PDA

View Full Version : Porteous

stoneyburn hibs
15-09-2018, 06:36 PM
Surprised that there hasn't been a thread about him.

Some player that we have. Plays way beyond his years and is comfortable with the ball at his feet.

bigwheel
15-09-2018, 06:38 PM
Actually thought it was his poorest game for a while...didn’t dominate and let his man get the better of him.

Agree he Is a top talent though, but today wasn’t one of his best...

greenlex
15-09-2018, 06:39 PM
Twice he waltzed up into midfield and twice he gave the ball,away and was miles out of poition. He tends to get a wee bit too tight to quicker attackers for my liking but will learn. Cracking prospect. I like him a lot.

hibee_girl
15-09-2018, 06:39 PM
He will be our next big million pound player however he didn't have his best game today.

staunchhibby
15-09-2018, 06:43 PM
Thought his passing was woeful today.

Borderhibbie76
15-09-2018, 06:45 PM
Actually thought it was his poorest game for a while...didn’t dominate and let his man get the better of him.

Agree he Is a top talent though, but today wasn’t one of his best...Agreed great player and prospect but his poorest performance of season today imo

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

dp00
15-09-2018, 06:47 PM
He certainly let his team mates know about it when they were sitting back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bingo70
15-09-2018, 06:47 PM
He mentioned in an interview recently that Efe isn’t the sort of defender that talks during the games, he never meant it in a critical way however it was something that I thought was a bit strange.

Although Efe clearly can’t be blamed for Porteous poor distribution today I wonder if he maybe just never felt as comfortable playing in a central two with him.

Saying that though, he had a really good second half and had another absolute belter if a sliding tackle towards the end. Boy loves a tackle.

RoYO!
15-09-2018, 06:48 PM
Thread back-fire! :)

Yes on track to be excellent. Great to see a player from the development team really start to cement their place. All be it with injuries to the team.

cleanyman
15-09-2018, 06:50 PM
He was below par today.

Zazu62
15-09-2018, 06:52 PM
Don’t fancy Efe and Porto as a back 2 together. Hanlon and Daz for me

dp00
15-09-2018, 07:00 PM
I’d keep him the side tho , you only need to look at McKenna and Soutar to see what happens when you give players a chance .. he will get better with every game

Earlydelivery
15-09-2018, 07:03 PM
Not his best game .... but never hid once .

Brooster
15-09-2018, 07:05 PM
Should play every week. Tough tackling defender.

RoscoHibby
15-09-2018, 07:11 PM
Laddies going to be a star. Did give it away 2-3 times in silly places which luckily didnt hurt us today, but other than that was imperious as usual. Still cant believe he's only 19, absolute beast of a boy!!

lord bunberry
15-09-2018, 07:11 PM
He’s absolutely solid. He’s like a mini Daz, you can see the influence McGregor has had on him in the way he plays and in the way he talks. He’ll go on to be a top defender at a high level.

wookie70
15-09-2018, 07:13 PM
I think he is going to be a great player but I would still have McGregor in before Ryan. He was very poor today giving the ball away in dangerous positions and although it is great to see full blooded tackles he will get red carded at some point due to the ferocity he goes in. Still learning and has the potential to go a long way but we have some very good centre halves and I see him as playing when they are not fit.

Onion
15-09-2018, 07:20 PM
Not his best game today. Great talent but neesd to keep it simple.

Comiston Hibee
15-09-2018, 07:27 PM
He is such a prospect; loves the club and the gaffer; and he is a really decent grounded boy.
Future captain that you could build a team around.

And no, I’m not him or family, but met him recently at an event where he could have let his hair down; was on the water the whole time

Top bloke and a Winner

Hiber-nation
15-09-2018, 07:30 PM
Struggled a bit with distribution because he was playing left side. Apart from that he was excellent in the 2nd half.

maturehibby
15-09-2018, 07:51 PM
Outmuscled Boyd too late on
Did his confidence a lot of good to do that to the Fat man

calumhibee1
15-09-2018, 07:54 PM
He’s going to be a cracking player but thought he was pretty poor today to be honest.

Efe on the other hand was superb.

Famous Fiver
15-09-2018, 08:06 PM
He reminds me so much of John MacNamee.

Fabulous guy to have in your team.

Got two Under 21 caps last week and he is only 19.

He has a great future.

Nakedmanoncrack
15-09-2018, 08:14 PM
He's still learning, and I've no doubt has the ability to be a star - however that performance today, and some of the mistakes he made would have had people howling if committed by Whittaker for example!

California-Hibs
15-09-2018, 09:04 PM

Yeah agree with this. Good player but not his greatest performance today

hibsdaft
15-09-2018, 10:19 PM
As others have said he is a real prospect. A little reckless at times, particularly today. Something he'll be able to work on. I would maybe give him a spell out of the team when McGregor is fit, for his own good. I would expect him to be a first choice with Hanlon by early next season.

Onceinawhile
15-09-2018, 10:34 PM
Probably bears worth repeating that he's 19. He doesn't look it and he doesn't play like it, but 19!!

He's a good spfl centre back at the moment, but for his age, he's an outstanding prospect.

Mr Grieves
15-09-2018, 11:46 PM
Ryan is some player, but the way he throws himself into tackles, I can see him getting ****ed by the refs

B.H.F.C
15-09-2018, 11:52 PM
Must have over 20 appearances for us already. Also played a full season at Edinburgh City. That’s not bad going for someone of his age and shows he has a real chance.

SeanWilson
15-09-2018, 11:52 PM
Twice he waltzed up into midfield and twice he gave the ball,away and was miles out of poition. He tends to get a wee bit too tight to quicker attackers for my liking but will learn. Cracking prospect. I like him a lot.

My thoughts exactly. He looked world class at one point, getting to halfway, beating 3 or 4 then playing an awful pass. Still, does the basics well and love to see him doing well.

Pretty Boy
16-09-2018, 06:41 AM
Probably bears worth repeating that he's 19. He doesn't look it and he doesn't play like it, but 19!!

He's a good spfl centre back at the moment, but for his age, he's an outstanding prospect.

I think that's what I sometimes forget because he's so good. I was moaning about him ball watching at the 1st goal as he got dragged into the wrong area twice in the build up. Then I remembered he's a young lad and has barely put a foot wrong for us; James McPake done the same 5 times a game in his late 20s and became something of a cult hero.

He's going to be a star and it's good now that Daz is fit that Lennon can give him a wee rest as and when he needs it.

Ronniekirk
16-09-2018, 07:30 AM
He has it all in his locker Still learning his Trade though But I think it's clear he is going to go on and become a Future Hibs Captain and play his waynintonFull Scotland set up eventually
Can't praise the Laddie more than that

Yep playing alongside Effe seemed to make him replicate some Efffie moments .But he can only imptove with more First Team Experience . With Daz and Hanlon both injured already this Season ,he has had more game time than he would of expected this early in the Season .
The jury may still be out on how good Ollie can be ,But Ryan is The Real Deal
I know he is on a Long Term contract but probably not on great money Think he deserves new improved Contract We need to look after our own

allezsauzee
16-09-2018, 07:41 AM
I think Porteous has a great future in front of him if he has luck with injuries and applies himself the right way. However I do think people are getting a bit ahead of themselves with their expectations of the laddie. Daz, Efe and Paul are experienced centre backs and should still be in the team before him with Ryan filling in for injuries and suspension. He probably still likely to get 25-30 games anyway which is probably plenty for him while he is developing without being subjected to the pressure of being a mainstay of the team.

eastcoasthibby
16-09-2018, 08:14 AM
I think he is going to be a great player but I would still have McGregor in before Ryan. He was very poor today giving the ball away in dangerous positions and although it is great to see full blooded tackles he will get red carded at some point due to the ferocity he goes in. Still learning and has the potential to go a long way but we have some very good centre halves and I see him as playing when they are not fit.
Very poor today !!! Really ??? In terms of 3 missed placed passes and a couple of out of position situations, the rest of what was a busy game for him and Ambrose he did his job very well, particularly as 19 year old playing on his weaker left side of a new centre half pairing .....if making 4-5 errors in a game constitutes very poor ...we had lots of ver poor performances today and every game ...apologies for picking out this comment, but just feel its ridiculously harsh ....

Smartie
16-09-2018, 08:21 AM

He's ridiculously advanced for that age.

I often think that more than any other position centre halves have to learn from experience, and they're not often big enough to be chucked in young and thrive.

He's doing very well for us so far.

It will have helped him that Efe was as focused as he was yesterday.

JimBHibees
16-09-2018, 08:23 AM
I think that's what I sometimes forget because he's so good. I was moaning about him ball watching at the 1st goal as he got dragged into the wrong area twice in the build up. Then I remembered he's a young lad and has barely put a foot wrong for us; James McPake done the same 5 times a game in his late 20s and became something of a cult hero.

He's going to be a star and it's good now that Daz is fit that Lennon can give him a wee rest as and when he needs it.

Good post certainly still learning the game and positioning a little suspect at left centre back however love his attitude and wholehearted approach.

Ozyhibby
16-09-2018, 08:34 AM
He will be our next big million pound player however he didn't have his best game today.

I think Mallan will be our next big sale. The goals and assists he is getting won’t be ignored for long.

hfc rd
16-09-2018, 11:19 AM

This.

Porteous has great potential and is the perfect long term replacement for McGregor but yesterday was one of his poorest games I’ve seen. Really struggled against both Brophy & Stewart.

However it’s a learning curve for him. Still a very good defender.

16-09-2018, 12:03 PM
Didn't have his best game yesterday but he is still a young laddie and learning. If he keeps his head down and works hard then he will go really far IMO. He seems to have a good attitude about him, important he doesn't get carried away though as so many other young ones have.

I watched the development team quite a few times last season and it was clear to see that he stood out.

matty_f
16-09-2018, 12:08 PM
He's a real prospect and has a great chance of achieving big things in the game with a bit of luck and hard graft.

He'll improve with experience as well, if we keep him until his mid-twenties we'll have done well. It won't be long until bigger clubs come calling for him.

theonlywayisup
16-09-2018, 12:30 PM
Another week, another Porteous post match thread.

Maybe the Admins should consider doing what seemed apparent on the Villa forum where they seem to merge all such threads into one. For example, the Hutton thread I read started when he joined Villa in 2011 and is still going strong today.

The boy is class, but don't see why we need to start a thread every week. As some have already stated, I don't think he's been his best the last two games.

EH54
16-09-2018, 02:23 PM
I'll get hammered for this but I honestly think he's massively overrated, and I don't mean he's poor he's just not as good atm as everyone would like to think although potential is there..wouldn't be this hype if he never came through the youth system. He is strong in the tackle, and good in the air. But he needs to learn his limits and realise he doesn't need to try nick it off the attacker everytime, at least once in every game he's diving in and getting turned..and I really don't want to see him stepping into midfield.

overdrive
16-09-2018, 03:11 PM
I'll get hammered for this but I honestly think he's massively overrated, and I don't mean he's poor he's just not as good atm as everyone would like to think although potential is there..wouldn't be this hype if he never came through the youth system. He is strong in the tackle, and good in the air. But he needs to learn his limits and realise he doesn't need to try nick it off the attacker everytime, at least once in every game he's diving in and getting turned..and I really don't want to see him stepping into midfield.

I would agree with this. He’ll learn to cut this out with experience though.

patlowe
16-09-2018, 03:55 PM

I think he has the ability to step out and play, he's just a bit rash at this stage of his career. I don't think he's overrated at all personally, I think most have recognised he is making some mistakes but are also excited as he has all the attributes to be top class in time and with the experience he is picking up.

Eyrie
16-09-2018, 04:21 PM

He's also nineteen years old.

You've highlighted that he already has the tools, so he has plenty of time to learn to recognise situations and what the appropriate response is.

16-09-2018, 04:28 PM

I think that's unfair to say he's over rated. He's certainly got a lot to learn but he's only 19, of course he's not going to be the finished article yet. You don't want to heap pressure on him by hyping him up too much as "the next big thing" but it's clear to see he has the potential to go far if he works hard, keeps injury free etc.

MyJo
16-09-2018, 04:53 PM
Had a couple of slack passes and caught out a few times yesterday which was frustrating but then I remembered he’s just a kid and these things will happen while he is learning and developing but he’s going to be a top player in 3/4 years.

CMurdoch
16-09-2018, 09:32 PM
He has done the hardest thing for all players of bridging the gap between development player to first team player.
I would give him a rest now and get the real deal McGregor back in.

Efe's contract is up in the summer and McGregor is beginning to have age related knee injuries.
Think Porteous will be the man alongside Hanlon possibly as soon as next season.

He is developing brilliantly but folk have to cut him a bit of slack.

The_Horde
16-09-2018, 10:01 PM
After the winning goal him, bogdan efe and milligan were absolutely imperious.

Viva_Palmeiras
17-09-2018, 02:26 AM

What if Lennon does?
A number of threads on various players getting pulled up for trying things (e.g Efe, American dude) you don’t try things (that may/may not come off) you don’t learn or explore the possibilities. That pass that no one latched on to might actually have been poor execution on the receivers part.

blackpoolhibs
17-09-2018, 06:46 AM
Unless we start having players who never make a mistake, we will always have games where we lose goals, misplace passes and have players who give an up and down performance.

It appears now though, that whenever a player has a slight dip in form for a single game, he needs a rest or dropped for someone who's suddenly got better by being on the bench or been out injured and probably not back to full match fitness.

Losing a goal now has become almost a criminal offence to some of our support, and whoever has been deemed responsible needs dropped and sometimes shot. :wink:

Sometimes goals we concede are great strikes, or well worked, not every goal we lose has to be such a bloody drama.

EH54
17-09-2018, 10:05 AM
What if Lennon does?
A number of threads on various players getting pulled up for trying things (e.g Efe, American dude) you don’t try things (that may/may not come off) you don’t learn or explore the possibilities. That pass that no one latched on to might actually have been poor execution on the receivers part.

When playing 4 at the back in particular there is 2 players I don't want to see 'trying stuff' and that's the two centre backs. Just do your job, win the ball and move it on. When playing 3 you can afford one stepping into the midfield..but for me Porteous is similar to Mcgregor Hanlon and efe are capable of stepping into midfield Porteous is better sticking to the defending side of the game for me.

SirDavidsNapper
17-09-2018, 10:09 AM
Think the lad has a big future in the game. Looks extremely comfortable at Scotland under 21 and Premiership level. He'll have a lot of clubs monitoring his progress closely.

bingo70
17-09-2018, 02:23 PM
Unless we start having players who never make a mistake, we will always have games where we lose goals, misplace passes and have players who give an up and down performance.

It appears now though, that whenever a player has a slight dip in form for a single game, he needs a rest or dropped for someone who's suddenly got better by being on the bench or been out injured and probably not back to full match fitness.

Losing a goal now has become almost a criminal offence to some of our support, and whoever has been deemed responsible needs dropped and sometimes shot. :wink:

Sometimes goals we concede are great strikes, or well worked, not every goal we lose has to be such a bloody drama.

Totally agree.

I think it probably stems from Sky Sports over analysis of every incident and their need to find blame for every goal.

Porteous made a few slack passes in the first half but in hindsight, so what? The slack passes he made were in the right area when we had plenty cover or they were made further up the park. The level of scrutiny players are under now is incredible, literally every single mistake is being noted down and brought up on places like this. He is a young guy still adjusting to first team football and i think he had 2, possibly 3 miss-placed passes but other than that he was pretty solid throughout.

I think we appear to be chasing perfection and failure to deliver that should result in him being dropped or rested?

Fwiw looking back, i am as guilty as anyone for that and i remember saying on Saturday maybe he should be rested however with the benefit of hindsight and after having a couple of days to think about it I think i was being pretty harsh.

JimBHibees
17-09-2018, 02:32 PM
After the winning goal him, bogdan efe and milligan were absolutely imperious.

Except for when Efe should have given away a penalty.

sarfoftheborder
17-09-2018, 03:02 PM
Just been announced that he has been voted Player of the Month by the supporters. Yes, I'm a big fan of Ryan and yes I voted for him.

Wilson
17-09-2018, 03:30 PM
Just been announced that he has been voted Player of the Month by the supporters. Yes, I'm a big fan of Ryan and yes I voted for him.

Overrated.

Eyrie
17-09-2018, 06:54 PM
Except for when Efe should have given away a penalty.

Kicking an opponent isn't an offence in Scotland (see Morelos, McGregor).

Future17
29-09-2018, 09:02 PM
Thought he was very good again today. He was caught out of position a couple of times but recovered well.

I'm also confident he'd run through walls for the jersey and that endears him to me.

Allant1981
29-09-2018, 09:06 PM
still needs to learn not to dive in, that will come with more games and learning though, has the potential to be a very good CH

H18 SFR
29-09-2018, 10:42 PM
Thought he was very good again today. He was caught out of position a couple of times but recovered well.

I'm also confident he'd run through walls for the jersey and that endears him to me.

Felt Milligan saved his bacon a few times by slotting in when Ryan ran into midfield to try and nick the ball.

eastmainsmsh
29-09-2018, 11:49 PM
Better player than McKenna