PDA

View Full Version : Levein: 'Lenny has been different class'

G B Young
14-09-2018, 08:22 AM
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hearts/daughter-s-quip-lifted-craig-levein-s-spirits-after-fright-1-4799722

Levein mentions here that Lennon has been especially supportive since his heart scare. It's good to see that for all the bitterness and bile that gets dredged up before, during and after derbies the managers are able to step back from all that in 'real life'. Lennon, of course, has his own health issues so I guess it's no surprise he's been a help.

One thing that's been noticeable about Potter since he returned to the dugout is that he seems to have developed a sense of humour. It may not be a great sense of humour, but compared to his previous ice cold, prickly persona when he seemed incapable of giving credit where it was due, it's a big shift. I don't doubt that he'll revert to type come the next derby, but I do wonder if his health is something that's been an issue for him for longer than we know and whether he's maybe taken stock of what's important in life during his time away from hands-on management. I also wonder what the medical advice has been about him returning to the dugout. That's something you imagine Hearts must be monitoring closely as it's hard to imagine 'football manager' comes under the list of activities recommended for somebody who has spent time in the coronary care unit.

Springbank
14-09-2018, 08:27 AM
Hope we smash them 3-0 in the derby though

Chic Murray
14-09-2018, 08:33 AM
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hearts/daughter-s-quip-lifted-craig-levein-s-spirits-after-fright-1-4799722

Levein mentions here that Lennon has been especially supportive since his heart scare. It's good to see that for all the bitterness and bile that gets dredged up before, during and after derbies the managers are able to step back from all that in 'real life'. Lennon, of course, has his own health issues so I guess it's no surprise he's been a help.

One thing that's been noticeable about Potter since he returned to the dugout is that he seems to have developed a sense of humour. It may not be a great sense of humour, but compared to his previous ice cold, prickly persona when he seemed incapable of giving credit where it was due, it's a big shift. I don't doubt that he'll revert to type come the next derby, but I do wonder if his health is something that's been an issue for him for longer than we know and whether he's maybe taken stock of what's important in life during his time away from hands-on management. I also wonder what the medical advice has been about him returning to the dugout. That's something you imagine Hearts must be monitoring closely as it's hard to imagine 'football manager' comes under the list of activities recommended for somebody who has spent time in the coronary care unit.

Lennon helped out because he is a decent human being. I wish people would stop talking about his health, as if it is their property, and their right to discuss.

TheHarpy76
14-09-2018, 08:36 AM
Hope we smash them 3-0 in the derby though

Just 3-0? While we’re hoping can we not just make it double figures? :greengrin

Col2
14-09-2018, 08:37 AM
Have to say I am SO bored of this.

Levein is a selfish, narrow minded coward who has spent the last few years hiding from responsibility yet keep all the power. He has a level of bitterness towards Hibs that is obsessive.

I am glad he is recovering but this outpouring for him
Is nauseating.

Itsnoteasy
14-09-2018, 08:43 AM
Lennon helped out because he is a decent human being. I wish people would stop talking about his health, as if it is their property, and their right to discuss.

If either didn't discuss their health to the media we wouldn't be talking about it.
I think NL wants people to talk about it to highlight the issue. 🙄

IGRIGI
14-09-2018, 08:46 AM

Levein is a selfish, narrow minded coward who has spent the last few years hiding from responsibility yet keep all the power. He has a level of bitterness towards Hibs that is obsessive.

Is nauseating.

It's becoming full on Celtic esque, every post reeks of "Look everyone at how fantastic we are".

Hibbyradge
14-09-2018, 08:47 AM

I agree with your first sentence. I'm not in full agreement with the second.

Lennon put his health issues into the public domain, presumably so people would discuss them, increase awareness and thereby improve understanding and lessen the stigma.

Making allowance for people with depression and other mental health illnesses is a good thing even though they can sometimes be made unnecessarily.

SquashedFrogg
14-09-2018, 08:49 AM

Lennon makes no secret of his health issues. Openly talks about it. This I'm sure helps him and undoubtably helps others. Very much a hidden illness which, thankfully, is becoming less so.

The more these issues, and others, are openly discussed can only benefit those affected.

Hibbyradge
14-09-2018, 08:49 AM

Is nauseating.

You're seeing an outpouring that doesn't exist, on this thread anyway.

SquashedFrogg
14-09-2018, 08:52 AM
It's becoming full on Celtic esque, every post reeks of "Look everyone at how fantastic we are".

But we are fantastic?

Tobias Funke
14-09-2018, 08:54 AM

I am probably not the only one on here that finds your posting style as extremely strange and peculiar. You don’t come across as anything other than weird.

IncredibleHibee
14-09-2018, 09:00 AM

The whole reason Lennon talks about his mental health in the media is to ensure people do talk about it. Let the couple brain cells you have talk to each other before posting 😜

Pretty Boy
14-09-2018, 09:11 AM
Part of the stigma around mental health is the feeling some have that it is a taboo subject that shouldn't be discussed. No one would have said 'we shouldn't mention that Alan Stubbs had cancer' so why is someone dealing with depression, anxiety, bi-polar or whatever else different? By arguing it should be off limits it's playing into the idea it's somehow something to be ashamed off.

G B Young
14-09-2018, 09:36 AM

Curious response. It was Lennon who put his health issues into the public domain and invited discussion around them because he clearly feels mental health is an issue which needs better understanding. Anyone who has mental health issues of their own, or knows somebody who does, will be aware just how difficult, and often alarming, it can be. I take my hat off to Lennon for doing so.

To underline just how prevalent an issue this is, a former England U21 player said this week that clubs should employ counsellors to help players who are struggling:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45510063

BTW if anyone on here relates to these issues and might feel like sharing their thoughts, there's a good thread about anxiety and depression on the Holy Ground.

G B Young
14-09-2018, 09:46 AM

Is nauseating.

When it comes to Hearts and Levein, what has been nauseating has been their self-styled reinvention as the good guys of Scottish football - something that seems to have been swallowed by a fair chunk of the media.

What is not nauseating is common decency being shown by football fans when something more important than football comes to the fore. My personal opinion of Levein has never been high, but I'd like to think that he may emerge from his health scare a better person - thanks in part to the number of well wishers who may have helped him to see beyond the end of his nose.

IWasThere2016
14-09-2018, 09:53 AM

Is nauseating.

This.

Neil Lennon is a class human being.

renato
14-09-2018, 10:18 AM
When it comes to Hearts and Levein, what has been nauseating has been their self-styled reinvention as the good guys of Scottish football - something that seems to have been swallowed by a fair chunk of the media.

What is not nauseating is common decency being shown by football fans when something more important than football comes to the fore. My personal opinion of Levein has never been high, but I'd like to think that he may emerge from his health scare a better person - thanks in part to the number of well wishers who may have helped him to see beyond the end of his nose.

Spot on.

eastcoasthibby
14-09-2018, 10:19 AM
This.

Neil Lennon is a class human being.

Absolutely all of this post and reply, all the crap that comes out is from Levein, an insecure, arrogant, obsessed Hibs hater, who shows no tespect for anyone and spouts drivel to feed his hordes of similar minded club supporters.
I dont have any ill will toward him and glad he is recovering, but he will continue to be what he is in his mindset and how he presents himself.
Thankfully Lennon is a class above him.

WhileTheChief..
14-09-2018, 10:42 AM

Is nauseating.

Lennon amd Levein have been friends for years.

Your description of Levein is made up crap.

Chic Murray
14-09-2018, 11:10 AM
Curious response. It was Lennon who put his health issues into the public domain and invited discussion around them because he clearly feels mental health is an issue which needs better understanding. Anyone who has mental health issues of their own, or knows somebody who does, will be aware just how difficult, and often alarming, it can be. I take my hat off to Lennon for doing so.

To underline just how prevalent an issue this is, a former England U21 player said this week that clubs should employ counsellors to help players who are struggling:

BTW if anyone on here relates to these issues and might feel like sharing their thoughts, there's a good thread about anxiety and depression on the Holy Ground.

Curious to you, maybe. I'm sure plenty of other people can relate to what I said.

My point is, you don't have to be I'll to be empathetic to others. Just because he was willing to say he lives with depression, doesn't mean he wants everything he does to be linked to it.

What has his "mental health issues" got to do with being nice to Levein? I'm guessing, hee haw.

That's all.

Col2
14-09-2018, 12:09 PM
Lennon amd Levein have been friends for years.

Your description of Levein is made up crap.

Made up? I wasn’t referring to the friendship they have I was referring to the wider outpouring of fake emotion and the reinventing of Levein.

There is a reason Craig Levein has never been popular in the Scottish game. There is a reason he has never been recognised as a successful manager and there is a reason why he hid as DOF when all hell was breaking out. His hatred of all things Hibs comes over all the time.

21st of May 2016 must have been a dark dark day for him.

HIBERNIAN-0762
14-09-2018, 12:16 PM

Is nauseating.

This.

Chic Murray
14-09-2018, 12:17 PM
Made up? I wasn’t referring to the friendship they have I was referring to the wider outpouring of fake emotion and the reinventing of Levein.

There is a reason Craig Levein has never been popular in the Scottish game. There is a reason he has never been recognised as a successful manager and there is a reason why he hid as DOF when all hell was breaking out. His hatred of all things Hibs comes over all the time.

21st of May 2016 must have been a dark dark day for him.

I have never picked up on any hatred of anything from Craig Levein. I spoke to him in the sponsors lounge once after we had dismantled Hearts 2-1. He seemed disappointed by the result, but was happy to sign autographs, and share a drink with fans.

SquashedFrogg
14-09-2018, 12:25 PM
Curious to you, maybe. I'm sure plenty of other people can relate to what I said.

My point is, you don't have to be I'll to be empathetic to others. Just because he was willing to say he lives with depression, doesn't mean he wants everything he does to be linked to it.

What has his "mental health issues" got to do with being nice to Levein? I'm guessing, hee haw.

That's all.

You questioned peoples right to discuss it. People have every right to discuss it. Particularly on a thread where the health of another manager was referred to.

The rest of your post just doesn't make sense tbh.

lord bunberry
14-09-2018, 12:27 PM
He’s back to full health now so **** him. I hope his team get absolutely pumped silly tomorrow and the toilet on the team bus breaks leaving him to **** himself in front of his own players.

nomad
14-09-2018, 12:28 PM

So true if you have never had problems great I spoke with NL at the launch of an SAMH event true gent and it is hard to talk when you feel so low

SquashedFrogg
14-09-2018, 12:29 PM
He’s back to full health now so **** him. I hope his team get absolutely pumped silly tomorrow and the toilet on the team bus breaks leaving him to **** himself in front of his own players.

🤣😂

Chic Murray
14-09-2018, 12:29 PM
You questioned peoples right to discuss it. People have every right to discuss it. Particularly on a thread where the health of another manager was referred to.

The rest of your post just doesn't make sense tbh.

Right you are. I've said my bit to the OP, let's move on.

Edit: I never questioned people's right to discuss it. I questioned whether it was relevant.

If the rest of the post doesn't make sense, that's your problem. I'm sure a lot of people will get what I mean.

Further edit: You're correct, I did ask whether people had a right to discuss it. I would say, "only in the right context". It's a matter of conjecture whether Neil was nice because he has had "issues" himself, or because he's just a decent guy.

That's all the edits.

Heckys Wheel
14-09-2018, 02:12 PM

Is nauseating.

100% right.

F*** ‘um

WhileTheChief..
14-09-2018, 02:17 PM
^^Nice family friendly forum response right there!

Hibs class eh.

Chic Murray
14-09-2018, 02:38 PM
^^Nice family friendly forum response right there!

Hibs class eh.

It could be what his family call "friendly", to be fair.

SquashedFrogg
14-09-2018, 03:41 PM
Right you are. I've said my bit to the OP, let's move on.

Edit: I never questioned people's right to discuss it. I questioned whether it was relevant.

If the rest of the post doesn't make sense, that's your problem. I'm sure a lot of people will get what I mean.

Further edit: You're correct, I did ask whether people had a right to discuss it. I would say, "only in the right context". It's a matter of conjecture whether Neil was nice because he has had "issues" himself, or because he's just a decent guy.

That's all the edits.

So are we moving on? Not sure you have yet judging with the edits 😀

You can't just keep adding text to a post and hope it'll all eventually make sense.

I still disagree with your op. As I suspect many will. And have already done so.

Ok, let's move on. Big game tomorrow.

basehibby
14-09-2018, 03:48 PM
Absolutely all of this post and reply, all the crap that comes out is from Levein, an insecure, arrogant, obsessed Hibs hater, who shows no tespect for anyone and spouts drivel to feed his hordes of similar minded club supporters.
I dont have any ill will toward him and glad he is recovering, but he will continue to be what he is in his mindset and how he presents himself.
Thankfully Lennon is a class above him.

:whistle::fibber::big grin:

Chic Murray
14-09-2018, 04:13 PM
So are we moving on? Not sure you have yet judging with the edits ��

You can't just keep adding text to a post and hope it'll all eventually make sense.

I still disagree with your op. As I suspect many will. And have already done so.

Ok, let's move on. Big game tomorrow.

I had the decency to correct myself. If many means you, and the OP, you win.

As it turns out, we both think we are right. You could have left it, but chose to be a Smart Alex instead. That's nice.

SquashedFrogg
14-09-2018, 05:53 PM
I had the decency to correct myself. If many means you, and the OP, you win.

As it turns out, we both think we are right. You could have left it, but chose to be a Smart Alex instead. That's nice.

Mate. Relax. People pulled you up for your post. Deal with it.

heretoday
15-09-2018, 06:11 AM
I've had a dream. Lenny bursts into the Royal Inf, stands at the foot of Craig's bed haranguing him and then evades security by doing his Ryanair routine down the corridors and out the door.
It's a cracker!

dp00
15-09-2018, 06:25 AM
This has mainly been made into a big thing by the Glasgow media because we are seen as rivals . Wishing someone well Is the normal thing to do, and I’m sure Craig would have done same to Neil however because in Glasgow you have Celtic and Rangers who genuinely hate each other they see it as a big thing for someone to wish someone from there rivals well

Our derby has the same passion & determination to win etc etc but the big difference is after the game 99% of hibs and hearts fans could then sit in a pub or somewhere together and chat and have friendly banter about the game without all hell breaking loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk