PDA

View Full Version : Liam Miller Tribute Match

Aubenas
21-09-2018, 10:23 PM
There is a tribute match for Liam at Cork's GAA Stadium, Paírc Uí Chaoimh, on Tuesday. It's to raise money for his family and local charities, including the Marymount Hospice who took such good care of Liam at the end.. The game is between Celtic/Ireland and Man Utd Legends. It's a shame there seems to be no Hibs involvement as he played most games for us and scored most goals in his career at Hibs (60, 7). He's on record as saying it was the best time of his career.

The game is a 45K sell out.

However, as the post from Shay Given below outlines, any Hibs supporters wishing to support Liam's family and remember Liam, can buy a "non-attendance ticket and so contribute.

Thought the Hibs Family might like to know this.

no1shaygiven What an amazing idea...next weeks charity match to raise funds for Liam Miller’s family is a sell out so they are now selling non-attendance tickets; for €5 + €2 p&p you will receive commemorative e-ticket, a match day brochure and the chance to win a signed jersey by both teams on the day. Tickets are available at www.supportliammiller.com for all those that have a spare €7 it’s a simple and fantastic way to help a family directly who have been affected by cancer #liammillertribute

BILLYHIBS
22-09-2018, 07:27 AM
Will definately make a contribution.

Liam Miller was a brilliant player and it was a tragedy he was taken so soon.

7€ is a small price to pay to get a small momento of this great player and will also go towards helping his young family

A brilliant idea by Shay Given and so pleased the Testimonial Match is a 45000 sell out.

It gets on my thrupennies that when anyone speaks about a great player their time at Hibernian Football Club is often overlooked. A prime example apart from Liam Miller is his fellow Irishman George Best.

Allant1981
22-09-2018, 10:04 AM
Will definately make a contribution.

Liam Miller was a brilliant player and it was a tragedy he was taken so soon.

7€ is a small price to pay to get a small momento of this great player and will also go towards helping his young family

A brilliant idea by Shay Given and so pleased the Testimonial Match is a 45000 sell out.

It gets on my thrupennies that when anyone speaks about a great player their time at Hibernian Football Club is often overlooked. A prime example apart from Liam Miller is his fellow Irishman George Best.

yip tend to agree, im pretty sure he played more games for hibs than any of his other teams, good to see this match taking place though

surreyhibbie
22-09-2018, 10:18 AM
Done. Great idea to enable us to make a contribution to the fund.

Cabbage East
22-09-2018, 10:36 AM
Bizarre that there isn’t any Hibs representation.

jacomo
22-09-2018, 04:44 PM
Fullest respect and sympathy for Liam Miller’s family, but do they need the money?

The guy had a successful career, including the biggest clubs in Scotland and England. I’d have thought he would have done pretty well for himself, whereas there are other young victims of cancer whose families face real financial hardship alongside the personal loss.

hibbysam
22-09-2018, 05:29 PM
Fullest respect and sympathy for Liam Miller’s family, but do they need the money?

The guy had a successful career, including the biggest clubs in Scotland and England. I’d have thought he would have done pretty well for himself, whereas there are other young victims of cancer whose families face real financial hardship alongside the personal loss.

Any family needs as much help and finance as possible after a tragedy. Just because he had a good standard of living, doesn’t mean they’re left with the millions he maybe once had. If it means his kids can have an extra holiday or his wife can live for the next few years without any worry then I’m all for it.

HIBERNIAN-0762
22-09-2018, 07:04 PM
Is there any footage of Liam scoring for us about?

cleanyman
22-09-2018, 07:08 PM
Any family needs as much help and finance as possible after a tragedy. Just because he had a good standard of living, doesn’t mean they’re left with the millions he maybe once had. If it means his kids can have an extra holiday or his wife can live for the next few years without any worry then I’m all for it.

Well do what everyone else would do and earn your living.

This happens to thousands of people. A young student of mine just lost his mother at 19 and like most people there's no fundraising in sight.

A match in his memory is all good for me with the cash donated to a charity

pogo
22-09-2018, 07:16 PM

Other charities are also benefiting from the proceeds of the match, including the Marymount Hospice in Cork, which provides palliative care, and is where Liam spent his final days.

jacomo
22-09-2018, 07:24 PM
Other charities are also benefiting from the proceeds of the match, including the Marymount Hospice in Cork, which provides palliative care, and is where Liam spent his final days.

:aok:

jacomo
22-09-2018, 07:28 PM

Sadly, I think the more typical outcome for most families who lose the main bread winner in their prime is that they then run the risk of losing their home too, or other serious financial hardship.

You’d hope the funds raised by this match will go where they are needed most.

hibbysam
22-09-2018, 09:09 PM
Well do what everyone else would do and earn your living.

This happens to thousands of people. A young student of mine just lost his mother at 19 and like most people there's no fundraising in sight.

A match in his memory is all good for me with the cash donated to a charity

So because we can’t/don’t help everyone we shouldn’t help anyone? See when you give to charity I’m guessing you give to every single charity? Or turn around to those who do and tell them not to bother as they are only helping a select few (mostly the same charities get helped over and over).

Some people just can’t do right for doing wrong, however I’m glad your an expert on the Miller families wealth and wellbeing and knowing how little they need help at this horrible time.

BILLYHIBS
22-09-2018, 09:47 PM
Is there any footage of Liam scoring for us about?

Footage on YouTube scoring an equalising pen in 1-1 draw versus Hearts viewed from the East but a bit shaky still good though Yams try their best to put him off but keeps his cool slots it away good celebration worth a look see.

Plenty o threads on Liam Miller on here early 2018 commemorating his memory worth a looksee

Others on here moaning about a £5 donation no one twisting their arm it is entirely up to them do what you want to do I know what I’ll be doing it is my prerogative and yes I do donate to other deserving charities at the end of the day we have lost another one of the HIBS family. Liam Miller RIP

Iggy Pope
22-09-2018, 10:05 PM
Footage on YouTube scoring an equalising pen in 1-1 draw versus Hearts viewed from the East but a bit shaky still good though Yams try their best to put him off but keeps his cool slots it away good celebration worth a look see.

Plenty o threads on Liam Miller on here early 2018 commemorating his memory worth a looksee

Others on here moaning about a £5 donation no one twisting their arm it is entirely up to them do what you want to do I know what I’ll be doing it is my prerogative and yes I do donate to other deserving charities at the end of the day we have lost another one of the HIBS family. Liam Miller RIP

One v the Huns in a 3-0 win at Ibrox must be out there somewhere as well as a fine finish at Motherwell on opening day followed by great celebrations with the mob behind that goal.

I was honoured to present the man with his MOM award at a game at ER, again v Motherwell when Yogi had us leading the table (?). Undoubtedly a great wee player for Hibs and really no place for the bickering on Aubenas' thread which to me, is informative and welcome. I wish the Hibs were involved too.

BILLYHIBS
22-09-2018, 10:37 PM
One v the Huns in a 3-0 win at Ibrox must be out there somewhere as well as a fine finish at Motherwell on opening day followed by great celebrations with the mob behind that goal.

I was honoured to present the man with his MOM award at a game at ER, again v Motherwell when Yogi had us leading the table (?). Undoubtedly a great wee player for Hibs and really no place for the bickering on Aubenas' thread which to me, is informative and welcome. I wish the Hibs were involved too.
100% Agree
OP supplied an informative and interesting thread
I remember his goal at Ibrox in that 0-3 victory
I am sad that no representation will be at his Testimonial Match from Hibernian Football Club
Especially when it is on record that the most successful and enjoyable period of his career was at the mighty HFC
I am disappointed that this thread which started out with such good intentions for the Miller Family and the Hospice that looked after him in his final days has degenerated into something that is far removed from the OPs original point If you want to donate donate if you don’t don’t!

BILLYHIBS
24-09-2018, 09:52 AM
Done! Non attendance ticket Only £6.56

RIP

GGTTH

bigwheel
25-09-2018, 07:29 AM
Just a bump up on this one - match is today ..Liam Played more games for us than any other team...was one of my Favourite players from that era..real class act. “Non-attendance” tickets still available if anyone would like to contribute

Hope tonight is a fantastic event which celebrates his life and football ..

calumb
25-09-2018, 08:21 AM
As previously stated its a real shame there is no representation from Hibs but I will be there in my Hibs top at least.
Hope its a good game, will be difficult to choose which side to support, English lads or Celtc???? Think I will go for the English lads :wink:

hibeg
25-09-2018, 08:46 AM
Just noticed that the match is on mutv freeview this afternoon

Carheenlea
25-09-2018, 08:56 AM
I’d love to see new stadiums being built in Scotland like Paírc Uí Chaoimh - looks great with proper terracing behind each goal. For an amateur sport I’m not sure where they got the €80M to build it, but it’s impressive all the same.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2gy9b9f.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/1766px.jpg

calumb
25-09-2018, 09:03 AM
I’d love to see new stadiums being built in Scotland like Paírc Uí Chaoimh - looks great with proper terracing behind each goal. For an amateur sport I’m not sure where they got the €80M to build it, but it’s impressive all the same.

Its amateur in that they don't pay the players, the ticket prices for big games would be more than double a Scottish cup final ticket.

Carheenlea
25-09-2018, 09:13 AM
Its amateur in that they don't pay the players, the ticket prices for big games would be more than double a Scottish cup final ticket.

I read yesterday that JP McManus has just donated €100,000 to every GAA County in Ireland, so things like that help too!

BILLYHIBS
25-09-2018, 02:07 PM
Match on you tube now :thumbsup:

mayo hibee
25-09-2018, 02:22 PM
I see walking football is a sport now. I know its for a great cause but still...

wpj
25-09-2018, 03:07 PM
I see walking football is a sport now. I know its for a great cause but still...

I'm looking at it as i have cardiology problems. Cambridge Utd are very committed to it and i have made enquirues.

Billy Whizz
25-09-2018, 03:18 PM
I'm looking at it as i have cardiology problems. Cambridge Utd are very committed to it and i have made enquirues.

I’d love to play it too, but my knees are knackered
If you have the chance to play it, go for it. I know lots of people who love it

cabbageandribs1875
25-09-2018, 03:20 PM
that's a fantastic crowd there

mayo hibee
25-09-2018, 03:32 PM
Robbie Keane is not technically retired yet, would probably be able do a useful job somewhere in Scotland as a backup/impact player for a season before finishing up.

You know, if a team were a striker short and were carrying a few injury niggles in the forwards for instance.

blackpoolhibs
25-09-2018, 04:08 PM
Robbie Keane is not technically retired yet, would probably be able do a useful job somewhere in Scotland as a backup/impact player for a season before finishing up.

You know, if a team were a striker short and were carrying a few injury niggles in the forwards for instance.

I think i read somewhere that he's been a Hibs supporter all his life.

mayo hibee
25-09-2018, 04:13 PM
"Boyhood heroes" I think was the quote. 🙂

cabbageandribs1875
25-09-2018, 04:14 PM
45k attendance, excellent