PDA

View Full Version : Celtic Financials

Ozyhibby
19-09-2018, 04:52 PM
https://stv.tv/amp/1431098-celtic-turnover-tops-100m-mark-as-profits-rocket/?__twitter_impression=true

£40m in the bank. Wage bill twice the size of Sevco’s turnover. No chance the league is heading anywhere but Parkhead for a while yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smartie
19-09-2018, 04:57 PM
Penny-pinched unnecessarily when faced with stumping up a reasonable fee for a talented young Scottish player, and as a result of a few examples of such behaviour their team is not quite as good as it should be.

I don't agree with you that it is so cut and dried.

They should be pressing home their significant advantage, and whilst I expect them to come good in the end (especially if they have a splurge in January) they are not doing as well as they should on the park this season.

Billy Whizz
19-09-2018, 06:15 PM
Almost a £60 million wage bill

where'stheslope
19-09-2018, 06:38 PM
Almost a £60 million wage bill
Its a scary amount but with their holding back on spending will prove to be the right thing to do, now that they have to share TV monies with the other Uglies this season.
The share holders will be rubbing their hands!!!!

BlackSheep
19-09-2018, 07:16 PM
https://stv.tv/amp/1431098-celtic-turnover-tops-100m-mark-as-profits-rocket/?__twitter_impression=true

£40m in the bank. Wage bill twice the size of Sevco’s turnover. No chance the league is heading anywhere but Parkhead for a while yet.

Based on that logic Leicester should have been nowhere near the top of the Premier League, never mind winning it!

While it’s still early days I think it’s clear to see that money isn’t everything this year.

Since90+2
19-09-2018, 07:23 PM
How does a £60 million wage bill compare to your average English Premier League team?

Michael
19-09-2018, 07:25 PM
Based on that logic Leicester should have been nowhere near the top of the Premier League, never mind winning it!

While it’s still early days I think it’s clear to see that money isn’t everything this year.

Leicester defied logic though.

BlackSheep
19-09-2018, 07:28 PM
Leicester defied logic though.

Are you saying that no one in our league could do the same?

Celtic hardly strolled it last year and they’ve had a terrible start by their own standards this season.

Let’s revisit in May.

Billy Whizz
19-09-2018, 07:35 PM
How does a £60 million wage bill compare to your average English Premier League team?

Less than a Burnley etc

Is It On....
19-09-2018, 08:17 PM

The £40m is before the John McGinn transfer fee though 😂😂

seanoheimhin
19-09-2018, 09:09 PM
Does anyone know what our annual wage bill is out of interest??

Juniper Greens
19-09-2018, 10:14 PM
The £40m is before the John McGinn transfer fee though 😂😂

He's going to them for nothing in January though?

Ozyhibby
19-09-2018, 11:32 PM

Between £4-5m I think.

monktonharp
20-09-2018, 12:02 AM
Between £4-5m I think.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI would think it is in that region. :dunno:
Cant see our club paying much more, can you|? Also, I am a bit confused that the gorgie mob are somehow able to "add" 18 players this season? is that correct? just a figure my friend mentioned.

Hibernia&Alba
20-09-2018, 10:47 AM
They have also just banked 20 million for Dembele. It's a huge financial gap between them and the rest.

CropleyWasGod
20-09-2018, 11:02 AM

Between £4-5m I think.

In the year to June 17, it was £4.5m. That was our total spend, including players, management, Board, commercial and admin staff. We don't break it down, other than £220k for Directors.

Billy Whizz
20-09-2018, 11:32 AM
In the year to June 17, it was £4.5m. That was our total spend, including players, management, Board, commercial and admin staff. We don't break it down, other than £220k for Directors.

How many paid directors do we have?

CropleyWasGod
20-09-2018, 11:32 AM
How many paid directors do we have?

2. Leeann and Jamie Marwick.

The Pointer
20-09-2018, 12:33 PM
2. Leeann and Jamie Marwick.

An absolute bargain. Given their ability and the time and effort they put into a pretty successful enterprise they deserve a lot more.

Since90+2
20-09-2018, 01:09 PM
An absolute bargain. Given their ability and the time and effort they put into a pretty successful enterprise they deserve a lot more.

I think the salaries are pretty decent to be honest. You'd imagine that LD will be on the biggest salary probably about £140,000 a year. That's good money for a CEO of a company turning over £8 million a year.

Mibbes Aye
20-09-2018, 01:13 PM

So that leaves £4.28m amongst everyone else.

Not that much once Rod has trousered his two mill :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
20-09-2018, 01:14 PM
I think the salaries are pretty decent to be honest. You'd imagine that LD will be on the biggest salary probably about £140,000 a year. That's good money for a CEO of a company turning over £8 million a year.

The highest-paid director was paid £117k in that year.

Since90+2
20-09-2018, 01:23 PM

Thanks. I still reckon that's a good salary in relation to the business turnsover.

It's not a dig at Dempster in anyway , she's doing a great job.

CropleyWasGod
20-09-2018, 01:25 PM
Thanks. I still reckon that's a good salary in relation to the business turnsover.

It's not a dig at Dempster in anyway , she's doing a great job.

That year probably had a performance-related bonus, given that we were promoted.

I am guessing there will be another one for last season, which will show up in the next accounts.

Keith_M
20-09-2018, 01:27 PM

You mean I'd have to take a pay cut to be in charge of Hibs?

jacomo
21-09-2018, 08:39 AM
Penny-pinched unnecessarily when faced with stumping up a reasonable fee for a talented young Scottish player, and as a result of a few examples of such behaviour their team is not quite as good as it should be.

I don't agree with you that it is so cut and dried.

They should be pressing home their significant advantage, and whilst I expect them to come good in the end (especially if they have a splurge in January) they are not doing as well as they should on the park this season.

They had a bad summer in terms of recruitment.

Yes, Celtc are probably underperforming at the moment but they have a significant ‘war chest’ and an opportunity to strengthen significantly in January.

They are still overwhelmingly favourites for the title, surely?

AndyM_1875
21-09-2018, 09:01 AM

Yes, Celtc are probably underperforming at the moment but they have a significant ‘war chest’ and an opportunity to strengthen significantly in January.

Of course they are. Basic economics alone dictates where the title will end up.

However the long term economic picture for Celtic is perhaps not so rosy. They are in a league of their own financially, miles away from everyone else and they have the most expensive squad in the league by a long long way.
Their sheer size strangles competition in the league. Their lowballing of fellow league members in transfer discussions leaves a bad taste. So where do they go from there? The door to England is well and truly closed so either they leave for some European superleague or they downsize domestically.

where'stheslope
21-09-2018, 09:07 AM
They have also just banked 20 million for Dembele. It's a huge financial gap between them and the rest.

In saying what you said, selling Dembele weakened their team, plus selling Armstrong weakened their squad?

No point in getting good money if you don't use it to try and improve or freshen up you squad!

Money in the bank does not win games, players do!!!!

worcesterhibby
21-09-2018, 10:49 AM

Interesting figures, at a rough approximation, I would guess that will be split roughly 1.5 million for directors, commercial and admin staff and about £3 million for the playing and coaching staff

If we assume that 85% of that goes to the first team squad and coaches and 15% goes to the Development team and coaches that means the The first team and the first team coaches average about 85K a year each. Pretty much what a decent (but not exceptional) EPL player gets a week ! ( the average weekly EPL wage is 51K per week but there are plenty on between 150k-250k a week)

ian cruise
21-09-2018, 11:38 AM
In saying what you said, selling Dembele weakened their team, plus selling Armstrong weakened their squad?

No point in getting good money if you don't use it to try and improve or freshen up you squad!

Money in the bank does not win games, players do!!!!

I've a funny feeling Celtic purposely banked cash to spend massively next summer.

Smartie
21-09-2018, 11:47 AM

I would say that they are favourites for the title, as I don't think any other individual team is close to them yet.

What I do think is that the standard of the competition is creeping steadily up, and a few teams are getting closer to them. They'll get tough games off us, Hearts, Sevco, Killie and Motherwell amongst others and the league will be a bit closer than it has been for a while.

Psychology is huge in football, particularly when it comes to Rangers and Celtic. When they develop a fear factor teams are often beaten before they've kicked off, especially in Glasgow. When Celtic went on their big run, teams were terrified of them. Hearts and Levein have done a decent job of denting that sense of invincibility, and there has been a laughable attempt to build up a similar fear of Stevie's Sevco. Every year for the past few years I've expected Rangers to be better, and there has been a brilliant moment every year when teams have realised "this mob are actually pretty pish" and just got torn in about them.

Celtic have a financial advantage which should see them have an ability to strengthen in January if they're in trouble, but they have imo had an abysmal summer when they really needed to kick on and improve their squad instead of drift backwards towards the pack. Their summer was so bad that it might even cost them their greatest asset - their talented manager - in which case it would really be game on.

I do not have Celtic on any of my accumulator outrights this season. I don't think there is an individual team that is better than them, but I don't think that they are so far ahead of the rest any more that I would rule out a surprisingly strong challenge coming from elsewhere. Deep down I had secretly hoped that we could get the band back together and take that solid challenge to them ourselves, but I don't think our summer recruitment has been quite good enough to replace the quality we've lost. I suppose my main hope now is that challenge doesn't come from across this city.