PDA

View Full Version : McGregor - No Action

monarch
04-09-2018, 12:01 PM
Compliance officer to take no action re Allan McGregor’s kick out during Sunday’s hatefest per Sky Sports. Should we be surprised?

:confused:

Steven79
04-09-2018, 12:02 PM
Compliance officer to take no action re Allan McGregor’s kick out during Sunday’s hatefest per Sky Sports. Should we be surprised?

It dosen't surprise me one bit...

I can only imagine if a Hibs player kicked him they would be getting a ten game ban.

Ryan69
04-09-2018, 12:02 PM

Absolutely unbelievable!
After the madness of Morelos getting let off...and now this.

And you wonder why people say SFA is corrupt!

danhibees1875
04-09-2018, 12:03 PM
They've set the precedent that it's okay to kick people, and at least they're being consistent in their stupidity.

The SFA should be applauded for not being both stupid and inconsistent with this one.

Pretty Boy
04-09-2018, 12:07 PM
Well I'm almost as shocked as I was when the officials ignored it in the 1st place.

That's 2 in a week he has got away with. No corruption though, just paranoia.

itslegaltender
04-09-2018, 12:11 PM
only let off to keep pressure of Collum. The ridiculous overreaction to Jacks 50/50 tackle with Rogic has led to this.

Fife-Hibee
04-09-2018, 12:12 PM

What are you confused about? What did you think was going to happen? It was an absolute certainty that nothing was going to be done, considering how many times he's done this sort of thing with absolutely no action taken against him.

Remember a game against them at ER quite a number of years back. He suddenly went down holding his head rolling between the goals. Think it was Riordan? that he was claiming assaulted him. Even although the video replays showed that absolutely nothing happened.

Was any action taken against him for his blatant cheating? Well i'll leave you to work that one out.

cabbageandribs1875
04-09-2018, 12:13 PM
They've set the precedent that it's okay to kick people, and at least they're being consistent in their stupidity.

The SFA should be applauded for not being both stupid and inconsistent with this one.

exactly, these cases will be referred back to time and again now over the course of this season and beyond

Fife-Hibee
04-09-2018, 12:13 PM

Consistent for The Rangers and Hearts anyway....

Biggie
04-09-2018, 12:14 PM
No wonder Scottish football is mocked.
So Morelos can kick out (booking only), Naismith can scream in someone's face, and have a wee stamp (nothing to see here) now Macgregor can kick out...and no action
Not to mention incorrect sending offs being approved...

When you think Lennon got a ban for a celebration !!
The ball is well and truly burst, wow.......

Heisenberg
04-09-2018, 12:15 PM
exactly, these cases will be referred back to time and again now over the course of this season and beyond

Exactly. Also surely means no ref can send a player off during a game if they spot an incident like it? Absolutely ridiculous situation to be in.

danhibees1875
04-09-2018, 12:21 PM

They've made a mess of it, and they just need to own up to their mistakes, draw a line under it and move in: "we've made a mess of the Morelos incident, and subsequently the Naismith and McGregor incidents - from now on we won't be taking such an approach to violent conduct". Then they can't really be blamed when they eventually have to ban someone from doing similar. I somehow doubt they'll do any of that though!

Consistent for The Rangers and Hearts anyway....

To be fair, no other teams have attacked their opposition yet - as far as I know.

It's also of little surprise that out of the 4 incidents, they were divided up between Rangers and Hearts players...

Greenbeard
04-09-2018, 12:25 PM
Do we know who were the three former match officials on the panel?

ancient hibee
04-09-2018, 12:26 PM
When you have a panel made up of 3 ex refs you are never going to get a unanimous decision to make a current ref look stupid.

cabbageandribs1875
Exactly. Also surely means no ref can send a player off during a game if they spot an incident like it? Absolutely ridiculous situation to be in.

that will depend on which team the offender is playing for, and who the referee is :whistle:

macca70
You can be guaranteed that the next Hibs player to be involvolved in an incident that’s refferred to the compliance officer, we’ll get hammered. If a Hibs player had done what McGregor or Naismith did, the SFA would probably get the Police involved and have the player appearing at the Sherriff court for assault!!

Fife-Hibee
04-09-2018, 12:28 PM
To be fair, no other teams have attacked their opposition yet - as far as I know.

It's also of little surprise that out of the 4 incidents, they were divided up between Rangers and Hearts players...

You're forgetting the 5th incident. The complete non incident that was upheld against the Killie player.

Fife-Hibee
04-09-2018, 12:30 PM
Anybody see Djoums shocker for Hearts against St Mirren? Another sweep job.

Coco Bryce
04-09-2018, 12:31 PM
Unbelievable.

So that’s not a foul - But they think Rogic ‘fouled’ Jack?

Biggie
04-09-2018, 12:33 PM
Anybody see Djoums shocker for Hearts against St Mirren? Another sweep job.

Think he was booked so nothing more can be done, I'm sure. Dreadful challenge though.

Fife-Hibee
04-09-2018, 12:36 PM
Think he was booked so nothing more can be done, I'm sure. Dreadful challenge though.

Indeed. But it's an utterly ridiculous rule that has no real logic to it. Gives certain referees the opportunity to protect the players they like though, simply by booking them.

Callum_62
04-09-2018, 12:36 PM

Yep- and a stonewall red card it was too

As for Macgregor call- absolutely incredible

matty_f
04-09-2018, 12:37 PM
Personally I'm glad that they have their priorities right and hammer Lennon for his plane celebration whilst letting kicks go unpunished.

Somebody is going to get seriously hurt by a plane celebration one of these days, so they're right to clamp down on this.

Hopefully they start turning a blind eye to sectarian chanting as well, as I for one, am sick of the persecution of bigots and that.

danhibees1875
04-09-2018, 12:39 PM
You're forgetting the 5th incident. The complete non incident that was upheld against the Killie player.

That wasn't violent conduct, it was a tackle.

They've managed to apply both stupidity and inconsistency to that one between the Killie and Djoum incidents.

GloryGlory
04-09-2018, 12:46 PM
Absolutely unbelievable!
After the madness of Morelos getting let off...and now this.

And you wonder why people say SFA is corrupt!

Equally, you wonder why Gerrard and other assorted The Rangers officials can claim that everyone in Scottish football is against them and the weegie meeja can print it with a straight face.

Austinho
04-09-2018, 12:51 PM
Isn't this a brand new Compliance officer too? Absolutely shocking job so far.

Baader
04-09-2018, 12:53 PM
A joke but not exactly surprising. Its no wonder Scottish football gets such a bad name (undeserved) when we have these idiots mis-running the show.

McGregor went out his way to fall on top of Peter Hartley leading with his elbow against Motherwell the other week. It wasn't picked up on by ref or tv as he was sneaky with it, making it look like a fall. But he knew who it was and what he was doing.

Ozyhibby
04-09-2018, 12:54 PM
This is what happens when we all ‘move on’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kato
04-09-2018, 12:54 PM
Somebody is going to get seriously hurt by a plane celebration one of these days, so they're right to clamp down on this.

Try being a 'plane and cupping your ears at the same time!! Utter carnage worthy of jail time.

Kato
04-09-2018, 12:55 PM
Equally, you wonder why Gerrard and other assorted The Rangers officials can claim that everyone in Scottish football is against them and the weegie meeja can print it with a straight face.

Decades of practice.

Fife-Hibee
04-09-2018, 12:57 PM

:agree:

worcesterhibby
04-09-2018, 01:01 PM

yes but I'm told the meek will inherit the earth...and when we do..I'm bloody bulldozing, Ibrox, Tynecastle and Hampden !!

matty_f
04-09-2018, 01:02 PM
Try being a 'plane and cupping your ears at the same time!! Utter carnage worthy of jail time.

Won't somebody think of the children!

Keith_M
04-09-2018, 01:18 PM

Only if you ignore the blatant headbutt by McKay Stevens, which was only deemed worthy of a yellow card (thereby making it impossible to go to the CO)

H18S NX
04-09-2018, 01:30 PM
Surely every club and every clubs supporters should be able to sign a petition of some sort,to let the authorities know that we are all sick of it.

Ozyhibby
04-09-2018, 01:37 PM
Surely every club and every clubs supporters should be able to sign a petition of some sort,to let the authorities know that we are all sick of it.

Faced with 10 years blatant cheating with players having duel contracts deliberately concealed from the SFA where fans just meekly accepted that it was ok because it was Rangers, you now expect a backlash over this?

HoboHarry
04-09-2018, 01:42 PM
Why would the clubs sign a petition? Each and every one of them is culpable in this - without the clubs there would be no FA. I genuinely wonder why they persist with having a compliance officer, I don't know what she is being paid but what a waste of money.......

staunchhibby
04-09-2018, 01:43 PM
Not surprised by this outcome.They are toothless and no bottle.Compliance officer just a joke.Would hope when a player is cited by this mythical wasted space compliance officer he decides to challenge it in court.

Ozyhibby
04-09-2018, 01:46 PM
Not surprised by this outcome.They are toothless and no bottle.Compliance officer just a joke.Would hope when a player is cited by this mythical wasted space compliance officer he decides to challenge it in court.

Celtic and Sevco players already show up at hearings with highly paid QC’s and run rings round the SFA. That’s not an option that is open to Hamilton or Livingston players.

I'm Spartacus
04-09-2018, 02:08 PM
Unbelievable.

So that’s not a foul - But they think Rogic ‘fouled’ Jack?

100% this.

The Morelos kick decision was the moment the season was ******ed. If they kept his red card then that gave them more scope to decide on all these moments.

SevCo have benefited twice already but "THEY'VE TURNT THE REFS AGAINST US"

Fife-Hibee
04-09-2018, 02:21 PM
Faced with 10 years blatant cheating with players having duel contracts deliberately concealed from the SFA where fans just meekly accepted that it was ok because it was Rangers, you now expect a backlash over this?

It wasn't only the fans that meekly accepted it, the clubs did as well!

murray26
04-09-2018, 02:26 PM
There is going to be a lot more of this now and they can’t do a thing about it.. Scottish football is a joke..

Pretty Boy
04-09-2018, 02:31 PM
Won't somebody think of the children!

ancient hibee
04-09-2018, 02:34 PM
There’s a load of complete tosh on this thread.First the compliance officer did exactly what she should have done which was to refer it to the panel to see if it should be a red card.The panel did not agree it should be.There was no player with highly paid QC.The player does not attend nor does the club either for a retrospective red card hearing or for a red card appeal.I think it’s a daft system but that is up to the clubs to change.

lord bunberry
04-09-2018, 02:46 PM
There’s a load of complete tosh on this thread.First the compliance officer did exactly what she should have done which was to refer it to the panel to see if it should be a red card.The panel did not agree it should be.There was no player with highly paid QC.The player does not attend nor does the club either for a retrospective red card hearing or for a red card appeal.I think it’s a daft system but that is up to the clubs to change.
I think the player used to attend when there was an appeal as I remember when Bartley got one of his many red cards rescinded he said he didn’t bother going to the appeal. As a result of his non attendance his red was downgraded to a yellow, if he’d have went it might have resulted in there being no punishment. It’s obviously changed as Clarke was complaining last week that the player wasn’t allowed to defend himself.

Laced1875
04-09-2018, 02:49 PM
‘Beggar’s Belief’

RN Hibee
04-09-2018, 03:10 PM
When the players manager comes out and says the act was blatant and that he would be having a word with the player yet a panel of three former officials can’t unanimously agree on it being a red card it really raises questions about the competency of the panel.

eastcoasthibby
04-09-2018, 03:30 PM
Isn't this a brand new Compliance officer too? fantastic job so far.

Jointly funded by Sevco and their cousins from this side.of the country ...sound investment by the looks of it so far ..

blackpoolhibs
04-09-2018, 03:37 PM
And folk still insist the game is not corrupt? :rolleyes:

Ronniekirk
04-09-2018, 03:46 PM
Isn't this a brand new Compliance officer too? Absolutely shocking job so far.

Yes it is Who Apponts them Does anyone know the new Guys background Ie Which Lodge he is a member of
He kicked out like a mule You don't do that to stand up and he was aware there was a player on the ground. near him . He was not disentangling his leg , therefore the only Logical conclusion you could draw was that it was done with intent

jax67
04-09-2018, 04:14 PM
Do we know who were the three former match officials on the panel?

I’d much rather the panel was made up of three ex players,
people who have played the game and know the difference between a bad challenge and a mos timed tackle. The panel could be alternated weekly, there’s plenty ex players kicking about. Just my thoughts.

Fife-Hibee
04-09-2018, 04:20 PM
I’d much rather the panel was made up of three ex players,
people who have played the game and know the difference between a bad challenge and a mos timed tackle. The panel could be alternated weekly, there’s plenty ex players kicking about. Just my thoughts.

:agree: Or perhaps a jury duty type system, where several players at random are called up to make up a panel each week.

The Green Goblin
04-09-2018, 04:26 PM
I was interested to see Gerrard openly criticise the ref for not giving a foul in the build up to the goal without any consequence. Watch this space to see what happens the next time Lennon does that...

HIBERNIAN-0762
04-09-2018, 04:34 PM
Another funny handshake and it's sorted for the zombies.

Get yer seatbelt on, it's gonna be a rough ride this season for us 🙄

Deansy
04-09-2018, 04:50 PM

Agreed but only for 'Old S**m' players - no rule-changes for the rest of the clubs as future games will undoubtedly show !

Greenbeard
04-09-2018, 05:10 PM
:agree: Or perhaps a jury duty type system, where several players at random are called up to make up a panel each week.
Potentially, ex-players' impartiality would be call into question more so than ex-officials. Should be three former refs from outside Scotland for complete impartiality. If this is done by video conference then they could be from anywhere in Europe, although one from each of Eng, Wal and NI would be ideal.

Tricla
04-09-2018, 05:11 PM
When the players manager comes out and says the act was blatant and that he would be having a word with the player yet a panel of three former officials can’t unanimously agree on it being a red card it really raises questions about the competency of the panel.

My thoughts exactly. Astonishing.

Hi Heid Yin
04-09-2018, 05:12 PM

It only takes 1 of the 3 person panel to veto the other two. The decision has to be unanimous.
This is a flawed system whereby any one of the panel with Ibrox sympathies can use this to their advantage and defeat the ends of justice in the process.
Anyone can see that McGregor unequivocally kicked out violently at his opponent. What kind of rationale would deem his actions as "Nothing to see here. Please move along"?

JimBHibees
04-09-2018, 05:12 PM
Only if you ignore the blatant headbutt by McKay Stevens, which was only deemed worthy of a yellow card (thereby making it impossible to go to the CO)

That is another rule that needs changed. Clancy decision on djoum was a shocker and he should be pulled up about it.

JohnMcM
04-09-2018, 05:42 PM

Not surprised at all mate. Just about sums up our hideous football hierarchy. I think also that was reviewed by a newly appointed compliance officer was it not? RIP fairness and impartiality.

overdrive
04-09-2018, 05:48 PM
Who are these people? I want to know who these people are... the Scottish public deserve to know who these people are :wink:

weecounty hibby
04-09-2018, 05:50 PM
No one involved in football in Scotland will be remotely surprised by this decision. As big a case of bias and cheating since, well, the last case involving Der hun! My only surprise is that they haven't retrospectively given rangers a free kick for the assault on Ryan Jack, ordered the goal to be disallowed, and awarded three points to them. After all that bastion of truth and honesty Stevie G said that the ref cost them and that the 4th official was telling Collum to award a free kick!!
Actually can anyone clear up whether or not that is actually acceptable for the 4th official to make on field decisions while in play? Or is it another rule that only the Hun seems to know about?

The Harp Awakes
04-09-2018, 05:57 PM
And folk still insist the game is not corrupt? :rolleyes:

The game in Scotland has been corrupt for as long as it has existed. From the days of prejudice displayed against our Club in 1875, to the present day where the SFA fail to sanction Rangers and their supporters for their unrelenting 'in your face' displays of religious bigotry, it is clear not much has moved on. The fact that the rest of the World has moved so far during this time in terms of civil liberties and tolerence of others beliefs, just makes the SFA look like a bigger bunch of dinosaurs.

The Panel's decision is yet an other example of bias towards Rangers. Their osterich impression over the EBT scandal another. As others have said, their decisions should be no surprise. The gut wrenching thing is that there appears no solution to the problem.

Smartie
04-09-2018, 06:04 PM
The game in Scotland has been corrupt for as long as it has existed. From the days of prejudice displayed against our Club in 1875, to the present day where the SFA fail to sanction Rangers and their supporters for their unrelenting 'in your face' displays of religious bigotry, it is clear not much has moved on. The fact that the rest of the World has moved so far during this time in terms of civil liberties and tolerence of others beliefs, just makes the SFA look like a bigger bunch of dinosaurs.

The Panel's decision is yet an other example of bias towards Rangers. Their osterich impression over the EBT scandal another. As others have said, their decisions should be no surprise. The gut wrenching thing is that there appears no solution to the problem.

There is a solution.

Tough leadership. Clear rules and fair implementation and application of those rules. Honesty, open-ness and transparency about how decisions are made. People holding their hands up when they make a mistake, and being allowed/ encouraged to do so for a greater good. Learning from those mistakes, and every possible technology used to minimise the impact of and to rectify mistakes.

It would mean that the 2 biggest clubs in the country would become weaker, therefore it would never happen. There is insufficient appetite amongst the 2 turkeys to vote for Christmas (which is not surprising) but the lack of cojones from all other clubs is what is consistently frustrating.

The leadership of Scottish football is frankly disgraceful, and sadly some of our own club's people are up to their necks in it.

lord bunberry
04-09-2018, 06:07 PM
No one involved in football in Scotland will be remotely surprised by this decision. As big a case of bias and cheating since, well, the last case involving Der hun! My only surprise is that they haven't retrospectively given rangers a free kick for the assault on Ryan Jack, ordered the goal to be disallowed, and awarded three points to them. After all that bastion of truth and honesty Stevie G said that the ref cost them and that the 4th official was telling Collum to award a free kick!!
Actually can anyone clear up whether or not that is actually acceptable for the 4th official to make on field decisions while in play? Or is it another rule that only the Hun seems to know about?
Your last point is something I was thinking about when Gerard made that comment. I thought the job of the fourth official was to supervise things in the dugout area. As far as I’m aware they don’t have any input into decisions made on the pitch. If they do have an input it’s remarkably selective.

The Harp Awakes
04-09-2018, 06:09 PM
There is a solution.

Tough leadership. Clear rules and fair implementation and application of those rules. Honesty, open-ness and transparency about how decisions are made. People holding their hands up when they make a mistake, and being allowed/ encouraged to do so for a greater good. Learning from those mistakes, and every possible technology used to minimise the impact of and to rectify mistakes.

It would mean that the 2 biggest clubs in the country would become weaker, therefore it would never happen. There is insufficient appetite amongst the 2 turkeys to vote for Christmas (which is not surprising) but the lack of cojones from all other clubs is what is consistently frustrating.

The leadership of Scottish football is frankly disgraceful, and sadly some of our own club's people are up to their necks in it.

You're spot on mate. That's what needs to happen, but who makes it happen? Turkeys don't vote for Christmas and as you say our own Club isn't exactly a catalyst for change.

Chorley Hibee
04-09-2018, 06:11 PM
There is a solution.

"It would mean that the 2 biggest clubs in the country would become weaker, therefore it would never happen. There is insufficient appetite amongst the 2 turkeys to vote for Christmas (which is not surprising) but the lack of cojones from all other clubs is what is consistently frustrating."

Correct, the fact that all the other clubs are complicit in this corruption and farce is what is most galling for me.

Chic Murray
04-09-2018, 06:22 PM

Are you sure this is right? :confused:

Not wishing to go off at a tangent, but the SFA are small fry when it comes to the injustices humanity inflicts on itself.

Spike Mandela
04-09-2018, 06:23 PM
For the umpteenth time, we meekly accepted the SFA not carrying out an independent inquiry into the EBT scandal and our clubs cowardly decided to ‘move on’.

We thus emboldened the authorities to not even be embarassed now with their blatant cheating and bias towards a certain team.

Absolutely no point moaning now.

weecounty hibby
04-09-2018, 06:24 PM
Your last point is something I was thinking about when Gerard made that comment. I thought the job of the fourth official was to supervise things in the dugout area. As far as I’m aware they don’t have any input into decisions made on the pitch. If they do have an input it’s remarkably selective.
Yip, it's why I asked the question. Would love someone to answer this. Surely he can't make decisions when in play?

Carheenlea
04-09-2018, 06:26 PM
Best just to scrap the compliance officers post and retrospective punishment. The whole concept is quite clearly not now fit for purpose and clubs not being treated on a consistent level.

The Green Goblin
04-09-2018, 06:28 PM
As sure as anything, there will be a similar incident over the next few weeks involving another team and they will be hammered for it.

Smartie
04-09-2018, 06:35 PM
As sure as anything, there will be a similar incident over the next few weeks involving another team and they will be hammered for it.

Yep - and I hope that whoever it is kicks, screams and howls to anyone and everyone about the injustice of it all, and not just "move on".

It is a disgrace that these incidents are being looked at retrospectively and fudged.

I can understand that some decisions are tough in the heat of the moment but these last few (Morelos, Naismith and both of the McGregor ones) have been disgraceful.

The authorities could put down a clear marker about what is and isn't acceptable - does anyone really have a clue now?

Sir David Gray
04-09-2018, 06:38 PM
It's now almost impossible for any player in Scotland to be banned for kicking an opponent.

johnbc70
04-09-2018, 06:39 PM
Are the SFA subject to FOI requests? I am guessing not but would love to have read their reasons for the decisions of the last few weeks.

weecounty hibby
04-09-2018, 06:40 PM
Yep - and I hope that whoever it is kicks, screams and howls to anyone and everyone about the injustice of it all, and not just "move on".

It is a disgrace that these incidents are being looked at retrospectively and fudged.

I can understand that some decisions are tough in the heat of the moment but these last few (Morelos, Naismith and both of the McGregor ones) have been disgraceful.

The authorities could put down a clear marker about what is and isn't acceptable - does anyone really have a clue now?

The thing is, that in real time sometimes things can be missed or just don't seem so bad. But these have all looked bad when seen on video and all are by the letter of the law in modern football red card events. Except in Scotland when the Huns or hearts are involved. Or it's one of the per referees who can't be seen to be wrong. It's no wonder we do not send referees to big championships any more and the instances of them getting European games is also dwindling

Joe6-2
04-09-2018, 06:42 PM
It's now almost impossible for any player in Scotland to be banned for kicking an opponent.

Just depends who they play for, honestly, watch what happens over the season

SouthMoroccoStu
04-09-2018, 06:46 PM
Last season big Marv was sent off (and then rescinded) for nothing challenges and looking at a player funny

I think he’ll be far more effective now he’s allowed to kick people with no repercussions

Ozyhibby
04-09-2018, 07:27 PM
The only way it changes is if Hibs and other clubs like us stand up and say something but there is zero chance of that with Petrie there. Just need to accept it I’m afraid.

lord bunberry
04-09-2018, 07:31 PM
Yip, it's why I asked the question. Would love someone to answer this. Surely he can't make decisions when in play?
There seems to be cases in the past where the fourth official has allegedly interfered, I remember in the World Cup final years ago a player was sent off on the advice of the fourth official. I’m not sure though whether they are supposed to though. There were rumours that the fourth official shouted red card after Ian Blacks challenge in the cup final against hearts. It’s all a bit vague.

jacomo
04-09-2018, 07:34 PM
Gerrard got his victim story in first so the SFA probably thought the Rangers had been punished enough.

It will only encourage their nonsense as we know.

majorhibs
04-09-2018, 07:56 PM
They've made a mess of it, and they just need to own up to their mistakes, draw a line under it and move in: "we've made a mess of the Morelos incident, and subsequently the Naismith and McGregor incidents - from now on we won't be taking such an approach to violent conduct". Then they can't really be blamed when they eventually have to ban someone from doing similar. I somehow doubt they'll do any of that though!

Where is FIFA & EUFA in aw this? Do they enjoy seeing Football being embarrassed by this Scottish SFA corruption?

Sir David Gray
04-09-2018, 08:47 PM
Are the SFA subject to FOI requests? I am guessing not but would love to have read their reasons for the decisions of the last few weeks.

FOI requests can only be made to public sector bodies so I'm pretty sure the SFA wouldn't qualify as that.

The Pointer
04-09-2018, 09:01 PM
Just as in Morelos' case it should have been a straight red. The reaction of the Celtc player is classic footballer though.

Sir David Gray
04-09-2018, 09:27 PM
Just depends who they play for, honestly, watch what happens over the season

I should have said that it should now be almost impossible for a player to be disciplined for kicking an opponent in Scotland.

I fully expect players from other clubs to still face punishment.

I'm not sure how much more blatant it can be than the incidents involving Morelos and McGregor though.

SquashedFrogg
04-09-2018, 10:59 PM
The only way it changes is if Hibs and other clubs like us stand up and say something but there is zero chance of that with Petrie there. Just need to accept it I’m afraid.

Standard cheap dig at Petrie without any foundation. Getting boring now.

You do realise there are far more influencial people involved? "People" being the key part.

oldbutdim
04-09-2018, 11:07 PM

Harsh.

It's not up to Petrie to be the moral guardian of Scottish Football is it?

Gerrard got his victim story in first so the SFA probably thought the Rangers had been punished enough.

It will only encourage their nonsense as we know.

That's why they employ Jabba. He gets the hunlikiest version out. But it's out first.

You do realise there are far more influencial people involved? "People" being the key part.

It's too easy to blame Petrie.

If you don't, then you are a 'Petrie apologist' apparently.

The Green Goblin
05-09-2018, 08:28 AM
Ryan Jack calling for Collum to be demoted today. Gerrard openly slammed the ref in his post match comments. I thought there were sanctions for criticising match officials? Or is it only for celebrating a goal on the pitch after receiving sectarian abuse for 90 minutes?

Ozyhibby
05-09-2018, 08:28 AM

There is nobody more influential at Hibs than Rod Petrie.

Peevemor
05-09-2018, 08:29 AM
There is nobody more influential at Hibs than Rod Petrie.

So the good work that's been done since relegation is down to him?

SirDavidsNapper
05-09-2018, 08:48 AM
Looking forward to the derby. First minute in big Marv runs over to the wee ned Naismith and boots him right in the bollocks then screams over him while he's writhing in agony. No action taken. Jonah Lomu then scores a peach for Hearts right in the postage stamp, the ref and linesman don't see it hit the back of the net and give Hearts a throw in instead. At the other end Oli Shaws shot lands 18 feet over the line but the teams play on. Horgan is then shown a straight red for sneezing too close to Souttar. Hibs of course go on to win. Can't beat Scottish football.

Caversham Green
05-09-2018, 08:49 AM
Looking forward to the derby. First minute in big Marv runs over to the wee ned Naismith and boots him right in the bollocks then screams over him while he's writhing in agony. No action taken. Jonah Lomu then scores a peach for Hearts right in the postage stamp, the ref and linesman don't see it hit the back of the net and give Hearts a throw in instead. At the other end Oli Shaws shot lands 18 feet over the line but the teams play on. Horgan is then shown a straight red for sneezing too close to Souttar. Hibs of course go on to win. Can't beat Scottish football.

And Neil Lennon gets a 10 match ban for smiling a bit.

Danderhall Hibs
05-09-2018, 10:37 AM
So the good work that's been done since relegation is down to him?

:agree: LD is the face but RP has directed and influenced all the change.

matty_f
05-09-2018, 11:37 AM
Probably won't be a popular opinion, but I think the argument could be that McGregor didn't use excessive force, and so would have been booked for it, rather than sent off.

The compliance folk won't look at yellow card offences.

For all you could argue that any kick it is excessive, what he did want going to hurt anyone, imho. The victim would have rolled about like he'd been shot and that, but he wouldn't have been actually hurt by it.

aljo7-0
05-09-2018, 12:17 PM
That is probably it. If just one of the trio felt it was a push with a foot rather than a violent kick out they would have reached the decision they did. Totally wrong in my opinion. a kick is a kick and as it was effectively done off the ball (so no accident) it was a red.

Callum_62
05-09-2018, 12:40 PM
Probably won't be a popular opinion, but I think the argument could be that McGregor didn't use excessive force, and so would have been booked for it, rather than sent off.

The compliance folk won't look at yellow card offences.

For all you could argue that any kick it is excessive, what he did want going to hurt anyone, imho. The victim would have rolled about like he'd been shot and that, but he wouldn't have been actually hurt by it.

Ofcourse its excessive force, as no force was needed - not like a tackle when the ball is there to be won

Now we could have 20 players kicking each other off the ball with no punishment at all

bigwheel
05-09-2018, 01:30 PM
Ofcourse its excessive force, as no force was needed - not like a tackle when the ball is there to be won

Now we could have 20 players kicking each other off the ball with no punishment at all

Not really. No one is suggesting it wasn’t a foul..just debating whether it was a sending off offence . My view is that the correct decision would be a yellow card for a kick..as this should have been - and a penalty to Celtic ...

blackpoolhibs
05-09-2018, 01:33 PM
Its violent conduct, a stonewall sending off? :confused:

Callum_62
05-09-2018, 01:35 PM
Not really. No one is suggesting it wasn’t a foul..just debating whether it was a sending off offence . My view is that the correct decision would be a yellow card for a kick..as this should have been - and a penalty to Celtic ...

Why do you think it would only be a yellow

Im certain in any of the officials seen it he would have been off

bigwheel
05-09-2018, 01:39 PM

Would have been a soft red ...don’t think it would be defined as violent ...petulant more likely..

Could have been given though - and does show the lack of clarity of the current interpretation of the laws of the games ..

SonOfDavidFrancey
05-09-2018, 03:15 PM
The Kilmarnock boy in the Aberdeen case doesn’t cover himself with glory. Clearly throws himself down like a sack of spuds then leaps up screaming for a foul or a card.

ancient hibee
05-09-2018, 05:22 PM

Yet 3 ex officials have seen it and don’t think it’s red.

HoboHarry
05-09-2018, 05:27 PM
Yet 3 ex officials have seen it and don’t think it’s red.
I believe 1 of the 3 didn't think it was a red - the other two did.......

CentreLine
05-09-2018, 05:28 PM
The Kilmarnock boy in the Aberdeen case doesn’t cover himself with glory. Clearly throws himself down like a sack of spuds then leaps up screaming for a foul or a card.

And yet the red was not rescinded. Amazing

Callum_62
05-09-2018, 08:10 PM
And yet the ref was not rescinded. Amazing

Given the red was C Thompson, I wish he was recinded

CentreLine
05-09-2018, 08:29 PM
Given the red was C Thompson, I wish he was recinded

Got me there. I should now complain about you poking fun at my fat fingers hitting the f instead of the d. Can’t get away with anything on here👍🏻Thanks Callum no complaints and I’ve amended it now

Callum_62
05-09-2018, 08:31 PM
Got me there. I should now complain about you poking fun at my fat fingers hitting the f instead of the d. Can’t get away with anything on here[emoji1303]Thanks Callum no complaints and I’ve amended it now

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Tyler Durden
06-09-2018, 06:55 AM
Would have been a soft red ...don’t think it would be defined as violent ...petulant more likely..

Could have been given though - and does show the lack of clarity of the current interpretation of the laws of the games ..

It doesn’t have to be violent albeit if you kick someone that is violent to me.

There is no force necessary in this situation - McGregor has no reason to make contact with Ajer. To quote the rules it is “far exceeding the necessary use of force”. As was Morelos and also Naismith twice in the Celtic game.

Watch any incident like this in England, Spain, France or Germany.... they will all be red cards.

Kato
06-09-2018, 10:14 AM

There is no force necessary in this situation - McGregor has no reason to make contact with Ajer. To quote the rules it is “far exceeding the necessary use of force”. As was Morelos and also Naismith twice in the Celtic game.

Watch any incident like this in England, Spain, France or Germany.... they will all be red cards.

Of course it's a red card, how anyone could go to the lengths of measuring "force" in an incident which doesn't include a tackle for the ball is just silly. He kicked a player laying on the ground next to him, red card.

kaimendhibs
06-09-2018, 10:30 AM
So the good work that's been done since relegation is down to him?[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Bad Martini
06-09-2018, 11:49 AM
Stonewall penalty for anyone playing for anyone except celtic and the rangers playing each other and anyone playing celtic and/or the rangers.

Pish refereeing, again.

ENDOF

hibsbollah
06-09-2018, 12:28 PM

:agree: This is the interesting bit. All leagues are different in their interpretation of what is acceptable, but we already allow schything tackles in the Scottish game that would be straight reds (and probably start a bout of outraged pushing and shoving and all sorts of retaliation) in Europe. This new development of not punishing blatant kicks off the ball takes our game even further into basketcase territory. Its in danger of looking like a different sport altogether. With all the implications in terms of how we fare in European competitions. There just isnt enough encouragement and incentive for speed and skill of movement and thought in Scotland. We're getting left behind and its getting worse.

JimBHibees
06-09-2018, 12:49 PM
Of course it's a red card, how anyone could go to the lengths of measuring "force" in an incident which doesn't include a tackle for the ball is just silly. He kicked a player laying on the ground next to him, red card.

Indeed some refs are capable of missing a goal even when the ball hits the net, how are they possibly going to be in any way accurate with deciding levels of force. Violent act red card, same as Naismith, same as Morelos. Yet Dicker gets a red card when it was barely a foul.

JimBHibees
06-09-2018, 12:52 PM
:agree: This is the interesting bit. All leagues are different in their interpretation of what is acceptable, but we already allow schything tackles in the Scottish game that would be straight reds (and probably start a bout of outraged pushing and shoving and all sorts of retaliation) in Europe. This new development of not punishing blatant kicks off the ball takes our game even further into basketcase territory. Its in danger of looking like a different sport altogether. With all the implications in terms of how we fare in European competitions. There just isnt enough encouragement and incentive for speed and skill of movement and thought in Scotland. We're getting left behind and its getting worse.

Fantastic point, we are miles behind in terms of competing with more technical leagues, lets find a way to further embolden the hatchet men. As you say some of the tackles on players which just get a yellow seem to be more prevalent than ever as is rotational fouling. To now not punish violent acts makes absolutely no sense and is sending absolutely the wrong message IMO.

Ozyhibby
06-09-2018, 01:16 PM
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/football-man-ian-maxwell-must-13199177.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Until there is transparency and accountability at the SFA then they will keep failing.

Kato
06-09-2018, 02:02 PM

Back in the late 80's/early 90's I was delighted when it was decided that a tackle from behind was banned. It already been seen as a foul abroad in and England but it seemed a step forward that it was outlawed here. Cue the next Rangers game and it was obvious a tackle from behind was only a foul if made by a non-OF player and that they could do what they wanted. Absolute joke.

Radium
06-09-2018, 02:03 PM
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/football-man-ian-maxwell-must-13199177.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Until there is transparency and accountability at the SFA then they will keep failing.

'Football man' Ian Maxwell must sort out latest SFA shambles and prove he's not another Stewart Regan - Keith Jackson

Fans have been left bemused by a string of controversial disciplinary calls early in the season.

“That's the beauty of appointing Ian Maxwell,” they said. “He’s a football man from the shop floor up.”

And let’s be honest, after years of having our leaving our national game sweating in the slippery hands of a man from the world of county cricket, it seemed like a sensible step in the right direction.

If the accident-prone Stewart Regan represented a man entirely out of touch with the wishes of clubs and supporters throughout the land – and long before the end he most certainly did – then here was Maxwell being presented as the perfect antidote.

True, he may have lacked experience and any kind of real clout as a chief executive but what Maxwell would bring to the position was a common touch. A surefooted leader and a strong communicator. A voice of reason at the top of a madhouse he knew inside out.

That’s what we were promised when he was shoehorned into Regan’s seat at the end of last season, just a day or two after leading Partick Thistle to relegation from the top flight.

Suffice to say, there’s been precious little in the way of meaningful communication or stellar leadership from him since as the SFA has continued to tie itself up in all manner of Regan-esque googlies.

So unfortunately, what exactly Maxwell has made of these past few days of textbook Hampden halfwittery remains anyone’s guess.

But it defies all logic not to reach the conclusion the football man inside him – the guy we were all told so much about – must be burning up with embarrassment at some of the decisions being made and presented to the public under his name.

Forget for now, Maxwell’s horrible mishandling of the probe into child abuse in the Scottish game. As toe curling as it was, it was also possible to have some sympathy for the new man in charge who was being dropped into a toxic quarry where this subject is concerned.

Football man that he is, it was maybe even understandable if he felt pushed so far out of his own comfort zone or area of expertise that he made the mistake of misspeaking at the most inappropriate of moments and in the most inexcusable of tones.

These things happen. Apologise for them, learn from them and move on. The vast majority of football fans in this country are reasonable enough to accept sincere contrition when they see it.

But what they cannot condone is being talked down to by the authorities or expected to obediently believe that black is white. Or, over these last few weeks, that red is really yellow.

Given his background as a player and coach and his status as a man of the people, then Maxwell must surely know this.

If so he must have been blushing into his blazer pocket when first Alfredo Morelos and then Steven Naismith were respectively cleared of violent conduct despite blatantly sinking their boots into opponents at Pittodrie and Tynecastle over the opening two weekends of the season.

The SFA can hide behind the wording of new edicts sent down to them from IFAB but it is clear to the rest of us who know anything about this game that something has been badly lost in translation.

It’s highly unlikely, for example, that the Italians, French, Spanish, Germans or even the English will share Scottish football’s opinion on the true meaning of “brutality” when it comes to carrying out acts of thuggishness on their football pitches.

The words, “It could only happen in Scotland” spring effortlessly to mind. If booting lumps out of someone does not translate to a red card in this country then what exactly will it take? A chibbing?

But if these matters were not damaging enough in terms of the SFA’s perception, then they were quickly compounded when Kilmarnock’s Gary Dicker had an appeal against a preposterous sending off thrown out by the same governing body.

And all of that was before the curious cases of Allan McGregor and Mikey Devlin entered Hampden’s kangaroo court.

What on earth was Maxwell thinking to himself on Tuesday when it was announced that McGregor would not be reprimanded despite being caught on camera raking his studs into Kristoffer Ajer during Sunday’s derby?

When even Rangers manager Steven Gerrard had described it as a “blatant” red card offence?

Surely a real football man would have been mortified by this absurdity. If he was then he did very little about it because 24 hours later, just yesterday afternoon, the situation became even more insulting to the intelligence when Aberdeen were informed Devlin’s highly contentious sending-off against Kilmarnock on Saturday would not be overturned.

For a moment, it felt almost as if the SFA were attempting to troll the country’s fans in textbook social media style. All that was missing was a tweeted picture from the account of the official media department, showing Maxwell ripping off his own mask and revealing old man Regan’s face underneath.

Surely Maxwell must see this unfathomable mess for what it really is. If he truly is a football man, then he must know his organisation is wide open to absolute ridicule.

It cannot be excused and it must not be tolerated by the man in charge. Maxwell has every right to ask questions of the departments which have made such a mockery of our game. In fact, he has a duty to do so.

He can start by asking why Willie Collum was put in charge of Sunday’s Celtic and Rangers clash just days after landing the whole Dicker fiasco on the disciplinary desk?

Or why Craig Thomson has spent a career attempting to produce the quickest red cards ever recorded in European football and yet is still throwing them around like confetti every other Saturday.

And then he can order them to get their heads around these new IFAB directives and to make some common sense out of them before any more damage is done to the reputation of Scottish football.

Until then the SFA’s outrageous lack of self awareness, which Regan helped to nurture and take to new and unsurpassed levels, will remain every bit as alive and kicking as it was when the man from silly mid off was in charge.

Danderhall Hibs
06-09-2018, 04:19 PM
Pretty decent article from Jackson. I’ve not said that very often.

SirDavidsNapper
06-09-2018, 05:38 PM
Pretty decent article from Jackson. I’ve not said that very often.

But it's probably lies