PDA

View Full Version : Michael O’Neill Open Goal Interview

TelaStella
04-09-2018, 02:07 AM
https://youtu.be/vUhOm6hfPyM

Another cracking interview from Si Ferry with this week’s episode all about former player, Michael O’Neill. He Speaks very briefly about how at one stage he thought he was going to be the next Hibs boss but unfortunately the club went down a different route. That route I’m assuming being either Calderwood or Fenlon given the timing. I’ve always thought we missed a trick not bringing him back and this interview on top of his recent success with Northern Ireland probably confirms that. Speaks fantastically about the game and had plenty nice words to say about Hibs, a good watch if you have the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DetroitHibs
04-09-2018, 04:56 AM
Great player for Hibs. Anyone remember him and Jackson almost coming to blows one game?

BILLYHIBS
04-09-2018, 05:17 AM
Remember being at one of his early games for HIBS midweek game at Firhill for thrills Guy was absolute lightening on the wing unplayable that night. Oh! and his goal against Hearts in the 2-1 Kevin Harper volley game at ER new year derby

Anyone that has the time Si Ferry interviews worth a watch. Good laugh! Especially Ally McCoist and Gary OConnor.

04Sauzee
04-09-2018, 07:27 AM
https://youtu.be/vUhOm6hfPyM

Another cracking interview from Si Ferry with this week’s episode all about former player, Michael O’Neill. He Speaks very briefly about how at one stage he thought he was going to be the next Hibs boss but unfortunately the club went down a different route. That route I’m assuming being either Calderwood or Fenlon given the timing. I’ve always thought we missed a trick not bringing him back and this interview on top of his recent success with Northern Ireland probably confirms that. Speaks fantastically about the game and had plenty nice words to say about Hibs, a good watch if you have the time.

And that goal against Motherwell at Easter Road is still one of the best Hibs goals I have seen.

Danderhall Hibs
04-09-2018, 07:54 AM
I keep meaning to get round to watching these interviews. The bit seems a good laugh when I’ve heard him on the radio - his “uhhuh uhhuh” annoys me though.

RoxburghHibs
04-09-2018, 08:03 AM
Very good interview and comes across very well. Was one of my favourite players in the 1990's for Hibs :thumbsup:

One of my pet hates however is that they refer to Newcastle as a "big city" yet when people refer to Edinburgh its a "small city".

Newcastle polulation 268,000
Edinburgh population 482,000

:rolleyes:

Austinho
04-09-2018, 10:32 AM
Probably missed the boat on having him as a manager for the foreseeable. He talks highly of us though, and obviously feels at home in Edinburgh, so it's not out of the realms of possibility at some point.

Crazyhorse
04-09-2018, 10:44 AM
And that goal against Motherwell at Easter Road is still one of the best Hibs goals I have seen.

I think that is my favourite along with Sauzee's against Hearts. Had a perfect view of it.

Such a skilful player.

He and his whole family love Edinburgh. He is very good friends with one of my oldest pals. The issue with the Hibs manager's job left him quite shocked for a wee while, he really thought he was going to be appointed.

Renfrew_Hibby
04-09-2018, 11:02 AM
[QUOTE=RoxburghHibs;5542662]Very good interview and comes across very well. Was one of my favourite players in the 1990's for Hibs :thumbsup:

One of my pet hates however is that they refer to Newcastle as a "big city" yet when people refer to Edinburgh its a "small city".

Yes technically Newcastle is smaller than Edinburgh but Newcastle belongs to a large sprawling metro area, much like Glasgow and Manchester. Edinburgh does not have this advantage with much of what surrounds Edinburgh being quite rural and sparsely populated.

The Tyneside conurbation has a population of around 800,000. This is the reason that St.James' Park can pull in 50,000 for home games.

RoxburghHibs
04-09-2018, 11:38 AM
[QUOTE]

The Tyneside conurbation has a population of around 800,000. This is the reason that St.James' Park can pull in 50,000 for home games.

Maybe but to say the surrounding areas near to Edinburgh are rural isn't really true when you think of all the towns such as Livingston, Broxburn, Bathgate, Uphall, Kirkliston, Musselburgh, Dalkeith etc. (the Lothians population is about 900k)
Does that Tyneside conurbation include the other cities such as Sunderland and Middlesbrough as I know combined their population is about 400k?

CRAZYHIBBY
04-09-2018, 11:45 AM
Thanks for posting this interview.

Renfrew_Hibby
04-09-2018, 11:56 AM
[QUOTE=Renfrew_Hibby;5542748]

Maybe but to say the surrounding areas near to Edinburgh are rural isn't really true when you think of all the towns such as Livingston, Broxburn, Bathgate, Uphall, Kirkliston, Musselburgh, Dalkeith etc. (the Lothians population is about 900k)
Does that Tyneside conurbation include the other cities such as Sunderland and Middlesbrough as I know combined their population is about 400k?

No it doesn't include Sunderland or Middlesbrough but it includes Gateshead (120,000) and South Shields (75,000).
The North East and the North of England in general has many towns that if they were in Scotland they would be considered large and important.
For example in Sunderland's metro area is the town of Washington, population of around 70,000. If Washington was in Scotland then it would be our largest town just about!
Most people in Washington identify with the Toon Army and not the Black Cats.

RoxburghHibs
04-09-2018, 11:57 AM
When Lennon's tenure at Easter Road ends (and hopefully that's a good while off yet) I would love to see Michael being the next man in charge.

RoxburghHibs
04-09-2018, 11:58 AM
[QUOTE=RoxburghHibs;5542779]

No it doesn't include Sunderland or Middlesbrough but it includes Gateshead (120,000) and South Shields (75,000).
The North East and the North of England in general has many towns that if they were in Scotland they would be considered large and important.
For example in Sunderland's metro area is the town of Washington, population of around 70,000. If Washington was in Scotland then it would be our largest town just about!
Most people in Washington identify with the Toon Army and not the Black Cats.

Okay fair enough and thanks for the info mate. But all said Edinburgh is the 6th biggest city in the UK so not small :greengrin

Future17
04-09-2018, 12:01 PM
[QUOTE=RoxburghHibs;5542662]Very good interview and comes across very well. Was one of my favourite players in the 1990's for Hibs :thumbsup:

Yes technically Newcastle is smaller than Edinburgh but Newcastle belongs to a large sprawling metro area, much like Glasgow and Manchester. Edinburgh does not have this advantage with much of what surrounds Edinburgh being quite rural and sparsely populated.

That and the fact it's essentially a one team city.

Frazerbob
04-09-2018, 12:05 PM
Remember being at one of his early games for HIBS midweek game at Firhill for thrills Guy was absolute lightening on the wing unplayable that night. Oh! and his goal against Hearts in the 2-1 Kevin Harper volley game at ER new year derby

Anyone that has the time Si Ferry interviews worth a watch. Good laugh! Especially Ally McCoist and Gary OConnor.

The Garry O’Connor interview was cringe worthy. The guy lives in Cloud Cookoo Land and was there really any need for all the swearing?

Chip shop Joe
04-09-2018, 12:36 PM
Great player. Remember him getting sent off at Tiny and prompty kicking a fire extinguisher. Almost broke his foot!

SRHibs
04-09-2018, 12:42 PM
Newcastle is a tiny city, but as people have noted, it’s heavily populated everywhere around it. Gateshead alone is probably as populated as somewhere like Dundee.

St James’ Park is the dominating feature of the city centre.

BILLYHIBS
04-09-2018, 12:48 PM
The Garry O’Connor interview was cringe worthy. The guy lives in Cloud Cookoo Land and was there really any need for all the swearing?
Gary OConnor interview was strange but worth a view for any Hibby!

Frazerbob
04-09-2018, 12:50 PM
Gary OConnor interview was strange but worth a view for any Hibby!

As long as you take everything GOC says with a sack of salt.

Danderhall Hibs
04-09-2018, 12:51 PM
Did MO’N mention why (or even hint) he didn’t get the Hibs job?

There were rumours a couple of years (even mentioned on the radio) ago that another manager in the spl tipped off RP that he was an alky and we ended up going for Fenlon.

Peevemor
04-09-2018, 12:53 PM
The Chic Charnley interview was very good. He comes across really well and admits his own failings - hardly any swearing either.

Baader
04-09-2018, 01:02 PM
Great player for Hibs. Anyone remember him and Jackson almost coming to blows one game?

Remember him almost coming to blows with Darren Dods at ER one night. They had to be pulled apart.

Michael was a fantastic player. Loved watching him. I remember bumping into him and chatting in Finngans Wake one Saturday night when he was a Hibs player. I was about 19 and he was in company. Couldve told me to get lost but he was an absolute gent. Would love to see him back at ER sometime if Lennon moves on but suspect that ship has sailed.

seanshow
04-09-2018, 01:52 PM
Did MO’N mention why (or even hint) he didn’t get the Hibs job?

There were rumours a couple of years (even mentioned on the radio) ago that another manager in the spl tipped off RP that he was an alky and we ended up going for Fenlon.

Those in the management and media circles seem to know who stopped it from happening, but they never revealed the name.
I think everyone wanted it to be a Mr Craig L so they could hate him even more....but apparently they are friends so It couldn't have been him.

Danderhall Hibs
04-09-2018, 05:38 PM
Those in the management and media circles seem to know who stopped it from happening, but they never revealed the name.
I think everyone wanted it to be a Mr Craig L so they could hate him even more....but apparently they are friends so It couldn't have been him.

It was definitely implied it was him - I can’t remember who it was that said it.

overdrive
04-09-2018, 05:41 PM

I think CL is even bigger friends with Fenlon though. He probably thought it was just banter and a bit of a laugh.

bigwheel
04-09-2018, 05:48 PM
It was definitely implied it was him - I can’t remember who it was that said it.

It was certainly implied in a radio discussion that it was from Dundee United ..and most assumed they meant Levein..I guess it could have been from Someone else at the club

Mango Man
04-09-2018, 06:55 PM
It was a brilliant interview, he speaks so well, the hour just flew by, would love him to be Hibs manager one day.

Frazerbob
04-09-2018, 07:57 PM
Fenlon’s agent had a few players at Dundee Utd at the time and the ‘alky’ rumour was spread via them. MO’N had verbally accepted an offer from Hibs but that was withdrawn after the rumour surfaced as it was felt that we needed a gaffer who would put an end to the George St culture, not add to it. At least that’s what he was told.

silverhibee
04-09-2018, 09:44 PM
Fenlon’s agent had a few players at Dundee Utd at the time and the ‘alky’ rumour was spread via them. MO’N had verbally accepted an offer from Hibs but that was withdrawn after the rumour surfaced as it was felt that we needed a gaffer who would put an end to the George St culture, not add to it. At least that’s what he was told.

The whole thing was so shady, and more bizarre that Fenlon was pulled up when the manager of hibs about his and his assistants drinking habits.

I'm not allowed to say anymore, but I do think we will eventually in time get to hear the full story of how O'Neil never got the job and Fenlon did.

Frazerbob
04-09-2018, 09:48 PM
The whole thing was so shady, and more bizarre that Fenlon was pulled up when the manager of hibs about his and his assistants drinking habits.

I'm not allowed to say anymore, but I do think we will eventually in time get to hear the full story of how O'Neil never got the job and Fenlon did.

Even more bizarre that MO’N and Fenlon could often be found enjoying a pint together in The Morning Glory pub.

hibsboy69
04-09-2018, 09:54 PM
Why are you "not allowed to say anymore" ?

Did you sign a "Confidentiality Agreement" or something ?

Genuine question.

BILLYHIBS
04-09-2018, 10:19 PM
As long as you take everything GOC says with a sack of salt.

:thumbsup: