PDA

View Full Version : Best number 9 in the world

bingo70
08-09-2018, 05:41 PM
In the absence of any decent football chat during the international break I see Sky Sports seem to be focusing on Harry Kane being the best no 9 in the world.

IMO in the World Cup Mario Mandzukic absolutely schooled Harry Kane on how to play the number 9 role, do absolutely nowt all game but come to life when the ball comes into the box. Meanwhile Harry Kane was firing in crosses and winning tackles on the half way line.

Other players who I think could argue to be better than Kane would probably be Higuain and Lukaku but I also think the likes of Dzeko and possibly even Costa are more disciplined when it comes to knowing their role in the team as a proper number 9.

Anyone else I’ve missed?

None come close to the fat ronaldo as the best number 9 ever with Van Basten probably coming as a credible second in my lifetime.

SirDavidsNapper
08-09-2018, 05:41 PM
Rowan Vine

bingo70
08-09-2018, 05:43 PM
Rowan Vine

Now yer talking, talk of Chris Dagnal and Jonathon Johansson also got the juices flowing when mentioned earlier on this website but not heard either of them mentioned by SSN today.

Just Jimmy
08-09-2018, 05:46 PM
In the absence of any decent football chat during the international break I see Sky Sports seem to be focusing on Harry Kane being the best no 9 in the world.

IMO in the World Cup Mario Mandzukic absolutely schooled Harry Kane on how to play the number 9 role, do absolutely nowt all game but come to life when the ball comes into the box. Meanwhile Harry Kane was firing in crosses and winning tackles on the half way line.

Other players who I think could argue to be better than Kane would probably be Higuain and Lukaku but I also think the likes of Dzeko and possibly even Costa are more disciplined when it comes to knowing their role in the team as a proper number 9.

Anyone else I’ve missed?

None come close to the fat ronaldo as the best number 9 ever with Van Basten probably coming as a credible second in my lifetime.all cracking players.

yet Kane keeps scoring for fun in a top league and won the golden boot.

I'd take Kane before any of the current playing. I like Lukaku a lot too but I'd swap him for Kane.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

bingo70
08-09-2018, 05:48 PM
all cracking players.

yet Kane keeps scoring for fun in a top league and won the golden boot.

I'd take Kane before any of the current playing. I like Lukaku a lot too but I'd swap him for Kane.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Golden boot win was a bit ***** was it not though?

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to win it but was it not all penalties and goals against Panama and Tunisia, even one of them was a big deflection.

ScottB
08-09-2018, 05:49 PM
Aguero?

nellio
08-09-2018, 05:57 PM
Lewandowski for me.

BILLYHIBS
08-09-2018, 05:59 PM
“Do absolutely nowt all game but burst into life when the ball comes into the box”

I give you HIBS #9 JAMIE MACLAREN !

:not worth

bingo70
08-09-2018, 06:00 PM
Lewandowski for me.

Good shout.

I don’t watch much of Man City but is Aguero not more of a number 10? Likes to drop deep and pop up on the wings?

Picking the best world side Kane certainly wouldn’t get in my first 11.

shetlandhibee
08-09-2018, 06:25 PM
Ronaldo if he swapped 7 for 9 on his shirt ... Aguero IMO the best number 9 in world just now,,,

EH54
08-09-2018, 06:28 PM

Anyone else I’ve missed?

None come close to the fat ronaldo as the best number 9 ever with Van Basten probably coming as a credible second in my lifetime.

Mandzukic and doing nothing? He's one of the hardest working forwards in the world imo. Falcao at his peak is a shout, right now Kane is up there with the likes of lewandowski, cavani and Aguero, football has changed a lot forwards are expected to do a lot more than pop up in the box.

DetroitHibs
08-09-2018, 06:29 PM
Zlatan, still one of the best.

Del Boy
08-09-2018, 06:31 PM
Aguero

Danderhall Hibs
08-09-2018, 06:36 PM
Golden boot win was a bit ***** was it not though?

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to win it but was it not all penalties and goals against Panama and Tunisia, even one of them was a big deflection.

:agree: no denying he scored more than everyone else but all but one was in the group stages and as you say one of them clipped him on the way in. If it wasn’t him (and he hadn’t caused all that fuss about the goal when he didn’t touch the ball) then whoever hit the shot would’ve been credited with that goal.

Since90+2
08-09-2018, 06:53 PM
Kane , Lewandowski and Suarez are the top 3 IMO.

Costa as well on his day is a cracking player and must be a nightmare to play against.

PatHead
08-09-2018, 07:23 PM
Interesting watching Kane tonight against Spain. Not really shown much so far.
If he is a genuine world class player he has a chance to show it tonight

Since90+2
08-09-2018, 07:26 PM
Interesting watching Kane tonight against Spain. Not really shown much so far.
If he is a genuine world class player he has a chance to show it tonight

It's a glorified friendly.

matty_f
08-09-2018, 07:27 PM
Not sure if he's actually a number 9 but I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Morelos yet...

Ah, it's because he's pish, isn't it?

Pedantic_Hibee
08-09-2018, 07:32 PM
Gabriel Batistuta. Now there was a number 9.

heidtheba
08-09-2018, 07:32 PM
In terms of striker role (as I'm not too sure on the specific merits of the '9' shirt),

Van Basten
Ronaldo
Shevchenko
Weah

But I'd probably go for Batistuta

leither17
08-09-2018, 07:33 PM
Brian Graham

heidtheba
08-09-2018, 07:33 PM
Gabriel Batistuta. Now there was a number 9.

So sad to hear how he is now. Really makes you wonder who will be next with that problem.

hibbydog
08-09-2018, 07:34 PM
Eduardo Hurtardo

PatHead
08-09-2018, 07:35 PM

Might be but he is playing against top quality defenders.

I always thought it was notable that no big club went after him following the WC finals. He appears to only score goals and not add much else to the team.

If he is going to be rated along with the other players mentioned, he needs to add more to his game.

Danderhall Hibs
08-09-2018, 07:36 PM

Is he wearing his golden boots tonight?

bingo70
08-09-2018, 07:37 PM
I could be wrong with this as I don’t really study English football too closely but to me it looks like Kane is a very effective number 9 If his team is dominating, in games like that he’s always likely to score.

If his team is struggling a bit though he seems unlikely to get his team out of jail.

bingo70
08-09-2018, 07:38 PM
So sad to hear how he is now. Really makes you wonder who will be next with that problem.

What’s up with Batistuta?

Great player.

Michael
08-09-2018, 07:39 PM

I always thought it was notable that no big club went after him following the WC finals. He appears to only score goals and not add much else to the team.

If he is going to be rated along with the other players mentioned, he needs to add more to his game.

He was excellent against Colombia.

Pedantic_Hibee
08-09-2018, 07:39 PM
What’s up with Batistuta?

Great player.

Can barely walk these days. Begged a doctor to amputate his legs a couple of years ago.

bingo70
08-09-2018, 07:43 PM
Can barely walk these days. Begged a doctor to amputate his legs a couple of years ago.

****, that’s terrible to hear.

Right handsome ******* he was as well (and probably still is to be fair). What is actually wrong with his legs?

Jackh
08-09-2018, 07:47 PM
Zlatan, still one of the best.

Nope

Since90+2
08-09-2018, 07:50 PM

We don't know if any big clubs went for him after the World Cup , just because it wasn't reported in the press doesn't mean there wasn't interest.

If I was having a punt on it I'd be betting that Europe's biggest clubs did enquire about him but were told not for sale at the moment or more likely IMO Kane himself wanted to stay another year or two at Spurs as he's a massive Tottenham fan and will likely want to plan at the new stadium.

BILLYHIBS
08-09-2018, 07:54 PM
I remember Alan Gordon was selected to play centre forward for the Rest of the World against England around about the same time that he was in the running for the Golden Boot which was a big thing back in the day

Greentinted
08-09-2018, 07:55 PM
****, that’s terrible to hear.

Right handsome ******* he was as well (and probably still is to be fair). What is actually wrong with his legs?

From goal.com

“Years of hard running and brutal defensive attention, however took its toll on the long-haired assassin. Football left him with a chronic ankle problem, aggravated presumably by years of playing with the aid of cortisone injections, which caused him so much pain he once asked his personal physician to “cut them both off, like [South African athlete Oscar] Pistorius”.
“There is no cartilage or tendons left in there. My 86 kilos are balancing on bone, and that causes me great pain.” That drastic situation was averted, but Bati was forced to cut short his polo career and pursue a more sedate post-football life.“

PatHead
08-09-2018, 07:57 PM
We don't know if any big clubs went for him after the World Cup , just because it wasn't reported in the press doesn't mean there wasn't interest.

If I was having a punt on it I'd be betting that Europe's biggest clubs did enquire about him but were told not for sale at the moment or more likely IMO Kane himself wanted to stay another year or two at Spurs as he's a massive Tottenham fan and will likely want to plan at the new stadium.

The likes of Real Madrid don’t take an interest in whether a player is for sale. They just unsettle them until they get their way. Anyway I am sure if there had been interest in the England captain it would have been all over the news.

Pete70
08-09-2018, 08:00 PM
I think this depends on what generation you're from but for me the best #9 ever was "Der Bomber"

Since90+2
08-09-2018, 08:06 PM
The likes of Real Madrid don’t take an interest in whether a player is for sale. They just unsettle them until they get their way. Anyway I am sure if there had been interest in the England captain it would have been all over the news.

Just because the likes of me and you don't know the inner transfer dealings of Tottenham Hotspur doesn't mean there was no interest in Harry Kane.

In fact I'd say it's naive in the extreme to think that given his goalscoring record over the past few years that no "big" club took an interest in signing him. The press only get told what clubs want them to hear these days , it might be that it's in the interest of Spurs and an other club to potentially keep any interest quiet until such time as Kane decides to move on i.e. next summer.

Edit - A quick google search of Harry Kane Real Madrid brings up numerous articles in the "news" of Kane being wanted by Real. If that's sufficient for it to be taken seriously then they must have wanted him. I personally don't believe the newspapers have anything like the access or knowledge they used to have of transfer dealings at that level beyond what the clubs want or don't want them to know.

ac1
08-09-2018, 08:23 PM
Probably never gets the limelight so much because of being overshadowed by Ronaldo but Benzama for me is up there as the best number 9 in the world. I know off the field he is not the nicest of characters hence not getting picked for France but in terms of link up play and ability he is different class. Gets his fair share of goals as well.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
08-09-2018, 09:13 PM

Anyone else I’ve missed?

I think mandzukic largely plays wide for juve, so maybe not a great example!

I would say aguero, lewandowski, Ronaldo, and Kane off the top of my head.

Also, forgot about costa- panto villain but A formidable player.

Don't see higuain at that level, tseems to go missing or fluff his lines too often in big games - also seems very immobile (that could just be a perception thing given his shape).

bingo70
08-09-2018, 09:19 PM
I think mandzukic largely plays wide for juve, so maybe not a great example!

I would say aguero, lewandowski, Ronaldo, and Kane off the top of my head.

To be fair I was basing that assessment purely on that game where I felt he did very little but was very effective popping up where it matters, unlike Kane who seemed to keep popping up everywhere apart from doing anything where it mattered.

Someone else said similar to you about Mandzukic so it sounds like you’re right about him being a bad example.

WeeRussell
08-09-2018, 09:29 PM
Only my humble and poor opinion but I don’t think kane’s even close to the best striker in his league never mind Europe/the world. Give me Sergio Aguero before him every day of the week and twice on a Saturday.

Lewandowski and Suarez amongst others I’d also prefer.

He’s still no bad mine!

frazeHFC
08-09-2018, 10:54 PM
Suarez and Aguero are incredible players, Lewandowski's more of an old fashioned number 9. Would make some strike force them 3.

Lancs Harp
08-09-2018, 11:14 PM
Jamie Maclaren, Thread closed.

bigwheel
09-09-2018, 12:06 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180909/a785245624ccd0a141c9e15ac923726f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yonder1875
09-09-2018, 04:40 AM
Luis Suarez is in decline a little now but at his peak for me he was a bit better than Kane.

Today I would have Edinson Cavani over Kane every day of the week. This may sound daft but I’d like to see Kane at one of the worlds top clubs competing for major honours to see how he would get on.

Karim Benzema is criminally underrated because he is usually overshadowed by Ronaldo and Bale at RM.

And finally, if Mbappe is switched back to CF where he played at Monaco I think he’d wipe the floor with them all.

Nevi_SOL
09-09-2018, 06:01 AM
Brian Graham

Bangkok Hibby
09-09-2018, 07:34 AM
Bobby Charlton :wink:

Smartie
09-09-2018, 08:18 AM
I think Kane is a class act and he carries club and country.

Yes, he's the best number 9 in the world and by some distance.

BILLYHIBS
09-09-2018, 08:32 AM

Some photy that!

That was the image I was looking for for the best HIBS strip thread.

No a bad player either majestic in the air!

bigwheel
09-09-2018, 08:50 AM
Some photy that!

It’s perfect isn’t it..My childhood hero...not just the best ever Hibs strip that - but the best football strip ever [emoji7][emoji106]

andrew70
09-09-2018, 09:06 AM
Mario Gomez

Bostonhibby
09-09-2018, 09:14 AM
Joe Baker

A big gap.....

Batistuta, Gerd Muller and Aguero

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Winston Ingram
09-09-2018, 09:24 AM
I think Kane is a class act and he carries club and country.

Yes, he's the best number 9 in the world and by some distance.

This. Putting a side his goals record, his all round game is superb.

blackpoolhibs
09-09-2018, 09:29 AM
Some photy that!

That is the colour a Hibs strip should always be, we've gone lighter over the years, but for me that should be the template we work off for each new strip we bring out every season.

And if we could lose the white sleeves, for me it would just be perfect. :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
09-09-2018, 09:34 AM
That is the colour a Hibs strip should always be, we've gone lighter over the years, but for me that should be the template we work off for each new strip we bring out every season.

And if we could lose the white sleeves, for me it would just be perfect. :greengrin
Ha Ha! I thought you might say that! 😂

It was you I was thinking of when I was searching for the image I agree the shade of green is spot on we will just have to agree to differ on the sleeves 😁👍🏾🇳🇬🏆⚽️

heretoday
09-09-2018, 09:36 AM
Some photy that!

The best strip. No need for badges or anything.

blackpoolhibs
09-09-2018, 09:41 AM
Ha Ha! I thought you might say that! 😂

It was you I was thinking of when I was searching for the image I agree the shade of green is spot on we will just have to agree to differ on the sleeves 😁👍🏾🇳🇬🏆⚽️

I dont mind the white sleeves, im just not as attached to them as the majority are. :greengrin And that colour is just the best in my opinion, why we've gone lighter since then is beyond me? :confused:

That picture of Alan Gordon and the one i put up of Jimmy O'Rourke are iconic Hibs photo's for me, and none of those strips since have stood out in my opinion.

Especially since we've started putting adverts all over the front, or stripes on the sleeves. :grr:

bigwheel
09-09-2018, 09:46 AM
I dont mind the white sleeves, im just not as attached to them as the majority are. :greengrin And that colour is just the best in my opinion, why we've gone lighter since then is beyond me? :confused:

That picture of Alan Gordon and the one i put up of Jimmy O'Rourke are iconic Hibs photo's for me, and none of those strips since have stood out in my opinion.

Especially since we've started putting adverts all over the front, or stripes on the sleeves. :grr:

not getting in to the sleeves debate...but agree on the colour. That for me is our strip...it should always be that or a variation thereof...

BILLYHIBS
09-09-2018, 09:48 AM

I agree the all green top looked class for one off European games just looked total quality !

As another poster has already pointed out you don’t need badges or anything !

Eyrie
09-09-2018, 12:28 PM
:na na:

BILLYHIBS
09-09-2018, 10:10 PM

Its a belter!

Squealing pig
09-09-2018, 10:37 PM
Dirk Lehmann

Renfrew_Hibby
10-09-2018, 09:08 AM
[QUOTE=yonder1875;5545731]Luis Suarez is in decline a little now but at his peak for me he was a bit better than Kane.

Today I would have Edinson Cavani over Kane every day of the week. This may sound daft but I’d like to see Kane at one of the worlds top clubs competing for major honours to see how he would get on.

Karim Benzema is criminally underrated because he is usually overshadowed by Ronaldo and Bale at RM.

And finally, if Mbappe is switched back to CF where he played at Monaco I think he’d wipe the floor with them all

Mbappe will be the global superstar of football over the next decade in the same way that Messi and Cristiano have been in the last.
Sure Kane is a class act and has the ability to carry club and country but the boy Mbappe is something else.

PatHead
10-09-2018, 09:55 AM
This. Putting a side his goals record, his all round game is superb.

To be fair I don’t look out for Spurs if they are on tv. I have seen him play for England often enough and Spurs on occasion though.

I don’t really see the superb all round game though. He is talented and I wish he was Scottish for his goalscoring ability. I can’t think of a game he has grabbed by the scruff of the neck like Beckham would do for England.

jacomo
10-09-2018, 05:42 PM
Mario Gomez

What about him?

Michael
10-09-2018, 10:17 PM
To be fair I don’t look out for Spurs if they are on tv. I have seen him play for England often enough and Spurs on occasion though.

I don’t really see the superb all round game though. He is talented and I wish he was Scottish for his goalscoring ability. I can’t think of a game he has grabbed by the scruff of the neck like Beckham would do for England.

I agree. Kane is brilliant, but he looks a bit clumsy on the ball.

Barman Stanton
11-09-2018, 08:07 AM
At the moment Lewandowski for me. Of all time in my life time I would go with Marco Van Basten. He was basically the template for the modern no. 9. Incredible what he achieved considering he had to retire at 28.

calumhibee1
11-09-2018, 08:39 AM

He’s not got a superb all round game but he’s a superb all round goal scorer. Can score right foot, left foot, headers, tap ins, screamers, volleys. When it comes to scoring goals he’s incredible.

PatHead
11-09-2018, 08:42 AM
He’s not got a superb all round game but he’s a superb all round goal scorer. Can score right foot, left foot, headers, tap ins, screamers, volleys. When it comes to scoring goals he’s incredible.

Can’t disagree with that.

JimBHibees
11-09-2018, 11:00 AM
Luis Suarez is in decline a little now but at his peak for me he was a bit better than Kane.

And finally, if Mbappe is switched back to CF where he played at Monaco I think he’d wipe the floor with them all

Mbappe will be the global superstar of football over the next decade in the same way that Messi and Cristiano have been in the last.
Sure Kane is a class act and has the ability to carry club and country but the boy Mbappe is something else.

Not so sure about that. Mbappe is obviously hugely talented and an amazing athlete however dont see the same level of quality as the players you mention particularly Messi, think his finishing is very hit and miss for example and game built on pace as opposed to Messi for example.

WeeRussell
11-09-2018, 11:21 AM
Not so sure about that. Mbappe is obviously hugely talented and an amazing athlete however dont see the same level of quality as the players you mention particularly Messi, think his finishing is very hit and miss for example and game built on pace as opposed to Messi for example.

I agree in that I don't think anyone will be as good as Messi for as long as I live.. but I think RH was simply meaning when Messi and Ronaldo aren't around in the years to come.. Mbappe will be the talked about star of the world.

The young lad looks superb and has time on his hands for improvement.

Pedantic_Hibee
11-09-2018, 07:37 PM
Alan Shearer.

eastmainsmsh
12-09-2018, 08:32 AM
Andy Cole

jgl07
12-09-2018, 09:54 AM
Good shout.

I don’t watch much of Man City but is Aguero not more of a number 10? Likes to drop deep and pop up on the wings?

That's what a number 9 should do.

City play Aguero (or Gabriel Jesus) as number 9. David Silva and Kevin De Bruyne both play as number 10s.

jacomo
12-09-2018, 11:02 AM
Andy Cole

This thread is getting silly.

WeeRussell
12-09-2018, 11:27 AM
That's what a number 9 should do.

City play Aguero (or Gabriel Jesus) as number 9. David Silva and Kevin De Bruyne both play as number 10s.

:agree: Most definitely a striker. And easily the best in that league in my opinion.

hibsbollah
12-09-2018, 01:03 PM
Kanes goals to shots ratio isn't that great, Spurs create a hat full of chances which is why hes always there or thereabouts for the golden boot. Salah scored more with less chances and doesn't seem to have dips and troughs throughout the season.. Both are great players but not the best.

Agree with the Mbappe shout, hes at the very top of the world game at the moment. He looks like Pele in style and can beat you with pace power and skill. And he's still just a bairn. Lewandowskis past his absolute best IMO.

BILLYHIBS
12-09-2018, 01:11 PM
Joe Baker or Lawrie Reilly flip a coin or better still a half each :thumbsup:

Keith_M
12-09-2018, 01:20 PM
I realise it was only in Scotland, but Henrik Larsson used to single handedly win games for Celtc.

They'd be playing total crap for 89 minutes then the wee git* would pop up out of nowhere with the winning goal.

That's a real Number 9.

* I obviously use the term 'wee git' in a complimentary way...

Baader
12-09-2018, 02:06 PM
Kane gets tested more than Lewandowski does. Probably more than half of the others teams in the Bundseliga are a stroll in the park for Bayern. Great goalscorer and a shame he had such a miserable World Cup. His first and could well be his last.

I agree that Mbappe is going to be the successor to Messi and Ronaldo. He's frighteningly good.

Scouse Hibee
12-09-2018, 06:38 PM
Ian Rush

Smartie
12-09-2018, 06:41 PM
I realise it was only in Scotland, but Henrik Larsson used to single handedly win games for Celtc.

They'd be playing total crap for 89 minutes then the wee git* would pop up out of nowhere with the winning goal.

That's a real Number 9.

Funnily enough I never thought he was all that special against Hibs. He did most of his damage against other teams.

Pierre van Hooijdonk always seemed to destroy us, he is the Celtc player who has impressed me most.

Bostonhibby
12-09-2018, 07:28 PM
Ian RushI'd agree too.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Eyrie
12-09-2018, 08:19 PM

That's a real Number 9.

I preferred it when Larsson provided an assist for the winning goal.

OxoHibby
12-09-2018, 10:04 PM
Alan Shearer.

Quite simply this

OxoHibby
12-09-2018, 10:05 PM
Ian Rush

Kenny made him

Scouse Hibee
12-09-2018, 10:11 PM
Kenny made him

Not quite, King Kenny created many of the chances but Rushie was some finisher.

EH54
13-09-2018, 12:23 AM
The boy Torres was some player, as was Ruud van nistelrooy.

yonder1875
13-09-2018, 02:53 AM
The boy Torres was some player, as was Ruud van nistelrooy.

If we’re going by English Premier League era, has to be Thierry Henry and his mate Dennis Bergkamp was probably the best to watch, the best first touch in football!

I actually think Torres only had one exceptional season at Liverpool.

bigwheel
13-09-2018, 03:24 AM
If we’re going by English Premier League era, has to be Thierry Henry and his mate Dennis Bergkamp was probably the best to watch, the best first touch in football!

I actually think Torres only had one exceptional season at Liverpool.

What a pairing that was....imagine the fees they would go for now in their prime....

BILLYHIBS
13-09-2018, 06:37 AM
I was convinced a young Gordon Durie looked the real deal after we knocked all the rough edges off him and got him a sprinting coach. He was fast strong brave good in the air and could score goals then he got tapped up and starting limping at the half way line looking disinterested :confused:

HairyBrain
13-09-2018, 02:57 PM
Keith Wright was the first striker I idolised.

As I started to expand my footballing horizons Batistuta and fat Ronaldo and as a pure goal scorer Ruud van Nistelrooy.

Now, meh, Kamberi has it all for me.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

yonder1875
13-09-2018, 03:03 PM
What a pairing that was....imagine the fees they would go for now in their prime....

Ridiculous fees would need to be paid in today’s money.

But money wasn’t as big a factor when they were both at Arsenal. I know Henry went to Barca but wasn’t he around 30 by that time? If two players of that class were around today I think they’d already be signed up to PSG/Real/Barca for astronomical fees ala Neymar fee.