PDA

View Full Version : Andy Robertson v Joe Davis - your thoughts?

JohnMcM
07-09-2018, 06:31 PM
Just been listening to Sportsound. They discussed Andy Robertson at some length. The more I listened, the more I made a comparison between Robertson and Joe Davis.

From what I have seen of Andy Robertson, I have also seen Joe Davis.

Joe was brilliant at bombing down the left and interchanging with the great Eric Stevenson. Most times when they overlapped each other, between them they provided the final ball from the left that gave us a goal.

Fair do's to Andy, he's does what he has done very well for the last couple of years and tonight, deservedly in my option, he captain's my beloved Scotland against Belguim.

I always believe Joe and Eric never got the national recognition they deserved.

Ach well! Maybe I'm just an old guy getting nostalgic.

:flag:

HoboHarry
07-09-2018, 06:33 PM
Didnae realise Andy Robertson was that good at Snooker and Billiards......

:wink:

JohnMcM
07-09-2018, 06:47 PM
Didnae realise Andy Robertson was that good at Snooker and Billiards......

:wink:

That's funny. If you know who the two Joe Davis's were.

greenpaper55
07-09-2018, 06:58 PM
Not as good as John Parke, Northern Ireland left full back who is the best i have seen wearing the green. Pat Stanton said he was the best full back ever to play for Hibs so that's good enough for me.

HoboHarry
07-09-2018, 07:05 PM
That's funny. If you know who the two Joe Davis's were.

:agree::wink:

allyh1bs
07-09-2018, 07:34 PM
My memory of Joe Davis was that he was a below average defender, who was the butt of the 1960s boo-boys’ wrath. He was better going forward and he scored a lot of penalties! Parke and Schaedler were significantly better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madsen5
07-09-2018, 07:44 PM
Not as good as John Parke, Northern Ireland left full back who is the best i have seen wearing the green. Pat Stanton said he was the best full back ever to play for Hibs so that's good enough for me.
Totally agree the best ever absolute
Quality player.

Feed McGraw
07-09-2018, 08:27 PM
The first Hibs match I ever attended was Joe Davis` debut v. Third Lanark ( 5-0 win to Hibs). Hibs had sold John Parke the day before I think and immediately signed Joe Davis as his replacement ironically from Third Lanark ! I was eight and a half years old and Joe was a big part of my early Hibee life and although he wasn`t the most gifted footballer you`d ever see, he was a great servant to Hibs and scored many, many penalties that won or saved matches for Hibs. The Rebel & Joe were a great combination down the left but sorry OP I just can`t see any resemblance to Andy Robertson in regards to Joe Davis, but glad you brought up a thread about Joe. :thumbsup:

Golden Bear
07-09-2018, 09:10 PM
My memory of Joe Davis was that he was a below average defender, who was the butt of the 1960s boo-boys’ wrath. He was better going forward and he scored a lot of penalties! Parke and Schaedler were significantly better.

I agree. He formed a formidable "penalty partnership " with Eric Stevenson but Joe could never be described as a great defender. In fact the expression "Joe' s a balloon" springs to mind. 😁

allyh1bs
07-09-2018, 09:37 PM
The first Hibs match I ever attended was Joe Davis` debut v. Third Lanark ( 5-0 win to Hibs). Hibs had sold John Parke the day before I think and immediately signed Joe Davis as his replacement ironically from Third Lanark ! I was eight and a half years old and Joe was a big part of my early Hibee life and although he wasn`t the most gifted footballer you`d ever see, he was a great servant to Hibs and scored many, many penalties that won or saved matches for Hibs. The Rebel & Joe were a great combination down the left but sorry OP I just can`t see any resemblance to Andy Robertson in regards to Joe Davis, but glad you brought up a thread about Joe. :thumbsup:

If it’s the game I’m thinking of, Willie Hamilton got booked for back heeling a Thirds player up the backside!

Feed McGraw
07-09-2018, 09:55 PM
If it’s the game I’m thinking of, Willie Hamilton got booked for back heeling a Thirds player up the backside!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Can`t remember that but I`d bet it`s the same game. What I do remember is Willie scored two and Neil Martin got a hat trick.

Forza Fred
07-09-2018, 10:51 PM
Joe Davis was fine servant to Hibs, but near the end of his time fr whatever reason, lost his form, and indeed became a target for theboo boys.

Being honest I would not have included him in my list of top three Hibs left backs in my lifetime, and I certainly can’t remember a time when he was ever the subject of transfer speculation away from Hibs.

To say he was an ‘average’ player probably does not do credit to him, he was better than that, but hardly a stand out every week.

Ray_
08-09-2018, 03:19 AM

Unfortunately, one he missed was against Hamburg and we should have had four that evening.

A poisoned chalice position the left-back back then, I don't remember Joe Davis getting too much stick [from the shed], but I remember Mervyn Jones getting dogs abuse, Billy Mc Ewan too when he was played in that position and even Shades, during his early days in 69/70, mind you the first thing he done of note on his debut was clatter Peter Cormack and Peter had to go off in a game against Gornick and the silky skills of Włodzimierz Lubański, what a talant that man was.

iwasthere1972
08-09-2018, 12:39 PM
Some games stick in your mind and one of them was against Celtic at Easter Road in November 1968. Hibs got a penalty in the 72nd minute and Joe Davis stroked it home to make it 2-1 to the Hibees. I was in the Dunbar end so had a good view of it. Unfortunately there was no stopping Celtic (this was just over a year since they won the European Cup) and they scored four goals in the last ten minutes to thrash us 5-2. Big John Hughes bagged himself a brace. They were some team.

Forza Fred
08-09-2018, 01:17 PM
Some games stick in your mind and one of them was against Celtic at Easter Road in November 1968. Hibs got a penalty in the 72nd minute and Joe Davis stroked it home to make it 2-1 to the Hibees. I was in the Dunbar end so had a good view of it. Unfortunately there was no stopping Celtic (this was just over a year since they won the European Cup) and they scored four goals in the last ten minutes to thrash us 5-2. Big John Hughes bagged himself a brace. They were some team.

Remember this game...I was playing a game at Hawkhilland rushed at the end of it to get to ER for as much of the game I could get....when I got in we’d just scored the penalty, but had to suffer the Celtic scoring 4 goals in rapid succession.

BILLYHIBS
08-09-2018, 02:34 PM
Sorry just cannot see any similarities in playing style between Andy Robertson and Joe Davis as hard as I try.
Like other posters delighted to talk about the rebel and Joe Davis and listen to anecdotes from fellow fans.
I remember Mervyn Jones was the nephew of John Greig which probably did not ingratiate himself to Hibernian fans but remember Mervyn being average at best.
Eric Stevenson was my hero old fashioned tanner ba player always had the full back in his back pocket and had the knack of tumbling in the box regardless of where he was fouled
I remember Joe Davis as being an old fashioned steady reliable full back capable of getting forward no where as good or as athletic as my other hero Erich Schaedler
I would say that Robertson and Davis were two entirely different types of player

Bangkok Hibby
08-09-2018, 03:31 PM

Wow, this one is lodged in my memory too. My mate and I were 11 years old and decided to leave when Hibs went 2-1 up to avoid the angry Celtic hordes :na na:
By the time we got out the ground and down to the bottom of St Clair street Celtic had scored 4 times.

eastterrace
08-09-2018, 04:06 PM
Sorry just cannot see any similarities in playing style between Andy Robertson and Joe Davis as hard as I try.
Like other posters delighted to talk about the rebel and Joe Davis and listen to anecdotes from fellow fans.
I remember Mervyn Jones was the nephew of John Greig which probably did not ingratiate himself to Hibernian fans but remember Mervyn being average at best.
Eric Stevenson was my hero old fashioned tanner ba player always had the full back in his back pocket and had the knack of tumbling in the box regardless of where he was fouled
I remember Joe Davis as being an old fashioned steady reliable full back capable of getting forward no where as good or as athletic as my other hero Erich Schaedler
I would say that Robertson and Davis were two entirely different types of player

I’m with you on this can’t ever remember joe Davis overlapping and bombing up the wing, all I mind was the rebel dribbling and as you say leaving full backs on there Ercky . Wasn’t till shades on one side and brownlie on the other did we have overlapping full backs unless my memory faded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CentreLine
08-09-2018, 06:41 PM
Wow, this one is lodged in my memory too. My mate and I were 11 years old and decided to leave when Hibs went 2-1 up to avoid the angry Celtic hordes :na na:
By the time we got out the ground and down to the bottom of St Clair street Celtic had scored 4 times.

Willie Wilson had an absolute nightmare that game. May have been his last game for us IIRC

Bangkok Hibby
09-09-2018, 07:43 AM
Willie Wilson had an absolute nightmare that game. May have been his last game for us IIRC

Pretty sure he played a few more games but not many. I seem to remember we lost three or four in a row and that was him. I had a quick look on Wicki but there's not much there.

Ray_
09-09-2018, 07:49 AM
Pretty sure he played a few more games but not many. I seem to remember we lost three or four in a row and that was him. I had a quick look on Wicki but there's not much there.

He did play a few more games after that and his last game was mid-March 1969 when Arbroath beat us 2-1 at ER. Thomson Allan, Gordon Marshall & Roy Baines all had different spells before Jim Herriot came in for the two season's he spent with us.

Great site this, gives the teams and all for those last three games you spoke of :) http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player_games.php?playerid=6138

BILLYHIBS
09-09-2018, 07:57 AM
Worked beside Willie in his later years nice quiet genuine guy. He was a friend of Jim Jeffries and did a lot of coaching for him at Berwick. He was of course a Hearts supporter. Apart from that great guy! :wink:

Bangkok Hibby
09-09-2018, 08:45 AM
He did play a few more games after that and his last game was mid-March 1969 when Arbroath beat us 2-1 at ER. Thomson Allan, Gordon Marshall & Roy Baines all had different spells before Jim Herriot came in for the two season's he spent with us.

Great site this, gives the teams and all for those last three games you spoke of :) http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player_games.php?playerid=6138

Thanks for that link. Looks a really good site

BILLYHIBS
09-09-2018, 11:09 AM
Just been listening to Sportsound. They discussed Andy Robertson at some length. The more I listened, the more I made a comparison between Robertson and Joe Davis.

From what I have seen of Andy Robertson, I have also seen Joe Davis.

Joe was brilliant at bombing down the left and interchanging with the great Eric Stevenson. Most times when they overlapped each other, between them they provided the final ball from the left that gave us a goal.

Fair do's to Andy, he's does what he has done very well for the last couple of years and tonight, deservedly in my option, he captain's my beloved Scotland against Belguim.

I always believe Joe and Eric never got the national recognition they deserved.

Ach well! Maybe I'm just an old guy getting nostalgic.

:flag:
Jock Wallace, driving back from Scotland’s win over Italy at Hampden in November 1965 laid into fellow passenger Eric Stevenson, telling him in no uncertain terms:”Son, wi your talent ye could hae been oot there the nicht
Ye need a richt guid kick up the f***ing erse you’ve goat too much nonesense in yer heid “

blackpoolhibs
09-09-2018, 03:09 PM

Was that the game when Bobby Duncan had his leg broken by a shocking challenge from Hughes, you could hear the crack all round the ground? :confused:

iwasthere1972
09-09-2018, 03:40 PM
Was that the game when Bobby Duncan had his leg broken by a shocking challenge from Hughes, you could hear the crack all round the ground? :confused:

No. That was at the beginning of the year.

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=76228

BILLYHIBS
09-09-2018, 06:15 PM

Reminded me of the crack that reverberated around the Stadium when Ian Printy tackled John Brownlie near the half way line early 1973 HIBS v East Fife.

The day the music died!

Our title hopes further booted into touch by Alex Edwards’s eight week suspension :confused:

ancient hibee
09-09-2018, 09:36 PM
Reminded me of the crack that reverberated around the Stadium when Ian Printy tackled John Brownlie near the half way line early 1973 HIBS v East Fife.

The day the music died!

Our title hopes further booted into touch by Alex Edwards’s eight week suspension :confused:
It was unfortunate.Brownlie lost control of the ball and overstretched into the collision.He was never the same player although still better than average.The suspension was of course outrageous.

BILLYHIBS
09-09-2018, 10:17 PM
It was unfortunate.Brownlie lost control of the ball and overstretched into the collision.He was never the same player although still better than average.The suspension was of course outrageous.
Unfortunate indeed John Brownlie said that he got a shout from Mickey Edwards and had no option but to go for the ball. He was only 20 and just burst onto the full international scene ahead of the likes of Jardine and McGrain. You are correct he was never the same player.

Ray_
10-09-2018, 05:38 AM
Unfortunate indeed John Brownlie said that he got a shout from Mickey Edwards and had no option but to go for the ball. He was only 20 and just burst onto the full international scene ahead of the likes of Jardine and McGrain. You are correct he was never the same player.

Got his first cap in Russia at 19 at the end of 70/71 season if I remember correctly and then established himself as the nations right-back early the following season under "The Doc".

Bill Milne
10-09-2018, 08:14 AM
[QUOTE=BILLYHIBS;5546288]Unfortunate indeed John Brownlie said that he got a shout from Mickey Edwards and had no option but to go for the ball. He was only 20 and just burst onto the full international scene ahead of the likes of Jardine and McGrain. You are correct he was never the same player

Tragic for Onion, of course, and almost certainly cost us the league flag!!

Forza Fred
10-09-2018, 11:21 PM
I’m with you on this can’t ever remember joe Davis overlapping and bombing up the wing, all I mind was the rebel dribbling and as you say leaving full backs on there Ercky . Wasn’t till shades on one side and brownlie on the other did we have overlapping full backs unless my memory faded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm with you Easty, I liked Joe Davis for most of his tenure with us, but the memory banks just don't compute with anything resembling him 'bombing down the wing' and interchanging with Stevie.

He was an adequate FULL back, never a wing back type.

BILLYHIBS
10-09-2018, 11:42 PM
I'm with you Easty, I liked Joe Davis for most of his tenure with us, but the memory banks just don't compute with anything resembling him 'bombing down the wing' and interchanging with Stevie.

He was an adequate FULL back, never a wing back type.

:top marks

HIBERNIAN-0762
11-09-2018, 08:16 AM

The day the music died!

Remember that game well, East Fife then managed by ex Hibs player Pat Quinn booted us all over the pitch and parked the bus, Alan Gordon scored in the dying minutes, Easter Road erupted IIRC

bigwheel
11-09-2018, 08:22 AM
Remember that game well, East Fife then managed by ex Hibs player Pat Quinn booted us all over the pitch and parked the bus, Alan Gordon scored in the dying minutes, Easter Road erupted IIRC

Wikipedia says over 17000 at that game...some crowd.

ancient hibee
11-09-2018, 08:26 AM

It's strange isn't it? Skilful players like Quinn and Don Revie turn into monster managers while hard,hard men like Stein and Turnbull went the other way and encouraged skill above toughness.

Ray_
11-09-2018, 03:58 PM
Wikipedia says over 17000 at that game...some crowd.

Around five days after the 7-0 game, which put us top, we had also won the two cup competitions that had been completed and were through to the cup winners cup, quarter final, so not really as good as the crowds we are getting today.