PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Kilmarnock 15092018)

Jonnyboy
15-09-2018, 06:44 PM
At last the international break was over and it was time to get back to watching Hibs. I hate these breaks and find they’re a pain in the posterior because much as I always want Scotland to win, watching my club side means a lot more to me. I was also glad that Hibs would have the chance to redeem themselves after a poor outcome in the last match away to Livi. I thought some of the reaction to that defeat was overly critical and that at worst it was a poor forty five minutes. I guess though that some folk are never happy as the guy sitting two along from me today moaned his way through the entire ninety minutes, when he wasn’t busy looking at his phone that is.

As to the game today, Kilmarnock I knew would provide stern opposition and as it turned out they did that very thing. Thankfully, that opposition was not enough to save them from defeat and the result gave me double the pleasure as we won three points and the most torn faced manager in football had to witness it. I’m convinced Steven/Stephen/Stevie Clarke (take your pick) must smile first thing in the morning to get it out of the way. Despite Clarke’s dour puss I have to say it was a very entertaining ninety minutes with both sides playing football the way it should be played.

With Paul Hanlon missing due to a hamstring injury, Lenny was more or less obliged to go 4-5-1 with Boyler tasked with the job of supporting Flo. Porteous played left of the two central defenders and I feel that his inexperience didn’t help as Killie advanced down their right and often faced only Lewis with Horgan trying to make ground.

The opening exchanges were fairly even although the pace of Boyle looked to be worrying the Killie defence whilst O’Donnell and Burke looked lively on the right for Killie. Just past the ten minute mark, Boyle was crudely brought down around twenty five yards from goal. Having initially tried to allow advantage, referee John Beaton brought play back to where the offence was committed. Jamie MacDonald set his wall up and then took up his position on the other side of the goal. Neither of those instances made a difference to the outcome as Stevie Mallan struck a sublime free kick, into the top corner of the net. It was a beauty and generated a huge roar from the home support.

Hibs were on the up now although as I said earlier Horgan and Stevenson were being stretched as Killie kept trying to build play down their right. Ten minutes or so after Mallan’s opener, David Gray doubled the Hibs lead with a carbon copy goal of the one that secured the Scottish Cup in May 2016. Indeed it was so similar I expected to see Andy Halliday on his knees with his head in his hands. As it was the Killie defence settled for casting accusing glances at each other.

As so often happens, a goal was scored soon after that second only this time it was the visitors that struck. Stevenson was horribly exposed down their right and Horgan failed to track his runner, allowing O’Donnell to fire a low ball into the area and Brophy reacted the quickest to flick the ball past Bogdan at the front post. Greg Stewart, who’d been involved in the build-up for the Killie goal was causing the Hibs defence some problems with his close control and on more than one occasion he seemed to skip past a number of challenges with ease, at one point setting up Brophy but Bogdan saved the effort. It was Stewart that next found the net with half time looming he picked the ball up around twenty yards out and skipped past Whittaker’s despairing lunge before sending a left foot curler into the top corner of the net. It was as good a goal as Mallan’s in my opinion with those strikes indicative of just how good a game it was.

At half time, Boyle’s earlier injury incurred at the free kick which led to the opening goal meant he was unable to continue and Lenny replaced him with another pacey forward in Thomas Agyepong. Just moments into the half, Mallan struck a fierce dipping drive at the Killie goal and it seemed to whizz past the post. Referee John Beaton gave a corner kick which to me indicated he was the only person in the ground that saw MacDonald touch the effort as it passed him. Put it this way, had it been on target it would have been a goal because MacDonald looked well beaten.

The second half didn’t have the goals of the first but it did have both sides going forward at every opportunity in an effort to gain a lead. Taylor of Killie went close and then Kamberi headed just wide from a corner. It was beginning to look like the game would finish at 2-2 but substitute Jamie Maclaren was felled in the box by Broadfoot and Kamberi blasted home the spot kick to win the points. I confess that I’d been saying throughout the second half that Kamberi should be hooked because he had contributed little or nothing but after Maclaren came on he seemed to get a new lease of life. Rushing in to the Killie box late on, he elected to try and find Maclaren with a pass across the area when a shot at goal seemed the better option. Agyepong then did well to hold off two Killie defenders, proving that he might look small but he’s very strong on the ball. New man Mark Milligan, who replaced Whittaker, made a couple of telling challenges and was always talking to team mates to keep them alert. As time ebbed away, Bogdan made an excellent save from a Boyd header and then Hibs got lucky when Ambrose appeared to foul Broadfoot in the box but the referee played on. It looked a penalty but I don’t mind Hibs getting this kind of break as we don’t get them often.

The players

Adam – Once again I thought he did well. No chance with either goal and commanded his area well in going for high ball’s into the box and plucking them out of the air. Had a couple of decent saves, most notably the one at the death from a Boyd header.

SDG – Another fine performance from our captain. Defended stoutly and took his goal in Scottish Cup winning fashion. Still needs to work on the celebration though!

Efe – Absolutely strolled through the game with only one very minor Efe moment. When he went on a forward run, strolling past several Killie players he looked majestic, only to over hit a simple pass to Horgan. That’s Efe for you.

Ryan – Didn’t look entirely happy as the left sided centre half and a couple of stray passes could have gotten us into trouble but when we had our backs to the wall late in the game he thundered into one challenge, clearly winning the ball and earning a huge cheer from the home fans.

Lewis – Louie always looks happier when his fellow lefty Paul Hanlon is in the side. As I said earlier, he suffered when Ryan, as a natural right sided player, was not giving the same sort of cover as Paul would. Nevertheless, I do feel he was partly to blame for the second Killie goal as he allowed himself to be muscled off the ball near the corner flag.

Boyler – Martin had a few telling runs in the first half but clearly suffered after the tackle that led to us opening the scoring from Mallan’s free kick. I heard Clarke on the radio saying it was a soft award. That’ll be why Boyler was injured right enough.

Emerson – I’m still to be convinced by him. Had very little involvement in the game and as I watched I couldn’t help but wonder what was going through Slivka’s mind that he can’t get selected ahead of him.

Stevie – Much better this week in that he chased and harried as well as trying to be creative. His free kick was a thing of beauty. I’ve heard people say he’s not as good as McGinn. It should be remembered that when SJM arrived he had to develop into the player that was sold to Villa. Mallan just needs to be afforded that time to develop.

Whitty – Once again I thought he had a decent first half but struggled in the second until his replacement. It really can’t help when he hears a growing hubbub of impatience when he doesn’t pass the ball on as quickly as his detractors would like.

Daryl – Not quite so involved than as of late but I feel that’s because he was played wide left. He is, in my opinion, much more effective through the middle. Having said all of that, he does have that quality which has us as fans sliding onto the edge of our seats.

Flo – Looks a million miles off full fitness and laboured through the first seventy minutes but came to life after the introduction of Maclaren. He did however make a first class job of converting the penalty.

Tommy – I’m calling him that because it’s easier to spell than his surname. Looks the part, quick and strong on the ball and pleasingly always looking to receive a pass.

Milligan – Looks strong and is clearly a talker. A couple of strong challenges bordering on yellow’s but I like what I’ve seen so far.

Jamie – Plays on the shoulder of the last man and gives them no peace. It was his clever movement that won us the penalty.

Lenny – I heard his post match interview and as he rightly says we are still a work in progress.

The fans – Turned out in great numbers again but there was not a lot of singing today which was puzzling.

The ref – John Beaton had a decent game. I can’t believe I’ve just typed that.

SouthMoroccoStu
15-09-2018, 06:53 PM
Great summary as always

I also felt dirty saying Beaton had a good game!

Flo isn’t a lone striker, he needs a buddy! That’s why we got the band back together

The team with 20 minutes to go should be our starting line up

Took me 20-25 minutes to know Horgan or Hyndman were on the pitch

But Horgan put some great balls in the box, begging for Maclaren to get on, before he was on the park

Hyndman and Mallan don’t work together- nothing against either player

hibbyfraelibby
15-09-2018, 07:13 PM
Hyndman for me brought nothing to the game except exceptionally awful boots. Slyvka has to get a start in the next game.

Peevemor
15-09-2018, 07:15 PM
Totally disagree regarding SDG's goal celebrations. A simple fist - pumping, roaring outburst of raw emotion. He's always too caught up in the moment to think about any choreographed stuff.

marinello59
15-09-2018, 07:23 PM
An excellent summary as always. That was an excellent game of football today, both teams deserve a lot of credit for that.
Mallan turned in his best all round performance since joining us today and well deserved named as the official man of the match.

hibbydog
15-09-2018, 07:35 PM
I thought the same thing about the SDG goal. Fantastic memories rekindled and really enjoyed the ‘who put the ball in the Rangers net’ chant.

Had a good game today. One of my favourite human beings, never mind Hibs players!!

Jonnyboy
15-09-2018, 08:15 PM
Totally disagree regarding SDG's goal celebrations. A simple fist - pumping, roaring outburst of raw emotion. He's always too caught up in the moment to think about any choreographed stuff.

:greengrin He needs to take some tips from Efe :faf:

B.H.F.C
15-09-2018, 08:17 PM
Hyndman for me brought nothing to the game except exceptionally awful boots. Slyvka has to get a start in the next game.

Really got to wonder if Slivka has a future with us now. He doesn’t seem to be in Lennon’s thoughts at all.

SirDavidsNapper
15-09-2018, 08:27 PM

Agree with that. SDG nails his celebration every time

brog
15-09-2018, 09:12 PM
Excellent as ever John, thanks. I think we really only appreciate what Paul H gives our team when he's not there!

worcesterhibby
15-09-2018, 09:23 PM
Thanks great summary, looking forward to the highlights.

SideBurns
16-09-2018, 01:42 AM
Good summary JB, and in particular agree with your comments re Porteous & Hyndman; Stevenson would never have been so exposed had his fellow 'lefty' Hanlon been playing (and I still thought Ryan had a good game btw, but as you said never looked entirely comfortable as left centre-half), and Hyndman simply doesn't contribute enough - too happy to just pass the ball on at the first opportunity instead of trying to take responsibility and make something happen.

Danderhall Hibs
16-09-2018, 07:01 AM
Is it maybe the case that Stevenson needs too much help? Complaints that Horgan wasn’t doing enough, Porteous wasn’t doing enough and that we should have an additional centre half playing.

I’m sure Stevenson is the type of boy that’ll take more responsibility than the excuses given for him on here. That might even be why he was far more effective in the 2nd half.

SideBurns
16-09-2018, 07:26 AM
Is it maybe the case that Stevenson needs too much help? Complaints that Horgan wasn’t doing enough, Porteous wasn’t doing enough and that we should have an additional centre half playing.

I’m sure Stevenson is the type of boy that’ll take more responsibility than the excuses given for him on here. That might even be why he was far more effective in the 2nd half.

I think it's just the case that our favoured system these days appears to involve 3 centre-halves, which allows the full-backs to play further forward with the luxury of knowing someone (in Lewis's case, Hanlon) is covering behind them. But even in a back four, Hanlon would naturally drift across to help out Stevenson when he's in bother. At one point in the first half, LS passed the ball back to Bogdan and he could only kick it out the park due to the pressure on him. Lewis seemed to berate Ryan for not offering himself as an option.

You're right though, in the second half we didn't get caught out down that wing and any danger seemed to come from Jones on the other side. That may well have been down to Lewis just being more alive to making sure he was in position when they had the ball.

superfurryhibby
16-09-2018, 07:34 AM
I would give Killie some credit for making it a decent game. It was quite refreshing to see a side that didn’t take the fouling by rotation approach. They were decent, although they sat back and defended for much of the second half, until we got in front again.

Ronniekirk
16-09-2018, 07:58 AM
Good summary johnny boy although I think the criticism for Livi display was to be expected and Lennon said it was the worst display in his time in charge back in the Top League
Agree Hyndman doesn't look like he is going to make himself a First Team regular ,which begs the question why not give Sylivka more game time .Think both could be away in January if we can identify someone better to

Smartie
16-09-2018, 08:01 AM
I would give Killie some credit for making it a decent game. It was quite refreshing to see a side that didn’t take the fouling by rotation approach. They were decent, although they sat back and defended for much of the second half, until we got in front again.

I agree, particularly in relation to our left side.

Burke is a good player who is on top form right now - Lewis has managed to subdue better players than him in the past. He put some great challenges in during the first half, didn't give him a sniff during the second and I can only think of a couple of times when he might have done better. It just happened that (along with Whittaker) we were punished heavily on those occasions.

Smartie
16-09-2018, 08:05 AM
Good summary johnny boy although I think the criticism for Livi display was to be expected and Lennon said it was the worst display in his time in charge back in the Top League
Agree Hyndman doesn't look like he is going to make himself a First Team regular ,which begs the question why not give Sylivka more game time .Think both could be away in January if we can identify someone better to

I thought Hyndman had shown enough in flashes to deserve an opportunity, but he didn't take it, he was poor.

Slivka has put in some good performances when selected in his best position, and I think he gets up and down the park better than our other current midfielders.

He does deserve another chance.

NAE NOOKIE
16-09-2018, 12:07 PM
First of all I thought it was a very entertaining game of football and I have to say I thought Killie moved the ball as well as any team I've seen at ER for some time, though in all honesty we did a decent job of keeping them at arms length with them scoring from only about 4 clear cut chances their decent play managed to create.

There's no doubt that we are suffering from an inability to put a settled team on the park due to a number of factors … I still feel there's far more to come from us once we can put a settled first choice team out.

Bogdan …. 6 ….. No chance with either goal, Stewart's finish for the 2nd was sublime, but apart from that he commanded his area pretty well and made a couple of decent saves.

Gray …. 7 …. A captain's performance and a nostalgia inducing goal :not worth

Ambrose …. 7 ….. Cool as you like for the whole 90 minutes and covered really well on a couple of occasions … as JB says it summed up Efe in a nutshell when he glided past three players with effortless ease and then overhit a simple pass at the end of it … gotta love the big man :greengrin

Porteous … 6 …. His usual combative style, but played a couple of passes under little pressure which could have put us in a whole load of trouble, definitely didn't look as comfortable where he was asked to play, but hey ho, for a young kid he has had a brilliant start to his Hibs career.

Stevenson … 6 …. Caught out a couple of times, but if he was at fault for the 2nd goal I would still be asking the question how was Stewart allowed so much leeway at the edge of our 18 yard box? …. made a couple of brilliant blocks to stop a cross being played in at one point in the first half.

Whittaker …. 6 …. In the first half he was probably our best player for half an hour, he made a real contribution and cleared up more than one dangerous situation, but just near to the half time whistle he made a daft decision which lost us the ball and nearly ended up in a goal .. didn't contribute nearly as much between that and being subbed.

Mallan …. 7 …. Neat and tidy in everything he did and what a free kick, though he clearly is never going to be a tough tackler in midfield …. its almost getting to the stage where a Hibs free kick within 25 yards is a better than 50/50 chance of a goal when he's on the park.

Hyndman …. 5 ….. Contributed very little and IMO if Boyle hadn't been injured he would have been hooked at half time, its a concern ( to me at least ) that the alternative IE Slivka doesn't seem to offer a great deal more than Hyndman does …. perhaps folk wont agree with that, but Neil Lennon certainly appears to.

Horgan …. 6 ….. Drifted in and out of the game, but tried hard to make an impression, I thought Killie did a decent job of keeping the ball away from him.

Boyle …. 6 …. Looked up for it at the start, but clearly hampered by his injury from the challenge that won us the free kick Mallan scored from.

Kamberi …. 6 …. Looked out of touch and isolated for much of the game, I'm wondering about the nature of the injury which kept him out because he just doesn't look like the ball of energy he was last season, he certainly seemed to perk up when McLaren came on and stuck away his penalty perfectly.

SUBS:

Agyepong …. 7 ….. Made a real difference when he came on making life difficult for Killie at every opportunity, if he plays like that every week it will be difficult to leave him out, a bums off seats kinda' guy.

McLaren …. 6 ….. Buzzed about as usual and made the penalty award with his clever movement.

Milligan …. 5 …. Did fine when he came on and certainly seems to have a presence about him, perhaps the one thing this team lacks.

The ref …. Did ok I suppose, but baffled me at least when he gave foot up against a Hibs player in the 2nd half when the Killie players attempt to head the ball was practically below waist height.

Killie …. A refreshing approach to the game which contributed to how entertaining it was, their style doesn't reflect the misery guts their manager appears to be … I was impressed by Stewart and he deserved his goal, which green glasses off was an f'ing beauty.

JohnMcM
16-09-2018, 02:37 PM
Thanks again JB. I missed this one (again). Your summaries are something I always look for. It's good to have what appears to be a balanced summary that doesn't over-attack our players when they have a less than good game.
:flag:

Jonnyboy
16-09-2018, 08:59 PM

Agreed, Ronnie. It was the level of criticism some stooped too that irked me :aok:

Hi Heid Yin
16-09-2018, 10:16 PM
A great and accurate write up Jonnyboy.
I too thought that Hyndman had another poor game. I have yet to be convinced that he is a first-team starter.
I can only trust in Neil Lennon seeing something in him on the training ground to warrant a start.

Eyrie
17-09-2018, 09:03 AM
A great and accurate write up Jonnyboy.
I too thought that Hyndman had another poor game. I have yet to be convinced that he is a first-team starter.
I can only trust in Neil Lennon seeing something in him on the training ground to warrant a start.

Let's hope that he is earning his starts in training and not because his loan deal means that he effectively has to start a certain number of games to avoid a sharp increase in how much we are paying for him.