PDA

View Full Version : Wasted talent

03-09-2018, 04:45 PM
Just having read the Scott Allan thread and saying how a player of his talent is wasted at Celtic sitting on the bench or in the stand, what other players come to mind that wasted their talent?

Riordan was another one ruined at Celtic. What a player he was, one of the best strikers I've seen in a hibs jersey in my years watching hibs and had he chose a better move away from us I reckon he would have had a fantastic career for both club and Scotland.

O'Connor another one with so much potential but though stupid decisions and choosing to go down the drugs route he really never hit the heights he should have.

Stokes - really should still be playing at a half decent level but sadly let himself down with having a poor attitude and an overly inflated ego.

Jamesie
03-09-2018, 04:56 PM
Barry Lavety

SirDavidsNapper
03-09-2018, 04:58 PM
Just having read the Scott Allan thread and saying how a player of his talent is wasted at Celtic sitting on the bench or in the stand, what other players come to mind that wasted their talent?

Riordan was another one ruined at Celtic. What a player he was, one of the best strikers I've seen in a hibs jersey in my years watching hibs and had he chose a better move away from us I reckon he would have had a fantastic career for both club and Scotland.

O'Connor another one with so much potential but though stupid decisions and choosing to go down the drugs route he really never hit the heights he should have.

Stokes - really should still be playing at a half decent level but sadly let himself down with having a poor attitude and an overly inflated ego.

To be fair Stokes is absolutely raking it in over in Iran. He always seems to come up smelling of roses.

Agree about Riordan. Even when he came back to Hibs he was still quality.

Mainstandman
03-09-2018, 05:05 PM
Feels like christie's heading that way . It's a crying shame that him and Allan just won't play much football this year.

BILLYHIBS
03-09-2018, 05:24 PM
Peter Marinello Fallen Idle

SRHibs
03-09-2018, 06:09 PM
Players with the talent of Riordan and the attitude of Lewy become top, top players.

beensaidbefore
03-09-2018, 06:58 PM
Brian Welsh?

judas
04-09-2018, 07:00 PM
Brian Welsh?

Lol

BILLYHIBS
04-09-2018, 07:14 PM
Peter Marinello Fallen Idle

Guys Put this out there as being a tremendous autobiography from Scotland’s George Best a great read and a warning for young up and coming players of how not to go about being a player at the top of the game. I remember a 1-3 win at Ibrox in which Marinello scored two the headlines in the Pink that night were “Punchinello rocks the Gers” triggering a move to Arsenal that he did not ask for or expect. Fame came too soon for this local lad all he wanted to do was play for HIBS and what a player he would have been if allowed to develop he was truly a wasted talent .
GGTTH

iwasthere1972
04-09-2018, 07:18 PM
Guys Put this out there as being a tremendous autobiography from Scotland’s George Best a great read and a warning for young up and coming players of how not to go about being a player at the top of the game. I remember a 1-3 win at Ibrox in which Marinello scored two the headlines in the Pink that night were “Punchinello rocks the Gers” trigerring a move to Arsenal that he did not ask for or expect. Fame came too soon for this local lad all he wanted to do was play for HIBS and what a player he would have been if allowed to develop he was truly a wasted talent .
GGTTH

Had the good fortune of being at that 3-1 game and remember Marinello being sold. Think everybody was surprised by how quick it happened.

BILLYHIBS
04-09-2018, 07:20 PM
Not as surprised as Peter Cormack as he was told defo he next to move cos HIBS were a selling club even then??

BILLYHIBS
04-09-2018, 07:32 PM
There was a Premier Manager think it might have been Fergie that said this Autobiography was a must read for all his players

jacomo
04-09-2018, 07:36 PM
]To be fair Stokes is absolutely raking it in over in Iran. [/B]He always seems to come up smelling of roses.

Agree about Riordan. Even when he came back to Hibs he was still quality.

Is he? Pleased he’s earning a decent wage but can’t imagine Iran’s domestic scene is awash with money.

Hibbyradge
04-09-2018, 07:44 PM
Danny Swanson

Big Dave

O'Rourke3
04-09-2018, 07:45 PM
George Best but maybe not in the category the OP intended.

Sent from my KFTBWI using Tapatalk

Jim44
04-09-2018, 08:35 PM

Money is clearly more important to him than actually playing. I am not criticising him as I understand his dilemma, but just making an observation. Chances are, Allan is, sadly, not going to go far in football ( too much water under the bridge, IMO) so I suppose he has to make hay, financially, while the sun shines. Shame but c’est la vie. Given he thrives with us and seems to flatten out with other clubs, unless he comes back to us, I can see him slipping into obscurity in the next two or three years.

eastmainsmsh
04-09-2018, 08:39 PM
Barry Lavety

Cracking player fast for a big lad

BILLYHIBS
04-09-2018, 10:27 PM
Cracking player fast for a big lad
Cracking goal against the Hearts at ER to prolong our survival hopes and help end any chance of them winning the SPL.
Used to sweat a lot for a fat boy remember that :greengrin

BegbieHSC
04-09-2018, 10:56 PM
Chris Dagnall #29

oldbutdim
04-09-2018, 10:59 PM
Cracking goal against the Hearts at ER to prolong our survival hopes and help end any chance of them winning the SPL.
Used to sweat a lot for a fat boy remember that :greengrin

He had his moments.

His sister is a lovely girl.

jacomo
04-09-2018, 11:07 PM
He had his moments.

His sister is a lovely girl.

Is he still in Australia?

oldbutdim
04-09-2018, 11:16 PM
Is he still in Australia?

Last I heard he was working locally.

Hibrandenburg
04-09-2018, 11:57 PM
Tam McManus. Watched him in the pre-season friendlies and thought this boy would go far. Damp squib.

jockodile
05-09-2018, 02:20 AM
Hard to say wasted when ending up a club legend but i always thought Paul Mcstay should have left Celtic in early 90s to try England or Italy.

Andymac85
05-09-2018, 05:04 AM
Deek for me, I know he was/is a hero for us, but always thought he could have achieved so much more in the game. I’d put Scott Brown in that same bracket, should have played in some of Europe’s top leagues, settled and festered at Celtic.

Yorkshire HFC
05-09-2018, 05:05 AM
I wouldn't say any of the people listed are wasted talents. They all played professional football at the highest level - that's a brilliant achievement and they all put in a lifetime of hard work to get there.

I'd say they are all high achievers.

Centre Hawf
05-09-2018, 06:19 AM
Deek for me, I know he was/is a hero for us, but always thought he could have achieved so much more in the game. I’d put Scott Brown in that same bracket, should have played in some of Europe’s top leagues, settled and festered at Celtic.

Had this debate with a pal. But I would rather captain Celtic for 8+ years to countless trophies, double trebles, invincible season, big european nights at Parkhead. Than go and drift around Watford, West Brom, Palace.

There’s realistically only a few clubs in England I would pass all that up for. The obvious top 5/6 then maybe Everton but even then they have shocking seasons too.

eastmainsmsh
05-09-2018, 08:53 AM
Last I heard he was working locally.

Think Basher was working as a Gas Engineer and playing golf

Bangkok Hibby
05-09-2018, 09:01 AM
Guys Put this out there as being a tremendous autobiography from Scotland’s George Best a great read and a warning for young up and coming players of how not to go about being a player at the top of the game. I remember a 1-3 win at Ibrox in which Marinello scored two the headlines in the Pink that night were “Punchinello rocks the Gers” triggering a move to Arsenal that he did not ask for or expect. Fame came too soon for this local lad all he wanted to do was play for HIBS and what a player he would have been if allowed to develop he was truly a wasted talent .
GGTTH

One of my favourite players in a Hibs shirt. Not long finished the book, well worth a read. For those who have read it I was told a slightly different story about Olivia Newton John being at a party with Arsenal players. Nothing for a public forum though. :greengrin

Peevemor
05-09-2018, 09:22 AM
Money is clearly more important to him than actually playing. I am not criticising him as I understand his dilemma, but just making an observation. Chances are, Allan is, sadly, not going to go far in football ( too much water under the bridge, IMO) so I suppose he has to make hay, financially, while the sun shines. Shame but c’est la vie. Given he thrives with us and seems to flatten out with other clubs, unless he comes back to us, I can see him slipping into obscurity in the next two or three years.

Do you know that for sure? Although he would have had his say, any loan deal would have to be agreed between the 2 clubs. It could well be that he had nothing to do with the move not happening. According to some Hibs knew early on that it wasn't going to happen.

Gaffer1875
05-09-2018, 09:32 AM
Darren McCormack
Derek Riordan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WellingtonHibby
05-09-2018, 09:46 AM
Is he? Pleased he’s earning a decent wage but can’t imagine Iran’s domestic scene is awash with money.

Based on what?

Spike Mandela
05-09-2018, 10:26 AM

Get what you are saying as all could have had longer careers and perhaps went on to bigger and better things with the correct attitude but wasted talent?

All have won honours, International caps and football was undoubtedly financially rewarding for them

Scott Allan Key
05-09-2018, 10:38 AM

That’s a common misconception. Very rich in natural resources that don’t get hoovered up by western companies.

Jim44
05-09-2018, 12:01 PM
Do you know that for sure? Although he would have had his say, any loan deal would have to be agreed between the 2 clubs. It could well be that he had nothing to do with the move not happening. According to some Hibs knew early on that it wasn't going to happen.

Of course I don’t know for sure, like probably 90% or more of the stuff you read on this forum. But if we can safely assume that he has no future at Parkhead, with a bit of compromise on his and Celtic’s part, maybe a deal to get him playing could have been done. For example, let’s say he is on £30k per month. That’s £120k Celtic have to fork out between now and Christmas to someone who is of no practical use to them except for the odd place on the bench. If he accepted a payoff of, say £60k, and came to us on a wage of £12k per month, his earnings for the four months would be £108k. He would lose £12k on the deal and of course his earnings after New Year would be very much lower than what he would earn with Celtic, but at least he would be back playing a key role, full time at a club where he is appreciated and, who knows, where he could rebuild his career to move on to bigger things. Maybe a deal like that might be possible in January. As I said in my original post, the money he will earn at Celtic between now and next summer is more likely to be more important than resurrecting his playing career and I don’t blame him. Pie in the sky, maybe, but I’m looking at the fact that he must be desperate to get playing again.

Peevemor
05-09-2018, 12:14 PM
Of course I don’t know for sure, like probably 90% or more of the stuff you read on this forum. But if we can safely assume that he has no future at Parkhead, with a bit of compromise on his and Celtic’s part, maybe a deal to get him playing could have been done. For example, let’s say he is on £30k per month. That’s £120k Celtic have to fork out between now and Christmas to someone who is of no practical use to them except for the odd place on the bench. If he accepted a payoff of, say £60k, and came to us on a wage of £12k per month, his earnings for the four months would be £108k. He would lose £12k on the deal and of course his earnings after New Year would be very much lower than what he would earn with Celtic, but at least he would be back playing a key role, full time at a club where he is appreciated and, who knows, where he could rebuild his career to move on to bigger things. Maybe a deal like that might be possible in January. As I said in my original post, the money he will earn at Celtic between now and next summer is more likely to be more important than resurrecting his playing career and I don’t blame him. Pie in the sky, maybe, but I’m looking at the fact that he must be desperate to get playing again.

You've gone from "clearly" to "more likely".

Since Friday we've seen people blaming the player for being too greedy, blaming Petrie for being too stingy and blaming Leeann for "puling the plug".

Could it not just have been that Celtic simply wanted too much money compared to what we can afford?

Jim44
05-09-2018, 01:01 PM
You've gone from "clearly" to "more likely".

Since Friday we've seen people blaming the player for being too greedy, blaming Petrie for being too stingy and blaming Leeann for "puling the plug".

Could it not just have been that Celtic simply wanted too much money compared to what we can afford?

a. I admit to being less definite.
b. I never said he was greedy. I actually said I could understand his position.
c. Possibly, but I’m not talking about a straight cash for player deal, but a compromise on their and SA’s part.

I’ve no idea about RP’s or LD’s part in the situation. In fact, I’ve said elsewhere that, if and when we get more details, the chances are that we’ll find they were acting in the best interests of Hibs.

allezsauzee
05-09-2018, 01:07 PM
Maybe the fault lies more with the players themselves rather than with the clubs. If a player doesn't show the requisite attitude in training and work rate on the pitch then they are unlikely to hold down a place in the team when the club has other options of similar quality. I don't imagine Gordon Strachan thinking to himself that Riordan is the best finisher at the club but I think I'll just let him sit on the bench or play in the reserves just for the hell of it. Deek is the most talented player we've produced in my lifetime, but clearly there were other traits that stopped him from reaching the very top.

Itsnoteasy
05-09-2018, 01:32 PM
Feels like christie's heading that way . It's a crying shame that him and Allan just won't play much football this year.

It was their choice to sign for them for bigger bucks. They would have probably knew deep down that 1st team football would be limited.

So why all the fuss.

Hibernian32
05-09-2018, 02:44 PM
Not really in the same league as the likes of riordan ect but I feel our first graduates from east mains.
handling
galbraith
wotherspoon
stanton
harris
caldwell

We all raved about one of these players at some point and they have came to nothing. Infact I don’t think anyone has came through our youth team with promise and maintained it. Shaw? Well a lot has still to be seen. Cummings didn’t really come through system did he. Porteous is showing that potential.So I would say any youth player from Hanlon/Stevenson on wards has been a incredible failure

JimBHibees
05-09-2018, 02:45 PM
Not really in the same league as the likes of riordan ect but I feel our first graduates from east mains.
handling
galbraith
wotherspoon
stanton
harris
caldwell

We all raved about one of these players at some point and they have came to nothing. Infact I don’t think anyone has came through our youth team with promise and maintained it. Shaw? Well a lot has still to be seen. Cummings didn’t really come through system did he. So I would say any youth player from Hanlon/Stevenson on wards has been a incredible failure

Galbraith was from Man united was he not.

Hibernian32
05-09-2018, 02:48 PM
Galbraith was from Man united was he not.
May well could have been I’m just thinking of a couple youth players that have came to mind that we had a little promise for but ended up being a waste

RoslinInstHibby
05-09-2018, 03:14 PM
handling
galbraith
wotherspoon
stanton
harris
caldwell

We all raved about one of these players at some point and they have came to nothing. Infact I don’t think anyone has came through our youth team with promise and maintained it. Shaw? Well a lot has still to be seen. Cummings didn’t really come through system did he. Porteous is showing that potential.So I would say any youth player from Hanlon/Stevenson on wards has been a incredible failure

Wotherspoon has just has an international call up, had a solid career

Hibernian32
05-09-2018, 03:20 PM
Wotherspoon has just has an international call up, had a solid career
My point exactly id get a game for Canada, he burst on to the scene with us as a up and coming RB under Hughes we raved about him. He would never have a chance in a horrible Scotland team so opted for Canada. Hardly set the league alight very average player

CRAZYHIBBY
05-09-2018, 03:21 PM
Pa kujabi....dead ball expert

05-09-2018, 04:13 PM
handling
galbraith
wotherspoon
stanton
harris
caldwell

Caldwells attitude IMO let him down. Just broke into the team and looked like a decent young prospect, scored the winner at tynecastle and after that I just kind of felt that he thought he'd made it and should be in the starting 11 every week. Butcher admitidly did the boys confidence no favour by putting him on for about 2 minutes then taking him off at ICT, pretty humiliating but never the less I felt Caldwells attitude was quite poor. The goal at tynecastle should have giving him a confidence boost to kick on, work hard and prove that he can score goals like that regularly.

05-09-2018, 04:14 PM
Darren McCormack
Derek Riordan

Don't know how much talent was actually there with McCormack, I remember him being rotten.

hfc rd
05-09-2018, 04:37 PM
Kurtis Byrne - was an absolute goal machine in the double winning U19’s side back in 08/09 but couldn’t cut it in the 1st team.

In fact, not many players from that squad are still playing professionally. Can only think of Hanlon, Wotherspoon & Welsh.

CropleyWasGod
05-09-2018, 04:51 PM
Kurtis Byrne - was an absolute goal machine in the double winning U19’s side back in 08/09 but couldn’t cut it in the 1st team.

In fact, not many players from that squad are still playing professionally. Can only think of Hanlon, Wotherspoon & Welsh.You mean Booth? Hanlon wasn't in that team.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Peevemor
05-09-2018, 04:55 PM
Was this not the reason for replacing James McDonaugh at East Mains?

HoboHarry
05-09-2018, 05:25 PM
My point exactly id get a game for Canada, he burst on to the scene with us as a up and coming RB under Hughes we raved about him. He would never have a chance in a horrible Scotland team so opted for Canada. Hardly set the league alight very average player
What a load of bollocks. If you are good enough to play international football, who are you currently playing for?

Deansy
05-09-2018, 05:28 PM
Had this debate with a pal. But I would rather captain Celtic for 8+ years to countless trophies, double trebles, invincible season, big european nights at Parkhead. Than go and drift around Watford, West Brom, Palace.

There’s realistically only a few clubs in England I would pass all that up for. The obvious top 5/6 then maybe Everton but even then they have shocking seasons too.

Septic natuarally have better players due to the size of their support but they still benefit from a huge amount of 'mistakes/accidents/wrong-calls' etc in their favour, season-in and season-out - I've always argued that they don't as much win these trophies/trebles etc but more like they're 'given/awarded' them !. Imho that's why SJM went to Villa, putting career before easy-medals/money !

CRAZYHIBBY
05-09-2018, 05:39 PM

In fact, not many players from that squad are still playing professionally. Can only think of Hanlon, Wotherspoon & Welsh.

Was he not the one who got too big for his boots and had his dad chipping in saying he was wanted by celtic or sonething

Heisenberg
05-09-2018, 06:25 PM

“I’d get a game for Canada” is a belter. Like English folk saying them/their nan could score 500 goals in the Scottish Premiership.

Iggy Pope
05-09-2018, 06:55 PM

He's a decent pro making a good living out of playing football. Never seen you play but I reckon Paul Fenwick might pee all over you.
Do you have a Scottish Cup winners medal by the way, pro youth or senior level? I'd have been happy with either.

Iggy Pope
05-09-2018, 06:57 PM
You mean Booth? Hanlon wasn't in that team.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I think Hanlon was in that squad but graduated mid-season?

jacomo
05-09-2018, 09:55 PM
handling
galbraith
wotherspoon
stanton
harris
caldwell

Tbf most youth players don’t make it as pros. It’s nothing to be ashamed of, just shows how tough it is to make it.

Hibernian32
05-09-2018, 11:34 PM
He's a decent pro making a good living out of playing football. Never seen you play but I reckon Paul Fenwick might pee all over you.
Do you have a Scottish Cup winners medal by the way, pro youth or senior level? I'd have been happy with either.
I actually won the Scottish with tynecastle at under 15s and then the south east region with mussy Windsor, I was a wasted talent as I chose sex bevy & hibs instead, now I’ve my own little
hibee to make sure he doesn’t make the same mistakes as this “ wasted talent “ of a dad:na na:

Hibernian32
05-09-2018, 11:35 PM
“I’d get a game for Canada” is a belter. Like English folk saying them/their nan could score 500 goals in the Scottish Premiership.
It is a belter it’s also banter🤙🏻

Allant1981
06-09-2018, 08:02 AM
I actually won the Scottish with tynecastle at under 15s and then the south east region with mussy Windsor, I was a wasted talent as I chose sex bevy & hibs instead, now I’ve my own little
hibee to make sure he doesn’t make the same mistakes as this “ wasted talent “ of a dad:na na:

so not wasted talent, just not good enough?

BILLYHIBS
06-09-2018, 08:24 AM
Talent isn’t always enough. You have to have the right mind set attitude and focus Players that immediately spring to mind that fall into that category in the current squad are Stevenson and Hanlon.

I remember someone telling me that Gordon Hunter was not the best player at Wallyford Primary but even at that young age you could tell he had the proper attitude he was extremely quick over twenty yards was as hard as f*** and was totally focused and committed everyone knew he was going to make it in the senior game before the more talented players.

Iggy Pope
06-09-2018, 08:39 AM

Not quite the level I asked about then. :na na: Choosing 'sex' is an odd one as well. Didn't really see that as a career ending choice.

Bangkok Hibby
06-09-2018, 09:03 AM
Not quite the level I asked about then. :na na: Choosing 'sex' is an odd one as well. Didn't really see that as a career ending choice.

Girls and drink...two big reasons why promising youngsters drift away from the game. It's been very common over the years

eastmainsmsh
06-09-2018, 09:09 AM
The bp youth cup sides in the 90s had some cracking players

BILLYHIBS
06-09-2018, 09:54 PM

Still Scott Allan. :big grin: