PDA

View Full Version : Martin Boyle

Inconsequential
22-09-2018, 04:40 PM
Nice to see Neil Lennon praising Martin Boyle describing him as an outstanding player. Makes a change from negative remarks from some posters that he is a poor finisher and has no end product. I think our manager is better qualified than most to judge. Neil Lennon also says Boyle can only get better so let's get behind Martin and encourage him rather than doubt his abilities. Maybe soon we will have 3 Aussie World Cup stars in our team!

WeeRussell
22-09-2018, 05:34 PM
He is an outstanding player, but isn’t a great finisher.

What’s the need to use lennon’s praise to have a go at hibs.net posters? I don’t know of anyone on here that isn’t a fan of Boyle...

MyJo
22-09-2018, 05:41 PM
I love Squirrel but I’m not going to argue against the fact he lacks composure in front of goal and isn’t the best of finishers, that’s just the facts based on his performances over the last couple of seasons.

When he gets to the stage he is scoring goals on a weekly basis then a move away from us won’t be too long afterwards.

bawheid
22-09-2018, 05:42 PM
If he was an amazing finisher he wouldn’t be at Hibs......

:duck: :greengrin

Seveno
22-09-2018, 05:58 PM
As well as scoring a great goal, he took the ball down beautifully to set up Flo’s goal.

wookie70
22-09-2018, 06:49 PM
I've seen him have outstanding games playing wide right but very few playing up top in the centre where Lennon has been forced to play him this season for quite a few games. He is a great player for Hibs, energy, effort, never gives up but isn't the best when it comes to end product and not the best footballing brain.

SChibs
22-09-2018, 06:51 PM
I dunno if I'm one of the posters in question as I said he wasn't good enough for Scotland but for the record I love Martin
boyle

stoneyburn hibs
22-09-2018, 06:53 PM
Should be capped

BILLYHIBS
22-09-2018, 06:57 PM
When he scored the second I was jumping up and down going radge shouting “I knew you could do it! “ It was the perfect execution head over the ball keeping the ball low and hard and most importantly on target and seemed to pass right through the Dundee goalie.
I too was one one of dem posters I am hoping for more of the same and I too love Martin Boyle.

Wilson
22-09-2018, 06:58 PM
Nice to see Neil Lennon praising Martin Boyle describing him as an outstanding player. Makes a change from negative remarks from some posters that he is a poor finisher and has no end product. I think our manager is better qualified than most to judge. Neil Lennon also says Boyle can only get better so let's get behind Martin and encourage him rather than doubt his abilities. Maybe soon we will have 3 Aussie World Cup stars in our team!

Also saw a quite from Lennon saying Boyle needs to add goals. That is from a man far better qualified than most but also ties in with fan comments on his end product.

Perhaps folk that watch him every week should be allowed an opinion after all.

Onion
22-09-2018, 07:05 PM

Lennon knows what each player needs to hear, called good man management. Not quite the same for fans posting on a forum. Lenny is doing a great job.

Diclonius
22-09-2018, 07:07 PM
We seemed to go around 10 years without having a decent quality winger, and Boyle changed that. He's a great player and hopefully one that stays with us for a long time.

Inconsequential
22-09-2018, 07:10 PM
Lennon knows what each player needs to hear, called good man management. Not quite the same for fans posting on a forum. Lenny is doing a great job. Spot on Onion.

Inconsequential
22-09-2018, 07:14 PM
We seemed to go around 10 years without having a decent quality winger, and Boyle changed that. He's a great player and hopefully one that stays with us for a long time. I agree entirely and he has scored 20 goals in less than 100 games for Hibs. Not bad in my book.

neil7908
23-09-2018, 08:21 AM
As well as scoring a great goal, he took the ball down beautifully to set up Flo’s goal.

Yup, his touch and pass to set up Kamberi was fantastic.

I've always felt Martin was too reliant on the his pace but I think his game is getting better year on year under Lennon.

Like all players he has off days but he's a joy to watch when on form.

Hibee Mac
23-09-2018, 08:25 AM
The guy improves year on year under Lennon, unbelievable! Now looks like he's adding through balls to his game, what's next?

Smartie
23-09-2018, 08:44 AM
I thought he was going to have one of those days during the first half yesterday when he did everything well other than the end product (which was often poor).

During the second half he added a cracking assist an accomplished finish and far more good work to the pace and trickery he always shows.

Great player who played a massive part in our win yesterday.

rotherhamrob
23-09-2018, 08:56 AM
Having watched the highlights a couple of times,I genuinely thought, after he scored, that he was going to give a girfuy gesture, I was sat there thinking don't do it Martin don't do it.
I of course could be completely wrong and he was just being casual but he didn't celebrate like he normally does.
It must be difficult for players nowadays with social media and increased scrutiny because there's no way of avoiding it.

Ozyhibby
23-09-2018, 09:00 AM
And Dundee swapped him for Alex Harris.[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
23-09-2018, 09:23 AM
I thought he was going to have one of those days during the first half yesterday when he did everything well other than the end product (which was often poor).

During the second half he added a cracking assist an accomplished finish and far more good work to the pace and trickery he always shows.

Great player who played a massive part in our win yesterday.I thought the same mate...was frustrating the hell out of me in the first half but was tremendous after half time...unplayable at times. His improvement under Lennon is astonishing...they seem to have a great relationship

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
23-09-2018, 09:24 AM
Having watched the highlights a couple of times,I genuinely thought, after he scored, that he was going to give a girfuy gesture, I was sat there thinking don't do it Martin don't do it.
I of course could be completely wrong and he was just being casual but he didn't celebrate like he normally does.
It must be difficult for players nowadays with social media and increased scrutiny because there's no way of avoiding it.I didn't see that at all and I was at the game...I think he didn't over celebrate out of respect for his former club perhaps??

rotherhamrob
23-09-2018, 09:40 AM
I didn't see that at all and I was at the game...I think he didn't over celebrate out of respect for his former club perhaps??

Ah I didn't think of that, good point.
It wasn't a criticism if that's how it came across, I just had a horrible feeling that was what he was going to do.

Peevemor
23-09-2018, 09:51 AM
There's something that Boyle has mentioned in a few interviews (as did Agyepong yesterday and Barker last season). Lennon tells them to take players on and to "risk" things, but telling them that it doesn't matter if it doesn't work as it might work the next time, and if that doesn't work either then it'll work the time after that...

Guys like that need that sort of attitude and encouragement from their manager and there's no doubt, in my mind, that this is reflected by the persistence shown by the team even when we're behind toward the end of the game.

You're far more likely to lose confidence if the manager screams at you every time something doesn't come off.

Borderhibbie76
23-09-2018, 10:03 AM
It wasn't a criticism if that's how it came across, I just had a horrible feeling that was what he was going to do.Not at all...I can see where your coming from but I'm pretty sure it was a show of respect for his former employers...

Peevemor
23-09-2018, 10:08 AM
It wasn't a criticism if that's how it came across, I just had a horrible feeling that was what he was going to do.He celebrated (briefly raised his arms toward the Hibs fans) then calmed down quickly. For me it was definitely out of respect to his former club.

At full time he was laughing and joking with his Hibs team mates and seemed as pleased as any of them.

eastcoasthibby
23-09-2018, 10:14 AM
Mcleish needs to get his act together and get Boyle into a Scotland squad, yes there might be a few deemed ahead of him just now but he is what all teams need at international level and thats an impact player who gives you something different ..Boyle does that if the Aussie's think he is good enough why isnt he for our national team ? Are we a better than the Aussie's national team/squad ? Or does Boyle need to head through west ?'
I get it and have said it myself Boyle needs to improve some parts of his game but he is young enough still to do that and I think would give the national squad a bit of additional attacking potency !!

Wilson
23-09-2018, 11:50 AM
Mcleish needs to get his act together and get Boyle into a Scotland squad, yes there might be a few deemed ahead of him just now but he is what all teams need at international level and thats an impact player who gives you something different ..Boyle does that if the Aussie's think he is good enough why isnt he for our national team ? Are we a better than the Aussie's national team/squad ? Or does Boyle need to head through west ?'
I get it and have said it myself Boyle needs to improve some parts of his game but he is young enough still to do that and I think would give the national squad a bit of additional attacking potency !!

It is surely a matter of whether he will ever get a game for Scotland? I don't think so. He could end up tied to the Scotland cause and never play. Surely it is better for Boyle and Hibs that he features for a country where he might play?

These International experiences which make up part of a short career are what he is looking for . Not sitting waiting on a phone call from McLeish that will never come.

Shrekko
23-09-2018, 06:41 PM
It must be difficult for players nowadays with social media and increased scrutiny because there's no way of avoiding it.

I doubt he’d do that- pretty sure he knows how much the Hibs support generally think of him. He’s pretty grounded and seen him taking comments about his final ball/ shooting on social media before pretty well.

Absolutely terrific player he’s been for Hibs. McLeish did ask about his availability for that summer tour so he can’t be far off the squad. I really think he should be capped soon but wouldn’t blame him if he played for Australia as they always have a great chance of getting to the World Cup.

tonyrougier123
24-09-2018, 12:15 AM
Boyle is definately one of my persoal all time favourite hibs players,great attitude,loves taking on defenders and generally keeps full backs to busy to be useful against us,wins loads of free kicks and pens,loves hibs and was an outrageous bargain!!just needed confidence and time to develop wich he got at easter road and now we have a gem of a player,and hopefully for a long time to come.

Tornadoes70
24-09-2018, 12:31 AM
Boyle is definately one of my persoal all time favourite hibs players,great attitude,loves taking on defenders and generally keeps full backs to busy to be useful against us,wins loads of free kicks and pens,loves hibs and was an outrageous bargain!!just needed confidence and time to develop wich he got at easter road and now we have a gem of a player,and hopefully for a long time to come.

:top marks

A great player who's come on leaps and bounds. I think most of us have seen Boyler's scope for progression and he's obviously worked hard behind the scenes to improve. Exciting player's like Boyler cost a lot of money and we're seeing a player with great promise working hard and developing from definite prospect into a terrific all round player. Good on you Boyler!

Mon the Cabbage!!!

:flag:

SirDavidsNapper
24-09-2018, 05:42 AM
The first touch and pass for the first goal on Saturday was sublime

Ryan69
24-09-2018, 06:06 AM
Scotland could really do worse than capping him.

The rate that he has improved since he joined is phenomenal.

Hes still a young guy too...with probably 10 years of football left in him.

calumhibee1
24-09-2018, 06:20 AM

It’s not quite as simple as if he’s good enough for Australia then he’s good enough for Scotland. They might be a better side overall but we have much better wingers in quality and quantity.

As much as I love Boyle I don’t think you could pick him ahead of Forrest, Fraser, Phillips, Burke and maybe others that I’ve missed. Australia could pick him because their wingers are pish/non existent.

Boyle would need to consider that if he ever has a decision to make - he’s probably way more chance of a regular game for Australia than Scotland and if that’s what he wants then Australia is probably the team to commit to. If he’s happy with one or two caps for his home country then commit to Scotland.

Libby Hibby
24-09-2018, 06:29 AM
It’s not quite as simple as if he’s good enough for Australia then he’s good enough for Scotland. They might be a better side overall but we have much better wingers in quality and quantity.

As much as I love Boyle I don’t think you could pick him ahead of Forrest, Fraser, Phillips, Burke and maybe others that I’ve missed. Australia could pick him because their wingers are pish/non existent.

Boyle would need to consider that if he ever has a decision to make - he’s probably way more chance of a regular game for Australia than Scotland and if that’s what he wants then Australia is probably the team to commit to. If he’s happy with one or two caps for his home country then commit to Scotland.

Are you on the wynd up?

In my opinion Boyle offers much more than the four you mention.

Forrest flatters to deceive. Phillips looks uninterested when he plays for Scotland. Fraser looks useful but similar player to Boyle imo. Burke is not as good as Boyle Full stop.

alihibs1
24-09-2018, 07:02 AM
Are you on the wynd up?

Forrest flatters to deceive. Phillips looks uninterested when he plays for Scotland. Fraser looks useful but similar player to Boyle imo. Burke is not as good as Boyle Full stop.Agree with you about all but Fraser. He's been one of the best in the Prem so far this season - 3 goals already.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

calumhibee1
24-09-2018, 07:11 AM
Are you on the wynd up?

Forrest flatters to deceive. Phillips looks uninterested when he plays for Scotland. Fraser looks useful but similar player to Boyle imo. Burke is not as good as Boyle Full stop.

No wind up. All about opinions but the level these guys have/do play at would suggest they’re all better than Boyle.

The one that’s not an opinion is Fraser, he’s streets ahead of Boyle and if your opinion differs from that then you’re wrong :greengrin he’s scored about one in five in three seasons in the EPL and already has 4 in 7 this season. Boyle is nowhere near his level.

Libby Hibby
24-09-2018, 08:13 AM
No wind up. All about opinions but the level these guys have/do play at would suggest they’re all better than Boyle.

The one that’s not an opinion is Fraser, he’s streets ahead of Boyle and if your opinion differs from that then you’re wrong :greengrin he’s scored about one in five in three seasons in the EPL and already has 4 in 7 this season. Boyle is nowhere near his level.

Aye but has Fraser ever scored against Dundee? 😂

I’ll concede Fraser if you concede the other 3, deal?

bigwheel
24-09-2018, 08:24 AM
Aye but has Fraser ever scored against Dundee? [emoji23]

I’ll concede Fraser if you concede the other 3, deal?

I really enjoy watching Boyle..and he is developing into a player who may well attract some decent interest from championship clubs down south..but he isn’t at the level of most of those you compare him with..

Forrest was Celtic’s POY last year wasn’t he? Capped many times for Scotland and played and scored in champions league games . Boyle wouldn’t get a game for Celtic just now...

I’ve not really watched much of Phillips, but he has played a number of years in the top league in England..I can’t really see Boyle ever doing that tbh.

Burke looks stronger and more athletic than Boyle..yet Boyle has a dynamic nature about him that is different . Quite hard to compare the two tbh

Fraser is at a complete different performance level at this time ..

I feel your views are perhaps a bit Hibs tinted [emoji6](nothing wrong with that!) he is indeed a joy to watch and what a difference since he first joined ..real credit to him and the coaching staff [emoji106]

dangermouse
24-09-2018, 08:41 AM

He said his subdued celebration was because his foot was sore, that's why he got subbed.

Centre Hawf
24-09-2018, 11:02 AM
I love Boyle. And I would love to see him play for Scotland. But if I had to call people up in his position then theres a few ahead of him sadly. He should choose Australia. He’ll get far more out of it than waiting for Scotland.

Also yes, Scotland are better than Australia. Making it to a World Cup doesn’t make you a great team. Especially considering who they play in qualifiers.

Allant1981
24-09-2018, 11:14 AM
i think we would be daft not to play him in a friendly, not sure why he is compared to philips, every time philips plays for scotland he is played up front, burke is not a winger either so no point in comparing him either, fraser and forrest play in similar positions, fraser is a better player yes but it would be daft to suggest he is miles behind forrest, we need a decent squad of players going forward as a national team, if forrest or fraser are injured who is there to come in as a winger?