PDA

View Full Version : Defence

Sir David Gray
16-09-2018, 01:01 PM
Let me first of all make it clear that I would be more than happy with a 3-2 win every week.

However I just wondered where everyone else felt we were going wrong defensively. We have only kept 2 clean sheets in the 12 competitive matches we have played so far this season. Everyone seems quite content with our defenders as individual players but collectively it doesn't seem to be quite clicking so what exactly is the problem?

We have a very good attack which is reflected in the fact we have scored 28 goals in those 12 games but we have also lost 19 goals and our 6 goals conceded in the league is the highest figure outside the bottom 4 teams in the league.

Anyone have any thoughts on why we have such a leaky defence? Is it more to do with the midfield?

Blaster
16-09-2018, 01:02 PM
Let me first of all make it clear that I would be more than happy with a 3-2 win every week.

However I just wondered where everyone else felt we were going wrong defensively. We have only kept 2 clean sheets in the 12 competitive matches we have played so far this season. Everyone seems quite content with our defenders as individual players but collectively it doesn't seem to be quite clicking so what exactly is the problem?

We have a very good attack which is reflected in the fact we have scored 28 goals in those 12 games but we have also lost 19 goals and our 6 goals conceded in the league is the highest figure outside the bottom 4 teams in the league.

Anyone have any thoughts on why we have such a leaky defence? Is it more to do with the midfield?

Not getting a consistent run without injury. Gray out for Livingston game, Hanlon yesterday. McGregor missing a few game now

Hibernia&Alba
16-09-2018, 01:07 PM
It wouldn't be Hibs without a sieve like defence :greengrin. 3-2 is far more us than 1-0. At least it isn't boring, but fewer scares would be welcome. Injuries are having an impact; hopefully, we'll improve when we have a regular defence playing.

bigwheel
16-09-2018, 01:08 PM
Think the changes in midfield have a lot to do with it too...McGinn, McGeough and Bartley (injury) all had big parts to play in our good goals against column last season...we have not yet had a full strength or settled side...our midfield that started yesterday (other than Whittaker) just wanted to go forward...a bit more balance required I think....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blackpoolhibs
16-09-2018, 01:08 PM
We have not defended well from the front this season, numerous reasons why, but when we start to have a settled side i'm convinced we will do better.

With all the chopping and changing we've had in midfield and up top, i'd hate to be a defender with what we've had in front of them this season, but in fairness they have scored and created at the other end

J-C
16-09-2018, 01:58 PM
We have not defended well from the front this season, numerous reasons why, but when we start to have a settled side i'm convinced we will do better.

With all the chopping and changing we've had in midfield and up top, i'd hate to be a defender with what we've had in front of them this season, but in fairness they have scored and created at the other end

This.

the midfielders need to start defending, pressing opposition and basically doing more. It's been said on a few occasions in various threads that Mallan, Hyndman and even Horgan can let their man go past without a challenge or even tracking back, Whittaker is not the man to be playing DM all on his own and hopefully having Milligan in there will add that bit of steel in the middle that will protect the back 4 a bit more. I'm all for having an attacking attractive team scoring goals but at the same time we need to make sure our defence is protected.