PDA

View Full Version : 7 points

GlasgowHibee
01-09-2018, 05:35 PM
7 ****ing points, after only 4 league games. How on earth have we let the gorgie gremlins build up a 7 point lead already when we have had an almost easier start to the season than them?

We have absolutely had their number for the past 2 years, and I really hope that isn’t now turning due to the boards inability to strengthen properly during the transfer window.

Now before I’m accused of pant-wetting, I fully believe we could finish above them done the end of the season - but we seriously need to buck up our ideas and act fast before it’s too late.

calumhibee1
01-09-2018, 05:40 PM
7 ****ing points, after only 4 league games. How on earth have we let the gorgie gremlins build up a 7 point lead already when we have had an almost easier start to the season than them?

We have absolutely had their number for the past 2 years, and I really hope that isn’t now turning due to the boards inability to strengthen properly during the transfer window.

Now before I’m accused of pant-wetting, I fully believe we could finish above them done the end of the season - but we seriously need to buck up our ideas and act fast before it’s too late.

We could finish above them by the end of the season but we’ll not catch them any time soon. They’ll not drop many points at home. I’d be surprised if we’re above them by Xmas.

Sir David Gray
01-09-2018, 05:41 PM
They have a 100% record so far, fair play to them. It's more of a concern that we have only managed to score 3 goals in our last 3 league games and haven't won any of them.

Jim44
01-09-2018, 05:44 PM
Considering they’ve apparently and according to us, brought in quantity over quality, they seem to be doing something right. Flash in the pan? Maybies aye, maybies naw. I’m concerned that their bubble might not burst as soon as we might want it to

IGRIGI
01-09-2018, 05:51 PM
Their scatter gun approach has worked out so far, and it's looking increasingly like they hit the ground running in the summer while we sat with our thumbs up our arse awaiting the outcome of the Mcginn saga.

calumhibee1
01-09-2018, 05:51 PM
Considering they’ve apparently and according to us, brought in quantity over quality, they seem to be doing something right. Flash in the pan? Maybies aye, maybies naw. I’m concerned that their bubble might not burst as soon as we might want it to

They have to be *****. Good players don’t become available until the end of the window was the mantra on here for most of the summer.

Reality is they’ve signed well and they’ll do well this season. We’ve already got a lot of work to do to reign them in. I also wouldn’t be surprised if the gap increases further until we manage to have some form of a settled team.

davym7062
01-09-2018, 05:55 PM
2 4-1 wins beat Celtic then Killie away is a cracking start we would be shouting from the rooftops if hat was us!!

Bobby's Cinema
01-09-2018, 05:57 PM
It’s a long season. I’m struggling to remember the last time we lost a game before today? We’ve lost the core of the team for the first time in years, that takes time to bed in and I’m sorry we can’t replace a 3million pound player like for like. On to the next one to find something that works

calumhibee1
01-09-2018, 06:00 PM
It’s a long season. I’m struggling to remember the last time we lost a game before today? We’ve lost the core of the team for the first time in years, that takes time to bed in and I’m sorry we can’t replace a 3million pound player like for like. On to the next one to find something that works

I’m presuming you’re not including the Molde game but we lost to Hearts in the second last game of last season. So we’ve lost 2 of our last 6 in the league and won 1.

lyonhibs
01-09-2018, 06:12 PM
I'll never quite grasp this fascination with judging Hibs based on how Hearts are doing. They've had a great start, not that they could have got much worse from last season.

Leave them to get on with their season. Right now, more than ever, is "1 game at a time" territory.

Borderhibbie76
01-09-2018, 06:38 PM
Their scatter gun approach has worked out so far, and it's looking increasingly like they hit the ground running in the summer while we sat with our thumbs up our arse awaiting the outcome of the Mcginn saga.Nail hit firmly on the head

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
01-09-2018, 06:41 PM
I'll never quite grasp this fascination with judging Hibs based on how Hearts are doing. They've had a great start, not that they could have got much worse from last season.

Leave them to get on with their season. Right now, more than ever, is "1 game at a time" territory.It's a fact of life in a 2 team city mate...fans will always judge their club by how their rivals are doing...stands to reason. We finished 18 pts above them last season and yet already trail them by 7 after 4 games...it's not great reading for any Hibee. They appear to have improved whilst we have most deffo gone backwards from the team that finishes last season...

Onion
01-09-2018, 06:51 PM
Easier for the chasing pack to catch up. Also, they were very motivated. Their world revolves around how well they do against the Mighty Hibees and the last few years will have been painful for them. They have over-invested in an attempt to bridge the gap and had extra motivation / focus to get off to a good start, while we were battling away in Europe.

Levein could not afford to get off to a poor start, otherwise he would not last to Oct.

Early days, but Hibs better know they are in a fight.

SirDavidsNapper
01-09-2018, 06:59 PM
Some drama queens on here. We don't play Barcelona till October. It's not uncommon for Lennon teams to need a kick up the arse. They'll have got a massive one today. I have the utmost faith in our players, management team and board. Some folk need to calm down. In the last 3 years we've won the cup, been to numerous semis, won promotion, gone 9 unbeaten in derbys, finished 18 points above them, beaten Brondby away, lost (i think) 2 home games in around a year, had our best European run in 20 odd years..the list goes on. We've lost for the first time this season but Lennon will not stand for it. We'll be fine. For once the international break has come at a good time for us. The league finishes in May not the 1st September. Aberdeen, our main rivals for 3rd imo lost at home today. Puts in in perspective. Its still very early in the season.

lyonhibs
01-09-2018, 06:59 PM
It's a fact of life in a 2 team city mate...fans will always judge their club by how their rivals are doing...stands to reason. We finished 18 pts above them last season and yet already trail them by 7 after 4 games...it's not great reading for any Hibee. They appear to have improved whilst we have most deffo gone backwards from the team that finishes last season...

A fact of life for some perhaps . I'll continue to judge Hibs' performance based on a few more factors than how Hearts are doing. Would today have been any less **** for Hibs if Hearts had got pumped?
No, not for me. So the reverse is also true. A Hibs defeat is bad enough in itself, it's not made worse by a simultaneous Hearts victory.

One Day Soon
01-09-2018, 07:46 PM
They've played a minging and third bottom Hamilton, caught Celtc cold at home as they rested players pre-Champions League to win by one goal, won by one goal at Killie after Killie had a man sent off and then beat a minging St Mirren side at home after the ref threw them an opening penalty that no-one thought was.

They're carrying a lot of luck and the only thing they have going for them is that winning breeds confidence no matter how or why you win.

We could and should have won against Aberdeen and St Johnston. Today was just an off day.

Four games in is nothing.

coldingham hibs
01-09-2018, 08:41 PM
In my opinion Hearts will finish well above us this season. There was no way they would continue to play second fiddle to us after being embarrassed last season by the points gap. They were always going to throw everything at it to ensure there was no repeat, they had to quell the uprising in their support and will risk everything to ensure it happens, they will break the bank again if need be. It’s all about Hibs to them.

Unfortunately we haven’t been proactive in ensuring we stayed ahead of them, we sat on our laurels and failed to recognise the effect last season had on them.

They have 8k or so donating serious money, there is no way finishing below us again would be acceptable. If Hibs finish top & Hearts 2nd Levein will be sacked, it’s their be all & end all.

We have been naive in preparing for this season and the pressure is building already.

Hermit Crab
01-09-2018, 08:52 PM
That mind the gap song is going to come back and haunt us this season thats for sure.

SideBurns
01-09-2018, 08:54 PM
Some drama queens on here. We don't play Barcelona till October. It's not uncommon for Lennon teams to need a kick up the arse. They'll have got a massive one today. I have the utmost faith in our players, management team and board. Some folk need to calm down. In the last 3 years we've won the cup, been to numerous semis, won promotion, gone 9 unbeaten in derbys, finished 18 points above them, beaten Brondby away, lost (i think) 2 home games in around a year, had our best European run in 20 odd years..the list goes on. We've lost for the first time this season but Lennon will not stand for it. We'll be fine. For once the international break has come at a good time for us. The league finishes in May not the 1st September. Aberdeen, our main rivals for 3rd imo lost at home today. Puts in in perspective. Its still very early in the season.

If we were playing them next week, they wouldn't have to be Barcelona - only Livingston. However, as you say the derby is 31st October. If we have SDG, Daz, Marv & Milligan available then we won't get bullied, at least. Which isn't the same as saying we won't lose, because we might....

I'm Spartacus
01-09-2018, 10:10 PM
We should have been quicker than anybody out the transfer window traps IMO. But no, we sat about for some reason :(

matty_f
01-09-2018, 10:12 PM
That mind the gap song is going to come back and haunt us this season thats for sure.

If they're singing it in May, then it's come back to haunt is. Not after four games.

matty_f
01-09-2018, 10:13 PM
We should have been quicker than anybody out the transfer window traps IMO. But no, we sat about for some reason :(

Eh? We had players in ages ago. Folk were going radge last night because we never had last minute players in.

JohnM1875
01-09-2018, 10:15 PM
If they're singing it in May, then it's come back to haunt is. Not after four games.

7 points after four games though. I'd never have expected that! Especially with the relatively "easy" run in we've had.

But, I agree. It's a marathon, not a sprint. See what happens in May

SChibs
01-09-2018, 10:34 PM
**** the hearts

Dancehibs
02-09-2018, 08:20 AM
Eh? We had players in ages ago. Folk were going radge last night because we never had last minute players in.

We have played 11 competitive games . A key player is Milligan he still isn’t in country. Dempsters much self praised structure has failed. Mathie was still tying to identify targets this week. As confirmed by a director. Shambles. We should have known months ago who we wanted and several back up options

HIBERNIAN-0762
02-09-2018, 08:27 AM
Fty!

Mango Man
02-09-2018, 09:07 AM
I can see them having a good season, they are due one, they have been a laughing stock the last couple of years and it looks like Budge is splashing the cash, sadly this combines with Hibs being in a bit of a transition period, think this euro run has stunted things a bit as well, also the McGinn saga hasn't helped much.

nickwhibs
02-09-2018, 09:11 AM

Exactly. It could come back to haunt them if they're singing after four games

Sammy7nil
02-09-2018, 09:15 AM
They've played a minging and third bottom Hamilton, caught Celtc cold at home as they rested players pre-Champions League to win by one goal, won by one goal at Killie after Killie had a man sent off and then beat a minging St Mirren side at home after the ref threw them an opening penalty that no-one thought was.

They're carrying a lot of luck and the only thing they have going for them is that winning breeds confidence no matter how or why you win.

We could and should have won against Aberdeen and St Johnston. Today was just an off day.

Four games in is nothing.

Yip that's the spirit give them no credit and bury your head, stick your fingers in your ears and go La La La Hearts are better this season they will win the majority of their home games and already i think we will struggle to finish above them. If we played them at the PBS tomorrow i don't think many would have much hope of a Hibs win. We are lightweight up front without Kamberi and we will struggle without him.

calumhibee1
02-09-2018, 09:54 AM
Yip that's the spirit give them no credit and bury your head, stick your fingers in your ears and go La La La Hearts are better this season they will win the majority of their home games and already i think we will struggle to finish above them. If we played them at the PBS tomorrow i don't think many would have much hope of a Hibs win. We are lightweight up front without Kamberi and we will struggle without him.

Agree. People seem desperate to point out the quantity of players they’ve signed and that they have to be crap because of that. There is a couple that probably fit that description, like the two boys who they signed this summer and are already away out on loan.

However, the start they’ve had to the season isn’t pure luck, they’ve won games deservedly by all accounts, two of them by 3 goals, one away against the team in second place and one of them against the champions, from what I seen of that game, probably deservedly. Make no mistake about it, they’ll be better than last year and challenging for top four, mainly due to dropping very little points at Tynecastle.

matty_f
02-09-2018, 10:09 AM
We have played 11 competitive games . A key player is Milligan he still isn’t in country. Dempsters much self praised structure has failed. Mathie was still tying to identify targets this week. As confirmed by a director. Shambles. We should have known months ago who we wanted and several back up options

We're two days and one game after the window closed. It's far too early to say the structure has failed (or succeed).

Milligan was a long term target, better that we wait and get him than move down the list, imho.

It's only a shambles if you're convincing yourself that's the case. Imho, folk have shipped themselves into a frenzy, a mood increased by other people doing the same. You'd think we were heading for relegation this season, rather than being a team that's enjoyed its most successful run in Europe for years.

cabbageandribs1875
02-09-2018, 01:18 PM
7 points? Bad news unfortunately we only have 5. One win, 2 draws, one loss, 5 points. This place is getting worse. :agree:

i think the op meant the....ach no matter

Inconsequential
02-09-2018, 01:21 PM
i think the op meant the....ach no matter Oops! Need to go to specsavers...

cabbageandribs1875
02-09-2018, 01:25 PM
Oops! Need to go to specsavers...

but at least your good at maths :greengrin

Inconsequential
02-09-2018, 01:33 PM
but at least your good at maths :greengrin … and my spelling is better than yours!:agree:

California-Hibs
02-09-2018, 04:03 PM
I find this hilarious, its been 4 bloody games! Let's see where they are come December when they have their winter slide.

SirDavidsNapper
02-09-2018, 04:07 PM
Wonder if Aberdeen and Rangers fans are pant wetting over being 7 points behind Hearts four games in or just us.

jgl07
02-09-2018, 04:10 PM
I don't think that the six Europa League matches did Hibs a lot of favours either.

MWHIBBIES
02-09-2018, 04:15 PM
I don't think that the six Europa League matches did Hibs a lot of favours either.

I think without 6 euro games and the injuries caused in them we're on 12 points as well.

I'm Spartacus
02-09-2018, 04:21 PM
Only the 34 games to go 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡 Folk need to calm down!!

MyJo
02-09-2018, 06:21 PM
I’m assuming everyone wetting themselves about us being 7 points behind Hearts also believe that Watford are going to finish ahead of Man United, Everton and Arsenal in the premiership this season seeing as they are 6 points ahead of those teams already?

lyonhibs
02-09-2018, 06:53 PM
I’m assuming everyone wetting themselves about us being 7 points behind Hearts also believe that Watford are going to finish ahead of Man United, Everton and Arsenal in the premiership this season seeing as they are 6 points ahead of those teams already?

I'm not wetting myself and don't really care about how Hearts are doing, but that is one crap comparison, looking at the relative differences between Watford and those clubs vs. us and Hearts and how that gap is likely to evolve over the course of a whole season.

Beefster
03-09-2018, 05:45 AM

We have played 11 games. Our record in those games is 5 wins, 4 draws and 2 defeats. Doesn’t feel like a crisis to me.

DetroitHibs
03-09-2018, 06:05 AM
Simply didn't invest well enough. Lennon wanted more players, our board felt otherwise. The difference between us and them. They will push the boat out, we simply NEVER do this. They paid Naismith a reported £10,000 a week last season, while we simply weren't willing to push the boat out for Scott Allan. So the lads on £8000 a week.... Pay him, he's worth it. But nope, not our board.

Same old story with Hibs. Build up, get the fans back in numbers, but ALWAYS fail to match the ambitions of those fans. TWICE Neil Lennon has asked for more players in the past two windows, and TWICE he got FA. Neil has a winners mentality unlike the current board. I don't see him sticking around if it continues like this.

flash
03-09-2018, 06:20 AM
Simply didn't invest well enough. Lennon wanted more players, our board felt otherwise. The difference between us and them. They will push the boat out, we simply NEVER do this. They paid Naismith a reported £10,000 a week last season, while we simply weren't willing to push the boat out for Scott Allan. So the lads on £8000 a week.... Pay him, he's worth it. But nope, not our board.

Same old story with Hibs. Build up, get the fans back in numbers, but ALWAYS fail to match the ambitions of those fans. TWICE Neil Lennon has asked for more players in the past two windows, and TWICE he got FA. Neil has a winners mentality unlike the current board. I don't see him sticking around if it continues like this.

Do you think if we gave him 8 grand a week the likes of Milligan and Ambrose, both of whom are of far higher standing in the game, wouldn't expect that too?

jacomo
03-09-2018, 06:32 AM

We seem to have developed a habit of slow starts in recent seasons.

We’ve been unlucky with injuries for sure but we are a little bit on the back foot. I am sure we will improve though.

DetroitHibs
03-09-2018, 06:34 AM
Do you think if we gave him 8 grand a week the likes of Milligan and Ambrose, both of whom are of far higher standing in the game, wouldn't expect that too?

That line was trotted out by the board years ago and seems to have become gospel. I personally think it's the biggest load of pish to keep the fans believing. Do you see other teams players want more or take offense when a player is paid more. Hearts paid Lafferty and Naismith more than guys like Berra and the likes, did you see any ill effects from that? It happens at every club when they push the boat out for a star player.

Northernhibee
03-09-2018, 06:36 AM

What a load of rubbish. We’re spending more on transfer fees than I can remember in years. We’re bringing in higher profile players than I can remember in years.

Allan isn’t worth NEAR £8k a week. You’ve been playing way too much Football Manager.

LancsHibs
03-09-2018, 06:43 AM
Our recruitment this summer I believe has been quite good with who we have brought in, quite happy with that, but it was painfully slow and protracted. This may have been outwith our control?? But this along with some bad luck has cost us by not being properly prepared our place in Europe (for one more round anyway) and a disappointing start to the league season.
It was obvious that McGinn would be sold, we should have taken a wee gamble and used the money to bring players in sooner.
Having said that as we get our new players in playing and players back from injury we are only going to improve

flash
03-09-2018, 06:45 AM
That line was trotted out by the board years ago and seems to have become gospel. I personally think it's the biggest load of pish to keep the fans believing. Do you see other teams players want more or take offense when a player is paid more. Hearts paid Lafferty and Naismith more than guys like Berra and the likes, did you see any ill effects from that? It happens at every club when they push the boat out for a star player.
Not sure a guy who has played for about a year in total in the last 6 would be our star player ahead of the guy who played 3 games in this year's World Cup but there you go.

LancsHibs
03-09-2018, 06:56 AM
Our recruitment this summer I believe has been quite good with who we have brought in, quite happy with that, but it was painfully slow and protracted. This may have been outwith our control?? But this along with some bad luck has cost us by not being properly prepared our place in Europe (for one more round anyway) and a disappointing start to the league season.
It was obvious that McGinn would be sold, we should have taken a wee gamble and used the money to bring players in sooner.
Having said that as we get our new players in playing and players back from injury we are only going to improve

DetroitHibs
03-09-2018, 07:01 AM
Not sure a guy who has played for about a year in total in the last 6 would be our star player ahead of the guy who played 3 games in this year's World Cup but there you go.

Your not sure? I can tell you this much. When Allan has played for us he's always made an impact and been a very good asset for us. As for the other guy... Well he's not pulled on the Green and White yet.

flash
03-09-2018, 07:07 AM
Your not sure? I can tell you this much. When Allan has played for us he's always made an impact and been a very good asset for us. As for the other guy... Well he's not pulled on the Green and White yet.

You see my point though?

calumhibee1
03-09-2018, 07:14 AM

I don’t believe we should have paid Allan £8k a week but there’s no doubt in my mind he’d be our star player after his performances for us last season. If Milligan comes in and is better than Allan has been for us then I’ll be stunned. Delighted, but stunned.

flash
03-09-2018, 07:35 AM
I don’t believe we should have paid Allan £8k a week but there’s no doubt in my mind he’d be our star player after his performances for us last season. If Milligan comes in and is better than Allan has been for us then I’ll be stunned. Delighted, but stunned.
You are missing my point. I simply don't think you can justify paying someone with Scott Allan's CV more than someone with Milligans.

Northernhibee
03-09-2018, 08:10 AM
Scott Allan needs Hibs more than we need him. We have creativity in the likes of Horgan and he’s flopped at every other club than us. We’re a safe choice to get his career back on track.

£8k a week would be scandalous.

calumhibee1
03-09-2018, 08:10 AM
You are missing my point. I simply don't think you can justify paying someone with Scott Allan's CV more than someone with Milligans.

What does the CV really matter? That’s what he’s done elsewhere, it’s what he does at Hibs that counts.

Allan’s performances last season and in his first spell here would be more than enough justification for me to make him our top earner (but not £8k). If we went on CVs then Whittaker should be our top earner quite comfortably as a Europa League finalist with numerous caps and high level club experience, but in reality he shouldn’t be anywhere near it. Paul Hanlon on the other hand you could argue should be one of our lower earners.

flash
03-09-2018, 08:27 AM
What does the CV really matter? That’s what he’s done elsewhere, it’s what he does at Hibs that counts.

Allan’s performances last season and in his first spell here would be more than enough justification for me to make him our top earner (but not £8k). If we went on CVs then Whittaker should be our top earner quite comfortably as a Europa League finalist with numerous caps and high level club experience, but in reality he shouldn’t be anywhere near it. Paul Hanlon on the other hand you could argue should be one of our lower earners.
No way he should be our top earner.

calumhibee1
03-09-2018, 08:33 AM
No way he should be our top earner.

Opinions I suppose. I’d say he’d be our most talented player by a considerable distance, therefore deserving of being the top earner IMO.

KWJ
03-09-2018, 10:46 AM
We had 9 points from 6 games last season. It wouldn't be a surprise if we're ahead of that this time round.

Chic Murray
03-09-2018, 11:01 AM
You should never make predictions until after the September weekend.

Borderhibbie76
03-09-2018, 11:39 AM
I’m assuming everyone wetting themselves about us being 7 points behind Hearts also believe that Watford are going to finish ahead of Man United, Everton and Arsenal in the premiership this season seeing as they are 6 points ahead of those teams already?I agree it's too early to be panicking but that's a dreadful example to use... what I will say is we need to improve dramatically to have a chance of top 4...coz at the moment we don't look that standard to me and I include the St J and Dons games where we were a bit blunt despite enjoying the bulk of the possession.

Borderhibbie76
03-09-2018, 11:43 AM
Having said that as we get our new players in playing and players back from injury we are only going to improveSums up exactly how I feel - spot on. Recruitment was far too slow in the summer I think we had only signed Kamberi by end of June...I understand certain factors were maybe out of our control but we should have been better prepared for the summer window IMO. We got lucky drawing Runavik as the squad was nowhere near ready for a sterner test in the 1st Euro round.

One Day Soon
03-09-2018, 11:54 AM

Come back when ten or fifteen games are played, when their clogging style stats to build the suspensions, when we have all our players fit and eligible, then we'll measure how good they are and how good we are. Until then it's just four games and they've had the breaks. Meh.

Scouse Hibee
03-09-2018, 12:26 PM
What’s this seven points nonsense, let’s just count our own points and not start wetting our pants over them.

Dublin07
03-09-2018, 02:42 PM
They were above us before the first derby last season in October. We finished 18 points above them. Their form won't last and we have not had our first choice team play a single game yet.