What for the sack or the Sellick job :dunno:

Smartie
01-09-2018, 04:31 PM
My biggest concern right now is Lennon.

He can't be a happy man right now.

The interview will be interesting.

bingo70
01-09-2018, 04:32 PM
Have to say I’m looking forward to hearing what he has to say.

I’m pretty relaxed about yesterday in the transfer window and I can accept today was just a bad day at the office, I suspect Lennon won’t be quite as relaxed though.

coco22
01-09-2018, 04:34 PM
Bound to be raging and understandably so. Pish poor performance and background unrest (allegedly).

Smartie
01-09-2018, 04:35 PM
Have to say I’m looking forward to hearing what he has to say.

I’m pretty relaxed about yesterday in the transfer window and I can accept today was just a bad day at the office, I suspect Lennon won’t be quite as relaxed though.

Some of the transfer business we have done has been good but our squad doesn't look anywhere near complete.

And every single season we will have a bad result and performance like today.

The key is how we bounce back from it.

This International break can't come quickly enough. Lennon needs time with the players to mould something resembling a team, which we really don't have right now.

He doesn't strike me as the type to accept second best.

Callum_62
01-09-2018, 04:36 PM
Whats the background unrest talk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
01-09-2018, 04:37 PM
First question needs to be ‘why did you not sign any midfield battlers this summer’?

DTS
01-09-2018, 04:38 PM
See to be fair he is as much to blame as anyone. He has had 5 transfer windows with us, he picks the players. 5 points from Motherwell Aberdeen saints and livi as far as I’m concerned is not good enough and that falls firmly with him. If we fail to win anymore than one of our next 4 games then he SHOULD be under pressure. Yes he’s fantastic manager but he is not invincible.

stantonhibby
01-09-2018, 04:39 PM
First question needs to be ‘why did you not sign any midfield battlers this summer’?

Apart from Milligan ?

bingo70
01-09-2018, 04:41 PM
Some of the transfer business we have done has been good but our squad doesn't look anywhere near complete.

And every single season we will have a bad result and performance like today.

The key is how we bounce back from it.

This International break can't come quickly enough. Lennon needs time with the players to mould something resembling a team, which we really don't have right now.

He doesn't strike me as the type to accept second best.

Me neither.

There’s almost a feeling of us walking on egg shells with Lennon though, that’s not a criticism of him, there just seems to always be a feeling he could walk if he doesn’t get what he wants. I’m not sure where that comes from?

I wasn’t convinced by him in his first season, he won me over big time last season and I now think he’s the best manager we’ve had in my life time so there’s no question he’ll ‘turn this around’ (can’t be the right phrase after the first league defeat in I don’t know how long).

This interview could be interesting but I’ve no doubts everything will end up alright with him in charge.

GoalsMcGinley
01-09-2018, 04:42 PM
1 win in our last 6 league games gong back to last season. I’m a huge fan of Lennon but he needs to figure out his best 11. Pronto!

Ozyhibby
Apart from Milligan ?

Let’s wait and see. I’m not sure he will be what we need. Either way, we’re into September and he’s not even in the country yet.

bingo70

The cat is saying Lennon was raging Dempster pulled the plug on a deal for Scott Allan.

Not surprised you missed it, hardly been discussed on here. 😜

04Sauzee
01-09-2018, 04:46 PM
1 win in our last 6 league games gong back to last season. I’m a huge fan of Lennon but he needs to figure out his best 11. Pronto!

Maybe he does , maybe he just needs them physically fit, match fit and in the country

MWHIBBIES
01-09-2018, 04:47 PM
He is as much to blame as anyone. We have far better players than Livi and he couldn't get them to win

SingaporeHibs
01-09-2018, 04:48 PM
Lennon wil no doubt be raging after that result but I would think mostly with the players he put on the park. He’ll likely question his own tactics, formation, players he played in certain positions. He’ll likely have an opinion of the pitch as well. He won’t be any happier than the rest of us.
I don’t buy into there being a problem beyond the first team.

GoalsMcGinley
01-09-2018, 04:50 PM
Maybe he does , maybe he just needs them physically fit, match fit and in the country

He’s signed an Australian international 2 weeks ago who hasn’t stepped foot in Scotland since. He’s the one who told Lewis Allan 6 months ago he was free to leave then gave him a new deal in the summer and played him today. He’s the one who let 2 1st team players leave on deadline day and bring no one in. He’s the one who lets a certain player refuse to train on Friday and starts him the following day.

He needs to take some of the blame as well as the players and the board.

He’s no got 2 weeks til our next league game. HUGE amount of work to be done in that time!

bingo70
01-09-2018, 04:50 PM
He is as much to blame as anyone. We have far better players than Livi and he couldn't get them to win

I personally don’t think the manager should get the blame or credit for one off performances.

How we react to this performance and how we do over a period of time is a measure of the management, in individual games there’s very little he can do and he picked a side more than strong enough to beat Livingston today.

matty_f
01-09-2018, 04:52 PM
He’s signed an Australian international 2 weeks ago who hasn’t stepped foot in Scotland since. He’s the one who told Lewis Allan 6 months ago he was free to leave then gave him a new deal in the summer and played him today. He’s the one who let 2 1st team players leave on deadline day and bring no one in. He’s the one who lets a certain player refuse to train on Friday and starts him the following day.

He’s no got 2 weeks til our next league game. HUGE amount of work to be done in that time!

I love a bit of hyperbole as much as the next man, but the 'let two first team players go in the last window and never replaced them line' whilst technically correct, is stretching it a bit.

Neither were regular starters for the first team, and so all that's really happened is we've got two wages off the books.

matty_f
01-09-2018, 04:53 PM
I personally don’t think the manager should get the blame or credit for one off performances.

How we react to this performance and how we do over a period of time is a measure of the management, in individual games there’s very little he can do and he picked a side more than strong enough to beat Livingston today.
A pretty reasonable perspective on things.

Callum_62
01-09-2018, 04:53 PM
Who refused to train yesterday?

Heisenberg
01-09-2018, 04:54 PM

At a guess it’d be Ambrose?

Jdawg
01-09-2018, 04:54 PM

Martin and Swanson would have made zero difference today,

Callum_62
01-09-2018, 04:55 PM

If so no wonder he started him- who else do we have to choose from?

bingo70
01-09-2018, 04:58 PM
If so no wonder he started him- who else do we have to choose from?

Could have gone to a flat back four.

But anyway, I think ‘letting him not train on Friday’ is pushing it a bit, it sounds like he was in talks with a Turkish club that he probably wanted to join.

GoalsMcGinley
01-09-2018, 04:58 PM

Got it in one

J-C
01-09-2018, 05:01 PM
I don't think 3-5-2 suits our squad, it feels unbalanced considering the players at our disposal, playing 3 at the back and then expecting a CH to move forward into the midfield when the opportunity arises isn't the same as actually having a proper midfielder in there, also playing an old RB at DM is inexcusable. he loaded the squad full of attacking midfield options then sits them on the bench, stop pussy footing around and get a team shape that suits our players 4-3-3.

dmc1875
01-09-2018, 05:01 PM
Got it in one

Can you blame him?

Bare in mind there was chat he could be going to Turkey he probably was spending time with his agent?

Hibernian Verse
01-09-2018, 05:03 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkDembele?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Speedway
01-09-2018, 05:08 PM
Not angry at all.

Lennon takes responsibility for loss
FT: Livingston 2-1 Hibernian
Hibernian head coach Neil Lennon was in doubt about what was missing from his team today.

"We got what we deserved second half because the hungrier team won and that’s down to me," he told BBC Scotland. "So I take full responsibility for that performance.

"I thought we were alright in the first half and had decent control of the game and, when we got the goal, I thought that might settle us.

"But the equaliser turned the momentum towards Livingston. But we didn’t do enough in the final third and defensively it was very very poor."

WeeRussell
01-09-2018, 05:10 PM

Hibs.net unrest.

A Hi-Bee
01-09-2018, 05:14 PM
Not angry at all.

Hibernian head coach Neil Lennon was in doubt about what was missing from his team today.

"We got what we deserved second half because the hungrier team won and that’s down to me," he told BBC Scotland. "So I take full responsibility for that performance.

"I thought we were alright in the first half and had decent control of the game and, when we got the goal, I thought that might settle us.

"But the equaliser turned the momentum towards Livingston. But we didn’t do enough in the final third and defensively it was very very poor."

Honest as ever from Neil, sure he will get it sorted in the end, although we may have to wait for the Jan transfer windie.

coco22
01-09-2018, 05:15 PM

I used the phrase, apologies for not replying sooner. Alleged annoyance at missing out on a target. As alluded to, a .net discussion. Still get the impression that there’s a bit of tension growing off the park however fair play to NL for shouldering today...being very fair on the players that didn’t show up today.

J-C
01-09-2018, 05:17 PM
Not angry at all.

So how many times are we going to have a poor defensive display, he went on about Efe etc cutting out the mistakes and schoolboy errors but they till happen. Porteous is still a young lad and will have off days, I don't know if Hanlon is the type to nurture him through games, Efe is Efe and can't be trusted to help Porteous as he makes too many mistakes himself. We continue playing Boyle at wingback but he can't defend when needed, play him as a bloody winger, get a solid back 4 back again.

Dancehibs
His second half subs and tactics were woeful. I’ve said it lots of times the squad lacks height, physicality and aggression. Livvy bulled us and we struggle to win balls in the air

SingaporeHibs
Not angry at all.

That sounds way too sensible. So, he didn’t blame the board, throw his toys out the pram and rant about LD stopping his progress with the first team. Surely if we read between the lines there must be a bigger issue here 🙄. Conspiracy for sure. 2 weeks to get this show back on the road. GGTTH

J-C
01-09-2018, 05:21 PM
I used the phrase, apologies for not replying sooner. Alleged annoyance at missing out on a target. As alluded to, a .net discussion. Still get the impression that there’s a bit of tension growing off the park however fair play to NL for shouldering today...being very fair on the players that didn’t show up today.

I wonder if one of these players sent the text that caused all the ruckus, players want the best available for the team and know what these players bring to the team, they all want to win.

Onion
01-09-2018, 05:22 PM
Not angry at all.

Aye right. That's a line for the press simply to deflect blame/speculation away from some of our players who were woeful. Think the message to the players after the game would have been a tad different :wink:

Northernhibee
01-09-2018, 05:29 PM
Not angry at all.

Full credit to Neil on that one. I've often given him stick for turning on players way too quickly and unjustly but that's candid, honest and straightforward. :aok:

B.H.F.C
01-09-2018, 05:30 PM
His second half subs and tactics were woeful. I’ve said it lots of times the squad lacks height, physicality and aggression. Livvy bulled us and we struggle to win balls in the air

Second half he definitely needs to take his share of the blame.

We were all over the place and part of that came from the subs. Who was meant to be playing where was anyone’s guess.

cabbageandribs1875
01-09-2018, 05:30 PM
Honest as ever from Neil, sure he will get it sorted in the end, although we may have to wait for the Jan transfer windie.

why can't we have a team to match the mighty Livi Lions at any stage of the season

A Hi-Bee
01-09-2018, 05:36 PM
why can't we have a team to match the mighty Livi Lions at any stage of the season

Perhaps because we are in a somewhat reluctant to speculate to accumulate type of play safe scenario where we just about try to stay where we are.

At the same time you would not wish to watch that bunch of clogers all season would you, they are just about as bad as our unwashed lot from the other side of town.

marinello59
01-09-2018, 05:41 PM

We do have a team that should have easily won today. It’s not the boards fault that we lost today, the players and manager are totally responsible.

bingo70
01-09-2018, 05:48 PM
We do have a team that should have easily won today. It’s not the boards fault that we lost today, the players and manager are totally responsible.

This isn’t a dig at you M59 but it was one game. It was one game we lost, it happens.

When as a support did we turn into such spoilt brats that we can’t take a bad performance and result without talking about people being totally responsible?!

Maybe it’s just because I wasn’t there, if you guys have just paid £20 odd quid, more if it’s a family that’s going, I can understand the anger.......in the greater scheme of things though I don’t think it’s anything to get overly annoyed about.

We lost, it happens, better teams than us lose some times.

Baw187
01-09-2018, 05:52 PM
This isn’t a dig at you M59 but it was one game. It was one game we lost, it happens.

When as a support did we turn into such spoilt brats that we can’t take a bad performance and result without talking about people being totally responsible?!

Maybe it’s just because I wasn’t there, if you guys have just paid £20 odd quid, more if it’s a family that’s going, I can understand the anger.......in the greater scheme of things though I don’t think it’s anything to get overly annoyed about.

We lost, it happens, better teams than us lose some times.

Totally agree. The timing and nature of the defeat suits the anti Board agenda though so loads are lapping it up.

Can’t believe the lack of pragmatism in our fan base.

jeffers
01-09-2018, 05:55 PM

Exactly this, and he has to take responsibility for the makeup of our squad. Tin hat on here but Mallan isn't offering enough in general play and yet again Hyndman offered f all.

bingo70
01-09-2018, 05:56 PM
Totally agree. The timing and nature of the defeat suits the anti Board agenda though so loads are lapping it up.

I’m not sure everyone panicking and going radge has an anti board agenda to be honest.

I just think there’s a culture now to take a tantrum when we don’t get our own way. This won’t just be a hibs fan thing, it’s football fans and probably most people in general nowadays.

cabbageandribs1875
01-09-2018, 06:02 PM
Perhaps because we are in a somewhat reluctant to speculate to accumulate type of play safe scenario where we just about try to stay where we are.

At the same time you would not wish to watch that bunch of clogers all season would you, they are just about as bad as our unwashed lot from the other side of town.

i honestly didn't think they were cloggers, and the boy that skipped through our girly defending in the box to score their first goal looked like he was straight out of the Real Madrid team,although i didn't appreciate their defenders lying down smoking cigars all afternoon, the gits :(

trust me, the board are the last of my Targets after todays performance :agree:

Baw187
01-09-2018, 06:03 PM
I’m not sure everyone panicking and going radge has an anti board agenda to be honest.

I just think there’s a culture now to take a tantrum when we don’t get our own way. This won’t just be a hibs fan thing, it’s football fans and probably most people in general nowadays.

Fair comment but a good few are to be honest. The loss is being used as a huge ‘told you so’ about the fact we never brought anymore signings in.

Our performances have been decent to date so not sure why a one off poor one suddenly means we’re doomed.

Hibs90
01-09-2018, 06:06 PM
Fair comment but a good few are to be honest. The loss is being used as a huge ‘told you so’ about the fact we never brought anymore signings in.

Our performances have been decent to date so not sure why a one off poor one suddenly means we’re doomed.

We have been shipping poor goals since April. This is not a one off.

madhatter
01-09-2018, 06:07 PM

Lack of pragmatism in our fan base is due to many years of mismanagement at our club, think that's pretty obvious. We have a very suspicious fan base, and rightly so. The club has been underachieving for pretty much my entire lifetime so why should I be anything other than suspicious...3-4 "decent" years (mainly in the Championship) aren't going to fix that even with a massive Cup win included. It's about building trust, club have started to do that but lets be honest, if we have a bad season with the current squad then the number of STs will plummet. The abuse of trust from years gone by will not be forgotten and failure during a year of perceived low investment in playing staff will not go down well.

It's the same reason why FoH is really succesful and HSL is mediocre. No trust in where our money is going and a perception of us paying for the failure of others (Petrie and Farmer). Being entirely honest, outside of fan ownership, the club need new owners/management at the highest level. Leeann can only do so much. I assume McGinn money is going to facilities again - new pitch. There is a culture of focussing too much on typical business matters - estates. Sometimes it feels we need someone on the board that just says "this is a football club" at every meeting.

calumhibee1
01-09-2018, 06:09 PM
Exactly this, and he has to take responsibility for the makeup of our squad. Tin hat on here but Mallan isn't offering enough in general play and yet again Hyndman offered f all.

I fully expect Hyndman to leave in January having offered absolutely nothing. He’s showed nothing so far to suggest he is any good. He replaced Mallan today who was dreadful and yet didn’t look any better.

whiskas
01-09-2018, 06:14 PM
Lack of pragmatism in our fan base is due to many years of mismanagement at our club, think that's pretty obvious. We have a very suspicious fan base, and rightly so. The club has been underachieving for pretty much my entire lifetime so why should I be anything other than suspicious...3-4 "decent" years (mainly in the Championship) aren't going to fix that even with a massive Cup win included. It's about building trust, club have started to do that but lets be honest, if we have a bad season with the current squad then the number of STs will plummet. The abuse of trust from years gone by will not be forgotten and failure during a year of perceived low investment in playing staff will not go down well.

It's the same reason why FoH is really succesful and HSL is mediocre. No trust in where our money is going and a perception of us paying for the failure of others (Petrie and Farmer). Being entirely honest, outside of fan ownership, the club need new owners/management at the highest level. Leeann can only do so much. I assume McGinn money is going to facilities again - new pitch. There is a culture of focussing too much on typical business matters - estates. Sometimes it feels we need someone on the board that just says "this is a football club" at every meeting.

Sounds about right. Was hoping that with the stadium finished off and the training centre they’d run out of infrastructure projects to ***** cash on

Baw187
01-09-2018, 06:14 PM

That’s a fairly sad state of affairs. It also only seems to rear its head when we play poor and Hearts start to do well. Didn’t hear many gripes last season. ‘What a time to be a Hibby’ was the general sentiment as we lorded it over Hearts.

I’m not going to get in to the Petrie / Farmer discussion again. I agree with many of the points you make about previous miss management but don’t believe there has been much evidence of the board not supporting recent managers and don’t believe it to be the case now.

Borderhibbie76
01-09-2018, 06:18 PM

We lost, it happens, better teams than us lose some times.Coming off the back of such a disappointing week regarding transfers it was always gonna hurt if we lost this one. People are rightly asking questions about our recruitment...we were slow off the mark this summer and we just don't seem to have reacted at all to losing our best player. To top it all off our neighbours are flying with a 100% record so I can understand people's frustrations. And yes it's our 1dt domestic defeat but we now haven't won since the opening day of the season...and a lot of our key players are injured or unfit and no idea when any of them will be back?? Our only defensive minded signing isn't even in the country yet FFS and we have a midfield that is soft and easily bullied. Lots of work ahead before Killie

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

matty_f
01-09-2018, 06:25 PM

Your post, and bingo's that you were replying to, is exactly how I feel as well.

Football isn't and never has been an exact science. Bad teams sometimes beat good teams. Good teams sometimes play badly.

The best teams are the ones who let that happen infrequently, I'd say that's been the case for us for a while. This was always going to be a difficult season for us, to lose McGinn, McGeouch, and Allan at once is a lot to replace, losing one of them would have been difficult enough.

We're a day and a defeat after the window has closed. It tells us nothing about how well or badly the club have done in replacing these players. We'll know soon enough, not after one game.

jeffers
01-09-2018, 06:25 PM
I fully expect Hyndman to leave in January having offered absolutely nothing. He’s showed nothing so far to suggest he is any good. He replaced Mallan today who was dreadful and yet didn’t look any better.

Not all players work out, I accept that and it is still early days, but the suggestion that he was signed in place of Allan is worrying.

J-C
01-09-2018, 06:26 PM

Not all loan players work out, just because he did well at Rangers last time means nowt.

madhatter
01-09-2018, 06:29 PM
That’s a fairly sad state of affairs. It also only seems to rear its head when we play poor and Hearts start to do well. Didn’t hear many gripes last season. ‘What a time to be a Hibby’ was the general sentiment as we lorded it over Hearts.

I’m not going to get in to the Petrie / Farmer discussion again. I agree with many of the points you make about previous miss management but don’t believe there has been much evidence of the board not supporting recent managers and don’t believe it to be the case now.

What do you mean "rear its head"? Football fans pay to support a football club. Football players keep getting paid more and more in England and that affects every league in Europe (if not further afield). This trend has occured after the mismanagement at Hibs - no real debate/discussion to be had on that, pretty much all Hibs fans agree it was mismanagement. The problem is a general football issue, it isn't just Hibs. Arsenal fans are raging because they pay, what £900, for a season ticket, and have been failing massively based on the size of their club...Man Utd fans are raging now because they pay for their ST and are not happy at the product.

Difference at Hibs is we've been woeful for years (most Hibs fan's lifetimes are filled with Hibs underachieving). We didn't experience the Wenger years, we didn't experience the Ferguson years, we've had brief ups and comparitively pay a high ST price for what we get. Inflation and clubs trying to justify increased costs for seeing games is the reason fans are becoming more demanding, suspicious, and fickle. If I pay £400 for a season ticket this year and pay for HSL, and we have record levels of ST holders, a European run, and the sale of our best player, why is our squad getting smaller? A fan of any club would be asking themselves the same question, and they don't have the Petrie and Farmer history...

SeanWilson
01-09-2018, 06:29 PM
Having sat for 90 mins directly behind the man himself, I can 100% say that NL had an idea of how the team should be playing and they were nowhere near the pace. Boyle, Mallan, Lewis (and Garry Parker had to tell him desperately several times) and Jamie were getting it tight throughout the game from a positional point of view. We looked absolutely mediocre today but not sure it can be laid at NL's feet, he tried at least 4 different variations today, players just weren't up to speed.

Smartie
01-09-2018, 06:30 PM
I think we'll see more from a good few players (Hyndman, Mallan, Boyle, Horgan) when we get Kamberi back in the side.

He was the glue that held the whole team together last year.

If we had Scott Allan providing the ammunition I wouldn't be nearly as concerned.

But I think we need to be fair to these players - they may well look different when Flo gets back.

emerald green
01-09-2018, 06:34 PM
Not angry at all.

That's far too often the case from Hibs. Even against what I'd call a "pub team" - NSI Runavik - Hibs contrived to concede 5 goals over the two legs, with 4 goals coming in one match (yes Hibs scored 12).

Conceded 3 goals to Molde, 3 goals to Asteras Tripolis over the 2 legs, clean sheet against Motherwell with Motherwell missing several sitters, 1 goal to St Johnstone, 2 goals to Ross County, 1 goal to Aberdeen, 2 goals to Livingston.

I don't know what the answer is but it's costing Hibs dearly, and if that trend continues all season there will be no top 6 finish this season. This league has become much more competitive with the apparent revival of the Ibrox and Gorgie clubs along with Kilmarnock.

J-C
01-09-2018, 06:43 PM
Having sat for 90 mins directly behind the man himself, I can 100% say that NL had an idea of how the team should be playing and they were nowhere near the pace. Boyle, Mallan, Lewis (and Garry Parker had to tell him desperately several times) and Jamie were getting it tight throughout the game from a positional point of view. We looked absolutely mediocre today but not sure it can be laid at NL's feet, he tried at least 4 different variations today, players just weren't up to speed.

Do you not think he's trying to get us to run before we walk. Surely getting 2 decent team shapes that make us play well and keep us solid at the back should be our priority, is he trying to get us playing like Barca, because if he is we'll fail miserably.

Big L
01-09-2018, 06:44 PM
That's far too often the case from Hibs. Even against what I'd call a "pub team" - NSI Runavik - Hibs contrived to concede 5 goals over the two legs, with 4 goals coming in one match (yes Hibs scored 12).

Conceded 3 goals to Molde, 3 goals to Asteras Tripolis over the 2 legs, clean sheet against Motherwell with Motherwell missing several sitters, 1 goal to St Johnstone, 2 goals to Ross County, 1 goal to Aberdeen, 2 goals to Livingston.

I don't know what the answer is but it's costing Hibs dearly, and if that trend continues all season there will be no top 6 finish this season. This league has become much more competitive with the apparent revival of the Ibrox and Gorgie clubs along with Kilmarnock.

For me, the answer is to stop playing Boyle as a wing back. It's a waste of our best attacking option and a liabilty to defence. What makes it worse is SDG has had a really good start to the season and should play every week.

Paisley Hibby
01-09-2018, 06:44 PM
Imagine them what it'll be like against Hearts - Harry Potter likes his players tall and physical.

Silky
01-09-2018, 06:46 PM

Why will the number of ST's plummet? Have we reached the stage where most fans are now glory hunters only supporting the club through the good times? One perceived bad season and the are away like snow off a dyke! Football is about accepting the good and the bad, Christ we should know that more than most. But ST's plummeting if we have a bad season seems to be bad patter imo. We have no divine right to constant success, yet there is a whiff of self-entitlement about deserting the club when the chips are down. That's poor imo.

Paisley Hibby
01-09-2018, 06:47 PM
For me, the answer is to stop playing Boyle as a wing back. It's a waste of our best attacking option and a liabilty to defence. What makes it worse is SDG has had a really good start to the season and should play every week.
Tricky to do when he's injured?

paul_hfc3
01-09-2018, 06:51 PM
Not angry at all.

I take a lot of encouragement from his words. I was afraid he was going to slate the players or the board. Na fair assessment hopefully just put it down to experience it was a bad game and move on to the next game.

Baw187
01-09-2018, 06:53 PM
What do you mean "rear its head"? Football fans pay to support a football club. Football players keep getting paid more and more in England and that affects every league in Europe (if not further afield). This trend has occured after the mismanagement at Hibs - no real debate/discussion to be had on that, pretty much all Hibs fans agree it was mismanagement. The problem is a general football issue, it isn't just Hibs. Arsenal fans are raging because they pay, what £900, for a season ticket, and have been failing massively based on the size of their club...Man Utd fans are raging now because they pay for their ST and are not happy at the product.

Difference at Hibs is we've been woeful for years (most Hibs fan's lifetimes are filled with Hibs underachieving). We didn't experience the Wenger years, we didn't experience the Ferguson years, we've had brief ups and comparitively pay a high ST price for what we get. Inflation and clubs trying to justify increased costs for seeing games is the reason fans are becoming more demanding, suspicious, and fickle. If I pay £400 for a season ticket this year and pay for HSL, and we have record levels of ST holders, a European run, and the sale of our best player, why is our squad getting smaller? A fan of any club would be asking themselves the same question, and they don't have the Petrie and Farmer history...

You’re comparing apples with tampons drawing similarities to the EPL clubs and us.

The EPL owners are all out to make profit and line their owners pockets at the detriment to the paying fans. Scottish clubs have to be pretty creative just to break even and survive.

Yes we were mismanaged on the footballing side of things but built a brilliant infrastructure for our club. Clearly we’d have rather seen better investment on the pitch over the years but that was then and we can’t change the past.

What I mean by it ‘rearing it’s head’ is that folk who carry this ill feeling towards the board and can’t let it go didn’t preach it at all last season when we were flying high. A less than perfect transfer window then a loss, coupled with Hearts doing well, and suddenly the anti board rhetoric comes back full throttle.

I have no idea why we never signed Allan or anyone else that would have put us in a better position but given there are a number of possible factors, I’m not going to jump to conclusions that it’s some misery board situation. If it is, we’ll soon know as Lennon will be off. I’d prefer to just accept that we just had a mediocre window and didn’t quite manage to get our whole squad sorted out. After 4 years of progress year on year, there was always the chance we’d need to take a step backwards to go forward again. Hearts, who’s board apparently support their managers much more than ours were diabolical for the last year and a half.

Big L
01-09-2018, 06:55 PM
Tricky to do when he's injured?

Then Gray should play when he is fit, but Boyle should play as an attacker, where he does some good, he is not a wing back!

madhatter
01-09-2018, 07:01 PM
Why will the number of ST's plummet? Have we reached the stage where most fans are now glory hunters only supporting the club through the good times? One perceived bad season and the are away like snow off a dyke! Football is about accepting the good and the bad, Christ we should know that more than most. But ST's plummeting if we have a bad season seems to be bad patter imo. We have no divine right to constant success, yet there is a whiff of self-entitlement about deserting the club when the chips are down. That's poor imo.

Define success though, and define deserting. Success is subjective and deserting suggests we are being disloyal. It's our choice to support the club and buy STs, its not our duty. Some fans that are going now have returned due to a feeling of "call to arms", meaning the club has, in their eyes, turned around. Many of these fans will have made financial sacrifices to support Hibs on Saturday once more. If things start going downhill, are we going to call them glory-hunters when they stop turning up? I won't, I assume you willl?

To put it into context, to show supporting Hibs is an individual choice and not some duty - some parents will take their kids, young kids who get overly emotional about the games (not the older variety that scream abuse). During good times this is a positive thing, the kids are bouncing about and are happy - families keep going and many STs get bought. However, if Hibs are heading for a bottom six finish and/or battling to avoid relegation then thats another story, parents may want to avoid going with the kids due to language in the stands, the negative vibe or maybe the kids ask to go to see a Marvel film instead. Glory hunters or not?

ST numbers will plummet at any club in the world if the product isn't right and the cost isn't deemed sensible by the supporters. Added to that personal choice - why would I spend £400 on a Hibs ST when my car has broken down is an easy choice to make when Hibs are doing poorly.

stantonhibby
01-09-2018, 07:07 PM

This has been done to death but FOH was started because there was a real chance of Hearts going out of business. Totally different from HSL

madhatter
01-09-2018, 07:17 PM
You’re comparing apples with tampons drawing similarities to the EPL clubs and us.

The EPL owners are all out to make profit and line their owners pockets at the detriment to the paying fans. Scottish clubs have to be pretty creative just to break even and survive.

Yes we were mismanaged on the footballing side of things but built a brilliant infrastructure for our club. Clearly we’d have rather seen better investment on the pitch over the years but that was then and we can’t change the past.

What I mean by it ‘rearing it’s head’ is that folk who carry this ill feeling towards the board and can’t let it go didn’t preach it at all last season when we were flying high. A less than perfect transfer window then a loss, coupled with Hearts doing well, and suddenly the anti board rhetoric comes back full throttle.

I have no idea why we never signed Allan or anyone else that would have put us in a better position but given there are a number of possible factors, I’m not going to jump to conclusions that it’s some misery board situation. If it is, we’ll soon know as Lennon will be off. I’d prefer to just accept that we just had a mediocre window and didn’t quite manage to get our whole squad sorted out. After 4 years of progress year on year, there was always the chance we’d need to take a step backwards to go forward again. Hearts, who’s board apparently support their managers much more than ours were diabolical for the last year and a half.

You've missed my point though - the "ill feeling towards the board" is not just a Hibs thing and of course it will come and go when the football club succeeds and fails. It is perhaps worse due to our board's history but it is no different to Man Utd and Arsenal situations. If Man Utd win the league this year, the current view of their fans will disappear, if they finish 5th next season, it'll be back in the form of "sack the manager" or "sack the board". Football fans have every right to be like that in my eyes, football would be dead without the loyal fans. Most sports could survive without loyal fans, football couldn't. As an industry it is overly monetized and fans are kept blind to the operation of the club.

"The EPL owners are all out to make profit and line their owners pockets at the detriment to the paying fans." - That is jumping to a conclusion, one that you could say is accurate but one that you couldn't, due to the masking that occurs in football clubs these days, prove 100%. Connecting to that, you also couldn't categorically say that Petrie and Farmer are not doing the same. What company is doing the pitch at EM? Is there a connection to Petrie/Farmer? Money changing hands and the way football clubs mask details makes it very difficult to trust anything that comes out of them - "Undisclosed fee" worked fine when fans weren't paying £400+ on STs and also joining initiatives like FoH and HSL. When things go wrong, expect uproars, we are moving from a model of "supporters" to something that resembles shareholders, this is due to the amount we are spending to support football clubs now - only difference is we don't want dividends, we want success.

madhatter
01-09-2018, 07:22 PM
This has been done to death but FOH was started because there was a real chance of Hearts going out of business. Totally different from HSL

I know that. However, hypothetically, do you believe either Hearts or Hibs could get as many people putting as much money into either of the clubs had it not been preceeded by the Romanov era (challenging at top end of league with internationals and winning most derbies)? I honestly believe if Hearts had been managed by Petrie, and then went to the wall after years of underachievement, they wouldn't have as many direct debits. Having a mini sample of success does a wonderful thing with fans, we're experiencing that ourselves now in a different way - won the cup and then increased ST numbers, average attendances up about 5-6 thousand in 4 years.

londonhibby
01-09-2018, 07:35 PM
Not Lennon, well not directly anyway... it's the defence. We need another two defenders in. Darren's struggling and probably doesn't have a lot of playing time left due to injuries, both our right and left-backs are ageing, with no-one of note to replace them. A dedicated centre-back and a flexible and relatively young full-back should be top priorities.

chrisski33
01-09-2018, 07:51 PM

None just ***** stirring cos we've not started season as expected

CropleyWasGod
01-09-2018, 07:54 PM
You've missed my point though - the "ill feeling towards the board" is not just a Hibs thing and of course it will come and go when the football club succeeds and fails. It is perhaps worse due to our board's history but it is no different to Man Utd and Arsenal situations. If Man Utd win the league this year, the current view of their fans will disappear, if they finish 5th next season, it'll be back in the form of "sack the manager" or "sack the board". Football fans have every right to be like that in my eyes, football would be dead without the loyal fans. Most sports could survive without loyal fans, football couldn't. As an industry it is overly monetized and fans are kept blind to the operation of the club.

"The EPL owners are all out to make profit and line their owners pockets at the detriment to the paying fans." - That is jumping to a conclusion, one that you could say is accurate but one that you couldn't, due to the masking that occurs in football clubs these days, prove 100%. Connecting to that, you also couldn't categorically say that Petrie and Farmer are not doing the same. What company is doing the pitch at EM? Is there a connection to Petrie/Farmer? Money changing hands and the way football clubs mask details makes it very difficult to trust anything that comes out of them - "Undisclosed fee" worked fine when fans weren't paying £400+ on STs and also joining initiatives like FoH and HSL. When things go wrong, expect uproars, we are moving from a model of "supporters" to something that resembles shareholders, this is due to the amount we are spending to support football clubs now - only difference is we don't want dividends, we want success.It's actually very easy to find out the sort of connections you mention. That type of information is in the public domain.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

bingo70
01-09-2018, 07:56 PM
Not angry at all.

Having just watched the interview on hibstv I’m not sure the text transcript of the interview really does it justice.

Imo he was very annoyed at the performance and although he takes responsibility for the performance the players are going to pay for that.

We’ll see a much improved performance against Killie, I’m certain of it.

SneakersO'Toole
01-09-2018, 08:00 PM
Lennon's Hibstv interview now on YouTube.

Hard to argue with any of it.

Smartie
01-09-2018, 08:01 PM
Not Lennon, well not directly anyway... it's the defence. We need another two defenders in. Darren's struggling and probably doesn't have a lot of playing time left due to injuries, both our right and left-backs are ageing, with no-one of note to replace them. A dedicated centre-back and a flexible and relatively young full-back should be top priorities.

I think we need to stop building a team to cover the deficiencies of Efe Ambrose.

Marciano

Gray McGregor/Porteous Hanlon Stevenson

Bartley

Mallan/Hyndman Horgan

Boyle Kamberi Agyepong

Pace, a bit of strength through the middle, flair, target man, defensive fullbacks, solid centre of defence.

We are without some of our most important players right now, it will be interesting to see how we get on once we get them into our side.

dmc1875
01-09-2018, 08:03 PM
I think we need to stop building a team to cover the deficiencies of Efe Ambrose.

Marciano

Bartley

Mallan/Hyndman Horgan

Boyle Kamberi Agyepong

Pace, a bit of strength through the middle, flair, target man, defensive fullbacks, solid centre of defence.

We are without some of our most important players right now, it will be interesting to see how we get on once we get them into our side.

The deficiencies of Efe Ambrose?

Don’t think so - he’s been out best defender the last 18 months or so. We need a more solid foundation but efe being dropped isn’t the answer

hibeerealist
01-09-2018, 08:05 PM

Was nodding my head to most of that .......until you talk about STF, he has saved this club, did all and more than he said he would at outset (after saving us) and has now prepared the way for the club to be fan owned!!!Cannot think of anyone who has done more for the club in the last 40/50 years, maybe ever.

You hit the nail on the head with the trust issue and that is something the board need to keep in mind as we, the supporters, need that connection.

calumhibee1
01-09-2018, 08:06 PM

Don’t think so - he’s been out best defender the last 18 months or so. We need a more solid foundation but efe being dropped isn’t the answer

Efe will always split opinion. I agree with you though, I think he’s our best defender.

He was the best of the back 3 today IMO - although still not great. Porteous and Hanlon were very poor today I thought.

marleyhib
01-09-2018, 08:07 PM

Class footballer , would do a job in midfield too

Smartie
01-09-2018, 08:13 PM

I don't think Bartley plays well with a back 3.

I think we need to work out how to get Gray and Boyle into our team and in their best positions.

I don't think Ambrose plays as well in the middle of a 4 as he does on the right of a 3.

We need to work out how to get as much pace and strength into our team further up the park as possible.

As I see it, playing Efe means we have to compromise too much elsewhere, so I'd be dropping him.

Also, as regards playing him in midfield - we've been crying out for midfielders - if he were to be the solution there, surely he'd have been tried by now?

Ryan69
01-09-2018, 08:18 PM

I don't get how he has not stepped foot here..surely he can train?

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
01-09-2018, 08:20 PM

In would imagine he is not allowed to take up employment- training is a bigger part of a pro footballers 'job' than playing is.

madhatter
01-09-2018, 08:25 PM
Was nodding my head to most of that .......until you talk about STF, he has saved this club, did all and more than he said he would at outset (after saving us) and has now prepared the way for the club to be fan owned!!!Cannot think of anyone who has done more for the club in the last 40/50 years, maybe ever.

You hit the nail on the head with the trust issue and that is something the board need to keep in mind as we, the supporters, need that connection.

I've not got a problem directly with Farmer, and as you say he probably has done more than necessary for the club. However, he has failed the club in a certain way also - there was clearly a time where it looked like Petrie was causing a drastic downfall at the club and yet we stuck with it far too long. Problem was Farmer trusted Petrie to take care of the club. Farmer has also basked in the glory of the club also, rarely attends the games (which I have no immediate objection to, especially now given his age etc.) but still enjoyed his moments with the cup after the club won it. Likewise, I doubt the saving of the club is truly altruistic, it's a legacy building exercise. Club won't be fan owned as it stands, we'll never reach anything beyond a protective shareholding. Again, Farmer has possibly agreed for HSL to become a vehicle for Hibs fans to invest in the club but beyond that, he is still the majority shareholder and hasn't sold his shares or donated them - again creating a legacy probably more than altruism.

Trust was hugely damaged during the Farmer/Petrie era, they knew that and still maintained what they were doing until we got relegated. We are still in a recovery process as far as I'm concerned and that recovery process is being powered by fans. The next few years are critical for the club, mess up badly again and the trust level could actually be worse than before, as more and more fans are putting money into the club now. As I said, it isn't financial dividends members of HSL (etc.) will want, its success. As you say, fans need the trust more than ever. We are putting more and more money into the club at a crucial time, if it is deemed as being wasted then trust will be affected in a huge way.

ekhibee
01-09-2018, 08:27 PM
Having just watched the interview on hibstv I’m not sure the text transcript of the interview really does it justice.

Imo he was very annoyed at the performance and although he takes responsibility for the performance the players are going to pay for that.

We’ll see a much improved performance against Killie, I’m certain of it.
Totally agree, here's the interview for anybody that hasn't seen it.

https://youtu.be/seVPuErIjMQ

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-09-2018, 08:29 PM
Isn't Farmers son taking over when he retires?

Jonnyboy
01-09-2018, 08:37 PM

On Lenny's post match interview with Cliff Pike, Cliff makes reference to Milligan being with the Australian training camp.

One Day
01-09-2018, 10:43 PM
Imagine them what it'll be like against Hearts - Harry Potter likes his players tall and physical.

Hearts will play the same as Livingston today and Aberdeen last week, In your face and physical. Its up to Hibs to prepare for this

J-C
01-09-2018, 10:50 PM
Hearts will play the same as Livingston today and Aberdeen last week, In your face and physical. Its up to Hibs to prepare for this

We don't have the physicality to compete in that type of game, we have no ball winning midfielder, look lightweight and keep shipping stupid goals at the back. How many games is Lennon going to go berserk at this team before they stop the silly mistakes, maybe certain senior players need dropped to make a point but we have nobody to take their place, so at the moment they are undroppable and will still make errors which cost us, another experience CH should have been a target.

rcarter1
01-09-2018, 10:52 PM

Bartley, and I imagine Milligan will help with that. McGinn was both a fighter and a classy player, not sure we have anyone like that right now.

One thing Im happy about is that Lennon wont be sitting back letting everything just fall apart. Wont be easy, but we have to get some points on the board until we can get ourselves back on the front foot. Ill be happy with a bit of scrap and team spirt, forget about targets like 2nd/3rd etc.

MrRobot
02-09-2018, 11:56 AM

2 first team players who barely played in the first team?

Captain Trips
02-09-2018, 12:04 PM
Bartley, and I imagine Milligan will help with that. McGinn was both a fighter and a classy player, not sure we have anyone like that right now.

One thing Im happy about is that Lennon wont be sitting back letting everything just fall apart. Wont be easy, but we have to get some points on the board until we can get ourselves back on the front foot. Ill be happy with a bit of scrap and team spirt, forget about targets like 2nd/3rd etc.

Forget about targets? Is this not the whole point in the season? Hibs set the standard it is up to the club to maintain and try and improve on that. We all have different opinions on rivals for these positions mine hasn't changed even with Hearts top and Gerrard at Sevco who IMO Sevco being way overhyped.

I expect a full push for 2nd week in week out and I expect results to reflect that. You or others might have lower expectations but those are mine. The result yesterday is a shocker.

Chic Murray
02-09-2018, 01:05 PM
Remarkable that the same manager and players have gone from European contenders to Premier League also rans in a matter of a week.

hhibs
02-09-2018, 01:28 PM
I've not got a problem directly with Farmer, and as you say he probably has done more than necessary for the club. However, he has failed the club in a certain way also - there was clearly a time where it looked like Petrie was causing a drastic downfall at the club and yet we stuck with it far too long. Problem was Farmer trusted Petrie to take care of the club. Farmer has also basked in the glory of the club also, rarely attends the games (which I have no immediate objection to, especially now given his age etc.) but still enjoyed his moments with the cup after the club won it. Likewise, I doubt the saving of the club is truly altruistic, it's a legacy building exercise. Club won't be fan owned as it stands, we'll never reach anything beyond a protective shareholding. Again, Farmer has possibly agreed for HSL to become a vehicle for Hibs fans to invest in the club but beyond that, he is still the majority shareholder and hasn't sold his shares or donated them - again creating a legacy probably more than altruism.

Trust was hugely damaged during the Farmer/Petrie era, they knew that and still maintained what they were doing until we got relegated. We are still in a recovery process as far as I'm concerned and that recovery process is being powered by fans. The next few years are critical for the club, mess up badly again and the trust level could actually be worse than before, as more and more fans are putting money into the club now. As I said, it isn't financial dividends members of HSL (etc.) will want, its success. As you say, fans need the trust more than ever. We are putting more and more money into the club at a crucial time, if it is deemed as being wasted then trust will be affected in a huge way.

Fair comment.

J-C
02-09-2018, 02:04 PM
Remarkable that the same manager and players have gone from European contenders to Premier League also rans in a matter of a week.

Not the same, different midfield and a rookie striker

Lago
02-09-2018, 02:24 PM
That is the reality of the situation.

green day
02-09-2018, 02:40 PM
Club won't be fan owned as it stands, we'll never reach anything beyond a protective shareholding. Again, Farmer has possibly agreed for HSL to become a vehicle for Hibs fans to invest in the club but beyond that, he is still the majority shareholder and hasn't sold his shares or donated them - again creating a legacy probably more than altruism.

"Donating the shares" - that is pretty much what he is doing with the HSL cash. If he was in it for the money, he would ask for the HSL money to go into his pocket in exchange for the shares - that doesnt happen.

HSL money goes to Hibs to buy players / pay salaries (not Farmer) and in return HSL get shares which means Farmers percentage ownership is reducing all the time.

There is a reason he wont simply sell his shareholding to any tom dick or vlad - because he doesnt want us to be in the mire again?

Chic Murray
02-09-2018, 04:33 PM
That is the reality of the situation.

Is it realistic?

The way I look at it, either people were too optimistic before or we aren't as bad as we are now

MWHIBBIES
02-09-2018, 04:41 PM

Marciano

Bartley

Mallan/Hyndman Horgan

Boyle Kamberi Agyepong

All that team would do is hoof it because there is no one to take it off the defence and move it forward.

ChicagoHibee
02-09-2018, 04:47 PM

No.

Chic Murray
02-09-2018, 05:11 PM
No.

Help me out pal.

JimBHibees
02-09-2018, 06:19 PM

Milligan. Was more a box to box player needed.

JimBHibees
02-09-2018, 06:25 PM
Got it in one

Sounds like you are stirring.

ekhibee
02-09-2018, 08:02 PM
Just watched some 'highlights', and the defending was poor, but I just wondered if we might have had a penalty for the defender pushing Agyepong? Admittedly it was a short clip.

eastterrace
02-09-2018, 08:25 PM
Just watched some 'highlights', and the defending was poor, but I just wondered if we might have had a penalty for the defender pushing Agyepong? Admittedly it was a short clip.

Yip looked to me as well he was pushed of the ball but the defending of the two goals was woeful

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WeeRussell
03-09-2018, 11:51 AM
Is it realistic?

The way I look at it, either people were too optimistic before or we aren't as bad as we are now

Both. Too many people got over-optimistic about our chances in Europe (don't get me wrong, it was an exciting time!), convinced themselves we should be beating teams like Molde and got upset at being knocked-out after what was a decent European run. A bit of unfortunate timing with the transfer window over-reaction and then a loss to Livi and things have been compounded. It doesn't help that Hearts have made such a good start and so many base our form on where they are (even though they're obsessed with us?)... even at this early stage.

We've a competitive squad. A couple of wins and we'll be brilliant again. And Hibs.net won't be so full of negativity and bickering.

G B Young
03-09-2018, 12:17 PM
Me neither.

There’s almost a feeling of us walking on egg shells with Lennon though, that’s not a criticism of him, there just seems to always be a feeling he could walk if he doesn’t get what he wants. I’m not sure where that comes from?

I wasn’t convinced by him in his first season, he won me over big time last season and I now think he’s the best manager we’ve had in my life time so there’s no question he’ll ‘turn this around’ (can’t be the right phrase after the first league defeat in I don’t know how long).

This interview could be interesting but I’ve no doubts everything will end up alright with him in charge.

I think it's down to the fact he's what you might call a 'big time' manager. By and large we appoint untested young hopefuls, albeit often 'big names' during their playing careers (Stubbs, Collins, Mixu, Mowbray) or guys who've been around a bit as managers but never likely to manage at the top level (Yogi, Calderwood, Williamson, Butcher). The closest comparable appointment to Lennon over the last 25 years was McLeish, a big time player and a guy with a bit of managerial experience. However, he came from Motherwell while Lennon kicked off his managerial career with Celtic. Despite his forgettable spell at Bolton I was still pretty amazed when we landed him as manager. He continues to carry that 'big time' air about him and I would guess he still aspires to manage at a higher level again. That, IMHO, is why we're in pretty safe hands with him at the helm as he won't want to blot his copybook and will ensure we remain competitive at the right end of the league. The only way I see him leaving at present is if he were to walk out over a disagreement with the board, but as far as I'm aware his relationship with Dempster is first class.