PDA

View Full Version : Ex hi-bee

archiebald
20-09-2018, 07:27 PM
Alex Harris signs for York City

Lago
20-09-2018, 07:28 PM
Started well in his career but it never really happened.

Hibbyradge
20-09-2018, 07:31 PM
Oh my goodness.

They are absolutely mince!

I've tried watching them, but it's just horrible.

I guess I'll have to pop along for another look if Alex is playing, but I'll probably need a good drink first.

WeAreHibs
20-09-2018, 07:32 PM
Never really recovered from his injury.

Best of luck to him.

G B Young
20-09-2018, 07:34 PM

Best of luck to him.

Butcher and Malpas rushed him back too soon and shot his confidence. If Stubbs or Lennon had followed Fenlon into the manager's chair we might have seen Harris fulfil his early promise.

Hope the move works out for him.

fishybeaver
20-09-2018, 07:36 PM

Best of luck to him.

He must be so relieved to get away from Falkirk...absolute basket case off a club, with fans to match!!

Hibbyradge
20-09-2018, 07:39 PM
He must be so relieved to get away from Falkirk...absolute basket case off a club, with fans to match!!

Falkirk would take 6 off York City

Jonnyboy
20-09-2018, 08:00 PM
All the best, wee Boozy :agree:

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-09-2018, 08:08 PM
Not too late for him to turn it around. Wish him well.

heretoday
20-09-2018, 08:16 PM
Nice place. Could be worse. Could be Grimsby.

Hibbyradge
20-09-2018, 08:47 PM

Cleethorpes :wink:

TrinityHibs
20-09-2018, 09:19 PM
There was a good player in there just didn’t work out. Wish him well

Geo_1875
20-09-2018, 10:24 PM
There was a good player in there just didn’t work out. Wish him well

Wasn't a case of it not working out. His career was wrecked by a hammer thrower from Motherwell.

Johnny_Leith
20-09-2018, 10:26 PM
Butcher and Malpas rushed him back too soon and shot his confidence. If Stubbs or Lennon had followed Fenlon into the manager's chair we might have seen Harris fulfil his early promise.

Hope the move works out for him.

They outright bullied him. Picked on a young laddie, who was nowhere near full fitness and short on confidence.

Disgraceful.

IberianHibernian
20-09-2018, 10:29 PM
He seemed to do very well at Falkirk despite some poor results for the team until Hartley took over and like many new managers decided to change squad for the sake of change . I wonder if he regrets not waiting a few weeks more before terminating his contract since Hartley`s successor might have given him a chance . Hope he makes an impression at York and moves on to better things since he certainly has talent to play at a much higher level .

AK86
20-09-2018, 10:37 PM
The Harris was great before his injury , really is one of the biggest myths . He shown promise in about his first half dozen games , then he regressed very quickly into a very average player . He has been at a few clubs , with a few different coaches and nobody has appeared to improve him. I wish him luck, his goal at Hampden , which I think started our come back against Falkirk , was top drawer.

IberianHibernian
20-09-2018, 10:46 PM
The Harris was great before his injury , really is one of the biggest myths . He shown promise in about his first half dozen games , then he regressed very quickly into a very average player . He has been at a few clubs , with a few different coaches and nobody has appeared to improve him. I wish him luck, his goal at Hampden , which I think started our come back against Falkirk , was top drawer. Before his injury he was outstanding for us eg in abandoned game at Killie , at QOS his statistics for goals and assists were better than our midfielders in the same league , Lennon gave him a chance and he did reasonably well , at Falkirk he did very well till Hartley took over and decided to sign a completely new squad so don`t think " myth" is appropriate word .

hfc rd
20-09-2018, 11:01 PM
Before his injury he was outstanding for us eg in abandoned game at Killie , at QOS his statistics for goals and assists were better than our midfielders in the same league , Lennon gave him a chance and he did reasonably well , at Falkirk he did very well till Hartley took over and decided to sign a completely new squad so don`t think " myth" is appropriate word .

I’m sure we got Martin Boyle from Dundee in exchange for Harris which has proven to be a steal!

AK86
20-09-2018, 11:32 PM
Before his injury he was outstanding for us eg in abandoned game at Killie , at QOS his statistics for goals and assists were better than our midfielders in the same league , Lennon gave him a chance and he did reasonably well , at Falkirk he did very well till Hartley took over and decided to sign a completely new squad so don`t think " myth" is appropriate word .
We have different opinions and memories. I remember watching him , and games just bypassing him , he never set the heather on fire at QOTS , Dundee , or Falkirk . He now plays for York city . He only got injured , he didn't lose a leg .

Deansy
21-09-2018, 12:37 AM
I really hope he can recover 'it' - one of the most exciting youngsers I'd seen in years until Butcher butchered him !!

jgl07
21-09-2018, 12:37 AM
I’m sure we got Martin Boyle from Dundee in exchange for Harris which has proven to be a steal!

I thought it was a loan swap. Harris returned to Easter Road before going out on loan to Queen of the South and transferring to Falkirk. Boyle stayed.

Forza Fred
21-09-2018, 02:03 AM
We have different opinions and memories. I remember watching him , and games just bypassing him , he never set the heather on fire at QOTS , Dundee , or Falkirk . He now plays for York city . He only got injured , he didn't lose a leg .

Cruel, but I have to say fair.

Other players have overcome injury and went on to better things.

Sadly, Alex’s career appears, like many others to be going one way.

Football can be a tough, unrelenting business, but I wish him well and hope he makes me eat my words.

DetroitHibs
21-09-2018, 02:08 AM
I don't buy for a second it was Malpas, Butcher or some hammer thrower from Motherwell that is responsible for his career. You've either got or you don't, and I don't think he has what it takes. Look at Cummings. Overcame a worse injury and missed the penalty against Hamilton that sent us down. Say what you want about Jase, but the lads got it and has all the self belief in the world.

Haymaker
21-09-2018, 03:53 AM
I don't buy for a second it was Malpas, Butcher or some hammer thrower from Motherwell that is responsible for his career. You've either got or you don't, and I don't think he has what it takes. Look at Cummings. Overcame a worse injury and missed the penalty against Hamilton that sent us down. Say what you want about Jase, but the lads got it and has all the self belief in the world.

Self belief. That's the difference.

madhatter
21-09-2018, 06:59 AM
In fairness to Harris. Did he not go through a very rough spell - bad injury and did he not lose a relative around same time? Comparing him to Cummings is pointless. Harris went to Edinburgh Academy or something didn't he? Cummings would probably struggle to spell that. That's not meant as an insult on Cummings, it's meant to show that their upbringing is totally different. Cummings career isn't exactly going from strength to strength so the comparison is not great either. If Cummings doesn't clean up his act a bit, he'll be destined to drop down the ladder as well. Hope they both do well. I have greater hope for Harris as I feel he got a very rough time at Hibs - comes back from a lengthy spell injured, playing in a garbage team for a while and every time he doesn't take his man on he gets booed/collective sighs.

HIBERNIAN-0762
21-09-2018, 08:10 AM
Was it not a tackle from a St Mirren thug that injured him badly?

oneone73
21-09-2018, 08:21 AM
Was it not a tackle from a St Mirren thug that injured him badly?

Motherwell.

BILLYHIBS
21-09-2018, 08:41 AM
One of our own.

Hibs supporter and great great nephew of HIBS legend Jimmy Dunn.

All the best for the future Alex.

Many thanks for your contribution at our great club especially that wonderful strike in the Scottish Cup Semi Final versus Falkirk that inspired an unlikely comeback

:not worth

KWJ
21-09-2018, 08:49 AM

Disagree completely and think we've had this before.

https://youtu.be/GoPds4gItpU

Sure it was a small sample size but within it he quickly became our main man for building attacks. Everything went through him at which at such a young age was ridiculous. This was under Fenlon and then Butcher did the same with Stanton.

Butcher then brought Harris back too soon and he was never the same. He probably beat more men for Hibs in his 13 games at the end of the 12/13 season than he did in his 50 odd other appearances for Hibs. He simply wasn't the same player.

That may be down to the injury sustained on the Motherwell game (first league match of 13/14), his own self confidence or his subsequent managers but when he broke into the team in Feb/March to the end of the 12/13 season he was brilliant and our best youth prospect since Fletcher.

heretoday
21-09-2018, 11:07 AM
In fairness to Harris. Did he not go through a very rough spell - bad injury and did he not lose a relative around same time? Comparing him to Cummings is pointless. Harris went to Edinburgh Academy or something didn't he? Cummings would probably struggle to spell that. That's not meant as an insult on Cummings, it's meant to show that their upbringing is totally different. Cummings career isn't exactly going from strength to strength so the comparison is not great either. If Cummings doesn't clean up his act a bit, he'll be destined to drop down the ladder as well. Hope they both do well. I have greater hope for Harris as I feel he got a very rough time at Hibs - comes back from a lengthy spell injured, playing in a garbage team for a while and every time he doesn't take his man on he gets booed/collective sighs.

Well, if he went to EA he'll have a few connections not to mention A levels, Highers etc so I don't feel too sorry for him. Hopefully, he can resume some sort of career path once he's done with getting booted about in the National League North.

EVENTUALLY
21-09-2018, 04:40 PM
One of our own.

Hibs supporter and great great nephew of HIBS legend Jimmy Dunn.

All the best for the future Alex.

Many thanks for your contribution at our great club especially that wonderful strike in the Scottish Cup Semi Final versus Falkirk that inspired an unlikely comeback

:not worth

Really good young player who glided over the ground at full flight. Terrible shame that his injury has affected his career the way it has. Plenty time to turn it round. Good Luck Alex.

IWasThere2016
21-09-2018, 05:56 PM

Saw them recently at Bury.. tried hard but poor.

Jim44
21-09-2018, 07:12 PM
Was York City not one of Jackie MacNamara’s nightmares? Or maybe he was one of their nightmares. :greengrin

Ps. God knows what the ‘Tf’ is at the top of this post.

jacomo
21-09-2018, 09:51 PM
The Harris was great before his injury , really is one of the biggest myths . He shown promise in about his first half dozen games , then he regressed very quickly into a very average player . He has been at a few clubs , with a few different coaches and nobody has appeared to improve him. I wish him luck, his goal at Hampden , which I think started our come back against Falkirk , was top drawer.

He had promise and there was much excited chat about his potential. There was then widespread disappointment when it didn’t work out for him.

I’m not sure there is much myth making.

I think Hibs is a tough club to break through at. He had it tougher than most. As you say he had some memorable moments in a Hibs shirt and good luck to him.

Dight
22-09-2018, 11:26 PM
Down in York so went along to watch AH. He played 90 mins, tried to direct passes and looked keen. Few get you out of your seat runs but he scored, hit the post and was MoM.

BILLYHIBS
22-09-2018, 11:29 PM
Many thanks for the update ! Good to hear

Hibbyradge
22-09-2018, 11:31 PM
Down in York so went along to watch AH. He played 90 mins, tried to direct passes and looked keen. Few get you out of your seat runs but he scored, hit the post and was MoM.

I would have gone to see him today but I was golfing in a team game. 5-0 eh? It must have been a fun game. I'll make sure to get along soon.

Pete
22-09-2018, 11:44 PM

Spot on.

people mature at different rates and by mature, I mean find your balls.

You can plod along in any career and suddenly kick on at any stage. It’s all in the head and all about attitude when it comes to elite sport.

The only thing I can think of is that his upbringing never gave him the experiences like regularly kicking a flyaway around because his mates never had a filly. Things like that are where the dreamer mentality and the skills come from.