PDA

View Full Version : Dirty players

matty_f
06-09-2018, 08:34 PM
Meet a friend this evening for a wee catch up and we were talking about dirty players that played for our respective teams (he's a The Rangers fan).

He had loads that he could recall, the likes of Hurlock etc - players that were hard but dirty with it, that left the boot in or wouldn't think twice about smashing an opponent.

I found it harder to think of players that we've had in my time that would do that kind regularly, so my question is - who are the dirtiest Hibs players you've seen?

Elephant Stone
06-09-2018, 08:38 PM
Ian Murray

heretoday
06-09-2018, 08:39 PM
Roy Barry.

Viva_Palmeiras
06-09-2018, 08:41 PM
https://youtu.be/ygVgxYa3mlo oh sorry wrong team but surely features above most on either side.

lord bunberry
06-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Meet a friend this evening for a wee catch up and we were talking about dirty players that played for our respective teams (he's a The Rangers fan).

He had loads that he could recall, the likes of Hurlock etc - players that were hard but dirty with it, that left the boot in or wouldn't think twice about smashing an opponent.

I found it harder to think of players that we've had in my time that would do that kind regularly, so my question is - who are the dirtiest Hibs players you've seen?
That’s a good question, I genuinely can’t remember any playing for hibs. I’m sure if you go back a while you’ll find a few. I remember David Farrel liked to put it about an Callum Milne took no prisoners, but I wouldn’t exactly call them dirty players.

angus hibby
06-09-2018, 08:42 PM
Davie Farrell. Although Darren McCormack didn’t play often for first team, he had a bit about him! Callum Milne liked a tackle too.

lord bunberry
06-09-2018, 08:42 PM
Ian Murray
You’re kidding me on. He was a classy player, never dirty in a million years.

Viva_Palmeiras
06-09-2018, 08:43 PM
Darren Jackson could be a right niggly basa

Elephant Stone
06-09-2018, 08:46 PM

That was more in response to the 'wouldn't think twice about smashing an opponent' rather than the dirty part. He liked to smash an opponent upon occasion, Ian Black for example.

lord bunberry
06-09-2018, 08:49 PM
That was more in response to the 'wouldn't think twice about smashing an opponent' rather than the dirty part. He liked to smash an opponent upon occasion, Ian Black for example.
Smashing Ian Black is more a pleasure thing :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
06-09-2018, 08:49 PM
Bobby Thomson dirty for a forward well not dirty let’s say could handle himself and loved to mix it. Hated standside linesmen and that’s before they were sponsored by Specsavers :greengrin

fat freddy
06-09-2018, 08:54 PM
Willie Miller knew how to leave something on a player.

cmcd
06-09-2018, 08:59 PM
John Macnamee

Stevie Reid
06-09-2018, 09:00 PM
Ian Murray

Remember his "overly robust" tackle that injured future Hibs SC winning legend Fraser Fyvie.

allmodcons
06-09-2018, 09:01 PM
There is a massive difference between hard and dirty.

Wee Lewis never shirks a tackle but Shay Logan at Aberdeen is a dirty little ****.

matty_f
06-09-2018, 09:03 PM

Willie Miller was one I thought of, as was Milne, mentioned above.

Scott Brown turned into one but want really when he was here.

Remember Bobo Balde elbowing Fenwick (I think) - players like that, or Naismith having a kick at Hayes the other week - that's the sort of thing I mean.

Murray was hard but wasn't particularly dirty with it, at least not habitually - he did smash Ian Black quite spectacularly once. Same with Yogi - a hard player but I can't remember him doing anything particularly nasty while he was at Hibs.

McD
06-09-2018, 09:03 PM

Was my thoughts to this question

BILLYHIBS
06-09-2018, 09:08 PM
John Blackley Sloop John B classy sweeper best reader of the game I have ever seen-saying that King Paddy was no to bad as a sweeper tae- anyway he could leave his mark hard as f*** especially against the Huns. There is a classic photy somewhere taken at Hampden Rangers hard man John Greig writhing in agony and Sloop Just sloops away leaving him writhing in pain-perfect!

One o the young team please download.

Another story he told at St Pats Branch one game he rattled into Derek Parlane from behind while he was receiving treatment John Greig says to him he’ll be back ye know and Blackley replied “Aye and I will be right here waiting !”

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=john+greig+blackley+tackle&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#imgrc=qBWx2542iOkOEM

Zazu62
06-09-2018, 09:08 PM
Shinnie from Aberdeen

BILLYHIBS
06-09-2018, 09:10 PM
Neil Berry horrendous tackle on Paul Wright broke his leg and all but ended his Hibs career Hearts Bassa !!

brianmc
06-09-2018, 09:14 PM
Gordon bloody Hunter, gbh, or Geebsie for short, loved smashing opponents - but was a very soft spoken polite laddie so he seemed to get away with a lot more than some might have...
Killer Callum Milne for instance!
Just an all round bams bam.

Juniper Greens
06-09-2018, 09:15 PM
Ryan Porteous has potential!

The Modfather
06-09-2018, 09:19 PM
Jay Shields

AK86
06-09-2018, 09:23 PM
Going back a bit , Billy mclaren was not to messed with.
Matty Jack could put it about and some more. Andy Goram liked to leave some stud marks on anyone who came near.

Kenny Black was born to play for the zombies and the poppy thieves. Horrible horrible little man .

Nevi_SOL
06-09-2018, 09:23 PM
Jay Shields

Around the same time Kevin McCann as well

brianmc
06-09-2018, 09:24 PM

He certainly does!
And like Geebsie he's a well spoken lad off the pitch-though likely to play at a much higher level if he keeps progressing as he has so far.

Stantons Angel
06-09-2018, 09:49 PM
The dirtiest all round player ive ever seen was the one and only JOHN GRIEG!!!

The man was an animal!!!

John Blackley was hard but with a touch of class about him too. He of course had the help of Erich Schaedler who NEVER shirked a tackle in his life.

He was as hard as nails .......what a player he was!

PatHead
06-09-2018, 09:58 PM
Going back a bit , Billy mclaren was not to messed with.
Matty Jack could put it about and some more. Andy Goram liked to leave some stud marks on anyone who came near.

Kenny Black was born to play for the zombies and the poppy thieves. Horrible horrible little man .
First name I thought of was Billy McLaren. If I remember correctly he only used to play in the bigger games and always got booked.

He was a dirty bugger.

SquashedFrogg
06-09-2018, 09:58 PM

My fav player back in the day. Gets overlooked sometimes. Good player as well.

Stud-marked players but could get down the wing as a right back

BILLYHIBS
06-09-2018, 10:05 PM

The man was an animal!!!

John Blackley was hard but with a touch of class about him too. He of course had the help of Erich Schaedler who NEVER shirked a tackle in his life.

He was as hard as nails .......what a player he was!

Tackling Shades was like tackling a brick wall the best example I can think of for younger posters to view is the 7-0 game. The seventh goal Schaedler goes on a typical lung bursting overlap he kicks the ball too far in front of him a Hearts defender comes across to intercept Schaedler crashes into him allowing his momentum to let the ball travel through to Arthur Duncan who looks up picks out the trusty head of Alan Gordon one flick of the head the ball hits the near post travels along the line to the far post and crosses the line 7-0!

AK86
06-09-2018, 10:07 PM
First name I thought of was Billy McLaren. If I remember correctly he only used to play in the bigger games and always got booked.

He was a dirty bugger.
I could be wrong, but was it not that he was part time?
Actually wasn't a bad defender, not the type I would have liked marking me though . ( not that I needed marked, I was guff!!)

Smartie
06-09-2018, 10:10 PM
Remember his "overly robust" tackle that injured future Hibs SC winning legend Fraser Fyvie.

It's funny how this type of thing gets passed on from generation to generation.

I remember Alan Thompson putting a really heavy one in on Scott Brown, it might even have broken his leg. By the rules at the time it was a "hard and fair" one because he got the ball, but by today's rules it would certainly have had "excessive force".

That's how I remember the Murray and Fyvie one - by the letter of the law probably just about legal, but it wasn't really a great tackle to see a Hibs player make on a decent youngster.

I'm sure Brown and Fyvie will be the ones leaving marks on younger players now.

BILLYHIBS
06-09-2018, 10:39 PM
John Blackley Sloop John B classy sweeper best reader of the game I have ever seen-saying that King Paddy was no to bad as a sweeper tae- anyway he could leave his mark hard as f*** especially against the Huns. There is a classic photy somewhere taken at Hampden Rangers hard man John Greig writhing in agony and Sloop Just sloops away leaving him writhing in pain-perfect!

One o the young team please download.

Another story he told at St Pats Branch one game he rattled into Derek Parlane from behind while he was receiving treatment John Greig says to him he’ll be back ye know and Blackley replied “Aye and I will be right here waiting !”

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=john+greig+blackley+tackle&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#imgrc=qBWx2542iOkOEM

To HIBS supporters of a certain generation the link is working please hit! ENJOY :greengrin

worcesterhibby
06-09-2018, 10:45 PM
Jay Shields

Thats who I thought of too, he loved a 50/50. Just had a look at his career stats with all clubs. 120 appearances, 34 yellows and 7 reds, Good effort ! what a bam.

silverhibee
06-09-2018, 10:52 PM

Is this a whoosh, Murray was a nasty player who did go in to cause harm, that kick on McGeady was a classic.

AK86
06-09-2018, 10:52 PM

I remember Alan Thompson putting a really heavy one in on Scott Brown, it might even have broken his leg. By the rules at the time it was a "hard and fair" one because he got the ball, but by today's rules it would certainly have had "excessive force".

That's how I remember the Murray and Fyvie one - by the letter of the law probably just about legal, but it wasn't really a great tackle to see a Hibs player make on a decent youngster.

Not an uber fan post, but I was at both these games.
Both were very similar in the way that they were putting young upstarts in their place. Both tackles were brutal to be fair.
I also remember watching ( on the TV) Stevenson , very uncharacteristicly studding some blood stained turd down the calf at Tynecastle . I remember thinking , he must have really wound him up as we all know, LS dosent loose his composure easily.

DetroitHibs
06-09-2018, 10:55 PM
Hibs player I'd say Jackson, can't think of many dirty players over the years.

majorhibs
06-09-2018, 11:06 PM
Some of the dirtiest most shocking challenges made by some of the best otherwise players ye’ll see live, sometimes they’ve just had enough! Then again, ye get players like G Stevens & S Ramos who are thugs more than players, & play the club bias card constantly. Although thug Ramos is a very good fballer when not taking the piss out of refs!

BILLYHIBS
06-09-2018, 11:14 PM
Some of the dirtiest most shocking challenges made by some of the best otherwise players ye’ll see live, sometimes they’ve just had enough! Then again, ye get players like G Stevens & S Ramos who are thugs more than players, & play the club bias card constantly. Although thug Ramos is a very good fballer when not taking the piss out of refs!
Ramos did Salah like a kipper in the CL Cup Final and the young goalie!

Mibbes Aye
07-09-2018, 12:16 AM
There’s some excellent footage from a derby game where Geebsie just out-and-out scythes Colquhoun. Been posted on here before, am sure someone must have the link.

allezsauzee
07-09-2018, 07:18 AM
Gordon bloody Hunter, gbh, or Geebsie for short, loved smashing opponents - but was a very soft spoken polite laddie so he seemed to get away with a lot more than some might have...
Killer Callum Milne for instance!
Just an all round bams bam.

Geebsie was my hero growing up for this reason. I remember a tremendous forearm smash into the back of Frank McAvennie's head before nodding the ball clear when we beat Celtic 3-1 in their centenary year. Brilliant!

DstN75
07-09-2018, 07:27 AM
Pat McGinlay

Stevie Reid
07-09-2018, 09:00 AM

Spot on, was the kind of tackle I used to thrive on myself when I was playing at boys club level - as long as you made contact with the ball first, anything was ok after that really. It certainly injured Fyvie, and would have been at least a booking these days I'm sure. As you allude to, I don't think Murray meant to seriously injure Fyvie for one second, but he would certainly have meant to hurt him.

I remember speaking to Ian in a club in 2000 when he was breaking into the first team squad, and Didier Agathe was regularly destroying teams playing out wide for Celtic, having not long left us. We were due to play Celtic the following week and I asked Ian how he would cope dealing with the pace of Agathe - his response was that he would hurt him early on and see how much he fancied it. He must only have been 19 at the time, so as you say, passed on from generation to generation back then.

As it turns out, we drew 0-0 with Celtic at ER in that game, and Agathe was *****. Don't think Murray featured though. Anyway, as others have mentioned, there's a category for players who were hard as nails but not outright dirty. Ian is definitely in that.

JackHibs
07-09-2018, 09:30 AM
Surely Kevin Thompson has to be mentioned, loved a tackle

matty_f
07-09-2018, 11:04 AM
Surely Kevin Thompson has to be mentioned, loved a tackle

He was just hard in the tackle (ooh-er missus etc) though, I can't remember him just booting or elbowing someone - not at Hibs anyway.

Barman Stanton
07-09-2018, 11:21 AM
Darren McGregor springs to mind. Not out and out dirty, but if you harm one of his team mates then you are on his list. The big Greek lad found this out!

From the old days Geebsie liked a tackle or two!

WeeRussell
07-09-2018, 11:26 AM
Davie Farrell. Although Darren McCormack didn’t play often for first team, he had a bit about him! Callum Milne liked a tackle too.

Like that heid-butt on the jambo!

I think we're probably guilty of thinking our players aren't dirty when they play for us e.g. I reckon Scott Brown was exactly the same at us as he is at Celtic... only we liked him better in the olden days :greengrin

WeeRussell
07-09-2018, 11:28 AM
Darren McGregor springs to mind. Not out and out dirty, but if you harm one of his team mates then you are on his list. The big Greek lad found this out!

From the old days Geebsie liked a tackle or two!

Know what you're saying re protecting his team mates, but I think MacGregor is actually anything but dirty.

07-09-2018, 11:29 AM
Ian Black, horrible little thug. I remember in the 4-0 game against the huns at ER, Allan rang rings around him and the only way Black could try and cope with him was to kick lumps out of him.

Barman Stanton
07-09-2018, 11:40 AM
Know what you're saying re protecting his team mates, but I think MacGregor is actually anything but dirty.

Why I said not out and out dirty. But he is quite fond of handing out a bit of justice when required.

Hillsidehibby
07-09-2018, 11:58 AM
Geebsie’s stamp on Scott Crabbes plums was quite robust. Poor lad was stretchered off!!

Smartie
07-09-2018, 12:06 PM

That incident with the Asteras player was about as dirty as you're likely to see.

Not that I'm complaining. It's part of the game, and if anything I think we've been too soft, too often in the past.

McGregor made as significant contribution to us winning that tie with that tangle as any other player did.

We've sorely missed the physicality of McGregor, Bartley and McGinn lately.

Getting the first 2 back into our team will make a huge difference to us.

WeeRussell
07-09-2018, 12:10 PM
That incident with the Asteras player was about as dirty as you're likely to see.

Not that I'm complaining. It's part of the game, and if anything I think we've been too soft, too often in the past.

McGregor made as significant contribution to us winning that tie with that tangle as any other player did.

Admittedly that was far from squeaky clean :greengrin

HoboHarry
07-09-2018, 12:35 PM

The McGregor tackle and then grabbing the ball had me cheering for 5 minutes then laughing for two hours - brilliant stuff and silenced the Greek erse (or whatever nationality the player was)........

AndyM_1875
I do remember watching Matty Jack have an AEK player by the throat. He could dish it out.
He was magnificent in that game.

500miles
He was just hard in the tackle (ooh-er missus etc) though, I can't remember him just booting or elbowing someone - not at Hibs anyway.

Na, Thomson was a dirty player, especially second time around.

Keith_M
07-09-2018, 12:44 PM

The man was an animal!!!

And yet he was voted Ranger's Greatest Ever Player.

Says a lot about what style of football appeals to them the most.

Keith_M
07-09-2018, 12:45 PM
The McGregor tackle and then grabbing the ball had me cheering for 5 minutes then laughing for two hours - brilliant stuff and silenced the Greek erse (or whatever nationality the player was)........

He was an Argentinian erse...and boy did he deserve that 'tackle'.

HoboHarry
07-09-2018, 12:55 PM
He was an Argentinian erse...and boy did he deserve that 'tackle'.
:agree: It was in my thoughts that he wasn't Greek but I couldn't remember the nationality. Even the wife was laughing at that one.....

brog
07-09-2018, 01:12 PM
There's a distinction between being hard & being dirty which seems to have been lost in some of these comments. The 2 dirtiest players I ever saw were Johnny Giles & for Hibs, Bertie Auld. Both wee guys & fine footballers but were never afraid to put the foot in, usually about knee height. In or about 1970 we played Middlesbrough pre season at ER. Pre match the talk was all about the potential clash between supposed hard man, Nobby Stiles & oor Bertie. Sure enough 1st 2 times Auld got the ball, Stiles went in late & kicked him. 3rd time, Bertie pretended to miscontrol the ball, Nobby lunged in & Bertie stamped on Stiles' extended leg. Result Bertie walks away, Stiles carried off after about 20 minutes IIRC.

Is It On....
07-09-2018, 01:29 PM
Smashing Ian Black is more a pleasure thing :greengrin

I always thought Kenny Black was worse..remember Hibs Monthly with a story that he got shipped of to Portsmouth in a cage 😂

theonlywayisup
07-09-2018, 02:54 PM
As Scotland are playing tonight, anyone remember David Speedie from the 80s?

I remember one mate couldn't believe we stooped so low to have David Speedie in the team. All he did was barge into people and kick them.

brog
07-09-2018, 03:16 PM

I remember one mate couldn't believe we stooped so low to have David Speedie in the team. All he did was barge into people and kick them.

He scored over 300 goals for top flight English teams. Wish we had someone of that quality now.

HoboHarry
07-09-2018, 03:18 PM
He scored over 300 goals for top flight English teams. Wish we had someone of that quality now.
You sure it was that many?

brog
07-09-2018, 03:21 PM
You sure it was that many?

Sorry, doing 2 things at once. He played over 300 games in the top flight & averaged about a goal every 3 games. Still better than anything we have now.

SquashedFrogg
07-09-2018, 03:56 PM

Brilliant shout. God there's a name. Good wee player though. Don't knock wee Speedie.

tynehibs
07-09-2018, 04:01 PM
All the hibee boys thought we were in heaven when big Alan Gordon made it 7

BILLYHIBS
07-09-2018, 04:40 PM
Tackling Shades was like tackling a brick wall the best example I can think of for younger posters to view is the 7-0 game. The seventh goal Schaedler goes on a typical lung bursting overlap he kicks the ball too far in front of him a Hearts defender comes across to intercept Schaedler crashes into him allowing his momentum to let the ball travel through to Arthur Duncan who looks up picks out the trusty head of Alan Gordon one flick of the head the ball hits the near post travels along the line to the far post and crosses the line 7-0!
Did you mean this Tynehibs ? :not worth

Tomsk
07-09-2018, 05:33 PM
The only one I can recall being out and out dirty was Farrell. He didn't really have much more to his game. Some the other names mentioned are ridiculous. Darren Jackson. :confused: Pat McGinlay. :hilarious

The best laugh I've had on this thread though is the description if Ian Murray as 'classy'.

tamig
07-09-2018, 05:43 PM
Brilliant shout. God there's a name. Good wee player though. Don't knock wee Speedie.

Great wee player. Superb in the air for his size and a real grafter. Still very highly regarded at Chelsea.

tamig
07-09-2018, 05:45 PM
I could be wrong, but was it not that he was part time?
Actually wasn't a bad defender, not the type I would have liked marking me though . ( not that I needed marked, I was guff!!)

I’m pretty sure Billy Mac had a fairly senior role in the Civil Service.

CentreLine
07-09-2018, 08:28 PM
Dirty players?
When I started going to games in the mid sixties the Hibs players changed in to freshly laundered strips at half time. Always clean and sparkling.

Is that not what you were duscusding? 😜

O'Rourke3
07-09-2018, 08:35 PM
Kenny Burns.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Stantons Angel
07-09-2018, 08:46 PM
And yet he was voted Ranger's Greatest Ever Player.

Says a lot about what style of football appeals to them the most.

Doesnt it just! and they are still the same all these years later.

Its time they evolved into the 21st Century instead of staying steeped in all that bitterness and religion stuff.

No place for that in today's society and especially in football!

Scouse Hibee
07-09-2018, 10:15 PM

Speedie had far more to his game than that.

ancient hibee
07-09-2018, 10:16 PM
I’m pretty sure Billy Mac had a fairly senior role in the Civil Service.
Inland Revenue I think.

Alan Anderson told me that the most painful thing that happened to him on the park(other than 7-0)was against Rangers when Stein grabbed him by the balls and squeezed very hard.It was a few minutes before half time so Alan tried to banjo Stein as they went in.Stein was most upset saying that what happened on the park should stay on the park.

Lancs Harp
07-09-2018, 10:23 PM
Speedie had far more to his game than that.

Speedie signing for Liverpool epitomised Liverpools fall from the top of the mountain.

CraigHibee
08-09-2018, 06:06 AM

Absolutely, looks like he has the making of a "no nonsense" type of player

NGP
08-09-2018, 07:26 AM
Peter Grant was a thug on the pitch. Roy Aitken, Rickson, Hurlock & Berry are the immediate names that I think off when I hear 'dirty player'

In terms of Hibs, Gordon Hunter (as said before a quiet gentle guy away from the pitch), Sloop, Willie Miller and Ian Murray all set out, at times, to do damage.

BILLYHIBS
08-09-2018, 09:00 AM
There's a distinction between being hard & being dirty which seems to have been lost in some of these comments. The 2 dirtiest players I ever saw were Johnny Giles & for Hibs, Bertie Auld. Both wee guys & fine footballers but were never afraid to put the foot in, usually about knee height. In or about 1970 we played Middlesbrough pre season at ER. Pre match the talk was all about the potential clash between supposed hard man, Nobby Stiles & oor Bertie. Sure enough 1st 2 times Auld got the ball, Stiles went in late & kicked him. 3rd time, Bertie pretended to miscontrol the ball, Nobby lunged in & Bertie stamped on Stiles' extended leg. Result Bertie walks away, Stiles carried off after about 20 minutes IIRC.
That was Bertie’s HIBS debut. On the second Stiles challenge he fell awkwardly on the hard ground and broke his collar bone.Tom McNiven came on made a quick diagnosis and told Bertie he would have to come off. OK he said give me five minutes. Five minutes later Nobby Stiles was getting carried off in a stretcher! :greengrin

Leithenhibby
08-09-2018, 03:28 PM
Neil Berry horrendous tackle on Paul Wright broke his leg and all but ended his Hibs career Hearts Bassa !!

I remember that one so well, he was an absolute thug, but no a patch on, Drew Busby🙄

EVENTUALLY
08-09-2018, 03:46 PM
[QUOTE=AK86;5544520]Going back a bit , Billy mclaren was not to messed with.

Kenny Black was born to play for the zombies and the poppy thieves. Horrible horrible little man .[/"]

"Studs" McLaren who Hibs signed from Morton was a dirty B. However the nastiest sleekit sh#@/hoouse of fouling player that I ever seen was Fergie. The great Sir Alex never missed an opportunity to leave a bit on an opponent. Thug.

BILLYHIBS
08-09-2018, 07:00 PM
I cannot let this thread go without mentioning national treasure Sir Alex Ferguson’s tackle on Alex Cropley at Brockville 1972 broke his ankle meant that he missed the 1971/72 Scottish Cup Final.

Eddie Turnbull never spoke to Fegie again - the tackle was that bad.

Fergie later got sent off in the same game.

confused
08-09-2018, 07:47 PM
John Macnamee

The Hardest I ever saw

BILLYHIBS
08-09-2018, 07:56 PM
the hardest i ever saw
they shall not pass!

hibspayne
10-09-2018, 08:46 AM
So wasn't with us long but Martin Scott, if someone caught him, or gave him a kick he spent the rest of the game chasing them around the pitch to give them a kick !!

JimBHibees
10-09-2018, 09:02 AM
I cannot let this thread go without mentioning national treasure Sir Alex Ferguson’s tackle on Alex Cropley at Brockville 1972 broke his ankle meant that he missed the 1971/72 Scottish Cup Final.

Eddie Turnbull never spoke to Fegie again - the tackle was that bad.

Fergie later got sent off in the same game.

Totally hadnt realised Cropley didnt play in that final as was a young pup and mortified we got horsed in the game. Can remember being given a coin or two from friendly/patronising :greengrin Celtic fans at the game every time they scored so made a few bob but absolutely devastated as thought we would win.

Quite an interesting article about Jim Herriot mentioning the final.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/scottish-cup-final-1972-unlucky-hibs-beaten-6-1-1-2937684

Hibs1969
10-09-2018, 09:11 AM
Not one of ours but the footage of Tommy Gemmell chasing after the German player who had just tripped him up is superb. Gemmell ran round Hampden trying and failing to boot the guy up the backside after being fouled by him. Gemmell was sent off and I think Scotland also lost the game and in doing so failed to qualify for the WC in Mexico in 1970. Talk about red mist.

CropleyWasGod
10-09-2018, 09:14 AM
Not one of ours but the footage of Tommy Gemmell chasing after the German player who had just tripped him up is superb. Gemmell ran round Hampden trying and failing to boot the guy up the backside after being fouled by him. Gemmell was sent off and I think Scotland also lost the game and in doing so failed to qualify for the WC in Mexico in 1970. Talk about red mist.

Was in Hamburg, not Hampden. Helmut Haller.

Yeah, we lost 3-2, which all but killed off our hopes of qualifying.

As a young boy, I couldn't help but feel the sheer injustice of it..... "the German guy started it. It's only fair that Gemmell kicked him back." :greengrin

Here it is. It was a borderline decision, no?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9TTvvICNHA

BH Hibs
10-09-2018, 09:24 AM
I remember a player called Mark Dennis down in England he seemed to get sent off every second or third game he played at a time when no one got sent off. Also Kevin Muscat was a total thug.

PatHead
10-09-2018, 09:47 AM
Under our new rules,as demonstrated by Alan McGregor and Naismith, that is probably allowed nowadays.

JimBHibees
10-09-2018, 09:52 AM
Kenny Burns.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

He was nuts can remember a Forest Arsenal game at Highbury and he had a fall out with one of the Arsenal players. The same Arsenal player was trying to edge into Forests defensive wall for a free kick when Burns stood behind him and headbutted him in the back of the head just as the free kick was taken. :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
10-09-2018, 09:54 AM
He was nuts can remember a Forest Arsenal game at Highbury and he had a fall out with one of the Arsenal players. The same Arsenal player was trying to edge into Forests defensive wall for a free kick when Burns stood behind him and headbutted him in the back of the head just as the free kick was taken. :greengrin

The things that stick with you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2NhFoXT9s8

JimBHibees
10-09-2018, 10:09 AM
The things that stick with you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2NhFoXT9s8

Yep thats the one. :greengrin

Greentinted
10-09-2018, 10:13 AM
Maybe more an insidious, toxic wee toad than outright dirty (although he had more than a just a few moments), Joey Barton surely merits inclusion in this gang of radges!

PatHead
10-09-2018, 10:40 AM
Kyle Lafferty must be due a call up to the dirty bassas 11.

brog
10-09-2018, 10:45 AM
Totally hadnt realised Cropley didnt play in that final as was a young pup and mortified we got horsed in the game. Can remember being given a coin or two from friendly/patronising :greengrin Celtic fans at the game every time they scored so made a few bob but absolutely devastated as thought we would win.

Quite an interesting article about Jim Herriot mentioning the final.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/scottish-cup-final-1972-unlucky-hibs-beaten-6-1-1-2937684

Fergie fled up the tunnel at the end pursued by Eric S. Fergie ended up locked in the dressing room with Shades trying to kick it in to get at him.

BILLYHIBS
10-09-2018, 11:47 AM
John Hughes entered the HIBS Changing Room to enquire as to Bobby Duncan’s health after breaking his leg at Easter Road. He had to be removed from the Changing Room by Jock Stein who did not think it was a good idea as things kicked off.

https://www.celticquicknews.co.uk/yogi-hughes-on-jock-stein/

O'Rourke3
10-09-2018, 11:55 AM
He was nuts can remember a Forest Arsenal game at Highbury and he had a fall out with one of the Arsenal players. The same Arsenal player was trying to edge into Forests defensive wall for a free kick when Burns stood behind him and headbutted him in the back of the head just as the free kick was taken. :greengrinThat's the incident that springs to mind for every time I think about him. No retrospective action, not particularly discussed after. No condemnation from Cloughie despite the whole incident captured on close up.

Edit. Just realised CWG added the video [emoji23]

Sent from my KFTBWI using Tapatalk

lapsedhibee
10-09-2018, 02:32 PM
John Hughes entered the HIBS Changing Room to enquire as to Bobby Duncan’s health after breaking his leg at Easter Road. He had to be removed from the Changing Room by Jock Stein who did not think it was a good idea as things kicked off.

https://www.celticquicknews.co.uk/yogi-hughes-on-jock-stein/

"Unfortunately, Bobby had suffered a broken leg when I slid it to try to block the ball. His ankle got caught up in my outstretched leg and he collapsed to the turf in obvious pain. It was a complete accident, I hasten to add. The conditions were slippy that afternoon and we just collided with neither of us able to pull out."

Eh, naw.

Thug.

BILLYHIBS
10-09-2018, 03:41 PM
"Unfortunately, Bobby had suffered a broken leg when I slid it to try to block the ball. His ankle got caught up in my outstretched leg and he collapsed to the turf in obvious pain. It was a complete accident, I hasten to add. The conditions were slippy that afternoon and we just collided with neither of us able to pull out."

Eh, naw.

Thug.
Yip? That’s why I thought it worthy of the dirty players thread!

:thumbsup:

tynehibs
10-09-2018, 03:56 PM
Did you mean this Tynehibs ? :not worth

I did indeed billy , shades was my total hero , and he alone set up that classic goal

BILLYHIBS
10-09-2018, 04:06 PM
I did indeed billy , shades was my total hero , and he alone set up that classic goal

Agree 100%

Met him at his trial for HIBS at Easter Road HIBS v Morton Reserves

He explained that he was on trial from Stirling Albion

He gave me and my friend two complimentary tickets and asked us to meet him after the game

After the game he took us into the old changing room where you could still see the stud marks on the referees door from the Barcelona game and let us run up the tunnel and out onto the pitch

Being HIBS mad twelve year olds this was a tremendous thrill as you can imagine

We both informed him that we thought he had done enough to get offered a contract

The rest they say is history

A nicer guy you could not wish to meet.

A HIBS legend

RIP

:not worth

Mibbes Aye
10-09-2018, 04:52 PM

May have this wrong but am sure Burns won back-to-back player of the year, or writers’ player of the year awards round about the time Forest did so well in Europe, and I think he was the only Scotsman to do so., even Dalglish didn’t manage it. He was hard as nails but good enough for Clough. The Scotland team from his time was scary, full of guys winning European Cups and English league titles. Players like Souness were criminally overlooked yet it seemed justifiable at the time.

brog
10-09-2018, 06:00 PM
May have this wrong but am sure Burns won back-to-back player of the year, or writers’ player of the year awards round about the time Forest did so well in Europe, and I think he was the only Scotsman to do so., even Dalglish didn’t manage it. He was hard as nails but good enough for Clough. The Scotland team from his time was scary, full of guys winning European Cups and English league titles. Players like Souness were criminally overlooked yet it seemed justifiable at the time.

Kenny often played up front with Trevor Francis but he couldn't stand him. Kenny felt he did all the work & Trev got all the glory. When Scotland were playing England, Francis was running riot & Kenny was on the bench. He begged Ally Macleod to let him on so he could have a kick at Francis. When Ally told him to warm up, Kenny ran down the track calling Francis an English p--f & telling him he was coming on to kick his Henry Halls into his throat. Charming!

Pedantic_Hibee
10-09-2018, 07:20 PM
Pasquale Bruno.

bigwheel
10-09-2018, 07:47 PM
Has Terry Hurlock been mentioned yet...he was an absolute animal.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ancient hibee
10-09-2018, 08:34 PM
Hibs formed a wall against a Rangers free kick.Johnston decided to worm his way in so Jim Blair stood on his ankle.Johnston nutted him and got sent off.Happy days.

WoreTheGreen
10-09-2018, 08:42 PM
My ex teacher Bobby Ford

matty_f
10-09-2018, 09:03 PM
Quite a few of the dirty players mentioned in this thread never played for Hibs. Just saying...

weecounty hibby
10-09-2018, 09:06 PM
Doug Rougvie. Gregor Stevens. Almost every Hun defender during the seventies and early eighties. They had carte blanch to boot everyone as referees let them away with (almost) murder every week