PDA

View Full Version : The penalty

Diclonius
15-09-2018, 04:27 PM
From the West Upper South that looked like a dive from Maclaren. BBC saying nothing but Clarke raging.

bingo70
15-09-2018, 04:29 PM
From the West Upper South that looked like a dive from Maclaren. BBC saying nothing but Clarke raging.

Wasn’t a dive but I don’t think it was a penalty.

I can see why the ref gave it but I’d be annoyed if it was given against hibs.

AgentDaleCooper
15-09-2018, 04:30 PM
Soft penalty, but nice to have a bad decision go our way :aok:

Squirrel 1875
It absolutely was a penalty, smart from Maclaren to play for it. Very naive from the Killie lad.

Pretty Boy
I'm in the FF Upper and looked like the defender stepped on his ankle. Was it enough to make him go down? I'm not sure. Would the ref have awarded a penalty with the same contact if he'd stayed up? No chance.

If refs don't start penalising fouls when the attacking player shows a bit honesty then players will continue to 'make sure'.

From where I was sitting it was a penalty all day regardless of any perceived theatrics.

howdenthehibby
Stonewaller all day long.

ronaldo7
15-09-2018, 04:34 PM
From where we were sitting in the east, everyone around us saying, never a penalty.

California-Hibs
15-09-2018, 04:36 PM
Saw it a few times on Hibs TV, McLaren starts running to retrieve the ball, Broadfoot gets his feet tangled/clips McLaren. Its 100% spot on a penalty

Bobby's Cinema
15-09-2018, 04:36 PM
Looked to me like defender was favourite and JM left his leg in hoping to get something and did.

Onceinawhile
15-09-2018, 04:37 PM
Thought it was from ff lower, most agreed. Was maybe a little soft but as said above, if he doesn't go down, he's never getting it.

Eyrie
15-09-2018, 04:38 PM
Wrong end of the pitch for me, but it looked soft and my initial reaction was that is was a response to Clarke's comments about the rigged appeals process.

Not complaining though after Clancy shafted us with the penalty at Rugby Park last season. Maybe these things do even themselves up.

HappyAsHellas
15-09-2018, 04:40 PM
From the singing section it was a desperate attempt from Jamie which luckily fooled the referee. Delighted we got it though.

Lancs Harp
15-09-2018, 04:41 PM
Wasnt at the match but it looked a clear penalty from Lytham St Annes.:wink::greengrin

matty_f
15-09-2018, 04:41 PM
I couldn't tell one way or the other so I'll say it was a definite penalty.

Hibernia&Alba
15-09-2018, 04:43 PM
My initital reaction was a soft yin, but would need to see it properly.

Oscar T Grouch
15-09-2018, 04:44 PM
I sit near the front in Section 38, from there it was a clear pen, defender caught MacLaren on the ankle.

bingo70
15-09-2018, 04:45 PM
My feeling at the time was it was really soft and not a pen but the more I think about it, there was definitely contact on him so I’m not sure why I didn’t think it was one?

I can’t wait to see it again but from what I remember it looked like Maclaren tried to tackle him and there was a tangle of legs.

04Sauzee
15-09-2018, 04:46 PM
Was Clark raging with the Penalty they got at Rugby Park last season? Shame

O'Rourke3
15-09-2018, 04:48 PM
Soft. Watching the game via Hibs TV and via replays there is a decent shout for one.

For once, we weren't actually shouting. Well struck by Flo.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Peevemor
15-09-2018, 04:48 PM
Watched on Hibs TV. At first I didn't understand the penalty award, but on the replay the defender clearly kicks McLaren's ankle before the ball. Spot on from the referee.

Hibernia&Alba
15-09-2018, 04:50 PM
Watched on Hibs TV. At first I didn't understand the penalty award, but on the replay the defender clearly kicks McLaren's ankle before the ball. Spot on from the referee.

That'll dae for me :aok:

HFC_NYC
15-09-2018, 04:53 PM
Very soft, but it’s about time we got one.

HappyAsHellas
15-09-2018, 04:54 PM
Jamie gave the fans behind the goal a thumbs up sign with his right hand at hip level and on the officials blind side - thought it was a bit curious at the time and seemed to say it wasn't as stonewall as some on here are saying.

green day
15-09-2018, 04:59 PM

Clarke interview - soft free kick for Mallan goal, second underserved, penalty wasn't one and Ambrose kicked broadfoot at the end.

Hes a fanny

weecounty hibby
15-09-2018, 05:00 PM
I'm in FF upper and that is a penalty every day of the week. Jamie got to the ball first and the defender caught is foot as he was about to take the ball on. Clarke is a moaning faced ******* and as much as he was right about the SFA he never has a good word to say about any opposition.

Scouse Hibee
15-09-2018, 05:03 PM
Soft penalty and Efe was lucky as he clearly fouled at the end. That’s football though, some you get some you don’t.

green day
15-09-2018, 05:05 PM
Soft penalty and Efe was lucky as he clearly fouled at the end. That’s football though, some you get some you don’t.

Think so?

Right in front of us from the upper and I thought it was 6 and half a dozen.

The_Horde
15-09-2018, 05:07 PM
Seen the replays of it. 100% a pen for me, certified by Broadfoots attempted dive straight after. He knew he'd forked up.

The_Horde
15-09-2018, 05:07 PM
Think so?

I thought it looked worse than it actually was due to the killie boys reaction.

hibsmad
15-09-2018, 05:19 PM
Not sure if it should have been given or not.

One thing I do know is that Flo can’t half hit a pen!!!

Remember watching Tommy McIntyre slotting plenty away when I was a kid but Kamberi’s are unstoppable!

staunchhibby
15-09-2018, 05:28 PM
Looked a penalty to me.Broadfoot clipped mc larens heels.

Just Jimmy
15-09-2018, 05:31 PM
didn't see it but I hope it was a crap decision and I hope they feel bumped because we got robbed in Kilmarnock last season.

these decisions even themselves out over the season... so they say.

glory glory!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

tamig
15-09-2018, 05:33 PM
I'm in the FF Upper and looked like the defender stepped on his ankle. Was it enough to make him go down? I'm not sure. Would the ref have awarded a penalty with the same contact if he'd stayed up? No chance.

If refs don't start penalising fouls when the attacking player shows a bit honesty then players will continue to 'make sure'.

From where I was sitting it was a penalty all day regardless of any perceived theatrics.
I’m in the FF lower and looked to me like the defender stood on the back of his heel. Definite pen imo.

G B Young
15-09-2018, 05:35 PM
As Lennon said afterwards it was clever from Maclaren and it looked to me like the referee made the right call.

tamig
15-09-2018, 05:37 PM
Clarke interview - soft free kick for Mallan goal, second underserved, penalty wasn't one and Ambrose kicked broadfoot at the end.

Hes a fanny

Clarke is always moaning whenever a result goes against him. I don’t think I’ve heard him compliment us once since he came back up here. Serial moaner.

SlickShoes
15-09-2018, 05:38 PM
I watched it on Hibs TV and it's a penalty 100% of the time. McLaren probably isnt getting to the ball first but he is infront of Broadfoot, so he puts his leg in front of the ball and broadfoot kicks it and clips his heel bringing him down, not coming close to touching the ball. It's just clumsy defending and smart forward play.

erin go bragh
15-09-2018, 05:40 PM
Right in front of me in the Ff lower . Clear pen which was expertly put away by Flo .

Hibbyradge
15-09-2018, 05:45 PM
Wasnt at the match but it looked a clear penalty from Lytham St Annes.:wink::greengrin

You obviously got a better view than me in Portugal.

I actually shouted "No way" when it was given! :hilarious

emerald green
15-09-2018, 05:46 PM
There have been plenty of times when Hibs have been denied blatant penalties. I think Beaton called it correct this time.

we are hibs
15-09-2018, 06:01 PM
Was directly in line with it and thought it was a pen. Just seen a video of it on Twitter and still think it was. He hacked at his ankle and caught him.

Mon Dieu4
15-09-2018, 06:10 PM
I was also directly in line with it and didn't think it was a pen, don't really care either, job done

Leith Green
15-09-2018, 06:16 PM
Makes up for the shanner they got against us last season. Cost us 2 points that were vital

hibby6270
15-09-2018, 06:18 PM
Need to see it again on the highlights. From West Upper, didn’t look like a pen. At worst it was very soft but hey, we should take anything that goes in our favour!! :wink::greengrin

judas
15-09-2018, 06:31 PM
Directly in line with it in the west upper. Never a penalty.

We were all laughing such was the absurdity of it

Danderhall Hibs
15-09-2018, 06:33 PM
Makes up for the shanner they got against us last season. Cost us 2 points that were vital

It all evens itself out.

greenlex
15-09-2018, 06:36 PM

Hes a fanny
He also thought they were on top the first 20 mins. The guys clearly a steamer.

cleanyman
15-09-2018, 06:53 PM
Soft I thought.

Very soft.

SouthMoroccoStu
15-09-2018, 06:56 PM

Hes a fanny

But the 2-2 at Killie last season was justified

But both Lennon and Clarke are victims of sfa justice

Good one Stevie

hibbytam
15-09-2018, 06:57 PM
Soft I thought.

Very soft.

From behind the goals, I thought it was a penalty. Will have to see it again, but it looks like McLaren has got to the ball first, then there's a challenge by the Killie defender. Looked more clumsy than deliberate, but until TV proves otherwise, i'll say it's a penalty.

RyeSloan
15-09-2018, 07:02 PM

I agree with him. Thought they were pretty unlucky to find themselves two nil down..two set plays while they had controlled most of the ball to that point.

Anyhoo nice to get a win and fair enjoyed the game and the award of a soft pen to win it [emoji2]

green day
15-09-2018, 07:09 PM
Clarke is always moaning whenever a result goes against him. I don’t think I’ve heard him compliment us once since he came back up here. Serial moaner.

I know, for all people "hate" Lennon, he is always complimentary if a team deservedly paps us.

According to Clarke, last years pen for them was a stonewaller as well, there is a pattern !

tamig
15-09-2018, 07:19 PM

You must have fabulous eyesight.

tamig
15-09-2018, 07:20 PM
I know, for all people "hate" Lennon, he is always complimentary if a team deservedly paps us.

According to Clarke, last years pen for them was a stonewaller as well, there is a pattern !

Lets just call him a dick.

tamig
15-09-2018, 07:23 PM

That’s a fair statement from him. They were by far the better team at that point and we were very fortunate to be ahead - never mind by two goals.

Onion
15-09-2018, 07:24 PM
Thought is was a pen, JMcL was cute getting ti ball ahead of defender.

Strangely, had it been more obvious Beaton would not have given it. The narcissistic refs in Scotland enjoy giving pens when you least expect it and denying stone wallers. It keeps them in the spotlight.

bigwheel
15-09-2018, 07:29 PM
Thought it was a soft pen. Surprised the ref didn’t even it up with one of their calls....

Jeebsys strike
15-09-2018, 07:33 PM
Couldnt tell at the game but after getting home and watching it over it is a penalty all day long. Broadfoot didnt see jamie sneeking in and as he goes to clear it, jamie gets his leg infront of him and broadfoot catches his ankle.

Hiber-nation
15-09-2018, 07:35 PM

Directly in line with it in the East. Definite pen, everyone round me thought so as well.

RoscoHibby
15-09-2018, 07:42 PM
Was about 80yds away in the east. Stone Waller for me...!🇳🇬

hibee62
15-09-2018, 07:47 PM
IIRC we had a very similar one give for Broadfoot on Kamberi in the 5-3 game that the referee then changed his mind and gave a bounce ball. That’s that 1 back now, I’ll wait for the receipt on the Porteous handball.

IWasThere2016
15-09-2018, 07:50 PM
Looked a pen on Goal Express on SS

Lancs Harp
15-09-2018, 07:51 PM
Looked a pen on Goal Express on SS

Agreed

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-09-2018, 07:52 PM
Not seen it back but I didn't think that it was a penalty. But we will get those given against us before the season is over. I think that the Killie boss has points to make just now but every throw in not given or every foul given against them will of course be a conspiracy.

murray26
15-09-2018, 07:54 PM
It was a stonewaller and the ref agreed.. that’s all that matters..

Carheenlea
15-09-2018, 08:00 PM
We were in South so hard to tell, but we clearly saw Flo rifle home an exquisitely taken penalty kick :top marks

Jack Hackett
15-09-2018, 08:01 PM
Doesn't matter if it wisnae, soft, or 100%. The ref gave it, Kamberi put it away, and we won the game... that'll do for me :agree:

fwiw... 100% :greengrin

JXM73
15-09-2018, 08:03 PM
From the singing section it was a desperate attempt from Jamie which luckily fooled the referee. Delighted we got it though.

There was a singing section?

Hard to tell if a pen from far end of west

Nakedmanoncrack
15-09-2018, 08:10 PM
Lets just say it shouldn't have been a penalty, we were lucky, team is pish, absolute gash etc, and what's more - Hearts have got the league as good as sown up etc. :confused:

goosefat
15-09-2018, 08:11 PM
Think so?

I disagree.

From where I was sitting it looked like two threes and a six, but it's all about opinions I guess and I'll take the 4 points at the end of the day :big grin::big grin::big grin:

bigwheel
16-09-2018, 07:14 AM
From highlights on Hibs TV it looked as if McLaren catches the back of Broadfoots leg and goes down....lucky pen..however we have had many against us, so will take the little bit if luck...thought we edged the game anyway..Killie were poor in second half

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HibbyAndy
16-09-2018, 07:18 AM
Course it's a penalty.

Pretty Boy
16-09-2018, 07:18 AM
I couldn't tell one way or the other so I'll say it was a definite penalty.

With that kind of attitude you'll be on the FIFA refs list by next week.

Northernhibee
16-09-2018, 07:41 AM
Every bit a penalty. Catches his heels.

Mr_F
16-09-2018, 07:50 AM
Folk saying they had a clear view and it wasn’t a pen :faf:
Stop it :fishin:

Lancs Harp
16-09-2018, 07:54 AM
Rangers are appealing against the decision. The penalty kick is to be scrubbed from the records, Maclaren banned for 10 games for simulation with Lenny banned for 6 matches for good measure. Hibs ticket allocation for Ibrox is to be cut to 15 and the result of the game will be 3-0 to Rangers.

matty_f
16-09-2018, 07:57 AM
I've seen it again and it's definitely a penalty. Genuinely couldn't tell from my seat at the time off Jamie had got to the ball first or not but the replay clearly shows that Broadfoot catches him so the referee got it right.

eastcoasthibby
16-09-2018, 08:02 AM
Broadfoot goes in from behind McLaren to try and get.the ball doesn't get the ball and gets McLaren on the back of his foot ankle .....when you make a challenge like that in that position it means the ref has a decision to make and fortunately Beaton was very well positioned to see it and make it .....if it was at the other end Clarke would have had been happy with it......

Allant1981
16-09-2018, 08:05 AM
looked like broadfoot kicked maclarens heel at the time, not seen a replay yet but it definitely looked a pen at the time, was a bit surprised killie didnt get one at the end though

neil7908
16-09-2018, 08:46 AM
Watched on the Hibs TV and didnt think it was a penalty at first but the replays showed a good spot by the ref.

I only saw it live, no replays but I think Efe was lucky not to give one away in injury time. I was sure he had his foot high and took a Killie player out in the box after a corner.

Winston Ingram
16-09-2018, 09:11 AM
It’s a stonewaller

https://twitter.com/r11loading/status/1041007912297082888?s=21

green day
16-09-2018, 09:11 AM
Watched on Hibs TV, deffo pen.

Said yesterday and not changed my mind - I dont believe that the one at the end was a pen, although I am sure analysis by M Stewart and S Thomson will show I am wrong later :greengrin

GreenOnions
16-09-2018, 10:07 AM
Much as I like how Clarke sets up his teams he's becoming one of those managers whose views on a match are so ridiculously blinkered that they are almost not worth listening to.

Whether we've won or lost Lennon will quite often praise the opposition or admit that there were things we didn't do well or maybe even didn't deserve.

Whenever I listen to Clarke he delivers a classic blinkered summary where he only sees things his own team does well and anything that went against them. A bit like the annoying aspects of Arsene Wenger. It's like listening to a fan rather than a manager. There's nothing wrong with listening to a fan but you expect more from an interview with someone like Clarke.

Personally - I thought it was a very good game between two evenly matched sides (at the moment - hopefully we will keep improving). Killie shaded the first half but I thought we bossed the second slightly more convincingly. By the end of the game - although a draw could have been a fair result - I thought if there was one team who could claim to deserve to win it was Hibs.

blackpoolhibs
16-09-2018, 10:16 AM
It’s a stonewaller

:agree: Cant argue with the evidence. :top marks

G B Young
16-09-2018, 10:33 AM
Watched on the Hibs TV and didnt think it was a penalty at first but the replays showed a good spot by the ref.

I only saw it live, no replays but I think Efe was lucky not to give one away in injury time. I was sure he had his foot high and took a Killie player out in the box after a corner.

Yep, that offers a great view of it. If you pause the action you can clearly see Maclaren nicks in just ahead of Broadfoot and has his foot clipped. No question it was a penalty - cleverly won.

tamsonsbairn
16-09-2018, 10:50 AM
Yep, that offers a great view of it. If you pause the action you can clearly see Maclaren nicks in just ahead of Broadfoot and has his foot clipped. No question it was a penalty - cleverly won.

Did Broadfoot get a card for his challenge, was it an obvious goal scoring opportunity. YOU DECIDE>

matty_f
16-09-2018, 10:51 AM
Did Broadfoot get a card for his challenge, was it an obvious goal scoring opportunity. YOU DECIDE>

No and no.

G B Young
16-09-2018, 10:58 AM

Having just watched it again, I don't think Broadfoot actually realises Maclaren is there and his sense of outrage is fuelled more by embarrassment at being caught out rather than a genuine belief he didn't commit a foul.

hfc rd
16-09-2018, 11:23 AM
I didn’t expect a penalty from that but will take it. These are the sort of breaks we never get.

tamig
16-09-2018, 11:23 AM
From highlights on Hibs TV it looked as if McLaren catches the back of Broadfoots leg and goes down....lucky pen..however we have had many against us, so will take the little bit if luck...thought we edged the game anyway..Killie were poor in second half

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Are you really sure this is what you’ve seen? I’ve still not seen the tv evidence yet but your summary seems to be way out of line with everyone else’s view.

bigwheel
16-09-2018, 11:33 AM
Are you really sure this is what you’ve seen? I’ve still not seen the tv evidence yet but your summary seems to be way out of line with everyone else’s view.

lol. it looked that way from my watch of Hibs TV...although the later footage shown here, makes it look as it Mclaren gets in from of Broadfoot..not seen it on a large screen yet (just phone) so may have mis-called it..

Edit: although when watched further in slow mo, I still say McLaren first catches Broadfoots right calf...then broadfoot clips McLaren ....

soft call...clever from McLaren to get in front of him...

Eyrie
16-09-2018, 11:49 AM
It’s a stonewaller

"When the facts change, I change my mind."

So in the spirit of Keynes, I have consider the new evidence and now accept that was indeed a stonewaller.

tamig
16-09-2018, 11:55 AM
lol. it looked that way from my watch of Hibs TV...although the later footage shown here, makes it look as it Mclaren gets in from of Broadfoot..not seen it on a large screen yet (just phone) so may have mis-called it..

I’ve just watched the twitter clip and I do think Broadfoot is caught out by McLarens speed and ends up catching him as he nips in in front of him.

LALthehibeeGAL
16-09-2018, 11:58 AM
It’s a stonewaller

never a pen looking at that anyway - but thems the breaks normally against us rather than for

lal

Allant1981
16-09-2018, 12:01 PM
never a pen looking at that anyway - but thems the breaks normally against us rather than for

lal

he clearly kicks maclaren though?

Eyrie
16-09-2018, 12:06 PM

lal

Question for LAL - is Steve Clarke using your account?

Pete
16-09-2018, 12:09 PM
Not deliberate and unfortunate for the defender.

Still a penalty though.

Greenbeard
16-09-2018, 12:52 PM
Def debatable after watching Hibs tv highlights. What would your view be if it was the other way round, say Boyd getting a penalty from a clash like that with Efe?
Yes there is clear contact on McLaren, but there is no way he put his right foot out at that angle thinking he is going to get the ball. His weight is all on his left peg and I think he is quick enough to realise that he is not going to get the ball, that Broadfoot is favourite to clear it, and he sticks his right foot in just to try and get the penalty.
Which he does! Smart or a wee bit sneaky? Whatever, a penalty it was. But I'd have been raging at Boyd if he had done that to Efe.

flash
16-09-2018, 12:55 PM

lal
No offence but your eyes must be painted on.

Halmyre Hibee
16-09-2018, 01:11 PM
I was at a Sportsmans dinner at my bowling club a few years back and one of the speakers was ex referee Willie Young.

He said a penalty kick is like a boiled egg. Soft or hard it's still a f****ng boiled egg.

InchHibby
16-09-2018, 01:12 PM
Seen it from every angle possible and completely understand why some say it wasn’t a penalty, but, seeing it from behind the players where the ref was positioned and although intentional, it was a stonewaller. McLaren gets in front due to his speed and the defender while meaning to play the ball, kicks away the right foot of McLaren, resulting in a penalty.

InchHibby
16-09-2018, 01:13 PM
Seen it from every angle possible and completely understand why some say it wasn’t a penalty, but, seeing it from behind the players where the ref was positioned and although intentional, it was a stonewaller. McLaren gets in front due to his speed and the defender while meaning to play the ball, kicks away the right foot of McLaren, resulting in a penalty.

( meant unintentional)

Hibernia&Alba
16-09-2018, 01:14 PM
I was at a Sportsmans dinner at my bowling club a few years back and one of the speakers was ex referee Willie Young.

He said a penalty kick is like a boiled egg. Soft or hard it's still a f****ng boiled egg.

I'm tempted to give a much more colourful analogy, but, as it's a family forum, shall refrain. :greengrin