PDA

View Full Version : Boyle

Diclonius
20-09-2018, 07:27 AM
Australia interested.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-winger-martin-boyle-set-for-australia-call-up-1-4802568

DoubleDangerous
20-09-2018, 07:35 AM
I'd be a bit gutted if he chose Australia. I don't think he's too far away from a Scotland cap, especially if he has another season of improvement.

We ain't exactly blessed with rapid wingers.

green day
20-09-2018, 07:39 AM
Maybe Lennon should tell a press conference that McLeish should cap Boyle or lose him, similar to what Dr Football did when Souttar was greetin about not getting a full cap?

Seemed to work for that fanny

SirDavidsNapper
20-09-2018, 07:45 AM
If I'm being honest and removing the green tinted specs Boyle shouldn't be near the Scotland team. End product lets him down.

McD
Maybe Lennon should tell a press conference that McLeish should cap Boyle or lose him, similar to what Dr Football did when Souttar was greetin about not getting a full cap?

Seemed to work for that fanny

And at the same time pushed Hanlon further away from getting capped.

You have to wonder how 2 centre backs from a team that finished 6th get called up and capped whilst another who finished 4th, is a fair few years younger than one of those two and has a lot more experience and history of high level play than the other, can’t get a look in.

Souter96Mac
Would be delighted for him if he got a cap.

green day
20-09-2018, 07:54 AM
And at the same time pushed Hanson further away from getting capped.

You have to wonder how 2 centre backs from a team that finished 6th get called up and capped whilst another who finished 4th, is a fair few years younger than one of those two and has a lot more experience and history of high level play than the other, can’t get a look in.

mmmbop

hibbyfraelibby
20-09-2018, 08:29 AM
Does that mean we have to drop the Squirel and call him Kanga?

Stevie Reid
20-09-2018, 08:49 AM
Don't really care either way if I'm honest. Be delighted for Boyle on a personal level if he gets international honours, but from an entirely selfish, Hibs-centric point of view, I'd rather he didn't have all of the travel involved in playing for Oz, and the additional games and injury risk.

steelendhibs
20-09-2018, 09:03 AM
Don't really care either way if I'm honest. Be delighted for Boyle on a personal level if he gets international honours, but from an entirely selfish, Hibs-centric point of view, I'd rather he didn't have all of the travel involved in playing for Oz, and the additional games and injury risk.

With Boyle, Milligan and McLaren all away in January it potentially means we can get games cancelled rather than missing two vital players for 6 games. Would mean a fixture pile up right enough

Stevie Reid
20-09-2018, 09:21 AM
With Boyle, Milligan and McLaren all away in January it potentially means we can get games cancelled rather than missing two vital players for 6 games. Would mean a fixture pile up right enough

Thankfully we have our winter break that covers three weeks of the four that the Asian Cup necessitates.

Given how long it has taken Maclaren and Milligan to get involved/up to speed from the WC in the summer, it may actually suit us for them to keep playing during January (in warmer conditions too).

Forza Fred
20-09-2018, 09:23 AM
Boyle will be Australia’s gain and Scotland’s loss.

Unfortunately, these words were not uttered when I emigrated...☹️

Billychaotic182
20-09-2018, 09:41 AM
I think we really need to take off the green tinted glasses. Boyle is good for hibs but there are other Scottish wingers that are far superior to Boyle. Now I rate Boyle highly but you’re not sitting there and telling me he’s better than Ryan Fraser, Oli Burke, Matt Phillips or James Forrest. They are all better wingers than Boyle. Now again I love Boyle for hibs but he is not better than them so he’d be at least 5 choice right winger.

bigwheel
20-09-2018, 10:29 AM
I think we really need to take off the green tinted glasses. Boyle is good for hibs but there are other Scottish wingers that are far superior to Boyle. Now I rate Boyle highly but you’re not sitting there and telling me he’s better than Ryan Fraser, Oli Burke, Matt Phillips or James Forrest. They are all better wingers than Boyle. Now again I love Boyle for hibs but he is not better than them so he’d be at least 5 choice right winger.

This sums it up for me ...

Hibbyradge
20-09-2018, 10:52 AM
If I'm being honest and removing the green tinted specs Boyle shouldn't be near the Scotland team. End product lets him down.

Which wingers have Scotland had that had a better "end product"?

It's not just about crosses and shots, particularly at international level. It's about territory, outballs to take pressure of the defence and or put the team on the offence.

I know he's not world class, but have we got so many better in that position that we can write Boyler off? :dunno:

Edit: Reading the post above, I agree he's up against stiff opposition.

Pretty Boy
20-09-2018, 11:07 AM
With the exception of the real minnows every country will have a group of good players who never receive an international cap.

Trying to be neutral it's hard to make a case for Boyle being in the Scotland squad ahead of at least 2 or 3 others who play a similar position. Likewise with someone like Stevenson, good on him for getting a cap, but with the options we have at left back if there is a fully fit pool to pick from then he'll be struggling to add to it.

If the opportunity is there for Boyle to play for Australia then he should grab it with both hands.

G B Young
20-09-2018, 11:09 AM

Considering Australia have been at four consecutive World Cups they must rate Boyle pretty highly and you could argue it's a bigger deal than getting a Scotland call-up.

Pleased for Boyle. He's been an outstanding signing bearing in mind his career looked to be going nowhere in particular when Stubbs brought him in.

McD
20-09-2018, 11:13 AM
mmmbop

:tee hee: :aok:

SMAXXA
20-09-2018, 11:22 AM
Another international in the squad 😳😉

Godsahibby
20-09-2018, 12:06 PM
Don't get me wrong I like Boyle, decent player and pace causes a lot of problems but no where near international class player. Good on him though if he does get a call up.

J-C
20-09-2018, 01:35 PM
Martin's father was born in Australia, so there's a fairly strong connection there, it's understandable he's be receptive to playing for them.

Lago
20-09-2018, 01:35 PM
Agree

steelendhibs
20-09-2018, 05:12 PM
Thankfully we have our winter break that covers three weeks of the four that the Asian Cup necessitates.

Given how long it has taken Maclaren and Milligan to get involved/up to speed from the WC in the summer, it may actually suit us for them to keep playing during January (in warmer conditions too).

The tournament starts 6 days after the hearts game on 31 December, which means if Australia invoke the 7 day rule that would rule them out of that. If Australia get to the final they could miss games right up until and including the 1st week in February. I am pretty sure we can get games cancelled if 3 squad members are away on international duty

Speedy
20-09-2018, 05:55 PM

Boyle has improved hugely while at Hibs so at 25 could still do a job at some point in the future.

Even now I think his pace would be a threat off the bench.

Onion
20-09-2018, 06:09 PM
Be great for Boyle to get a call up by the Aussies. He's no chance of getting a Scotland cap.

Sproule Three
20-09-2018, 06:46 PM

Aye they were - but in a slightly different order .

HoboHarry
20-09-2018, 11:40 PM
I'm trying to work out how Boyle isn't good enough for Scotland who haven't qualified for a major since 1998 but he is good enough for an Australian team who just competed in one. Is that a bit like the MLS is s**** and every top club in Scotland would win the MLS at a canter sort of thing?

monktonharp
21-09-2018, 12:05 AM
I love Boyle, love his runs and lament his finishing shots but still love him. If I was a Scotland manager, and squirrel chapped ma door, eh boss any chance o' me playing for Scotland soon? I'd have to say...…...rack off ya dobber.

tonyrougier123
21-09-2018, 01:41 AM
Boyle is definately what scotland needs!! A player willing to take guys on and draw a foul from panicking defenders,that run johnny russell made in the albania game boyle would do that for us for near on 90mins if hes given the ball,I hope australia caps him and he does wonders for them top guy,if the aussies can see his worth it worries me that decent talent in our game is so easily overlooked,im no saying hed b on it all the time but hes a very good outball when you have a team who look like they dont know what to do with the ball most of the time,like scotland!!

cocteautwin
21-09-2018, 02:46 AM
I'm trying to work out how Boyle isn't good enough for Scotland who haven't qualified for a major since 1998 but he is good enough for an Australian team who just competed in one. Is that a bit like the MLS is s**** and every top club in Scotland would win the MLS at a canter sort of thing?

Well if Scotland's qualifying group for the World Cup included teams like Syria, China, Sri Lanka etc, I'd certainly fancy our chances of getting to most World Cups.

BoomtownHibees
21-09-2018, 06:42 AM

Come on, I think even Scotland would get through Australia’s qualifiers

Borderhibbie76
21-09-2018, 09:01 AM
Which wingers have Scotland had that had a better "end product"?

It's not just about crosses and shots, particularly at international level. It's about territory, outballs to take pressure of the defence and or put the team on the offence.

I know he's not world class, but have we got so many better in that position that we can write Boyler off? :dunno:

Edit: Reading the post above, I agree he's up against stiff opposition.There are several above Boyler in the queue as posted above...we need to take the green tinted specs off...I love the guy for hibs but he's not Scotland level at the moment sorry. If he can get capped for Oz good luck to him and he should go for it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

WeeRussell
21-09-2018, 11:31 AM
Considering Australia have been at four consecutive World Cups they must rate Boyle pretty highly and you could argue it's a bigger deal than getting a Scotland call-up.

Pleased for Boyle. He's been an outstanding signing bearing in mind his career looked to be going nowhere in particular when Stubbs brought him in.

I'm sure you would anyway :rolleyes:

I hope Boyle keeps improving at us, but if he was s Hearts player we would be laughing at them for suggesting he's international standard.

Springbank
21-09-2018, 11:43 AM

Football is a game of opinions. And mine is that I would rather have Martin Boyle in my team than all four of those you mention.

Phillips is awful.
Burke has potential but is way too raw & erratic
Forrest flatters to deceive (one OF goal in all his career, very few for Scotland)
Ryan Fraser is a decent all-rounder but lacks the pace & penetration of Boyle.

Just how I see it.

I cannot think of a player who has improved so much in such a short space of time as I've seen with Martin Boyle.

BILLYHIBS
21-09-2018, 11:57 AM
I must admit I have been impressed with Ryan Fraser for Bournemouth this season his energy and style of play reminds me of SJM so far he has scored 5 goals from midfield in the EPL so his penetration is not bad. Martin Boyle I can remember more misses than goals I think he has scored one?😁

Godsahibby
21-09-2018, 12:03 PM
Football is a game of opinions. And mine is that I would rather have Martin Boyle in my team than all four of those you mention.

Phillips is awful.
Forrest flatters to deceive (one OF goal in all his career, very few for Scotland)

Just how I see it.

I cannot think of a player who has improved so much in such a short space of time as I've seen with Martin Boyle.

You sure you thinking about the same Ryan Fraser, the Scottish International who plays for Bournemouth? Pace and penetration is exactly what he has, 3 goals in 5 games so far in the PL from the left wing. Watched him against Leicester and was pretty close to unplayable.

BILLYHIBS
21-09-2018, 12:19 PM
You sure you thinking about the same Ryan Fraser, the Scottish International who plays for Bournemouth? Pace and penetration is exactly what he has, 3 goals in 5 games so far in the PL from the left wing. Watched him against Leicester and was pretty close to unplayable.
100% Agree this guy has been outstanding has pace to burn as well. 😁👍🏾⚽️🏆🇳🇬

Onceinawhile
21-09-2018, 12:57 PM

whilst I agree, he started like this last season as well and barely contributed for the remainder of the year.

Billy Whizz
21-09-2018, 01:01 PM
Is he fit for tomorrow?

jacomo
21-09-2018, 01:37 PM

Prove them wrong champ!

BILLYHIBS
21-09-2018, 09:10 PM

We miss you Fred :greengrin

:scarf::scarf::scarf:

:hibees

eastmainsmsh
21-09-2018, 09:57 PM
If MB had the end product I don't think we would have him .McLeish should bring b international's back

The_Horde
21-09-2018, 11:42 PM
If MB had the end product I don't think we would have him .McLeish should bring b international's back

Why not?

eastmainsmsh
22-09-2018, 03:32 AM
I think he has potential to get a big move

Future17
22-09-2018, 08:00 AM
Lennon has said that Scotland enquired about taking Boyle to South America for the summer friendlies, but he was injured so couldn't go.

SChibs
22-09-2018, 08:37 AM

Phillips is awful.

Just how I see it.

Phillips has played consistently week in week out in the EPL until this season as WBA have been relegated.
Forrest consistently plays in the UCL for Celtic and was being talked about for player of the year last season.
Ryan Fraser is a key player for an established EPL side.

Don't get me wrong I like Boyle but to say hes ahead of the guys mentioned is a bit biased. Boyle is constantly improving but i dont think hes EPL or UCL level.

I've not seen enough of Burke to make comment on him.

WellingtonHibby
22-09-2018, 09:35 AM

Agreed. His acceleration for his 2nd was awesome /terrifying,