PDA

View Full Version : Betting links found on football clubs' junior fan pages - including Hibs

TheDude
07-09-2018, 02:32 PM
Havent seen this posted yet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45423065

"Links to online gambling firms have been placed in junior sections of the websites of 15 football clubs, a BBC investigation has found.

The logos, linking to gambling sites, often appeared under details of how to join junior clubs and be a club mascot.

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) demanded "immediate action" in response to the BBC's findings.

The English Football League apologised, while some of the clubs have removed the adverts from their junior sections.

ASA rules state online gambling adverts cannot be targeted at anyone under the age of 18.

However, 5 live Investigates discovered 15 football clubs spanning the Premier League, the Championship, League One and the Scottish Premiership, had logos of betting firms or links to gambling sites on pages aimed at junior supporters.

All of the clubs have gambling firms as their shirt sponsors.

Among them was Premier League side Wolverhampton Wanderers, whose "Junior Fans" page contained the logo of a gambling company and club sponsor at the bottom of the page.

The link opened a page of a gambling site featuring Wolves players.

Championship club Aston Villa's "Junior Villans" page contained two logos of gambling firms, including one which opened an "Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway" game and a "Jurassic World" game.

Scottish Premiership champions Glasgow Celtic's "Young Hoops" pages also contained links to a gambling site.

All three clubs have since removed the adverts from their pages.

It comes after NHS England this week warned football clubs should do more to help tackle gambling addiction.

Which clubs carried gambling links?

Premier League: Wolverhampton Wanderers

Championship: Aston Villa • Blackburn Rovers • Bolton Wanderers • Brentford • Ipswich Town • Norwich City • Nottingham Forest • Stoke City

League One: Blackpool • Bristol Rovers • Charlton Athletic

Scottish Premiership: Glasgow Celtic • Hibernian • Motherwell

Shabnum Mustapha, from the ASA, said clubs needed to take "immediate action" to remove gambling logos from junior pages.

"Our compliance team will be writing to the Premier League, English Football League, the FA and SFA to set out clearly our concerns in this area, to highlight the UK gambling rules and how they apply to football club websites."
'Hugely surprising'

Tim Miller, executive director of the Gambling Commission, said it was "not acceptable" for gambling advertising and logos to be presented on web pages of sports teams that are targeted at children.

"Sports teams should be ensuring that all content on such web pages is appropriate for children and we expect gambling companies to take responsibility for where their adverts and logos appear."

Anne Longfield, the Children's Commissioner for England, described the findings as "hugely surprising".

"That's not something I would have thought would have been the kind of site that you'd want your seven, eight, nine-year-old child to be going through to," she said.

Ms Longfield called for education about gambling to be included in the school curriculum.
Image caption Jack Ritchie and his mother, Liz

Last November, 24-year-old Jack Ritchie, from Sheffield, took his own life after battling a gambling addiction, which began when he was 17.

His mother, Liz, who has since founded the Gambling with Lives campaign group, said she was sure betting adverts in football had affected him.

"It normalised it and it's made normal by being a part of the thing they love, which is football," she said.
'Social responsibilities'

Both Wolverhampton Wanderers and Aston Villa said they had removed the logos from the junior sections of their websites, while Glasgow Celtic said the club would "never intentionally promote such services to those under 18".

However, fellow Scottish Premiership side Hibernian said its "Hibs Kids" website was designed for "parents and other adults, not directly to children".

Shaun Harvey - chief executive of the English Football League which represents the 72 English clubs outside the Premier League - said: "We apologise to all supporters of our clubs for any concerns this may have raised.

"All clubs who have betting partners have been instructed to remove any logos from pages aimed at minors."

Mr Harvey added the EFL had signed a "memorandum of understanding" with its betting company sponsor which covers "best practice, protecting minors and the vulnerable".

A spokesman for the Scottish Professional Football League said the organisation was "aware of our social responsibilities" around gambling."

where'stheslope
07-09-2018, 03:30 PM
Have feeling that it may be just banner adverts similar on our threads, they appear on what you are browsing on the internet not what Hibernian are touting?

lord bunberry
07-09-2018, 03:35 PM
Have feeling that it may be just banner adverts similar on our threads, they appear on what you are browsing on the internet not what Hibernian are touting?
No it’s actual adverts with links to the website of the bookies. I think it’s a valid point that hibs are making that the hibs kids section is clearly designed for adults. I can’t comment on other teams websites.

wookie70
07-09-2018, 03:50 PM
The shoot the O game that is played at half time and by the players on occasion is somethings kids love. That is on youtube on the clubs site and kids can access that and my two love it. Not once have they even asked what Marathon does. I don't have too much of a problem with it as advertising is everywhere and where do you stop. My son is far more likely making me skint purchasing players on FIFA18 than putting a line on at the bookies. I would say that is gambling as you don't know what player you will get, Panini cards are similar in a way.

scotia44
07-09-2018, 05:02 PM
The bookies have long been exploiting the relaxed gambling act (gordon brown iirc) sport in particular is now basically sharing the same bed and problem gambling is now huge.The bookies need reigned in as it's not only a moral issue it can lead to sports being targeted by fixers it's a dangerous animal that is feeding on the sporting world

NZ Green
07-09-2018, 05:13 PM
My son is far more likely making me skint purchasing players on FIFA18 than putting a line on at the bookies. I would say that is gambling as you don't know what player you will get, Panini cards are similar in a way.
Theres a massive hoo ha right now about 'loot boxes' in video games, some countries are banning it as it is basically gambling for kids - EA, the company that make FIFA, are particularly ruthless with them.

worcesterhibby
07-09-2018, 05:28 PM
looks like the marathon bet logo has been removed from the Hibs site at the moment. Big gap on the top right of the sponsors logos where I think it was previously. They haven't removed the Eden Mills Gin one though !

Bit Nanny state if you ask me.

Bobby's Cinema
07-09-2018, 05:31 PM
Not sure I like the tone trying to justify it.

Take it on the chin, don’t let it happen from now on?

Glad there are people out there trying to clamp down on this sort of thing.

Carheenlea
07-09-2018, 05:53 PM
Marathon Bet have been excellent sponsors of our club. Long may they continue to be.

lord bunberry
07-09-2018, 06:09 PM
Not sure I like the tone trying to justify it.

Take it on the chin, don’t let it happen from now on?

Glad there are people out there trying to clamp down on this sort of thing.
Stating a fact isn’t trying to justify something. It’s simply untrue that the hibs kids page is for juniors. It’s a page for parents to sign up their kids. You have to pay £15 to sign up non season ticket holders. The article is trying to make out that it’s a page for young hibs fans to use, it’s clearly not that.

wookie70
07-09-2018, 07:38 PM
From what I can see there is a logo for the Ladbrokes SPFL on every page I flicked through on the official site. Should we stop kids watching Sportscene as that logo is also on every players strip. If they want to stop gambling being advertised in Sport that is fine but don't do it in a half-arsed way

Phil MaGlass
07-09-2018, 07:39 PM
Stating a fact isn’t trying to justify something. It’s simply untrue that the hibs kids page is for juniors. It’s a page for parents to sign up their kids. You have to pay £15 to sign up non season ticket holders. The article is trying to make out that it’s a page for young hibs fans to use, it’s clearly not that.

Sorry mate, totally wrong, the words Hibs Kids is enough to get yongsters attention to the page, its absolutely about time something is done, not only about gambling adds,links etc but also alcohol adds when Hibs Kids or when trying to attract kids to anypage for kids, in faci I find it outrageous, if you know me, folk would say I am pretty tolerant to alot of things, but, I find the whole betting and alcohol adds on pages attracting younger supporters OR indirectly attracting, (like this page) abhorrent, were a country whos youngsters think its okay to get pi5hed at the age of 12/13, smoke on school grounds, take drugs and any number of things we care to mention. No wonder our country are 5hit at fitba when the kids are too busy gettin pi5hed every weekend.
For the person calling it nanny state, f,n really, it's about f,n time the people in power open their f,n eyes, gambling, drink and drugs rip peoples and families lives apart.
So why not get the kids hooked while they are young, alcohol and gambling sponsorship should be no f,n where near kids. Nanny state ma arse

Phil MaGlass
07-09-2018, 07:42 PM
From what I can see there is a logo for the Ladbrokes SPFL on every page I flicked through on the official site. Should we stop kids watching Sportscene as that logo is also on every players strip. If they want to stop gambling being advertised in Sport that is fine but don't do it in a half-arsed way
I think in America, may be wrong, that alcohol or betting sponsors can be blacked out for tv.?

Heckys Wheel
07-09-2018, 07:43 PM
I notice The Rangers have been left off the list of Scottish Prem teams that have gambling sponsors.

Wee Effen Bee
07-09-2018, 07:44 PM
Sorry mate, totally wrong, the words Hibs Kids is enough to get yongsters attention to the page, its absolutely about time something is done, not only about gambling adds,links etc but also alcohol adds when Hibs Kids or when trying to attract kids to anypage for kids, in faci I find it outrageous, if you know me, folk would say I am pretty tolerant to alot of things, but, I find the whole betting and alcohol adds on pages attracting younger supporters OR indirectly attracting, (like this page) abhorrent, were a country whos youngsters think its okay to get pi5hed at the age of 12/13, smoke on school grounds, take drugs and any number of things we care to mention. No wonder our country are 5hit at fitba when the kids are too busy gettin pi5hed every weekend.
For the person calling it nanny state, f,n really, it's about f,n time the people in power open their f,n eyes, gambling, drink and drugs rip peoples and families lives apart.
So why not get the kids hooked while they are young, alcohol and gambling sponsorship should be no f,n where near kids. Nanny state ma arse
Have to agree totally with all of this!

Phil MaGlass
07-09-2018, 07:51 PM
Have to agree totally with all of this!

Please excuse the spellin, don't have ma glasses oan

lord bunberry
07-09-2018, 08:51 PM
The word hibs is enough to get kids attention. Far more kids will look at the official site than the hibs kids site, in fact to get to the hibs kids site you need to go through the official site. The official site will have both alcohol and gambling adverts on it.
The only real way to solve the problems you list is to have a complete ban on alcohol and gambling advertising. During the last ad break in the Scotland game there was 2 adverts for alcohol 4 for gambling and an ad saying the the program was being sponsored by another bookie. There was also an ad for old spice which is totally unacceptable :greengrin. Kids are seeing these kind of adverts everywhere they go and that’s the real problem, they banned cigarette advertisements and they may well do the same with alcohol and gambling.

Carheenlea
07-09-2018, 09:15 PM
I’m more concerned that the SFA are happy to accept sponsorship and engage in partnerships with Mcdonalds than clubs being sponsored by betting company’s. Junk food and bad diet is a bigger problem in Scotland than youngsters getting their heads turned by betting firms IMHO.

Betty Boop
09-09-2018, 10:56 AM
Five Live investigates discussing the very subject right now. Hibs mentioned unfortunately.

Diclonius
09-09-2018, 11:04 AM
Always been of the mind that gambling is as addicting and destructive as cigarettes and alcohol (from experience re people close to me) and it doesn't make sense to me that there isn't a similar blanket ban on advertising.

Hell, even SOME regulation would be good. Right now we have gambling firms sponsoring leagues, football teams, live matches, gambling advertising constantly during the break, before the break, after the break, on every advertising break on every sports-oriented radio station and all over the internet. The one thing that really, REALLY infuriates me is this relatability gimmick they have going on on social media where they pretend to be your mate and always post "banter" and are all about having a laugh. And people wonder why so many young people are addicted to gambling in this country.

KWJ
09-09-2018, 11:50 AM
As a gambler I've looked at self exclusion from websites. But there are so many websites there's always new ones.

Recently I looked at downloading blocking software but these are not available for free and some of them are quite expensive. I feel like they could be subsidised or simply have a free one created for UK users.

I started gambling at 15 on the dogs at the bookies and will now bet on anything at all. I've never bought the FIFA packs but as other users have said it is gambling and builds up that "one more pack"chasing mentality by using the coins. There's no surprise that users, young especially may be tempted to use the pre registered card for that 1 extra pack. And once they have one...

lord bunberry
09-09-2018, 12:22 PM
As a gambler I've looked at self exclusion from websites. But there are so many websites there's always new ones.

Recently I looked at downloading blocking software but these are not available for free and some of them are quite expensive. I feel like they could be subsidised or simply have a free one created for UK users.

I started gambling at 15 on the dogs at the bookies and will now bet on anything at all. I've never bought the FIFA packs but as other users have said it is gambling and builds up that "one more pack"chasing mentality by using the coins. There's no surprise that users, young especially may be tempted to use the pre registered card for that 1 extra pack. And once they have one...
There’s a website called Gamstop that will automatically exclude you from online gambling. Not every bookie is signed up yet, but most are and more are signing up to the scheme.

greenlex
09-09-2018, 06:24 PM
I wonder how big a problem kids gambling is? I doubt it’s huge to be honest. They’re in bigger danger from ads for sweets and chocolate.

HibeeDaz6270
09-09-2018, 06:45 PM
You can get software which will block gambling sites for free, however any gambler will always find a way to gamble if they choose to. All these things will just make it that little bit more difficult, which i guess with online gambling nowadays can only be a good thing.

If you want to stop, you need to stop altogether. One little bet plants the seed, and whilst it may not be damaging in that moment it will be down the line.

Regardless of how many boundaries you put up, if you want to gamble you will find a way to do it.

It definately is very difficult & there has to be more regulations. People go on about alcohol, drugs etc but this could be argued to be the worst of all as it is so destructive financially and there is no limits.

Self exclusion is a 50/50 agreement. Which is ridiculious. As if the " gambler " does anything to break that agreement, such as try to gamble. then the agreement is void.

So if you self exclude yourself , make a second account and lose a lot of money there is no responsability for the betting company, because you . A " Gambler " a compulsive gambler hence the choice to self exclude has broken the agreement. ( what compulsive gambler wouldnt? )

Its unbelievable & there certainly has to be regulations and limitations on it. I think in the next 5 years we will see a massive increase in problem gamblers.

I personally do not agree with any advertisement of Gambling firms in football, but can understand that a club like ours is probably not in a position to turn down the funds of said sponsorship, until clubs do though. It will continue.

Keith_M
09-09-2018, 07:20 PM
Having seen the effects of addiction to Alcohol and Gambling, I'll be delighted when Hibs are no longer having either type of companies as their shirts sponsors.

I realise there are lots of people that can partake in either of these in moderation, but I don't think we should be actively promoting them.

KWJ
09-09-2018, 08:21 PM
There’s a website called Gamstop that will automatically exclude you from online gambling. Not every bookie is signed up yet, but most are and more are signing up to the scheme.

Cheers

jacomo
10-09-2018, 10:01 PM
Having seen the effects of addiction to Alcohol and Gambling, I'll be delighted when Hibs are no longer having either type of companies as their shirts sponsors.

I realise there are lots of people that can partake in either of these in moderation, but I don't think we should be actively promoting them.

:agree: