PDA

View Full Version : Will Nelom replace Lewy in the team?

HibsTalk
19-09-2018, 08:59 PM
Will Nelom be a replacement for Stevenson? 🤔
Should Efe be dropped? 💣😱
Killie Review 👍
Dundee Preview🏟
Listener questions 🎧

iTunes - https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/hibs-talk/id1236445811?mt=2

Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/episode/4CvD8ZOcc1KWHGKxD4cuYR?si=VDCwZSZTTNiFn05pSPnr6w

Direct Download - http://traffic.libsyn.com/hibstalk/Nelom.mp3

HibsTalk.com - http://hibstalk.com/43-nelom-to-replace-stevenson-in-team

Stitcher - https://www.stitcher.com/s?eid=56320944&refid=asaI

Podbean - http://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir-myr7a-4a63aa6

Carheenlea
19-09-2018, 09:10 PM
Always a good listen, as is the one Hibs the Hibs TV guys do every week - part of my weekly essential listening.
Can’t see Nelom taking Stevenson’s place right away, but if he was to impress when given his opportunity then every chance he will. Be interesting to hear the views on the podcast.

erin go bragh
19-09-2018, 09:32 PM
If he can Attack and defend better . Yes 🇳🇬

Shrekko
19-09-2018, 10:04 PM
If he ends up replacing Lewis we’ve got ourselves a heck of a player.

bigwheel
19-09-2018, 10:09 PM
If he ends up replacing Lewis we’ve got ourselves a heck of a player.

If he does, he might have to be the first player I've booed...for being better than someone [emoji3].

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

monktonharp
20-09-2018, 12:28 AM
several years back, I wanted wee Lewis to move on, as he was not what I thought he would be. I am so glad he is still here, and to my eternal shame I admit I was wrong.:dummytit:No player seems to go for so long without being dropped, or at least injured but the wee man keeps on going and 9 out of 10 he keeps performing, to at least a really decent level. a few years back, he was played all over in midfield and different positions back but he is good when he is in his normal position. First time I saw him he was a laddie, playing for Mowbray's pre-season team against Cork . he would have been 17 then I think. cant see him beeing nudged out, just yet.

Hi Heid Yin
20-09-2018, 12:32 AM
several years back, I wanted wee Lewis to move on, as he was not what I thought he would be. I am so glad he is still here, and to my eternal shame I admit I was wrong.:dummytit:No player seems to go for so long without being dropped, or at least injured but the wee man keeps on going and 9 out of 10 he keeps performing, to at least a really decent level. a few years back, he was played all over in midfield and different positions back but he is good when he is in his normal position. First time I saw him he was a laddie, playing for Mowbray's pre-season team against Cork . he would have been 17 then I think. cant see him beeing nudged out, just yet.

Ditto.
I also thought the same about Lewis Stevenson, but he has won me over Big time with his solid, effective and consistent performances.
If the new guy ousts him from his regular berth then we will indeed have some player on our hands.

RIP
20-09-2018, 05:59 AM

Can anyone conjure up a list of the left backs we have recruited since 2007 and how successful they were at replacing Lewis Stevenson?

Hiber-nation
20-09-2018, 06:24 AM
Can anyone conjure up a list of the left backs we have recruited since 2007 and how successful they were at replacing Lewis Stevenson?

Zarabi, Kujabi....Callum Booth, Eckersley....Paul Hanlon played there initially.

Might have been another Stubbs signing, can't remember.

wookie70
20-09-2018, 06:28 AM
Zarabi, Kujabi....Callum Booth, Eckersley....Paul Hanlon played there initially.

Rherras

blackpoolhibs
20-09-2018, 06:34 AM
I'd have replaced him years ago, in my opinion he needed replaced then. He's been very very good over the last couple of seasons, but is not getting any younger.

He is a fit lad, and never seems to miss a match through injury, but this season he's not quite up to the standard he's set over the last few seasons.

Maybe its because he does not have the cover he had before, or he's getting a little slower or he's maybe not fit or carrying an injury, i don't know?

If the new guy is better, he will replace him, if he's as good then it will give him the pressure he perhaps needs to push him on again.

We've needed another player for that position for a very long time, competition is a good thing for the team.

Hiber-nation
20-09-2018, 06:37 AM
Rherras

:aok:

Lennon signing but that's who I was thinking of.

Michael
20-09-2018, 06:45 AM

McGivern

SON OF PADDY
20-09-2018, 07:10 AM
McGivern

That imposter should never be mentioned again !

#Cowardly ******* 🤬

I feel better now that I've got that off ma chest.😉

SirDavidsNapper
20-09-2018, 07:58 AM
If Nelom replaces Lewis then he's doing something right. Lewis has made the position his own and deservingly so. Can't fault him. If he's better than Lewis I'll be happy. All about what's best for Hibs.

I'm_cabbaged
20-09-2018, 08:02 AM
If Nelom replaces Lewis then he's doing something right. Lewis has made the position his own and deservingly so. Can't fault him. If he's better than Lewis I'll be happy. All about what's best for Hibs.

Exactly, would love to have another 10 that are all better than what we have 😉

I'm Spartacus
20-09-2018, 09:37 AM
McGivern

Surprised there's not a swear filter on that post!!

Libby Hibby
20-09-2018, 09:45 AM
Lewis is always available, always gives his best and is always a 6 or a 7 out of 10 imo. Very rarely any less or more. A Morden day Mr Dependable.

Competition is a good thing. Might spur Lewis on a bit more but it also allows Lennon to rotate or change things if the new guy offers something different if necessary and gives Lewis a break if required.

Hibbyradge
20-09-2018, 10:01 AM
Lewis will be 31 in three and a half months so his time at this level is coming to an end.

I really don't want to see him playing for another team, particularly if they're our direct opponents, but equally, I don't want to see him starting to lose his attributes and end up getting grief from the stands.

I'd be surprised if Hibs are bringing in Nelom for any other reason than to step up when the time comes, despite the negative and pessimistic posts on the other thread.

I doubt he'll be offered a long term deal at this stage, but a year with an optional extension might be the way to go. I've no idea if that's even possible, but we'll find out soon enough.

makaveli1875
20-09-2018, 10:14 AM
Lewis will be 31 in three and a half weeks so his time at this level is coming to an end.

I really don't want to see him playing for another team, particularly if they're our direct opponents, but equally, I don't want to see him starting to lose his attributes and end up getting grief from the stands.

I'd be surprised if Hibs are bringing in Nelom for any other reason than to step up when the time comes, despite the negative and pessimistic posts on the other thread.

I doubt he'll be offered a long term deal at this stage, but a year with an optional extension might be the way to go. I've no idea if that's even possible, but we'll find out soon enough.

his birthdays in January and he's in good shape , probably 1 of the fittest in the squad . He's got a bit to go yet

Hibbyradge
20-09-2018, 10:26 AM
his birthdays in January and he's in good shape , probably 1 of the fittest in the squad . He's got a bit to go yet

I meant to write "months". Now edited.

SirDavidsNapper
20-09-2018, 10:35 AM
That imposter should never be mentioned again !

#Cowardly ******* 🤬

I feel better now that I've got that off ma chest.😉

Scary to think we were all desperate to get him on a permanent deal from Man City after his loan

superfurryhibby
20-09-2018, 10:43 AM
Scary to think we were all desperate to get him on a permanent deal from Man City after his loan

Not really, he played rather well whilst on loan. He was mince under Butcher, but given his age and experience he probably can be excused for that when you consider how poorly that team performed.

As for Nelom, he’ll be a welcome addition to the squad and will hopefully be good enough to offer some competition for our legendary left back’s place in the side.

Liam89
20-09-2018, 10:50 AM
Lewis will be 31 in three and a half months so his time at this level is coming to an end.

If he's kept himself in good shape, which he has, there's no reason why his time at this level should be coming to an end at 31. Look at James Milner for Liverpool for example, 32 and one of the first names on the team sheet for an energetic Liverpool team.

Hibbyradge
20-09-2018, 11:00 AM
If he's kept himself in good shape, which he has, there's no reason why his time at this level should be coming to an end at 31. Look at James Milner for Liverpool for example, 32 and one of the first names on the team sheet for an energetic Liverpool team.

I'm not suggesting he won't play past 31, but fit or not, he'll slow down soon enough. When that happens, he's all but finished.

Succession planning is important and bringing someone in at this stage is the right thing to do.

Pretty Boy
20-09-2018, 11:09 AM
Sentiment is for fans.

Neil Lennon will pick who he feels is the best option for each position even if that means dropping a fan favourite.

Managers who rely on sentiment in their decision making ultimately fail at some point.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
20-09-2018, 11:37 AM

Well said. Milners fitness levels are frightening! Keeps himself in great shape.

Liam89
20-09-2018, 11:43 AM
I'm not suggesting he won't play past 31, but fit or not, he'll slow down soon enough. When that happens, he's all but finished.

Succession planning is important and bringing someone in at this stage is the right thing to do.

Yeah, you're right. I initially read your post as a bit harsher than I think it is, thought you were already imagining him in a retirement home. :greengrin

SirDavidsNapper
20-09-2018, 11:49 AM
Sentiment is for fans.

Neil Lennon will pick who he feels is the best option for each position even if that means dropping a fan favourite.

Managers who rely on sentiment in their decision making ultimately fail at some point.

:agree:

SRHibs
20-09-2018, 11:51 AM
Maybe Lennon thinks that position is a weakness we have? Seems to me that a player of this pedigree will be on pretty high wages, thus not here to sit on the bench.

Hibbyradge
20-09-2018, 11:53 AM
Yeah, you're right. I initially read your post as a bit harsher than I think it is, thought you were already imagining him in a retirement home. :greengrin

:greengrin

I've supported, and defended, Lewis Stevenson for his entire Hibs career, and I hope he can continue at this level for years to come. He may do that, but Hibs have to plan for a different scenario.

Sure, Milner is still doing well, but he's the exception to the rule. There's a lot of very fit footballers out there who didn't have his longevity.

As soon as a player loses half a yard of pace, if they can't adapt into a more central defensive role, their days are numbered, so to speak.

Long live the king. Prepare the next one. :wink:

maturehibby
20-09-2018, 11:55 AM
Lewis is Not near finished and will continue to be Hibs left back for the foreseeable future
Will all the doom merchants get off his case
PS
Remember he played for Scotland in the summer

Hibbyradge
20-09-2018, 11:59 AM
Lewis is Not near finished and will continue to be Hibs left back for the foreseeable future
PS

Are you saying Neil Lennon is a doom merchant? After all, he's the one who has recruited Nelom.

No-one is "on his case". There's just some understandable conversation about how long he'll be able to perform at his current level, sparked by the likely signing of a younger left back.

bingo70
20-09-2018, 12:00 PM
:greengrin

I've supported, and defended, Lewis Stevenson for his entire Hibs career, and I hope he can continue at this level for years to come. He may do that, but Hibs have to plan for a different scenario.

Sure, Milner is still doing well, but he's the exception to the rule. There's a lot of very fit footballers out there who didn't have his longevity.

As soon as a player loses half a yard of pace, if they can't adapt into a more central defensive role, their days are numbered, so to speak.

Long live the king. Prepare the next one. :wink:

We've also been asking a hell of a lot of Lewis the last couple of years. If he was a centre half, sweeper or even a holding midfielder then i imagine it would be a lot easier for his career to be prolonged well into his 30's but for him to have played the number of games he has in a wing back position is bound to take its toll at some time.

FWIW i never rated him as a midfielder and he took me a while to win me over as a wing back but he certainly has now. There have been times I've felt we could do with a wing back that was better going forward however defensively he's always been excellent. If we are going to be playing with wing backs maybe Lennon has decided he would rather have his wing back better going forward as there'll be enough cover defensively from the left sided centre half.

It's Lewis's shirt to lose though so Nelom will have to work hard to take, and keep, it off him. He certainly won't give it up without a fight which can only be great news for Hibs.

Carheenlea
20-09-2018, 05:36 PM
Tiger Woods used to practice with the mindset of concentrating on the weakest part of his game until it became his best, then identifying what then was his weakest part of his game and repeating the process. Lennon is possibly looking at this position now in a similar vein as in need of improvement after a few seasons where it wasn’t as high up the list of priorities.

RossScott1991
20-09-2018, 05:46 PM
Am I only one who thinks lewy was one of our better players last season? hes improved soo much on his crossing aswell.

He still has 2-3 years in him imo.

That's not being sentimental im just judging what I see. Had some cracking games keeping James Forrest and Patrick Roberts quiet imo.

J-C
20-09-2018, 05:52 PM
With McGinn gone, the protection for him isn't there and the new boys are lightweight when it comes to tracking back and nullifying anything in front if him. Hopefully Milligan can add a bit of steel and cover

Wilson
20-09-2018, 05:53 PM
Am I only one who thinks lewy was one of our better players last season? hes improved soo much on his crossing aswell.

That's not being sentimental im just judging what I see. Had some cracking games keeping James Forrest and Patrick Roberts quiet imo.

I'm with you. The squad lacks quality in depth. Lennon is addressing that. By the sounds of it he had brought in a quality player that can cover a couple of positions.

The thought process is obvious. Add depth add cover. Job done hopefully. Those queuing for retirement cards for Lewis are a bit premature.

B.H.F.C
20-09-2018, 06:22 PM
PS

Nobody is being doom and gloom. Quite the opposite actually. For the first time in a long time people are hoping we might be upgrading a position that hasn’t been upgraded for years. Or at the very least, the player who currently holds the position might be pushed to raise his game. And he’s not been pushed to do that for years due to lack of competition.

B.H.F.C
20-09-2018, 06:24 PM

He was very good in the second half of last season. Nowhere near the same level so far this season IMO.

Weegreenman
20-09-2018, 06:42 PM
I love wee Lewis Stevenson, he’s a living Hibs legend 👌🏿 However I have been one of his biggest critics over the last few seasons regards his attacking ability. I always thought he lacked confidence to go beyond the last defender and hit the bye line. However I reckon he’s improved of late which is great credit to the wee man. He’s starting to have more of that confidence he once lacked in my opinion, therefore I don’t think Lewis is in any immediate danger of losing his place in the team. If anything it’ll give us more option to maybe play him in the midfield.

ancient hibee
20-09-2018, 06:57 PM
I think there’s too much emphasis on players being dropped or not first choice.Lennon is building a squad and there will be rotation of players depending on the opposition and the formation for particular games.This is the right way to go in my opinion.

Fife-Hibee
20-09-2018, 07:02 PM
Would be quite sad to see Stevenson go. Judging players on a whole, Stevenson is by far my favourite Hibs player. He has an attitude and maturity that is lacking in the modern game. Regardless of what happens, he'll be remembered for generations.

hibee_girl
20-09-2018, 07:07 PM
Would be quite sad to see Stevenson go. Judging players on a whole, Stevenson is by far my favourite Hibs player. He has an attitude and maturity that is lacking in the modern game. Regardless of what happens, he'll be remembered for generations.

He’s not leaving! :greengrin

Onion
20-09-2018, 07:14 PM
Hope the new boy proves to be a revelation and gets lots of game time, cos that means he's improving Hibs. Stevenson has his place in Hibs history but everything moves on.

Stantons Angel
20-09-2018, 07:35 PM
He’s not leaving! :greengrin

You are quite right there!

This whole post is ridiculous and im not blaming the people on it either.

The media have had a field day because we have signed another left back........ it was the same with David Grays positon too and he has come back stronger after his injury!

Lewis is 30 yeah he is and in maturity he may well lose a bit of speed but also he will have gained experience to contradict that loss. Its a bit early to discuss his demise when the

season is just really starting for the team. It wont do his confidence any good either knowing you are all expecting him to be dropped for this new guy.

If he falters and i know he wont, then the new guy gets his chance and does well. Then Lewis will have to work all the harder to get his position back and we all know he will do that anyway.

The last few seasons we have seen him grow into a reliaible and energetic full back who never lets us down. The fans who were against him have had the guts to own up that they were wrong about him.

This is for the depth and strength of the pool of players we have. So we welcome the new player and wish him luck as he has a big task on his hands!

Come on Lewis show them how!

B.H.F.C
20-09-2018, 07:49 PM
The fans who were against him have had the guts to own up that they were wrong about him.

I see this type of comment quite often about Lewis and don’t agree with it.

IMO, Lewis played at a level last year that I hadn’t seen him play at before. I thought it was comfortably his best season for Hibs in terms of individual performance.

He was praised by a lot of people who had been critical previously, including me. That doesn’t mean that those who were critical before were wrong, I just thought he raised the bar and was deservedly praised for it. It still doesn’t change my opinion on previous what went before.

RossScott1991
20-09-2018, 07:52 PM
He was very good in the second half of last season. Nowhere near the same level so far this season IMO.

But not many are soo far this season it’s a slow burner. Not down to Lewis age at all.

AgentDaleCooper
20-09-2018, 07:58 PM
This whole thread is basically a backhanded compliment to lewis - we know there are better left backs out there, but we love him so much that we'd be sad to see him loose his place.

As has been said, such sentiments are for us fans, and if onwards and upwards means lewis becomes less regular, then so be it - he's a living hero, and i'll love him forever :aok:

AgentDaleCooper
20-09-2018, 07:59 PM
It would also be interesting to see lewis in midfield though, he certainly has a lot of dig and drive.

heretoday
20-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Who did Lewis himself replace. Murphy?
It seems so long ago!

Stantons Angel
20-09-2018, 08:44 PM
I see this type of comment quite often about Lewis and don’t agree with it.

IMO, Lewis played at a level last year that I hadn’t seen him play at before. I thought it was comfortably his best season for Hibs in terms of individual performance.

He was praised by a lot of people who had been critical previously, including me. That doesn’t mean that those who were critical before were wrong, I just thought he raised the bar and was deservedly praised for it. It still doesn’t change my opinion on previous what went before.

You may see this type of comment now and again when many people are on the back of the same player as happened with lewis. Some of the comments were ridiculous IMO and would do no good to a young man short of confidence as he was.

im happy that he proved many wrong, he worked hard for it and shone during the last couple of seasons. Your right that no one can change how things were or felt that went before. All we can hope for is an ever improving team giving the usual Hibernian flair who ever plays left back.

AgentDaleCooper
20-09-2018, 09:19 PM
Who did Lewis himself replace. Murphy?
It seems so long ago!

Mcgivern, before him van bloody zanten and ian murray

neil7908
20-09-2018, 09:54 PM
1 year deal tells me he's coming in as backup and to keep Lewis on his toes.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
20-09-2018, 10:02 PM

This post needs a 'Like' button.

The_Horde
20-09-2018, 10:09 PM
1 year deal tells me he's coming in as backup and to keep Lewis on his toes.

Or he's so good that a one year deal with an option to extend was the best we could hope for?

Hibbyradge
20-09-2018, 11:11 PM
Or he's so good that a one year deal with an option to extend was the best we could hope for?

It's likely that a "one year deal" in this case is actually only 8 months, mid-September till mid-May, which is probably the minimum we could get him for.

If he really was good and we saw him as a future fixture in the side, given that he was clubless, I doubt he'd have knocked back a longer term.

I'd like it to be more than that, but I think he's short term cover, but we'll just have to wait and see.

monktonharp
21-09-2018, 12:16 AM
Lewis will be 31 in three and a half months so his time at this level is coming to an end.that means the wee man is only 30 and 3 quarters! nelom smellom, Luis will survive for another couple of seasons :wink:

monktonharp
21-09-2018, 12:23 AM
Would be quite sad to see Stevenson go. Judging players on a whole, Stevenson is by far my favourite Hibs player. He has an attitude and maturity that is lacking in the modern game. Regardless of what happens, he'll be remembered for generations.he isnae gaun anywhere! what you on aboot?

monktonharp
21-09-2018, 12:28 AM
Hope the new boy proves to be a revelation and gets lots of game time, cos that means he's improving Hibs. Stevenson has his place in Hibs history but everything moves on.good grief! have not been on here for ages, but suddenly realise we have replaced a LB stalwart with new boy:confused: