PDA

View Full Version : Hampden or Murrayfield?

Hibbyradge
11-09-2018, 10:11 AM
This issue was calling out for a poll so although it's a bit late, here it is.

Out of the two choices being considered, w do you think the national football stadium should be, Hampden or Murrayfield.

mutley
11-09-2018, 10:15 AM
I chose Murrayfield for no other reason than a selfish point of view for ease of travel to/from there.

MB62
11-09-2018, 10:24 AM
Murrayfield for me too, although if they decided to bulldoze Dumpden and re-build it in to a decent stadium, then I would have no problem travelling through to the Weeg.

NAE NOOKIE
11-09-2018, 10:45 AM
Hampden.

Even if it is a dump there's still something special about trips to that dump. I don't know about anybody else, but as a fitba fan I get a bit pissed off when I see rugby constantly being held up as a paragon compared to the beautiful game, especially when it comes to the behaviour of the respective supports and players …. the last thing I want to see is that level of smugness being ramped up by football having to rent facilities from them.

Buy Hampden ( which should have happened decades ago ) and get the bloody place sorted out.

J-C
11-09-2018, 10:49 AM
I chose Murrayfield because of the ease to and fro with all the transport links available, I'm sick to the back teeth waiting over an hour or so just to reach the motorway after a big final at Hampden.

J-C
11-09-2018, 10:50 AM
Hampden.

Even if it is a dump there's still something special about trips to that dump. I don't know about anybody else, but as a fitba fan I get a bit pissed off when I see rugby constantly being held up as a paragon compared to the beautiful game, especially when it comes to the behaviour of the respective supports and players …. the last thing I want to see is that level of smugness being ramped up by football having to rent facilities from them.

Buy Hampden ( which should have happened decades ago ) and get the bloody place sorted out.

They were saying on the radio that it looks like they've chosen to buy Hampden outright from Queens Park, I always thought it unlikely the blazers would move the games too far away from the OF.

we are hibs
11-09-2018, 10:52 AM
Murrayfield because it's the better stadium. It will be Hampden though as the SFA don't think football exists in the east of Scotland. And nothing will be done to improve the dump of a place either. No wonder no one turns up to internationals anymore.

JimBHibees
11-09-2018, 10:53 AM
I chose Murrayfield because of the ease to and fro with all the transport links available, I'm sick to the back teeth waiting over an hour or so just to reach the motorway after a big final at Hampden.

Agree with that the transport links are much better as is the stadium and teh number who can attend. Can remember the 2013 final sitting in the bus for a hour and still seeing hampden in the queue principally because a Glasgow team had a designated end at the supposed neutral stadium?

NAE NOOKIE
11-09-2018, 11:02 AM
They were saying on the radio that it looks like they've chosen to buy Hampden outright from Queens Park, I always thought it unlikely the blazers would move the games too far away from the OF.

Though I'm sure you are probably right about the OF angle that isn't a big issue for me. Hampden has been the home of the national team and the cup final for over a hundred years. Tradition is a big deal in sport and for me that's a big part of staying put, not only that, but I feel its important for Scottish football to have a neutral focus for its identity which belongs to it and not another sport, and especially not a sport which historically looks down its nose at us.

Hibbyradge
11-09-2018, 11:03 AM
Lots of countries' national stadium host more than one sport.

Murrayfield for me.

Hibs Class
11-09-2018, 11:14 AM
Murrayfield. By all means continue to take some games to the provincial clubs' grounds, but national stadium should be in the capital. In any event, Murrayfield is a far superior stadium.

Lendo
11-09-2018, 11:25 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45482397

BBC News are currently running a poll, which closes at 3pm today. Hampden currently out in front.

Smartie
11-09-2018, 11:32 AM
Hampden for me.

Alan62
11-09-2018, 11:41 AM
Hampden's a terrible stadium. Buying it and rebuilding it would be a crazy waste of resources when a perfectly viable option is available at Murrayfield.

Relocating national games to Murrayfield may force the SFA to be less Glasgow-centric.

Successful football use of Murrayfield may reduce the Scottish rugby world's smug-twattery.

Having said that, I thoroughly expect the SFA to spend squillions to protect their Glasgow empire. They'll do a half-hearted rebuild at Hampden ensuring it remains frustratingly rubbish while moving games on a temporary basis to Celtic Park and Ibrox.

SouthMoroccoStu
11-09-2018, 11:49 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45482397

BBC News are currently running a poll, which closes at 3pm today. Hampden currently out in front.

45%/39% in favour of Hampden

16% for Other - Would love to know what "Other" means in the minds of those voters

SouthMoroccoStu
11-09-2018, 11:50 AM
Having said that, I thoroughly expect the SFA to spend squillions to protect their Glasgow empire. They'll do a half-hearted rebuild at Hampden ensuring it remains frustratingly rubbish while moving games on a temporary basis to Celtic Park and Ibrox.

This

In a nutshell, The GFA voting for Murrayfield would be like turkeys voting for Christmas

Sioux
11-09-2018, 11:51 AM

How long do you think it takes to get away from Murrayfield?

To get to the motorways you can go via Corstorphine or Calder Road. Both an absolute shambles in the evening rush hour, never mind a 60K crowd.

This stuff about transport links to and from Murrayfield is fantasy island.

SquashedFrogg
11-09-2018, 11:53 AM

To get to the motorways you can go via Corstorphine or Calder Road. Both an absolute shambles in the evening rush hour, never mind a 60K crowd.

Not sure when you class rush hour but it's not after a game.

Alan62
11-09-2018, 11:55 AM

60,000 people descending on any single venue will cause transport problems. How does Murrayfield currently cope with rugby crowds compared with Hampden on a matchday?

StevieC
11-09-2018, 11:57 AM

That is just the scenario for one mode of transport.
Factor in train travel, bus travel and locality to the centre of the city and I think that overall Murrayfield will edge it.

matty_f
11-09-2018, 12:03 PM
It's a nap that it'll be Hampden imho. I would be hugely surprised if they chose Murrayfield, which I think they would pick if they had been presented the two options with a clean slate (I.e. if they were starting now and had to choose which one they'd use).

With the history at Hampden though, it would have to be a massively compelling case to move.

McSwanky
11-09-2018, 12:23 PM
No love for either of them as a stadium, and given the crowd at last night's game (and to a lesser extent, Friday's game against Belgium), neither are suitable for a large percentage of Scotland's home internationals.

Would prefer a "pay as you play" deal for Murrayfield where a large crowd is expected, and taking the 'lesser' (in reality, the majority) games around club stadiums, but diddly squat chance of that happening.

It'll be Hampden.

Brightside
11-09-2018, 12:27 PM
They are going to make the announcement live at Hampden..... I think that might be a clue.

Since90+2
11-09-2018, 12:29 PM
They are going to make the announcement live at Hampden..... I think that might be a clue.

It will be Hampden but they could hardly announce it at Murrayfield for obvious reasons.

matty_f
11-09-2018, 12:33 PM
BBC are reporting that it will be Hampden.

Steven79
11-09-2018, 12:34 PM
(https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45344645)Hampden v Murrayfield: Scottish FA opt to keep games in Glasgowhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45344645

Lendo
11-09-2018, 12:35 PM

Really didn't expect anything else. Same old *****.

Last nights attendance was embarrassing. Absolutely no reason for these games not to be played in Edinburgh, Dundee or Aberdeen.

GreenCastle
11-09-2018, 12:36 PM

It was always going to be Hampden.

The questions are how much will the SFA pay for the stadium - what will happen next with the stands (any plans to improve design?!)

delbert
11-09-2018, 12:38 PM

Forward thinking again from the SFA, spending millions they don’t have to buy a stadium which millions don’t want to go to, judging by the crowds at the last two games ! It’s a dump which is awkward to get to, horrible to get away from (although the smaller crowds are helping !!) and it’s baffling to see that most of the main arguments are that although it’s a dump, it’s a historic dump which means we should keep it !! We don’t need a national stadium, we have plenty of other modern stadiums to meet current crowd capacities with better facilities, views and infrastructure and if we do need a national stadium, it should be in the nations capital, like others, London, Cardiff, Belfast and Dublin to name but a few !!

SquashedFrogg
11-09-2018, 12:47 PM
It's a nap that it'll be Hampden imho. I would be hugely surprised if they chose Murrayfield, which I think they would pick if they had been presented the two options with a clean slate (I.e. if they were starting now and had to choose which one they'd use).

With the history at Hampden though, it would have to be a massively compelling case to move.

It's the history bit I don't get. History is full of places we don't go to now, or things we don't do anymore. Staying in a place because of 'history' lacks ambition.

"We've always done it this way so let's continue to do it this way".

Uninpsiring crap.

I'd be interested in the relationship the Irish FA and Rugby Association have. I suspect it works quite well.

BullsCloseHibs
11-09-2018, 12:50 PM
It's like asking what Hearts shirt do you prefer, home or away one. The answer is always gonna be *****.

JimBHibees
11-09-2018, 12:56 PM

So assuming they have the funding to bring it into the 21st century to improve it as it really is an awful stadium. Will be interesting to hear the rationale for the decision no doubt made up nonsense.

matty_f
11-09-2018, 12:56 PM
It's the history bit I don't get. History is full of places we don't go to now, or things we don't do anymore. Staying in a place because of 'history' lacks ambition.

Uninpsiring crap.

I'd be interested in the relationship the Irish FA and Rugby Association have. I suspect it works quite well.

Would you be happy for us to be playing at Straiton these days? :greengrin

FWIW, I agree. It should have been Murrayfield or another solution altogether.

stoneyburn hibs
11-09-2018, 12:59 PM
It'll be no surprise that it's Hampden, sadly.
Questions should be asked as to why they've chosen to spend all their funds on the current stadium, rather than sharing with the SRU and having more funds available for the grassroots of football in Scotland.

SquashedFrogg
11-09-2018, 01:00 PM
Would you be happy for us to be playing at Straiton these days? :greengrin

FWIW, I agree. It should have been Murray field or another solution altogether.

Haha, if it got me home quicker, possibly 😀

I just dont think change is always a bad thing. I'd loved to have seen us try something new, fresh.

Clinging to history to keep the status quo (potential pun alert) is a sad state of affairs.

JimBHibees
11-09-2018, 01:02 PM
Questions should be asked as to why they've chosen to spend all their funds on the current stadium, rather than sharing with the SRU and having more funds available for the grassroots of football in Scotland.

That is the key question. No doubt will be enough money for new blazers and trips abroad first class.

we are hibs
11-09-2018, 01:02 PM
The SFA are a disgrace and have kept Scottish football in the dark ages yet again. And they had the cheek to claim hibs fans celebrating on the pitch set Scottish football back decades. Corrupt inept bunch of clowns the lot of them

SquashedFrogg
11-09-2018, 01:06 PM
The SFA are a disgrace and have kept Scottish football in the dark ages yet again. And they had the cheek to claim hibs fans celebrating on the pitch set Scottish football back decades. Corrupt inept bunch of clowns the lot of them

I'm looking forward to hearing what swung the decision. Must have some exciting plans for Hampden 🙄

Scorrie
11-09-2018, 01:09 PM

Coupled with the appointment of McLeish we really are going backwards at a rate of knots.

Baader
11-09-2018, 01:12 PM
No surprise. They were never going to move East. Hampden is an appalling stadium and badly needs redeveloped. Be interesting to see what they do about this. The Sfa really are a complete joke.

monarch
11-09-2018, 01:15 PM
The case for Hampden, aided by the west coast media, was based purely on past glories and tradition. That’s the “tradition” of 134,000 crowds crushed into the ground half of whom were unable to see, dust being blown up from the ash terrace and the the comforting warm glow of someone else’s urine pouring down the back of your leg. The SFA don’t have the money to refurbish it to acceptable modern day standards.

The SRU presentation was geared to the future. Today’s fans expect a “matchday experience” ( I know I hate that phrase !) to cover more than a pie and bovril. There’s only about 4 pubs within a mile of Hampden and virtually no restaurants. There’s an endless supply of both around the West End/ Haymarket area and even the city centre is within easy walking distance or a short tram ride to Murrayfield. Admittedly there is a gap between the stands and the pitch but the steepness of the seating makes it considerably better than the abysmal flatline view behind the goals at Hampden.
Still, the SFA know best.

:rolleyes:

cleanyman
11-09-2018, 01:15 PM
Great decision

Means I can once again walk to the stadium for our league cup semi next month

JimBHibees
11-09-2018, 01:22 PM
The case for Hampden, aided by the west coast media, was based purely on past glories and tradition. That’s the “tradition” of 134,000 crowds crushed into the ground half of whom were unable to see, dust being blown up from the ash terrace and the the comforting warm glow of someone else’s urine pouring down the back of your leg. The SFA don’t have the money to refurbish it to acceptable modern day standards.

The SRU presentation was geared to the future. Today’s fans expect a “matchday experience” ( I know I hate that phrase !) to cover more than a pie and bovril. There’s only about 4 pubs within a mile of Hampden and virtually no restaurants. There’s an endless supply of both around the West End/ Haymarket area and even the city centre is within easy walking distance or a short tram ride to Murrayfield. Admittedly there is a gap between the stands and the pitch but the steepness of the seating makes it considerably better than the abysmal flatline view behind the goals at Hampden.
Still, the SFA know best.

:rolleyes:

Pretty much nailed it with that.

kaimendhibs
11-09-2018, 01:26 PM
Shockerooni. The GFA never intended to move. Waste of time and money

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

SirDavidsNapper
11-09-2018, 01:28 PM
Im done with the SFA. Completely inept at everything they do. Might do what Hearts fans do and boycott Hampden.

Steven79
11-09-2018, 02:05 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/scotland/45487404

Ryan91
11-09-2018, 02:11 PM
So they own the ground now, but they've heehaw cash with which to improve it.

hibbyfraelibby
11-09-2018, 02:18 PM

From the BBC

"While the Glasgow side will receive £5m for the deal, it is believed the total cost to the SFA will be in the region of £19m because of liabilities going back to when the stadium was redeveloped in 1998."

So £19m which they dont have to stay in a stadium they need to redevelop, costing god knows how many £m, meanwhile the grass roots get heehaw investment as a result.

Money going out off the sport on an epic scale. Folly of the highest order.

Ozyhibby
11-09-2018, 02:28 PM
From the BBC

"While the Glasgow side will receive £5m for the deal, it is believed the total cost to the SFA will be in the region of £19m because of liabilities going back to when the stadium was redeveloped in 1998."

So £19m which they dont have to stay in a stadium they need to redevelop, costing god knows how many £m, meanwhile the grass roots get heehaw investment as a result.

Money going out off the sport on an epic scale. Folly of the highest order.

To be fair, that is not all cash going out. They are only assuming those liabilities and it will only cast the SFA money if they stop using Hampden.
Still a poor decision and many millions will now be needed to bring it up to scratch which could have been better spent.
Still, Rod will be happy. He loves a good infrastructure project to get his teeth into while the team is left to fail spectacularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MB62
11-09-2018, 02:36 PM
Shockerooni. The GFA never intended to move. Waste of time and money

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

This was all about a bluff threat to Queens Park to sell Dumpden to the SFA for peanuts otherwise they were (NEVER) going to move the national football stadium to Murrayfield.

Stonewall
11-09-2018, 02:40 PM
I'm looking forward to hearing what swung the decision. Must have some exciting plans for Hampden 🙄

My preference was for a redeveloped Hampden or failing that Murrayfield. The SFA never had any intention of leaving Hampden. Just used the SRU bid as a means to force Queens Park into a deal that suited them.

I look forward to seeing how they’re going to develope the ground and improve the transport infrastructure.

Lago
11-09-2018, 02:44 PM
No surprise. They were never going to move East. Hampden is an appalling stadium and badly needs redeveloped. Be interesting to see what they do about this. The Sfa really are a complete joke.
So true!

Blaster
11-09-2018, 02:46 PM
My preference was for a redeveloped Hampden or failing that Murrayfield. The SFA never had any intention of leaving Hampden. Just used the SRU bid as a means to force Queens Park into a deal that suited them.

I look forward to seeing how they’re going to develope the ground and improve the transport infrastructure.

That was my preference too. Some posters are mentioning money going out the football coffers to buy Hampden but it would have been going into the rugby coffers instead.

Money is already going out by paying rent to Queen’s Park. This way the sfa own it and all future revenue

ancient hibee
11-09-2018, 02:47 PM
They better tie up the money from Willie Haughey in case something happens to him before 2020.I see the SFA are going to improve transport links.Doesthat mean they’re buying Glasgow Buses as well ?

basehibby
11-09-2018, 03:49 PM
I'm in favour of the Murrayfield option - if only in taking away the advantage to the Glasgow clubs in having the National Stadium on their doorstep.

It will also be good for fans in the North East though as would be easier to get to from Aberdeen/Inverness etc than Hampden.

Geo_1875
11-09-2018, 03:52 PM
They better tie up the money from Willie Haughey in case something happens to him before 2020.I see the SFA are going to improve transport links.Doesthat mean they’re buying Glasgow Buses as well ?

No they're not. That's just bull****. Nothing will change, except prices will rise to cover the additional liabilities and expenses that the SFA have incurred to ensure that nothing changes.

Smartie
11-09-2018, 04:37 PM
I'm in favour of the Murrayfield option - if only in taking away the advantage to the Glasgow clubs in having the National Stadium on their doorstep.

It will also be good for fans in the North East though as would be easier to get to from Aberdeen/Inverness etc than Hampden.

Is it better to have the National Stadium on your doorstep?

I quite like the day out aspect of it being somewhere else.

Not sure I'd want to have a drink up town before heading out to Murrayfield for a cup final.

O'Rourke3
11-09-2018, 04:50 PM
What a complete waste of everyone's time. Threaten QP with loss but they didn't blink and 3rd party rolls up last minute as SFA struggled to extend decision time. My abiding memory of Hampden is my first visit. The SF v Oldco in 72 and having to wade though pee to get to the old North stand. It wasn't fit for purpose then and isn't now. It's just where games were played. I'd like 5minutes with Mr Maxwell to see what his ideas are for improving transport links that don't involve technology yet to be invented on poor roads and location..

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Just Alf
11-09-2018, 04:59 PM

This stuff about transport links to and from Murrayfield is fantasy island.I know I'm late too the party, dam work! But when Murrayfield has a major event they pay the police extra to create a clearway along corstorphine road out to Marbury... effectively a double lane all the way with some help at the junctions, it does let it clear out the worst traffic quite quickly, definitely NO sitting ages waiting on yer bus to move!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Smartie
11-09-2018, 05:02 PM
What a complete waste of everyone's time. Threaten QP with loss but they didn't blink and 3rd party rolls up last minute as SFA struggled to extend decision time. My abiding memory of Hampden is my first visit. The SF v Oldco in 72 and having to wade though pee to get to the old North stand. It wasn't fit for purpose then and isn't now. It's just where games were played. I'd like 5minutes with Mr Maxwell to see what his ideas are for improving transport links that don't involve technology yet to be invented on poor roads and location..

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Re transport - I've never understood why they couldn't do more "football specials" like we got to Kings Park for the semi when we lost to Hearts.

There's a hefty trainload of folk delivered straight from Edinburgh to Hampden without having to change trains in Glasgow city centre or clog up the roads with more cars or buses. Why can't there be trains like that from all major Scottish cities going direct to Hampden?

Why can't they provide free shuttle buses from the city centres, or services from the Park and Rides that exist throughout Scotland?

There are a few suggestions that don't involve digging up any roads or inventing new technology.

Getting tens of thousands of people into and out of any city location is challenging.

If Hampden was a fit for purpose stadium hosting a fit for purpose national team, we might have tens of thousands of people wanting to go to games again. Ok, last night's attendance was very poor but the Scottish public haven't been bad at backing the national side at Hampden over the past few years, especially when you consider the quality of the stadium and the team.

SquashedFrogg
11-09-2018, 05:08 PM
Is it better to have the National Stadium on your doorstep?

I quite like the day out aspect of it being somewhere else.

Not sure I'd want to have a drink up town before heading out to Murrayfield for a cup final.

Of course it's better. Why on earth anyone from Edinburgh want to travel to Glasgow instead of staying in the capital really is beyond me.

Transport costs, travel time. 2 reasons which make it a no brainer.

danhibees1875
11-09-2018, 05:20 PM
Of course it's better. Why on earth anyone from Edinburgh want to travel to Glasgow instead of staying in the capital really is beyond me.

Even with a fairly exceptional run of cup runs in recent time, we don't even average 1 trip per year. Time and costs are therefore hardly burdensome (an extra hour and £15 maybe?). I'd agree with the person you quoted that going elsewhere for it gives it more of a cup final feeling and that having it on your door step isnt necessarily a great thing.

I'm happy enough with them keeping it at Hampden - but I hope they tour the games a bit more often (although seems less likely now if there has been a financial outlay for Hampden today).

Smartie
11-09-2018, 05:26 PM

Do you go to Portobello on your holidays?

Saves transport costs and travel time going further afield.

I like a trip to Glasgow for a big game.

Jack Hackett
11-09-2018, 05:28 PM
They've just shown an aerial shot of hampdump on the news... take away the football field in the middle and it looked like a rundown railway shed. Utter disgrace as a national stadium

Blaster
11-09-2018, 06:00 PM

I like the day out mate, something different from the norm. Our supporters club runs two buses, get through sharp and into a wee bowling club for food and drink.

Had it been murrayfield we’d have all stayed in our local with our buses just heading up for kick off as all the boozers nearby would be rammed.

We’ve been lucky recently with the number of trips to Hampden and long may it continue. Each to their own I guess

bigwheel
11-09-2018, 06:04 PM

it is only an hour away...Glasgow is good for a day out - Hampden has football heritage....

I'm happy with the decision.

Mick O'Rourke
11-09-2018, 06:40 PM
I believe a major reason many chose Murrayfield over Hampden is not so much Edinburgh over Glasgow,but the stadium itself (Hampden)
The SFA in my lifetime has made a lot of money from Hampden
From that famous Real Madrid v Eintracht Frankfurt European cup final ....

.....to all those W/Cup qualifying games packed to the rafters during the 60s/70s/80s

Little improvements even then and yet the coffers were bulging with gate receipts.

Not too mention the cash from qualifying for 5 W/Cup finals in a row from 1974 and big sponsorships.

Hampden has been neglected,whilst nations of similar size and less, have built wonderful modern stadiums in recent times.

Wherever it is built .....We need a new National Football Stadium.
Hampden is a relic
Wonderful and great history ..yes
A relic nonetheless
Demolish and rebuild.
Hearts can find money to build a new stand after their near demise.

Surely the SFA can build a new Hampden

Smartie
11-09-2018, 06:45 PM
Is there any good reason why we are so skint?

Other than the last few days our International matches are well attended. Our semi-finals and finals are generally well-attended. The prices are punchy enough to be viable you would think (ie we don't need to charge £2 per match to get a crowd in).

Sponsorship must count for something, televised matches must count for something. There are decent hospitality facilities in the South Stand at Hampden which will be well utilised at most big games. I've attended courses in those facilities at Hampden which should bring in some more money.

How much more money do you get for qualifying for tournaments?

Surely the SFA could sell off some of the land that Hampden sits on for housing, keeping what they need for the stadium and fund a bit of redevelopment that way?

Per head of population Scotland has some of the best figures for football supporting in the world and imo we shouldn't be skint, so how are we?

worcesterhibby
11-09-2018, 06:49 PM
I like the day out mate, something different from the norm. Our supporters club runs two buses, get through sharp and into a wee bowling club for food and drink.

Had it been murrayfield we’d have all stayed in our local with our buses just heading up for kick off as all the boozers nearby would be rammed.

We’ve been lucky recently with the number of trips to Hampden and long may it continue. Each to their own I guess

Exactly the only time I ever drink in a bowls club is when the bus stops there on the way to a cup final !!

Billy Whizz
11-09-2018, 07:18 PM
Is there any good reason why we are so skint?

Other than the last few days our International matches are well attended. Our semi-finals and finals are generally well-attended. The prices are punchy enough to be viable you would think (ie we don't need to charge £2 per match to get a crowd in).

Sponsorship must count for something, televised matches must count for something. There are decent hospitality facilities in the South Stand at Hampden which will be well utilised at most big games. I've attended courses in those facilities at Hampden which should bring in some more money.

How much more money do you get for qualifying for tournaments?

Surely the SFA could sell off some of the land that Hampden sits on for housing, keeping what they need for the stadium and fund a bit of redevelopment that way?

Per head of population Scotland has some of the best figures for football supporting in the world and imo we shouldn't be skint, so how are we?

N.Ireland got £7m for qualifying for Euro 2016. The big money is in getting to the tournaments

roc1
11-09-2018, 07:26 PM
45%/39% in favour of Hampden

16% for Other - Would love to know what "Other" means in the minds of those voters

For me. A brand new national stadium somewhere near Bannockburn/Stirling with better road and rail links. Pay for a chunk of it by selling both Hampden and Murrayfield. Been saying it for years

Ozyhibby
11-09-2018, 07:36 PM
For me. A brand new national stadium somewhere near Bannockburn/Stirling with better road and rail links. Pay for a chunk of it by selling both Hampden and Murrayfield. Been saying it for years

Fantasy stuff that would be a massive white elephant. Even Hampden is a better option than that.

Steven79
11-09-2018, 07:44 PM
Fantasy stuff that would be a massive white elephant. Even Hampden is a better option than that.

Easy transport links to the north/east/west which means it would truly be a national stadium.

We have no need for two big grounds in Scotland that are only used a few times a year also no need for 3 big grounds in one city (And Hampden is the worst of the 3 in Glasgow)

SideBurns
11-09-2018, 07:45 PM

Agreed. In a wee country like Scotland, if there has to be a the national stadium then it should be in either the biggest city or the capital, both central belt with plenty transport links.

Build a new stadium in a field somewhere, and those fans who'll go to a game because they enjoy the social side of it will just watch it on the telly, particularly when the team's crap. And then we're really in bother.

lapsedhibee
11-09-2018, 07:51 PM
Hearts can find money to build a new stand after their near demise.

Surely the SFA can build a new Hampden

Hearts can find money to start building a new stand. :nerd:

delbert
11-09-2018, 08:04 PM

Fantasy stuff, the SRU own Murrayfield and have spent millions developing it over the years - they are about to build an 8000 seat stadium outside the main one for Edinburgh Rugby to play in - with the crowds going the way they are, it should be perfect for the national football team in about 10 years time !

Billy Whizz
11-09-2018, 08:05 PM
Fantasy stuff, the SRU own Murrayfield and have spent millions developing it over the years - they are about to build an 8000 seat stadium outside the main one for Edinburgh Rugby to play in - with the crowds going the way they are, it should be perfect for the national football team in about 10 years time !

You still at it on here.

roc1
11-09-2018, 08:07 PM

Fantasy perhaps (the SFA have ensured that now)
Missed opportunity in my own opinion but everyone is entitled to one. Cheers

jgl07
11-09-2018, 08:16 PM
I believe a major reason many chose Murrayfield over Hampden is not so much Edinburgh over Glasgow,but the stadium itself (Hampden)
The SFA in my lifetime has made a lot of money from Hampden
From that famous Real Madrid v Eintracht Frankfurt European cup final ....

.....to all those W/Cup qualifying games packed to the rafters during the 60s/70s/80s

Little improvements even then and yet the coffers were bulging with gate receipts.

Why would the SFA make any money from Hampden as it was owned by Queens Park?

Iggy Pope
11-09-2018, 08:52 PM
Why would the SFA make any money from Hampden as it was owned by Queens Park?

Queens Park trousered all the gate money of all those 100,000 + attendance games? Jeez, they have punched well below their weight.

Hulk1875
11-09-2018, 09:38 PM
It’s all about results if Scotland are giving hope we’ll get the crowds

SquashedFrogg
11-09-2018, 10:01 PM

Why would a shared national stadium in a central location be a white elephant?

A purpose built stadium which presumably would have multiple facilities for Scottish sports.

Keen to hear your rationale.

jacomo
11-09-2018, 10:58 PM

A purpose built stadium which presumably would have multiple facilities for Scottish sports.

I’ll give you mine - no stadium belongs out of town, surrounded by nothing.

The best decision Hibs ever made was to stay put and not move to Stratton.

The RFU are never going to abandon their prime location in the middle of their most valuable fan base and without selling Murrayfield there’s no money for a new build anyhow.

NAE NOOKIE
12-09-2018, 01:10 AM
Its time to move on now and concentrate on what we ( the SFA that is ) are going to do next.

I watched the interview with the SFA's representative this afternoon with nothing short of dismay. The answers to questions from the journalists present regarding their plans for the stadium were so tepid and guarded … where the hell was the enthusiasm? …. where the hell was the determination? …. where the hell was the positivity? The guy sounded like someone who had just bought a car only to find out it had no engine, I've seen more determination to make lemonade when life hands you lemons from folk from Birmingham winning a motorboat on sale of the century.

FFS !!! ……… Show positivity or at least outward enthusiasm for a big new challenge by saying ''''we are determined to bring the stadium into the 21st century within 10 years, hopefully a lot less'''' …. instead we get some mumbled acknowledgment that stuff needs done on the outside of the ground, agreement about the ends needing squared off ( dah! ) and some mumbled half hearted chat about possibly maybe looking at what Stuttgart have done with their stadium, garnished with a sauce of stating the blindingly obvious that funding needs to be found, but delivered in a way that gave the impression that they have barely thought about having to cross that bridge and have absolutely no idea of how to go about it or confidence that they can.

I cant begin to express my disdain for the SFA's plan to install new turnstiles and LED floodlights ….. Its like being told your car needs two grands worth of work on the engine to get through its MOT and going out and buying new alloys and getting it a respray.

Here's a few tips lads:

The Scottish government …. Spent an absolute fortune on other sports facilities for minority sports ( professional sports lets not forget ) so why not the country's most popular sport by far.

The UK government …. Have contributed massively to sports facilities all over England ( especially London ) in the last 10 years, that tax money also included Scottish contributions … so they cant be exempt from Scottish projects just because of Holyrood.

The national lottery …. Contributed 2.2 billion pounds to the London Olympics … on the basis that Scotland could never host such an event surely a crumb from that table to help fund a Hampden redevelopment isn't an unreasonable request.

Glasgow city council …. Immensely proud ( allegedly ) that Hampden is in their sphere of influence … lets see some concrete evidence of that.

Stadium sponsorship …… Arsenal prised 100 million quid out of the Emirates just for the naming rights for their new stadium.

Sale of land around the stadium …. Someone else mentioned this … it appears to be a huge site, far bigger than the actual stadium footprint, and if the ends were straightened out that would surely create even more surplus land at either end of the stadium, just look at the amount of surplus land Hibs ended up with when the old east terrace was demolished.

Crowdfunding ….. Why not? … I would be happy to chuck in a fiver.

A friendly against England …. It would surely fill the place and at £20 a time for tickets that would bring in around half a million quid after expenses.

Rod Stewart …. Never done bleating on about his support for the national team, well he's apparently worth over a hundred million quid .. lets see him put some money where his mouth is.

Scour the earth for any other exiled filthy rich folk out there with a tear in their eye for 'bonny Scotland'? …. Celtic did it with Fergus McCann, have you seen Celtic park?

They need to get the finger out … they need to start sounding FAR more positive about what they need to do and they need to be massively aggressive in the pursuit of their goals instead of the mumbly fluffy tepid underwhelming approach I witnessed this afternoon!!!

Ozyhibby
12-09-2018, 03:41 AM
Its time to move on now and concentrate on what we ( the SFA that is ) are going to do next.

I watched the interview with the SFA's representative this afternoon with nothing short of dismay. The answers to questions from the journalists present regarding their plans for the stadium were so tepid and guarded … where the hell was the enthusiasm? …. where the hell was the determination? …. where the hell was the positivity? The guy sounded like someone who had just bought a car only to find out it had no engine, I've seen more determination to make lemonade when life hands you lemons from folk from Birmingham winning a motorboat on sale of the century.

FFS !!! ……… Show positivity or at least outward enthusiasm for a big new challenge by saying ''''we are determined to bring the stadium into the 21st century within 10 years, hopefully a lot less'''' …. instead we get some mumbled acknowledgment that stuff needs done on the outside of the ground, agreement about the ends needing squared off ( dah! ) and some mumbled half hearted chat about possibly maybe looking at what Stuttgart have done with their stadium, garnished with a sauce of stating the blindingly obvious that funding needs to be found, but delivered in a way that gave the impression that they have barely thought about having to cross that bridge and have absolutely no idea of how to go about it or confidence that they can.

I cant begin to express my disdain for the SFA's plan to install new turnstiles and LED floodlights ….. Its like being told your car needs two grands worth of work on the engine to get through its MOT and going out and buying new alloys and getting it a respray.

Here's a few tips lads:

The Scottish government …. Spent an absolute fortune on other sports facilities for minority sports ( professional sports lets not forget ) so why not the country's most popular sport by far.

The UK government …. Have contributed massively to sports facilities all over England ( especially London ) in the last 10 years, that tax money also included Scottish contributions … so they cant be exempt from Scottish projects just because of Holyrood.

The national lottery …. Contributed 2.2 billion pounds to the London Olympics … on the basis that Scotland could never host such an event surely a crumb from that table to help fund a Hampden redevelopment isn't an unreasonable request.

Glasgow city council …. Immensely proud ( allegedly ) that Hampden is in their sphere of influence … lets see some concrete evidence of that.

Stadium sponsorship …… Arsenal prised 100 million quid out of the Emirates just for the naming rights for their new stadium.

Sale of land around the stadium …. Someone else mentioned this … it appears to be a huge site, far bigger than the actual stadium footprint, and if the ends were straightened out that would surely create even more surplus land at either end of the stadium, just look at the amount of surplus land Hibs ended up with when the old east terrace was demolished.

A friendly against England …. It would surely fill the place and at £20 a time for tickets that would bring in around half a million quid after expenses.

Rod Stewart …. Never done bleating on about his support for the national team, well he's apparently worth over a hundred million quid .. lets see him put some money where his mouth is.

Scour the earth for any other exiled filthy rich folk out there with a tear in their eye for 'bonny Scotland'? …. Celtic did it with Fergus McCann, have you seen Celtic park?

They need to get the finger out … they need to start sounding FAR more positive about what they need to do and they need to be massively aggressive in the pursuit of their goals instead of the mumbly fluffy tepid underwhelming approach I witnessed this afternoon!!!

The only problem with all that is the the SFA is run by guys you wouldn’t vote on to the committee of your local bowling club.

green day
12-09-2018, 07:32 AM
The only problem with all that is the the SFA is run by guys you wouldn’t vote on to the committee of your local bowling club.

True.

For all their "its an open and honest process" the SFA have a similar attitude to all these Glaswegian Celtic fans on Twitter - that they have "won" against their traditional rival Edinburgh and saved Scottish Football from falling into the hands of rugby.

So, so short sighted.

In reality, after it became apparent that Murrayfield was a better option, the SFA scranned around wealthy glaswegians and Tom Hunter and Willie Haughey came up with the readies to buy Hampden.

While I was never a fan of Murrayfield and would have preferred the option that both Scott Brown and Steven Naismith have mentioned - taking it round the grounds - that seemed a non starter.

As it is, the SFA have "won" their Pyrrhic victory against rugby, but as Tom English says on the BBC website there is no meat on the bones, no plan, no money.

What a mess.

green&left
12-09-2018, 07:58 AM
True.

For all their "its an open and honest process" the SFA have a similar attitude to all these Glaswegian Celtic fans on Twitter - that they have "won" against their traditional rival Edinburgh and saved Scottish Football from falling into the hands of rugby.

So, so short sighted.

In reality, after it became apparent that Murrayfield was a better option, the SFA scranned around wealthy glaswegians and Tom Hunter and Willie Haughey came up with the readies to buy Hampden.

While I was never a fan of Murrayfield and would have preferred the option that both Scott Brown and Steven Naismith have mentioned - taking it round the grounds - that seemed a non starter.

As it is, the SFA have "won" their Pyrrhic victory against rugby, but as Tom English says on the BBC website there is no meat on the bones, no plan, no money.

What a mess.

It's no really. The views directly behind the goals at Hampden are pretty ***** granted, but its hardly on par with Cowdenbeath's Central Park ffs.

Hampden offers no worse facilities or experience for the average punter than most other large stadiums that i've been to. Improve transport access to start with then see if funds can be found for redoing the East and Wests and it will be an ideal national stadium.

Phil MaGlass
12-09-2018, 08:11 AM

Uninpsiring crap.

This in a nutshell,

GreenCastle
12-09-2018, 08:46 AM

Here's a few tips lads:

Love it !

Close the thread - the SFA couldn’t run a bath.

The game needs a refresh urgently and that’s league structures also.

cabbageandribs1875
12-09-2018, 09:26 AM
It's no really. The views directly behind the goals at Hampden are pretty ***** granted, but its hardly on par with Cowdenbeath's Central Park ffs.

Hampden offers no worse facilities or experience for the average punter than most other large stadiums that i've been to. Improve transport access to start with then see if funds can be found for redoing the East and Wests and it will be an ideal national stadium.

this, all of it

i've no idea why some take delight in calling our national stadium 'Hamdump" it's not a dump and neither is the housing around it, although the stand roofs could do with a wee lick o paint for the aerial shots

p.s. and square those ends of

Renfrew_Hibby
12-09-2018, 09:27 AM
So footballs been saved for the Weedgies, it's the last thing they have to hang on to. Phew, losing to Edinburgh over football would have been like giving an entire region the snip. Their masculinity is still intact.

Now that's it's Hampden the debate should end over where the venue should be and the plan to rebuild Hampden should begin.
Now if money was no object and we were in a parallel universe then the whole site would be flattened and we would start from scratch. With the size of the site then anything would be possible.

Sadly we live in this particular universe so what can be done with the present ground?
There's not many examples of redeveloping a running track stadium into a traditional football venue, I can think of only three successful examples.
Celtic, Stuttgart and Udinese. The likes of Juventus and Wembley don't count because they were complete rebuilds and we don't have the cash for that.

For me Stuttgart is the model we should be looking at. They only redeveloped the two curved ends and only slightly remodeled the two sideline stands. The pitch was lowered so as to bring the sideline stands tighter to the pitch. Doing this at Hampden would add 4,000 to the capacity before you even talk about the curved ends.
The North stand would also need to be made steeper and slightly more leg room wouldn't go a miss. The South is fine as it is. The only real issue would be how the new end stands would be integrated into the existing north and south stands.
A finished stadium with a capacity of around 60,000 should be achievable.

hughio
12-09-2018, 09:31 AM
Nae Nookie for SFA president.

:agree:

ancient hibee
12-09-2018, 09:36 AM
Nae Nookie for SFA president.

:agree:

What makes you think he gets any?

ballengeich
12-09-2018, 11:10 AM

That's probably not financially practical now. The opportunity to have one national stadium was lost some years ago when the SFA and SRU both spent a lot of money on doing up their own stadium. That was the time to take a decision to emulate Wales and bring football and rugby together and halving redevelopment and on-going maintenance costs, whether at Hampden, Murrayfield or on a new site is relatively immaterial.

where'stheslope
12-09-2018, 11:10 AM
this, all of it

i've no idea why some take delight in calling our national stadium 'Hamdump" it's not a dump and neither is the housing around it, although the stand roofs could do with a wee lick o paint for the aerial shots

p.s. and square those ends of

Quick question, SFA can't afford the full £5 million to buy Hampden, hence 2 people weighing in £2.5 million to help buy it, where are the SFA going to get £40/50 million to refurbish the stadium????

Answers on a postcard to SFA offices Hampden!!!!

Radium
12-09-2018, 11:17 AM
Quick question, SFA can't afford the full £5 million to buy Hampden, hence 2 people weighing in £2.5 million to help buy it, where are the SFA going to get £40/50 million to refurbish the stadium????

It's not just the cash cost:

"The SFA will pay £5m to the Scottish League Two side, although they say the total value of the deal will be in the region of £19m when liabilities to those involved in redeveloping the stadium in 1998 are taken into account."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12017/11495265/scottish-fa-agree-deal-to-remain-at-hampden-park

My reading of that is that they start their ownership £14M in debt not including what they have to do to raise/ deal with handing over £2.5M in cash

Juniper Greens
12-09-2018, 11:19 AM

"The SFA will pay £5m to the Scottish League Two side, although they say the total value of the deal will be in the region of £19m when liabilities to those involved in redeveloping the stadium in 1998 are taken into account."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12017/11495265/scottish-fa-agree-deal-to-remain-at-hampden-park

My reading of that is that they start their ownership £14M in debt not including what they have to do to raise/ deal with handing over £2.5M in cash

No, I believe these are grants that were awarded in 1998, that would be repayable in the event Hampden stopped being used as a football stadium. I think it's similar to how if Chelsea moved away, they couldn't sell Stamford Bridge, as someone else had gifted them the land with similar conditions.

monarch
12-09-2018, 12:03 PM

Well that will be the end any hope of investment into grass roots football or the mystical indoor full size pitches (Iceland have six of them !).

Renfrew_Hibby
12-09-2018, 12:04 PM
What are Queens Park going to do with £5M?

Peevemor
12-09-2018, 12:08 PM
What are Queens Park going to do with £5M?

Upgrade Lesser Hampden to use as their new home.

WhileTheChief..
12-09-2018, 12:15 PM

How did you feel when it was proposed that Hibs relocate to Straiton?

All the reasons that that was a crap idea apply to a purpose built soulless dome in the middle of the country.

JimBHibees
12-09-2018, 12:54 PM
Well that will be the end any hope of investment into grass roots football or the mystical indoor full size pitches (Iceland have six of them !).

Seven indoors and 30 outdoors plus smaller indoor ones. This was taken from a BBC article about them after they beat England in the Euros.

It's cold in Iceland. The average temperature in the warmest month is only 10-13C (50F-55F).

But more pertinently than that, it's dark in Iceland. There are nearly 20 hours of night-time in December. It's not ideal for practising football.

So the country has ploughed money in to indoor facilities for the sport over the past 15 years.

Iceland's football association (KSI) has overseen investment in 30 full-size all-weather pitches, seven of which are indoors, and almost 150 smaller artificial arenas.

lord bunberry
12-09-2018, 01:15 PM
One of the problems at Hampden is for semi finals and other games that aren’t going to sell out they insist on selling tickets in sections. You can end up with an absolutely **** seat down the front when there’s thousands of better seats lying empty. When I’m at the game I couldn’t give a **** how the stadium looks to tv viewers. It’s absolute madness.

Keith_M
12-09-2018, 01:32 PM
RE: Re-developing Hampden.

Replacing the curved North and South stands with stands of a similar height, but closer to the pitch would mean a reduction in capacity, so they would obviously have to be built much higher, most likely two tier. They're going to have to join up with the North and South at some point, meaning there's a limit to how much higher you can make them than they are currently (especially with the tiny north stand).

If you have a look at Hampden on a map, you'll see that the west end of the North Stand is almost against the road, while the other end is about 20 or so metres away. So, while you could extend that stand slightly, it would have to be a pretty lop-sided construction that starts off reasonably large at the east end and gradually decreases in size the nearer it is to the West.

TBH, it's really not an ideal starting point for re-development.

Juniper Greens
12-09-2018, 01:46 PM

Replacing the curved North and South stands with stands of a similar height, but closer to the pitch would mean a reduction in capacity, so they would obviously have to be built much higher, most likely two tier. They're going to have to join up with the North and South at some point, meaning there's a limit to how much higher you can make them than they are currently (especially with the tiny north stand).

If you have a look at Hampden on a map, you'll see that the west end of the North Stand is almost against the road, while the other end is about 20 or so metres away. So, while you could extend that stand slightly, it would have to be a pretty lop-sided construction that starts off reasonably large at the east end and gradually decreases in size the nearer it is to the West.

Move the pitch closer to the south stand and redo the other 3?

NAE NOOKIE
12-09-2018, 01:51 PM

Perhaps not. But as others have pointed out, if you dropped the level of the pitch you could easily compensate for the lack of room at the north side, you could also slightly reduce the size of the huge pitch, giving a few more yards to play with … that would probably allow for close to 60,000 with stands of the same height all around the stadium. Both ends only need to be single tier and there's ample room for that … build a mirror image of the south stand at the north side, join all 4 stands up and you have a cracking stadium.

Kato
12-09-2018, 02:00 PM
The tone of this thread has changed from a beauty competition with two entrants, to putting lip-stick on a pig.

NAE NOOKIE
12-09-2018, 02:03 PM
That's probably not financially practical now. The opportunity to have one national stadium was lost some years ago when the SFA and SRU both spent a lot of money on doing up their own stadium. That was the time to take a decision to emulate Wales and bring football and rugby together and halving redevelopment and on-going maintenance costs, whether at Hampden, Murrayfield or on a new site is relatively immaterial.

ballengeich:

The SFA had little if anything to do with previous redevelopments of Hampden, though Queens Park certainly obtained the money to upgrade it on the back of Scottish football's use of it as a venue. Queen's park would obviously have had nothing whatsoever to gain by cooperating with the SRU on anything, never mind a plan to sideline their own stadium.

where'sthe slope:

This is exactly the small time thinking I'm railing against the SFA for. I'll never tire of saying this, and neither should the SFA, …. If £113,000,000 of public money could be found to build a velodrome and £14,000,000 could be found to temporarily transform Hampden into an athletics stadium then that is absolutely the bare minimum of investment IE £127,000,000 that the SFA should be looking for … not purely from public funds, but from all sources to reach that total. For that sum of money they could easily build a mirror of the south stand, minus the offices and dressing rooms etc at the north side and square off the ends.

They need to think big and have the determination and can do attitude that so far they have singularly failed to display.

Moulin Yarns
12-09-2018, 02:04 PM
Perhaps not. But as others have pointed out, if you dropped the level of the pitch you could easily compensate for the lack of room at the north side, you could also slightly reduce the size of the huge pitch, giving a few more yards to play with … that would probably allow for close to 60,000 with stands of the same height all around the stadium. Both ends only need to be single tier and there's ample room for that … build a mirror image of the south stand at the north side, join all 4 stands up and you have a cracking stadium.

Dropping the pitch creates sightline problems with the existing slope of the stands.

where'stheslope
12-09-2018, 02:08 PM
How did you feel when it was proposed that Hibs relocate to Straiton?

All the reasons that that was a crap idea apply to a purpose built soulless dome in the middle of the country.
According to Scott Brown "we have one in the middle of Glasgow"??????

where'stheslope
12-09-2018, 02:12 PM
ballengeich:

The SFA had little if anything to do with previous redevelopments of Hampden, though Queens Park certainly obtained the money to upgrade it on the back of Scottish football's use of it as a venue. Queen's park would obviously have had nothing whatsoever to gain by cooperating with the SRU on anything, never mind a plan to sideline their own stadium.

where'sthe slope:

This is exactly the small time thinking I'm railing against the SFA for. I'll never tire of saying this, and neither should the SFA, …. If £113,000,000 of public money could be found to build a velodrome and £14,000,000 could be found to temporarily transform Hampden into an athletics stadium then that is absolutely the bare minimum of investment IE £127,000,000 that the SFA should be looking for … not purely from public funds, but from all sources to reach that total. For that sum of money they could easily build a mirror of the south stand, minus the offices and dressing rooms etc at the north side and square off the ends.

They need to think big and have the determination and can do attitude that so far they have singularly failed to display.
If these amount of monies could be found, surely it would be better spent on a stadium that would have all modern motorways and railways on its doorstep?
And in my mind it would be nowhere near either Glasgow or Edinburgh!!!!

Since90+2
12-09-2018, 02:28 PM
If these amount of monies could be found, surely it would be better spent on a stadium that would have all modern motorways and railways on its doorstep?

It would have to near to Edinburgh and Glasgow. It would be mad to build a national stadium not close to a countries two biggest cities by far.

ancient hibee
12-09-2018, 02:33 PM
[QUOTE=where'stheslope;5547975]If these amount of monies could be found, surely it would be better spent on a stadium that would have all modern motorways and railways on its doorstep?
And in my mind it would be nowhere near either Glasgow or Edinburgh!!!![/QUOTE

Rannoch Moor perhaps?

where'stheslope
12-09-2018, 02:38 PM
It would have to near to Edinburgh and Glasgow. It would be mad to build a national stadium not close to a countries two biggest cities by far.
Anywhere near Stirling using the M9 from Edinburgh and the M80 from Glasgow.
Trains are easily available from Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee.
That makes it by far the best area to try and build any new stadium, land is available and its not heavily urbanised.

heretoday
12-09-2018, 02:47 PM
That makes it by far the best area to try and build any new stadium, land is available and its not heavily urbanised.

Bannockburn!!!

NAE NOOKIE
12-09-2018, 02:58 PM
Dropping the pitch creates sightline problems with the existing slope of the stands.

Well, the south perhaps ,,, but seeing as how the other three will be getting knocked down that only leaves one stand to worry about in that area.

Since90+2
12-09-2018, 02:59 PM

That would be worse than we have now.

Whether we like it or not most football fans in this country stay in Glasgow and its surrounding area, the second biggest concentration of fans is in Edinburgh and the Lothians. A stadium in the middle of nowhere thankfully is not on the table .

NAE NOOKIE
12-09-2018, 03:04 PM

Miles from the pubs, cafes and restaurants required to make a trip to any big game an experience … Making a trip to Hampden a day out and not just a 90 minute experience is a big deal in selling our biggest games and internationals. Its by far one of the biggest reasons lunchtime kick offs piss off so many fans, you can get to Hampden from practically anywhere in the country for a lunchtime kick off by public transport, but that leaves you absolutely no time to enjoy the pre match and for many people it spoils there day.

Liberal Hibby
12-09-2018, 03:10 PM

Surely you could build the north stand up on the same footprint?

Since90+2
12-09-2018, 03:17 PM
Miles from the pubs, cafes and restaurants required to make a trip to any big game an experience … Making a trip to Hampden a day out and not just a 90 minute experience is a big deal in selling our biggest games and internationals. Its by far one of the biggest reasons lunchtime kick offs piss off so many fans, you can get to Hampden from practically anywhere in the country for a lunchtime kick off by public transport, but that leaves you absolutely no time to enjoy the pre match and for many people it spoils there day.

Yip. A trip to a stadium somewhere outside Stirling for a 12 noon kick off would be terrible.

Radium
12-09-2018, 03:41 PM
No, I believe these are grants that were awarded in 1998, that would be repayable in the event Hampden stopped being used as a football stadium. I think it's similar to how if Chelsea moved away, they couldn't sell Stamford Bridge, as someone else had gifted them the land with similar conditions.

I had only seen that they were linked to the redevelopment but had not picked up that were linked to its use.

Suspect that’s why the SFA were sticking to the £2.5M figure as Queens Park would probably have struggled to keep it going as a football venue.

O'Rourke3
12-09-2018, 04:40 PM
I had only seen that they were linked to the redevelopment but had not picked up that were linked to its use.

Suspect that’s why the SFA were sticking to the £2.5M figure as Queens Park would probably have struggled to keep it going as a football venue.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkShould it not have been in QPs interest to gift it to the SFA then? Clears 19 million of debt and ensures football remains rather than loads of new housing.

Sent from my KFTBWI using Tapatalk

Juniper Greens
12-09-2018, 04:56 PM
Should it not have been in QPs interest to gift it to the SFA then? Clears 19 million of debt and ensures football remains rather than loads of new housing.

Sent from my KFTBWI using Tapatalk

I think that was the GFAs plan. But...QP needed £5m for Lesser Hampden apparently? I'm expecting them to end up with something like our East Stand for that much! Unless they do a budge and try to manage it themselves.

Smartie
12-09-2018, 05:23 PM
Bannockburn!!!

No way.

We've gone more than 700 years unbeaten against the English at Bannockburn.

To lose to them there now would be what is was like for the jambos to see us win the Scottish Cup.

overdrive
12-09-2018, 05:47 PM
Don’t worry. Now that the national team will be remaining in Glasgow (and probably never setting foot in Edinburgh again), the SNP will be more than happy to chuck money at it to redevelop it.

Hibbyradge
12-09-2018, 06:41 PM

Here's a few tips lads:

Sound comments, Nae Nookie.

I hope you get a ride sometime soon.

Nakedmanoncrack
12-09-2018, 08:14 PM

Utter nonsense.
The best connected place in Scotland in terms of road and rail connections are obviously the places where people live, work and want to go. That is the cities. FS St Johnstone built a stadium next to the motorway, have you ever tried getting away from it after a match? Ages to get out the car park - and that's with an attendance of around 3 or 4k!

Radium
12-09-2018, 08:24 PM
Utter nonsense.
The best connected place in Scotland in terms of road and rail connections are obviously the places where people live, work and want to go. That is the cities. FS St Johnstone built a stadium next to the motorway, have you ever tried getting away from it after a match? Ages to get out the car park - and that's with an attendance of around 3 or 4k!

Reasonable road network

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180912/517dff972fff0072c85fd24e35c417a6.png

for something that won’t happen.

NAE NOOKIE
12-09-2018, 09:59 PM
Sound comments, Nae Nookie.

I hope you get a ride sometime soon.

:rolleyes: :greengrin

Antifa Hibs
13-09-2019, 10:25 AM
https://twitter.com/Millar_Colin/status/1172089924734111744/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwte rm%5E1172089924734111744 (https://twitter.com/Millar_Colin/status/1172089924734111744/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwte rm%5E1172089924734111744&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.skyscrapercity.com%2Fsho wthread.php%3Ft%3D1104169%26page%3D20)

Over to you Petrie. 10,000 additional seats and only £47m.

fiolex1
13-09-2019, 10:40 AM
We have spent since 1981 on 3 phases of development at Hampden approx £100 million. The Welsh national stadium cost £121. How could this amount be spent and it’s still not fit for purpose? A new stadium is going to be at a minimum £150 million - £200 million? . Where are we going to get the money?