PDA

View Full Version : Referees and retrospective punishment

SirDavidsNapper
02-09-2018, 05:38 PM
I've always found the moaning about refereeing a bit tedious but this season has really opened my eyes and we're only four games in.

So far we've had Morelos deserved red card for kicking out downgraded to a yellow, Naismith stamp ignored, McGregors elbow dive ignored and now the same players kick will probably be ignored. What the hell is going on?

Callum_62
02-09-2018, 05:39 PM
I've always found the moaning about refereeing a bit tedious but this season has really opened my eyes and we're only four games in.

So far we've had Morelos deserved red card for kicking out downgraded to a yellow, Naismith stamp ignored, McGregors elbow dive ignored and now the same players kick will probably be ignored. What the hell is going on?

Surely McGregors kick out today will see a ban

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SirDavidsNapper
02-09-2018, 05:42 PM
Surely McGregors kick out today will see a ban

It should but i think the standards have been set with Morelos

Sir David Gray
02-09-2018, 05:43 PM
Arnaud Djoum also only got a yellow card for a potential leg breaker yesterday thanks to the one and only Kevin Clancy.

SirDavidsNapper
02-09-2018, 05:54 PM
Add the Killie players red standing despite it not even being a yellow

we are hibs
02-09-2018, 05:56 PM
The standard of refereeing in this country is an embarrassment. There isn't a single one who i would feel comfortable refereeing a hibs game. I honestly think it's been as bad as I have ever seen since we got back uo

staunchhibby
02-09-2018, 05:57 PM
Given what has happened in the past i am not certain the compliance officer is real.Probably a mythical figure with a name plate in an empty rooms:confused:

where'stheslope
02-09-2018, 06:31 PM
Serious question!!!
Was having a look over on keekback, and they were discussing some of the challenges on Ouchie, 1 of the pictures shows the St Mirren player has him in a headlock, and the referee gave the foul against Ouchie?
Just goes to show, it is happening to all teams, but if the refs are strong, some games would have to be abandoned!!!
Today's Glasgow Derby could easily had 3 or 4 players shown red, but then what does that do to the game?????

BlackSheep
02-09-2018, 07:25 PM
Serious question!!!
Was having a look over on keekback, and they were discussing some of the challenges on Ouchie, 1 of the pictures shows the St Mirren player has him in a headlock, and the referee gave the foul against Ouchie?
Just goes to show, it is happening to all teams, but if the refs are strong, some games would have to be abandoned!!!
Today's Glasgow Derby could easily had 3 or 4 players shown red, but then what does that do to the game?????

If players are correctly booked and/or sent off then that’s fair....! It’s the poor refereeing that has gotten us into such a position that players feel they can get away with rash challenges unpunished, if every decision was correctly dealt with then we would likely see less occasion to call these incidents into question. Now nobody is perfect but our officials are far from it... not even in the vicinity to calling a game as close to how it has run.

Lendo
02-09-2018, 07:30 PM
You just need to look at the farce that took place at Firhill yesterday with their disallowed goal. Sums up Scottish referees.

ancient hibee
02-09-2018, 07:31 PM
It’s worrying when you see Collum dishing out cards for nothing but not even seeing things which would justify a red.

Chic Murray
03-09-2018, 11:05 AM
Judging by what McGregor has been up to the last couple of weeks, he thinks he's still playing for Oldco.

Better wind his neck in.

SirDavidsNapper
04-09-2018, 12:11 PM

And there you have it. We're a laughing stock

jgl07
04-09-2018, 12:20 PM
You fail to understand the 'bigger picture'. Scotland needs a successful Rangers (like a hole in the head!)

Seveno
04-09-2018, 12:24 PM
Referees are sponsored by Specsavers but clearly do not use their services. Now it seems that the Compliance Officer has a wonky tv.

Fife-Hibee
04-09-2018, 12:26 PM
Judging by what McGregor has been up to the last couple of weeks, he thinks he's still playing for Oldco.

Better wind his neck in.

It would seem that the compliance officer still thinks he plays for Oldco as well. They'll be no winding of the neck, unless he's winding somebody elses neck.

bawheid
04-09-2018, 12:28 PM
One of the guys on Sportsound - think it's Darryl Broadfoot - keeps banging on about how the FIFA / UEFA guidance has changed this year and that's why these huns keep being let off with battering folk. Not sure how true this is.

Biggie
04-09-2018, 12:30 PM
Arnaud Djoum also only got a yellow card for a potential leg breaker yesterday thanks to the one and only Kevin Clancy.

Aye that was a beauty....they get players incorrectly sent off against them, then don't get their own players correctly dismissed.
****ing annoying

ancient hibee
04-09-2018, 12:31 PM
It would seem that the compliance officer still thinks he plays for Oldco as well. They'll be no winding of the neck, unless he's winding somebody elses neck.
All the compliance offer does is refer it to the panel and then the panel decides(unanimously).

Biggie
04-09-2018, 12:39 PM
All the compliance offer does is refer it to the panel and then the panel decides(unanimously).

There's the problem, the panels made up of John Grieg, Alex Macdonald and Barry Ferguson :greengrin

Kato
04-09-2018, 12:50 PM
One of the guys on Sportsound - think it's Darryl Broadfoot - keeps banging on about how the FIFA / UEFA guidance has changed this year and that's why these huns keep being let off with battering folk. Not sure how true this is.

"Guidance". So they've changed the rules on violent conduct, unsportsamanlike conduct, retaliation and kicking opponents off the ball. Kept that under radar.

delbert
04-09-2018, 01:54 PM

The new compliance officer is a she and judging by today’s ruling, I think it’s Her Majesty herself !!!

Billy Whizz
04-09-2018, 01:56 PM
"Guidance". So they've changed the rules on violent conduct, unsportsamanlike conduct, retaliation and kicking opponents off the ball. Kept that under radar.

Think they have, but no one has told the fans

Brightside
04-09-2018, 01:59 PM
Ryan Jack saying in the press that a ref should be demoted..... any other sport he'd get a long ban for that. Not in football though.

Ozyhibby
04-09-2018, 01:59 PM
So has a player like Ajer who is kicked off the ball to deal with this himself from now on?

Ozyhibby
04-09-2018, 02:01 PM
Ryan Jack saying in the press that a ref should be demoted..... any other sport he'd get a long ban for that. Not in football though.

Used to be in Scottish football as well but since 2012 Sevco have said and done as they please and we just have to accept it.

Gloucester Hibs
04-09-2018, 02:03 PM
Sounds like, as long as it's retaliation, anything goes! Maybe this is the SPFL's grand plan to boost revenues and entertainment value? Full-on ice hockey style swedges to settle any on-pitch disagreement :take that

Kato
04-09-2018, 02:08 PM
So has a player like Ajer who is kicked off the ball to deal with this himself from now on?

:agree: He just has to kick him back, retaliation is now allowed.

If this had been the case in the '70's Alex Edwards would never have been sent off ever - no 8 week ban and Hibs might have won the League.

where'stheslope
04-09-2018, 03:23 PM
On the BBC website it tells how it works:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45409871

Kato
04-09-2018, 03:24 PM
On the BBC website it tells how it works:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45409871

Does "ex-category one" have a euphemistic meaning?

hibbysam
05-09-2018, 04:11 AM
Think they have, but no one has told the fans

The rule is regarding excessive force and brutality, however as their is no need to kick anyone off the ball, excessive force will always be used, as no force at all was necessary. And if booting someone when they’re lying on the deck isn’t brutality in footballing terms I’ve no idea what is.

JimBHibees
05-09-2018, 06:19 AM
Does "ex-category one" have a euphemistic meaning?

Probably would prefer them being referred as a number 2. :greengrin

3 refs get to decide. How impartial is that? absolute joke. No doubt all 3 in awe of Gerrard and wanting to be his mate.

Aldo
05-09-2018, 06:50 AM
Powers that be have set the standard and others will use these decisions when appealing. I wonder if we will even see a legal challenge regarding this.

It’s actually quite simple but once again Scottish refereeing showing how amateurish it actually is.

Gerrard and now Jack have publicly slated the ref! Will we see any action?

davym7062
05-09-2018, 08:00 AM
kicking a player is fine seemingly pretend to be a plane tho and ur ****ed

where'stheslope
05-09-2018, 10:23 AM
I would say at this point in the season, clarification is required on what is allowed and what is not?
The first one was Morelos kickout, red, it was quashed?
Doumbe challenge on Saturday, yellow?
The Aberdeen players red, not yet decided?
MacGregor's kick at player on the ground on Sunday, no case to answer?
At the moment, paying customers are watching a game to which the rules appear to be changed, and yet no one knows what these rules are?????

Danderhall Hibs
05-09-2018, 10:36 AM
I would say at this point in the season, clarification is required on what is allowed and what is not?
The first one was Morelos kickout, red, it was quashed?
Doumbe challenge on Saturday, yellow?
The Aberdeen players red, not yet decided?
MacGregor's kick at player on the ground on Sunday, no case to answer?
At the moment, paying customers are watching a game to which the rules appear to be changed, and yet no one knows what these rules are?????

The rules have been mentioned on the radio the last couple of nights and apparently they’ve been altered this season - they are being interpreted as red card only if endangering an opponent.

As Mikey Stewart says you can basically kick someone up the arse as hard as you want now as you’re not endangering anyone.

where'stheslope
05-09-2018, 10:57 AM
The rules have been mentioned on the radio the last couple of nights and apparently they’ve been altered this season - they are being interpreted as red card only if endangering an opponent.

As Mikey Stewart says you can basically kick someone up the arse as hard as you want now as you’re not endangering anyone.
So, this means that retaliation has been quaushed?
It was always the second reaction that carried the red card, the culprit always seemed to get yellow!
Its great that there has been rule changes, but I feel that someone should have mentioned it before the season starts, not on a radio show that not everyone listens to!
As usual the customer, does not have the right to know the rules just watch the game!!!!

Danderhall Hibs
05-09-2018, 11:02 AM
So, this means that retaliation has been quaushed?
It was always the second reaction that carried the red card, the culprit always seemed to get yellow!
Its great that there has been rule changes, but I feel that someone should have mentioned it before the season starts, not on a radio show that not everyone listens to!
As usual the customer, does not have the right to know the rules just watch the game!!!!

I know - I don’t think any of the current players or managers that appear on the radio know about the change either!

Clearly Rangers had a briefing though and are exploiting it.

Kato
05-09-2018, 11:14 AM
So what are the rule changes that allows retaliation?

Danderhall Hibs
05-09-2018, 11:32 AM
So what are the rule changes that allows retaliation?

I don’t think retaliation is directly referred to - there’s a wording change that says something about endangering an opponent being a red - anything less is a yellow.

ToffeeCabbage
05-09-2018, 11:37 AM
Mikey Devlin red upheld. I despair...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Boyle89
05-09-2018, 12:27 PM
You just know we will get a red card, most likely in the derby, and it will be upheld.

Onion
05-09-2018, 12:48 PM

Rule changes that play squarely into the hands of the Yams and Huns. Suppose just formalising what’s already in place.

Leithenhibby
05-09-2018, 02:36 PM
Mikey Devlin red upheld. I despair...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

:agree:

The cutest dive you'll see this season. :rolleyes:

JimBHibees
05-09-2018, 02:48 PM
You just know we will get a red card, most likely in the derby, and it will be upheld.

While Hearts for the umpteenth time will get one the week after the game when we should have got the benefit during the game. Must be 5 or 6 by now. It all evens out though, my erse.

where'stheslope
05-09-2018, 03:00 PM
While Hearts for the umpteenth time will get one the week after the game when we should have got the benefit during the game. Must be 5 or 6 by now. It all evens out though, my erse.
Unfortunately its not just Hertz that are getting this sort of luck, over the seasons we've had our bit of luck, but nothing like what is happening this season!!!
Short of pulling a gun and shooting an opponent, you'll get a red, but if you miss it will be downgraded to a yellow??????

Danderhall Hibs
05-09-2018, 03:24 PM
Unfortunately its not just Hertz that are getting this sort of luck, over the seasons we've had our bit of luck, but nothing like what is happening this season!!!
Short of pulling a gun and shooting an opponent, you'll get a red, but if you miss it will be downgraded to a yellow??????

You’ll only get a red if it endangers him - if you shoot and hit him in the leg (missing the artery) you’d probably be ok. The head’s a different story.

SirDavidsNapper
05-09-2018, 04:51 PM
Hell mend anyone pretending to be an aeroplane

lapsedhibee
05-09-2018, 04:59 PM
Hell mend anyone pretending to be an aeroplane

NL might have crashed into a player, though, endangering him.

Diclonius
05-09-2018, 05:02 PM
After viewing the Devlin incident I think it is entirely plausible to suggest the SFA is openly attempting to use its influence to ensure Celtic and Rangers finish in the top two.

HoboHarry
05-09-2018, 05:15 PM
NL might have crashed into a player, though, endangering him.
Imagine if he crashed into Craig Levein? An aeroplane crashing into a rocket - would have been a scene of carnage......

05-09-2018, 05:16 PM
How the hell did McGreagor get away with that kick?! He quite clearly deliberately kicked out as he went to get up. And the huns have the audacity to bleet on about how the authorities are all against them :rolleyes:

Deliberatly kick out at an opposition player lying on the ground - Nothing

Pretend the be an aeroplane after your team scores an injury time goal - Suspension

Seriously could not make it up at times.

Is It On....
06-09-2018, 03:28 PM

I wonder if there will be retrospective punishment of the referee that missed the Partick Thistle "goal" ?

where'stheslope
06-09-2018, 03:34 PM
I wonder if there will be retrospective punishment of the referee that missed the Partick Thistle "goal" ?
Yes! He'll probably get the first Final!!!!!