PDA

View Full Version : Jambos

houstonhibbee
18-09-2018, 10:32 PM
sorry about this being another thread about them, but curious.

Why did Hearts change their nickname from Jam Tarts to Jambos? Ive asked a few Hears fans and even they didnt know

Jam Tarts rhymes with Hearts but where does Jambo come from?

lapsedhibee
18-09-2018, 10:35 PM
sort about this being another thread about them, but curious.

Why did Hearts change their nickname from Jam Tarts to Jambos? Ive asked a few Hears fans and even they didnt know

It's an amalgamation of Jam Tart and Bubo, which is something to do with a plague. Most apt. :agree:

houstonhibbee
18-09-2018, 10:39 PM
It's an amalgamation of Jam Tart and Bubo, which is something to do with a plague. Most apt. :agree:

this could be a whoosh moment. Did you just make that up?

Hibbyradge
18-09-2018, 11:08 PM
this could be a whoosh moment. Did you just make that up?

:faf:

Sorry, but that's an ultra whoosh! 😀

Mibbes Aye
18-09-2018, 11:16 PM

Bluff. The real derivation is from 1986.

Its an amalgamation of Jam Tart and Boldly winning the League and Cup double in a single season :agree:

Hi Heid Yin
19-09-2018, 12:07 AM
Jambo derives from Jam tarts and BOttled-it....as in 1965 and 1986!

houstonhibbee
19-09-2018, 12:10 AM
:faf:

Sorry, but that's an ultra whoosh! 😀
Is that good? :greengrin

SirDavidsNapper
19-09-2018, 05:37 AM

The two aren't linked. Jambo is actually Latin for Dirtycheating****mytorypuddledrinkinggullibleminir angers. Far easier to say Jambo.

BILLYHIBS
19-09-2018, 06:13 AM
Still cannae get the images oot me heid fae the family club thread aw these brain washed delusionional young jambos coming doon the stairs at Motherwell singing the Billy Boys.

Dearie me!

What chance have ye got? :confused:

Northernhibee
19-09-2018, 06:22 AM
It's an amalgamation of JAM tart and the fact they’ve all got BO.

Hibs07p
19-09-2018, 07:26 AM
I'm pretty sure it's to do with all the debt they built up over years, winning things they couldn't afford, so it was JAM today BUGGER OFF tomorrow.

GGTTH
Scottish Cup Winners 2016

Diclonius
19-09-2018, 07:38 AM
ITT: Lots of incorrect derogatory explanations without the actual answer the OP is looking for.

Isn't it just a contraction of "Jam Tarts" with the suffix "-bo" at the end? Doubt any more explanation is needed than that. It's a common nickname variant.

G B Young
19-09-2018, 07:41 AM
The word is also an African greeting isn't it?

I remember speaking to an older yam a good few years ago who said he didn't like the word as he thought it was something derogatory that fans of other clubs had started to use. In his day they were always the Jam Tarts.

Out of interest, when did we become known as the Hibees? I used to have a 1970s penant on my bedroom wall with 'The Hibees' on it so it certainly goes back at least that far. My dad and grandad never remembered the word being used in the 50s.

BILLYHIBS
19-09-2018, 08:03 AM
I remember in the early sixties my Dad used to sing me this ditty

” Down in the jungle eating jam tarts
The worst team in the jungle is the Hearts

Down in the jungle letting off squibs
The best team in the jungle is the HIBS”

Childish I know but certainly in the sixties their nickname was “jam tarts”

I remember many Hearts supporters in the eighties saying to me that they considered the word “jambos” a deragatory term but they seemed to have adopted it as being their own moving into the 21st century.

Heard it a few times after the Cup Final we don’t talk about :greengrin

wookie70
19-09-2018, 08:12 AM
Jambo is Swahilli for "hello". Their favourite song is Jambo, Jambo we are the Billie Boys

Hibs07p
19-09-2018, 08:14 AM
ITT: Lots of incorrect derogatory explanations without the actual answer the OP is looking for.

Isn't it just a contraction of "Jam Tarts" with the suffix "-bo" at the end? Doubt any more explanation is needed than that. It's a common nickname variant.

I think you're having a whooosh moment.
Of course it is derogatory, it's called ripping the p!5h

I remember in the early sixties my Dad used to sing me this ditty

” Down in the jungle eating jam tarts
The worst team in the jungle is the Hearts

Down in the jungle letting off squibs
The best team in the jungle is the HIBS”

Childish I know but certainly in the sixties their nickname was “jam tarts”

In the 70's it was a bit more direct.
" In the Jungle, the Gorgie Jungle,
the Leith Team Rule Ya Bass "

GGTTH

BILLYHIBS
19-09-2018, 08:40 AM
I think you're having a whooosh moment.
Of course it is derogatory, it's called ripping the p!5h

In the 70's it was a bit more direct.
" In the Jungle, the Gorgie Jungle,
the Leith Team Rule Ya Bass "

GGTTH

Defo like your version better 😂

houstonhibbee
19-09-2018, 10:00 AM
So no one seems to really know the answer

jam tarts I think has always been their nickname and hibees for hibs although I think strictly speaking it’s “ the hi- bees “ with the hyphen

Hibbyradge
19-09-2018, 10:04 AM
Is that good? :greengrin

I think so :thumbsup:

Chic Murray
19-09-2018, 10:04 AM
It's an mnemonic for C**ts.

Smartie
19-09-2018, 10:14 AM
First I heard the word Jambo in the Hertz context was in an interview with Joe Tortolano in the programme in about 1992.

My auntie had been saying it for a few years prior to that after going on holiday to Kenya, where jambo means hello.

Tom Hart RIP
19-09-2018, 10:25 AM
Might be wrong but I think it started about the time the Rambo films came out???

BILLYHIBS
19-09-2018, 10:44 AM
Might be wrong but I think it started about the time the Rambo films came out???

You might be on to something here. Sly Stallone character in bred social outcast no respect for authority grunts a lot wears camouflage sneaks around in long grass punches out opponents???

WeeRussell
19-09-2018, 10:58 AM
So no one seems to really know the answer

jam tarts I think has always been their nickname and hibees for hibs although I think strictly speaking it’s “ the hi- bees “ with the hyphen

Pretty sure, as a poster above alluded to, it's just another shortened nickname. Unless I'm mistaken - there's no real explanation for Hibees, Hibs or Hibbies other than being short terms for Hibernian, and the same applies here.

Greenbeard
19-09-2018, 11:19 AM
Swahili Greetings practice

“Hello”: “Hujambo”, sometimes shortened to “jambo”. You can also use “habari” which has a rough meaning of news (i.e. “What’s the news about….?”). Use any of these, said with a smile, as you’re going in for the handshake. Or you can also say Fakdi Jambos.

ancient hibee
19-09-2018, 11:49 AM
You might be on to something here. Sly Stallone character in bred social outcast no respect for authority grunts a lot wears camouflage sneaks around in long grass punches out opponents???

And has a glorious failure at the end.

where'stheslope
19-09-2018, 11:58 AM
I think it came out at the time when the likes of Ryan Giggs became Giggsy, it was like an endearment or notoriety of some one or something.
But it could be they just used the name of Jambo the Gorilla that nurtured the wee boy in Jersey when he fell over the wall into the enclosure, he does look like many a Hertz player?????

Chic Murray
19-09-2018, 01:18 PM

It was definitely around in the late 70s, which predated Rambo. It was actually considered something of an insult then.

Chic Murray
19-09-2018, 01:34 PM

It was definitely around in the late 70s, which predated Rambo. It was actually considered something of an insult then.

AngloHibs
19-09-2018, 04:17 PM
Not claiming to be an expert, but I thought Jam Tarts referred to the team and Jambos referred to the fans. So two different things.

I'm English though, so what do I know? :)

NadeAteMyLunch!
19-09-2018, 10:49 PM

It defo stems from the Rambo films. A newspaper printed a picture of a couple of battered and bruised players celebrating a win one evening up in, I think, Dundee (so you can rule out 1986 [emoji38]) and called them the Jambos based on ‘Rambo’ and ‘Jam Tarts’. It stuck after that. So, named by a newspaper to answer the OP

heretoday
20-09-2018, 07:24 AM
Jam Tarts is the traditional nickname. Jambos came in during the eighties.
It's like calling us Hibbies. I'm sure I didn't hear that pre-1980. It was always Hibees.

SirDavidsNapper
20-09-2018, 07:49 AM
Jam Tarts is the traditional nickname. Jambos came in during the eighties.
It's like calling us Hibbies. I'm sure I didn't hear that pre-1980. It was always Hibees.

Not sure if it's true or not but my dad used to tell me the team were Hibees and the fans Hibbies. This is going all the way back to when he watched the Famous Five

houstonhibbee
20-09-2018, 04:54 PM
Not sure if it's true or not but my dad used to tell me the team were Hibees and the fans Hibbies. This is going all the way back to when he watched the Famous Five

would agree with that

cant think of a name for Hearts fans before Jambos, however that name seems to apply to fans and the team

20-09-2018, 05:07 PM

Because Jambo B*****d sounds better than Jam Tarts B*****d.

Kato
20-09-2018, 06:00 PM
cant think of a name for Hearts fans before Jambos

I can think of a few.

Joe6-2
20-09-2018, 06:58 PM
Jambo derives from Jam tarts and BOttled-it....as in 1965 and 1986!

JAMBOttled it

Joe6-2
20-09-2018, 07:01 PM
It's an mnemonic for C**ts.

😂😂

Fife-Hibee
20-09-2018, 07:07 PM
I've never known them as "Jam Tarts" or "Jambos". It has always been "fuds" for as far back as I can remember. :confused:

BullsCloseHibs
20-09-2018, 07:43 PM
We hate jam tarts and we hate yer Queen

BullsCloseHibs
20-09-2018, 07:44 PM

The whole topic is embarrassing!

Frazerbob
20-09-2018, 07:54 PM
I’ve asked this a few times, even my Merrick mates can’t answer. They were definitely Jam Tarts throughout the 80’s and IIRC during the 90’s Jambos became a bit of a derogatory term for them. A bit like how they use Hobos for us. Somehow, it became the norm and Jam Tarts seemed to be phased out. I still sing Jam Tarts when we sing ‘stand up if you hate.....’ or ‘can you hear the Jam Tarts sing?’ etc.

That’s my take on it, seems it goes against what most others recall tho lol

Billy Whizz
20-09-2018, 07:55 PM
Jambos for me, never called them Jam Tarts

Ram your 1902

nonshinyfinish
20-09-2018, 10:04 PM
The word is also an African greeting isn't it?

I remember speaking to an older yam a good few years ago who said he didn't like the word as he thought it was something derogatory that fans of other clubs had started to use. In his day they were always the Jam Tarts.

Out of interest, when did we become known as the Hibees? I used to have a 1970s penant on my bedroom wall with 'The Hibees' on it so it certainly goes back at least that far. My dad and grandad never remembered the word being used in the 50s.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere (probably on here) about a quote from a newspaper or similar in the 1930s referring to us as the Hi-Bees.