PDA

View Full Version : Time wasting.

staunchhibby
02-09-2018, 06:02 PM
I think it is about time the SFA looked at imposing a time limit for substituitions to take place.It is frustrating to watch players go on a go slow when being substituted.Perhaps if there was time limit on this and if not adhered to a yellow card should be given

wookie70
02-09-2018, 06:12 PM
I wish ours had been a bit slower yesterday. We might have got a point

Partyraiser
02-09-2018, 06:13 PM
I think it is about time the SFA looked at imposing a time limit for substituitions to take place.It is frustrating to watch players go on a go slow when being substituted.Perhaps if there was time limit on this and if not adhered to a yellow card should be given

I'd introduce a rule that if you're not off in 30 seconds the player coming on gets booked. That would sort it out instantly

speedy_gonzales
02-09-2018, 06:17 PM
I'd introduce a rule that if you're not off in 30 seconds the player coming on gets booked. That would sort it out instantly
Maybe not book the oncoming player, but forfeit the substitution?

Keith_M
02-09-2018, 06:17 PM

Nah, it's absolutely necessary to walk at a snails pace, shake the hand of every one of your team mates and even tie your laces on the way off.

Or is that just if you play for Hearts and are still drawing 0-0 at Easter Road?

Lancs Harp
02-09-2018, 06:18 PM

Unless we're 1 up at Ibrox, Parkhead or tinycastle. :wink:

where'stheslope
02-09-2018, 06:19 PM

In the Celtic V Rangers game, when Rogic was subbied, you could see Collum saying to him to jog off.
He then ran 2 paces and walked the rest????
Unfortunately it happens all the time, every team does it, but it hurts more when your team is down and running out of time!!!!

Eyrie
02-09-2018, 06:22 PM
Simple solution is to stop the clock as happens in other sports, which is why football won't do that.

Remember the outcry when it was suggested last season that a football game be changed from ninety minutes from start to finish, to be sixty minutes of actual play? And that was despite the average length of time the ball is in play being just under 60 minutes.

Viva_Palmeiras
02-09-2018, 06:29 PM
Why can’t the approach adopted by rugby be taken up? No stopping of the game just swapparama?

Onion
02-09-2018, 06:49 PM

Too lenient. Ref should start his watch and stop it once the player is off the field. He then plays on, and only after the elapsed time does he allow the substitute to come on (as he might with an injured player after treatment). THAT will get the little buggers scampering off the field quick enough !

Carheenlea
02-09-2018, 07:54 PM
We got 5 minutes added time yesterday, and I think Livingston’s time wasting after going 2-1 up contributed to an extra couple of minutes. Something that referees/4th officials should be encouraged to do more.

Shrekko
02-09-2018, 08:27 PM
We got 5 minutes added time yesterday, and I think Livingston’s time wasting after going 2-1 up contributed to an extra couple of minutes. Something that referees/4th officials should be encouraged to do more.

Yesterday was an exception -time wasting definitely ‘pays’ more often than not... a faked injury can kill 2/3 minutes on its own but rarely do you get more than 3/4 minutes even with 5/6 subs which are mean to be an automatic 30secs added.

There was loads of stoppages v Aberdeen and we got 4 minutes extra which should have included 3 for subs alone.

Stop clock is what the game needs for consistency.

Greenbeard
02-09-2018, 09:32 PM
Call it what you like - game management, gamesmanship, being streetwise, whatever, but it is basically cheating, which let's be honest is rife. EG the Aberdeen sending off - correct IMO 'cos he cheated by having a tug at the Killie boy's shirt, but also cheating was the theatrical way the Killie boy went to ground, all because of a wee tug on his jersey? F*** off. I'd have red carded him too.
Stopping the clock a la rugby would be a step in the right direction for starters.

I'm Spartacus
02-09-2018, 09:37 PM
Hahaha no way!! We get beat and this is an issue?? We’ve been in hundreds of situations where we’ve done the exact same, 1 goal up v Hearts Celtic Rangers and I want us to do the exactly the same. That’s football.

Fife-Hibee
02-09-2018, 10:05 PM
Perhaps rules should be changed. However, as it currently stands. Teams time waste and it helps them to gain valuable points throughout the season. Perhaps we should take a leaf out of their book and start doing the same thing better than we have been doing.

Greenbeard
03-09-2018, 08:22 AM
Perhaps rules should be changed. However, as it currently stands. Teams time waste and it helps them to gain valuable points throughout the season. Perhaps we should take a leaf out of their book and start doing the same thing better than we have been doing.
They cheat so we have to cheat better i.e. a competition to see who cheats best?
Mind, that is what we have already in the game worldwide.
And some would say the refs do it best!

NorthNorfolkHFC
03-09-2018, 09:00 AM
Just tell them to exit the pitch anywhere. Means they don’t have a long walk back to bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bangkok Hibby
03-09-2018, 09:00 AM
The beautiful game is being destroyed by cheating. Lot's of things can be introduced to stop it but one of the simplest things for me would be to introduce a sin bin. Anything worthy of a yellow card, bad fouls, diving, etc and you're off for ten minutes. Immediate punishment much more effective than a ban after 5 yellows for example.

The Green Goblin
03-09-2018, 09:03 AM
Simple solution is to stop the clock as happens in other sports, which is why football won't do that.

Remember the outcry when it was suggested last season that a football game be changed from ninety minutes from start to finish, to be sixty minutes of actual play? And that was despite the average length of time the ball is in play being just under 60 minutes.

Totally. The hysteria in games over time-wasting is one of the stupidest things of all. One way would be to stop the clock. If time “wasted” (injuries, substitutions, goal kicks etc.) was properly recorded by somebody, it could be added on at the end. Technically the ref can already do that, but they rarely seem to do it properly. I understand that time-wasting during a game can disrupt momentum if the opposition are on top, so a warning or yellow card is fair play in that case, but if time wasted can just be added on at the end of the game, and refs have the power to do it, why don’t they do it accurately? And why do they get so annoyed about it?

Fife-Hibee
03-09-2018, 10:57 AM
They cheat so we have to cheat better i.e. a competition to see who cheats best?
Mind, that is what we have already in the game worldwide.
And some would say the refs do it best!

Except it's not cheating. There is no specific time limit for a player coming of the park. There's no rules for holding the ball up at the corner flag, or goalkeepers keeping the ball down at their feet for as long as possible during open play. There are no rules against any of these things. Yes, you can argue about what the ref "should" do in certain time wasting situations. But if you're savvy enough as a team, you'll waste enough time while managing to avoid punishment. So it's not really cheating per se.

macca70
03-09-2018, 10:44 PM
Simple, just don’t stop the game.

There’s a 4th official that can ensure 1 on 1 off.

You’d soon see players move there backsides to get off or it might just mean the player goes down pretending to be injured.

I do think football needs to adopt the stop the clock method like rugby though rather than added minutes. They never seem to add on what they should.