PDA

View Full Version : Lennon - Mobile phones banned. What would you change?

RossScott1991
13-09-2018, 09:48 AM
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/neil-lennon-says-banning-mobile-phones-helps-hibs-players-1-4798974

Article today Lennon saying mobile phones are banned from training at Hibs. If you could have it your way what other things would you change and revert to more ''old school'' ways for the modern day footballer?

in the general world of football or can be specifically something you would like to see back at hibs?

Pretty Boy
13-09-2018, 09:56 AM
I read an article a while back about the All Blacks and how they all pitch in to clean the changing rooms and carry out any tasks that need done. It's part of the honour of playing for the side.

Whilst it's hard to translate that to football because players will just go elsewhere I'd like to see young lads given a bit of a grounding like they were back in the day. Maybe helping to wash strips, sweep changing rooms, wash boots and so on. I don't think there's anything wrong with reminding anyone that they have a chance to live a pretty privileged life if they have the right work ethic.

Souter96Mac
13-09-2018, 09:56 AM
Remove the goalposts

Pedantic_Hibee
13-09-2018, 10:02 AM
Remove the goalposts

Bloody schematics!!

wookie70
13-09-2018, 10:05 AM
Bring back booking players who stop free kicks being taken. Bring back the 6 second rule for keepers but mostly bring back footballers being real men. The women are far harder than the men from what I can see. Any player rolling about should be given a one month ban for bringing the game into disrepute.

WhileTheChief..
13-09-2018, 10:13 AM
I long for the days when fans didn’t tak about freedom of information requests, compliance officers or bringing the game into disrepute!!

RossScott1991
13-09-2018, 10:17 AM
Banning dressing room team photos unless you win something. Arsenal a club often criticised for posing for changing room photos after beating likes of Bournemouth at home.

Aubenas
13-09-2018, 10:19 AM
I read an article a while back about the All Blacks and how they all pitch in to clean the changing rooms and carry out any tasks that need done. It's part of the honour of playing for the side.

Whilst it's hard to translate that to football because players will just go elsewhere I'd like to see young lads given a bit of a grounding like they were back in the day. Maybe helping to wash strips, sweep changing rooms, wash boots and so on. I don't think there's anything wrong with reminding anyone that they have a chance to live a pretty privileged life if they have the right work ethic.

The Dev Squad have those daily chores at HTC.👍

wandering_hibee
13-09-2018, 10:20 AM
Book time wasters, players not retreating at free kicks and players questioning every decision made by the ref. Lets get the game flowing.

Smartie
13-09-2018, 10:22 AM
I'd go back to the days when bad fouls were punished by fouls and red/ yellow cards, and that deliberately retaliating or striking an opponent merited a red card and that the card would be upheld if appealed.

Scorrie
13-09-2018, 10:29 AM

It’s part of the all blacks No Dickhead Policy. Japan were praised for the way they left the changing rooms at the World Cup and a few days later Hibs XI played at Berwick in a pre season friendly and cleaned up after. A good and class habit to get into and keeps players feet on the ground

SirDavidsNapper
13-09-2018, 11:46 AM
I'd ban this hand over the mouth nonsense you see when players talk to each other. For no other reason than it does my head in

calumhibee1
13-09-2018, 12:04 PM
I'd ban this hand over the mouth nonsense you see when players talk to each other. For no other reason than it does my head in

Not really a surprise nowadays when there’s god knows how many cameras at the top level games. Do Hibs players/SPL players do it?

Bangkok Hibby
13-09-2018, 12:15 PM
Put them all on normal wages

green day
13-09-2018, 12:19 PM

Agreed - It would be brilliant if some lipreader came ut on a monday and said - "Jose apparently called Klopp a total ****er" It would make press conferences more fun :thumbsup:

matty_f
13-09-2018, 12:21 PM

I disagree with this, they work in an industry that generated billions of pounds and I'd much rather the players (that people pay to watch) got their share of that cash than it going to owners or shareholders.

Movie stars get paid millions, why not footballers - if they're good enough?

calumhibee1
13-09-2018, 12:29 PM
I disagree with this, they work in an industry that generated billions of pounds and I'd much rather the players (that people pay to watch) got their share of that cash than it going to owners or shareholders.

Yup. Majority of people wouldn’t even play football if it was for a normal wage seeing as you’d need to start from the bottom in a new career when you retired. Footballers are paid what they’re worth due to their on pitch ability, marketability etc, even if it is astronomical amounts.

Risboro Hibby
13-09-2018, 12:31 PM
Ban the spread of VAR TV replays and endless pundits on TV giving their expert opinion.
Lets get back to the days when the Ref made the decision, without all the mod cons scrutiny, and only the fans then discussing with only seeing it live whether we were robbed or not

Fuzzywuzzy
13-09-2018, 12:35 PM
Longer training sessions. Get them doing more weights, yoga, swimming etc

Brightside
13-09-2018, 12:35 PM

Who decides what a normal wage is? Plenty people watching Hibs that will be a earning more than the players.

worcesterhibby
13-09-2018, 12:36 PM

Yes but what about the bollocks spouters on here? We are an intrinsic part of the game and these days most transfer rumours you read about in the paper are direct lifts from fans forums. Where would the highly trained and highly talented footballers be without the wonderful army of dedicated Bollock talkers that fill up fans forums ? Half players wages and pay fans £100 a post for all the crap they can muster I say !

(My invoice is in the post)

matty_f
13-09-2018, 12:38 PM
Yes but what about the bollocks spouters on here? We are an intrinsic part of the game and these days most transfer rumours you read about in the paper are direct lifts from fans forums. Where would the highly trained and highly talented footballers be without the wonderful army of dedicated Bollock talkers that fill up fans forums ? Half players wages and pay fans £100 a post for all the crap they can muster I say !

(My invoice is in the post)
I subscribe to this point of view. :agree:

Bangkok Hibby
13-09-2018, 12:40 PM
Who decides what a normal wage is? Plenty people watching Hibs that will be a earning more than the players.

Which always was the case. I don't know the answer but the obscene money in the game nowadays is surely wrong. Perhaps something akin to the salary cap in the NFL?

Brightside
13-09-2018, 12:43 PM
Which always was the case. I don't know the answer but the obscene money in the game nowadays is surely wrong. Perhaps something akin to the salary cap in the NFL?

Just tax them higher. AND ensure they pay FULL tax in the country they play in. Make sure that tax is then punted into the Grassroots game.

Brummie_Hibs
13-09-2018, 12:44 PM
Coloured boots

WhileTheChief..
13-09-2018, 12:52 PM
Just tax them higher. AND ensure they pay FULL tax in the country they play in. Make sure that tax is then punted into the Grassroots game.

Eh? How does that work then?

Should teachers income tax be used solely to pay for schools? Nurses and doctors for the NHS?

Gonna be a bit of a funding gap there I think!

Top earning footballers pay way more tax than the rest of us already and help pay for the public services that you and I enjoy.

worcesterhibby
13-09-2018, 12:56 PM

Should teachers income tax be used solely to pay for schools? Nurses and doctors for the NHS?

Top earning footballers pay way more tax than the rest of us already and help pay for the public services that you and I enjoy.

Unless they were paid via ETB's :greengrin

oldbutdim
13-09-2018, 01:07 PM
Coloured boots

Spot on.

And manbuns, ponytails, neck tattoos, and over the knee socks.

Andy.1875
13-09-2018, 01:13 PM
Bring back bevvie at half time in the ground.

Fuzzywuzzy
13-09-2018, 01:17 PM

Jesus, Jimmy Hill will be turning in his grave!!!

MWHIBBIES
13-09-2018, 01:19 PM
Longer training sessions. Get them doing more weights, yoga, swimming etcWe have fitness experts employed to decide on these things. I have a feeling they know how much footballers should be doing and our players are doing it.

If I could change anything it would be this ''good old days'' attitude, I'd have people stop overthinking daft nonsense and just enjoy whats infront of them.

Peevemor
13-09-2018, 01:26 PM

Just last week a French politician proposed a 5% tax on all football transfers, with the revenue being reinvested at grass roots level. Across here they do stuff like this quite a lot - saying that the money raised in a certain new tax will be used for a specific purpose and in general it is (at least for the first year or two).

heretoday
13-09-2018, 01:39 PM
End all TV and radio interviews with players. They just talk in clichés anyway so you never learn anything.

That and coloured boots. Black only please. We're not on the beach.

JimboHibs
13-09-2018, 01:42 PM
Just last week a French politician proposed a 5% tax on all football transfers, with the revenue being reinvested at grass roots level. Across here they do stuff like this quite a lot - saying that the money raised in a certain new tax will be used for a specific purpose and in general it is (at least for the first year or two).

I was asked if I would like my tax to stay in Scotland or the UK as a whole.

Fuzzywuzzy
13-09-2018, 01:51 PM
We have fitness experts employed to decide on these things. I have a feeling they know how much football should be doing and our players are doing it.

If I could change anything it would be this ''good old days'' attitude, I'd have people stop overthinking daft nonsense and just enjoy whats infront of them.

Touché

Allant1981
13-09-2018, 04:37 PM

i doubt plenty fans will be earning at least £100k per year, some yes, plenty no

RyeSloan
13-09-2018, 04:58 PM
Socks that don’t have holes cut into them...wtf is that all about?

calumhibee1
13-09-2018, 05:33 PM
i doubt plenty fans will be earning at least £100k per year, some yes, plenty no

From what people say on here (which admittedly could be ***** :greengrin) I doubt many of the players are either.

superfurryhibby
13-09-2018, 05:47 PM
Socks over the knee....wtf?

Stop playing super loud, super crap music a couple of minutes before kickoff.

Can players adopt footwear suitable for the conditions and stop sliding about on their *****.

Finally, can we have another decade when we rarely lose to H*****

Mikey09
13-09-2018, 05:58 PM
Shirt tucked in, socks pulled up!! Oli McBurnie... Shambles.

Jones28
13-09-2018, 08:14 PM
Every defeat should be punished with a session running the sand dunes at Gullane

Allant1981
13-09-2018, 08:18 PM
From what people say on here (which admittedly could be ***** :greengrin) I doubt many of the players are either.

£2k per week would be the average id guess for first team players

SquashedFrogg
13-09-2018, 08:21 PM

Approx 1% of uk earn >100k pa

derekduval
13-09-2018, 08:26 PM
Yup. Majority of people wouldn’t even play football if it was for a normal wage seeing as you’d need to start from the bottom in a new career when you retired. Footballers are paid what they’re worth due to their on pitch ability, marketability etc, even if it is astronomical amounts.

How’s about reduce ticket prices and not have people giving money away for nothing to various schemes, include reducing the price of replica strips too

heidtheba
13-09-2018, 10:51 PM

"Legacy" is a brilliant book and I think that humilty, whilst being World class, is something that's a real 'growth mindset'. It might stop some of the "I've arrived" over confidence which you could possibly level at some Scottish players over the years.

Peevemor
14-09-2018, 06:23 AM
"Legacy" is a brilliant book and I think that humilty, whilst being World class, is something that's a real 'growth mindset'. It might stop some of the "I've arrived" over confidence which you could possibly level at some Scottish players over the years.

I wonder if they use similar psychology in Australia. I noticed during Milligan's interview with Hibs TV he made a big point about still having things to learn, not something you hear often from 33 year old established internationals.

calumhibee1
14-09-2018, 07:18 AM
How’s about reduce ticket prices and not have people giving money away for nothing to various schemes, include reducing the price of replica strips too

You could do, but then you could say that about anything that makes a lot of money. Coca Cola could reduce the price of their product etc. I personally don’t think £20 odds for 90+ minutes of live entertainment is that bad to be honest and is pretty comparable to other live events like musicals, concerts etc. Likewise replica strips - they’re not cheap, but not a lot of stuff is nowadays. I looked at a tshirt in the Nike outlet for wearing to the gym the other day that was £35. Just a plain tshirt and that was in the outlet aswell, the RRP was presumably more than that.

Let’s remember that even the players at Hibs and other Scottish teams are better than 99.999% (I made this figure up but I’d hazard a guess it’s true or not far off it :greengrin) of the worlds population at what they do. Anyone else that’s at such a high level in most other fields probably earn more than that.

jingler1954
14-09-2018, 07:44 AM
Bring back booking players who stop free kicks being taken. Bring back the 6 second rule for keepers but mostly bring back footballers being real men. The women are far harder than the men from what I can see. Any player rolling about should be given a one month ban for bringing the game into disrepute.
That's just the start.

Bostonhibby
14-09-2018, 09:01 AM
Big leather fitbas with a bladder inside and 20 sections of leather sewn together and a bit where you had to tie up a lace to keep the bladder in.[emoji6]

Doubled in weight when it rained.

The youngsters today don't know how easy they've got it. We used to have to carry our own pitch to every game.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Smartie
14-09-2018, 09:26 AM
Jumpers for goalposts etc

My_Wife_Camille
14-09-2018, 11:37 AM
I’d get rid of all this modern sports science guff. Whatever happened to running up Arthur’s Seat? That was a science in my day

allezsauzee
14-09-2018, 04:26 PM
Get rid of squad numbers please. Starting line up should be 1-11 and the names on the jerseys are unnecessary. It's just a marketing ploy to sell more jerseys and then charge you an extra few quid for letters on them.

heretoday
16-09-2018, 08:50 AM
Every defeat should be punished with a session running the sand dunes at Gullane

Watched by a cardboard cutout of Jock Wallace.

.Sean.
16-09-2018, 08:52 AM
Not a ban as such but I wish players would tuck their tops in. Nobody does that any more. I would however ban fluorescent boots as they look ridiculous.

Lancs Harp
16-09-2018, 09:11 AM
Moan fest message boards :greengrin