PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow's referee

we are hibs
21-09-2018, 07:49 AM
Andrew Dallas :rolleyes: one of the very worst in the country.

J-C
21-09-2018, 08:04 AM
Andrew Dallas :rolleyes: the worst in the country.

There, fixed that for you.

Callum_62
21-09-2018, 08:05 AM
He is one of my most hated referees

He makes so many baffling decisions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SirDavidsNapper
21-09-2018, 08:10 AM
I love the weekly ref bashing threads. If we play well and put the ball in the net a few times it won't matter how bad the ref is.

B.H.F.C
21-09-2018, 08:30 AM
They’re all s*** but his manner is shocking.

He constantly stands and shouts at players instead of talking to them like a normal person. Last week when he sent Ntcham off in the Celtic game he even gave him a wee push in the back to tell him to get on his way!

Keith_M
21-09-2018, 08:31 AM
I love the weekly ref bashing threads. If we play well and put the ball in the net a few times it won't matter how bad the ref is.

:agree:

Carheenlea
21-09-2018, 08:46 AM
We should still be able to comfortably see off Dundee even if Wallace Mercer was refereeing and Gary Mackay and Rudi Skacel were running the line.

BlackSheep
21-09-2018, 09:40 AM

It may not matter to us how bad the ref is if we win, but if the officials have another poor performance it still needs highlighted, regardless of the result.

bigwheel
21-09-2018, 09:47 AM
It may not matter to us how bad the ref is if we win, but if the officials have another poor performance it still needs highlighted, regardless of the result.

Fair enough - but we fans rarely recall the bad decisions that help our team - we always remember the ones that go against us though ... referees are what they are ..the biggest factor that will influence our results over the season will be our performances - not refereeing decisions ..

The_Horde
21-09-2018, 10:01 AM

Generally speaking. Unless he sends one of our players off for next to nothing early on. Then we have a problem.

Hibbyradge
21-09-2018, 10:04 AM

Exactly.

Obviously this doesn't apply to anyone on here, apart from undercover yams, but half of the fans don't know the laws of the game. In fact, half of the commentators and pundits don't understand them either.

Here's a regular scenario;

Ref X makes a controversial decision against team A. Team A fans think it's a shocker and howl abuse and protest. A 50/50 decision goes against the same team. Louder howls of derision and from then on, in the eyes of team A fans, ref X can do nothing right.

"Ref X is nightmare. He's incompetent. He's corrupt".

TV highlights subsequently show that the refs initial decision was correct.

Next time team A is allocated ref X, "Oh no, he's the worst ever" etc etc. The original, but erroneous, criticism, is never reviewed and withdrawn, even if it was proven to be misplaced.

Of course referees get decisions wrong, who doesn't? I read an article which said that referees make about 250 decisions in a game. Not all are difficult decisions, but many are made under pressure from the players, managers and the fans. Despite that, they get the vast majority correct, over 95% iirc.

I predict that Dallas will have an "unusually good game", if we win tomorrow.

If we lose, he's being paid by Sevco.

wookie70
21-09-2018, 10:12 AM
Exactly.

Obviously this doesn't apply to anyone on here, apart from undercover yams, but half of the fans don't know the laws of the game. In fact, half of the commentators and pundits don't understand them either.

Here's a regular scenario;

Ref X makes a controversial decision against team A. Team A fans think it's a shocker and howl abuse and protest. A 50/50 decision goes against the same team. Louder howls of derision and from then on, in the eyes of team A fans, ref X can do nothing right.

"Ref X is nightmare. He's incompetent. He's corrupt".

TV highlights subsequently show that the refs initial decision was correct.

Next time team A is allocated ref X, "Oh no, he's the worst ever" etc etc. The original, but erroneous, criticism, is never reviewed and withdrawn, even if it was proven to be misplaced.

Of course referees get decisions wrong, who doesn't? I read an article which said that referees make about 250 decisions in a game. Not all are difficult decisions, but many are made under pressure from the players, managers and the fans. Despite that, they get the vast majority correct, over 95% iirc.

I predict that Dallas will have an "unusually good game", if we win tomorrow.

If we lose, he's being paid by Sevco.

I agree with much of that but some of the decisions against Hibs over the last few years and more have been baffling even after that review and there were very few in the plus column. I actually think we have had the rub of the green this season and I can't recall thinking that in 40 years of watching Hibs outwith a season or two when we had Gareth Evans in our team. We have always played too fair to get a good deal from refs but are starting to mix it up a bit which means it is evening out.

Hibbyradge
21-09-2018, 10:15 AM
I agree with much of that but some of the decisions against Hibs over the last few years and more have been baffling even after that review and there were very few in the plus column. I actually think we have had the rub of the green this season and I can't recall thinking that in 40 years of watching Hibs outwith a season or two when we had Gareth Evans in our team. We have always played too fair to get a good deal from refs but are starting to mix it up a bit which means it is evening out.

Every team in the league thinks that. Sevco just said everyone is against them. Celtc had a ref followed because they thought he was a mason.

Anyway, here's the article I mentioned. It transpires it's 98% accuracy, not 95%,

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11096/10808860/referee-myth-busting-how-many-decisions-do-officials-get-right

Since90+2
21-09-2018, 10:43 AM
Every team in the league thinks that. Sevco just said everyone is against them. Celtc had a ref followed because they thought he was a mason.

Anyway, here's the article I mentioned. It transpires it's 98% accuracy, not 95%,

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11096/10808860/referee-myth-busting-how-many-decisions-do-officials-get-right

Celtic had a referee followed?

Bostonhibby
21-09-2018, 10:52 AM
Celtic had a referee followed?Aye, only because they were all thinking of joining his lodge but they wanted to see which one it was first.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Hibbyradge
21-09-2018, 10:52 AM
Celtic had a referee followed?

Sorry, Celtc supporters.

allezsauzee
21-09-2018, 11:01 AM
No referee is going to get all of the decision right and I don't think anyone really expects that, however ability to manage the game and apply some sort of consistency are basics that we should be able to expect and Dallas seems to be able to do neither.

PatHead
21-09-2018, 11:11 AM
No referee is going to get all of the decision right and I don't think anyone really expects that, however ability to manage the game and apply some sort of consistency are basics that we should be able to expect and Dallas seems to be able to do neither.
He is also guilty of interrupting the flow of the match which can ruin the game.

Big_Franck
21-09-2018, 11:18 AM

Unless i've just misread that your article refers to the accuracy of referees' decisions in the English Premier League. We have no idea what percentage of decisions are correct in our Premiership.

I'd doubt very much it'd be anywhere near 98% correct in our league. On the main our referees are diabolical.

ian cruise
21-09-2018, 11:29 AM
I know someone who knows Andrew Dallas, he apparently a big fan of Neil Lennon. They get on very well.

Hibbyradge
21-09-2018, 12:00 PM
Unless i've just misread that your article refers to the accuracy of referees' decisions in the English Premier League. We have no idea what percentage of decisions are correct in our Premiership.

I'd doubt very much it'd be anywhere near 98% correct in our league. On the main our referees are diabolical.

On the main?

You think they get most things wrong?

I don't. They make the occasional mistake, maybe more than their English counterparts but I haven't seen any stats to support that perception.

Referees make a decision we don't like and we scream at them, regardless if they're actually correct or not.

Then, when they inevitably do make an error, it reinforces our perception that they're incompetent or cheating.

If you watch a game that doesn't involve Hibs, you'll see the odd mistake, but the overall perception of his performance is never as bad as when Hibs are involved.

I wouldn't be a referee even if they put a zero at the end of the fee.

PatHead
21-09-2018, 12:21 PM
The thing about decisions is that a referee will only have 2 or 3 real decisions in a game. The majority of decisions are straight forward. Who’s throw/bye kick or corner was it? Did the ball cross the line? Straight forward fouls.

To me that will create a very high percentage of the decisions. It is the 2 or 3 real decisions and consistency that makes a good referee. Far too many of Scottish don’t get these right. Statistics,damned lies and statistics eh!

By the way I wouldn’t like to be a referee myself. It is a thankless job as many decisions are subjective

Geo_1875
21-09-2018, 12:28 PM
Fair enough - but we fans rarely recall the bad decisions that help our team - we always remember the ones that go against us though ... referees are what they are ..the biggest factor that will influence our results over the season will be our performances - not refereeing decisions ..

Why should we highlight bad decisions in our favour? Surely these will be covered on our opponent's forums as being against them. You would only need to amalgamate all comments about refereeing performances to prove that no Scottish referee has ever got a decision right.

My_Wife_Camille
21-09-2018, 12:33 PM
Hibs 0-0 Hearts March 2013

Hearts 0-0 Hibs December 2017

Two games where we literally put the ball in the net but didn’t win because of bad refereeing.

SirDavidsNapper
21-09-2018, 12:35 PM
Who would be a ref? At least one set of fans will be pissed off at you every week, players screaming in your face, every minor detail scrutinised with your credibility and intentions being questioned and so on. With social media etc it must be worse than ever. Not worth the hassle in my opinion. I can't see it being enjoyable. I'm sure they'll pick up a decent cheque but it wouldn't be for me.

Peevemor
21-09-2018, 12:41 PM
Hibs 0-0 Hearts March 2013

Hearts 0-0 Hibs December 2017

Two games where we literally put the ball in the net but didn’t win because of bad refereeing.

You don't know the meaning of literally do you?

KeithTheHibby
21-09-2018, 12:50 PM
We should still be able to comfortably see off Dundee even if Wallace Mercer was refereeing and Gary Mackay and Rudi Skacel were running the line.

I’d most likely explode if that happened.

Hibbyradge
21-09-2018, 12:53 PM
It is the 2 or 3 real decisions and consistency that makes a good referee. Far too many of Scottish don’t get these right.

We don't remember the decisions that they get right.

Occasionally, and usually if a controversial decision has gone our way, you might see a post expressing surprise that the ref had good game.

Ive never seen a thread discussing all the correct decisions a referee made, and I never will.

You might argue that their job is to get things right, but not acknowledging that they usually do, is unfair and leaves them in a no win situation.

I guarantee you that referees in every country in the world have the same experience. The idea that bringing refs from abroad would solve the problems is fanciful, and it won't be unique to Scotland.

In my view, the referees are generally fine. I've been annoyed a couple of times about decisions that weren't given, Colin Campbell in 1979 is the one that rankles me most, and the disallowed Griffith's free kick against Hertz was ridiculous, but I've really only been enraged about an overall performance once. Falkirk at ER.

bigwheel
21-09-2018, 01:03 PM
We don't remember the decisions that they get right.

Occasionally, and usually if a controversial decision has gone our way, you might see a post expressing surprise that the ref had good game.

Ive never seen a thread discussing all the correct decisions a referee made, and I never will.

You might argue that their job is to get things right, but not acknowledging that they usually do, is unfair and leaves them in a no win situation.

I guarantee you that referees in every country in the world have the same experience. The idea that bringing refs from abroad would solve the problems is fanciful, and it won't be unique to Scotland.

In my view, the referees are generally fine. I've been annoyed a couple of times about decisions that weren't given, Colin Campbell in 1979 is the one that rankles me most, and the disallowed Griffith's free kick against Hertz was ridiculous, but I've really only been enraged about an overall performance once. Falkirk at ER.

This ...about sums up my view [emoji106]

hibbyfraelibby
21-09-2018, 01:04 PM
Andrew Dallas is by no means the worst ref in Scotland. He was pretty fair in his early game with us at Easter Road this season and its not just the ref you have to judge but his assistants too. the Ref team consists of 4 and often the presence of an experienced 4th helps. In Dallas' case this season I believe Bobby Madden has filled that role on a number of occassions and anyone who sent Potter and the Caveman off is ok in my book.

As has been commented on here earlier refs get pelters from folk who simply do not understand the current laws of the game, especially the off-side law and the supposed last man rule.

Our refs ain't perfect but I don't want to go down the line of importing foreign refs, like that Maltese prat we got during the strike, who won't even let you look at an opposition player in a bad tone of voice never mind tackle them.

Hibbyradge
21-09-2018, 01:16 PM
who won't even let you look at an opposition player in a bad tone of voice never mind tackle them.

:faf:

:top marks

Hermit Crab
21-09-2018, 01:21 PM
If the players do their jobs properly we wont need to worry about the referee.

MWHIBBIES
21-09-2018, 01:26 PM

Yeah, it's that simple. Refereeing decisions drastically change games, especially games like tomorrow where a first goal could change it big time. If Dundee get it they'll defend and make it hard for us.

Pretty Boy
21-09-2018, 01:36 PM
Remember we had a legitimate goal by Jordon Forster ruled out at Tynecastle? That cost us at least a point that day and contributed to our relegation. Or the handball incident in the play off 1st leg v Falkirk? Or the failure to send a player off for a professional foul in the 2nd leg?

That's 3 games in which poor refereeing decisions impacted the outcome of the game and ultimately a season. The idea that if 'the players do their job then the ref doesn't matter' is a nonsense. Football is a game of variables and the referee is one of them.

J-C
21-09-2018, 01:48 PM
Remember we had a legitimate goal by Jordon Forster ruled out at Tynecastle? That cost us at least a point that day and contributed to our relegation. Or the handball incident in the play off 1st leg v Falkirk? Or the failure to send a player off for a professional foul in the 2nd leg?

That's 3 games in which poor refereeing decisions impacted the outcome of the game and ultimately a season. The idea that if 'the players do their job then the ref doesn't matter' is a nonsense. Football is a game of variables and the referee is one of them.

:agree:
Doesn't matter how well you play if the ref rules out a perfectly good goal, ignores a perfectly good penalty claim or send off a player for a perfectly good tackle then that can impact the outcome.

My_Wife_Camille
21-09-2018, 01:55 PM
You don't know the meaning of literally do you?
I get you, but in context I think it is literal

staunchhibby
21-09-2018, 02:16 PM
Bit ott calling the Maltese ref a prat.He was a breathe of fresh air after some of the refs from our own association

Hibbyradge
21-09-2018, 02:32 PM
Bit ott calling the Maltese ref a prat.He was a breathe of fresh air after some of the refs from our own association

I didn't notice any real difference.

If anything, the players didn't act up as much as usual but that would have been because they didn't know how he'd react.

Give him a few games in the league and the players would have worked him out.

brog
21-09-2018, 02:40 PM

Its an interesting but very strange article D. They're actually saying about 2/3 of the decisions are non decisions, ie the ref does nothing. That's nonsensical, how do they possibly know if the ref saw a potential offence & ignored it or didnt see it at all? Including non decisions skews the stats. They would then come out about 85/90% which is what i would expect. As a former ref i honestly think this is a piece of propaganda which wouldnt stand up to detailed scrutiny.

Hibbyradge
21-09-2018, 02:47 PM
Its an interesting but very strange article D. They're actually saying about 2/3 of the decisions are non decisions, ie the ref does nothing. That's nonsensical, how do they possibly know if the ref saw a potential offence & ignored it or didnt see it at all? Including non decisions skews the stats. They would then come out about 85/90% which is what i would expect. As a former ref i honestly think this is a piece of propaganda which wouldnt stand up to detailed scrutiny.

I guess that every time players come together in a tussle or a tackle, there's a decision to be made.

If the ref does nothing, he's decided there was no foul. Shoulder to shoulder, shielding the ball etc all have fans shouting for a free kick but the referee decides if it is or isn't. :dunno:

matty_f
21-09-2018, 04:37 PM

That's a perfect example of the players doing their jobs properly and the ref impacting the game. It's unrealistic to say that players doing their job negates a bad referee. Same can be said for Griffiths' and Shaw's 'goals'.

In all three instances the players did their jobs properly.

bigwheel
21-09-2018, 04:42 PM
That's a perfect example of the players doing their jobs properly and the ref impacting the game. It's unrealistic to say that players doing their job negates a bad referee. Same can be said for Griffiths' and Shaw's 'goals'.

In all three instances the players did their jobs properly.

They did ..and those were really big impact decisions . Referees do impact results - but we will have had favourable decisions that also impact big results too...we just don’t recall them in the same way - because you don’t analyse them the same way..

The fact still stands that it will be our playing performances that dictate how this season goes much more than ref decisions..

SideBurns
21-09-2018, 05:29 PM
We quickly forget the decisions that have gone for us, and the refs that gave those decisions. I can accept the borderline mistakes (marginal offsides, tackles/ handballs which are open to interpretation) because we are as likely to benefit from them as other teams (in theory).

It is the horrendous ones which live long in the memory and are harder to forgive. The Forster one which was mentioned for example - he was played several yards onside by a Hearts defender and the linesman gave some ludicrous explanation about not being able to see the player who was standing in his line of sight and closer to him than big Jordon. Incompetence to this degree just makes you angry. Thankfully, examples such as this are relatively rare, but when they happen to us they always seem to cost us points.

Famous Fiver
21-09-2018, 06:30 PM
I read an article the other day about corruption in Algerian league football, much of it involving referees.

I am reluctant to put our refs in the same category, I prefer to think ours are simply incompetent. I can only pray that Mr Dallas's incompetence does not affect only one side tomorrow.Give us an even break and we will win.

Hibbyradge
21-09-2018, 07:10 PM
I read an article the other day about corruption in Algerian league football, much of it involving referees.

I am reluctant to put our refs in the same category, I prefer to think ours are simply incompetent. I can only pray that Mr Dallas's incompetence does not affect only one side tomorrow.Give us an even break and we will win.

Didn't we get an even break against Livi? :dunno:

brog
21-09-2018, 07:59 PM
I guess that every time players come together in a tussle or a tackle, there's a decision to be made.

If the ref does nothing, he's decided there was no foul. Shoulder to shoulder, shielding the ball etc all have fans shouting for a free kick but the referee decides if it is or isn't. :dunno:

Or as i said, the ref doesn't even notice it. Genuinely, how can anyone differentiate? Also who decides latterly that the ref was correct? Did some ex ref look at the Falkirk player, McCracken IIRC, swatting the ball away then kicking SJM & agree that was a correct non action? The old dictum of lies, damn lies & statistics seems appropriate here.

NadeAteMyLunch!
21-09-2018, 11:06 PM
We quickly forget the decisions that have gone for us, and the refs that gave those decisions. I can accept the borderline mistakes (marginal offsides, tackles/ handballs which are open to interpretation) because we are as likely to benefit from them as other teams (in theory).

It is the horrendous ones which live long in the memory and are harder to forgive. The Forster one which was mentioned for example - he was played several yards onside by a Hearts defender and the linesman gave some ludicrous explanation about not being able to see the player who was standing in his line of sight and closer to him than big Jordon. Incompetence to this degree just makes you angry. Thankfully, examples such as this are relatively rare, but when they happen to us they always seem to cost us points.

And always seem to be against Hearts. The Forster offside, Griffiths and Shaw goals(Shaws to a lesser extent although it was still absolutely blatant in real time imo) and ‘that’ penalty in the cup final are genuinely as bad as any 4 refereeing decisions you are likely to see at any level of football.

Tornadoes70
21-09-2018, 11:30 PM
Let's be honest here. A referee can influence a football match just as a jockey on a horse can influence how the horse runs. The good referees are rarely noticed much as their decisions are by and by rated mostly fairly by both sets of fans however a referee that is very poor or is deliberately tilting the playing field will always irate at least one set of supporters. I fail to understand how any Hibernian supporter could claim otherwise as the number of crucial decisions that have went against us in meaningful matches far outweighs the ones that went for us.

However, in saying that we need to be strong and always very vociferously call out the refs that are either very poor or tilting a match for the other side and never be afraid to make the case. The days of dodgy refereeing must be on the way out especially with Var and future technology being introduced.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

overdrive
22-09-2018, 02:26 AM
I actually he thought he was the best referee we’ve had so far this season. Doesn’t detract from the fact he is only where he is due to nepotism.

PatHead
24-09-2018, 11:00 PM
Who is referee tomorrow?

guidref
25-09-2018, 06:36 AM
Refereeing isbroken down into 2 separate aspects

1: Application of the laws of the game: The LOTG are prescribed by FIFA andwhilst they are not difficult the majority of players, managers andsupporters do not understand them. The application of the LOTG is “in the opinionof the referee” and the majority of decisions are correct

2: Game management:This is a completely different kettle of fish and is something that can’t reallybe taught but has to be learned.
I have heardpeople saying “ he knows the rules but doesn’t know the game”. I believe thatfor a lot of our ref’s, and certainly for Mr Dallas that is true (In my opinion!)

sauzee=legend
25-09-2018, 06:53 AM
Steven McLean

JimBHibees
25-09-2018, 06:55 AM
Steven McLean

Hope he is better than he was in the 1-0 home defeat to Aberdeen last season where he let them foul with impunity for a good chunk of that game. Very poor performance from him IMO.

where'stheslope
25-09-2018, 07:16 AM
Let's be honest here. A referee can influence a football match just as a jockey on a horse can influence how the horse runs. The good referees are rarely noticed much as their decisions are by and by rated mostly fairly by both sets of fans however a referee that is very poor or is deliberately tilting the playing field will always irate at least one set of supporters. I fail to understand how any Hibernian supporter could claim otherwise as the number of crucial decisions that have went against us in meaningful matches far outweighs the ones that went for us.

However, in saying that we need to be strong and always very vociferously call out the refs that are either very poor or tilting a match for the other side and never be afraid to make the case. The days of dodgy refereeing must be on the way out especially with Var and future technology being introduced.

Mon the Cabbage!!!
I have always said that no matter what team you support, the ref will be good or bad depending on your team's result!

Bad decisions are always stonewall when for you, and cheating when against you!

Every penalty is a dive against you, but you can always manage to see a touch on our player to make him go down?

Some balls crossing the line and goals not given, are inexcusable but it is usually human error, and not cheating as always said!!

All that said, if all the breaks we don't get even themselves up, we will win the league at a canter, and everyone will be calling us the cheats!!!!

Kato
25-09-2018, 07:38 AM
Some balls crossing the line and goals not given, are inexcusable but it is usually human error, and not cheating as always said!!

Shaw's one was probably human error. Griffiths free-kick at ER, I'm not so sure. Linesman looked shifty (his natural disposition) and gave one story to the players and another to the press.

matty_f
25-09-2018, 08:31 AM
Hope he is better than he was in the 1-0 home defeat to Aberdeen last season where he let them foul with impunity for a good chunk of that game. Very poor performance from him IMO.

He was garbage that day, Aberdeen were very dirty and he constantly let it go. I'm all for letting the game flow etc but that was too far.

hibbyfraelibby
25-09-2018, 10:31 AM

I might be old fashioned but I call a strikebreaking scab as I see him.

Future17
25-09-2018, 10:42 AM
He was garbage that day, Aberdeen were very dirty and he constantly let it go. I'm all for letting the game flow etc but that was too far.

He's notorious for leniency generally. His card stats are low compared to others.

hfc rd
25-09-2018, 10:47 AM

He’s been very poor since the final

JimBHibees
25-09-2018, 11:20 AM
Shaw's one was probably human error. Griffiths free-kick at ER, I'm not so sure. Linesman looked shifty (his natural disposition) and gave one story to the players and another to the press.

Agree told players he had clearly seen it not crossing the line then obviously when told TV had clear picture changed that to didnt see it with all ex-refs such as Kenny Clark lining up to back the fact he had missed or chosen to miss a ball 2 yards over the line.

matty_f
25-09-2018, 11:16 PM
He's notorious for leniency generally. His card stats are low compared to others.

He was ****ing lenient tonight, that's for sure.

we are hibs
28-09-2018, 08:11 AM
Tomorrow's is Euan Anderson. Never heard of him. Don't know if that's a good thing or bad..

H18 SFR
28-09-2018, 08:34 AM
Tomorrow's is Euan Anderson. Never heard of him. Don't know if that's a good thing or bad..

P.E. teacher, looks a bit gormless, runs around shouting at them like school kids.