PDA

View Full Version : Who was it then?

Peevemor
17-09-2018, 09:28 PM
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45550817

I reckon the request may have been faxed.

Michael
17-09-2018, 09:38 PM
What's the point in not naming them?

Hibbyradge
17-09-2018, 09:42 PM
Definitely only a coincidence that this comes out now, at a time when the SFA are under pressure for having allowed Steven Gerrard off with saying that everyone has been plotting against them for years.

BegbieHSC
17-09-2018, 09:43 PM
Petrie!!!!

AK86
17-09-2018, 09:51 PM
That really is a sneaky we article , which only serves to cast doubt on about half a dozen chairman.
Either put up, or shut up.
I hope it was Petrie , but think it will be Aberdeen.

Hibernia&Alba
17-09-2018, 09:51 PM
I don't remember Queen of the South getting to the cup final. Fair play to them; I had no idea :greengrin

Eaststandee
17-09-2018, 09:53 PM
Petrie!!!!

I sincerely hope it was :greengrin

BegbieHSC
17-09-2018, 09:54 PM
If it was Petrie, I will retract every bad thing I’ve said about him, and write a written apology to him.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
17-09-2018, 09:56 PM
Peat looks like a Hun.

Hibernia&Alba
17-09-2018, 09:58 PM
If it was Petrie, I will retract every bad thing I’ve said about him, and write a written apology to him.

The tache going tonto on the phone would be a great story. I actually hope it was Hearts, just to scunner their loyalist faction :greengrin

Eyrie
17-09-2018, 09:58 PM
Almost certainly Celtc, as they were the ones competing with Huns RIP for the league title. Big disadvantage for Huns RIP having to play so many games in such a short space of time, which would have been a factor in their final day loss to Aberdeen which saw Celtc win the league.

jacomo
17-09-2018, 10:02 PM
The SFA should have declined Rangers the permission to travel to Manchester, given the mayhem and embarrassment it caused.

Tomsk
17-09-2018, 10:19 PM
At the height of the EBT years when OldHun were cheating Scottish football on an industrial scale, events which poisoned Scottish football and left the game open to contempt all under the incompetent governance of the SFA of which this hun fellow traveller was a president, a chairman of a club made a phone call asking that the season be not extended. This latter incident sticks in this old slaver's memory, not the cheating, not the mismanagement, not the businesses shafted by the Huns, not the taxes unpaid, a phone call. How do these ******s sleep at night?

Juniper Greens
17-09-2018, 10:24 PM
This sums up the SFA. Dinosaurs living in the past. He even then complains about one of the few positive developments the association has made, even if mackay shouldn’t be in charge of it

Greenbeard
17-09-2018, 10:38 PM
Peat for Chairman of the Auld Doddery XI? It's a fair bet he has personal knowledge of all of the squad nominees.

Hibernia&Alba
17-09-2018, 10:42 PM
At the height of the EBT years when OldHun were cheating Scottish football on an industrial scale, events which poisoned Scottish football and left the game open to contempt all under the incompetent governance of the SFA of which this hun fellow traveller was a president, a chairman of a club made a phone call asking that the season be not extended. This latter incident sticks in this old slaver's memory, not the cheating, not the mismanagement, not the businesses shafted by the Huns, not the taxes unpaid, a phone call. How do these ******s sleep at night?

Staunchly; no regrets and no surrender.

Ozyhibby
17-09-2018, 10:47 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180917/936c2b6e4f6ae07ff4a8eb453f90f41d.png
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180917/35a69bc67ccba203fd9526248519624e.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonty
18-09-2018, 05:52 PM
Confirming that rangers have been given preferential treatment in the past. But we knew that.

Ozyhibby
18-09-2018, 08:10 PM
Confirming that rangers have been given preferential treatment in the past. But we knew that.

They got it there as well. The league was extended. Peat’s whole complaint is that a club chairman didn’t want him to give Rangers preferential treatment.
I think it’s disgraceful that only one club chairman spoke up.

Smartie
18-09-2018, 08:19 PM
Personally I think we should be trying to help our clubs excel in Europe. Celtic should have been helped in 2003 (with Rangers' support) then Rangers assisted in 2008.

Once Celtic hadn't been helped in 2003, they couldn't exactly help Rangers in 2008.

The chairman will have been the Celtic chairman at the time. Absolutely no chance anybody else would care as much as them.

Although I remain firm in my belief that throughout the initial Sevco debacle Petrie was nothing but honourable, and he's had to stick by some group decisions that he finds thoroughly distasteful.

Joe6-2
18-09-2018, 08:24 PM
Almost certainly Celtc, as they were the ones competing with Huns RIP for the league title. Big disadvantage for Huns RIP having to play so many games in such a short space of time, which would have been a factor in their final day loss to Aberdeen which saw Celtc win the league.

I agree, first club I thought

Diclonius
18-09-2018, 08:28 PM
Celtic. End of discussion.

lapsedhibee
18-09-2018, 08:29 PM
Beggars belief that the clown chooses to pick out as a major regret that someone tried to stand up to his hunpandering. :bitchy:

brog
18-09-2018, 08:32 PM

Nail, bang, head. Perfect summary.

Prof. Shaggy
18-09-2018, 09:13 PM
What's the point in not naming them?

Possibly because he's made it up?

Ozyhibby
18-09-2018, 09:17 PM
Personally I think we should be trying to help our clubs excel in Europe. Celtic should have been helped in 2003 (with Rangers' support) then Rangers assisted in 2008.

Once Celtic hadn't been helped in 2003, they couldn't exactly help Rangers in 2008.

The chairman will have been the Celtic chairman at the time. Absolutely no chance anybody else would care as much as them.

Although I remain firm in my belief that throughout the initial Sevco debacle Petrie was nothing but honourable, and he's had to stick by some group decisions that he finds thoroughly distasteful.

Do other leagues postpone fixtures to help their teams in Europe?

PatHead
18-09-2018, 09:45 PM

Remember when a Championship club made it to the Scottish Cup final against the replacement club.

When Dundee United got to the two legged UEFA cup final the season was not extended, when Celtic got to the UEFA Cup final the season was not extended. When Hibs could have played the play off games on the midweek either side of the final. Think they were willing to extend the season by two days instead of games on the Saturday and Sunday, but no free week in the lead up to the final.

Why should it have been any different for Rangers?

Smartie
18-09-2018, 09:46 PM
Do other leagues postpone fixtures to help their teams in Europe?

They don't arrange domestic cup finals for a particular time of year assuming that their teams won't make a European final.

Is it unreasonable to put in provisions for "special circumstances" so that in case of a weather-postponement-induced fixture pile up a club (any club) could be given a REASONABLE time to recover between games?

I'm as unimpressed as anyone at the preferential treatment a particular club receives. I have a shred of sympathy for them in some aspects of this case.

Smartie
18-09-2018, 09:48 PM
Remember when a Championship club made it to the Scottish Cup final against the replacement club.

When Dundee United got to the two legged UEFA cup final the season was not extended, when Celtic got to the UEFA Cup final the season was not extended. When Hibs could have played the play off games on the midweek either side of the final. Think they were willing to extend the season by two days instead of games on the Saturday and Sunday, but no free week in the lead up to the final.

Why should it have been any different for Rangers?

I don't think it should have been different for Rangers.

I think we need to show greater understanding to all of the clubs you mentioned, and help them rather than hinder them.

PatHead
18-09-2018, 10:00 PM
I don't think it should have been different for Rangers.

I think we need to show greater understanding to all of the clubs you mentioned, and help them rather than hinder them.
Agree it would help but was demonstrating that both before and after their game it was not different.

Smartie
18-09-2018, 10:04 PM
If we do try to change anything - even now - it will be shot down under a shower of whataboutery.

Sometimes you need to put things behind you for the good of the game.

To move on, so to speak.

I don't think Rangers should receive special treatment, but that there should be a bit of understanding shown if ANY club finds itself in such a position late in the season.

Solid, clear, transparent rules that should be applied to any and every club.

PatHead
18-09-2018, 10:11 PM
If we do try to change anything - even now - it will be shot down under a shower of whataboutery.

To move on, so to speak.

I don't think Rangers should receive special treatment, but that there should be a bit of understanding shown if ANY club finds itself in such a position late in the season.

Agree with you. If any clubs make a European final or the national team need help or a championship side get to a cup final fixtures should get sorted.

celtic1888
18-09-2018, 10:45 PM
It was Celtic chairman John Reid who made the call.

Radium
19-09-2018, 03:27 AM
Perhaps the chairman in question simply pointed out how imperfect it would be to extend the season

Ozyhibby
19-09-2018, 04:48 AM

To move on, so to speak.

That last paragraph is where your argument falls down. Transparency doesn’t exist in Scottish football and even when it does, the SFA can’t even follow their own rules.

CentreLine
19-09-2018, 08:58 AM
Article by Aiden Smith in the Scotsman today puts a little perspective on Peat’s comments. Probably doesn’t go far enough but certainly calls him out on his selective memory.
Not able to put a link in on my phone but hopefully someone will oblige

JackHibs
19-09-2018, 09:38 AM
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/rangers/andrew-smith-george-peat-s-selective-memory-really-sticks-in-throat-1-4801898

Article by Aiden Smith in the Scotsman today puts a little perspective on Peat’s comments. Probably doesn’t go far enough but certainly calls him out on his selective memory.
Not able to put a link in on my phone but hopefully someone will oblige

Chic Murray
19-09-2018, 10:05 AM
This seems to be one of those issues where they are the same club.

I thought we had moved on, but it appears not.