Eyrie
15-09-2018, 04:56 PM
Whittaker had a decent game today.

But I'd like to see more of Milligan.

04Sauzee
15-09-2018, 04:58 PM

Whittaker will never please somw people unfortunately. I was surprised to see him going off I thought he was more than decent today.

HappyAsHellas
15-09-2018, 05:08 PM
Whittaker was one of the best players in the first half, but goes against the grain for most on here for some reason. Some muppets behind me were shouting about how crap he was before the game started. I think he maybe got taken off because he had put in a fair shift.

The_Horde
15-09-2018, 05:08 PM
Whittaker was one of the best players in the first half, but goes against the grain for most on here for some reason. Some muppets behind me were shouting about how crap he was before the game started. I think he maybe got taken off because he had put in a fair shift.

Beaten far too easily for both their goals though.

BegbieHSC
15-09-2018, 05:09 PM

Whittaker was our best player in the first half hour of the game, but diabolical the rest unfortunately.

Onion
15-09-2018, 05:11 PM

Whitty is decent 70% of the time. The problem is the other 30% where he tries to be a creative/clever ball player, loses possession which immediately puts the back 4 under pressure. Saw that a couple of times today, which almost cost us. I expect Milligan will know his strengths and limits and stick to that.

SouthMoroccoStu
15-09-2018, 05:12 PM
Whittaker put in a great shift today. Same as against Aberdeen

But the team from 20 minutes to go should be our starting line up

Milligan gave us the steal we missed in the first half

hibee_girl
15-09-2018, 05:13 PM
Whittaker had a good game today imo

Milligan looks like he loves a tackle and will be a good organiser. He was talking to Mallan from the second he was on the pitch

Smartie
15-09-2018, 05:19 PM
Whittaker had a very good game but was at fault at the equaliser (I can't recall what he did wrong at the first goal).

The game changed thanks to McLaren more than Milligan.

We had a good few players who played quite a lot worse than Whittaker today. I didn't think there were many better - probably only Ambrose, Mallan and Gray of the starters.

bingo70
15-09-2018, 05:20 PM
I don’t think Whittaker is anywhere near as bad as some make out but I’m also not convinced he’s the answer there long term this season so I’ll be quite happy if Milligan can come in and take his place.

I thought he was playing quite well today but then had a few brain fart moments which seemed to give the boo boys what they were after.

Overall I think SW is a decent enough squad players which is why he was brought in, Milligan will hopefully be an improvement on him though.

One thing I would say about Whittaker though is that contrary to the expert opinion of some on here, his legs haven’t gone.

staunchhibby
15-09-2018, 05:24 PM
Thought hogdan was partly to blame for 1st killie goal

Allant1981
15-09-2018, 05:25 PM
Thought hogdan was partly to blame for 1st killie goal

nah dont you know it was all whittakers fault!

green day
15-09-2018, 05:26 PM
I don’t think Whittaker is anywhere near as bad as some make out but I’m also not convinced he’s the answer there long term this season so I’ll be quite happy if Milligan can come in and take his place.

I thought he was playing quite well today but then had a few brain fart moments which seemed to give the boo boys what they were after.

Overall I think SW is a decent enough squad players which is why he was brought in, Milligan will hopefully be an improvement on him though.

One thing I would say about Whittaker though is that contrary to the expert opinion of some on here, his legs haven’t gone.

Yep, he played well first half - unfortunately he had a hand in both of their goals. Part of that is because he was doing all the dirty work - no help from Hyndman.

Milligan looked good, might help Whitty

madhatter
15-09-2018, 05:34 PM
Midfield of Whittaker, Mallan and Hyndman won't work in a lot of games. Whittaker was the best out of the 3 in the first half. Mallan scored the free-kick but did very little other than that. Think Milligan won more challenges than Mallan and Hyndman combined in the time he was on.

We need more players that take pride in solid tackling. Whittaker is one of those even if he isn't quite the same player now.

brianmc
15-09-2018, 05:37 PM
I thought that was Whittaker's best game since he returned - make of that what you like :)

hibbydog
I thought Whittaker was excellent in the first half but faded before he was subbed. Early impressions of Milligan are encouraging.

Also lots of sense being stated in this thread about people choosing to give Whittaker abuse. Mostly before a ball has even been kicked.

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion, but I’d prefer if they kept ther negative bile and abuse to themselves and give our players the support they deserve.

Diclonius
Looked good.

SirDavidsNapper
15-09-2018, 05:43 PM
Think he'll become an excellent signing

Ozyhibby
15-09-2018, 05:48 PM
What Whittaker does in possession is fine which is why some think he had a good game. The problem is that he is far too passive when we don’t have the ball. He lets runners get away from him and he doesn’t get touch tight when he should. When he plays, teams tend to be able to play right through us.
Hyndman was poor today as well but he gets some slack as he has just arrived.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neil7908
15-09-2018, 05:48 PM
Whitaker is not a terrible player. But he's spent his whole career as a right back and at 33 is now being turned into a defensive midfielder. And it shows.

I'm more than happy with Whitts in the squad as cover but I'm confident Milligan will give us something extra. The team looked so much more balanced with him and McLaren on.

Smartie
15-09-2018, 05:51 PM
What Whittaker does in possession is fine which is why some think he had a good game. The problem is that he is far too passive when we don’t have the ball. He lets runners get away from him and he doesn’t get touch tight when he should. When he plays, teams tend to be able to play right through us.

I think that's a reasonable criticism.

It tends to happen in pretty important areas too, and we lose goals as a result of it.

Carheenlea
15-09-2018, 05:54 PM
From his very first pass I knew we had a very talented player in Milligan. Think we will see him as regular starter and looking forward to seeing him play more as the season progresses.

AgentDaleCooper
15-09-2018, 07:47 PM
From his very first pass I knew we had a very talented player in Milligan. Think we will see him as regular starter and looking forward to seeing him play more as the season progresses.

he's very mobile and clearly likes a good tackle. from the moment he came on, i felt like it might be the start of something a wee bit special, and it might be a bit easier to forget the hole john mcginn left in our midfield :aok:

Hiber-nation
15-09-2018, 07:50 PM
I only recall a good pass, a great tackle and him getting caught out of position with Porteous having a wee word with him.

Might be just what we need, we shall see.

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-09-2018, 07:56 PM
He didn't look out of place and also I think he played his own style rather than looking to be a replacement for someone else.

BILLYHIBS
15-09-2018, 08:16 PM
That tackle on their midfield enforcer 50/50 was awesome must’ve registered on the Richter Scale Tasty!😁👍🏾

Ralphy C
15-09-2018, 08:46 PM
Whittaker was our best player in the first half hour of the game, but diabolical the rest unfortunately.

My thoughts exactly.:thumbsup:

Lancs Harp
15-09-2018, 08:51 PM
Whittys biggest problem for me is he is simply too slow. He's been a decent pro but hes well and truly past it for me. Just treated to the odd glimpse of former glories, the fat lady is singing for Whitty. He isnt the answer but a decent squad member until we find that answer.

WhileTheChief..
15-09-2018, 10:06 PM
Whole thread is pretty much about Whittaker!

Hard to say about Milligan. Didn’t have long, didn’t do much.

SON OF PADDY
15-09-2018, 11:34 PM

Whittaker was more than decent today !

AFKA5814_Hibs
16-09-2018, 12:45 AM
Once he's up to speed think he'll be a top notch signing. 👍

eastcoasthibby
16-09-2018, 08:35 AM
When Milligan came on we looked a lot more competitive, he positioned himself well, read the game and made a couple of.good challenges, he was.organising and talking.to players around him, he looked like he gave us a presence in the middle and let others play ....yip all in 20 minutes ...he does look like he will give us a lot of what we need in midfield.

matty_f
16-09-2018, 08:46 AM
When Milligan came on we looked a lot more competitive, he positioned himself well, read the game and made a couple of.good challenges, he was.organising and talking.to players around him, he looked like he gave us a presence in the middle and let others play ....yip all in 20 minutes ...he does look like he will give us a lot of what we need in midfield.

He was very vocal and definitely looks like the sort of leader we need in the middle, not just because he shouts and that, but he got stuck in and tried to impose himself on the game.

Probably too little time to form a proper judgement, but the early signs are very encouraging, presumably he'll only get better as he gets games under his belt.

Thief
16-09-2018, 01:53 PM
Could be wrong but I think it was him that played a couple of lofted passes, one to Kamberi and the other picked up by McLaren, which lead to the pen.
Not something I’ve seen us doing for a long time and can be quite effective with the right players [emoji106]

My_Wife_Camille
17-09-2018, 12:40 AM
He was very vocal and definitely looks like the sort of leader we need in the middle, not just because he shouts and that, but he got stuck in and tried to impose himself on the game.

Probably too little time to form a proper judgement, but the early signs are very encouraging, presumably he'll only get better as he gets games under his belt.
Far too early to judge but sometimes you get a feeling about a player and I have a good feeling about Milligan!

Edinburgh Green
17-09-2018, 09:49 AM

Yip, that's how I see it. thought he had a good game, just like the Aberdeen game, however both him and Mallan like to stand off their man and jockey him instead of putting a foot in.

Another poster has said his legs haven't gone. I disagree, and this is evident in how easy it is to beat him when someone drops a shoulder (see Killies 2nd, among others)

Smartie
17-09-2018, 10:55 AM
Far too early to judge but sometimes you get a feeling about a player and I have a good feeling about Milligan!

I have a better feeling about him having seen him.

To be honest though, I was very concerned about the level of expectation he'd come under. The last time we heaped expectation on a marquee signing in his thirties it was Ed De Graaf, and I thought that this transfer had all the signs of being the same.

Smartie
17-09-2018, 10:59 AM
Yip, that's how I see it. thought he had a good game, just like the Aberdeen game, however both him and Mallan like to stand off their man and jockey him instead of putting a foot in.

Another poster has said his legs haven't gone. I disagree, and this is evident in how easy it is to beat him when someone drops a shoulder (see Killies 2nd, among others)

It depends on the definition of "legs have gone".

I agree that he is vulnerable to a wee change of pace.

What did impress me though was that time he got in a fankle on the edge of the Killie box from our corner, then they hit us quite quickly on the break. I watched the break unfold and looked back up the park expecting him to be lumbering back over the halfway line - he'd got back to his feet and got the full length of the pitch to defend the breakaway.

He's not as fast as he was, but he can still get about the park.

It would be ok if it was just him or Mallan - the problem we have in midfield is that too many of our players have the same Achilles heel.

Hopefully (and I fully expect) Milligan will rectify that.