PDA

View Full Version : Incentives to increase HSL take-up

Hibbyradge
03-09-2018, 11:41 AM
I know that HSL are reluctant to go down this road, but I believe incentivrs have to be considered, and professional research should be undertaken in advance to determine the right balance between take up and cost.

Discounts and other incentives will reduce the amount received, but if more people are contributing, the overall amount available to buy shares should increase. There would have to be a scientific approach to that though.

However, there must be some virtually cost free incentives the club could make available too.

Tours of ER and East Mains and some increased priority for tickets etc are obvious ideas, but surely we have enough creativity amongst our support to think outside the box.

A monthly raffle for a seat on the team bus to away games, or a seat in the directors box or even the bench. How often are match balls, players old boots, shirts etc replaced? What happens to them?

A chance to cut the grass on one of those sit on mowers, be the announcer for a match or choose the songs to be played. I don't know, anything that would create interest in the scheme and get folk talking about it would be great and virtually cost free.

Forza Fred
03-09-2018, 12:05 PM
I agree with the view that HSL would benefit from it being talked about more, but not necessarily by way of ‘incentives’.

I’m a long way away, so perhaps not exactly the ‘target audience’ but I think HSL’s launch was hampered by open sceptism and criticism at the time, and this, coupled with memories of previous ‘share issues’ simply meant that some people tuned out.

I also think the name does not exactly portray the vision of what it seeks to achieve.

Absolute respect to those involved and not a criticism, but a relaunch under a new moniker to me, would be the way to go.

lord bunberry
03-09-2018, 12:19 PM
I know that HSL are reluctant to go down this road, but I believe incentivrs have to be considered, and professional research should be undertaken in advance to determine the right balance between take up and cost.

Discounts and other incentives will reduce the amount received, but if more people are contributing, the overall amount available to buy shares should increase. There would have to be a scientific approach to that though.

However, there must be some virtually cost free incentives the club could make available too.

Tours of ER and East Mains and some increased priority for tickets etc are obvious ideas, but surely we have enough creativity amongst our support to think outside the box.

A monthly raffle for a seat on the team bus to away games, or a seat in the directors box or even the bench. How often are match balls, players old boots, shirts etc replaced? What happens to them?

A chance to cut the grass on one of those sit on mowers, be the announcer for a match or choose the songs to be played. I don't know, anything that would create interest in the scheme and get folk talking about it would be great and virtually cost free.
I agree, there’s loads of things they could offer that wouldn’t cost any money. Mascot packages, train with the team for a day, play on the pitch, a day with Lennon. They could also organise things like quiz nights and race nights that are only available to HSL members.

Hibbyradge
03-09-2018, 12:40 PM
I agree, there’s loads of things they could offer that wouldn’t cost any money. Mascot packages, train with the team for a day, play on the pitch, a day with Lennon. They could also organise things like quiz nights and race nights that are only available to HSL members.

Yeah, exactly.

I think most of the incentives should be for "active" accounts with only a few for members who were no longer contributing, but how exactly, would be for debate.

I wonder why none of this already happens.

Austinho
03-09-2018, 12:52 PM
Incentives are definitely the way to go. Hearts fans had the incentive of saving their club. Aberdeen fans have the incentive of a new stadium, but their scheme has a lot of promotions to encourage them to buy in to as well.

For Hibs fans, that incentive isn’t really there. We’ve waited patiently for years of watching all the club’s funds being spent on infrastructure for it to finally be spent on the team, yet we are now paying £1m for a new training pitch. There might be a lack of trust there potentially. So having a reason to donate because you get something out of it seems all the more important.

Free match programmes sent in the post, a subscription to Hibs TV, extra loyalty points, or something like that. Doesn’t have to be big.

lord bunberry
03-09-2018, 12:58 PM
Yeah, exactly.

I think most of the incentives should be for "active" accounts with only a few for members who were no longer contributing, but how exactly, would be for debate.

I wonder why none of this already happens.
I don’t know either, maybe they need more volunteers to help make these things happen. Maybe a monthly meeting in the stadium that’s open to everyone might be the way to go.

Austinho
03-09-2018, 01:00 PM
I don’t know either, maybe they need more volunteers to help make these things happen. Maybe a monthly meeting in the stadium that’s open to everyone might be the way to go.I’m astonished the club aren’t more involved. They should really be driving it - it’s free money for them after all.

hibbymac
03-09-2018, 01:06 PM
Incentives are definitely the way to go. Hearts fans had the incentive of saving their club. Aberdeen fans have the incentive of a new stadium, but their scheme has a lot of promotions to encourage them to buy in to as well.

For Hibs fans, that incentive isn’t really there. We’ve been told after years of watching all the club’s funds being spent on infrastructure that finally we’ll spend it on the team, yet are paying £1m for a new training pitch. There might be a lack of trust there potentially. So having a reason to donate because you get something out of it seems all the more important.

That's my thoughts on it, I appreciate the HSL official ( on here) has replied on another thread to say there are other factors to take into account, i.e. vat, administration cost etc.

As Hibbyradge states in his OP, do some "research" into it to see if it would be viable/profitable to do.

Taking Aberdeens incentives into account, for £18 pm you get 15% discount on season ticket, club shop purchases and more. Folk would be more inclined to go down this route of paying approx. £220 a year to save £100 in discounts.

lord bunberry
03-09-2018, 01:07 PM
I’m astonished the club aren’t more involved. They should really be driving it - it’s free money for them after all.
I think they wanted to see it as something that was separate from the club.

Austinho
03-09-2018, 01:11 PM
I think they wanted to see it as something that was separate from the club.Your comment is the moment the penny dropped for me - that is exactly where we are going wrong.

Hearts and Aberdeen’s respective schemes are inclusive and has everyone pulling in the same direction. HSL does feel like a separate entity, with a seperate agenda to the club. No wonder people are more hesitant to donate.

It needs an overhaul and a rebrand, as well as the incentives.

lord bunberry
03-09-2018, 01:17 PM
Your comment is the moment the penny dropped for me - that is exactly where we are going wrong.

Hearts and Aberdeen’s respective schemes are inclusive and has everyone pulling in the same direction. HSL does feel like a separate entity, with a seperate agenda to the club. No wonder people are more hesitant to donate.

I agree completely. The club should be promoting this.

Beefster
03-09-2018, 01:22 PM
I’m astonished the club aren’t more involved. They should really be driving it - it’s free money for them after all.

It’s not really free money. HSL gives the club money, the club gives HSL shares.

Saying that, I agree it would be more effective with the club actually running it.

Austinho
03-09-2018, 01:30 PM
It’s not really free money. HSL gives the club money, the club gives HSL shares.

Saying that, I agree it would be more effective with the club actually running it.So presumably the club are quite hesitant to support and drive HSL then? Existing shareholders at the club protecting their position?

CropleyWasGod
03-09-2018, 01:33 PM
So presumably the club are quite hesitant to support and drive HSL then? Existing shareholders at the club protecting their position?Not in the slightest. It is the major shareholder who set up the idea in the first place, to his own detriment.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Austinho
03-09-2018, 01:48 PM
Not in the slightest. It is the major shareholder who set up the idea in the first place, to his own detriment.

Sent from my SM-A520F using TapatalkAll the more surprising the lack of push from the club then.

I'm Spartacus
03-09-2018, 02:31 PM
Wait until the the "We cannie do that as THEY do it" brigade arrive.

We should have been doing this years ago

Match mascot experiences
Match balls
Signed programmes
Free half time refreshments
Stadium tours
Team bus seats

All costs nothing but stage it in a way we get a decent return but the fans who contribute the most get personal experiences, hardly rocket science.

lyonhibs
03-09-2018, 03:28 PM
Seems like a complete no brainer to me. The - IMO - undoubted increase in paying members would more than offset any slight hits the club took in other departments as a result of discounts etc.

Also makes the entire enterprise much more marketable, and effective marketing has been decidedly thin of the ground for HSL.

stoneyburn hibs
03-09-2018, 03:45 PM

Agree. They could also do with having a higher profile to make every fan aware of them.

tynehibs
03-09-2018, 03:48 PM
Wait until the the "We cannie do that as THEY do it" brigade arrive.

We should have been doing this years ago

Match mascot experiences
Match balls
Signed programmes
Free half time refreshments
Stadium tours
Team bus seats

All costs nothing but stage it in a way we get a decent return but the fans who contribute the most get personal experiences, hardly rocket science.

Locked in the cludgie with Craig watching the game live on the telly . What price ?

Ozyhibby
03-09-2018, 04:17 PM
We don’t need to re-invent the wheel here. This is how the yams keep their subscribers.

https://www.foundationofhearts.org/about-the-fan-rewards-scheme/

No doubt get a couple of comments about why should we copy them or why am I posting links to them here. I don’t care. That is a system that works.
Footy fans love ways of showing their loyalty and than allows their fans ways of showing how much of an Uber fan they are. And it costs next to nothing.
If we want something as successful as them then let’s make sure we learn what it is they are doing in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scotty Leither
03-09-2018, 04:20 PM
I think HSL suffers mainly because the club aren't (as far as my limited knowledge of share issues/holdings/rights issues etc goes)in any danger of hostile takeovers anymore by carpet baggers like Mercer & Rowland, or fantasists like Romanov and Di Stefano at Dundee...

As such the whole thing lacks a bit of punch and direction to me, there's no real "compulsion" for the fans to really get on board in big numbers, and there's probably a whole host of legalese that limits the Board/club getting more involved too. (Another reason why stocks and shares bores me.)

Take up of such a scheme will be patchy for these and I daresay loads of other individual reasons, and I speak as a HSL contributor.

Where the Jambos have fell lucky (as usual) is their marketing ploy was simple: cough up cash or the club dies - and it's obvious that those that committed (including one of two of my maroon baboon mates) don't miss the £20/30 a month they put in.

As an alternative or an accompaniment, I'd like to have seen the club really drive the season ticket sales up another notch by launching a membership scheme, tying it in with a better matchday experience to replace the BTG, such as erecting a marquee at the East stand with a licence, hiring some bands to play and generate a bit of atmosphere pre game, and brings the punters along earlier and more revenue comes in the door.

They could also have some sort of "matched giving" scheme with the season tickets, where for every 1000 full price seasons we sell, the club will match that with £20k so if we sell 10k full price briefs, then there's an extra £200k for the manager, and so on.

That kind of leveraging helps defray the incentive financially too, so the outlay for the club isn't as big - slightly more risky, but not a massive punt, and this is areas that I feel the club really missed a trick, and makes me and others level the "over cautious" charge at them.

In summary as interested onlooker, I just feel the HSL thing has a whiff of "there's the scheme, we really hope you like it" feel to it, and I personally feel it lacks for that special something that stops it being more successful than it might ordinarily be or become.

Sorry for long rambling post...

OfficialHSL
03-09-2018, 04:51 PM

Hibbyradge

Thank you very much for starting this thread, it is very timely as we are meeting Leeann later this week to discuss this.

Can we first of all confirm that we are not against incentives per se. You may recall that a couple of years ago we had brief flirtation with an incentive ( loyalty points ) and it is fair to say that this caused problems for the Club that was way out of proportion in relation to the subject matter and as a result this has not been an easy issue to progress with the Club.

We hope however that now that things are a little more settled that the wider supporter group will look at things a little more differently. As you say they don't have to be hugely expensive and one would hope that they are seen for what they are, a thank you.

Other Clubs use these extensively and it doesn't seem to cause them too much difficulty.

HSL

HFCdeb
03-09-2018, 05:03 PM
Hibbyradge

Thank you very much for starting this thread, it is very timely as we are meeting Leeann later this week to discuss this.

Can we first of all confirm that we are not against incentives per se. You may recall that a couple of years ago we had brief flirtation with an incentive ( loyalty points ) and it is fair to say that this caused problems for the Club that was way out of proportion in relation to the subject matter and as a result this has not been an easy issue to progress with the Club.

We hope however that now that things are a little more settled that the wider supporter group will look at things a little more differently. As you say they don't have to be hugely expensive and one would hope that they are seen for what they are, a thank you.

Other Clubs use these extensively and it doesn't seem to cause them too much difficulty.

HSL

Completely unrelated to this thread or post; but can someone please respond to one of the three emails I sent over the weekend regarding my subscription? Thanks in advance.

OfficialHSL
03-09-2018, 05:52 PM
Completely unrelated to this thread or post; but can someone please respond to one of the three emails I sent over the weekend regarding my subscription? Thanks in advance.

We don't have three emails from anyone over the weekend. Perhaps you would be kind enough to send us a pm and we can look into this ?

HSL

FitbaFolkKen
03-09-2018, 05:54 PM

I think we need to look outside of the club for benefits.

For example I run a company and would be happy to offer discounts/gift cards to HSL members. Many other companies would be happy to do the same as if you take employee benefits a lot of the time you find you have to pay to be part of the benefit scheme. This gives a captive market of a couple of thousand already.

I can totally understand people not being able to justify an extra 20 quid a month on top of the season ticket, strip etc... However if that twenty quid a month also allows you to take the kids bowling, trampolining, escape rooms, out for a film once every couple of months then that offers far more justification.

I know it should just be about helping the club but if we can make it beneficial for both parties then that is a win win.

Since90+2
03-09-2018, 06:04 PM
The easiest and simplest way of getting fans aware of HSL would be to print flyers and put them on every seat at ER for a game. I'm not sure of the cost to print 16,000 odd flyers but it would make every fan who attends aware of he scheme and it could have a simple signup with something like a "Text 1875" for example for more information.

ancient hibee
03-09-2018, 06:04 PM
I think HSL suffers mainly because the club aren't (as far as my limited knowledge of share issues/holdings/rights issues etc goes)in any danger of hostile takeovers anymore by carpet baggers like Mercer & Rowland, or fantasists like Romanov and Di Stefano at Dundee...

As such the whole thing lacks a bit of punch and direction to me, there's no real "compulsion" for the fans to really get on board in big numbers, and there's probably a whole host of legalese that limits the Board/club getting more involved too. (Another reason why stocks and shares bores me.)

Take up of such a scheme will be patchy for these and I daresay loads of other individual reasons, and I speak as a HSL contributor.

Where the Jambos have fell lucky (as usual) is their marketing ploy was simple: cough up cash or the club dies - and it's obvious that those that committed (including one of two of my maroon baboon mates) don't miss the £20/30 a month they put in.

As an alternative or an accompaniment, I'd like to have seen the club really drive the season ticket sales up another notch by launching a membership scheme, tying it in with a better matchday experience to replace the BTG, such as erecting a marquee at the East stand with a licence, hiring some bands to play and generate a bit of atmosphere pre game, and brings the punters along earlier and more revenue comes in the door.

They could also have some sort of "matched giving" scheme with the season tickets, where for every 1000 full price seasons we sell, the club will match that with £20k so if we sell 10k full price briefs, then there's an extra £200k for the manager, and so on.

That kind of leveraging helps defray the incentive financially too, so the outlay for the club isn't as big - slightly more risky, but not a massive punt, and this is areas that I feel the club really missed a trick, and makes me and others level the "over cautious" charge at them.

In summary as interested onlooker, I just feel the HSL thing has a whiff of "there's the scheme, we really hope you like it" feel to it, and I personally feel it lacks for that special something that stops it being more successful than it might ordinarily be or become.

Sorry for long rambling post...

Some form of membership scheme would be a good idea.

I don't understand what you're getting at with matching the season tickets "we sell"?Who is the we?At the moment all season ticket money goes into the football department.

OfficialHSL
03-09-2018, 06:05 PM
That's my thoughts on it, I appreciate the HSL official ( on here) has replied on another thread to say there are other factors to take into account, i.e. vat, administration cost etc.

As Hibbyradge states in his OP, do some "research" into it to see if it would be viable/profitable to do.

Taking Aberdeens incentives into account, for £18 pm you get 15% discount on season ticket, club shop purchases and more. Folk would be more inclined to go down this route of paying approx. £220 a year to save £100 in discounts.

Hibbymac

As we have said on another thread, we are not against many of the things that have been referred to so do not think for one moment that we have not thought about this. It is not just up to us however and we do have to be mindful of all stakeholders. Rest assured we are open to try anything that attracts more money to our team.

We suspect that things have moved on a little since the "loyalty points" issue and people will be much more willing to accept incentives being offered now that they see them working successfully elsewhere.

Keep the ideas coming.

HSL

Lago
03-09-2018, 06:06 PM
Your comment is the moment the penny dropped for me - that is exactly where we are going wrong.

Totally totally agree, had a look at both the Aberdeen & Hearts offering, thats the big difference inclusion, HSL comes across as some after thought.
Rebrand & relaunch copying best bits of Aberdeen & Hearts schemes, don't be proud.

Since90+2
03-09-2018, 06:08 PM
Totally totally agree, had a look at both the Aberdeen & Hearts offering, thats the big difference inclusion, HSL comes across as some after thought.
Rebrand & relaunch copying best bits of Aberdeen & Hearts schemes, don't be proud.

I think the name could do with a rebrand. Hibernian Supporters Limited sounds very corporate and something like Forever Green ect might make it more symbolic and attract people to be part of it.

hibbymac
03-09-2018, 06:15 PM
Hibbymac

As we have said on another thread, we are not against many of the things that have been referred to so do not think for one moment that we have not thought about this. It is not just up to us however and we do have to be mindful of all stakeholders. Rest assured we are open to try anything that attracts more money to our team.

We suspect that things have moved on a little since the "loyalty points" issue and people will be much more willing to accept incentives being offered now that they see them working successfully elsewhere.

Keep the ideas coming.

HSL

I haven't stated that HSL are "against many of the things that have been referred to", .. I merely highlighted what you said in another post about other things to be considered when introducing incentives.

Anyhoo, keep up the good work.

Hibbyradge
03-09-2018, 06:15 PM

For example I run a company and would be happy to offer discounts/gift cards to HSL members. Many other companies would be happy to do the same as if you take employee benefits a lot of the time you find you have to pay to be part of the benefit scheme. This gives a captive market of a couple of thousand already.

I can totally understand people not being able to justify an extra 20 quid a month on top of the season ticket, strip etc... However if that twenty quid a month also allows you to take the kids bowling, trampolining, escape rooms, out for a film once every couple of months then that offers far more justification.

I know it should just be about helping the club but if we can make it beneficial for both parties then that is a win win.

Good idea.

Hibbyradge
03-09-2018, 06:17 PM
I think the name could do with a rebrand. Hibernian Supporters Limited sounds very corporate and something like Forever Green ect might make it more symbolic and attract people to be part of it.

That's worth considering too.

eastcoasthibby
03-09-2018, 06:36 PM

I think this type of idea /offer is a really good potential incentive which is exactly the way we should be looking at expanding the attractiveness of HSL.
I am not sure how HSL operates in respect of developing ideas/offers/suggestions ie who makes the decisions as to introducing incentive schemes, marketing HSL, etc. Is there the scope hold meetings/workshops/think tanks, where all the ideas, thinking, etc, etc are put out there for discussion and consideration.
I am no expert and not having a go at anyone involved with HSL, but form what is being communicated on this thread and in conversations, it feels like what is being said we arent reaching the full potential of the scheme and that there is a desire and belief that there are realistic ways to do this and enhance contribution levels.
Suppose my real question is how does HSL engage with what people have as ideas, suggestions and offers, to extend the value that the scheme can provides to the club.

FitbaFolkKen
03-09-2018, 06:38 PM
I think this type of idea /offer is a really good potential incentive which is exactly the way we should be looking at expanding the attractiveness of HSL.
I am not sure how HSL operates in respect of developing ideas/offers/suggestions ie who makes the decisions as to introducing incentive schemes, marketing HSL, etc. Is there the scope hold meetings/workshops/think tanks, where all the ideas, thinking, etc, etc are put out there for discussion and consideration.
I am no expert and not having a go at anyone involved with HSL, but form what is being communicated on this thread and in conversations, it feels like what is being said we arent reaching the full potential of the scheme and that there is a desire and belief that there are realistic ways to do this and enhance contribution levels.
Suppose my real question is how does HSL engage with what people have as ideas, suggestions and offers, to extend the value that the scheme can provides to the club.

It isn't really something that I have considered but if there was scope to do something along these lines I, and I'm sure many others, would be happy to contribute.

OfficialHSL
03-09-2018, 06:46 PM
I haven't stated that HSL are "against many of the things that have been referred to", .. I merely highlighted what you said in another post about other things to be considered when introducing incentives.

Anyhoo, keep up the good work.

Hibbymac

The comment was not directed at you. We are absolutely delighted that so many people are showing an interest and putting forward so many ideas, it gives us plenty to chat to the Club about. The point we were trying to make was simply that we did not want anyone to feel that we are closed to any ideas. Circumstances in the past have prevented us from progressing many of these things but hopefully we can move these things forward now.

HSL

Hibbyradge
03-09-2018, 06:49 PM
It isn't really something that I have considered but if there was scope to do something along these lines I, and I'm sure many others, would be happy to contribute.

I've retired very early so I've got time to spare and I'd happily get involved with HSL, but my location probably precludes it.

However, there must be people who would put their shoulder to the grindstone on behalf of the scheme.

It does seem to lack impetus and direction, but I don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

FitbaFolkKen
03-09-2018, 07:00 PM
I've retired very early so I've got time to spare and I'd happily get involved with HSL, but my location probably precludes it.

However, there must be people who would put their shoulder to the grindstone on behalf of the scheme.

It does seem to lack impetus and direction, but I don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

I'm trying to retire early so have no time ;)

There are a lot of great people involved in HSL so I'm sure a lot of these ideas have been considered and not implemented for one reason or another. However doesn't mean that revisiting through a think tank or other similar ideas wouldn't be worthwhile.

Beefster
03-09-2018, 07:49 PM

I’m not so sure I agree with that.

IMHO it needs to be things relevant to the club and stuff you can’t get anywhere else. Discounts and freebies for cinema, meals etc are ten-a-penny and available for free in plenty of places. As you mention yourself, a lot of this type of thing is available to lots of us as employee perks.

The type of reward Hearts are offering (names on a strip, clubs with Hearts-related experiences and trinkets) seems like the sort of thing that you can’t get elsewhere. I think it would get lots more folk donating.

FitbaFolkKen
03-09-2018, 07:53 PM
I’m not so sure I agree with that.

IMHO it needs to be things relevant to the club and stuff you can’t get anywhere else. Discounts and freebies for cinema, meals etc are ten-a-penny and available for free in plenty of places. As you mention yourself, a lot of this type of thing is available to lots of us as employee perks.

The type of reward Hearts are offering (names on a strip, clubs with lHearts-related experiences and trinkets) seems like the sort of thing that you can’t get elsewhere. I think it would get lots more folk donating.

Quite possibly, no reason we can’t do both. I know fine well that it would be much easier to justify to my wife if there is something beneficial in it for the family as a whole. Unfortunately my girls are not Hibs daft despite my best attempts!

It is like anything different things will drive different people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMac1988
03-09-2018, 08:29 PM
I agree somewhat with the rebranding and also the incentives with AberDNA being something I'd sign up to in a heartbeat if it was offered by the Club/HSL. Of course I touched on the incentives thing on the other thread so thanks for replying HSL.

Is it possible we're losing out with HSL mainly being a route to fan ownership? It seems to me that there are many who are on the fence and may just prefer to pay a donation to the club foregoing any shares in HSL. I believe this is possible but more promotion and incentives may be enough to get these guys on board.

I don't want to over complicate or make things convuluted but how about a rebrand with two subscription paths.

Keep the HSL naming scheme to an extent but make it have a shares subscription as you already have that provides you shares in HSL and have another oath named forever green that gives you various financial incentives such as season ticket discounts, club store vouchers, HibsTV subscription discounts etc. Run raffles that can be won by members on each path etc.

This allows those interested in fan ownership to continue signing up as they do now with a few more incentives but equally allows those with no interest in shares and such the ability to make donations in the same vain as FoH and AberDNA with various benefits that ultimately end up with the club receiving more income even with the loss incurred by the savings on the incentives.

Someone more clued up could point out any major issues such as tax kmplications for offering financial incentives in return for donations. Hopefully this makes some sense as I feel we're missing out on a massive opportunity to generate more income for the club.

From a personal point of view as said I'd sign up to AberDNA right now if Hibs offered the incentives that they do. With a small saving in season ticket costs, HibsTV costs and merchandise in the store, I'd ultimately make a good saving but would still be giving an additional £100 - £200 (maths from my a**) a year to the club over and above what I do now. Also whilst I've always toyed with the idea of having shares in Hibs I'd prefer to do so by buying directly from the club.

Sorry if this is a little sporadic in terms of structure but spitballing a but whilst on my phone.