-09-2018, 04:52 PM
I'm unsure what people want or expect from slivka in all honesty. Last season he wasn't given a decent run in the side and was chucked in for big games out the blue on a few occasions and he mostly performed well. He's not overly fast and not overly aggressive in his play but he is neat and tidy and has a bit of skill about him. People were saying mallan would benefit from having a proper defensive mid in Milligan behind him maybe it's the same for slivka?
Think this is fairly accurate for me, probably needs a run but questionable if he does enough in cameo appearances to justify. Would love him to succeed but do not think he is dynamic enough.

Mibbes Aye
23-09-2018, 05:11 PM
Bit harsh on him. He can do that stuff too but I feel he's shown his best skills when he's in and around opposition penalty areas.

Felt he had a cracking game yesterday. Was very important to how we played.

The important thing is we need someone who can do the catching and ferrying. That takes skill but more importantly technical competence. The art of taking a pass, taking a touch and then moving it on positively is subtle but crucial. We are not good at recognising it in the Scottish game but Dylan had it and I think Slivka does too

jacomo
23-09-2018, 05:13 PM

If anything, a replacement for SJM no?

jacomo
23-09-2018, 05:15 PM
The important thing is we need someone who can do the catching and ferrying. That takes skill but more importantly technical competence. The art of taking a pass, taking a touch and then moving it on positively is subtle but crucial. We are not good at recognising it in the Scottish game but Dylan had it and I think Slivka does too

Not sure he’s that sort of player at all and I think you will be disappointed if that’s what you are expecting.

SRHibs
23-09-2018, 05:18 PM
He's nothing like Dylan , either in style or ability.

I think this is his problem - not that he’s not like Dylan, just that no-one seems to know where he should be playing. Technically Slivka is great: he’s skilful, especially for someone of his stature, and his distribution is superb. There just seems to be a ton of indecision about what his position is. I also think he needs to be more ambitious with his passing, and attempt more defence-splitting passes (which he’s clearly capable of).

Don’t think I’ve ever wanted someone to succeed as much as I do Slivka.

Mibbes Aye
23-09-2018, 05:26 PM
Not sure he’s that sort of player at all and I think you will be disappointed if that’s what you are expecting.

Think we see him as a link player,

What are you expecting?

Mr_F
23-09-2018, 05:29 PM
Lithuanian EDG

whiskas
23-09-2018, 05:38 PM
I like Slivka but. I think he needs to be more physically assertive in games and not be afraid to put himself about. For someone who’s about 6’4” and built like Ivan Drago he couldn’t tackle a fish supper.

SRHibs
23-09-2018, 05:42 PM
I like Slivka but. I think he needs to be more physically assertive in games and not be afraid to put himself about. For someone who’s about 6’4” and built like Ivan Drago he couldn’t tackle a fish supper.

Maybe you’re right. On a similar note, Marvin Bartley and Daz McG really need to start spraying 50 yard passes all over the pitch. They’ve got feet so what’s the problem? They play like they’re wearing steel toecaps.

whiskas
23-09-2018, 05:53 PM
Maybe you’re right. On a similar note, Marvin Bartley and Daz McG really need to start spraying 50 yard passes all over the pitch. They’ve got feet so what’s the problem? They play like they’re wearing steel toecaps.

The difference is that Slivka’s still relatively young, has a bit of skill about him and it’s easier for him to adapt/improve his game. And Bartley is actually a better footballer than he’s given credit for IMO (though he does suffer from nosebleeds in the final third!)
We’ve got a gap in our midfield, it’s up to him to play his way into it on the training pitch and on the park.

Iggy Pope
23-09-2018, 06:16 PM
Lithuanian EDG

Well taken winning goals against both of the OF would suggest otherwise friend.

Shrekko
23-09-2018, 06:24 PM
Lithuanian EDG

Totally respect your opinion except for the fact its absolute nonsense.

Slivka is enigmatic but you know what? He’s a young guy adapting to a totally new culture and style of football. He’s doing ok and has made decent contributions. At worst he’s been a good squad player whilst here, at best I think he could be very good.

HoboHarry
23-09-2018, 06:34 PM
Lithuanian EDG

:doh:

Sammy7nil
23-09-2018, 06:45 PM
Sorry but that is nonsense .

We are a better side with him in at . If you watch him closely he is a step ahead of others at times

LOL if he is a step ahead slow down :greengrin:wink: He has proved to be okay so far and never ever a step ahead of anybody in fact he always arrives late for tackle and just never makes one.

Hibbyradge
23-09-2018, 06:51 PM
Your post is sound apart from your opening words (in bold)
No need for this.

Sorry, LL, but that's funny.

Hi Heid Yin
23-09-2018, 06:59 PM
Sorry, LL, but that's funny.

I like to inject a bit of humour :wink:

Elephant Stone
23-09-2018, 07:14 PM
Lithuanian EDG

Aye, if you ignore his height, age, athleticism and ability they're pretty similar. Good shout.

JimBHibees
23-09-2018, 07:46 PM
Lithuanian EDG

Laughable comparison

J-C
23-09-2018, 07:56 PM
It was always going to be hard getting like for like for McGinn and McGeouch, Slivka seems to have a bit of both players about him. Technically very good, gets space to receive and give a pass, quick thinking, good feet and capable of making runs into the box like we seen yesterday when his shot hit the bar, having Milligan there will only help him and Mallan get that space and freedom to create.

truehibernian
23-09-2018, 08:25 PM
It was always going to be hard getting like for like for McGinn and McGeouch, Slivka seems to have a bit of both players about him. Technically very good, gets space to receive and give a pass, quick thinking, good feet and capable of making runs into the box like we seen yesterday when his shot hit the bar, having Milligan there will only help him and Mallan get that space and freedom to create.

Good post and I agree that someone like Milligan next to him is an ideal foil - time and time again yesterday Milligan won possession and his outball was Slivka who was then able to get forward and use the width of the pitch with his passing. If you watch the whole game back it's also clear to see he has a good engine on him as more often than not when he started attacks by playing a pass out wide, he got into the box with Flo.

I saw folk accusing me of hyperbole when I said he was/is a superb player but it's subjective at the end of the day and we all have our opinions on players. I think Slivka is a superb player and needs a run of games in a balanced midfield - which he has not had due to having the likes of SJM and Dylan ahead of him. I hope he continues to shine this season.

Sergio sledge
23-09-2018, 08:33 PM
Last season's 3-5-2 worked so well because we had the perfect 3 in midfield, we didn't need a DM because the spare CB was able to step up at times to cover. With the midfielders we have now it seems like Lennon is trying to change to having a DM in Milligan, playing a 4-5-1/4-3-3. Which means you don't necessarily need direct replacements for McGeouch or McGinn.

IMHO, from what I've seen, our best 3 in midfield currently is Milligan, Slivka and Mallan. I like Slivka, he's not a direct replacement for McGinn or McGeouch, but he doesn't have to be in this formation. Hopefully he can get a run of games and show his qualities.

Hermit Crab
23-09-2018, 08:59 PM
Lithuanian EDG

:fishin: