PDA

View Full Version : Wee visit to watch Sunderland today

eastcoasthibby
08-09-2018, 01:59 PM
Dylan starts yesss ..lets see how this goes !!

eastcoasthibby
08-09-2018, 03:00 PM
For players that get paid multiple thousands of pounds a week this is poor, we should never accept and challenge anyone sayiing our football is inferior to this over hyped stuff.
Its fair to say that they have the same problem here with match officials being awful as we do ... one linesman alone has got 4 important decisions wrong a booking that wasn't a foul, a corner didnt give it , sunderland goal -player assist was a yard at least off...and its just half time .
Dyaln playing ongside Cattermole ...showing bits of himself, I couldnt watch this style of play every week ...

leither17
08-09-2018, 03:01 PM
Scott Allan is in the crowd at Charlton today

Billy Whizz
08-09-2018, 03:37 PM

Can the likes of Charlton still get loans in?

Heisenberg
08-09-2018, 03:54 PM

He’s down visiting one of his friends that plays for Charlton.

Sir David Gray
08-09-2018, 04:09 PM
Can the likes of Charlton still get loans in?

No their deadline for loan signings was 31st August.

weecounty hibby
08-09-2018, 04:48 PM
For players that get paid multiple thousands of pounds a week this is poor, we should never accept and challenge anyone sayiing our football is inferior to this over hyped stuff.
Its fair to say that they have the same problem here with match officials being awful as we do ... one linesman alone has got 4 important decisions wrong a booking that wasn't a foul, a corner didnt give it , sunderland goal -player assist was a yard at least off...and its just half time .
Dyaln playing ongside Cattermole ...showing bits of himself, I couldnt watch this style of play every week ...
I've said for a long long time now that just because these guys get paid 5,6,7 times what our players get paid it doesn't mean they are 5,6,7 times better. There are some bang average players who are multi millionaires simply because they have played in England

Billy Whizz
08-09-2018, 04:55 PM

How did Dylan play?

matty_f
08-09-2018, 05:25 PM
How did Dylan play?

Had a wee look at the Sunderland forum, Ready to Go, and from the thread on him there he's not doing too much to win the fans over.

SirDavidsNapper
08-09-2018, 05:27 PM
Had a wee look at the Sunderland forum, Ready to Go, and from the thread on him there he's not doing too much to win the fans over.

Yup. A few saying he's crap. Grass isn't always greener.

Since90+2
08-09-2018, 05:31 PM

It likely will be if you're earning 3 or 4 times what your previous employer was paying you.

SirDavidsNapper
08-09-2018, 05:40 PM
It likely will be if your earning 3 or 4 times what your previous employer was paying you.

True

eastcoasthibby
08-09-2018, 05:51 PM
Nothing much usual tidy in possession, no telling passes ..has a fair bit of crap around him in that team.

johnbc70
08-09-2018, 05:52 PM
I am sure Dylan made the choice that was right for him, but today he was playing against Fleetwood when you could argue he could of been playing against Hazard and Lukakau last night if he had stayed at Hibs and started the season well.

worcesterhibby
08-09-2018, 05:59 PM
It likely will be if you're earning 3 or 4 times what your previous employer was paying you.

Grass really greener ? Depends what you want from life...I know lots of people who earn 4 times more than me that are miserable as sin, divorced, stressed and verging on depression.

A footballers career may be short, but they should be 12-15 years of happiness, getting to play the game you love, full of highs and great memories that also earn you a handsome wage. I don't think there is any doubt that last season with Hibs was the happiest and most fulfilling of his career. Playing well, mostly injury free, adored by the fans and playing in a successful team with a great dressing room atmosphere. He now has more money in his pocket and none of that. I don't see that as greener grass. More lucrative maybe.

bingo70
08-09-2018, 06:04 PM
Grass really greener ? Depends what you want from life...I know lots of people who earn 4 times more than me that are miserable as sin, divorced, stressed and verging on depression.

A footballers career may be short, but they should be 12-15 years of happiness, getting to play the game you love, full of highs and great memories that also earn you a handsome wage. I don't think there is any doubt that last season with Hibs was the happiest and most fulfilling of his career. Playing well, mostly injury free, adored by the fans and playing in a successful team with a great dressing room atmosphere. He now has more money in his pocket and none of that. I don't see that as greener grass. More lucrative maybe.

Good post.

The only thing I’d say though is that I think he’d achieved all he was likely to with Hibs. Won a cup, got promoted, played in Europe, won an international cap......

I think if he didn’t move this season he’d have spent the rest of his life wondering ‘what if’.

Imo this was the right time for him to move, whether Sunderland was the right move for him is a different matter altogether.

Since90+2
08-09-2018, 06:15 PM

Looking at subjectively you could argue the opposite and say he could have stayed and we struggle this season and end up 5th or 6th whereas he has moved on and playing for a team with a huge support in a massive stadium and could potentially be playing in one of the most competitive leagues in the world next season with the 5th highest average attendance in the world. And then you add in the fact that his contract with Sunderland will likely mean he will never need to work again when he retires and can provide a fantastic living for his family.

I can see why he done it and I'm sure he won't be losing any sleep over it.

Smartie
08-09-2018, 06:23 PM

That forum can be a bit mental.

They were happy enough with McGeouch throughout pre-season, then he got injured and today was his first start after injury.

He might have a job on his hands as there is some absolute rubbish in that Sunderland team. It will be quite a step down for him to go from playing with John McGinn to playing with Lee Cattermole.

There will be big pressure on them to win at a canter every week, and they won't take kindly to setbacks. Fleetwood have started the season well and that game was no gimme, but they'll probably be tearing strips off each other on that forum just because they didn't win today.

I do think they'll win the league, and given the re-build they've had to do they've not started all that badly.

J-C
08-09-2018, 06:30 PM
Sometimes money isn't everything, the enjoyment you get playing for a team who's fans love you and a management/board who want you. He was getting regular International squad call ups and was when fit one of the 1st teams on the team sheet. Personally I think he's made a mistake and may rue it but it's his choice.

Bob Box Fish
08-09-2018, 06:35 PM
I moved up from the north east recently and had worked with Sunderland season ticket holders and they are not impressed so far
with Mcgeough. It’s too early too call IMO as he’s recently returned from injury. They are saying any team that plays at the stadium of light it is like a cup final to them.

Ryan69
08-09-2018, 06:35 PM
I am sure Dylan made the choice that was right for him, but today he was playing against Fleetwood when you could argue he could of been playing against Hazard and Lukakau last night if he had stayed at Hibs and started the season well.

Financially it was right.

But playing in the third tier of football...is definately not the right choice!

Cardinal G
08-09-2018, 07:58 PM
Dylan starts yesss ..lets see how this goes !!

I'm a bit unique here in that whilst I live here in Gateshead and have a Hibs season ticket when Hibs aren't home I watch Sunderland and have a season ticket there as well.
5 years ago not one Hibs player would have got in the Sunderland team, then both teams fortunes changed and I'm confident in saying in the past two seasons every Hibs player is a starter for sunderland and that's still the case this season.
Dylan actually started on Tuesday and is settling in ok, problem for me is that he's too similiar to the way Cattermole plays now, what Dylan needs to thrive is an attacking midfielder to allow him to do the dirty work like he did last season for McGinn with many outside Hibs not giving him the credit he deserved, arguably he was our player of the season last year.
Sunderland are a work in progress and I'm hopefully along with Dylan they will improve as the season progresses.
One thing going well for club is the fans are back onside and 29k today is testimony to that after years of utter tripe.

3pm
08-09-2018, 09:19 PM
Come back Dylan.

SirDavidsNapper
09-09-2018, 07:33 AM
If Sunderland dont go up Ross will be out on his arse, a new manager will come in, revamp the squad and Dylan will end up back in Scotland. Hope it works out for him down there but not sure he picked the right club. How he's ended up a league below McGinn is mental. He's not done much for his international chances either.

danhibees1875
09-09-2018, 08:26 AM
Looking at subjectively you could argue the opposite and say he could have stayed and we struggle this season and end up 5th or 6th whereas he has moved on and playing for a team with a huge support in a massive stadium and could potentially be playing in one of the most competitive leagues in the world next season with the 5th highest average attendance in the world. And then you add in the fact that his contract with Sunderland will likely mean he will never need to work again when he retires and can provide a fantastic living for his family.

I can see why he done it and I'm sure he won't be losing any sleep over it.

That sums up what I think of the move. :agree: A lot of people assuming he's sad about missing the chance to get beat by Livi.

There's huge potential for him at Sunderland, they should be challenging at the top end of the championship.

superfurryhibby
09-09-2018, 08:59 AM
Sometimes money isn't everything, the enjoyment you get playing for a team who's fans love you and a management/board who want you. He was getting regular International squad call ups and was when fit one of the 1st teams on the team sheet. Personally I think he's made a mistake and may rue it but it's his choice.

Football fans are fickle and Dylan was an injury away from being a waste of a wage etc, etc. Management also changes , as does personnel. Last season he was oartnered by John McGinn, this season it would be Stevie Mallan, some difference there.

Dylan was called up to one international squad which was for some end of season meaningless development games. If he does well at Sunderland then he’ll be back in the frame. As it stands he has barely featured due to, you guessed it, injury.

It was a no brainer decision.

CMurdoch
09-09-2018, 10:45 AM
Football fans are fickle and Dylan was an injury away from being a waste of a wage etc, etc. Management also changes , as does personnel. Last season he was oartnered by John McGinn, this season it would be Stevie Mallan, some difference there.

Dylan was called up to one international squad which was for some end of season meaningless development games. If he does well at Sunderland then he’ll be back in the frame. As it stands he has barely featured due to, you guessed it, injury.

It was a no brainer decision.

Good post.
Exactly what you would have said to to Dylan if you were in his corner in the summer.

erin go bragh
09-09-2018, 11:18 AM
Dylan and Scott Allan signing for us in Jan 😜 You heard it here first 😜

Weegreenman
09-09-2018, 04:22 PM
Can’t say that I grudge Dylan moving on but I do wish he’d gone to a bigger club than bloody Sunderland 🙄

I do miss watching the wee guy. Special player on his day. #Legend

Onceinawhile
09-09-2018, 05:29 PM
Can’t say that I grudge Dylan moving on but I do wish he’d gone to a bigger club than bloody Sunderland 🙄

I do miss watching the wee guy. Special player on his day. #Legend

There's not a huge amount of clubs bigger than Sunderland in England and most of them will be in the premiership.

Just because they're currently pish doesn't mean they're a wee team.

Since90+2
09-09-2018, 05:43 PM
There's not a huge amount of clubs bigger than Sunderland in England and most of them will be in the premiership.

Just because they're currently pish doesn't mean they're a wee team.

Yip. Sunderland had an attendance of 29,000 on Saturday playing against Fleetwood Town in the English third tier. You don't have that level of support without being a big club. If Hibs were playing at the same level in Scotland we'd probably be getting around 6k.

You can also point to the fact that they have about 300,000 more Twitter followers than Celtic.

SirDavidsNapper
09-09-2018, 05:49 PM
Yip. Sunderland had an attendance of 29,000 on Saturday playing against Fleetwood Town in the English third tier. You don't have that level of support without being a big club. If Hibs were playing at the same level in Scotland we'd probably be getting around 6k.

You can also point to the fact that they have about 300,000 more Twitter followers than Celtic.

Attendances mean nothing. They won their last major trophy in 1973 and the last top league title was pre war. The only thing of note Sunderland have done in 50 years is move to a huge stadium they cant fill.

Since90+2
09-09-2018, 06:19 PM
Attendances mean nothing. They won their last major trophy in 1973 and the last top league title was pre war. The only thing of note Sunderland have done in 50 years is move to a huge stadium they cant fill.

I think the fact they can still get almost 30,000 fans at a game in the third tier despite winning nothing proves how big a club they are. They are a bigger club than Hibs by some distance , let's be honest about that.

Cod Boy
09-09-2018, 06:34 PM
Was at the game yesterday Fleetwood played very well and Sunderland looked ordinary. Don’t think they will win the league.

SirDavidsNapper
09-09-2018, 06:54 PM
I think the fact they can still get almost 30,000 fans at a game in the third tier despite winning nothing proves how big a club they are. They are a bigger club than Hibs by some distance , let's be honest about that.

To me Sunderland are a 3rd division English club who just drew with Fleetwood at home and haven't won anything in a generation. Yes they have a big fanbase and can pay a lot more than Hibs but its all relative to the countries both clubs play in. Hibs are much bigger in Scotland than Sunderland are in England.

eastcoasthibby
09-09-2018, 07:34 PM
Big big club Sunderland but in a massive slump and dont think what they have playing for them will see them go up. A few fans I spoke to yesterday have real doubts that they think Jack Ross is the manager they need to get them there......

cleanyman
09-09-2018, 07:52 PM
To me Sunderland are a 3rd division English club who just drew with Fleetwood at home and haven't won anything in a generation. Yes they have a big fanbase and can pay a lot more than Hibs but its all relative to the countries both clubs play in. Hibs are much bigger in Scotland than Sunderland are in England.

Are Hearts a bigger club than Hibs

Lancs Harp
09-09-2018, 08:07 PM

I think thats a fair and very interesting point.

Eyrie
09-09-2018, 09:38 PM

So we're a big fish in a small pond and they're a small fish in a big pond.

Problem is that even a small fish down there is the size of our big fish because of the TV money they're swimming in.

Smartie
09-09-2018, 10:15 PM
Sunderland might turn out to be a good move for a player who served us well, and we should hope it works out for him.

DstN75
11-09-2018, 03:03 PM

Good post, all true. Not necessarily an argument for Dylan to have stayed at Hibs though.

DstN75
11-09-2018, 03:09 PM

On that basis if Vikingur Gota of the Faroes had tabled a bid for Dylan he should have gone there!

Sunderland are in a terrible slump but they have huge resources and new owners. They have been terribly run for years and it's not unreasonably optimistic to expect this to be the bottom of the downswing and for the club to be back in the top tier and going on cup runs etc fairly soon. If things go equally well for Hibs on our own terms I guess that would equate to us maybe winning the cup again. And Dylan's already done that.

HH81
16-11-2018, 06:50 PM
Going tomorrow to the game.

Staying over in Newcastle so hoping for a decent game.

HibbyDave
16-11-2018, 07:46 PM
Pint in The Grange pre match if you get off Metro one stop before the stadium of light

HH81
16-11-2018, 07:47 PM
Pint in The Grange pre match if you get off Metro one stop before the stadium of light

Cheers. Going with a Sunderland fan so hopefully he will know where to have a drink. Will mention it though.

Iggy Pope
16-11-2018, 09:37 PM
Cheers. Going with a Sunderland fan so hopefully he will know where to have a drink. Will mention it though.

Don't know if Idols is still on the go....those were some places in the North East!

Smartie
16-11-2018, 10:16 PM
Don't know if Idols is still on the go....those were some places in the North East!

Idols in Newcastle was outstanding.

I remember going to a 70s night in there with a DJ called Sammy Shortshaft, and it was one of the funniest and best nights out I ever had.

Cod Boy
16-11-2018, 10:48 PM
Pub a couple of minutes walk from stadium of light station called the wheatchef. Had a comedian guy upstairs which is good fun.

Cardinal G
17-11-2018, 01:39 AM
Pub a couple of minutes walk from stadium of light station called the wheatchef. Had a comedian guy upstairs which is good fun.

Aye he is called wee phillie, big sunderland fan.

Quite a few clips on you tube give you a flavour of his show.

Wasn't sure of him at first but I've warmed to him, takes the piss a fair bit but also laughs at himself.

Hibrandenburg
17-11-2018, 02:39 AM
I've just read that the Spice Girls will be playing at the Stadium of Light on the 6th of June 2019. Should be an easy 3 points for them.

Keith_M
17-11-2018, 11:23 AM
I've just read that the Spice Girls will be playing at the Stadium of Light on the 6th of June 2019. Should be an easy 3 points for them.

:greengrin

HH81
17-11-2018, 03:49 PM
A poor half of football.

Smartie
17-11-2018, 04:02 PM
A poor half of football.

I went down to a few Sunderland games last season.

It was amazing how difficult the fans could make it for their own players to play at the Stadium of Light at times - a bad half would lead to nerves setting in and normally a capitulation.

They seem to have a bit more resilience about themselves these days.

Of the players who played for them last season I don't think I'd have kept one of them - they were all absolutely dreadful and some of them on frightening sums of money.

How is Dylan playing?

EH54
17-11-2018, 04:41 PM

It was amazing how difficult the fans could make it for their own players to play at the Stadium of Light at times - a bad half would lead to nerves setting in and normally a capitulation.

Of the players who played for them last season I don't think I'd have kept one of them - they were all absolutely dreadful and some of them on frightening sums of money.

How is Dylan playing?

He's been taken off, had a look at their forum. He's too negative and always goes back the way apparantly. Impatient negative bunch of fans no wonder right enough but reminds me of us before we got relegated.

Famous Fiver
17-11-2018, 06:43 PM
To use modern jargon, my opinion is that Dylan manages the play. He never makes the Hollywood pass but will always look to keep possession even if that means a short, sideways, or backwards pass.

He covers a lot of areas looking to intercept and pass on to a colleague in space.

That does not satisfy the fans who are looking for game changers and goal scoring heroes.

He's a guy i would always have in my team.

B.H.F.C
17-11-2018, 06:51 PM
To use modern jargon, my opinion is that Dylan manages the play. He never makes the Hollywood pass but will always look to keep possession even if that means a short, sideways, or backwards pass.

He covers a lot of areas looking to intercept and pass on to a colleague in space.

That does not satisfy the fans who are looking for game changers and goal scoring heroes.

Absolutely agree with your last sentence.

He needs to be in there with the right players though. If he’s not, then I can see why the Sunderland fans won’t have taken to him because, on the face of it, all he’s doing is playing simple 10 yard passes which people will perceive as negative. He always had forward thinking players round him at Hibs. A 10 yard pass to a McGinn or a Boyle who would then take you 40 yards up the pitch suddenly made the 10 yard passes he was making important. If him and Lee Cattermole are just passing it square to each other at Sunderland then it doesn’t quite look as good all of a sudden.

Ryan69
19-11-2018, 07:14 AM

So going to Sunderland...Has turned him into Barry the crab then.

HH81
19-11-2018, 07:20 AM

How is Dylan playing?

He had a lot of the ball 1st half and made a few decent passes. Sunderland as a team were poor though so that won't have helped. He was taken off early 2nd half. I reckon Wycombe wouldn't have scored if he had been on the pitch but in saying that I'm not convinced Sunderland would have.

Wasn't overly impressed with both sides. Expected Sunderland to be better. Decent ground and there was a museum near it with a bar which was excellent and worth a visit. Signed shirts and lots of football stuff. Chilled out and we walked round have a beer. Great place.

Over 30,000 on the gate too.

Smartie
19-11-2018, 09:43 AM
He had a lot of the ball 1st half and made a few decent passes. Sunderland as a team were poor though so that won't have helped. He was taken off early 2nd half. I reckon Wycombe wouldn't have scored if he had been on the pitch but in saying that I'm not convinced Sunderland would have.

Wasn't overly impressed with both sides. Expected Sunderland to be better. Decent ground and there was a museum near it with a bar which was excellent and worth a visit. Signed shirts and lots of football stuff. Chilled out and we walked round have a beer. Great place.

Over 30,000 on the gate too.

I quite like going down there. Very easy to get to from Edinburgh, no problem getting tickets but you still get decent crowds.

On my visits last season I have to say that whilst I understood that Sunderland were bad, I really didn't think much of the other Championship teams either. There was an awful lot of brawn on show, a lot of graft, size, strength and effort and very little actual quality. I can only imagine it will be worse with them being down a level.

When I was watching them last season I thought they were crying out for the Hibs equivalent in every position, so it isn't hugely surprising to hear them linked with many of the same players as us as I don't think it would be hard to drastically improve on what they had last season for only a very modest outlay.

That's why I'm curious as to how Dylan is getting on, as they were murdered in midfield nearly every time I saw them last year, and they looked like they were crying out for someone to put their foot on the ball and join their team up, yet they don't seem to have really warmed to him.