PDA

View Full Version : Your “Room 101” for music, musicians and bands

Northernhibee
15-09-2018, 07:32 PM
What would you put into your Room 101 when it comes to music? You get three picks.

My first is technically proficient bands who offer little in the way of excitement. Seen The 101 at Belladrum who could play their instruments well but were dull as dishwater. Compare that with bands like Retro Video Club and Parliamo who weren’t perfect and had tech issues but poured everything into it and I know what I’d rather watch every day of the week.

Second is bands who play the exact same set every night. I like not knowing what song is coming next and with the invention of the web it just seems lazy. Sleaford Mods do it and they’re just a laptop and a mic ffs.

Third is Queen. I hate, and that’s without hyperbole, everything they’ve done. I hate how they can’t leave a song alone when they’re on the cusp of a good idea, I hate their pomposity, I hate how they tour with a reality show contestant, I hate how their fans seem to assume that everyone adores them and wants to hear them in every pub, club and bus home. Entirely without merit.

Pretty Boy
16-09-2018, 08:15 AM
Foo Fighters. Samey, rock by numbers. I got dragged to see them live a few years back and Dave Grohls 'nicest man in rock' persona just came across as a bit conceited as well (although I'm sure he is quite a nice man). My girlfriend likes them which about sums them up.

Moulin Yarns
16-09-2018, 08:47 AM
Simple Minds. Jim Kerr thinks he is Bono and the band thinks they are U2.

U2. Bono thinks he is Jim Kerr and the band thinks they are Simple Minds.

Bangkok Hibby
16-09-2018, 08:55 AM
The Bee Gees. Yes I know they're all dead or at deaths door but a more arrogant bunch of twats you'd be hard pushed to find.

U2. Just because of Bono who thinks he's the new Messiah

Morrisey!!!!

.Sean.
16-09-2018, 08:59 AM
All that rap *****, Drake etc.

All that grime *****.

That big fat boy that sings Crazy

matty_f
16-09-2018, 09:22 AM
Foo Fighters. Samey, rock by numbers. I got dragged to see them live a few years back and Dave Grohls 'nicest man in rock' persona just came across as a bit conceited as well (although I'm sure he is quite a nice man). My girlfriend likes them which about sums them up.

They would be mine. Can't take to them at all.

Also agree with Sean re all the rap stuff and that, 90% of the crap that's in the charts just now sounds indistinguishable from each other.

Those of us that experienced the 90's are very fortunate.

Smartie
16-09-2018, 09:42 AM
Sting.

Hate his voice and his arrogance.

I should probably like the Police's music but I just can't detach him from them.

Smartie
16-09-2018, 09:44 AM
All that rap *****, Drake etc.

All that grime *****.

That big fat boy that sings Crazy

Rap seems to have gone backwards. There was some top notch rap music in the late 80s, through the 90s probably up until early Eminem.

I haven't heard any new rap music that I've liked for years.

Northernhibee
16-09-2018, 09:48 AM
Rap seems to have gone backwards. There was some top notch rap music in the late 80s, through the 90s probably up until early Eminem.

I haven't heard any new rap music that I've liked for years.

Deltron 3030 are great.

IGRIGI
16-09-2018, 02:17 PM
Beatles. I've never understood the obsession.

weecounty hibby
16-09-2018, 04:28 PM
Ed Sheeran. Boring as and overrated but a media darling
U2 in general but mostly Bono, knob of the highest order
Texas
Jim Kerr
Robbie Williams
Justin Bieber
I could have a very long list of I really tried

Bangkok Hibby
16-09-2018, 04:35 PM
The Bee Gees. Yes I know they're all dead or at deaths door but a more arrogant bunch of twats you'd be hard pushed to find.

U2. Just because of Bono who thinks he's the new Messiah

Morrisey!!!!

Ach there's plenty

Thon Cinnamon weedgie
Ed Sheerin
Any rap artist
Anyone who plays freeform jazz
Meatloaf
Liam Gallagher

Mibbes Aye
16-09-2018, 04:48 PM
Seen a few mentions of U2 on here and while I can’t disagree with the criticisms of Bono, I think it is probably an injustice to their earlier work.

War and The Unforgettable Fire were fine albums at the time and and had their own distinct sound. The Joshua Tree was just simply massive, one of those albums that sits in a particular and relatively small category of being epochal.

i pretty much stopped listening to them after that though, didn’t really like Rattle and Hum and Madchester and hip-hop had firmly taken over on my list of musical priorities :greengrin

brianmc
16-09-2018, 04:52 PM
David Bowie, out of tune ****

Phil Collins, no explanation required ;)

Coldplay, banal dross

That's my starter for 3 - I have many, many more

green leaves
16-09-2018, 05:22 PM
The Beatles overrated and no really that good.
The Jam/Paul Weller never tire of hitting him with a shovel
Elvis be honest he wasn't very good

Galahibby
16-09-2018, 06:23 PM
Paul McCartney.

He’s lived off John Lennon for the past 40 years (much like Roger Taylor and Brian May have been doing for many years with Freddie). Although, if anyone hasn’t seen his carpool karaoke with James Corden, you should watch it. It’s superb, and that’s coming from someone who can’t stand either of them.

johnbc70
16-09-2018, 07:18 PM
Opinions eh! The Beatles are the outstanding band of the last century, so many good songs. Inspired so many others as well. Wish I had a drop of the talent someone like McCartney has, he is a modern day great like Mozart, Beethoven or Amadeus.

Moulin Yarns
17-09-2018, 05:58 AM
Opinions eh! The Beatles are the outstanding band of the last century, so many good songs. Inspired so many others as well. Wish I had a drop of the talent someone like McCartney has, he is a modern day great like Mozart, Beethoven or Amadeus.

One and the same. :wink:

johnbc70
17-09-2018, 06:01 AM
One and the same. :wink:

I just picked the very few I knew!

Pretty Boy
17-09-2018, 08:06 AM

I'd stick people who don't like The Beatles and Paul McCartney in Room 101.:agree:

Hiber-nation
17-09-2018, 11:08 AM

I thought they were pretty average until I heard their Wasting Light album, it's excellent. So I listened to the others properly and there's some decent stuff in there, if not as good as that one.

I think people maybe mention the Beatles in these threads to get a reaction.

Tomsk
17-09-2018, 12:30 PM
Beatles do nothing for me, but I wouldn't stick them in room 101.

If it has to be only three then it's Lulu (infuriatingly annoying and Weegie), Adele (bafflingly overrated) and Queen (just meh).

IGRIGI
17-09-2018, 01:15 PM
Yellow Submarine on par with Mozart?

Please.

Northernhibee
17-09-2018, 01:18 PM

Please.

A Day In The Life is, I used to play euphonium in a local orchestra and appreciate the composition of it very much.

Hiber-nation
17-09-2018, 02:24 PM

Please.

Well done you for picking their worst ever song. For all I know it might be on a par with Mozart, having never knowingly listened to any of his err...stuff.

MSK
17-09-2018, 02:30 PM
Franz Ferdinand

blackpoolhibs
17-09-2018, 02:37 PM
Queen were fantastic, great songs, great concerts and what a voice from Freddie. Seen them many times, in the early 70s, 80s and with Paul Rodgers and the current guy Adam Lambert.

Lambert is much better than Rodgers, he brings a huge presence to the stage, and gets the songs over very well and puts on a very good show.

Each member of the original band have written number 1s, although for me they were more an album band, with 2 or 3 superb songs in each album.

Quite why anyone would put them in room 101 is beyond me. :greengrin

Now U2, never liked them bar the odd tune, and its the same with Bowie, his voice just grates with me. :jamboak:

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-09-2018, 02:46 PM
Queen were fantastic, great songs, great concerts and what a voice from Freddie. Seen them many times, in the early 70s, 80s and with Paul Rodgers and the current guy Adam Lambert.

Lambert is much better than Rodgers, he brings a huge presence to the stage, and gets the songs over very well and puts on a very good show.

Each member of the original band have written number 1s, although for me they were more an album band, with 2 or 3 superb songs in each album.

Quite why anyone would put them in room 101 is beyond me. :greengrin

Had a feeling you wouldnae let that go by!

blackpoolhibs
17-09-2018, 06:31 PM
Had a feeling you wouldnae let that go by!

:greengrin

makaveli1875
17-09-2018, 06:42 PM
Id like to put Simon Cowell in there

Followed by Madonna

And finally Jay Z and Beyonce

WeeRussell
18-09-2018, 03:38 AM
Biffy Clyro

Heavy metal

Baby shark

Moulin Yarns
18-09-2018, 08:52 AM
Cher covering every ABBA song with her stupid vibrato voice thing.

I mean, Gimme a Man After Midnight. Just wrong from a 95 years old.

blackpoolhibs
18-09-2018, 09:28 AM
Cher covering every ABBA song with her stupid vibrato voice thing.

I mean, Gimme a Man After Midnight. Just wrong from a 95 years old.

:faf::faf::agree:

heretoday
18-09-2018, 10:15 AM
Every band and musician had their day when they were the bees knees. Bands mentioned above like Sting and The Police, U2 and Simple Minds were great back in the eighties but have (in my opinion) never equalled that creativity since. The money has kept rolling in but that'sjust business.

In the case of The Beatles, I'm sure that, had they stayed together, they'd have dried up too and their songs would have become either derivative of earlier hits or just filler as in so many Stones and Bowie albums since the eighties.

Hibrandenburg
18-09-2018, 10:22 AM
Any factory produced boy band since the early 80's.

Pete
18-09-2018, 12:16 PM

Please.

Ah but do you know how Yellow Submarine goes? I bet the whole world can hum it.

What makes a good song?

Future17
18-09-2018, 02:29 PM
Biffy Clyro

Heavy metal

Baby shark

That's next year's T In The Park line-up sorted.

Northernhibee
18-09-2018, 02:35 PM
That's next year's T In The Park line-up sorted.

But where would Calvin Harris and Snow Patrol play?

SuperAllyMcleod
18-09-2018, 07:57 PM
Queen
Queen
Queen

I just want to make sure they go in!

As Danny Baker is always saying, Queen were the band that Punk music were rebelling against, so I suppose they must be given a little credit for giving us so many great Punk bands. Not enough to keep them out of room 101 though [emoji4]

Peevemor
18-09-2018, 08:02 PM
Queen
Queen
Queen

As Danny Baker is always saying, Queen were the band that Punk music were rebelling against, so I suppose they must be given a little credit for giving us so many great Punk bands. Not enough to keep them out of room 101 though [emoji4]Danny f****** Baker? Well if we're using him as a reference...

Northernhibee
18-09-2018, 08:45 PM
Biffy Clyro

Heavy metal

Baby shark

Not so much heavy metal, but more when guitarists start making stupid faces in the middle of "guitar ****ery" guitar solos. It doesn't hurt to play guitar. The singer from Status Quo is very bad for this.

I'd put Muse in as I hate their music, but I suppose that even ugly smelly virgins need a band that they can relate to.

Hibby70
18-09-2018, 10:13 PM
Singer : Eddie ****ing Reader
Band : The 1975 pish
Song : that Shotgun ***** by George Ezra

Hiber-nation
19-09-2018, 06:21 AM
Song : that Shotgun ***** by George Ezra

That is up there with the most irritating songs ever.

Pretty Boy
19-09-2018, 10:06 AM
That is up there with the most irritating songs ever.

Guy has a face you would never tire of punching into the bargain.

lyonhibs
19-09-2018, 12:33 PM
1. Any of that weird synthesized voice warbling *****
2. The whole trance/techno light show and boom boom boom ***** "music" genre. I can only imagine they are all on hefty retainers from epilepsy medicine manufacturers.
3. ****ing Morrissey. Makes Bono seem a genteel and self aware member of society, and that takes some doing.

blackpoolhibs
21-09-2018, 04:54 PM
Queen
Queen
Queen

As Danny Baker is always saying, Queen were the band that Punk music were rebelling against, so I suppose they must be given a little credit for giving us so many great Punk bands. Not enough to keep them out of room 101 though [emoji4]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfu-oko0Fl8 . :greengrin

overdrive
22-09-2018, 01:56 AM
Biffy Clyro

Heavy metal

Baby shark

Never diss The Biff. Despite being Sevco fans, I love them. Soundtrack to my hellish last couple of months.

Katie Melua. Quite a hot looking girl but as soon as she opens her mouth I have irrational urge to vomit. I’m being serious here... there is something about her that just makes me feel physically sick despite fancying her.

Just Jimmy
23-09-2018, 07:12 AM
Never diss The Biff. Despite being Sevco fans, I love them. Soundtrack to my hellish last couple of months.

Katie Melua. Quite a hot looking girl but as soon as she opens her mouth I have irrational urge to vomit. I’m being serious here... there is something about her that just makes me feel physically sick despite fancying her.most of biffy are killie fans. I think the lead guy is a currant bun tho.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Moulin Yarns
23-09-2018, 09:02 AM
most of biffy are killie fans. I think the lead guy is a currant bun tho.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

:agree:
They were all at our League Cup win supporting Killie

Killiehibbie
23-09-2018, 11:37 AM
most of biffy are killie fans. I think the lead guy is a currant bun tho.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk2 out of 3 non huns is probably above average in these parts.

Mixu62
06-10-2018, 07:36 AM
Shawn Mendez I think his name is. Whingey whiney creepy cringe. Anytime that rubbish comes on radio I can't change the channel quick enough.

Mantis Toboggan
07-10-2018, 04:07 PM
Some excellent completely uninformed generalisations about rap music there.

Mumford and Sons. Absolutely appalling.

J-C
08-10-2018, 11:28 AM
Any power rock bands from the 80's Foreigner, Europe etc, or any cheesy pop bands from the same era, Kajagoogoo, Black Lace and any other naff 80's pop band of the time.

Sylar
08-10-2018, 04:09 PM
Abba.

All indie bands.

All "The ..." bands.

Abba.

Ian Brown and the Stone Roses.

The Rolling Stones.

The Gallagher brothers and whatever project they happen to be involved in.

Abba.

Lily Allen.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Kanye West.

Ed Sheeran.

The Modfather
08-10-2018, 06:24 PM
Abba.

All indie bands.

All "The ..." bands.

Abba.

The Rolling Stones.

Abba.

Lily Allen.

Kanye West.

Ed Sheeran.

Each to their own musically, but what have you got against band names beginning with “The”? 🤨

matty_f
08-10-2018, 06:57 PM
Abba.

All indie bands.

All "The ..." bands.

Abba.

The Rolling Stones.

Abba.

Lily Allen.

Kanye West.

Ed Sheeran.
Let this be a warning to you kids, this is what happens when you support Livi! :greengrin

Sylar
09-10-2018, 09:47 AM
Each to their own musically, but what have you got against band names beginning with “The”? 🤨

They typically fit into either the Indie genre or contain follow-ups such as "Beatles", "Rolling Stones", "Who", "Prodigy" or "Stone Roses". I give a pass to the White Stripes. :greengrin

Sylar
09-10-2018, 09:49 AM
Let this be a warning to you kids, this is what happens when you support Livi! :greengrin

My fabulous taste in music comes naturally, I assure you :wink:

Hibee87
09-10-2018, 12:44 PM
They typically fit into either the Indie genre or contain follow-ups such as "Beatles", "Rolling Stones", "Who", "Prodigy" or "Stone Roses". I give a pass to the White Stripes. :greengrin

Id class The White Stipes as both indie and inluding 'The' in their name, you really need to make your mind up :greengrin

P.S you must detest The The :na na:

Chic Murray
10-10-2018, 11:23 AM
Simple Minds. Jim Kerr thinks he is Bono and the band thinks they are U2.

U2. Bono thinks he is Jim Kerr and the band thinks they are Simple Minds.

What's the difference between God and Bono?

God doesn't walk about Dublin thinking he's Bono.

I try my hardest to think of reasons why the world's most successful band shouldn't go in Room 101, and keep coming back to the same answer. There are none.

I'd also stick The Who in there, because they have not done anything in 45 years, yet still pass themselves off as relevant.

A really controversial one is Ray Davies. I love the Kinks, I love their songs, but the guy gets on my nerves because he thinks it's all about him, and he is pretty nasty to a lot of people who have been good to him.

WeeRussell
10-10-2018, 11:43 AM
Abba.

All indie bands.

All "The ..." bands.

Abba.

The Rolling Stones.

Abba.

Lily Allen.

Kanye West.

Ed Sheeran.

Wrong thread. Surely!!!! :confused:
:greengrin

Mixu62
17-10-2018, 07:35 AM
Has anyone mentioned mumford and sons yet? Just saw an ad for then playing over here soon. If we could lock all the doors and not let them out again, that'd be great.

wpj
17-10-2018, 07:54 AM
Has anyone mentioned mumford and sons yet? Just saw an ad for then playing over here soon. If we could lock all the doors and not let them out again, that'd be great.

I don't get them either, they aren't bad musicians just boring to my ears

Smartie
18-10-2018, 07:30 AM
I don't get them either, they aren't bad musicians just boring to my ears

I think it's the singer.

Stick someone like Shane McGowan in there and I think they'd be much better.

There's a feeling of a lack of authenticity about them but there's something in there that I quite like. It falls short though, and they bug me too.