PDA

View Full Version : Hendo in Italy

Iggy Pope
09-09-2018, 08:16 AM
Picked up a discarded Gazzetta Della Sporta in Florence station and while I don't understand any of it, it looks like Hendo is making his Mark! 21216

Onceinawhile
09-09-2018, 08:25 AM
That hair do though.

nickwhibs
09-09-2018, 08:25 AM
Good to read! It's basically saying that with Hendo and Co Verona have gold in midfield and with the Scotsman they have options to fly - i.e. he must be doing pretty well! (Can't read the writing below)

CMac1988
09-09-2018, 08:28 AM
Surely do well enough to be in and around the Scotland squad?

BILLYHIBS
09-09-2018, 08:29 AM
The postman always rings twice :greengrin

Smartie
09-09-2018, 08:36 AM

You would think so, wouldn't you?

Centre Hawf
09-09-2018, 09:01 AM
You would think so, wouldn't you?

Big Eck and the clowns at the SFA probably couldn’t find Italy on a map let alone know Hendos playing there.

Jim44
09-09-2018, 09:11 AM
With Verona in the bottom six of Serie B, his chances of getting recognition from McLeish might be slim.

Viva_Palmeiras
09-09-2018, 09:12 AM
Still only 22. Packed a lot in already - Some boy.

Winston Ingram
09-09-2018, 09:26 AM

He’s in Serie B and he plays in a position where Scotland are quite well covered.

heretoday
09-09-2018, 09:38 AM
Lucky sod. Playing in Italy.... Wow!

CMac1988
09-09-2018, 09:40 AM
He’s in Serie B and he plays in a position where Scotland are quite well covered.

My knowledge on Serie B and Italian football in general these days is severely lacking but at his age with the experience of playing abroad I'd still like to see him in the squad for friendlies to see how he gets on.
I get we have a number of semi decent midfielders but none of them are irreplaceable and why bother with friendlies at all if you aren't going to try something new? The squad may be in the bottom half of the league but there's constant news stories in regards to how well Henderson is playing.
We need to start playing players in form and not just playing those who play at bigger clubs.

In saying that I haven't watched him play other than a few YouTube clips in recent times so I may just be speaking nonsense.

brog
09-09-2018, 10:06 AM

The problem is that midfield is our one area that we're well covered, plus left back. We have no centre backs & 1 striker (LG ) who has injury problems. Maybe Harry Potter was ahead of his time with his 4-6-0!

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-09-2018, 10:12 AM
Lucky sod. Playing in Italy.... Wow!

He must be settled over there and enjoying life given that he could have returned to nearer home after the Bari fiasco. I can see him ending up in Serie A either with his present team or after a move.

Jamesie
09-09-2018, 10:30 AM
He must be settled over there and enjoying life given that he could have returned to nearer home after the Bari fiasco. I can see him ending up in Serie A either with his present team or after a move.

There were a few rumours that Serie A teams were after him during and around the Bari situation: I wonder if he maybe took the view that a fulll season of first team football in Serie B (remember he only joined Bari in January) might set him up better for a crack at Serie A rather than jumping straight in?

Aritch
09-09-2018, 10:35 AM
There were a few rumours that Serie A teams were after him during and around the Bari situation: I wonder if he maybe took the view that a fulll season of first team football in Serie B (remember he only joined Bari in January) might set him up better for a crack at Serie A rather than jumping straight in?

My understanding was that he wanted to work with Fabio Grosso again, the manager who signed him for Bari.

Sure we’ll see him making the step up to serie A sooner rather than later.

Smartie
09-09-2018, 10:37 AM

If he wanted to be in the reserves at a big club then he'd have been as well staying at Celtic.

He strikes me as a fairly smart lad, and has made some brave but clever career moves. A season playing every week in series B is not something to be sniffed at. And if Strachan was justified in picking SJM in the Scottish first division then if Hendo is doing the business over there then he should be in the national squad.

SonOfDavidFrancey
09-09-2018, 02:59 PM
The midfield is ‘A collective director’ ready to
Make a successful film...’
I love the way other countries and cultures write about football

Mibbes Aye
09-09-2018, 03:21 PM
Very few young Scots have taken the opportunity and the challenge of playing abroad.

Henderson has done it in two nations now. Playing in Serie B at his age, with a real chance of making Serie A is a far better prospect than playing for Celtic reserves or dare I say it, playing first team for us.

If it doesn’t work out over there he knows he can get a game in Scotland. If it does work out then the sky’s the limit

Juniper Greens
09-09-2018, 03:22 PM
Sure there is another young scot, Harvey st Clair playing in serie b, for Venice maybe? Hopefully a trend

PatHead
09-09-2018, 03:26 PM
Is there much of a difference between Serie B and the English championship?

Juniper Greens
09-09-2018, 03:33 PM
Hmm...stoke or Verona...

Quality wise, id imagine the top championship teams are better than the top serie b ones.

Smartie
09-09-2018, 03:40 PM
Very few young Scots have taken the opportunity and the challenge of playing abroad.

Henderson has done it in two nations now. Playing in Serie B at his age, with a real chance of making Serie A is a far better prospect than playing for Celtic reserves or dare I say it, playing first team for us.

If it doesn’t work out over there he knows he can get a game in Scotland. If it does work out then the sky’s the limit

I have loads of respect for Scottish players who even attempt to play abroad, let alone make a decent fist of it.

Colr
09-09-2018, 05:44 PM
Picked up a discarded Gazzetta Della Sporta in Florence station and while I don't understand any of it, it looks like Hendo is making his Mark! 21216

As England is a rich and internation league than it was when Scottish talent would develop there, I would love to see more Scots players going to play in leagues in Europe.

The Green Goblin
09-09-2018, 09:47 PM
If a hun can be selected while playing in a team in the very bottom rung of Scottish football, then there should be no issue with LH in Serie B.

Hi Heid Yin
09-09-2018, 09:56 PM
As England is a rich and internation league than it was when Scottish talent would develop there, I would love to see more Scots players going to play in leagues in Europe.

I agree.
I've thought this for a long time.
Andy Murray had to go to Spain to develop his tennis and it did him no harm.
The more our Scottish youth players are exposed to "better standards of coaching" and "a higher calibre of opposition" the better it will be eventually for the Scottish national side.

Ryan69
10-09-2018, 07:00 AM

Did he not win the Norwegian league with Rosenburg too?
Or am I mixing him up with someone else?

Aritch
10-09-2018, 08:14 AM
Did he not win the Norwegian league with Rosenburg too?
Or am I mixing him up with someone else?

Yeah, league and cup double in fact.

Onceinawhile
10-09-2018, 10:09 AM
Jack Harper got a goal for Malaga in the Segunda liga this weekend as well.:aok:

PatHead
10-09-2018, 10:47 AM
How many Scottish players are playing abroad now? Obviously Henderson, Jack Harper, Harvey St Clair? Jonny Russell in USAAnd the ex Dundee United player at Sporting Lisbon. Barry Douglas was in Poland but I can’t think of other players.

WeeRussell
10-09-2018, 12:15 PM
My understanding was that he wanted to work with Fabio Grosso again, the manager who signed him for Bari.

Sure we’ll see him making the step up to serie A sooner rather than later.

I think I would too after those 2006 heroics :agree:

Northernhibee
10-09-2018, 12:19 PM
How many Scottish players are playing abroad now? Obviously Henderson, Jack Harper, Harvey St Clair? Jonny Russell in USAAnd the ex Dundee United player at Sporting Lisbon. Barry Douglas was in Poland but I can’t think of other players.

Stokes in Iran

WeeRussell
10-09-2018, 12:21 PM
Stokes in Iran

He's not Scottish.

The Pointer
10-09-2018, 12:32 PM
That's a tad annoying as I was in Verona three weeks ago and, without knowing he played for them, tried to find out if they were at home, but couldn't find anything.

Had quite a well presented club shop near the amphitheatre.

Jack Hackett
10-09-2018, 01:27 PM

Ryan Gauld... out on loan to Farense

Juniper Greens
10-09-2018, 01:43 PM
Ryan Gauld... out on loan to Farense

I'm told by people in Lisbon that it's a really strange move for him. They see the 2nd tier as very physical and don't think Gauld will cope. Apparently they all thought the move to Aberdeen on loan was a done deal, wonder what happened

Jack Hackett
10-09-2018, 02:37 PM
I'm told by people in Lisbon that it's a really strange move for him. They see the 2nd tier as very physical and don't think Gauld will cope. Apparently they all thought the move to Aberdeen on loan was a done deal, wonder what happened

Ryan probably remembers what the winters are like :greengrin

eastmainsmsh
10-09-2018, 03:29 PM
My knowledge on Serie B and Italian football in general these days is severely lacking but at his age with the experience of playing abroad I'd still like to see him in the squad for friendlies to see how he gets on.
I get we have a number of semi decent midfielders but none of them are irreplaceable and why bother with friendlies at all if you aren't going to try something new? The squad may be in the bottom half of the league but there's constant news stories in regards to how well Henderson is playing.
We need to start playing players in form and not just playing those who play at bigger clubs.

In saying that I haven't watched him play other than a few YouTube clips in recent times so I may just be speaking nonsense.

Miss the football italia lol

SChibs
18-09-2018, 02:22 PM
Not good for henderson just now as Serie B has been suspended!

Billy Whizz
18-09-2018, 02:32 PM

Why?

Northernhibee
18-09-2018, 02:34 PM
He's not Scottish.

Neither he is

murray26
18-09-2018, 02:34 PM

Why..? I noticed his team Verona are going well.. 4-1 win at the weekend and a Hendo assist.. 2nd in the table.. hopefully it’s nothing serious.

Dalianwanda
18-09-2018, 02:37 PM
Neither he is

😅 Lee Irwin is who is playing for the same team. (may have been mentioned already)

xyz23jc
18-09-2018, 02:41 PM

Simon Murray in SA. :agree:

nonshinyfinish
18-09-2018, 03:32 PM
Why?

As far as I can tell, three teams were bombed out of the league in the summer for 'financial irregularities', but there was no agreement on which teams shouuld replace them, so this season they just cracked on with 19 teams instead of 22. But now it's gone to some court or arbitration body, who's said they have to stop playing games until there's a final agreement on who (if anyone) joins the league.

Having a good old go at making Scottish football's governance look competent.

Iggy Pope
18-09-2018, 04:11 PM
As far as I can tell, three teams were bombed out of the league in the summer for 'financial irregularities', but there was no agreement on which teams shouuld replace them, so this season they just cracked on with 19 teams instead of 22. But now it's gone to some court or arbitration body, who's said they have to stop playing games until there's a final agreement on who (if anyone) joins the league.

Having a good old go at making Scottish football's governance look competent.

I nearly paid Euros to see Livirno in Serie B last night before this suspension (got beat 0-1). Opted for closer to accommodation Pisa v Cuneo instead and witnessed overpriced rubbish. The Pisa game was Serie C scheduled at a weeks notice (same league finance troubles apparently) and moved from Wednesday to last night at a couple of days notice.
Italian football seems plagued with this and if I'm honest hasn't it always?

IGRIGI
18-09-2018, 04:15 PM
I can't read the thread title without singing "Breakfast at tiffany's".

truehibernian
18-09-2018, 04:25 PM
I nearly paid Euros to see Livirno in Serie B last night before this suspension (got beat 0-1). Opted for closer to accommodation Pisa v Cuneo instead and witnessed overpriced rubbish. The Pisa game was Serie C scheduled at a weeks notice (same league finance troubles apparently) and moved from Wednesday to last night at a couple of days notice.

What is Pisa like Iggy ? Only ask because a colleague's daughter is going there to study and he was/is a wee bit anxious - she is travelling around Italy first though (with a friend). It's one of the only parts of Italy I haven't travelled to. Sorry to hijack a thread and sound like trip advisor :greengrin. I loved Italy have to say, would retire there in a heartbeat.

Billy Whizz
18-09-2018, 04:39 PM

How much was a ticket IP

Iggy Pope
18-09-2018, 07:45 PM
What is Pisa like Iggy ? Only ask because a colleague's daughter is going there to study and he was/is a wee bit anxious - she is travelling around Italy first though (with a friend). It's one of the only parts of Italy I haven't travelled to. Sorry to hijack a thread and sound like trip advisor :greengrin. I loved Italy have to say, would retire there in a heartbeat.

Pisa is strongly recommended. Plenty to do and see, great train links to the rest of Tuscany and beyond. She will be fine in Pisa I think, it's a big enough city that's easy to get around. And in 5 mins here, she'll know more about it than me I've no doubt.

One Day Soon
18-09-2018, 07:51 PM
Pisa is strongly recommended. Plenty to do and see, great train links to the rest of Tuscany and beyond. She will be fine in Pisa I think, it's a big enough city that's easy to get around. And in 5 mins here, she'll know more about it than me I've no doubt.

You didn't fancy the Venice or Verona options then?

Iggy Pope
18-09-2018, 07:52 PM
How much was a ticket IP

40 -50 Euro for a seat in the Tribune. Got 20 Euro tickets in the Gradinate which is a concrete block not dissimilar to the adorable wee arrangement at Central Park stock cars. The game was largely ***** although the Pisa ultras did not stop from start to finish in the Curva. Unlikeable blue colours though.

truehibernian
18-09-2018, 07:57 PM

Cheers mate, I'll pass that on :aok: I think she will really enjoy Italy - her father will have to have deep pockets mind as she lives a champagne lifestyle on an Irn Bru wallet and it's not cheap there........I sense many a phone call home and quite a few online bank transfers :greengrin

Iggy Pope
18-09-2018, 07:58 PM
You didn't fancy the Venice or Verona options then?

Too much travelling ODS. Maybe next time. Need to get back to Pisa where the digs are and the trains aren't running late at night, but your advice was much welcomed. Even Livorno was too much of an ask as they kicked off at 9pm last night and no public transport from the stadium area after 10. Picking up,the paper in Florence with Hendo's mug in it got me racing though.

Iggy Pope
18-09-2018, 08:01 PM
Cheers mate, I'll pass that on :aok: I think she will really enjoy Italy - her father will have to have deep pockets mind as she lives a champagne lifestyle on an Irn Bru wallet and it's not cheap there........I sense many a phone call home and quite a few online bank transfers :greengrin

Ooooft!. Asperol looks too much like Irn Bru. Watch oot!

One Day Soon
18-09-2018, 08:08 PM
Too much travelling ODS. Maybe next time. Need to get back to Pisa where the digs are and the trains aren't running late at night, but your advice was much welcomed. Even Livorno was too much of an ask as they kicked off at 9pm last night and no public transport from the stadium area after 10. Picking up,the paper in Florence with Hendo's mug in it got me racing though.

No bother. Sounds like you've been having a good time anyway. Pretty jealous to be honest. :agree:

My cousin is over here just now from San Giovanni Valdarno just south of Florence. It's great to be able to speak Italian with her but it's really given me the itch to go back again. Three years is far too long a wait between visits.

Iggy Pope
19-09-2018, 07:05 AM
No bother. Sounds like you've been having a good time anyway. Pretty jealous to be honest. :agree:

My cousin is over here just now from San Giovanni Valdarno just south of Florence. It's great to be able to speak Italian with her but it's really given me the itch to go back again. Three years is far too long a wait between visits.

Do you have Italian background ODS?

I'm Spartacus
19-09-2018, 09:22 AM

Remember the English boy, Owen Hargreaves, plugged away in Germany unnoticed, plays 145 games for Munich, then signs for Man U and plays 27 games and a game for Man City and has to retire at like 32, I bet if he'd stayed in Germany he'd still be playing today aged 37! I'm sure he retired at 32.

PS - I know we're talking Scottish but i'm just saying how these guys should just stay if they're happy and settled!

I'm Spartacus
19-09-2018, 09:24 AM

Or is he just there for the Totti!!! :) (get it??!)

Saint Hibee
19-09-2018, 11:23 AM
40 -50 Euro for a seat in the Tribune. Got 20 Euro tickets in the Gradinate which is a concrete block not dissimilar to the adorable wee arrangement at Central Park stock cars. The game was largely ***** although the Pisa ultras did not stop from start to finish in the Curva. Unlikeable blue colours though.

That's pretty steep. I saw Napoli play twice last season while working in Naples; one ticket was €18, the other €24, both quite reasonable seats.

Iggy Pope
19-09-2018, 02:24 PM
That's pretty steep. I saw Napoli play twice last season while working in Naples; one ticket was €18, the other €24, both quite reasonable seats.

Bought from the club shop so they're legit prices. And steep!

Steven79
19-09-2018, 05:10 PM
Remember the English boy, Owen Hargreaves, plugged away in Germany unnoticed, plays 145 games for Munich, then signs for Man U and plays 27 games and a game for Man City and has to retire at like 32, I bet if he'd stayed in Germany he'd still be playing today aged 37! I'm sure he retired at 32.

PS - I know we're talking Scottish but i'm just saying how these guys should just stay if they're happy and settled!

He's not even English as he was born in Canada.

1van Sprou7e
19-09-2018, 05:13 PM

"I bet if he'd stayed in Germany he'd still be playing today aged 37! I'm sure he retired at 32"

What on earth is that based on? He had long term knee problems

Haymaker
20-09-2018, 01:41 AM
"I bet if he'd stayed in Germany he'd still be playing today aged 37! I'm sure he retired at 32"

What on earth is that based on? He had long term knee problems

Severe arthritis in one of not both, missed during his medical.

Shame, he was class.

Haymaker
20-09-2018, 01:43 AM
He's not even English as he was born in Canada.

Your birthplace does not dictate your nationality.

HoboHarry
20-09-2018, 02:38 AM
Your birthplace does not dictate your nationality.

100% correct. Both my kids were born in Scotland and left at a young age. My daughter will tell you she is a Scot but my son will tell you he is American.

I'm Spartacus
20-09-2018, 11:33 AM
Severe arthritis in one of not both, missed during his medical.

Shame, he was class.

Aye he was class, i thought they managed it well at Munich and he was a regular for years.

One Day Soon
20-09-2018, 11:49 AM

I do. Southern Italian on my mother's side (she was born there) so quite a few relatives in different parts of the country. I generally get back every four years or so which is way too little for my liking. It's really enjoyable to read about other people's experiences when they are in Italy though. I love returning there and every time I'm back in the village I feel completely at ease, perhaps because I was brought up in a family where Italian was spoken as much as English and at home a lot of our customs and food are Italian too.

Smartie
20-09-2018, 11:54 AM
The only time I've been to Italy was to the Scotland game in Bari a few years ago, and I absolutely loved the place. I've not been back again yet (I've been skint for the past decade) but I would love to see more of the country.

My grandad drove trucks in the army during the second world war and travelled far and wide across Europe at that time. His favourite place in the world was Tuscany, he absolutely adored it. I always found it quite unusual as he was a proper old-school Rangers loving bigot and I didn't think it would be his cup of tea, but there you go.

1van Sprou7e
20-09-2018, 01:00 PM
100% correct. Both my kids were born in Scotland and left at a young age. My daughter will tell you she is a Scot but my son will tell you he is American.

Get him telt

Iggy Pope
20-09-2018, 01:03 PM
I do. Southern Italian on my mother's side (she was born there) so quite a few relatives in different parts of the country. I generally get back every four years or so which is way too little for my liking. It's really enjoyable to read about other people's experiences when they are in Italy though. I love returning there and every time I'm back in the village I feel completely at ease, perhaps because I was brought up in a family where Italian was spoken as much as English and at home a lot of our customs and food are Italian too.

You are Sickboy and I claim my fiver!

HoboHarry
20-09-2018, 02:58 PM
Get him telt
He's as stubborn as his old man is......... :greengrin

Jamesie
20-09-2018, 04:15 PM

Juventus's demotion to Serie B about 12 years ago and the various other issues surrounding Italian football at the time are cited as a catalyst for the growth in support for Italian rugby: they sold 81k tickets for the San Siro v the All Blacks in 2009 and indeed 72k saw Italy defeat Scotland at the Stadio Olimpico in 2012. Attendances have waned as the product on the park has deteriorated but the football crisises really did act as a shot in the arm for Italian rugby

Jamesie
20-09-2018, 04:16 PM

Been to Pisa a few times and would echo all of this - a fairly compact city: you can walk from the airport to the train station in about 25 minutes!

Jamesie
20-09-2018, 04:18 PM

It's not the village of Picinisco by any chance?!

Flyman
22-09-2018, 01:42 PM
Hendo scores.

Aritch
23-09-2018, 02:43 PM
Highlights from Verona's 2-1 win at Crotone yesterday featuring Hendo opening the scoring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3w0uV07NBw

hibsbollah
23-09-2018, 02:51 PM
Highlights from Verona's 2-1 win at Crotone yesterday featuring Hendo opening the scoring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3w0uV07NBw

Nice. He really couldnt be in a better place. Regular game, scoring goals, beautiful city, World Cup winning legend as manager.

Aritch
28-10-2018, 06:02 AM
Hendo scored the equaliser (a stunning free kick) and set up the winner in yesterday's 2-1 home win over Perugia.

Highlights - https://youtu.be/BoKPUlkCp6U

renato
28-10-2018, 07:33 AM
It was an absolute screamer. The fans love him there, Grosso thinks very highly of him.

28-10-2018, 07:39 AM
Hendo scored the equaliser (a stunning free kick) and set up the winner in yesterday's 2-1 home win over Perugia.

Hendo delivers yet again. Gotta love the lad, great to see him doing well.

Thanks for posting it.

soupernashwan
28-10-2018, 08:03 AM

Lovely strike. Great to see him doing so well. And I've always had Perugia marked down as bad guys after the way they treated Ahn Jung Hwan. He scored against Italy in the 2002 World Cup and was released from the club as punishment!

Sammy7nil
28-10-2018, 08:16 AM
It's not the village of Picinisco by any chance?!

Lots of people from Edinburgh have houses there I know one of them :aok:

Smartie
28-10-2018, 08:17 AM
I actually thought the cross for the second (just after the equaliser on the highlights) was better than the strike for the free kick (which the keeper should really have done better with.)

The boy has some delivery on him.

It would be a big striker's dream to have crosses like that going in.

MWHIBBIES
28-10-2018, 08:23 AM
Lovely strike. Great to see him doing so well. And I've always had Perugia marked down as bad guys after the way they treated Ahn Jung Hwan. He scored against Italy in the 2002 World Cup and was released from the club as punishment!

Probably because that match was clearly fixed. Still a sore subject in Italy. Refereeing decisions were dreadful.

hibs#1
28-10-2018, 09:50 AM
Great to see the laddie do well for himself,surely should be getting a call up to the Scotland squad soon saying that it's probably more of a punishment just now.

Mibbes Aye
28-10-2018, 10:42 AM

Great to see him doing well. I would watch SJM if he was on a live TV game, Dylan too, but more than any ex-Hibs player I hope Liam succeeds.

Brave move testing yourself in Italian football, but he’s got form for a challenge having gone to play in Norway to develop and get first-team football.

Apart from his talent, I think it is just so evident how much he loves playing football.

Forza Hendo :greengrin