PDA

View Full Version : What probably worried me most about today's game....

G B Young
01-09-2018, 05:07 PM
...apart from the bl**dy atrocious result, was that for one of the very few times under Lennon I didn't get the sense we could get back into it. What has characterised Lennon's Hibs is the way we have battled right to the end and very often salvaged a point, or even all three, from games the 'old Hibs' would have lost. Today we seemed to lack a collective desire and ability to recover from going behind. As soon as Livi levelled it seemed only one team was going to go on and win.

Still very early days and some very important players to come back in but mentality plays a big part in fuelling a team's success and today's result will have done nothing for the players' confidence.

Like pretty much everyone else on here, I'm bemused by the fact we've ended up with a smaller squad than the one Lennon previously claimed was 'a bit thin'. I have massive respect for both the manager and Leeann Dempster, but I can't help but feel something significant went wrong during the transfer window that we're not party to (and I don't just mean the fact Scott Allan didn't return). We played our hand very well in getting the best deal possible for McGinn but looking at the squad we have ended up it just seems to that whatever the back-up plan was has not come to full fruition.

Prior to the Molde away game, Lennon talked of it being important in terms of 'our ambitions for the club'. Did losing that game scupper hopes of a significant signing?

scooby
01-09-2018, 05:22 PM
If we had everyone fit and available, we'd probably be ok, but we do look very stretched at the moment.
I think we really needed 2-3 more players in this window, and I fear we're in for a hard season.
Our midfield has been ripped apart, but we don't look to have any balance with the players we have now.
We were rank in the 2nd half today.

madhatter
01-09-2018, 05:24 PM
There is no question if we had beaten Molde, and then potentially qualified for the group stages, we would have been able to get a few "big" signings. However, missing out on that and any potential signings therein should not mean we sign nobody. We have lost 10 players and signed 4 and taken 4 on loan. 2 of the 10 we've lost were our best players in the engine room of our team. Our recruitment team gets a lot of plaudits via articles and interviews but barring our relegation year, the signings every window have been borderline tbh. Might be an unfavourable statement but Fyvie is better than some of the players we have now (in the middle of the park), no question we are going backwards. January window will be massive for us, and I don't think it will be to get us challenging for 3rd-4th, although I hope I'm wrong.

Compare the types of players we got when we were in the Championship - McGinn, McGeouch, Fyvie, Fontaine, Gray etc. against what we are getting now - numbers and quality are down.

I think our recruitment department needs to improve, every window, even under Stubbs has had this "we are waiting to see who is available" feel about it. I have no problem waiting on a couple of players when we have a solid squad but when our squad is threadbare, waiting to see who is available is just silly.

scuttle
01-09-2018, 05:28 PM
IMO we have done our business too slowly, signing players who need work permits and are not up to speed training wise. By the time they are ready we might well be way down the table. We are really short up front and cannot rely on one experienced fit striker and two kids. There might be a few more results like today still ahead

Lago
01-09-2018, 05:54 PM
Roll on the Jan window 😋

GRA
01-09-2018, 05:59 PM
My thoughts exactly. I seldom criticise the team but once we lost the second goal we were awful. Not just because of the misplaced passes and poor crosses. No heart, desire, fight to get back into the game. We accepted defeat. First time I've seen that under Lennon. Hope it is a one off!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Allant1981
01-09-2018, 06:00 PM
IMO we have done our business too slowly, signing players who need work permits and are not up to speed training wise. By the time they are ready we might well be way down the table. We are really short up front and cannot rely on one experienced fit striker and two kids. There might be a few more results like today still ahead

to slowly? bogdan, mallan, maclaren, kamberi, hyndman and horgan were all in pretty early, the other 2 yes but absolutely nothing hibs can do about the length of time it takes to get a visa

scuttle
01-09-2018, 06:13 PM
to slowly? bogdan, mallan, maclaren, kamberi, hyndman and horgan were all in pretty early, the other 2 yes but absolutely nothing hibs can do about the length of time it takes to get a visa

Yes the first few were relatively earl but why were we then still trying to sign players yesterday ?. Never said it was Hibs fault re visas but if they were original transfer targets they should have been in earlier

greenpaper55
01-09-2018, 06:17 PM
Could be worse , what if you were an Aberdeen supporter !

Allant1981
01-09-2018, 06:19 PM
Yes the first few were relatively earl but why were we then still trying to sign players yesterday ?. Never said it was Hibs fault re visas but if they were original transfer targets they should have been in earlier

we wont know if they were original targets or how long these things normally take, he would have still been looking yesterday as most clubs will always look for a wee bit extra quality, i had hoped for another striker but wasn't to be

Dancehibs
01-09-2018, 06:21 PM

Re the visa they let a volunteer handle. It was handled incorrectly hence the delay.

Allant1981
01-09-2018, 06:29 PM
Re the visa they let a volunteer handle. It was handled incorrectly hence the delay.

surely its a standard process? how can that be handled incorrectly? mental

calumhibee1
01-09-2018, 06:38 PM

I know from my work that people can handle absolutely anything incorrectly when it comes to filling in forms etc. I spend half my day at work wondering how the hell people manage to get simple things so wrong :greengrin

Dancehibs
01-09-2018, 06:38 PM

I’m not sure how standard the process is. But it wasn’t submitted correctly

Callum_62
01-09-2018, 08:00 PM
I’m not sure how standard the process is. But it wasn’t submitted correctly

was was wrong/missing?

Ronniekirk
01-09-2018, 09:32 PM
Could be worse , what if you were an Aberdeen supporter !

Or St Mirren Stubbsy coat on a Shoogly Peg already

Daydreamer
01-09-2018, 10:36 PM
There is no question if we had beaten Molde, and then potentially qualified for the group stages, we would have been able to get a few "big" signings. However, missing out on that and any potential signings therein should not mean we sign nobody. We have lost 10 players and signed 4 and taken 4 on loan. 2 of the 10 we've lost were our best players in the engine room of our team. Our recruitment team gets a lot of plaudits via articles and interviews but barring our relegation year, the signings every window have been borderline tbh. Might be an unfavourable statement but Fyvie is better than some of the players we have now (in the middle of the park), no question we are going backwards. January window will be massive for us, and I don't think it will be to get us challenging for 3rd-4th, although I hope I'm wrong.

Compare the types of players we got when we were in the Championship - McGinn, McGeouch, Fyvie, Fontaine, Gray etc. against what we are getting now - numbers and quality are down.

I think our recruitment department needs to improve, every window, even under Stubbs has had this "we are waiting to see who is available" feel about it. I have no problem waiting on a couple of players when we have a solid squad but when our squad is threadbare, waiting to see who is available is just silly.

Do you really believe if we had beaten Molde and got through to play Zenit we would have gotten through to the group stages??

The Harp Awakes
01-09-2018, 11:28 PM
My thoughts exactly. I seldom criticise the team but once we lost the second goal we were awful. Not just because of the misplaced passes and poor crosses. No heart, desire, fight to get back into the game. We accepted defeat. First time I've seen that under Lennon. Hope it is a one off!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Spot on. No heart and desire after the Livi 2nd. A shocking result. Livi were just a bunch of fit, physical motivated guys but with next to zero football ability. The pitch didn't help but a concerning result and performance.