PDA

View Full Version : NHC Hamburg

Cocaine&Caviar
03-09-2018, 02:46 PM
Afternoon all,

Myself and some friends are visiting Hamburg in late November.

St Pauli are away that weekend, but Hamburg are home to Union Berlin on the Sunday.

Does anyone have any experience of getting tickets, attending games and the city in general?

Thanks in Advance...

Iggy Pope
03-09-2018, 02:50 PM
Afternoon all,

St Pauli are away that weekend, but Hamburg are home to Union Berlin on the Sunday.

Does anyone have any experience of getting tickets, attending games and the city in general?

Thanks in Advance...

Oh dear. Bloody Huns you know!

Nakedmanoncrack
03-09-2018, 02:55 PM
Wouldn't go near their place wearing anything green, in fact just wouldn't go near the Huns of HSV.

H18 SFR
03-09-2018, 02:57 PM
St Pauli Hibee is the man on here for this job. Sorted me and the lads out last year.

Future17
03-09-2018, 02:57 PM
Afternoon all,

Thanks in Advance...

Just a note to be aware that at least two games (sometimes more) from each round of fixtures will likeky be moved to the Friday with a 1730 GMT kick off.

.Sean.
03-09-2018, 03:05 PM
I went last November to Hamburg Stuttgart. Hamburg pumped them 3-1 and the place was rocking.

A couple guys picked up on a Hibs pin badge on my scarf and they were totally sound with it. You’ll probably get the odd fanny but no worse than anywhere else in my experience and was nothing like a trip to Ibrox.

I thought Hamburg itself however was a total dive and wouldn’t rush back. Good weekend with the boys but can’t see myself returning.

lyonhibs
03-09-2018, 03:10 PM
Hamburg is a tad rough around the edges but a nice place - go on the Alster or for a stroll through the embassy district which is full of very posh places. Obviously Reeperbahn will drag you in but there's also a nice micro brewery down on the water and the hafen district has been tarted up now.

Hamburg games are a little bit out of town but easy to get to. Ignore this "Huns of Germany" stuff. When it comes to actually experiencing a game (I went to a game - a 3-2 victory as it happens - and yes, there was a couple of UJ and Hun sympathisers around the place but didn't feel in any remote danger or unwelcome) there's not a great deal in it.

DeLaGaff
03-09-2018, 03:16 PM
Afternoon all,

Thanks in Advance...

The stadium is impressive, as is the transport to the game - much like every other ground in Germany.
As one of the posters alluded to, you will see a few Rangers flags, and their colours are red, white and blue - but I've yet to see any hassle at a game in Germany, even with mixed seating.

Getting tickets to the game is simple, and my recommendation would be getting the tram to the match early and walk the mile or so to the ground rather than take the frequent shuttle buses. You can buy beer at the side of the road for a Euro or two, and drink it going up the main walkway - no hassle from doing this as there are people who collect the empties from you and get money back from recycling.

There are lots of good quality (and reasonably priced) eating and drinking booths at the ground for you to soak up the atmosphere pre-game.

If you check the fixtures, Bremen is only an hour away on the train (again the transport is cheap/reliable - notice the pattern...) and they practically play in Hibs strips, and play 500 miles when they score! Stadium isn't as big as Hamburg, but is as impressive as it sits right on the river - you can even get a boat to the ground if you're organised.
Bremen isn't near the scale of Hamburg when it comes to nightlife, but there are a few decent pubs I could point you in the direction of.

Everything about football in Germany is brilliant and you'll love it - let me know if you need any further pointers.

BILLYHIBS
03-09-2018, 03:53 PM
Wouldn't go near their place wearing anything green, in fact just wouldn't go near the Huns of HSV.
Didn’t stop their goalie wearing a green top against us in the old Fairs Cup leading to the ref disallowing two of our perfectly good goals for offside as he had seen a green jersey in an offside position ending up with us going out on away goals :confused:

Cocaine&Caviar
03-09-2018, 03:59 PM
Just a note to be aware that at least two games (sometimes more) from each round of fixtures will likeky be moved to the Friday with a 1730 GMT kick off.

They're in the 2nd division this year, assuming you were talking about for the Bundesliga?

Thanks,

Hillsidehibby
03-09-2018, 04:14 PM
Afternoon all,

Thanks in Advance...

Not sure about caviar but go to The Old Sailor and ask for Henry who will be happy to help.

BullsCloseHibs
03-09-2018, 04:48 PM
Afternoon all,

Thanks in Advance...

Pity you'll miss St Pauli. By far and away the better of the two teams in Hamburg and a real experience to visit their stadium. The fans are absolutely brilliant too.

Good luck with SV Hamburg (friends with Rangers.... Just saying).

Hamburg as a city is quality though. One of the best cities in Germany imo. Try to visit the Airbus factory over the River. Its a great day out. Reeperbhan is worth avoiding though. Its drab. Plenty other decent drinking areas in town!

Future17
03-09-2018, 08:08 PM
They're in the 2nd division this year, assuming you were talking about for the Bundesliga?

Thanks,

Yeah, it's the Bundesliga 2 games that get moved to Friday so worth keeping an eye on.

I presume it happens for German TV and Hamburg are obviously a big attraction since relegation.

Lancs Harp
03-09-2018, 08:21 PM
Yeah, it's the Bundesliga 2 games that get moved to Friday so worth keeping an eye on.

I presume it happens for German TV and Hamburg are obviously a big attraction since relegation.

They also have a Bundesliga 2 match live on tv on Monday nights too, Im watching Holstein Kiel v FC Magdeburg as I type :greengrin (2-1 to Kiel moving into the last minute)

Frazerbob
03-09-2018, 08:50 PM
Love Hamburg, one of the best cities in Europe for night out. Have only been to one Hamburg game which was great, apart from the Hun element. Tickets no bother to come by so should be even easier now they're down a division. They actually have a section (above the away fans) for visitors. We were there and it was hilarious.....5 or 6 stag groups from Scotland & England, all blootered having a right good rammy.

St Pauli Hibee
03-09-2018, 09:07 PM
Oh dear !!! where to start 😟😟. Now HSV tickets shouldn't be too hard to find outwith the derby against the big team in Hamburg (which I shall hopefully be at) 😉😉 they are getting a lot of Monday night games at the moment and with it being Bundesliga 2 most games kick off at 1.00pm or 1.30pm on Saturday and Sunday respectively with Friday night games usually at 6.30pm (All times are CET)

I would obviously recommend St Pauli before them but they do have a decent stadium. If you are right into your football then I would recommend checking out Altona 93 or Victoria Hamburg both play in the 5th division (Oberliga Hamburg) lovely little grounds with cracking clubhouses.

nickwhibs
03-09-2018, 09:19 PM
Afternoon all,

Thanks in Advance...

You should try going in the away end - Union are a great wee club with amazing fans (who built their own terracing!)

St Pauli Hibee
03-09-2018, 09:20 PM
Afternoon all,

Thanks in Advance...

Further to my last comment

HSV are located in Stellingen, this is around 15mins on the Ubahn from the Reeperbahn (Main Nightlife spot located in St Pauli) get off at Stellingen station then it is a 15min walk through a forest area until you see the stadium. Just a note that your Matchday ticket allows free transport to and from the game on Matchday.

Attending games is fantastic in Germany, I have been fortunate enough to make friends with people across in Hamburg and it is a fantastic day/night out. Tickets are cheap especially in the standing terraces (around £10-£12) you can drink beer while watching the game make new friends with the locals.

Hamburg as a city has a lot going for it on top of the nightlife there are various sightseeing things to do with a couple of examples being the Minitaur wunderland (biggest model set in Europe I believe) as well as various museums and art galleries.

Overall Hamburg is a great place to visit with endless things to do, safe to say you won't get bored. 👍👍

Basildon Hibs
03-09-2018, 10:58 PM
I'm off to Berlin tomorrow morning. My second visit. Great city to visit and I'll be visiting the Olympic stadium - home of Hertha Berlin. Will be getting an official stadium tour this time. Will try and find Union's stadium too. 😎

Winston Ingram
04-09-2018, 05:56 AM
Afternoon all,

Thanks in Advance...

I’ve been. Re tickets, I got them direct from the club. I called them, they all spoke great English and they posted them to me.

City is excellent. Dead easy to get around on their metro system. If ye fancy seeing some of the sites, a Hamburg City Card is worth getting. Gets you free use of the metro and big discounts on the sites.

Great City.

Cocaine&Caviar
04-09-2018, 04:22 PM
Thanks for all the replies so far, greatly appreciated.

madsen5
04-09-2018, 04:48 PM
Didn’t stop their goalie wearing a green top against us in the old Fairs Cup leading to the ref disallowing two of our perfectly good goals for offside as he had seen a green jersey in an offside position ending up with us going out on away goals :confused:

I remember that well , think it was just when the away gals rule started as well and the ref nearly played extra time.
Think the goalie was Turkish. Uve Seeler
Played as well . Did Joe Davis not score from a penalty?
Or is my memory going.

Keith_M
04-09-2018, 05:34 PM

Hamburg as a city is quality though. One of the best cities in Germany imo....!

Ehm, how many cities have you actually been to in Germany?

madsen5
04-09-2018, 05:38 PM
Ehm, how many cities have you actually been to in Germany?

I agree it's a great city and I've been
To Berlin Munich and Stuttgart .

Keith_M
04-09-2018, 05:45 PM
I agree it's a great city and I've been
To Berlin Munich and Stuttgart .

I'm sure it is, but the best city in Germany?

I suppose it's all a matter of opinion.

:wink:

St Pauli Hibee
04-09-2018, 05:47 PM
I actually prefer Nuremberg.

Hamburg is great but I prefer the south of the country & Nuremberg In my experience is a city with a small town feel which is right up my street

I have also been to Frankfurt, Munich & Furth

Aritch
04-09-2018, 05:51 PM

Hamburg is great but I prefer the south of the country & Nuremberg In my experience is a city with a small town feel which is right up my street

I took a German student of mine to the Runavik game so in return he gave me a scarf from his team, Nuremberg.

Unfortunately, due to the offensive maroon colour, I can’t bring myself to ever wear it.

madsen5
04-09-2018, 06:11 PM

:wink:hard to say .

St Pauli Hibee
04-09-2018, 06:17 PM
I took a German student of mine to the Runavik game so in return he gave me a scarf from his team, Nuremberg.

Unfortunately, due to the offensive maroon colour, I can’t bring myself to ever wear it.

Yes I know it is horrific, I went to their derby v Furth last season with some Furth supporting friends, Furth won 2-0

Always good to see a team in Green & White beat a team in Maroon !!!

Frazerbob
04-09-2018, 08:00 PM

:wink:

I’ve been to most German cities and Hamburg is without doubt the best for a few days on the batter, no question.

RossScott1991
04-09-2018, 10:53 PM
Went to Hamburg v Bayern Leverkusen last year. Great city, and the Hamburg fans were very nice bunch that I met in the supporters bar 5min walk from stadium. Very welcoming, hate the premier league and their money and had a real dislike for Bayern and Leipzig.

One of the guys we met gave my pal his limited edition season ticket scarf, not bad for the German rangers !

monktonharp
05-09-2018, 12:08 AM
Afternoon all,

Thanks in Advance...A Pity St Pauli are away that weekend. we were there a few months back (young team w/end stag) and we did have a good time.As soon as we stepped out of the taxi though, on the main front of the St Pauli area we were warned by the driver to keep our wallets in the front pocket:wink:and there were loads of guys sleeping rough still in their cardboard beds at 2pm.right next to the kerb! had a great time though and if I can remember the 2 best pubs we went to , I'll get back to you. St Pauli area, and they both had Celtic flags outside and inside the pubs but were great cheap boozers only a street away from the main drag. Loads of Jolly Roger flags everywhere in St Pauli too. (skull and crossbones).we went to the the "dark" side at Hamburg and had a few growling at us as we had the Hibs tops on, and it was the day we beat Celtic at ER. Their stadium is fantastic, so huge but not easy to get into. first time I have seen so many polis vans which looked as if they were some throwback to a riot in the Bogside in the 70's. Also, I had never ever seen parked bicycles outside a fitba ground but there were hunners o' them!

stuart-farquhar
05-09-2018, 03:31 AM

Nuremburg is great. The museum itself is worth going to see. I like Erfurt too (Ok not in the south.) But for posh Baden Baden takes some beating.

St Pauli Hibee
05-09-2018, 05:47 AM
Nuremburg is great. The museum itself is worth going to see. I like Erfurt too (Ok not in the south.) But for posh Baden Baden takes some beating.

Did you visit Rot-Weiss Erfurt while you were there, pity they are in the regional league now. Friend went to see their game against Berliner AK couple of weeks ago.

Hibrandenburg
05-09-2018, 09:19 AM
The German Rangers thing is really not a thing. I had the displeasure of watching Hamburg play Celtic a few years back and the Celtic fans were behaving like marauding huns, battering and breaking everything in sight. FFW a few years and Celtic come calling again so the Hamburg fans organise a display that they think will wind up Celtic fans. That's about all there is to it.

German fans don't do sectarianism, some clubs have a politically right or left leaning fan base but there's no Catholic/Protestant divide. Just another attempt by the Rantic to divide the world into something they can understand.

BullsCloseHibs
05-09-2018, 10:18 AM
The German Rangers thing is really not a thing. I had the displeasure of watching Hamburg play Celtic a few years back and the Celtic fans were behaving like marauding huns, battering and breaking everything in sight. FFW a few years and Celtic come calling again so the Hamburg fans organise a display that they think will wind up Celtic fans. That's about all there is to it.

German fans don't do sectarianism, some clubs have a politically right or left leaning fan base but there's no Catholic/Protestant divide. Just another attempt by the Rantic to divide the world into something they can understand.

Go check the words "Hamburg Rangers" on YouTube.

Frazerbob
05-09-2018, 11:29 AM

There were 3 or 4 Rangers supporters clubs flags at the game I attended and the Hamburg supporters bar just off the Reeperbahn has loads of Rangers puctures on the wall. It is a thing.

Keith_M
05-09-2018, 12:05 PM

Funnily enough, that's one that I often recommend to people visiting Germany. I think the place is just absolutely amazing, with an amazing castle on the hill (very Grim Fairy Tales).

There are also some amazing towns to visit, especially in the Harz area*, like Quedlinburg and Wernigerode, or the likes of Meissen in Saxony.

Actually, I should work for the German Tourist Board :greengrin

--------------------------

* sorry about that, but I didn't name the place :wink:

Keith_M
05-09-2018, 12:08 PM
I’ve been to most German cities and Hamburg is without doubt the best for a few days on the batter, no question.

Nah, that would be Dresden. They've got the best Bier in the World

https://www.mercurio-drinks.de/fileadmin/files/hersteller/R/radeberger-gruppe/170331_headline_zuordnung_2_.jpg

Since90+2
05-09-2018, 12:11 PM

I was in Hamburg when they played Dortmund a few years back and there was plenty of Rangers fans about , alot more than just a few lads going over for the weekend. It might be slightly overplayed but there is definitely a connection to some degree between the two supports.

I'm heading back in November as it was a good city , good party vibe but nowhere near as sleazy an atmosphere compared to somewhere like Amsterdam.

RyeSloan
05-09-2018, 12:15 PM
Tickets are available from the Club shop in the city centre...simply walk in and buy.

As others have said take the tram / overground train to the game and walk through the forest to the stadium.

Plenty food and drink avail outside and beers are supplied to you in your seat though vendors that walk up and down.

Alan62
05-09-2018, 12:38 PM
I'm off to Berlin tomorrow morning. My second visit. Great city to visit and I'll be visiting the Olympic stadium - home of Hertha Berlin. Will be getting an official stadium tour this time. Will try and find Union's stadium too. 😎

I visited Union Berlin's stadium last October and watched them beat Kaiserslautern 5-0. It's a smart little stadium, easy and cheap to get to on public transport and, yes, nice beer served in the ground. The home end behind the goals is mental. Non-stop singing and bouncing up and down.

Really enjoyed the trip and it's easy to get a ticket. I just bought online and printed at home.

norwayhibs
05-09-2018, 03:24 PM
Nah, that would be Dresden. They've got the best Bier in the World

https://www.mercurio-drinks.de/fileadmin/files/hersteller/R/radeberger-gruppe/170331_headline_zuordnung_2_.jpg

Nah, Keekaboo. That would be Dortmund, now they've got the best bier in the world.

Jumbo
05-09-2018, 04:39 PM
The Hamburg v Union game is now on the Monday evening, fixtures confirmed today

Cocaine&Caviar
05-09-2018, 06:32 PM
The Hamburg v Union game is now on the Monday evening, fixtures confirmed today

Bugger.

pacorosssco
05-09-2018, 06:44 PM
Nah, Keekaboo. That would be Dortmund, now they've got the best bier in the world.

I'd have to say Gaffel and Cologne is a Kolsh paradise. Hamburg is a great to enjoy yourself and Germany has many gems. Freiburg I loved

BILLYHIBS
05-09-2018, 06:47 PM
I remember that well , think it was just when the away gals rule started as well and the ref nearly played extra time.
Think the goalie was Turkish. Uve Seeler
Played as well . Did Joe Davis not score from a penalty?
Or is my memory going.
Joe McBride scored 2
Joe Davis missed a penalty a very rare occurrence
Joe also had another two wrongly disallowed
Uwe Seeler the wee auld bald fat barrel scored the goal that eliminated us.He was some player though oozed class!
Were you not playing that night John ? 😂

madsen5
05-09-2018, 07:46 PM
Joe McBride scored 2
Uwe Seeler the wee auld bald fat barrel scored the goal that eliminated us.He was some player though oozed class!

Thank for that I remember bits of the game
Was robbery.

Diclonius
05-09-2018, 07:56 PM
Would love to live in Hamburg for reasons unrelated to football, but don't think I could bring myself to support either of the teams given their affinity to either side of the OF. I'd support Werder Bremen, that'd piss both of them off. :aok:

Chuck Rhoades
05-09-2018, 08:21 PM
None of the above. Get to an Eintracht Frankfurt match. Good number of Hibs over multiple times back and forth each year.

https://m.facebook.com/edinburghadler/

https://preview.ibb.co/e0hkve/DE34_BC81_AD6_A_498_D_8911_90877196_D9_C5.png (https://ibb.co/cS6Cae)

https://preview.ibb.co/mORzxz/92_DDA4_AE_3640_4954_BF88_1_CF9_BD725_D7_E.jpg (https://ibb.co/fqvsHz)

Heedersnvolleys
05-09-2018, 09:05 PM
Was across last year, great stadium, fantastic atmosphere. The walk to the stadium from the station is something to experience. After seeing the fans behind their goal it gave me a bit more support for what the singing section are trying to achieve.

Hamburg won 3-2 so that helped but the fitbaw was pretty poor can see why they went down.

kaimendhibs
06-09-2018, 10:35 AM
If I was going I'd be in the Union end

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

St Pauli Hibee
06-09-2018, 03:37 PM
I have just booked to see two games in November & December

Greuther Furth V VFL Bochum (£11 Standing Terrace)
St Pauli V Dynamo Dresden (12.50 Standing Terrace)

Very much looking forward to the Pauli game for obvious reasons, it could be a fiery encounter !!!!

birdspotter
06-09-2018, 07:41 PM
I have just booked to see two games in November & December

Greuther Furth V VFL Bochum (£11 Standing Terrace)
St Pauli V Dynamo Dresden (12.50 Standing Terrace)

Very much looking forward to the Pauli game for obvious reasons, it could be a fiery encounter !!!!

My girlfriend and i are looking to take in a few games abroad and Germany is certainly an option. Can I ask where you booked your match tickets from?
Cheers

St Pauli Hibee
06-09-2018, 07:49 PM
My girlfriend and i are looking to take in a few games abroad and Germany is certainly an option. Can I ask where you booked your match tickets from?
Cheers

I have friends who are Greuther Fürth season ticket holders

St Pauli tickets are through the fanclub "Ost Schottland Broons" based in Edinburgh of which I am a part of. We actually watch all our games at Leith Depot ����

birdspotter
06-09-2018, 07:55 PM
I have friends who are Greuther Fürth season ticket holders

St Pauli tickets are through the fanclub "Ost Schottland Broons" based in Edinburgh of which I am a part of. We actually watch all our games at Leith Depot ����

Nice one, cheers for the info

pacorosssco
07-09-2018, 12:25 AM
Cheers

most have english pages on websites and tickets for sale or contact numbers.Bigger games are harder

Hibrandenburg
07-09-2018, 11:03 AM
Go check the words "Hamburg Rangers" on YouTube.

A tenuous link to say the least. I and a few others on here have Werder Bremen as their German team, I'd hardly claim that means we have a meaningful fan base affiliation.

Lancs Harp
08-09-2018, 08:05 AM
Talking of Hamburg and St Pauli, the derby match is on BTsport on Sunday Sept 30th 12.30 KO for those interested.

BullsCloseHibs
08-09-2018, 10:13 AM
A tenuous link to say the least. I and a few others on here have Werder Bremen as their German team, I'd hardly claim that means we have a meaningful fan base affiliation.

I'll be more specific, the Rangers hooligans and their Hamburg counterparts have a close affiliation. And it's not nice.

Ringothedog
09-09-2018, 08:22 AM
Joe McBride scored 2

That was my first ever European game, my dad trying to explain the away goals rule to an 8 year old 😂