PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy O'Rourke - 72 Today!

Forza Fred
18-09-2018, 12:24 AM
Happy birthday to my all time favourite Hibs player.

The old saying about 'never meet your heroes as they won't live up to expectations' doesn't apply to Jimmy, as anyone who has met him will attest.

Jimmy was, and still is "one of our own" and was an integral part of the Turnbull's tornadoes era.

I saw him make his debut all these years ago against Utrecht, and no doubt everybody has a favourite memory of him..whether it being scoring in the League Cup final of 72, the 4-0 derby on his 19th birthday or whatever.

I was fortunate enough to be involved in helping organise a visit to Australia for Jimmy and his wife Ann about 10 years ago.

Jimmy appeared at functions in Perth Melbourne and Sydney, which are still talked about today, and was a wonderful ambassador for HiIbernian FC.

Happy Birthday Jimmy!

whiskyhibby
18-09-2018, 12:31 AM
Happy birthday to a real Hibs legend and again one of my favourite players watching Turnbulls Tornadoes as a young boy in the early 70's

basehibby
18-09-2018, 01:14 AM
Two in the seven and seventy two - Happy birthday Jimmy :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

hibbymark
18-09-2018, 03:04 AM
Everyone knows his name :flag:

Austinho
18-09-2018, 05:06 AM
Here's one I made earlier. Happy birthday Jimmy!

https://i.imgur.com/exPwcNk.jpg

JimBHibees
18-09-2018, 07:30 AM
That story about him being in a pub with a mix of Hibs and Hearts fans and he says to the Hearts fans something along the lines of I know you guys are dying to know this but it was the second and the sixth. Quality. :greengrin

hibeerealist
18-09-2018, 07:49 AM

The old saying about 'never meet your heroes as they won't live up to expectations' doesn't apply to Jimmy, as anyone who has met him will attest.

Jimmy was, and still is "one of our own" and was an integral part of the Turnbull's tornadoes era.

I saw him make his debut all these years ago against Utrecht, and no doubt everybody has a favourite memory of him..whether it being scoring in the League Cup final of 72, the 4-0 derby on his 19th birthday or whatever.

I was fortunate enough to be involved in helping organise a visit to Australia for Jimmy and his wife Ann about 10 years ago.

Jimmy appeared at functions in Perth Melbourne and Sydney, which are still talked about today, and was a wonderful ambassador for HiIbernian FC.

Happy Birthday Jimmy!

happy Birthday Jimmy, Lang may your lum reek!

One of our own and one of the best.

IWasThere2016
18-09-2018, 07:51 AM
Scored first Hibs goal I saw in the flesh. Second only to Pat Stanton IMHO. Happy Birthday to a true gent and Hibs Legend! :flag:

blackpoolhibs
18-09-2018, 07:55 AM
Happy birthday Jimmy, a true :hibees legend.

Bostonhibby
18-09-2018, 07:59 AM
Happy Birthday to a Hibs great.

Everyone knows his name.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
18-09-2018, 08:00 AM
http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/forwards/jimmy-o-rourke

Happy Birthday Jimmy Many Happy Returns

Six hatricks 1972/73 No bad !

:not worth:partyhibb:partyhibb:partyhibb:partyhibb:part yhibb:partyhibb

Wull
18-09-2018, 08:19 AM
My first Hibs strip had Jimmy's number 8 on it, what a player he was. Happy birthday Jimmy

brog
18-09-2018, 08:33 AM
Great player, great friend, but most importantly a truly great man. Happy birthday Jimmy.

Bangkok Hibby
18-09-2018, 09:59 AM
Legend. thanks for the memories Jimmy. Happy birthday sir.

Liam978
18-09-2018, 10:43 AM
Many Happy Returns Jimmy, and many more of them. From all at your branch, St Giles.

PatHead
18-09-2018, 11:24 AM
Many happy returns Jimmy. Thanks for the memories.

HIBERNIAN-0762
18-09-2018, 11:36 AM
Everyone knows his name 💚👍

Forza Fred
18-09-2018, 12:12 PM
That story about him being in a pub with a mix of Hibs and Hearts fans and he says to the Hearts fans something along the lines of I know you guys are dying to know this but it was the second and the sixth. Quality. :greengrin

Pedant Alert!

T’was actually the FIRST and the sixth....hence the start of the 7-0 song...’Jim O’Rourke thought Hibs were set, when he stuck the ball in the Jam Tarts net...”

BILLYHIBS
18-09-2018, 01:10 PM

No one expects the DOTNET INQUISITION! ��

hibeerealist
18-09-2018, 01:20 PM
Many Happy Returns Jimmy, and many more of them. From all at your branch, St Giles.

Hi “Liam”

Is Jimmy a St Giles legend too?

The great man just got greater for me ....... Only you, can make the darkness bright... ha ha

iwasthere1972
18-09-2018, 01:30 PM
Happy Birthday Jimmy. :aok:

Tom Hart RIP
18-09-2018, 01:46 PM
Favourite ever player. There will never be a better front two than Jimmy and Alan Gordon.

martinmcgurk
18-09-2018, 03:01 PM
Happy Birthday Jimmy. What a great goal scorer you were

The Harp
18-09-2018, 03:40 PM
All the best on your Birthday, and many more of them, Jimmy.

The term 'One of our Own' was made for you.

sarfoftheborder
18-09-2018, 04:49 PM
Happy Birthday Jimmy!

Liam978
18-09-2018, 05:36 PM
Hi “Liam”

Is Jimmy a St Giles legend too?

The great man just got greater for me ....... Only you, can make the darkness bright... ha ha

Still very much our honourary president Bert. Most of the Orourke family travelled on our bus from the Grassmarket at one time or another'

Hi Heid Yin
18-09-2018, 07:01 PM
A Turnbull's Tornado legend.
What a privilege to stand on the huge windswept and freezing cold terrace and watch O'Rourke go about his job with the rest of that wonderful early 70s team.
Here's to you Jimmy!
:party:

CropleyisGod
18-09-2018, 07:21 PM
Happy birthday Jimmy. I modeled myself on him and Gerd Muller based on body shape! Probably in one of his last games, I inadvertently started a chant of ‘Jimm-eee, Jimmee Oh-Rourke, EVERYONE KNOWS HIS NAME!!’ in the cowshed. The whole place erupted into chorus...pwoud, vewy vewy pwoud [emoji16]

Lago
18-09-2018, 07:27 PM
Happy birthday Jimmy. I modeled myself on him and Gerd Muller based on body shape! Probably in one of his last games, I inadvertently started a chant of ‘Jimm-eee, Jimmee Oh-Rourke, EVERYONE KNOWS HIS NAME!!’ in the cowshed. The whole place erupted into chorus...pwoud, vewy vewy pwoud [emoji16]
Those were the days my friend we thought they would never end & now they & I are in old age. How I loved them all.

Mick O'Rourke
18-09-2018, 08:01 PM
Happy Birthday, James.
Had a drink wae the wee man last week.
Well, he had a coffee. Lager for me.
Jimmy is due to get knee replacements soon.
Other than that,he is sound of mind !!

That figure had me thinking on a JO'R story.
Another pub one.of course !
Guy approaches Jimmy saying..
"see that seven nothing game,Hearts could have been two up in the first 5 minutes"
To which Jimmy replies
"Well, it would have been 7 2 then"

WoreTheGreen
18-09-2018, 08:04 PM
Happy Birthday, James.
Had a drink wae the wee man last week.
Well, he had a coffee. Lager for me.
Jimmy is due to get knee replacements soon.
Other than that,he is sound of mind !!

That figure had me thinking on a JO'R story Another pub one.of course !
Guy approaches Jimmy saying..
"see that seven nothing game,Hearts could have been two up in the first 5 minutes"
To which Jimmy replies
"Well, it would have been 7 2 then"

Jimmy never thought about bringing a book out?

ozhibs
18-09-2018, 09:51 PM

Happy Birthday Jimmy!

Some of the best nights of my life only beaten by the Scottish cup win :-)

Jimmy Jimmy O'Rourke everyone knows his name
Happy Birthday Jimmy

GGTTH

Roxyhibee
18-09-2018, 09:57 PM
Loads of fantastic memories of Jimmy O’Rourke which I’ve shared a few times on different threads. One of the all time Hibs’ greats.

Thanks for all the great times Jimmy and many happy returns.

Hamish
19-09-2018, 07:41 AM
Classic picture of the recent birthday boys

Roxyhibee
19-09-2018, 11:40 AM
Classic picture of the recent birthday boys

That’s brilliant.!

Drumlanrig
19-09-2018, 11:55 AM
Jimmy getting knee replacements?
Could he still do a job

hibeerealist
20-09-2018, 07:31 AM
Still very much our honourary president Bert. Most of the Orourke family travelled on our bus from the Grassmarket at one time or another'

Top man man and top branch