PDA

View Full Version : Mickie Weir

Lago
03-09-2018, 04:54 PM
Attended Kirkcaldy YM v Bathgate Thistle cup game on Saturday & had the pleasure of meeting an old time favourite of mine, Mickie Weir, assistant manager at Bathgate. Looking fine I did have to admit to him my Son in Law was manager of his opponents.
For the record game finished 1 all Kirkcaldy going through on penalties 4 - 2.

Stantons Angel
03-09-2018, 09:47 PM
a very kind and amiable young man whose blood runs green inside him.

wearehibernian
03-09-2018, 10:05 PM
Hibs Legend! :agree:

Hibbyradge
03-09-2018, 10:07 PM
Hibs Legend! :agree:

League cup winner 1991.

wearehibernian
03-09-2018, 10:16 PM
League cup winner 1991.

Yep, part of a team who fought so hard for everything during a time when that cup win almost seemed impossible!

villahibs
03-09-2018, 10:33 PM
🎼 he’s here, he’s there....

Nemo
03-09-2018, 11:35 PM
I've worked with his son in the landscaping for the last few years, had the pleasure of meeting him a few times now, lovely humble guy.

BILLYHIBS
04-09-2018, 05:29 AM
Yep, part of a team who fought so hard for everything during a time when that cup win almost seemed impossible!
The team that would not die!

I remember getting to Hampden that day 1991 League Cup Final pay at the gate 1.30 pm thought plenty time will go for a pint gets back 2.30pm they were starting to close the turnstiles the support was awesome every man woman child and their dog!

Alex Millers half time talk and Mickey Weir grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck and falling over in the box turned the game in HIBS favour.

The scenes at ER that evening were amazing.

Lago
04-09-2018, 10:46 AM

I remember getting to Hampden that day 1991 League Cup Final pay at the gate 1.30 pm thought plenty time will go for a pint gets back 2.30pm they were starting to close the turnstiles the support was awesome every man woman child and their dog!

Alex Millers half time talk and Mickey Weir grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck and falling over in the box turned the game in HIBS favour.

Remember it well, great day out.

lord bunberry
04-09-2018, 10:51 AM

Most of the fans on our bus didn’t get in. Me and my mate ran from the bus to the stadium and that’s the only reason we got in. I was much younger then, nowadays I’d have been one of the folk that didn’t get in :greengrin

worcesterhibby
04-09-2018, 10:58 AM
arrived early by train and was amazed as the place filled up to the brim. The scenes were amazing when Keith scored the winner from the through ball from Mickey..being the old terracing I ended up about 20 yards from where I started and found myself being hugged by a guy wearing a Womble costume ! If you were that Womble..you have become my abiding memory of the final !!

BILLYHIBS
04-09-2018, 02:35 PM
I remember being at the semi final against Rangers. Richard Gough was injured. HIBS sensed they had a chance. The game kicked off and the green and white jerseys swarmed around the Rangers eighteen yard box. Half way through the first half Goram came off his line to make a clearance but only succeeded in punching the ball straight to Mickey Weir he looked up and popped an exquisite ball right on Keith Wright’s head who could not miss and headered the ball straight into the centre of the open goal.The whole stadium froze and looked at the referee for what seemed like an eternity but he had no choice but to award the goal as there was a Rangers defender on each post. Our small band of Hibernian supporters in the Celtic end went absolutely radge!!!

Lago
04-09-2018, 02:54 PM
I remember being at the semi final against Rangers. Richard Gough was injured. HIBS sensed they had a chance. The game kicked off and the green and white jerseys swarmed around the Rangers eighteen yard box. Half way through the first half Goram came off his line to make a clearance but only succeeded in punching the ball straight to Mickey Weir he looked up and popped an exquisite ball right on Keith Wright’s head who could not miss and headered the ball straight into the centre of the open goal.The whole stadium froze and looked at the referee for what seemed like an eternity but he had no choice but to award the goal as there was a Rangers defender on each post. Our small band of Hibernian supporters in the Celtic end went absolutely radge!!!
I'll hold my hand up, didn't think we has a chance so wasn't even listening on the radio, but my son came down & said Hibs are winning you know. Couldn't believe it. Made damn sure I was at the final fantastic, give Alec Miller his due great team performance. Happy days.

Peevemor
04-09-2018, 02:57 PM

I was there too. We weren't that small a band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9gl1DJNiJs

And Goram only fliffed his punch because he was too busy making sure he got the Hibs player with his other arm/shoulder at the same time.

penihibs
04-09-2018, 03:16 PM

And Goram only fliffed his punch because he was too busy making sure he got the Hibs player with his other arm/shoulder at the same time.

Yeah think that was Mark MGraw?
Great night, 7000 Hibs going nuts!

bod
04-09-2018, 03:36 PM

Missed the goal,stuck in traffic on the Carlton bus

jaf
04-09-2018, 03:47 PM
Sometimes pop round to Creamery park for a game, as I live more or less next door. Even more reason to go round now.

I remember him leaving to go to Luton for was it more than £300K and then coming back again not too long later. Have I got that right?

Niffy
04-09-2018, 03:52 PM
Yeah think that was Mark MGraw?
Great night, 7000 Hibs going nuts!

Aye McGraw got decked.

Mickey had to make a quick exit from the Railway in Haddington at the end of East Lothian HSC first annual bash.

Great night and attendance from Mickey , Keith, Gareth , Chris Reid and even Fish.

lord bunberry
04-09-2018, 04:17 PM
Our bus stopped at the Celtic supporters club on London road on the way through. There was a few Celtic fans wishing us luck before the game, but you could tell they didn’t think we would win. We went back after the game and they were waiting outside for us and celebrating with us in the club :greengrin

Fuzzywuzzy
04-09-2018, 04:21 PM
Lived across the road from brian Welsh in clermiston grove

rcarter1
04-09-2018, 04:28 PM
The semi final was my 'dreams can come true moment'. Abiding memory was of a guy behind in the last five minutes, all he could say was 'medals Hibs medals!!' Thought he'd jinxed it..

BILLYHIBS
04-09-2018, 04:33 PM
The semi final was my 'dreams can come true moment'. Abiding memory was of a guy behind in the last five minutes, all he could say was 'medals Hibs medals!!' Thought he'd jinxed it..
Aye! Probably meant out the park for medals! We were certainly under the cosh I remember Budgie making a couple of decent saves from Hateley and Super ******** especially one double save that he managed to tip onto the post! 😁

Peevemor
04-09-2018, 04:35 PM
The semi final was my 'dreams can come true moment'. Abiding memory was of a guy behind in the last five minutes, all he could say was 'medals Hibs medals!!' Thought he'd jinxed it..I probably enjoyed the semi result more than the final. Dunfermline had beaten Airdrie in the other semi at Tynie the previous night. We regularly beat Dunfermline at the time but Scairdrie under Alex Macdonald were a real bogey team for us. IIRC Jimmy Sandison had a penalty awarded against him for chesting the ball outside the box. He was even more sour pussed than normal.

In any case, when we won the semi I knew that the cup was 90% ours.

Wakeyhibee
04-09-2018, 05:28 PM

That is one of my most memorable Hibs moments. No one gave us a chance against them. Budgie played a huge part that night too.

Lago
04-09-2018, 06:43 PM
Sometimes pop round to Creamery park for a game, as I live more or less next door. Even more reason to go round now.

I remember him leaving to go to Luton for was it more than £300K and then coming back again not too long later. Have I got that right?
Yes you have

JCHibby
04-09-2018, 07:41 PM
Attended Kirkcaldy YM v Bathgate Thistle cup game on Saturday & had the pleasure of meeting an old time favourite of mine, Mickie Weir, assistant manager at Bathgate. Looking fine I did have to admit to him my Son in Law was manager of his opponents.

Had the pleasure of Mickey being my coach for a number of years playing at 16 on wards. Was a great coach and phenomenal experience for me personally.

geohibby
04-09-2018, 08:11 PM
League cup winner 1991.

I was at the semi when we beat newco, after
The game i got punched by 1 of there fans
The guy was about 40 and i was 16, just shows
What kind of fans they have.

WoreTheGreen
04-09-2018, 08:49 PM
Missed the goal,stuck in traffic on the Carlton bus

Me to on that bus missed the first 20mins

lord bunberry
04-09-2018, 09:04 PM
It was oldco then surely :greengrin

Clarence
04-09-2018, 09:48 PM
Was just at primary school then so had to listen to the game on Forth radio. Am I correct in thinking it was the first Scottish game covered by Sky TV? Always remember Grant Stott being the DJ who came on the radio after the football coverage had finished that night. He emotionally said “After that result there’s only one song to play” which was “I’m On My Way(from misery to happiness today)” by the Proclaimers. Given the troubles of the preceding years it felt very poignant. I also remember Mickey Weir, with his long curly curtains hairstyle, visiting my Primary School to launch The Hibernian Award scheme.

BILLYHIBS
04-09-2018, 09:57 PM
I can relate to that.
I was at the game when we drew with Old Co I think 1971 semi SC Hampden Dave Ewing was our new Manager from Man City. He was later to utter the immortal words “Rangers are rubbish.”
Anyway the Rangers end emptied about five minutes from the final whistle.Shortly after they had sung the immortal chant “Your gonna get your ****ing heads kicked in”
I made my way in the pitch black to find my bus I think it was the Carlton Branch.
Sure enough at the bottom of the stairs I was confronted by a forty something knuckle dragger with a Hun scarf on who grabbed me by the lapels and asked me to speak.I was fifteen at the time and I had to be in Formy at Auggies at 8.50 am the following morning.It was also forty five years before HIBS would actually win the Scottish Cup and there was no way I had any intention of missing both these future appointments so in my best Glasgow brogue I uttered the words “ What are you talking about Jimmy? Definaaately by the way!” To which he looked at me totally confused.com shrugged and looked around for somebody even smaller and easier to pick on.
As I grew into an adult Supporting HIBS with three children I have been on the losing side in semi finals and finals at Hampden umpteen times and have never felt the need to frighten the living **** out of young defenceless fans.
Many years later on returning to my car after the Ross County League Cup Final I was met by a couple of young Staggies fans whose car was parked next to ours they looked at us apprehensively as they saw our HIBS scarves and strips the fact there was five of us all over six foot tall all seriously pissed off I just looked at them and smiled and said “Well played lads!”
What right thinking fans would want to punch out defenceless young fans?
They sing it themselves “ No one likes us. We don’t care.”
On the 21/5/2016 I never saw any The Rangers fans by the time we left the Stadium they were long gone.
Got back to my car had left my match programme on the back seat car parked in the Hampden Residents Parking Zone fined £30
Worth every ****ing penny !

geohibby
05-09-2018, 11:10 AM
I can relate to that.
I was at the game when we drew with Old Co I think 1971 semi SC Hampden Dave Ewing was our new Manager from Man City. He was later to utter the immortal words “Rangers are rubbish.”
Anyway the Rangers end emptied about five minutes from the final whistle.Shortly after they had sung the immortal chant “Your gonna get your ****ing heads kicked in”
I made my way in the pitch black to find my bus I think it was the Carlton Branch.
Sure enough at the bottom of the stairs I was confronted by a forty something knuckle dragger with a Hun scarf on who grabbed me by the lapels and asked me to speak.I was fifteen at the time and I had to be in Formy at Auggies at 8.50 am the following morning.It was also forty five years before HIBS would actually win the Scottish Cup and there was no way I had any intention of missing both these future appointments so in my best Glasgow brogue I uttered the words “ What are you talking about Jimmy? Definaaately by the way!” To which he looked at me totally confused.com shrugged and looked around for somebody even smaller and easier to pick on.
As I grew into an adult Supporting HIBS with three children I have been on the losing side in semi finals and finals at Hampden umpteen times and have never felt the need to frighten the living **** out of young defenceless fans.
Many years later on returning to my car after the Ross County League Cup Final I was met by a couple of young Staggies fans whose car was parked next to ours they looked at us apprehensively as they saw our HIBS scarves and strips the fact there was five of us all over six foot tall all seriously pissed off I just looked at them and smiled and said “Well played lads!”
What right thinking fans would want to punch out defenceless young fans?
They sing it themselves “ No one likes us. We don’t care.”
On the 21/5/2016 I never saw any The Rangers fans by the time we left the Stadium they were long gone.
Got back to my car had left my match programme on the back seat car parked in the Hampden Residents Parking Zone fined £30
Worth every ****ing penny !
They do it because they are cowards plain and simpl
I live in Glasgow and you can always spot a Rangers
Fan, they all have 'walking dead' look, hateful
And bitter to the core

Loopz
20-09-2018, 10:03 PM
Taking part in this event at Pitreavie Dunfermline tomorrow.

https://www.facebook.com/oldfirmlegends/photos/not-long-to-go-to-the-legends-soccer-sixes-tournament-at-pitreavie-sports-and-so/1937607202962700/

HibbiesandtheBaddies
20-09-2018, 10:08 PM
Mickey Weir = Hibs class

Toldo123
20-09-2018, 10:16 PM
I remember the on field celebrations after the presentation. As you can imagine the whole team was going crazy. But wee Mickey was just going absolutely mad and dancing around. Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Speedway
21-09-2018, 09:28 AM
The roar when Mickey fed Keith to tuck the second one away and we knew we'd won it, though.

Peevemor
21-09-2018, 10:19 AM
The roar when Mickey fed Keith to tuck the second one away and we knew we'd won it, though.

Up until then, Keith had a 100% scoring record from one-on-ones that season (I think he'd scored 5 or 6), so when Mickey slid the ball through we knew what was going to happen. However, and IIRC, he didn't manage another one all season.

Speedway
21-09-2018, 02:37 PM
Up until then, Keith had a 100% scoring record from one-on-ones that season (I think he'd scored 5 or 6), so when Mickey slid the ball through we knew what was going to happen. However, and IIRC, he didn't manage another one all season.

Top stat. I didn't know that.

Stevie Reid
21-09-2018, 02:57 PM

Did he not take one round Henry Smith from a short passback the very next week at ER against Hearts?

Peevemor
21-09-2018, 03:14 PM
Did he not take one round Henry Smith from a short passback the very next week at ER against Hearts?Possibly (I can't remember) but I'm speaking about one-on-ones where the ball's fed through to the striker.

Halifaxhibby
21-09-2018, 03:22 PM

Did keith no score in every round of the cup that year?

GGTTH
FTHMFC

Stevie Reid
21-09-2018, 03:36 PM

GGTTH
FTHMFC

Pretty sure he did.

Stevie Reid
21-09-2018, 03:37 PM
Possibly (I can't remember) but I'm speaking about one-on-ones where the ball's fed through to the striker.

Just had a look and he nips in ahead of the keeper, so definitely not like a one on one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8oiDAYKsPk

Peevemor
21-09-2018, 04:34 PM

GGTTH
FTHMFCHe did. It was after the final that he started to fluff the one-on-ones.

Loopz
21-09-2018, 10:49 PM
MW was an absolute star tonight. Played over an hour of football at 6 a side showing glimpses of the player we all loved. My son played in his team and Mickey showed some real determination to protect a young team against the usual Scottish attitude of we are harder than you. It’s a real credit to him that he continues to work for causes in which he believes.

Sweet Left Peg
22-09-2018, 12:30 AM
Mickey Weir was my first footballing idol. As a kid, I used to love watching him beat players, trick them, set up the strikers... I know as an adult that there would have been games where he was poor, or misplaced passes, or missed sitters. But to a wee Hibs daft laddie, he was the one who stood out, not just because his shorts were baggy beyond belief or down to his knees. He was the guy who got me out of my seat with the sort of excitement that addicts young fans to a football team.

I remember going up to watch a midweek game with my dad and a pal of his, in the car from the Borders. It was my first midweek game, under the lights, and the first one since my mum had died. I was 10 years old and I remember being starstruck when Mickey Weir came over to take a corner at the Cowshed/Terracing corner. I had never been so close to any real footballer, let alone Mickey Weir, ever, but that moment will stay with me. I don't know what the score was and I don't know if the corner came to anything. But for that moment when he came to take the corner right in front of us, I was in awe.

He was pivotal on the 25th September 1991. And on the 27th October 1991.

In the semi Vs Rangers, his chipped pass for Keith Wright's winning header was perfect. It could not have been placed any better than it was. Around about that same time, a doctor was telling me that he was very sorry and that he had done all that he could, but he was afraid that my daddy was dead. I spent the second half outside the house, in the car with one of my dad's pals listening to the second half of the radio. He said that if we could hold on then he would take me to the final. We did....and he did.

Mickey Weir was instrumental that day as well, which happened to be my birthday. It was the first time I had been to Hampden. I can't remember much of the first half, but I think I spent most of the second half sat upon a post, watching the Hibees try to score into the distance. And we did....twice!

For me, Mickey Weir represents a constant throughout some wonderful and some very difficult times. He represents what is good about football, he represents a smile on kids's faces, he represents jumpers for goalposts. I don't doubt that he had bad games but, to me, he was the standout guy at a time when I became completely and utterly hooked on Hibs.

BILLYHIBS
29-09-2018, 06:02 PM
Mickey Weir on Off the Ball tonight

BILLYHIBS
29-09-2018, 06:09 PM
Speaking about the incredible scenes in Edinburgh and back at the Stadium after the 1991/92 League Cup Win.

Says he was that knackered he had to go to his bed as teetotal

Went to the Scottish Cup Final as a fan with his laddie spoke about his family all hibbies that did not live to see it.

The two weegies kept trying to rip the pish oot o him by playing Luton Airport but he held his own

One of our own 😀👍🇳🇬🏆⚽️

greenlex
30-09-2018, 08:29 AM
Speaking about the incredible scenes in Edinburgh and back at the Stadium after the 1991/92 League Cup Win.

Says he was that knackered he had to go to his bed as teetotal

Went to the Scottish Cup Final as a fan with his laddie spoke about his family all hibbies that did not live to see it.

The two weegies kept trying to rip the pish oot o him by playing Luton Airport but he held his own

One of our own 😀👍🇳🇬🏆⚽️
Hardly ripping the pish. 5 songs about milestones in his footballing life which he talked candidly about. Neither of them are from the weege either. Ones from Motherwell the other Perth.
Funny how folks see or rather hear things differently.

BILLYHIBS
30-09-2018, 08:43 AM
Hardly ripping the pish. 5 songs about milestones in his footballing life which he talked candidly about. Neither of them are from the weege either. Ones from Motherwell the other Perth.
Funny how folks see or rather hear things differently.

You are correct apologies for the stereotyping I know that one is a Motherwell fan and one is a big saints fan they do try their best to inject humour into any football situation. I enjoy the show and enjoyed last nights interview. My intention was simply to get my fellow posters to tune in. Apologies if my stereotypical comments upset you it was merely my ill judged attempt to inject some humour. No harm meant :greengrin

Is It On....
30-09-2018, 09:23 AM
Did he not take one round Henry Smith from a short passback the very next week at ER against Hearts?

I remember that..I thought it was a strange goal at the time as the play seemed to stop and Keith just passed it into the net..I was waiting for it to be disallowed for some reason...then loads of people started waving cardboard cut out cups covered in silver foil..

Stantons Angel
01-10-2018, 10:51 AM
Mickey Weir was my first footballing idol. As a kid, I used to love watching him beat players, trick them, set up the strikers... I know as an adult that there would have been games where he was poor, or misplaced passes, or missed sitters. But to a wee Hibs daft laddie, he was the one who stood out, not just because his shorts were baggy beyond belief or down to his knees. He was the guy who got me out of my seat with the sort of excitement that addicts young fans to a football team.

I remember going up to watch a midweek game with my dad and a pal of his, in the car from the Borders. It was my first midweek game, under the lights, and the first one since my mum had died. I was 10 years old and I remember being starstruck when Mickey Weir came over to take a corner at the Cowshed/Terracing corner. I had never been so close to any real footballer, let alone Mickey Weir, ever, but that moment will stay with me. I don't know what the score was and I don't know if the corner came to anything. But for that moment when he came to take the corner right in front of us, I was in awe.

He was pivotal on the 25th September 1991. And on the 27th October 1991.

In the semi Vs Rangers, his chipped pass for Keith Wright's winning header was perfect. It could not have been placed any better than it was. Around about that same time, a doctor was telling me that he was very sorry and that he had done all that he could, but he was afraid that my daddy was dead. I spent the second half outside the house, in the car with one of my dad's pals listening to the second half of the radio. He said that if we could hold on then he would take me to the final. We did....and he did.

Mickey Weir was instrumental that day as well, which happened to be my birthday. It was the first time I had been to Hampden. I can't remember much of the first half, but I think I spent most of the second half sat upon a post, watching the Hibees try to score into the distance. And we did....twice!

For me, Mickey Weir represents a constant throughout some wonderful and some very difficult times. He represents what is good about football, he represents a smile on kids's faces, he represents jumpers for goalposts. I don't doubt that he had bad games but, to me, he was the standout guy at a time when I became completely and utterly hooked on Hibs.

Hi,

I have complete empathy with your statement about Mickey, he is everything you say he is and more.

At the particular time you talk of I was very ill and could not see beyond the day I was living in.

Going along to watch Hibs and particularly Mickey, who was my hero at the time, was the only thing that I looked forward too.

His ability to take on players twice his size to beat them fair and squarely and to give us fans something to smile about was a godsend.

He has become a great friend of mine over the years and through the very difficult times he and the Hibs gave me a distraction to think of other things other than the situation I found myself in and the sadness I felt.

Football and the passion it brings with it is therapy in itself and one that should be remembered.

BILLYHIBS
01-10-2018, 10:56 AM
Hi,

I have complete empathy with your statement about Mickey, he is everything you say he is and more.

At the particular time you talk of I was very ill and could not see beyond the day I was living in.

Going along to watch Hibs and particularly Mickey, who was my hero at the time, was the only thing that I looked forward too.

His ability to take on players twice his size to beat them fair and squarely and to give us fans something to smile about was a godsend.

He has become a great friend of mine over the years and through the very difficult times he and the Hibs gave me a distraction to think of other things other than the situation I found myself in and the sadness I felt.

Football and the passion it brings with it is therapy in itself and one that should be remembered.

:thumbsup:

CMurdoch
01-10-2018, 11:09 AM
Hi,

You 2 guys (Sweet Left Peg) could bring a tear to a glass eye. It never fails to amaze me how football can reach the parts of us other therapies can't and in some appalling situations be a tonic that helps people to hang in. Thanks for sharing.

Green Man
01-10-2018, 11:49 AM
I used to stay next door to Mickey Weir’s brother. I was gutted he never came to visit any time I was in.

IWasThere2016
01-10-2018, 11:55 AM

Spent time with him pre and post that Cup Final (and Joe T and Geebsy) .. Mickey was class. Hibs class. A great lad. :top marks

Stantons Angel
01-10-2018, 01:00 PM
You 2 guys (Sweet Left Peg) could bring a tear to a glass eye. It never fails to amaze me how football can reach the parts of us other therapies can't and in some appalling situations be a tonic that helps people to hang in. Thanks for sharing.

The passion we have for our football team is something personal to us and us alone.

When life throws **** at you its good to have something and somebody to cling on to.
Thats what football is all about for the supporter its a release from hurt and pain a place you meet with like minded people who dont keep asking "are you ok"all the time.
Its 90mins of freedom from being alone, a place where you can go and be with family.

for young kids who are ill or unwell a visit from their idol can perk them up no end and make them feel they are special.

for me Mickey had to fight adversity every week on the football pitch. him being so wee and slight in build the big "bullies" used to try and hurt him physically.

He had to use his skills and thought to evade some very crude tackles and suffers from being a victim of many of them connecting with him.

to see this as a supporter stirs up your emotions and makes you feel again and want to wallop the offenders!! (at least i did)

Making you feel other emotions other than negative ones.

Yes, the power and the passion generated by football is a strange and powerful thing. There have been many studies done on this subject and peoples love for their football team is now used in many ways to help people. The Early Days project that the football clubs run with the SFA is an example as they help those with Alzheimers remember things from their pasts. Games their teams won which they can relate to the feelings they had a the time.

Using the power and passion of football is a great thing!

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-10-2018, 07:22 PM
This room has too much dust in it, keeps getting in my eyes!