PDA

View Full Version : Uefa nations league

Pages : [1] 2

Leith Green
05-09-2018, 08:32 PM
Quite possibly the most complicated setup ever. Im totally confused.

eastterrace
05-09-2018, 08:37 PM

Yes I wonder if anyone can explain what it’s all about

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Smartie
05-09-2018, 08:43 PM
I'm normally quite into the national team, but I'm finding it hard to get excited about this.

What exactly is the point?

we are hibs
05-09-2018, 08:44 PM
Can someone explain what happens if Scotland finish top of their group (lol) and where that leaves us in terms of the euros, also is there no qualifying for the euros now?3

tamig
05-09-2018, 08:54 PM
Can someone explain what happens if Scotland finish top of their group (lol) and where that leaves us in terms of the euros, also is there no qualifying for the euros now?3

Yes there will be Euro qualifiers. This is just an extra possible entry route.

B.H.F.C
05-09-2018, 08:54 PM

Euro qualification runs March to November next year or something like that. Don’t know how many games.

Winning your group in the nations league gets you a second chance at qualifying for the euros, if you don’t qualify from your qualifying group.

That’s as much as I know.

lord bunberry
05-09-2018, 08:55 PM
This explains it, I’m not really any further forward though
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/36166/11489941/uefa-nations-league-explained

Juniper Greens
05-09-2018, 09:02 PM
I'm going to Portugal v Italy on Monday, was really looking forward to it. Then all my Portuguese friends said "is that not a friendly?...what is nations league?"
Clearly only us wee countries care about it

Sir David Gray
05-09-2018, 09:02 PM
20 out of the 24 places for Euro 2020 will be decided by the normal qualification process for Euro 2020.

The other 4 places will be decided via a play off round. There will be 16 teams who will play in the play offs and their place will be determined by their performance in the Nations League.

If a group winner from the Nations League hasn't already qualified for Euro 2020 via the normal qualification route, they will play in the play offs. If they have already qualified, that place goes to the team with the next best ranking in that group.

Explained better here (taken from Wikipedia);

The 16 selected teams will be chosen as follows, starting with League D and working up to League A:[5]

All available group winners will be selected.
If a group winner has already qualified through the UEFA Euro 2020 qualifying group stage, they will be replaced by the next best-ranked team from the same league which has not also already qualified.
If fewer than four teams from a given league have failed to qualify, then the remaining spaces for that league will be allocated by the overall Nations League ranking:
If the league has a group winner selected for the play-offs, the next best team in the overall ranking from a lower league will be selected.
If the league has no group winner available, the best team in the overall ranking will be selected.

mike1875
05-09-2018, 09:04 PM
There will be Euro qualifiers next year, 10 groups, 2 teams qualifying from each group, that leaves 4 places.

The winners of each group in each division of the Nations League will go into a playoff (1 legged semi final and final) with the other group winners of their league. The winner of each playoff qualify for the Euros. These playoffs take place after the regular Euro qualifiers so if you have already qualified and you won your nations league group your play off place goes to the next best ranked team who has not already qualified.

It means at least one team from each league will qualify for Euro 2020.

Juniper Greens
05-09-2018, 09:19 PM
There will be Euro qualifiers next year, 10 groups, 2 teams qualifying from each group, that leaves 4 places.

The winners of each group in each division of the Nations League will go into a playoff (1 legged semi final and final) with the other group winners of their league. The winner of each playoff qualify for the Euros. These playoffs take place after the regular Euro qualifiers so if you have already qualified and you won your nations league group your play off place goes to the next best ranked team who has not already qualified.

It means at least one team from each league will qualify for Euro 2020.

Which means space for at least one League D team...tactical defeats for Scotland this time anyone? Get relegated, then qualify for the WC

danhibees1875
05-09-2018, 09:24 PM
I quite like it and think that if you give it a chance to read through what's happening it's not as complicated as people make out.

It's quite interesting that there is a winner from each league, if we are going to fail to qualify through this then it would be in our interests to try to get relegated into league D I guess. :greengrin

Frazerbob
05-09-2018, 09:59 PM
I'm normally quite into the national team, but I'm finding it hard to get excited about this.

What exactly is the point?

Qualification for the finals, win our league and gain promotion, progression for the national team. Much better than the meaningless friendlies it will eventually replace.

LaMotta
05-09-2018, 10:16 PM
It's really not that confusuing:cool2:

Diclonius
05-09-2018, 10:20 PM
Rather this than meaningless friendlies against the likes of Qatar.

jacomo
05-09-2018, 11:42 PM
Rather this than meaningless friendlies against the likes of Qatar.

Does it mean Scotland will now never play a non-European country now unless we qualify for a WC?

Presumably there will still be warm up matches for the WC, so there is that.

Future17
06-09-2018, 05:13 AM
We still play friendlies (like on Friday), just fewer of them.

I don't think people will really get the Nations League until they see how some nations qualify for Euro 2020 through it.

Sir David Gray
06-09-2018, 05:26 AM
Also teams will be promoted and relegated in the Nations League in time for the next one in two years' time.

The top teams in all the groups of League B, C and D will be promoted to the League above and the teams who finish bottom of all the groups in League A, B and C (along with the worst 3rd placed team from League C) will be relegated to the League below.

Lendo
06-09-2018, 06:57 AM
It's maybe hard to get excited about being in a group of three with Israel and Albania. Perhaps if we can win promotion to the group above the potential fixtures might hold a bit more appeal.

.Sean.
06-09-2018, 07:07 AM
A lot of garbage, much like international football in general.

Hibbyradge
06-09-2018, 07:25 AM
Which means space for at least one League D team...tactical defeats for Scotland this time anyone? Get relegated, then qualify for the WC

This is for the Euros not the World Cup.

patlowe
06-09-2018, 08:22 AM
It sounds confusing and easy to dismiss but these upcoming fixtures vs Albania and Israel really are crucial. If we don't win this group then qualification will be incredibly difficult as we would need to finish top 2 in a traditional qualifying group.

Where it may get complicated is if/when teams start qualifying through the traditional route that already have a playoff place and how those places then filter down. We cross that bridge when we come to it I guess...

Juniper Greens
06-09-2018, 08:26 AM
This is for the Euros not the World Cup.

I think they said next time it might open up a place or two for the WC in Qatar?

Hibbyradge
06-09-2018, 08:40 AM
I think they said next time it might open up a place or two for the WC in Qatar?

Right. I haven't seen anything about that.

JimBHibees
06-09-2018, 08:43 AM

Yes the world cup was rubbish wasnt it.

Juniper Greens
06-09-2018, 08:50 AM
Right. I haven't seen anything about that.

Looks like just places for leagues A and B, promotion this season is a must then!
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/03/27/sport/football/football-nations-league/index.html

.Sean.
06-09-2018, 08:58 AM
Yes the world cup was rubbish wasnt it.
You tell me, I watched a handful of games?

soul_driver
06-09-2018, 09:03 AM
Full info and some explanatory videos here

https://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/

Gives us a great second chance of qualifying if we fail to qualify through the traditional qualifying.

McSwanky
06-09-2018, 09:08 AM
Looks like Scotland are in a good position this year - if they win the 3-team group, then they are the best ranked team out of the 4 semi-finalists to gain a place at the Euros.

Not sure how I see this whole thing TBH, on one hand it gives smaller teams in groups C & D a chance to qualify where they would normally have no chance through traditional qualifying. But on the other hand, it gives the bigger teams a second chance to qualify if they fail to get through the 'usual' way (e.g. Netherlands).

calumhibee1
06-09-2018, 09:10 AM

Thought the World Cup was really good to be honest. I’m not big into internationals other than the tournaments.

JimBHibees
06-09-2018, 09:16 AM

Well done.

Barman Stanton
06-09-2018, 09:50 AM

That’s a shame, most football fans seemed to enjoy it. Plenty top games, best players in the world, loads of upsets, games pretty much every day. Even included a couple of Hibees although one not until after. Not sure what wasn’t to like.

PatHead
06-09-2018, 09:54 AM
That’s a shame, most football fans seemed to enjoy it. Plenty top games, best players in the world, loads of upsets, games pretty much every day. Even included a couple of Hibees although one not until after. Not sure what wasn’t to like.

The only thing wrong with it was we weren’t there.

Barman Stanton
06-09-2018, 09:57 AM
The only thing wrong with it was we weren’t there.

Totally agree. Which is where some people in Scotland’s lack of interest in internationals come in I think. We have been that bad for so long, some won’t even remember us being at a Tournament. But when you think back to Italia 90 etc, the whole country was gripped.

PatHead
06-09-2018, 10:00 AM
Totally agree. Which is where some people in Scotland’s lack of interest in internationals come in I think. We have been that bad for so long, some won’t even remember us being at a Tournament. But when you think back to Italia 90 etc, the whole country was gripped.

Should have seen the excitement in 74 when we made it to the finals for the first time in donkeys years.

Barman Stanton
06-09-2018, 10:22 AM
Should have seen the excitement in 74 when we made it to the finals for the first time in donkeys years.

Ha well Mexico 86 was the first I remember properly. Maradona, Laudrup, Butragueno, Sanchez etc. Was a lot more exotic back then as well as you didn’t see the players every week like now.

calumhibee1
06-09-2018, 10:23 AM

I think that’s where my lack of interest stems from. I don’t remember Scotland in a major tournament. Hard to get into it when as far as I’m concerned we’ve never in my life time made it and don’t look like it any time soon.

Bristolhibby
06-09-2018, 10:44 AM

Except your rankings for the Euros are partly dependant on your Nations League performance. Higher seeding, higher pot.

J

Bristolhibby
06-09-2018, 10:46 AM
I think that’s where my lack of interest stems from. I don’t remember Scotland in a major tournament. Hard to get into it when as far as I’m concerned we’ve never in my life time made it and don’t look like it any time soon.

I started following Scotland Away from home in 2003. 5 years after our last tournament appearance. At the time I assumed missing Euro 2000 and WC 2002 was a blip and that we’d bounce back.

How wrong was I?

J

Bad Martini
06-09-2018, 11:38 AM

The problems started when John Collins scored that penalty against Brazil and pissed them off. :greengrin:thumbsup:

Still, I remember the furore and radgeness when it hit the back of the net on the joyous (moment) back in 1998; the chat, some fuelled by many pints of slapping these *****y brazillians and who the **** are they to mess with us. Err, good old Tommy Boyd seen that dream off.

The rest is history. :greengrin

However, if we know one thing following Hibs....it does EVENTUALLY work out. A certain date in May not so long ago springs to mind. what goes around, comes around.

We'll be coming...

lord bunberry
06-09-2018, 11:53 AM
Am I right in saying that Scotland can’t win this tournament?

CropleyWasGod
06-09-2018, 11:56 AM
Am I right in saying that Scotland can’t win this tournament?It's not a tournament as such. It's a league. If we win our particular bit of it, we'll get promoted and get entry to the EC.

I'm not sure if there's a trophy for the country that wins the top league.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Peevemor
06-09-2018, 12:00 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/everything-scotland-fans-need-to-know-about-the-uefa-nations-league-1-4794599

lord bunberry
06-09-2018, 12:06 PM
It's not a tournament as such. It's a league. If we win our particular bit of it, we'll get promoted and get entry to the EC.

I'm not sure if there's a trophy for the country that wins the top league.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
I think there might be a trophy. I was just watching one of the Belgian players talking about it and he said that it was a new trophy and that they wanted to win it. I know the four group winners go into a finals competition.

Gloucester Hibs
06-09-2018, 12:10 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/everything-scotland-fans-need-to-know-about-the-uefa-nations-league-1-4794599

Thanks! Sounds pretty good actually. Not sure I agree with some duff sides from the bottom groups being awarded a EC spot though? Will have to see how it all plays out.

Peevemor
06-09-2018, 12:22 PM
Thanks! Sounds pretty good actually. Not sure I agree with some duff sides from the bottom groups being awarded a EC spot though? Will have to see how it all plays out.

I don't really have a problem with that.

What I don't like is that although the idea is to replace meaningless friendly matches, teams only play against others of the same level - something that doesn't happen in the main tournament qualifiers or finals.

danhibees1875
06-09-2018, 12:25 PM

That's my take on it. :agree:

We'd need to get promoted up to League A, win our group and then win the semi and final.

Or just get relegated to League D and qualify for the Euro's every time by beating Georgia, Faroe Islands, and Vatican City. :greengrin

Barman Stanton
06-09-2018, 12:27 PM
The problems started when John Collins scored that penalty against Brazil and pissed them off. :greengrin:thumbsup:

Still, I remember the furore and radgeness when it hit the back of the net on the joyous (moment) back in 1998; the chat, some fuelled by many pints of slapping these *****y brazillians and who the **** are they to mess with us. Err, good old Tommy Boyd seen that dream off.

The rest is history. :greengrin

However, if we know one thing following Hibs....it does EVENTUALLY work out. A certain date in May not so long ago springs to mind. what goes around, comes around.

We'll be coming...

Always thought it was hilarious when Collins winks at the camera as the teams were lined up. He actually thought he was the best player on the pitch such was his confidence.

That Brazil team though, Ronaldo, Cafu, Carlos, Rivaldo, Dunga etc. We did not bad considering.

Gloucester Hibs
06-09-2018, 12:36 PM
I don't really have a problem with that.

What I don't like is that although the idea is to replace meaningless friendly matches, teams only play against others of the same level - something that doesn't happen in the main tournament qualifiers or finals.

It's probably ok with the Euros as they are in their expanded format, most of the big guns will be there anyway. But if the plan if for this to continue for world cup qualification I can't see, for example, Italy, Holland et al being happy to sit out while the likes of Andorra achieve qualification through the nations league? Doubt FIFA would be too chuffed either. But not sure if this exact format is to continue for WC qualification?

Juniper Greens
06-09-2018, 12:49 PM
It's probably ok with the Euros as they are in their expanded format, most of the big guns will be there anyway. But if the plan if for this to continue for world cup qualification I can't see, for example, Italy, Holland et al being happy to sit out while the likes of Andorra achieve qualification through the nations league? Doubt FIFA would be too chuffed either. But not sure if this exact format is to continue for WC qualification?

Looks like only Leagues A and B get the WC space for WC2022

Gloucester Hibs
06-09-2018, 12:57 PM
Looks like only Leagues A and B get the WC space for WC2022

Ah right, seems fair enough then. :aok:

Hamish
06-09-2018, 01:40 PM
Wales v ROI on S4C for those of us without Sky. I see McClean is injured so perhaps Horgan might be on bench?

nellio
06-09-2018, 01:46 PM
Wales v ROI on S4C for those of us without Sky. I see McClean is injured so perhaps Horgan might be on bench?

They normally do English language commentary through red button.

We've got Denmark on Sunday and all their players are in some sort of dispute so their squad consists of Futsal and lower division players!!

Keith_M
06-09-2018, 01:51 PM
Does anybody know the ticket prices for the Belgium game?

I had a look on the SFA mobile site but couldnt find that part.

Billy Whizz
06-09-2018, 01:53 PM

https://tickets.scottishfa.co.uk/Online/default.asp

Keith_M
06-09-2018, 01:59 PM
https://tickets.scottishfa.co.uk/Online/default.asp

Cheers Billy 😊

SteveHFC
06-09-2018, 03:47 PM

More looking forward to heading through for this game tomororw than Monday. Will be good to see the likes of Hazard and Lukaku playing.

ancient hibee
06-09-2018, 03:56 PM
That was the best team we have sent to the Finals.Playing Zaire first cost us qualification.It was their Final and they worked hard to keep the score down.The other two games they were hopeless.

Sir David Gray
06-09-2018, 04:30 PM

Correct.

Think of it being similar to the SPFL set up. There's League A, League B, League C and League D.

League A is for the top teams and within League A there's 4 groups. The winners of each group go into the Finals next year. There's then two semi finals, a third place play off and a final. The winner of the final then wins the trophy.

The teams in League B, C and D are playing to be promoted into the League above them in the next Nations League and also for qualification into the play offs for Euro 2020.

calumhibee1
06-09-2018, 05:49 PM
Correct.

Think of it being similar to the SPFL set up. There's League A, League B, League C and League D.

League A is for the top teams and within League A there's 4 groups. The winners of each group go into the Finals next year. There's then two semi finals, a third place play off and a final. The winner of the final then wins the trophy.

The teams in League B, C and D are playing to be promoted into the League above them in the next Nations League and also for qualification into the play offs for Euro 2020.

So from the Nations League there’s only one team goes to the Euros?

CropleyWasGod
06-09-2018, 06:08 PM

From each league. Which means we have a good chance to f it up :greengrin

Juniper Greens
06-09-2018, 06:08 PM

No.
4 group winners in league d play each other for one place
4 in c do the same, and b and a
Gets complicated when group winners have already qualified, but there are a total of four places up for grabs

H18 SFR
06-09-2018, 06:12 PM
This isn't catching my attention sadly.

pacoluna
06-09-2018, 06:27 PM

Tell Lewis Stevenson that.

Saturday Boy
06-09-2018, 06:34 PM

Hibs legend Owain Tudor Jones part of the S4C team for tonight’s game

Sir David Gray
06-09-2018, 06:37 PM

From the Nations League 16 teams will go into the play offs (this will be determined by the group placings in each of the four leagues.) Of the 16 teams in the play offs they are split into 4 sub-sections and the winner of each sub-section qualifies for Euro 2020.

20 of the 24 places at Euro 2020 will be decided by the normal qualification route and the other 4 places will come from the Nations League play offs.

Booker5time
06-09-2018, 06:48 PM
So Basically win our group and we promoted to League B and with a one off semi and final to get a place to the euros.

so 6 games to get to the euros against teams who are grouped at the same level as us.

seems pretty straight forward to me, What could go wrong :greengrin :wink:

theonlywayisup
06-09-2018, 06:53 PM
Great goal - one nil Wales

theonlywayisup
06-09-2018, 07:05 PM
Bale is unplayable - two nil

Newry Hibs
06-09-2018, 07:07 PM
So is this nations league every 4 years? I.e. for European championships.

theonlywayisup
06-09-2018, 07:25 PM
3-0 Ramsey

Sir David Gray
06-09-2018, 07:39 PM
So is this nations league every 4 years? I.e. for European championships.

Every two years. It's proposed that the next one in 2020-21 will allow European teams another chance of qualifying for the World Cup in 2022.

O'Rourke3
06-09-2018, 07:39 PM
That was the best team we have sent to the Finals.Playing Zaire first cost us qualification.It was their Final and they worked hard to keep the score down.The other two games they were hopeless.Bremner slowed the game down at two. It wasn't until Yugoslavia put 9 past them that goal difference became suddenly obvious. The Brazilians went into their final game knowing 3 was enough no matter what happened between Scotland and Yugoslavia. We needed to beat them by at least two. The rules changed after we went out without losing a game. I was 12 at the time and thought we got off to a flier too. Totally agree the best squad.

Sent from my KFTBWI using Tapatalk

Hiber-nation
06-09-2018, 08:02 PM
Wales looking very good, 4-0.

nellio
06-09-2018, 08:11 PM
Wales looking very good, 4-0.

4 1 now mistake from Rambo. Loving Wales tonight the young guys look superb. Ampadu is only 17.

Hiber-nation
06-09-2018, 08:21 PM
Horgan on

Betty Boop
06-09-2018, 08:24 PM
How bad are the ROI

lord bunberry
06-09-2018, 08:54 PM
That Irish shirt is a thing of beauty.

Bristolhibby
06-09-2018, 08:58 PM
That's my take on it. :agree:

We'd need to get promoted up to League A, win our group and then win the semi and final.

Or just get relegated to League D and qualify for the Euro's every time by beating Georgia, Faroe Islands, and Vatican City. :greengrin

Right enough, we have a great record against Georgia, Faroes, the Vatican and and Narnia.

Win our group out of Israel and Albania, win a semi and then a final against similar ranked teams and we are in the Euros.

That’s what we should all be focusing on.

That and actually qualifying for the Euros normally.

J

majorhibs
06-09-2018, 09:04 PM

Stop following for a while, make up your own mind for once, let something run it’s course, see if you do indeed like or understand it, even allow a couple games 1st? How about nowadays eh, write it off before it’s been seen cos it’s gettin a bit negative press!

ancient hibee
06-09-2018, 09:50 PM
Bremner slowed the game down at two. It wasn't until Yugoslavia put 9 past them that goal difference became suddenly obvious. The Brazilians went into their final game knowing 3 was enough no matter what happened between Scotland and Yugoslavia. We needed to beat them by at least two. The rules changed after we went out without losing a game. I was 12 at the time and thought we got off to a flier too. Totally agree the best squad.

Sent from my KFTBWI using Tapatalk
If only Bremner hadn’t run into the ball against Brazil.:greengrin

RyeSloan
06-09-2018, 11:00 PM
It’s brilliant for Scotland. Win our group and we are two games away from the EC. And the two games are assured to be of similar or lower ranking to us.

I also like the fact it allows a couple of ‘minnows’ a EC berth. The competition has been expanded relentlessly so it’s about time a couple of the smaller nations were allowed to take part...a few more Icelandesque stories help make a tourney.

O'Rourke3
07-09-2018, 05:44 AM
If only Bremner hadn’t run into the ball against Brazil.:greengrinIndeed. Dave Hay was world class that game. Think he was at Chelsea by them so no longer a weegie bassa [emoji23]

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Centre Hawf
07-09-2018, 05:49 AM
It was hard to grasp at first. But i actually support this idea. It does seem to bring something new to the table.

calumhibee1
07-09-2018, 07:37 AM
Think I’ve got it now. So my last question.. the 4 group winners in League Cgo into a playoff and the winner goes into the Euros. Do all 4 teams get promoted to League B or just the team that goes to the Euros?

soul_driver
07-09-2018, 07:46 AM
Think I’ve got it now. So my last question.. the 4 group winners in League Cgo into a playoff and the winner goes into the Euros. Do all 4 teams get promoted to League B or just the team that goes to the Euros?

All 4 get promoted.

calumhibee1
07-09-2018, 08:01 AM
All 4 get promoted.

Cheers!

McSwanky
07-09-2018, 08:15 AM
All 4 get promoted.

Is it not that they just get promoted to the next group up, rather than the next league up? i.e. if Scotland win, they go up to League B group 4, but whoever wins League C Group 2 only goes up to League C Group 1?

My head's spinning!

Edit: Just read it again, and it looks like you're right and I'm wrong... all 4 group winners do indeed go up a League rather than just a Group.

JimBHibees
07-09-2018, 08:20 AM
Right enough, we have a great record against Georgia, Faroes, the Vatican and and Narnia.

Win our group out of Israel and Albania, win a semi and then a final against similar ranked teams and we are in the Euros.

That’s what we should all be focusing on.

That and actually qualifying for the Euros normally.

J

We were really unlucky against Narnia when their striker sneaked into the box unnoticed due to a pass through the wardrobe. :greengrin

Keith_M
07-09-2018, 12:49 PM
We were really unlucky against Narnia when their striker sneaked into the box unnoticed due to a pass through the wardrobe. :greengrin

Is that that the guy that played against us recently for Linfield?

Hibbyradge
07-09-2018, 01:18 PM

It has mine.

If we win our group, we're in a semi final against opponents with similar ability.

If we won that, the excitement next June about the final would be electric.

The game would be at a neutral venue to it offers the possibility of another jolly for the TA

In my opinion, this is far, far more interesting than friendlies against the likes of the Faroe Islands, South Africa etc.

Danderhall Hibs
07-09-2018, 01:20 PM
It has mine.

If we win our group, we're in a semi final against opponents with similar ability.

If we won that, the excitement next June about the final would be electric.

The game would be at a neutral venue to it offers the possibility of another jolly for the TA

In my opinion, this is far, far more interesting than friendlies against the likes of the Faroe Islands, South Africa etc.

:agree: absolutely.

I don’t think the media have done a good job of explaining this - they seem content to attempt to ridicule it and make it seem complicated.

Hibbyradge
07-09-2018, 01:26 PM
Is it not that they just get promoted to the next group up, rather than the next league up? i.e. if Scotland win, they go up to League B group 4, but whoever wins League C Group 2 only goes up to League C Group 1?

My head's spinning!

Edit: Just read it again, and it looks like you're right and I'm wrong... all 4 group winners do indeed go up a League rather than just a Group.

That's right, apart from the 4 League 1 winners. They play for the Nations Championship. The 4 lowest teams in each league get relegated, apart from those in Leave 4 who are ritually humiliated by their fans instead. :greengrin

It's very good. I'm impressed with the thinking behind this.

Lancs Harp
07-09-2018, 01:28 PM
Its got to be better to playing competitive matches than just what appear to be random friendlies. I like the idea that sides in group D for instance are getting a better chance to play more competitive matches. Must be difficult for the likes of your Andorras, Leichtensteins, San Marinos etc to play in the usual tournament qualification stages and constantly get banjoed.

Going to be a lot of up and downs with most groups having three teams in them (I think) and one team going up and one team going down!

Makes a welcome change IMO, the weeks/weekends are already fenced off for internationals anyway. Might as well be competitive.

Hibbyradge
07-09-2018, 01:28 PM
Another benefit is that teams in League 1 and most in 2 will probably qualify for the Euros without the need for the Nations route, leaving more places for the team's in League 3.

McSwanky
07-09-2018, 01:29 PM
That's right, apart from the 4 League 1 winners. They play for the Nations Championship. The 4 lowest teams in each league get relegated, apart from those in Leave 4 who are ritually humiliated by their fans instead. :greengrin

It's very good. I'm impressed with the thinking behind this.

I like it when new things happen that haven't been tried before. Think all will become a lot clearer for Joe Bloggs once the thing gets going in anger.

I'm looking forward to it!

McSwanky
07-09-2018, 01:32 PM
Another benefit is that teams in League 1 and most in 2 will probably qualify for the Euros without the need for the Nations route, leaving more places for the team's in League 3.

You mean Leagues A and B? :greengrin

And how do the places go down a league? I thought that those that already qualified didn't enter the semi finals, meaning someone else in their league would get their place, rather than dropping down a league? I'm probably wrong again though!

Hibbyradge
07-09-2018, 01:35 PM
Would I be right in thinking that 2 home wins and 2 away draws would be enough to win the group?

We'd have 8 points the other two would only have 1 with only 2 games left.

Of course we could easily mess it up, but what a chance to get to an international semi-final. :greengrin

Hibbyradge
07-09-2018, 01:36 PM
You mean Leagues A and B? :greengrin

And how do the places go down a league? I thought that those that already qualified didn't enter the semi finals, meaning someone else in their league would get their place, rather than dropping down a league? I'm probably wrong again though!

Ah, maybe that's it. I need to read it again.

Yes I meant A, B and C. :doh:

Hibbyradge
07-09-2018, 01:51 PM
Here you go;

"If a group winner has already qualified through the conventional qualifying group stage, they will be replaced by the next best-ranked team in the same league.

However, if there are not enough teams in the same league, then the spot will go to the next best team in the overall ranking.

However, group winners cannot face teams from a higher league."

I'm just not what is meant by "overall ranking". I thought it meant the next best team in the Leagues, but maybe it's the UEFA ranking.

RyeSloan
07-09-2018, 02:42 PM
Here you go;

"If a group winner has already qualified through the conventional qualifying group stage, they will be replaced by the next best-ranked team in the same league.

However, if there are not enough teams in the same league, then the spot will go to the next best team in the overall ranking.

However, group winners cannot face teams from a higher league."

I'm just not what is meant by "overall ranking". I thought it meant the next best team in the Leagues, but maybe it's the UEFA ranking.

It’s UEFA ranking.

G B Young
07-09-2018, 02:45 PM

From what I can work out it strikes me as a rather convoluted way to give more of the smaller teams a shot at playing at a major tournament. I don't really agree with making it easier to qualify as it diminishes the quality of the tournament itself. There are plans afoot to increase the World Cup to an absurd 48 teams, which can only be down to what the organisers see as a chance to rake in more cash for TV rights etc. It would almost be harder NOT to qualify than qualify.

While it would doubtless extend Scotland's 22 year exile, I actually think there should be less teams in the World Cup and the Euros rather than more.

Hamish
07-09-2018, 06:11 PM
Slivka starts for Lithuania

Mcpakeisgod
07-09-2018, 06:15 PM
Looking forward to it, mon eh Scots !

SingaporeHibs
07-09-2018, 06:22 PM
Best chance we are going to get for qualification. We’re in a Low group (c) for this which gives us a 2nd chance if we need it to qualify for a major championship. Best chance we’ve had for years so we really need to take this seriously and take all the advantage we might get from it. No messing about, this is it for us. If we win our mini group we’ll be promoted for the next Nations league and the chances of the extra spot become harder. Now is the time. Let’s get this right

Smartie
07-09-2018, 06:31 PM
Is that that the guy that played against us recently for Linfield?

No, he made it up.

He's lion.

B.H.F.C
07-09-2018, 06:34 PM
Best chance we are going to get for qualification. We’re in a Low group (c) for this which gives us a 2nd chance if we need it to qualify for a major championship. Best chance we’ve had for years so we really need to take this seriously and take all the advantage we might get from it. No messing about, this is it for us. If we win our mini group we’ll be promoted for the next Nations league and the chances of the extra spot become harder. Now is the time. Let’s get this right

Very much this. If we can’t qualify for this tournament I’m not sure we ever will.

Looking at that team tonight there is actually the makings of a decent team IMO. McLeish needs to be brave enough to persist with it. Loads of good young players there. The likes of Tierney, Robertson, McGinn, Fraser and McGregor all playing at good levels and/or at big clubs consistently.

Smartie
07-09-2018, 06:41 PM
Very much this. If we can’t qualify for this tournament I’m not sure we ever will.

Looking at that team tonight there is actually the makings of a decent team IMO. McLeish needs to be brave enough to persist with it. Loads of good young players there. The likes of Tierney, Robertson, McGinn, Fraser and McGregor all playing at good levels and/or at big clubs consistently.

There is a smattering of pretty decent talent.

My mate reckons we're about 4 years off having a golden generation.

I wouldn't go that far, but there are certainly promising signs.

HIBERNIAN-0762
07-09-2018, 06:47 PM
We really do need a new national anthem 😔

B.H.F.C
07-09-2018, 06:56 PM
Game tonight should be at ER.

SaulGoodman
07-09-2018, 06:58 PM
Does Andy walker have a grudge against McGinn?

givescotlandfreedom
07-09-2018, 07:01 PM

Probably but I thought that was Provan?

SaulGoodman
07-09-2018, 07:01 PM
Probably but I thought that was Provan?

Well whoever it is, they're an ******** 😂

givescotlandfreedom
07-09-2018, 07:02 PM
Well whoever it is, they're an ******** 😂

They certainly both fit the bill!

JimBHibees
07-09-2018, 07:02 PM

Davie proven another ex Celtic no mark who bizarrely has gotten a job with sky. Talks absolute drivel.

SaulGoodman
07-09-2018, 07:05 PM
They certainly both fit the bill!

They sound exactly the same😂 SKY must be desperate for dour Scottish co-commentators

SaulGoodman
07-09-2018, 07:16 PM
Poor there from McGinn, he's honking we should do Villa a favour and take him off their hands.

leither17
07-09-2018, 07:17 PM
What a waste of money

cleanyman
07-09-2018, 07:17 PM
Woeful from both Gordon and McGinn

cabbageandribs1875
07-09-2018, 07:18 PM
time and again i say...get that tw@t craig ******* gordon out of the scotland set-up, he thinks he's the Messi of keepers

Stuart93
07-09-2018, 07:18 PM
Woeful from both Gordon and McGinn

Gordon should've seen the danger, mcginn took far too long

JimBHibees
07-09-2018, 07:19 PM
Poor there from McGinn, he's honking we should do Villa a favour and take him off their hands.

Wasn't a great touch but jeezo awful throw by Gordon who again seems he can't be criticised. Only mistake highlighted by provan is McGinns.

JimBHibees
07-09-2018, 07:20 PM
time and again i say...get that tw@t craig ******* gordon out of the scotland set-up, he thinks he's the Messi of keepers

Agree horrific a half decent goalkeeper and we beat England and qualify for play offs.

Onion
07-09-2018, 07:22 PM
Gordon should've seen the danger, mcginn took far too long

For all we think McGinn's a great player, he's a couple of levels below Belgium. Poor touch and panic set in.

danhibees1875
07-09-2018, 07:23 PM
Agree horrific a half decent goalkeeper and we beat England and qualify for play offs.

To the detriment of Croatia though. :wink:

B.H.F.C
07-09-2018, 07:24 PM
That’s the difference with players at that level, how quickly Dembele spotted what was happening and pounced on it.

Silly from Gordon but McGinn didn’t deal with it well.

cleanyman
07-09-2018, 07:25 PM
Who is Kevin McDonald?

Jesus

JimBHibees
07-09-2018, 07:26 PM
Proven fair play to Craig Gordon, that was a penalty :rolleyes:

Actually think Scotland have done ok, passing in midfield has been pretty good.

Heckys Wheel
07-09-2018, 07:28 PM
Who is Kevin McDonald?

Jesus

Nah he’s not. He plays in the English Prem with Fulham.

Very good player along with Cairney.

cleanyman
07-09-2018, 07:29 PM

Not what?

Sir David Gray
Is everyone contributing to this thread aware that tonight's match isn't actually in the Nations League?

MSK
Not what?Jesus

B.H.F.C
07-09-2018, 07:30 PM

He’s been dire in his appearances for Scotland though.

B.H.F.C
07-09-2018, 07:31 PM
Is everyone contributing to this thread aware that tonight's match isn't actually in the Nations League?

Aye but couldn’t be bothered starting an International Friendlies thread.

Stuart93
For all we think McGinn's a great player, he's a couple of levels below Belgium. Poor touch and panic set in.

Well aye of course he is, Belgium are the 3rd best country in the world. He was a great player for by standards though

cleanyman
Jesus

Ok

SaulGoodman
07-09-2018, 07:33 PM
Does he talk like a gentleman?

Sir David Gray
07-09-2018, 07:37 PM
Aye but couldn’t be bothered starting an International Friendlies thread.

That's good just thought I would point it out. :greengrin

bingo70
07-09-2018, 07:41 PM
What’s the point of this fixture?

I can’t see Scotland getting anything out of this at all, all it’s likely to do is dent our confidence further going into games against two equally matched sides where confidence could be important.

Sir David Gray
07-09-2018, 07:43 PM
Terrible from Gordon and McGinn, no way you can play like that against a team of Belgium's standard.

NZ Green
07-09-2018, 07:44 PM

I can’t see Scotland getting anything out of this at all, all it’s likely to do is dent our confidence further going into games against two equally matched sides where confidence could be important.
Honestly, Scotland are playing quite well against the 3rd best team in the world. Lots of positives to take into monday's game (so far).

bingo70
07-09-2018, 07:46 PM
Honestly, Scotland are playing quite well against the 3rd best team in the world. Lots of positives to take into monday's game (so far).

We’re hardly getting a kick of the ball and Belgium aren’t out of second gear imo.

Phil MaGlass
07-09-2018, 07:46 PM
Italy gettin beat fae Poland

Bishop Hibee
07-09-2018, 07:50 PM
I’m at the game. We’ve played ok trying to pass the ball about rather than lump it and lose possession. There’s a reason Belgium are the third best team in the world though. Gordon and McGinn equally culpable for the goal.

HibbyAndy
07-09-2018, 07:51 PM
Gordon Strachan dusnae half talk alot of pish

Sir David Gray
07-09-2018, 07:52 PM
2-0 Hazard

BoomtownHibees
07-09-2018, 07:53 PM
Craig Gordon is pish

cleanyman
07-09-2018, 07:54 PM
Alex McLeish really needs to nail his colours to the mast and get McGregor in goals.

Gordon is useless.

Zazu62
What’s the point in 3 at the back? Tierney isn’t a centre half

BoomtownHibees
and get that bigoted ******* McGregor off as well, you would think that was a green ball coming at him

Who??

Sylar
I thought the starting XI looked quite strong. Hard to judge if it’s “more of the same pish” against this Belgium side, but its been a grim 50 minutes.

Biggie
Craig Gordon ??....palm it over the bar ffs.....limp wristed prick.

cabbageandribs1875
07-09-2018, 07:55 PM
Who??

just pre-empting for when the bigot does come on :wink:

BoomtownHibees
07-09-2018, 07:56 PM
just pre-empting when he does come on :wink:

Thought you meant Callum 😁

bingo70
07-09-2018, 07:56 PM
Craig Gordon is pish

Nothing he could have done about that goal.

Gordon is a good keeper imo don’t agree with the negativity towards him.

Belgium are a superb side and there’s no shame in getting a spanning off them, that’s why it was a stupid fixture to take on IMO. Utterly pointless exercise this is IMO......as were the games against Peru and Mexico.

SirDavidsNapper
07-09-2018, 07:57 PM
I used to think the opposite but I'd have McGregor in before Gordon every time now. Absolute bellend but a cracking keeper.

BoomtownHibees
Nothing he could have done about that goal.

Gordon is a good keeper imo don’t agree with the negativity towards him.

Belgium are a superb side and there’s no shame in getting a spanning off them, that’s why it was a stupid fixture to take on IMO. Utterly pointless exercise this is IMO......as were the games against Peru and Mexico.

He should have stood up tall. No reason to be down so low for the shot.

J-C
Had enough of the game, Gordon is pants and the team seems all over the place, still haven't a clue what shape or system they're playing, looks like another long boring qualifying campaign coming up.

B.H.F.C
This could get silly.

Sir David Gray
3-0 Batshuayi

BoomtownHibees
07-09-2018, 07:58 PM
Could end up a big score here

Lago
I used to think the opposite but I'd have McGregor in before Gordon every time now. Absolute bellend but a cracking keeper.
Yip

BOB MARLEYS DUG
Scotland are murder and will be for the foreseeable future.

cleanyman
Excellent.

Give us 6.

bingo70
07-09-2018, 07:59 PM
Craig Gordon ??....palm it over the bar ffs.....limp wristed prick.

Have you ever tried to palm a ball over the bar you’ve not seen until it’s behind you?

If anything the criticism would be he’s not stayed up tall long enough but I can see why he never.

cabbageandribs1875
07-09-2018, 07:59 PM
cricket score on it's way, Mulgrew...who the **** does he think he is

B.H.F.C
07-09-2018, 08:01 PM
Have you ever tried to palm a ball over the bar you’ve not seen until it’s behind you?

If anything the criticism would be he’s not stayed up tall long enough but I can see why he never.

If he stood still it would have hit him. He was about sitting on the floor. Ball only went in at about 4ft.

Lago
Had enough of the game, Gordon is pants and the team seems all over the place, still haven't a clue what shape or system they're playing, looks like another long boring qualifying campaign coming up.
As soon as McLeish was appointed I gave up any hope of progress.

Sir David Gray
I don't know why anyone would be surprised at this scoreline.

The Nations League shows we're in the 3rd division of European nations right now, it's the equivalent of Celtic playing against Brechin.

Biggie
07-09-2018, 08:02 PM

Yeah your right I meant he should have stood tall.....and palmed it over the bar

we are hibs
07-09-2018, 08:02 PM
Nothing will ever change until it's torn up from the core and that won't happen. An absolute embarrassment of a national team

bingo70
07-09-2018, 08:03 PM
He should have stood up tall. No reason to be down so low for the shot.

There is, having a low centre of gravity makes it easier for keepers, it provides them a spring, if the ball goes low it’s better their body position is low, if the ball goes high crouching like that can help them spring up. If they stand tall and the ball goes low they’re ****ed.

He was caught out by the power of the ball and the Belgium player obstructing his sight of it, it happens, not the keepers fault imo.

cleanyman
07-09-2018, 08:04 PM
There is, having a low centre of gravity makes it easier for keepers, it provides them a spring, if the ball goes low it’s better their body position is low, if the ball goes high crouching like that can help them spring up. If they stand tall and the ball goes low they’re ****ed.

He was caught out by the power of the ball and the Belgium player obstructing his sight of it, it happens, not the keepers fault imo.

Pish.

Goalie should save it.

Get McGregor in.

Onion
07-09-2018, 08:04 PM
Depressing stuff. Remember the days when every country in the World feared coming to Hamdump. Belgium are a class above.

bingo70
07-09-2018, 08:05 PM
Pish.

Goalie should save it.

Get McGregor in.

Cheers.

Good debate.

Sir David Gray
4-0 Batshuayi

HibbyAndy

Nah no buying he was obstructed , Showed you it again and Hazards brother was nowhere near in his eyeline

BoomtownHibees
07-09-2018, 08:06 PM

Being “his fault” is maybe a bit strong but it was definitely in the “could have done better” category for me. The ball didn’t go in that high above him. Having the low centre of gravity done nothing for him.

And he’s still pish imo

JXM73
4-0 ffs

HUTCHYHIBBY
My word, what a mess!

Onion
07-09-2018, 08:07 PM
GJP getting embarrassed. Men against Girls tonight.

bingo70
Gordon should have saved that one.

Should have just dived to the corner and caught it.

Easy.

BullsCloseHibs
I thought the starting XI looked quite strong. Hard to judge if it’s “more of the same pish” against this Belgium side, but its been a grim 50 minutes.

Who would have predicted that!

leither17
This could be 6 or 7

cleanyman
07-09-2018, 08:08 PM
Just shows you how far behind players like Jack and McGinn are to Dembele

Class above

SteveHFC
07-09-2018, 08:08 PM
Anyone else paid £25 for this tonight and now regret it 👀

Heckys Wheel
07-09-2018, 08:09 PM
Time to give Shaun Maloney the nod to cool their jets!

sauzee6_2
Belgium are superb, arguably the best team in the world.

However we have been the masters of our own downfall with some dreadful defending / goalkeeping.

As much as I detest Alan McGregor he is much better than Craig Gordon.

We’ve done ok, but not on Belgium’s level.

With the greatest respect, we have players from Aston Villa (sadly) Blackburn Rovers, Fulham and hearts against players from Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd and Spurs.

Unfortunately, a huge mis match.

BoomtownHibees
Gordon should have saved that one.

Should have just dived to the corner and caught it.

Easy.

Good debate

SingaporeHibs
07-09-2018, 08:10 PM
Let’s not forget how good a side Belgium are, they likely should have won the World Cup had they performed consistently. It was all very fine margins v the French. We should hope the players can learn from this. We can also hope the SFA learn how to develop our structure so we can move on like them. 🙄

BullsCloseHibs
As pointless a match as Hibs v Barcelona a few years ago. Time to arrange Gibraltar or San Marino. Oh, wait....

Sylar
I know he plays for them and it wont be a popular opinion, but i quite like Naismith. He’s a decent player. But he’s been awful tonight - he just keeps clattering into Boyata.

J-C
07-09-2018, 08:11 PM
Glad I switched off after 2, could see it all unfolding. We have a decent squad of players there but somehow McLeish has got them playing like some two bit pub team, I definitely wasn't happy when he was appointed.

BullsCloseHibs
07-09-2018, 08:11 PM
And Hibs ladies take the lead 😙

bingo70
07-09-2018, 08:12 PM
Good debate

Ha ha fair point.

To be fair I’ve already spent more energy than I’d like defending that hearts *******. As a former goalie at no level whatsoever though I do find myself seeing things from keepers perspectives maybe more than I should.

cabbageandribs1875
07-09-2018, 08:12 PM
we're not far away from playing full internationals at Lesser Hampden...GTF SFA

cabbageandribs1875
07-09-2018, 08:13 PM
And Hibs ladies take the lead 😙

cheers, i'l stop my recording now

bingo70
07-09-2018, 08:14 PM
Let’s not forget how good a side Belgium are, they likely should have won the World Cup had they performed consistently. It was all very fine margins v the French. We should hope the players can learn from this. We can also hope the SFA learn how to develop our structure so we can move on like them. 🙄

I can’t see the players learning anything from this really.

Don’t give the ball away cheaply against world class players, I’d hope most of them would know that anyway, not as easy in practise though.

JimBHibees
07-09-2018, 08:15 PM

Why would he not stand tall, exactly the same goal as the first v England dives out the way of the ball. Scotland have shot themselves in the foot however we have some half decent quality and have at least looked reasonable on the ball. Thankfully we won't be playing Belgium every game.

Albanian Hibs
07-09-2018, 08:16 PM
Anyone else paid £25 for this tonight and now regret it 👀

Regret paying £25 for Monday night 🙄

Ryan69
I know it's nothing to do with Euro Nations League but,Whoever set these fixture out...needs sacked!

Will do wonders for our world ranking!

Any clown surely knows you have to balance things!
If you play good teams...you play bad teams too!

Otherwise our ranking goes further down...as well as morale.

There's obviously a genius in there somewhere!

SteveHFC

Same here 🙄

Albanian Hibs
07-09-2018, 08:17 PM
Same here 🙄

Hubby excited about going though 😏

Billy Whizz
07-09-2018, 08:18 PM

Albanian end?

SteveHFC
07-09-2018, 08:18 PM
Hubby excited about going though 😏

I’m sure the football on Monday will make him less excited 👀

bingo70
07-09-2018, 08:19 PM
Why would he not stand tall, exactly the same goal as the first v England dives out the way of the ball. Scotland have shot themselves in the foot however we have some half decent quality and have at least looked reasonable on the ball. Thankfully we won't be playing Belgium every game.

Because imo a big part of goalkeepers performance is anticipation and he won’t have been anticipating the shot, he’ll have been expecting the ball to be fired across goal.

Ultimately I suppose he got that wrong but it’s much much easier when it’s slowed down after the event and you know what’s coming.

He stays tall and the ball goes anywhere but where Hazard put it and he looks daft as his body position wouldn’t be right for dealing with a low cross.

Anyway, **** ‘em. Hearts bassa.

cabbageandribs1875
07-09-2018, 08:23 PM
just over 20k, mind we used to get that for training sessions :(

bingo70
07-09-2018, 08:24 PM
Portugal friendly next month??!!

Who is coming up with these fixtures?! Absolutely pointless exercises

Sir David Gray
07-09-2018, 08:24 PM
You really have to question the wisdom of arranging a friendly against a side that is clearly so much better than us. I'm also not sure what benefit Belgium will get out of this match. They are barely breaking a sweat and are 4-0 up and that's without Kevin De Bruyne.

It's not going to get much better next month with a friendly lined up against Portugal!

bingo70
07-09-2018, 08:25 PM
You really have to question the wisdom of arranging a friendly against a side that is clearly so much better than us. I'm also not sure what benefit Belgium will get out of this match. They are barely breaking a sweat and are 4-0 up and that's without Kevin De Bruyne.

It's not going to get much better next month with a friendly lined up against Portugal!

Not forgetting the trips to Mexico and Peru at the end of last season.

Hibbyradge
07-09-2018, 08:25 PM

Exactly.

cabbageandribs1875
07-09-2018, 08:26 PM
I know it's nothing to do with Euro Nations League but,Whoever set these fixture out...needs sacked!

Will do wonders for our world ranking!

Any clown surely knows you have to balance things!
If you play good teams...you play bad teams too!

Otherwise our ranking goes further down...as well as morale.

There's obviously a genius in there somewhere!

unfortunately i think we have a few of those at the SFA, i have absolutely no idea if any of them actually played professional football though

BullsCloseHibs
07-09-2018, 08:26 PM
Israel won't be a pushover like some think either. They'll rightly fancy beating us. Albania are no mugs either.

cabbageandribs1875
07-09-2018, 08:27 PM
so Mr provan....McGinn it is for the blame then eh

HibbyAndy
07-09-2018, 08:27 PM
How bang average does kieran tierney look ?!! Never touched the baw !!!

JimBHibees
07-09-2018, 08:28 PM
Regret paying £25 for Monday night ��

Nah we will hammer Albania :greengrin

Biggie
07-09-2018, 08:30 PM
Courteous had to put his paper down there...

JimBHibees
07-09-2018, 08:31 PM

Was thinking the same though to be fair out of position.

Provans genius commentary tonight summed up by Belguim must now be odds on to win euro 2020, dear oh dear clueless.

Ryan69
07-09-2018, 08:33 PM
Israel won't be a pushover like some think either. They'll rightly fancy beating us. Albania are no mugs either.

Currently...I think anyone would fancy their chances!

Im sure McLeish is delighted he has a 100% losing record!

Dont like the Judas ****...but he doesn't deserve that!

JimBHibees
07-09-2018, 08:34 PM
so Mr provan....McGinn it is for the blame then eh

Never said a good word about him all night even though he has played ok

HibbyAndy
07-09-2018, 08:34 PM
Was thinking the same though to be fair out of position.

Provans genius commentary tonight summed up by Belguim must now be odds on to win euro 2020, dear oh dear clueless.

Yeah he does get easily excited , To come out with that comment is a bit fandanish

SteveHFC
07-09-2018, 08:35 PM
Embarrassing
Belgian
Thumping

Alex McLeish rocked by new EBT scandal

Sir David Gray
07-09-2018, 08:37 PM
Not forgetting the trips to Mexico and Peru at the end of last season.

Yes absolutely scandalous that these fixtures were organised, what a pointless exercise. Why organise friendly matches half way around the world against two teams we had no chance of beating and who had qualified for the World Cup, just a few weeks after the league season had ended?

Scorrie
07-09-2018, 08:38 PM

Tierney is a class full back so why does McLeish play him out of position? It’s not often we have top quality players but when we do at least play them in position. McLeish is a woeful appointment

cleanyman
07-09-2018, 08:40 PM
Good result.

Proud of the boys tonight.

bingo70
07-09-2018, 08:41 PM
It’s hard to be too critical of McLeish tonight, not his fault we got pumped but what really is the point of him? He’ll be here for a bit, maybe get one or two ok results if we’re lucky but he’ll be gone in a year maximum. We need a strategy, a plan, some direction so even if we did get pumped in a game like this there could be something we could take out of it.

Absolutely everything about the SFA and Scottish national team the now is a complete waste of time imo.

bookert
07-09-2018, 08:42 PM

Tierneys game is charging up and down the left wing, not left sided centre back. You would almost be better trying him on right side.

bingo70
07-09-2018, 08:44 PM
Tierney is a class full back so why does McLeish play him out of position? It’s not often we have top quality players but when we do at least play them in position. McLeish is a woeful appointment

Because Robertson is also a class full back and there was never going to be a place for full backs and wingers in a game like this?

I’ve no time for the current set up at all but trying Tierney at left centre back makes complete sense, it’s just a shame it was a nonsense fixture tonight that we’ll learn nothing from.

poulton hibs
07-09-2018, 08:44 PM
[QUOTE=Ryan69;5545110]Currently...I think anyone would!d fancy their chances!

I sure McLeish is delighted he has a 100% losing record!

He doesn't, we beat Hungary in March of course.

GreenCastle
07-09-2018, 08:46 PM
Anyone surprised - Scotland are crap and have been for years.

Doesn’t matter who the manager is the players simply aren’t good enough.

That was a training match for Belgium.

Like someone else says doesn’t help tanking.

Bigger picture no one has any faith in the muppets running the game in Scotland. The Hampden carry on..the recent red cards..the non goal - the game is a laughing stock sadly and the fans deserve better for all their constant support of the domestic game.

GreenCastle
07-09-2018, 08:46 PM
Tierneys game is charging up and down the left wing, not left sided centre back. You would almost be better trying him on right side.

He’s so over rated and doesn’t have a right foot.

Sylar
07-09-2018, 08:47 PM

And play Robertson where...? We're a little unlucky just now that we have 2 class players in the same position. I completely understand McLeish trying to find a way for the 2 of them to play at the same time.

The decisions of the recent friendlies really are puzzling, but Monday is when McLeish will rightly be judged. Anything short of a good performance and 3 points and the SFA need to take a long hard look at their decision to appoint him.

On paper, tonight's team was decent enough. A little light up front with only Griffiths, but some excellent young footballers in there in Armstrong, McGinn, McGregor, Robertson, Snodgrass, Souttar, Tierney etc

I'd rather we went for youth and inexperience, even if it means a thumping against sides like Belgium, than persist with some of the "seasoned veterans" that have donned the shirt in recent years.

Hibbyradge
07-09-2018, 08:53 PM
Actually, I take it back.

We're not going to improve by playing teams worse than us. Getting a battering of the best teams is tough, but it gives them the opportunity to learn.

Trying to compete with the best must improve those who can and want to improve and I'd hope that applied to them all.

Lancs Harp
Belgium are a very very good team. Not quite agreeing with the "best in the world opinion" repeated throughout the night (especially by Mr Strachan), they got knocked out of the world cup by France, France won the World Cup, France were the best best team in the world cup, France are currently the best team in the world.

cabbageandribs1875
Never said a good word about him all night even though he has played ok

:agree: i wonder if it's because he didn't join sellick

truehibernian
07-09-2018, 08:55 PM
It’s hard to be too critical of McLeish tonight, not his fault we got pumped but what really is the point of him? He’ll be here for a bit, maybe get one or two ok results if we’re lucky but he’ll be gone in a year maximum. We need a strategy, a plan, some direction so even if we did get pumped in a game like this there could be something we could take out of it.

Absolutely everything about the SFA and Scottish national team the now is a complete waste of time imo.

:aok: totally agree. I lost interest in Scotland years ago, don't even set aside time to watch. Hibs are my only football interest these days (West Ham have sickened me :boo hoo:)

Belgium are world class, absolutely no shame losing to them, and as heavily. But this side struggle against fourth seeds and will always do so. When you have to recall Naismith, play Robert Snodgrass, think Mulgrew is the answer defensively..............the game as they say is a bogey :agree:

Football-wise I have to say, it's been two decades since we have had 3/4 really good centre halves who are international quality - for me that is our huge failing at this level. An area of the pitch coaches of all age levels need to work hard at identifying talent and bringing them on. Quality sides have quality defenders at the heart of their defence.

cabbageandribs1875
07-09-2018, 08:56 PM

that will probably affect his balance

:)

Sir David Gray
07-09-2018, 08:59 PM
That's now one goal in McLeish's first five matches. As others have pointed out Monday's match against Albania is now huge.

If we lose that then the pressure will really be on him.

bingo70
07-09-2018, 09:09 PM
Actually, I take it back.

We're not going to improve by playing teams worse than us. Getting a battering of the best teams is tough, but it gives them the opportunity to learn.

Trying to compete with the best must improve those who can and want to improve and I'd hope that applied to them all.

I think there’s a balance to be had.

Play teams that are better than us, absolutely, it needs to be competitive though. Playing teams as good as Belgium where we’ll struggle to get a kick of the ball is totally pointless imo.

Belgium are undoubtedly in the top two or three in the world just now, I get what Strachan was meaning, their game against France in the semis was a toss up and I’d guess if they were to play them 10 times they’d probably win 5 of them and they would have beaten Croatia in the final comfortably.

We don’t play many friendlies against Germany or Brazil as they are on a completely different level to us, Belgium are much better than those sides now though so tonight’s friendly was stupid to arrange imo. A game against the likes of Holland, Italy, Sweden or a side like that would serve the purpose you were talking about. Tonight was a total waste of time in my opinion.

Michael
07-09-2018, 09:19 PM
That's now one goal in McLeish's first five matches. As others have pointed out Monday's match against Albania is now huge.

If we lose that then the pressure will really be on him.

I don't think Mcleish should be manager, but there's no point in sacking him unless the rest of the SFA go too.

Sir David Gray
07-09-2018, 09:24 PM
I don't think Mcleish should be manager, but there's no point in sacking him unless the rest of the SFA go too.

I don't necessarily disagree with that but that's how football management works these days. If you have a few bad results then your job's on the line. We have a great chance of making Euro 2020 through this Nations League set up but if we can't get through against Albania and Israel then it will be a tough decision for the SFA.

BSEJVT
07-09-2018, 09:25 PM
Scotland's International team don't interest me greatly, they once did but no longer but fair play to the guys who travel far and wide to support them as I once did.

I had hoped from afar that we had halted our inexorable slide down the international ladder but I caught 30 minutes of the second half and that was as bad as bad could be.

If Hibs had got a chasing like that, this place would be in meltdown, regardless of the opposition.

There were so many guys on that pitch who should never be playing for Scotland.

This is going to sound like anti Hearts bias but Soutar & Naismith wtf?

Soutar would be 5th choice centre half at Hibs, he is absolute pish and soft as *****.

Naismith was never that good but is well beyond his use by date now

Jack, Russell, Mulgrew & Shinnie are never in a million years international class.

He may have been knackered by the time I switched on but for about 10 minutes or so until shortly before getting subbed I have never seen McGinn look so lethargic and let folk run off him

I would keep Gordon, Griffiths, Tierney, Robertson, Fraser & McGinn and possibly Snodgrass from those that I saw, the rest should never be near a Scotland jersey again.

I absolutely refuse to believe that we don't have better players than those I have mentioned

How the hell are we going to progress playing the likes of Mulgrew and Naismith

Belgium are a very good side, of that there is no doubt, but the lack of fight or spirit or organisation was shocking and good player though he undoubtedly is Robertson is not yet captain material

Some of the Scotland captains of old would have grabbed that lot by the throat and made them scrap for the jersey, as for that matter would have Scott Brown.

Albanian Hibs
07-09-2018, 09:37 PM
Albanian end?

Making him go into the home end. He will no doubt have me sit in the home end in Albania in Nov.

bookert
07-09-2018, 09:38 PM
Well he does have a right foot, I've seen it. Seriously its the mcgrain, Jardine, brownlee issue, your best players play the same position, can you accommodate then?,maybe not.

bingo70
07-09-2018, 09:40 PM
Scotland's International team don't interest me greatly, they once did but no longer but fair play to the guys who travel far and wide to support them as I once did.

I had hoped from afar that we had halted our inexorable slide down the international ladder but I caught 30 minutes of the second half and that was as bad as bad could be.

If Hibs had got a chasing like that, this place would be in meltdown, regardless of the opposition.

Soutar would be 5th choice centre half at Hibs, he is absolute pish and soft as *****.

Jack, Russell, Mulgrew & Shinnie are never in a million years international class.

He may have been knackered by the time I switched on but for about 10 minutes or so until shortly before getting subbed I have never seen McGinn look so lethargic and let folk run off him

I would keep Gordon, Griffiths, Tierney, Robertson, Fraser & McGinn and possibly Snodgrass from those that I saw, the rest should never be near a Scotland jersey again.

I absolutely refuse to believe that we don't have better players than those I have mentioned

Belgium are a very good side, of that there is no doubt, but the lack of fight or spirit or organisation was shocking and good player though he undoubtedly is Robertson is not yet captain material

Some of the Scotland captains of old would have grabbed that lot by the throat and made them scrap for the jersey, as for that matter would have Scott Brown.

There’s some of your post i don’t agree with, especially the bit about the players, I think unfortunately that’s about as good as it gets for us. Where I agree though is the intensity, after the match McLeish was on the touch line laughing and joking with Martinez, I know him doing that wouldn’t have effected the result but I just don’t like it.

For me, the person Scotland should have targeted instead of McLeish was Neil lennon, he ticks every single box for what Scotland need as a manager. We still would have lost tonight but they’d be going into Monday nights game with a rocket up their arse. The Scottish players seem mollycoddled to me, even this nonsense of having to make sure everyone that’s in the squad gets some game time?! Eh? This isnt primary school football with little Johnny’s Dad trying to keep all the parents happy. There’s no ruthless streak in the side, there’s no fight and it’s all just too nice. Craig Gordon tonight but Allan Mcgregor on Monday night? What if Gordon had the fame of his life and saved 4 penalties? “Better give Allan McGregor a game though, need to keep him happy too”

Lancs Harp
07-09-2018, 09:46 PM
There should be absolutely no reason why Scotland cant achieve what Ireland and N. Ireland have achieved in recent times in qualifying for the big tournaments. Player ability is every bit as good as those two, the difference for me? Management and structure.

A moderately successful Scottish national side would re-generate the game so much in a sort of Hibs winning the cup sort of way for us.

ancient hibee
07-09-2018, 10:00 PM
Whoever thought that Scotland should play one of the best countries in the world a few days before a must win game in a new competition should be fired.

GreenCastle
07-09-2018, 10:08 PM
There should be absolutely no reason why Scotland cant achieve what Ireland and N. Ireland have achieved in recent times in qualifying for the big tournaments. Player ability is every bit as good as those two, the difference for me? Management and structure.

A moderately successful Scottish national side would re-generate the game so much in a sort of Hibs winning the cup sort of way for us.

Wales probably a better example.

They produced a Bale and did well at last Euros.

Scotland don’t have a Bale or anyone of that level coming through or someone who will play for Real Madrid anytime soon.

As a country we should be aiming higher but as I’ve said above the muppets who run the game couldn’t run a bath so until things change the results will be the same.

Hiber-nation
07-09-2018, 10:09 PM
Whoever thought that Scotland should play one of the best countries in the world a few days before a must win game in a new competition should be fired.

Exactly. Quite incredible really but who can 2nd guess the SFA ..

truehibernian
07-09-2018, 10:11 PM

I don't even think Leigh is international class if honest. England goals aside, his international showings have been pretty poor. We still lack top class centre halves and two top class strikers. Leigh is a great player, fantastic at our domestic level, but at this level, nope, not for me (but he is all we have admittedly). He should have left Celtic by now and tried his hand again down south against the top class defenders - but he won't. His recent 'why would you leave Celtic' interview said it all. He's a home bird. Indeed, many of our players should leave Scotland if they have the chance. The standard up here is terrible if we are all really honest. Players are in a goldfish bowl up here and you simply can't expect young Souttar for example to suddenly step up at this level when last week he was up against a St Mirren striker who has played only 30 odd games in 3 years. Souttar is a good player, needs to leave Scotland now to progress - against better players.

We are a fourth seed team at this level and until the powers that be accept that and grasp the nettle to remedy that, we'll remain there for years. We still seem to have this Old Firm mentality at international level (in this country, at all levels - SFA, media, ex players, etc.) that all think we should be where we are not and that we are better than we actually are. Outsiders see us for what we are (objectively) - utter gash :agree: sorry to be so blunt.

Right now, if I was an international manager looking for a result, I'd take a game v Scotland any day of the week. We are really really poor.