PDA

View Full Version : Is it really that bad?

cameronw-hfc
01-09-2018, 09:58 PM
Keep seeing posts on here about the board ect and how they've let us down this window, seen posts on Facebook and Twitter about how it's been a 'disgusting' and 'disgraceful' window, have to admit, I just don't see it as that bad.

This is the first window since Leanne came in that I think we can say we've been somewhat let down, however the comments of having the biggest budget in the club's history statement didn't help their causes although I'm not entirely sure it wasn't true.

We paid money for Mallan and Kamberi, possibly Horgan? Not sure on that one, but that's 2 players we paid a fee for maybe 3, for most clubs outside of scotland that's standard but barring the obvious few, is there any other club who can do that? We have also brought in players who all look capable in different ways.

The McGinn transfer was fairly late on, I imagine Neil and the team would have liked it to have been sorted before it did and I'm sure that played a part in bringing in replacements on limited time.

We also have the spine of our team our injured at the moment. Anybody who doesn't realise that's going to have a massive effect on us regardless of how many player we brought in for cover needs to have a look at themselves and maybe lower their expectations of Hibs. We play in a league with pennies for transfer fees and the fact that 3 mill or something got Mcginn shows that point exactly, he's a 10 mill player if he plays in the championship down south. Unless you play for Celtic or rangers it's difficult to command a large sum of money for a player up here, regardless of their ability.

I'd also argue that this has been our toughest window since Leanne came in. We have lost 3 of our best players, and the countries best players in their position and that's a tough job for any team to fix, never mind a team with our budget. The only window that compares to this one in terms of difficulty was Stubbs' first as we had like 9 players overall or something, but in fairness there was 0 expectation at that point, now we've got a bit higher expectations and I think a lot of people are struggling to be realistic with the fact we don't have a bottomless bucket of money to replace those guys with.

Confident all will come good, it takes a while to replace a whole midfield as good as the one we had last year, hope we start by securing Allan in Janurary and maybe another box to box player to replace SJM. Keep the faith!

matty_f
01-09-2018, 10:03 PM
It's not that bad. If we'd some the same business but brought in Kamberi and Maclaren yesterday rather than earlier in the window, everyone would have been buzzing about it.

Heisenberg
01-09-2018, 10:06 PM
Same as last season when we got pumped at home to Hamilton at the same stage of the season. Unacceptable result but i’m confident it won’t be a regular thing.

Lots of the hysteria today is multiplied because of us not signing anyone yesterday (mainly Allan) and it’s also heightened because Hearts have made a great start.

whiskyhibby
01-09-2018, 10:10 PM
I think there is a significant number of Yam trolls on this thread, also some deluded home fans.

personally I think it’s not where you start it’s where you finish that’s important ,losing 1 league game out of four is hardly a wrist slitting catastrophe

:troll::troll:

matty_f
01-09-2018, 10:11 PM
Same as last season when we got pumped at home to Hamilton at the same stage of the season. Unacceptable result but i’m confident it won’t be a regular thing.

Lots of the hysteria today is multiplied because of us not signing anyone yesterday (mainly Allan) and it’s also heightened because Hearts have made a great start.

:agree:

The reaction over the last couple of nights has been unbelievable.

Forza Fred
01-09-2018, 10:17 PM
Everybody needs to calm doom.

We lost...it happens.

The world doesn’t stop, because of it, and we don’t go from a good side to a bad side because of 1 defeat.

The management team now have a job to do to get us back on track......

neil7908
01-09-2018, 10:18 PM
I think the problem is right now we're weaker than last year. Maybe that was inevitable given the quality of players we lost but its still hard to take as a fan. We hit rock bottom after relegation and it's been all up since then.

Now it feels like we've hit a ceiling and it's not clear where we'll go next. Not only that, we've lost quality whereas Sevco and Hearts (our biggest rivals over the last few years) have improved after massive investment.

I think this is a tough one. Fans need to be realistic but I don't want to see us sink back to mediocrity. I know Lennon won't tolerate that either but if we finish 5/6th this year and do poorly in the cups and derbies the fans will drift away.

Success breeds success. I'm not overly worried yet but if we are struggling come January that will be the real test - will the board back the manager and put some funds in? If not the mood in the club will change quickly.

Sir David Gray
01-09-2018, 10:24 PM
If we had brought in no-one for the entire summer and then signed Mallan, Kamberi, Maclaren, Horgan, Agyepong, Milligan, Bogdan and Hyndman on deadline day yesterday then folk people would have been hailing it as one of the best windows ever.

Far too much is made of deadline day and the expectations that a transfer must be made during that 24 hours. I don't disagree that we're weaker than last year in midfield but that's not something I would necessarily blame the board for. We always knew it was a possibility that we would lose McGinn, McGeouch and Allan over the summer and replacing them with similar quality is not easy for a club like Hibs to do.

I also don't disagree that we are a little light up front. I would personally have liked us to bring in another striker. I think when either Kamberi or Maclaren are out, we don't have an awful lot in reserve which today proved.

The transfer activity could have been better but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as some people are making it out to be. We've still to see Milligan play and I have high hopes that he will be a success with us given his experience. We have also not really seen our main striker at full fitness yet as he played the European games with a knee problem. We have also been without our most experienced centre half in recent weeks.

I still think that once these guys are all fit then we'll see a different Hibs side.

cameronw-hfc
01-09-2018, 10:25 PM
Tin hat was firmly on whilst posting this but glad that it's merited a calm response rather than some of the posts I've seen today. Think the international break will do us the world of good.

Hermit Crab
01-09-2018, 10:28 PM
I think there is a significant number of Yam trolls on this thread, also some deluded home fans.

personally I think it’s not where you start it’s where you finish that’s important ,losing 1 league game out of four is hardly a wrist slitting catastrophe

:troll::troll:

After only 3 posts on this thread?

Forza Fred
01-09-2018, 10:29 PM
I think the problem is right now we're weaker than last year. Maybe that was inevitable given the quality of players we lost but its still hard to take as a fan. We hit rock bottom after relegation and it's been all up since then.

Now it feels like we've hit a ceiling and it's not clear where we'll go next. Not only that, we've lost quality whereas Sevco and Hearts (our biggest rivals over the last few years) have improved after massive investment.

I think this is a tough one. Fans need to be realistic but I don't want to see us sink back to mediocrity. I know Lennon won't tolerate that either but if we finish 5/6th this year and do poorly in the cups and derbies the fans will drift away.

Success breeds success. I'm not overly worried yet but if we are struggling come January that will be the real test - will the board back the manager and put some funds in? If not the mood in the club will change quickly.

Good post.

Also, Obviously managing a team like Hibs , or any team outside the Ugly Sisters in Scotland, requires probably bigger management skills than managing the Old Firm, where generally speaking, the boss can sign whomever he wants, with money being a much less problem than for other clubs.

The expectations have been significantly raised in recent times, and while our income has also increased, it probably has’nt Kept pace with fans’ expectations.

Again I’m generalising, but the final league placing generally mirror the budgets of the clubs.

Hibs have the fifth biggest budget, so finishing fifth as a final league position can....but won’t be for many....considered the base line...finish above that the management team have done ok, below that and they have underperformed.

Captain Trips
01-09-2018, 10:40 PM
That was a pile of Utter dross today. Losing Mcginn didn't help but those players are better than Livingstons.

It was piss poor and if we pushed for 2nd last year I expect at least the same. We will be nowhere near that with failure to beat our rivals for that position last week and then losing to Livingston.

We absolutely might go on to finish 2nd anything can happen going forward but I can only judge what I have seen thus far not on what I hope happens.

Simply not good enough.

The Modfather
01-09-2018, 10:43 PM
If we had brought in no-one for the entire summer and then signed Mallan, Kamberi, Maclaren, Horgan, Agyepong, Milligan, Bogdan and Hyndman on deadline day yesterday then folk people would have been hailing it as one of the best windows ever.

Far too much is made of deadline day and the expectations that a transfer must be made during that 24 hours. I don't disagree that we're weaker than last year in midfield but that's not something I would necessarily blame the board for. We always knew it was a possibility that we would lose McGinn, McGeouch and Allan over the summer and replacing them with similar quality is not easy for a club like Hibs to do.

I also don't disagree that we are a little light up front. I would personally have liked us to bring in another striker. I think when either Kamberi or Maclaren are out, we don't have an awful lot in reserve which today proved.

The transfer activity could have been better but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as some people are making it out to be. We've still to see Milligan play and I have high hopes that he will be a success with us given his experience. We have also not really seen our main striker at full fitness yet as he played the European games with a knee problem. We have also been without our most experienced centre half in recent weeks.

I still think that once these guys are all fit then we'll see a different Hibs side.

Regardless of when the players came in it still looks like we are short on what we needed in terms of numbers and quality.

Hopefully once we have everyone available it will start to look better and we can address the current deficiencies. I can’t help but feel we’re much weaker than last season, at a time when Rangers & Hearts looking like they have improved. Hopefully Aberdeen and Kille have also regressed.

SideBurns
01-09-2018, 10:53 PM
That was a pile of Utter dross today. Losing Mcginn didn't help but those players are better than Livingstons.

It was piss poor and if we pushed for 2nd last year I expect at least the same. We will be nowhere near that with failure to beat our rivals for that position last week and then losing to Livingston.

We absolutely might go on to finish 2nd anything can happen going forward but I can only judge what I have seen thus far not on what I hope happens.

Simply not good enough.

I didn't think we had a chance of finishing 2nd at 3pm, so today's performance didn't alter my opinion. The only thing that could stop The Huns from improving to the point where they become Celtic's nearest challengers would be liquidation - sadly, it appears that isn't happening. Not at the moment, anyway.

Hibernia&Alba
01-09-2018, 10:54 PM
We lost at Livi, a club which was in the third tier two seasons ago. Yes it's really bad.

Sir David Gray
01-09-2018, 10:59 PM
Regardless of when the players came in it still looks like we are short on what we needed in terms of numbers and quality.

Hopefully once we have everyone available it will start to look better and we can address the current deficiencies. I can’t help but feel we’re much weaker than last season, at a time when Rangers & Hearts looking like they have improved. Hopefully Aberdeen and Kille have also regressed.

We shouldn't be comparing ourselves to Rangers, they operate in completely different financial markets to the ones that we do.

The only reason why we were able to compete with them recently was because of how much of a basket case they were on and off the pitch. They have resources available to them which should see them comfortably above us every year.

Our rivals are Hearts and Aberdeen and I don't think there will be much between these three teams by the end of the season.

Captain Trips
01-09-2018, 11:48 PM
I didn't think we had a chance of finishing 2nd at 3pm, so today's performance didn't alter my opinion. The only thing that could stop The Huns from improving to the point where they become Celtic's nearest challengers would be liquidation - sadly, it appears that isn't happening. Not at the moment, anyway.

That then is where we differ I expect us to move on and try to improve on last season. We may do that but based on what I have seen its not good enough.

bingo70
02-09-2018, 05:39 AM

Simply not good enough.

Celtic lost to Hearts, Aberdeen lost to Killie, man united got thumped by Brighton and so on and so on.....

Currently in the league I think Hearts are first, st Johnston are 2nd and Livi are third (think I read that on twitter anyway). These things won’t last, it’s normal for teams to have blips and some of the poorer teams over perform at this Gary of the season.

MASSIVE over reaction to one defeat IMO, even if we didn’t play well. We never do play well on those pitches though so I don’t see anything to be overly concerned about.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
02-09-2018, 06:08 AM

Good post. At the moment it's a single bad performance and result. If it keeps happening, then it becomes a worry.

There was always going to be an adjustment period, with an entirely new midfield and some important players being injured.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
02-09-2018, 06:12 AM

Simply not good enough.

Then you will spend all season disappointed, because it is very unlikely that will happen, and there is almost zero chance that we will be a better team than last year- zero.

People need to get challenging for 2nd out of their heads. That is not the par against which we should be judging the team.

We can hope it happens through luck or other circumstances (a huns implosion) but we would be punching way above our weight to challenge them after what they spent.

Your post does highlight the problem of unrealistic expectations, and the difficulty that we have which means that if we are not getting better, then to many fans that means we are going backwards and Induces a sense of negativity and despair.

bingo70
02-09-2018, 06:22 AM
Then you will spend all season disappointed, because it is very unlikely that will happen, and there is almost zero chance that we will be a better team than last year- zero.

People need to get challenging for 2nd out of their heads. That is not the par against which we should be judging the team.

We can hope it happens through luck or other circumstances (a huns implosion) but we would be punching way above our weight to challenge them after what they spent.

Your post does highlight the problem of unrealistic expectations, and the difficulty that we have which means that if we are not getting better, then to many fans that means we are going backwards and Induces a sense of negativity and despair.

I’d bite your hand off if offered 4th place and a European place again. Talk of second is completely unrealistic IMO.

Viva_Palmeiras
02-09-2018, 06:27 AM
Keep seeing posts on here about the board ect and how they've let us down this window, seen posts on Facebook and Twitter about how it's been a 'disgusting' and 'disgraceful' window, have to admit, I just don't see it as that bad.

This is the first window since Leanne came in that I think we can say we've been somewhat let down, however the comments of having the biggest budget in the club's history statement didn't help their causes although I'm not entirely sure it wasn't true.

We paid money for Mallan and Kamberi, possibly Horgan? Not sure on that one, but that's 2 players we paid a fee for maybe 3, for most clubs outside of scotland that's standard but barring the obvious few, is there any other club who can do that? We have also brought in players who all look capable in different ways.

The McGinn transfer was fairly late on, I imagine Neil and the team would have liked it to have been sorted before it did and I'm sure that played a part in bringing in replacements on limited time.

We also have the spine of our team our injured at the moment. Anybody who doesn't realise that's going to have a massive effect on us regardless of how many player we brought in for cover needs to have a look at themselves and maybe lower their expectations of Hibs. We play in a league with pennies for transfer fees and the fact that 3 mill or something got Mcginn shows that point exactly, he's a 10 mill player if he plays in the championship down south. Unless you play for Celtic or rangers it's difficult to command a large sum of money for a player up here, regardless of their ability.

I'd also argue that this has been our toughest window since Leanne came in. We have lost 3 of our best players, and the countries best players in their position and that's a tough job for any team to fix, never mind a team with our budget. The only window that compares to this one in terms of difficulty was Stubbs' first as we had like 9 players overall or something, but in fairness there was 0 expectation at that point, now we've got a bit higher expectations and I think a lot of people are struggling to be realistic with the fact we don't have a bottomless bucket of money to replace those guys with.

Confident all will come good, it takes a while to replace a whole midfield as good as the one we had last year, hope we start by securing Allan in Janurary and maybe another box to box player to replace SJM. Keep the faith!

This balanced view will never catch on you know ;)

As far as opening starts to seasons go - esp when you take Europe into account has been OK. I’ve been watching us since 87 and can remember the hopes for the season being dashed with miserable opening day loses or turgid draws.

We’re in a relatively better place we’ve lost McGinn who on itself is a massive dent but also McGeouch is a tough task. Crap with injuries to key players hopefully this evens out amongst the teams over the season.

We’ve no divine right to win all games but Lennys stats show that over the piece we’ll do well.

DetroitHibs
02-09-2018, 06:33 AM
When the club has brought in roughly 7 million in season ticket sales, player transfers etc. Then yes, the reinvestment has been pretty poor.

Viva_Palmeiras
02-09-2018, 06:35 AM
When the club has brought in roughly 7 million in season ticket sales, player transfers etc. Then yes, the reinvestment has been pretty poor.

Is all that pot readily available - right heee right now tho?

SideBurns
02-09-2018, 06:58 AM

I was annoyed and disappointed by yesterday's performance and, obviously, result, and have voiced my concerns on other threads. However, it is worth bearing in mind that we lost 3-1 to Hamilton around this time last year (on our own pitch, a bowling green in relative terms), and the final score probably flattered us. We bounced back from that, and it is a trait of Lennon's Hibs teams that we recover quickly from a bad result.

I think it's helpful that we have a 2 week break now. It allows us all to breathe, let the anger subside, and hopefully get a few players involved v Killie who didn't feature yesterday and therefore aren't tainted by the defeat. There is a test of character ahead for the players, but at the very least I'm confident we'll all be eager to get back watching the Hibees in a fortnight's time.

theonlywayisup
02-09-2018, 07:05 AM
Yesterday was shocking.

The enjoyment we all had watching the rise of the Hibees since the dark days of relegation has been great.

Yesterday was as bad as any of the poor performances watching the Butcher and Fenlon teams.

Yes, it's only one game, but the signs were not good. Play like that against the top six sides and we'll be lucky avoid a hefty defeat. The midfield was terrible yesterday and I struggle to be positive about the weeks ahead.

As my name suggests, I'm usually someone who maintains a positive outlook when it comes to Hibs.However, I really do worry about the next few months.

Ray_
02-09-2018, 07:15 AM
It's not that bad. If we'd some the same business but brought in Kamberi and Maclaren yesterday rather than earlier in the window, everyone would have been buzzing about it.

No matty, it would have meant that we would have been extremely short for the nine games leading up to the window closing [given Flo's key role in the early games, very possibly less than nine games], with Shaw as the only striker and it would have likely influenced the decision to let Murray leave as well, I certainly don't think it would have left everyone buzzing, more likely the feeling of too little too late.

There was already plenty of feedback from fans about how long it was taking to get people in [which has been in part justified due to the lack of credible cover at the moment, which subsequently has led to a fair number of points being dropped].

hibbydog
02-09-2018, 07:57 AM
For comparison:

Aberdeen have also lost some quality players. They only got a point last week and were defeated at home yesterday.

Do you reckon they’re panicking?

Or perhaps they’re understanding that they’ve got a good manager and it’ll take a wee while for their new players to gel together. And besides there’s 34 games left to put it right?

Heisenberg
02-09-2018, 08:02 AM
For comparison:

Aberdeen have also lost some quality players. They only got a point last week and were defeated at home yesterday.

Or perhaps they’re understanding that they’ve got a good manager and it’ll take a wee while for their new players to gel together. And besides there’s 34 games left to put it right?

No. Only Hibs are in such crisis. We are getting relegated. Sack the board. Dempster out. Boooooo!

IGRIGI
02-09-2018, 08:02 AM
For comparison:

😂😂 Aberdeen fans thinking like that 🤣🤣

weecounty hibby
02-09-2018, 08:12 AM
Poor result and by all accounts a poor performance. The hype created by Sky sports around the transfer deadline day has folk thinking that if you don’t sign a superstar on that day then the whole window has been ****. We have had a decent window on incomings, we cannot replace SJM and Dylan but have bought well I think. We still have Milligan to come in, Hyndman, MacLaren, Agyepong to get up to match fitness, Kamberi, Daz and Marvin injured. Horgan looks exciting, Mallan looks ok too. I still think that there are probably free agents out there who we may sign.

Chic Murray
02-09-2018, 08:56 AM
Tin hat was firmly on whilst posting this but glad that it's merited a calm response rather than some of the posts I've seen today. Think the international break will do us the world of good.

People need to remember we have been playing since the start of July, and those six matches have had an impact - kambieri's injury for example.

New players like Mulligan and Asepyong haven't been rushed in either.

The international break is welcome.

paddy1875
02-09-2018, 08:58 AM
Is it really that bad? No.

Hibs always through a terrible result in the mix at some point. If we didn’t we would be challenging for the league year in year out.

We’ve had a load of quality leave the club but we’ve also seen a few players in that are good signings. Once everyone is in and we’re up to speed it’ll come good.

It feels worse now because hearts are flying. But it’ll click again. The next game is big test and I’m sure Lennon will have the team ready and a big performance will come.

I’ll say that as soon as we scored first yesterday the player thought the game was over, Livy are going through a bounce with the new manager coming in and winning the weekend previous. We took our foot off the gas and were punished for it.

The team we have is more than good enough as we seen the weekend precious with a strong performance against Aberdeen. But they can’t allow there standards to slip up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir David Gray
02-09-2018, 09:38 AM
Poor result and by all accounts a poor performance. The hype created by Sky sports around the transfer deadline day has folk thinking that if you don’t sign a superstar on that day then the whole window has been ****. We have had a decent window on incomings, we cannot replace SJM and Dylan but have bought well I think. We still have Milligan to come in, Hyndman, MacLaren, Agyepong to get up to match fitness, Kamberi, Daz and Marvin injured. Horgan looks exciting, Mallan looks ok too. I still think that there are probably free agents out there who we may sign.

Totally agree particularly with the first part of your post. The media has encouraged a shift in attitude in recent years which means if clubs don't sign anyone in the final 24 hours of the window then it's somehow a disappointment.

I said earlier, possibly even on this thread, that if we had signed no-one for the entire window then brought in all the players we have signed this summer on deadline day then it would have been considered a great success.

I don't disagree that we are weaker than we were at the end of last season but that was always likely to be the case when we were losing three of the best midfielders in the country.

I think when we get our strongest side out on the pitch we'll be fine. I believe we will finish in the top 5. The improvements made at Hearts are, so far, undeniable so we'll need to wait and see if we have enough to improve on last season's 4th place.

Yesterday was grim but I'm not getting carried away just yet.

IberianHibernian
02-09-2018, 10:06 AM
From what I`ve seen all the new signings have been good ones and hopefully Mulligan will also add a lot to the team . Once all the new players are settled in , I`d expect us to be in a comfortable position in top 6 at Christmas before pushing for top 4 in second half of season . The January window is said to be more difficult than the summer one but last year it was great for us and hopefully will be again this season . I`m presuming there`ll be some cash available for signings in January though I think a lot of us probably overestimate amount we have for signings ( Record season ticket sales - how many are concessions ? European matches - how much went on flights and hotels ? )

MacGruber
02-09-2018, 11:16 AM
From what I`ve seen all the new signings have been good ones and hopefully Mulligan will also add a lot to the team . Once all the new players are settled in , I`d expect us to be in a comfortable position in top 6 at Christmas before pushing for top 4 in second half of season . The January window is said to be more difficult than the summer one but last year it was great for us and hopefully will be again this season . I`m presuming there`ll be some cash available for signings in January though I think a lot of us probably overestimate amount we have for signings ( Record season ticket sales - how many are concessions ? European matches - how much went on flights and hotels ? )

Good individual signings though no balance to the team or depth. Decent cover in some positions, overloaded in others, no cover in other areas. A lot of similar players. Will take signing a couple of the right type of player and in the right positions to sort us out - ones that bring qualities we lack and complement the players here. Roll on January

Just Jimmy
02-09-2018, 01:42 PM
no. however it's not brilliant right now either. we've ridden a wave since May 2016 and now is the time to see how we'll deal with adversity.

Lennon is the right guy to guide us through.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

scooby
02-09-2018, 01:45 PM
We lost at Livi, a club which was in the third tier two seasons ago. Yes it's really bad.

We look a shadow of the team from last season, no cohesion and no fight. I'm not convinced we've recruited well, and fear we'll see more results like yesterday's.
I know we have key players out injured, but we look very thin on cover. We've known for ages that our key midfielders were leaving, yet we've not even replaced them with similar types of players.
Big mistake IMO, which may well derail the momentum we've had for the last few years.

A Hi-Bee
02-09-2018, 01:46 PM
Well its no very good, so it must be pretty bad, otherwise it would be O.K. I presume.

Speedway
02-09-2018, 01:51 PM
no. however it's not brilliant right now either. we've ridden a wave since May 2016 and now is the time to see how we'll deal with adversity.

Lennon is the right guy to guide us through.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Spot on.

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-09-2018, 01:53 PM
Our first team seems to have a tendency to all have an off day at the same time. Write a line under it and then move on. Remember Hamilton at home last season. They gave us a real seeing to but other than Aberdeen away it was the exception rather than the rule.

Stevie Reid
02-09-2018, 02:07 PM
It's definitely not that bad, as bad as yesterday was in terms of performance. Aberdeen have had plenty of bad defeats in the last four years, but always respond. We've had no real adversity to deal with since the SC win, yet the catastrophizing on here after sporadic defeats is pretty staggering.

Ironically, losing games doesn't really hurt us, we hardly ever lose. What does hurt us is the number of draws we continually have. We could do with a few more defeats, if it meant a few more victories.

Again, to reference Aberdeen, in the last four seasons prior to this, they've drawn a total of 22 league games - we drew 13 last year alone. When we finished 3rd under Mowbray, we lost 13 league games IIRC - we just hardly drew any.

That said, I don't think many on here could handle more defeats, given how poorly they deal with them. What's even more bizarre is that not only is it rare that we lose, but they're always narrow ones when they do come. League-wise we've only lost by more than one goal twice in the eight that we've lost.

We're nowhere near the basket case that so many are keen to make out we are.

Nakedmanoncrack
02-09-2018, 02:30 PM
I'm as disappointed as anyone with yesterday's shambles, but this is how BAD it is - we are above not only Aberdeen, but "Stevie G's rejuvenated Rangers", who have invested heavily.

ScottB
02-09-2018, 02:36 PM
I'm as disappointed as anyone with yesterday's shambles, but this is how BAD it is - we are above not only Aberdeen, but "Stevie G's rejuvenated Rangers", who have invested heavily.

I was surprised when I looked at the table, that the mighty Gerrard has his team level on points with us.

Shows the media spin, since I do think we’ve had a poor start, so byvextension, they’ve had an even worse one.

Sir David Gray
02-09-2018, 02:44 PM
I was surprised when I looked at the table, that the mighty Gerrard has his team level on points with us.

Shows the media spin, since I do think we’ve had a poor start, so byvextension, they’ve had an even worse one.

It's Rangers' worst start to a league season in almost 30 years.

Jones28
02-09-2018, 03:07 PM
As long as we see a response then everything is fine. Same points as Aberdeen and Rangers so far.

Because our neighbours are doing so well it makes this look worse than it is really is.

Nakedmanoncrack
02-09-2018, 03:12 PM

Not possible, must be the worst in their history.

Captain Trips
02-09-2018, 03:14 PM

Indeed I found that to be impossible also.

wookie70
02-09-2018, 03:16 PM
No matty, it would have meant that we would have been extremely short for the nine games leading up to the window closing [given Flo's key role in the early games, very possibly less than nine games], with Shaw as the only striker and it would have likely influenced the decision to let Murray leave as well, I certainly don't think it would have left everyone buzzing, more likely the feeling of too little too late.

There was already plenty of feedback from fans about how long it was taking to get people in [which has been in part justified due to the lack of credible cover at the moment, which subsequently has led to a fair number of points being dropped].

We would all still be thinking we are short up front and relying on few injuries at the back. Deadline day has nothing to do with it for me it is the total sum of ins and outs. We have went from a strong and fairly balance if quite small squad to a weaker, imbalanced squad that is even smaller. Given we had Europe I think we were very late to assemble our squad and to me it feels like we never really had a plan to move forward after losing our engine room. As others have said we look like we have went after decent players but don't know what system we will play and how they will fit it. Yesterday showed how weak we are in terms of numbers and quality and we are probably due a season with a few injuries as we have been very lucky for the last couple of years.

Sir David Gray
02-09-2018, 03:21 PM

I'm doing what they do and being selective about when I recognise them as a new club.

On this occasion, the statistic is a negative for them so I'm happy to turn a blind eye to the liquidation event of 2012.

I think it's quite hilarious that they have everyone in the media falling over themselves to congratulate them on their improvement since Gerrard took over and yet he is responsible for their worst start to a season since 1989.

BullsCloseHibs
02-09-2018, 03:25 PM

Well said. Hard to disagree with any of that.

Borderhibbie76
02-09-2018, 04:17 PM
I’d bite your hand off if offered 4th place and a European place again. Talk of second is completely unrealistic IMO.Absolutely we blew our once in a decade or so chance of 2nd at the end of last season...that chance may not come round again for quite some time unfortunately. Lennon knew it too hence his quit threat after the Derby defeat. What concerns me at the moment is we are far weaker than that team that ended last season...yes we have crucial players out injured but we really needed another couple of bodies in last week...even if Just to balance an unbalanced looking squad...it's fine in terms of numbers but very lop sided and lacking on physicality and strength...and that worries me over the next 4 months till the Jan window. I fear we will have a few more results like yesterday's...at least until we get the likes of Marv and Milligan in the team

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
02-09-2018, 04:20 PM
For comparison:

Or perhaps they’re understanding that they’ve got a good manager and it’ll take a wee while for their new players to gel together. And besides there’s 34 games left to put it right?No they are angry and panicking...their fans are also all over Twitter...just like ours. I wish people on here would stop making out like it's only Hibs fans who overreact to bad defeats...it's not!! Aberdeen fans are every bit as angry as some of us at present

SquashedFrogg
02-09-2018, 04:21 PM

What tier are they in now?

Phil MaGlass
02-09-2018, 04:35 PM
We would all still be thinking we are short up front and relying on few injuries at the back. Deadline day has nothing to do with it for me it is the total sum of ins and outs. We have went from a strong and fairly balance if quite small squad to a weaker, imbalanced squad that is even smaller. Given we had Europe I think we were very late to assemble our squad and to me it feels like we never really had a plan to move forward after losing our engine room. As others have said we look like we have went after decent players but don't know what system we will play and how they will fit it. Yesterday showed how weak we are in terms of numbers and quality and we are probably due a season with a few injuries as we have been very lucky for the last couple of years.

I agree with absoulutely everything in this post, but, I do think we will click sooner rather than later. Quality always shows.Our European games should have had us ready for the league even with losing the players we have. I also think our team will finish above both. hertz and dons come the end of the season

02-09-2018, 06:22 PM
Theres no doubt there has been a lot of bed wetting and over reaction from some hibs fans but at the same time I guess it kind of shows how far we've come the fact we are not accepting losing to the likes of Livingstone. I'd hate us to fall back into our old ways where we just accepted ***** performances. Obviously before we still got angry at defeats especially in games we really ought to be winning but I just felt we had been reduced to just accepting being poor. We expect a much higher standard these days. No disrespect to Livi, and I know nobody has a god given right to win any game, but with the money and resources we have compared to them we really should be taking 3 points out these games.

I'm disappointed with our lack of activity on the final day of the window as I feel we are still a couple or so players short in areas and we have the money to spend howveer I don't believe it was simply through lack of trying.

Captain Trips
02-09-2018, 06:26 PM
Ffs bed wetting jeez. Are the folk who use this pish phrase not "bed wetting" on folks reactions.

Bed wetters I mean ffs turn it in.

Nakedmanoncrack
02-09-2018, 06:51 PM
I'm doing what they do and being selective about when I recognise them as a new club.

On this occasion, the statistic is a negative for them so I'm happy to turn a blind eye to the liquidation event of 2012.

I think it's quite hilarious that they have everyone in the media falling over themselves to congratulate them on their improvement since Gerrard took over and yet he is responsible for their worst start to a season since 1989.

Fairly sure Old Co Huns won the league that year though, which is probably the most important statistic, nothing is decided after 4 games.

Hi Heid Yin
02-09-2018, 07:21 PM

Sorry to correct you SDG, but I think that you'll find The Rangers have only been in existence since 2012!

ancient hibee
02-09-2018, 07:28 PM
We look a shadow of the team from last season, no cohesion and no fight. I'm not convinced we've recruited well, and fear we'll see more results like yesterday's.
I know we have key players out injured, but we look very thin on cover. We've known for ages that our key midfielders were leaving, yet we've not even replaced them with similar types of players.
Big mistake IMO, which may well derail the momentum we've had for the last few years.
Strange remark about lack of fight.Maybe we didn’ t compete yesterday but we’ve already rescued two matches at the death after being behind.
And of course our two rivals for second are already behind us:greengrin

greenlex
03-09-2018, 12:08 PM
No

hhibs
03-09-2018, 03:17 PM
No

I take the alternative view, Yes.

Togs91
03-09-2018, 03:25 PM

A club who played some real difficult football to get out of the third tier. And it was only a couple of seasons ago we were firmly in the second tier. I think cup success and a good season straight up from the championship, especially compared to hearts, has got us hyped up more than usual. HAT IS A GOOD THING, however to walk about expecting to win games and spitting the dummy out this early is pathetic really. Give is a few games after the international break, then we can gauge how well or not we are doing!

Speedway
03-09-2018, 04:54 PM
I'd be concerned if NL wasn't the manager and LD wasn't the CEO.

Dare I say that we're perhaps starting to see some 'Natural Order' being restored where this season's final league table will reflect the money spent on the squads.

Weegreenman
03-09-2018, 07:58 PM
Yesterday was shocking.

The enjoyment we all had watching the rise of the Hibees since the dark days of relegation has been great.

Yesterday was as bad as any of the poor performances watching the Butcher and Fenlon teams.

Yes, it's only one game, but the signs were not good. Play like that against the top six sides and we'll be lucky avoid a hefty defeat. The midfield was terrible yesterday and I struggle to be positive about the weeks ahead.

As my name suggests, I'm usually someone who maintains a positive outlook when it comes to Hibs.However, I really do worry about the next few months.

Got to admit that I’m a wee tad worried like yourself but I’m trying to look at the bigger picture. Lennon is a top manager. I believe he’ll get the best out the players we have. It’s like he said, he’s going to need time to work with them. Keep the faith 👍🇳🇬

mjhibby
03-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Got to admit that I’m a wee tad worried like yourself but I’m trying to look at the bigger picture. Lennon is a top manager. I believe he’ll get the best out the players we have. It’s like he said, he’s going to need time to work with them. Keep the faith 👍🇳🇬

I think the Europa League and injuries had a lot to do with Saturday.

wearehibernian
03-09-2018, 09:58 PM
The next game is paramount. We lost very, very few last season but drew a fair few. So (based on last season) we need more wins and less draws. It really is that simple. I reckon there will be equally fine lines this time around and I'm a bit underwhelmed at the lack of new signings to be honest...

majorhibs
03-09-2018, 10:04 PM

matty_f 11:03 PM 01-09-2018

Gies peace! If no signings till deadline day would’ve been uproar after potter signing 12+ & counting, far too much excusing & accepting nowadays, aw these internet experts werenae there in 70’s, good was good but as a kid let me tell ye the team/manager/b & even ref used tae get it tight VERY loudly when not acceptable. V Early days but everyone knows quality of players lost naebody knows how new boys will pan out, we all hope well, but the mob on here that gie it the superior knowledge we are calm if your no your bedwetters drivel can be tiresome! Optimism’s fine but saying we’re in a better place than last year & oppo’s aren’t is not where I’m at, but we will see.

RG63
04-09-2018, 08:10 AM
matty_f 11:03 PM 01-09-2018

Gies peace! If no signings till deadline day would’ve been uproar after potter signing 12+ & counting, far too much excusing & accepting nowadays, aw these internet experts werenae there in 70’s, good was good but as a kid let me tell ye the team/manager/b & even ref used tae get it tight VERY loudly when not acceptable. V Early days but everyone knows quality of players lost naebody knows how new boys will pan out, we all hope well, but the mob on here that gie it the superior knowledge we are calm if your no your bedwetters drivel can be tiresome! Optimism’s fine but saying we’re in a better place than last year & oppo’s aren’t is not where I’m at, but we will see.

Looking at the positives if someone was to say we would be above Rangers and Aberdeen after four games we would have taken it! On a serious note I would go for free agent Steven Caulker to stiffen up and organise the defence. I know he’s not been great recently at Dundee but we have better players that just need a bit of bullying to get them focused.

Borderhibbie76
04-09-2018, 11:29 AM
The next game is paramount. We lost very, very few last season but drew a fair few. So (based on last season) we need more wins and less draws. It really is that simple. I reckon there will be equally fine lines this time around and I'm a bit underwhelmed at the lack of new signings to be honest...I think the next 4 games are massive in the context of our season...all what we class as "winnable" and given our poor-ish start in terms of point gained if suggest we probably need a minimum of 9 or 10 out of the next 12 with then 3 very difficult fixtures to follow.

SMAXXA
04-09-2018, 12:02 PM
Na I don’t think it’s really that bad, point is I think folk aswell as myself thought it could have just been a lot better. No dramas though