PDA

View Full Version : Board

AugustaHibs
01-09-2018, 04:03 PM
Hope they’re happy.

Diclonius
01-09-2018, 04:05 PM
Repeating the same mistakes they made ten years ago.

bodhibs
01-09-2018, 04:05 PM
Hope they’re happy.

Lol, you think they never tried?

lord bunberry
01-09-2018, 04:06 PM

They should’ve tried harder.

SirDavidsNapper
Ffs

bodhibs
Mentalness, chill

AugustaHibs
01-09-2018, 04:07 PM
Tried that hard we had to play Lewis Allan up front. Open your eyes for **** sake

bodhibs
01-09-2018, 04:07 PM
Tried that hard we had to play Lewis Allan up front. Open your eyes for **** sake

Did we have to though?

marinello59
01-09-2018, 04:08 PM
Our first league defeat in how long?

Ozyhibby
01-09-2018, 04:08 PM

And Whittaker is our new midfield linchpin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RMQ1967
01-09-2018, 04:09 PM

One of the bright points of the day. What game were you watching?

Hibs90
Did we have to though?

If you are happy with mediocrity bash on.

AugustaHibs
Whittaker should hang up the boots. Disgraceful footballer and don’t think I’ve seen a worse performance under lennon

AugustaHibs
01-09-2018, 04:10 PM
One of the bright points of the day. What game were you watching?

I’m not saying he wasn’t. He actually played not bad, but the reality is he shouldn’t be starting?

Not hard to comprehend

bodhibs
01-09-2018, 04:11 PM
If you are happy with mediocrity bash on.

No, not happy but there's a bigger picture and I believe we will be fine 😉

biscuitersed75
01-09-2018, 04:12 PM
I’m not saying he wasn’t. He actually played not bad, but the reality is he shouldn’t be starting?

Not hard to comprehendWhy shouldnt he be starting?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

we are hibs
01-09-2018, 04:12 PM

First league defeat since the hearts game. So first in 5 games. What's your point? We shouldn't be losing to Livingston. It's ridiculous people are trying to make excuses for the team/club after the last few days. Do you people walk about with your eyes shut pretending everything is okay?

marinello59
01-09-2018, 04:19 PM
First league defeat since the hearts game. So first in 5 games. What's your point? We shouldn't be losing to Livingston. It's ridiculous people are trying to make excuses for the team/club after the last few days. Do you people walk about with your eyes shut pretending everything is okay?

No, we shouldn’t be losing to Livingston with the squad we have and the players we had on the park today. It’s a sore one. It’s our first league defeat in ages though. If we go on a run of results like that then Ill be asking questions. We are nowhere near that point yet.

Keith_M
01-09-2018, 04:22 PM

Last 6 league games:

Hearts 2-1 Hibs
Hibs 5-5 Rangers
---------------------------
Hibs 3-0 Motherwell
St Johnstone 1-1 Hibs
Hibs 1-1 Aberdeen
Livi 2-1 Hibs

TheMentalHibees
01-09-2018, 04:22 PM
Midfield didn’t protect the defence and didn’t create any chances. What were they doing all day?

We all expected McGinn and McGeouch to leave, why were we not prepared?

RossScott1991
01-09-2018, 04:23 PM
People keep saying first defeat in ages. but last season when we had our midfield. This season it's one win in four, with a defeat away to a bunch if cloggers newly promoted livi.

Spike Mandela
01-09-2018, 04:23 PM
Last 6 league games:

Hearts 2-1 Hibs
Hibs 5-5 Rangers
Hibs 3-0 Killie
St Johnstone 1-1 Hibs
Hibs 1-1 Aberdeen
Livi 2-1 Hibs

Motherwell not Killie.

Keith_M
01-09-2018, 04:25 PM
Motherwell not Killie.

Sorry, brainfart, I'll correct it.

Golden Bear
01-09-2018, 04:26 PM
Hope they’re happy.

Aye, it's all their fault right enough.

:rolleyes:

MWHIBBIES
01-09-2018, 04:27 PM
Lennon picked the team and has had 5 transfer windows. Not the boards fault.

bodhibs
01-09-2018, 04:28 PM
Last 6 league games:

Hearts 2-1 Hibs
Hibs 5-5 Rangers
Hibs 3-0 Killie
St Johnstone 1-1 Hibs
Hibs 1-1 Aberdeen
Livi 2-1 Hibs

How far apart were these games? First 3 with SJM and massive changes throughout since. Nice use of colours though

Keith_M
01-09-2018, 04:31 PM
How far apart were these games? First 3 with SJM and massive changes throughout since. Nice use of colours though

I didn't infer anything, I just answered the question asked... using nice colours

:wink:

Slim Shady
01-09-2018, 04:33 PM
Lennon picked the team and has had 5 transfer windows. Not the boards fault.

It is when we they don’t back him considering the increase in turnover.

It’s ok for Rod to continue lifting a wage of £500k a year though whilst we continue to pay back our loans to STF

SingaporeHibs
01-09-2018, 04:34 PM
Unhappy yes but how can we blame the board? This result comes straight after we were all surprised not to sign 1 or 2 y’day. None of us know what went on or not y’day, who were we trying to sign if anyone?
Did Lennon not suggest he wasn’t trying to sign Allan? Likely because we already have a couple signed that would naturally play in that type of position if played in their best position.
This season was always going to be the biggest test of Lennon so far as for the first time this really will be a team that’s mostly filled with players he brings in.
For me there are too many similar types of players in the squad. But yet we are missing 5/6 players that would have started today if not injured or waiting on paperwork. Too early to panic. But we got to improve and quickly.

MWHIBBIES
01-09-2018, 04:35 PM

It’s ok for Rod to continue lifting a wage of £500k a year though whilst we continue to pay back our loans to STF

They have backed him, we've signed plenty of players.

Northernhibee
01-09-2018, 04:44 PM

Fee commanding players at that.

matty_f
01-09-2018, 04:45 PM

But we didn't do it on the last day, so they don't count.

Today's result was terrible, but it doesn't meant that our transfer window was terrible or that we'll have a terrible season.

People who were raging last night will feel vindicated today but actually today didn't tell us whether or window was good or bad - same as if we'd have won.

We'll know going into Christmas-time whether or not recruitment was good enough, not after one game the day after the window closed.

marinello59
01-09-2018, 04:48 PM

Not hard to comprehend

So he played well but shouldn’t have been picked. OK, that makes sense.

mentalhibee
01-09-2018, 04:48 PM
Why where we scrambling about releasing players and trying to sign players on the last day of the window? Should have had players in and released before we started the European fixtures never mind the league campaign.

staunchhibby
01-09-2018, 04:49 PM
Lennon picks the team notthe board:

Danderhall Hibs
01-09-2018, 04:51 PM
So he played well but shouldn’t have been picked. OK, that makes sense.

:tee hee:

Scotty Leither
01-09-2018, 04:51 PM

Today's result was terrible, but it doesn't meant that our transfer window was terrible or that we'll have a terrible season.

People who were raging last night will feel vindicated today but actually today didn't tell us whether or window was good or bad - same as if we'd have won.

We'll know going into Christmas-time whether or not recruitment was good enough, not after one game the day after the window closed.

And at Christmas time it looks like we'll still be relying on laddies in the key role of centre toward having to battle it out with the bruisers that pass as footballers in this league.

As we were incidentally at Tynecastle in the Cup last January - so a year to address it is it?

No, just not good enough, but I daresay you'll hear nowt from the ivory tower at Easter Road until the next time they're wanting money off the fans.

01-09-2018, 04:52 PM

On what planet is Petrie getting a wage of £500k?

PiemanP
01-09-2018, 04:52 PM
13.5k season tickets, >£2m for McGinn, a decent run in Europe, money not spend on McGinn and Mcgeoch’s likely high wages.

Yes Kamberi, Milligan, Horgan and MacLaren will all have cost decent money in wages but it does feel like we needed to push the budget for another quality striker and probably a wing back or midfielder.

Underwhelmed.

A Hi-Bee
01-09-2018, 04:56 PM

To tell you the truth I could not even name the Hibs Board, they are almost like invisible, apart from Peetrie, L.D. and the 2 so called "Fans Reps" although it would be interesting in these days of tranceparency to know just how much in renumeration be that expences or otherwise the board take out of the club on a yearly basis, also is any payments linked to performance. Is it all lumped together in the end of year accounts?
I my humble Petrie should be paying Hibs for the honour of still being there.

hibbydog
01-09-2018, 04:57 PM
A thread questioning the board after a league defeat?

FFS

We’ve lost a game. Nobody is dead and there’s no need to panic, wet the bed or burn the stadium down.

If we’d won 3-0 would there be threads praising the board and their brilliant running of the club?

Far too early to draw conclusions on how we’ll fare this year.

In the meantime, those who want to be drama queens can fill their boots.

Jim44
01-09-2018, 04:57 PM
Midfield didn’t protect the defence and didn’t create any chances. What were they doing all day?

We all expected McGinn and McGeouch to leave, why were we not prepared?

McGinn and to a lesser degree McGeoch and Allan were special. They’ve sort of been replaced with decent players but not special players. Either we couldn’t source suitable replacements or the board was unwilling to go the extra mile to bring in good enough quality to bridge the gap.

SingaporeHibs
01-09-2018, 05:02 PM
Can’t remember if the board were to blame for the humping Hamilton gave us at about the same time last season.

CropleyWasGod
01-09-2018, 05:03 PM
To tell you the truth I could not even name the Hibs Board, they are almost like invisible, apart from Peetrie, L.D. and the 2 so called "Fans Reps" although it would be interesting in these days of tranceparency to know just how much in renumeration be that expences or otherwise the board take out of the club on a yearly basis, also is any payments linked to performance. Is it all lumped together in the end of year accounts?
I my humble Petrie should be paying Hibs for the honour of still being there.

The Hibs board are all named on the club website. It's not hard to find.

As for salaries, only 2 of them take one. Leanne gets about 150k and Jamie Marwick about 100k. Nobody else gets paid anything.

And yes, there are performance related bonuses.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

CRAZYHIBBY
01-09-2018, 05:04 PM
I think they are saving the money for the full sized training pitch which is great but the money should be going to the team.

matty_f
01-09-2018, 05:04 PM
And at Christmas time it looks like we'll still be relying on laddies in the key role of centre toward having to battle it out with the bruisers that pass as footballers in this league.

As we were incidentally at Tynecastle in the Cup last January - so a year to address it is it?

No, just not good enough, but I daresay you'll hear nowt from the ivory tower at Easter Road until the next time they're wanting money off the fans.

By Christmas I'd expect Kamberi and Maclaren to have had a run in the team together.

I'd expect Bartley, Milligan, Agpeyong, Marciano, McGregor and Hyndman to be available and up to speed.

You point to last January as a low point and at it's taken a year to address it, our post January form was fantastic so your point just doesn't make sense.

matty_f
01-09-2018, 05:05 PM
Can’t remember if the board were to blame for the humping Hamilton gave us at about the same time last season.

No that was because we hadn't replaced McGinn and McGeouch properly, wasn't it?

marinello59
01-09-2018, 05:07 PM

I’m no fan of Petrie, he should have left the day we were relegated. But you have just made up the £500k bit.
The board did back the manager, take a look at the list of signings we have made.

A Hi-Bee
01-09-2018, 05:08 PM

As for salaries, only 2 of them take one. Leanne gets about 150k and Jamie Marwick about 100k. Nobody else gets paid anything.

Thanks for that Crops just lazyness on my part, not bothering to look them up.
Does Peetrie pay anything to the club for us allowing him to stay and wear his blazer.

CropleyWasGod
01-09-2018, 05:12 PM
Thanks for that Crops just lazyness on my part, not bothering to look them up.
Does Peetrie pay anything to the club for us allowing him to stay and wear his blazer.500k a year

Scotty Leither
01-09-2018, 05:12 PM
You point to last January as a low point and at it's taken a year to address it, our post January form was fantastic so your point just doesn't make sense.[/QUOTE]

Nah sorry Matty, it does. We went into a massive game with that lot shorthanded in a key position and lost.

Stephen Dunn dismissed that point at a work together meeting in January as "everybody's just a bit sore at losing to Hearts", yet here we are again losing ground in the League due to the same issues as our Board either can t or stubbornly won't commit to spending the funds needed.

Golden Bear
01-09-2018, 05:16 PM
Regardless of the disappointing transfer window, we surely had enough player resources to beat Livvy? I wasn't there today so can't comment on the inadequacies of the actual performance on the park but the opinions seem to suggest that the team are just not knitting together at the the moment and that is hardly the Board's fault.

A Hi-Bee
01-09-2018, 05:16 PM
500k a year

Nice one.

matty_f
01-09-2018, 05:23 PM
You point to last January as a low point and at it's taken a year to address it, our post January form was fantastic so your point just doesn't make sense.

Nah sorry Matty, it does. We went into a massive game with that lot shorthanded in a key position and lost.

Stephen Dunn dismissed that point at a work together meeting in January as "everybody's just a bit sore at losing to Hearts", yet here we are again losing ground in the League due to the same issues as our Board either can t or stubbornly won't commit to spending the funds needed.[/QUOTE]
Picking out two or three games in isolation doesn't prove the point.

Over the course from that Hearts match (and before) until now we've been very well served for quality players. Also, Lennon has a duty to give youth players game time.

I'm at a loss to work out how anyone objectively looking at our signings this window can say that Lennon hasn't been backed.

whiskas
01-09-2018, 05:25 PM
I blame the board for us not having Scott Allan signed up and for 2 of our 3 strikers in the squad today being development team youngsters. I commend them for securing Maclaren and Kamberi. And I blame Lennon for underestimating Livingston and playing a weakened team against them.

Greenbeard
01-09-2018, 05:26 PM

Is there a published strategy/business plan?

judas
01-09-2018, 05:41 PM
Hope they’re happy.

Lennon keeps saying that he’s delighted with the support he’s getting from the board.

Is there a block morons setting?

matty_f
01-09-2018, 05:41 PM
Is there a published strategy/business plan?

It's not published as far as I know, but there's 100% a business plan/strategy. I have seen it, first hand, talked through by Leeann Dempster (I interviewed her for a blog and she showed me the strategy before we started, we didn't go into the minutia of it but it was borne from work that the Working Together group did).

Scotty Leither
01-09-2018, 05:43 PM

Alright Matty I'll come back one more time - we're now hoping for Kamberi to come back fully fit - if he doesn't, or gets injured again, we're down to the laddies again until Xmas, which is more than "two or three games".

BegbieHSC
01-09-2018, 05:49 PM
Changed days when people think the board are untouchable these days.

Overall, they’re going a great job for us, but they really need to have a look at themselves, and actually back Lenny properly in the next transfer window.

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-09-2018, 05:49 PM
We constantly laugh at Celtic's biscuit tin mentallity and yet here we have it on our doorstep.

It's just not good enough and if they are not careful Lennon may walk, then what?

What on earth will we do then?

Greenbeard
01-09-2018, 05:50 PM
It's not published as far as I know, but there's 100% a business plan/strategy. I have seen it, first hand, talked through by Leeann Dempster (I interviewed her for a blog and she showed me the strategy before we started, we didn't go into the minutia of it but it was borne from work that the Working Together group did).
A secret strategy then?
Got a link to that blog (if it was strategy related)?
What gets presented to the AGM each year?

BegbieHSC
01-09-2018, 05:50 PM
Lennon keeps saying that he’s delighted with the support he’s getting from the board.

Is there a block morons setting?

The board are Lennon’s bosses? You can’t expect him to stick the boot in regularly. I don’t expect him to be happy at present.

HFC 0-7
01-09-2018, 05:51 PM

Who cares! This sort of argument is brutal. Our own manager doesn’t accept these performances, including the draws, why should we? We were humpty today, have shown our weaknesses already this season and not fixed them in the transfer window.

pacoluna
01-09-2018, 05:51 PM
Not one for criticizing the board but Where's the money for Mcginn gone? Lennon says we have missed out on a couple of players, the reason must be due to not pushing the boat out financially wise.

HoboHarry
01-09-2018, 05:52 PM
We constantly laugh at Celtic's biscuit tin mentallity and yet here we have it on our doorstep.

It's just not good enough and if they are not careful Lennon may walk, then what?

Appoint a new manager and move on the same way as every club does and has always done......

matty_f
01-09-2018, 05:58 PM

Alright Matty I'll come back one more time - we're now hoping for Kamberi to come back fully fit - if he doesn't, or gets injured again, we're down to the laddies again until Xmas, which is more than "two or three games".

If Kamberi doesn't get fit (why wouldn't he?) then we're looking at using Shaw (who needs games) or Boyle, or changing formation to suit.

Do you know whether it was the case that we could have spent what we spent on Kamberi but spread it over two experienced (but not as good) strikers? Would that have been preferable to spending what we did on Kamberi and relying on him?

I don't know. My guess is that Lennon, George Craig, and Dempster felt that we'd rather have the quality in the first eleven and look to our youth if we had to.

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-09-2018, 05:58 PM
Appoint a new manager and move on the same way as every club does and has always done......

Who then Harry? Wee ginger baws?

matty_f
01-09-2018, 06:01 PM
A secret strategy then?
Got a link to that blog (if it was strategy related)?
What gets presented to the AGM each year?
https://hibscomebackison.blogspot.com/2015/10/changing-times-interview-with-leeann.html?m=1

HoboHarry
01-09-2018, 06:02 PM
Who then Harry? Wee ginger baws?
I have no idea and I don't want NL to leave but if he did we would move on with a new manager.

Viva_Palmeiras
01-09-2018, 06:05 PM

It’s worth noting that the so called “biscuit tin mentality” took Celtic and Hibs on a different trajectory from the lemmings.

Allant1981
01-09-2018, 06:05 PM
13.5k season tickets, >£2m for McGinn, a decent run in Europe, money not spend on McGinn and Mcgeoch’s likely high wages.

Yes Kamberi, Milligan, Horgan and MacLaren will all have cost decent money in wages but it does feel like we needed to push the budget for another quality striker and probably a wing back or midfielder.

Underwhelmed.

only downside is then we have to many players in the squad when they are all fit(seems like never just now though) and they start getting huffy as they aren't playing as much

West lower
01-09-2018, 06:08 PM

Here we go. It’s all Rod’s fault again.

Joe6-2
01-09-2018, 06:10 PM

Livingston! A goal up!

Brightside
01-09-2018, 06:14 PM
Hope they’re happy.

The board have backed Neil 100%

whiskas
01-09-2018, 06:16 PM
The board have backed Neil 100%

If that’s the case why is Scott Allan still a Celtic player?

Brightside
01-09-2018, 06:18 PM
If that’s the case why is Scott Allan still a Celtic player?

Because he wants 8k a week.

Viva_Palmeiras
01-09-2018, 06:19 PM
Here we go. It’s all Rod’s fault again.

What’s the fact-check on the £500k salary - thought he wasn’t taking a salary (but doing 2 roles) then Leeann came charging in to shake things up?

Diclonius
01-09-2018, 06:23 PM
We were told time and time again during the ***** years that if we paid up and bought loads of season tickets there'd be more money for the team. We sold very few STs and got mostly loans and free transfers.

7-8 years later the fans buy STs in record numbers, eclipsing records set years before and the board reward us by signing... Mostly loans and free transfers.

Hmm.

whiskas
01-09-2018, 06:23 PM
Because he wants 8k a week.

With our season ticket sales, the money from McGinn, and having recently lightened our wage bill by releasing Swanson and Martin we should be able to afford it tbh (or at least meet him halfway and give him a decent signing on fee and 5K a week).
8K a week is about 400K a year, Edinburgh University pay their Principal more than that!

Greenbeard
01-09-2018, 06:26 PM
https://hibscomebackison.blogspot.com/2015/10/changing-times-interview-with-leeann.html?m=1
Cheers. Three years ago I note. Also note that the ST target of 10k from then has been well exceeded.
Time for a follow-up interview and blog giving insight into the Board's updated strategy now we are a Prem team again? Maybe as a teaser to the Financial Statements which judging by this link will be due out late Nov?
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/8130

HoboHarry
01-09-2018, 06:28 PM
With our season ticket sales, the money from McGinn, and having recently lightened our wage bill by releasing Swanson and Martin we should be able to afford it tbh (or at least meet him halfway and give him a decent signing on fee and 5K a week).
8K a week is about 400K a year, Edinburgh University pay their Principal more than that!
Hardly a relevant argument when there is a pay structure in place for all of the team. A Principal holds a specific position with the University, Scott Allan may be a good player but if Hibs paid him that much why would our current internationals not demand the same pay level given that Allan is not even an international? Quick route to the same financial mess that Sevco and Heats got into....

West lower
01-09-2018, 06:30 PM
What’s the fact-check on the £500k salary - thought he wasn’t taking a salary (but doing 2 roles) then Leeann came charging in to shake things up?

No idea. I was just responding to the other post. It’s amazing how all the bad stuff at the club is always his fault. Anyone who thinks Rodders is on £500000 salary is mental.

BegbieHSC
01-09-2018, 06:34 PM
My view is I think the board are doing well for us - very well.

My main concern is, their ambitions for the club THIS SEASON do not match Lenny’s, or the fans ambitions.

Dempster’s comment on Hibs progress last season being “ahead of schedule” is concerning to a degree.

Don’t get my wrong, Dempster is amazing, and I can’t thank her enough for what she’s done for the club. I just feel we’re missing that ambition for this season to take us to another level. That lack of ambition could hinder our progress, and we won’t manage to keep ahold of the best manager we’ve had at the club since Turnbull.

matty_f
01-09-2018, 06:35 PM

Do you know how much we spent getting all the players we signed in?

I'm not saying you're wrong, just seeing a lot of people imply we've not spent money that we have had in, but I've not seen anything referencing how much we have spent.

Could it be that things have cost more than we think?

whiskas
01-09-2018, 06:38 PM

I'm not saying you're wrong, just seeing a lot of people imply we've not spent money that we have had in, but I've not seen anything referencing how much we have spent.

Indeed, for all we know we’ve pushed the boat out and Maclaren, Kamberi, Milligan, Horgan etc are on wages in this ballpark already. And players like Ambrose and even Whittaker won’t be in buttons

calumhibee1
01-09-2018, 06:40 PM
My view is I think the board are doing well for us - very well.

My main concern is, their ambitions for the club THIS SEASON do not match Lenny’s, or the fans ambitions.

Dempster’s comment on Hibs progress last season being “ahead of schedule” is concerning to a degree.

Don’t get my wrong, Dempster is amazing, and I can’t thank her enough for what she’s done for the club. I just feel we’re missing that ambition for this season to take us to another level. That lack of ambition could hinder our progress, and we won’t manage to keep ahold of the best manager we’ve had at the club since Turnbull.

I didn’t see LD say that but even if we were ahead of schedule last year that should lead to the schedule for future years being revised to reflect the fact we’re further on than expected (it may well have been).

CropleyWasGod
01-09-2018, 06:47 PM
What’s the fact-check on the £500k salary - thought he wasn’t taking a salary (but doing 2 roles) then Leeann came charging in to shake things up?There's no truth in it whatsoever.

Golden Bear
01-09-2018, 06:48 PM
Ah never mind, once HSL get their representatives on the Board all will be bright and shining.

One Day Soon
01-09-2018, 08:14 PM

:rotflmao:

One Day Soon
01-09-2018, 08:18 PM

Today's result was terrible, but it doesn't meant that our transfer window was terrible or that we'll have a terrible season

That's just not good enough. Your post reeks of a lack of knee jerk judgment.

One Day Soon
01-09-2018, 08:20 PM
Why where we scrambling about releasing players and trying to sign players on the last day of the window? Should have had players in and released before we started the European fixtures never mind the league campaign.

Because, obviously, the whole McGeouch and McGinn situation was uncertain and meant that who we might or might not be able to afford to sign or want or need to sign was dependent upon resolving that. I can't believe this even needs pointing out.

HFC 0-7
01-09-2018, 08:22 PM

If it’s cost more than we think for what we have brought in vs what has gone out then someone isn’t very good at their job!

One Day Soon
01-09-2018, 08:23 PM
to tell you the truth i could not even name the hibs board, they are almost like invisible, apart from peetrie, l.d. And the 2 so called "fans reps" although it would be interesting in these days of tranceparency to know just how much in renumeration be that expences or otherwise the board take out of the club on a yearly basis, also is any payments linked to performance. Is it all lumped together in the end of year accounts?
i my humble petrie should be paying hibs for the honour of still being there.

wtf?

matty_f
01-09-2018, 08:27 PM
If it’s cost more than we think for what we have brought in vs what has gone out then someone isn’t very good at their job!

I would guess that our wage bill has increased a fair bit over last season's, I don't think we have spent all the money that came in, however I think that the money will be spent over a few years to cover the cost of these contracts.

tamig
01-09-2018, 08:27 PM
Ah never mind, once HSL get their representatives on the Board all will be bright and shining.

Whats your point here?

Sir David Gray
01-09-2018, 08:58 PM
We were told time and time again during the ***** years that if we paid up and bought loads of season tickets there'd be more money for the team. We sold very few STs and got mostly loans and free transfers.

7-8 years later the fans buy STs in record numbers, eclipsing records set years before and the board reward us by signing... Mostly loans and free transfers.

Hmm.

The Kamberi, Mallan and Horgan signings all involved transfer fees.

I can't remember the last time we paid money to sign three players in the one window.

As for the loans and free transfers, surely you're not comparing Jamie Maclaren and Mark Milligan to Valdas Trakys and Darryl Duffy?

marinello59
01-09-2018, 09:02 PM
Who cares! This sort of argument is brutal. Our own manager doesn’t accept these performances, including the draws, why should we? We were humpty today, have shown our weaknesses already this season and not fixed them in the transfer window.

We’re did I say I accepted the result. It was horrendous and given the superior players we have compared to them should not happen.

Scotty Leither
01-09-2018, 09:03 PM
I think we need change at the top to try and change the mindset of the club which appears to be happy with one good season in ten. I think Rod and the rest of the Board have ran their race, to be honest.

PatHead
01-09-2018, 09:04 PM
Think you will find Leeann has her own team already

Scotty Leither
01-09-2018, 09:05 PM
Think you will find Leeann has her own team already

Who are they Kev?

lyonhibs
01-09-2018, 09:06 PM
I think we need change at the top to try and change the mindset of the club which appears to be happy with one good season in ten. I think Rod and the rest of the Board have ran their race, to be honest.

What actual evidence do you have that the upper levels of management are actively "happy" for us to be 1 good season in 10. I'm dying to know where this "smoking gun" dossier is as you're not the first person to post a similar belief that the board like to see us lose more often than not.

theonlywayisup
01-09-2018, 09:08 PM

Crap thread. How do you know LD is squeaky clean? Why is it suddenly Rod's fault. Maybe Lennon couldn't get the players he wanted.

JohnM1875
01-09-2018, 09:09 PM
Because, obviously, the whole McGeouch and McGinn situation was uncertain and meant that who we might or might not be able to afford to sign or want or need to sign was dependent upon resolving that. I can't believe this even needs pointing out.

I honestly don't think either the McGinn or McGeouch saga was uncertain though. I could have told you before the end of last season they'd be off this window. Was glaringly obvious!

We also claim to have this great recruitment team in place who identify players for rolls and suitability etc. We're happy to show a PR team around and have a video on the DR website. So, surely if they were doing their job we'd have planned for SJM and Dylan's departure ages ago!

We recruited poorly this transfer window. Doesn't mean we'll have a bad season though. Team just needs time to train and play together and I'm sure we'll be fine.

PatHead
01-09-2018, 09:10 PM
Who are they Kev?

Obviously Leeann, George Craig, all the East Mains team, Laura, running commercial, Colin running media. Sure there will be more but who do you feel shouldn’t be there?

Time For Heroes
01-09-2018, 09:11 PM
Bollocks. Watch any footage of Rod after 21/5/16, the guy wouldnt be happy with with 1 in 10 thats for sure

whiskyhibby
01-09-2018, 09:11 PM

Already done about 3years ago ........:kbacker:

pacorosssco
01-09-2018, 09:12 PM
we've just had four good seasons compared last ten.we can't replace like for like but we've replaced better than we ever have.

matty_f
01-09-2018, 09:14 PM
Nobody's position at the club should be without scrutiny, and if there are better people out there to help we should, of course, be looking to them.

It's hard to call time on a board that has taken us from relegation to a Scottish Cup win, a League Cup final, a top four finish, into Europe twice, put internationals in the team, won the double at development team level, increased gates to near capacity on a regular basis, and brought in millions in transfer fees though.

What more are people expecting?

pacorosssco
01-09-2018, 09:16 PM
Nobody's position at the club should be without scrutiny, and if there are better people out there to help we should, of course, be looking to them.

It's hard to call time on a board that has taken us from relegation to a Scottish Cup win, a League Cup final, a top four finish, into Europe twice, put internationals in the team, won the double at development team level, increased gates to near capacity on a regular basis, and brought in millions in transfer fees though.

Correct.In best shape possible

Scotty Leither
01-09-2018, 09:16 PM
What actual evidence do you have that the upper levels of management are actively "happy" for us to be 1 good season in 10. I'm dying to know where this "smoking gun" dossier is as you're not the first person to post a similar belief that the board like to see us lose more often than not.

Paraphrasing seems to be big on this forum...I've never said the Board "like to see us lose".

They've got to be more pragmatic than fans, that's a given.

What I'm driving at is that they don't seem to realise the potential of this club and have reached various points in recent history where they take the safe option every time, particularly with regard to spending money.

They alienated Mark Venus through their parsimony - source: Mark Venus himself, and they run the risk of doing the same with the biggest winner we've had in the dugout for a long while.

To that end, I think they've ran their race, and it's time to give Leeann Dempster full control over everything at Easter Road, including bringing her own team in.

Kavinho
01-09-2018, 09:19 PM
Paraphrasing seems to be big on this forum...I've never said the Board "like to see us lose".

What I'm driving at is that they don't seem to realise the potential of this club and have reached various points in recent history where they take the safe option every time, particularly with regard to spending money.

They alienated Mark Venus through their parsimony - source: Mark Venus himself, and they run the risk of doing the same with the biggest winner we've had in the dugout for a long while.

To that end, I think they've ran their race, and it's time to give Leeann Dempster full control over everything at Easter Road, including bringing her own team in.

Sounds a bit like you want us to take the Jambo approach post 2016

Fife-Hibee
01-09-2018, 09:19 PM

Perhaps it's the fact that they don't change a great deal in how they go about things, regardless of consistent underachievement. The only time they spring into action is when the support base falls below a certain level. As soon as it's up again on a wave of optimism, they go back to the failed method of being as tight as possible, until the support base drops too far again.

It's got to the point now where simply being in the premiership is considered an achievement. Duking it out for a midtable finish with the likes of St Johnstone, Motherwell and Kilmarnock is the height of the boards ambition. If by any chance we happen to do a little better than that on the very occasional season, it's cash in time, then back to sub-mediocrity.

Ryan69
01-09-2018, 09:20 PM
we've just had four good seasons compared last ten.we can't replace like for like but we've replaced better than we ever have.

We've only been top flight one season.

If struggling to get promoted from second tier...Your easily pleased mate.

CropleyWasGod
01-09-2018, 09:20 PM

To that end, I think they've ran their race, and it's time to give Leeann Dempster full control over everything at Easter Road, including bringing her own team in.She is Chief executive. She has full executive control.

But you want her to change the people who employ her. Is that correct?

Scotty Leither
01-09-2018, 09:21 PM

Again, completely out of context - where did i say I want us to be like fur coat and nae knickers fc in any way?

Scotty Leither
01-09-2018, 09:23 PM
She is Chief executive. She has full executive control.

But you want her to change the people who employ her. Is that correct?

No...some personal evaluation and introspection of their own roles might be useful, though.

Heisenberg
01-09-2018, 09:24 PM

Aye, but we lost against Livingston. Sack everyone!!!!1!1!1!!!

pacorosssco
01-09-2018, 09:24 PM

what is Hibs potential? I'd love reach for stars but a Scottish Cup win is second only to winning the league where we have a budget that is way behind the two teams who have dominated for 40 years.

JohnM1875
01-09-2018, 09:25 PM
Wow. This place is ****ing mental sometimes.

We have 5 points after four games. A **** total everyone will agree. We haven't played particularly well in any of those matches. But it's still so early in the season.

Fife-Hibee

They've recovered rather quickly wouldn't you say? For all their wrongs, they remain relatively unscathed and are already growing in strength. While we continue to play it safe when we have the opportunity to build upon the optimism of last season.

Scotty Leither
what is Hibs potential? I'd love reach for stars but a Scottish Cup win is second only to winning the league where we have a budget that is way behind the two teams who have dominated for 40 years.

As a big city club with a large fan base, maybe a challenge for the League once in a while?

Heisenberg
01-09-2018, 09:27 PM
As a big city club with a large fan base, maybe a challenge for the League once in a while?

A challenge for the league? What kind of mental dreamland do you live in? Celtc and even the new Rangers (who seem to be a bit better on the park now too) are ****ing miles ahead of us financially. We can only hope to challenge for Euro places every season.

JimboHibs
01-09-2018, 09:28 PM

we are hibs*06:09 AM Today*

The window is gone and that's it. Some aren't happy with the way it went others are. But it's gone so time to look forward to the games coming up. Let's take it one game at a time and try and rack as many wins as possible up before the big 3 at the end of October. On paper we have a great chance to go on a good run so hopefully we can get today's game out the way, get a win and then regroup after the break and hopefully have injured players back, Milligan in and a couple weeks to refresh and go again after a hectic start.

So which one is it ?

pacorosssco
01-09-2018, 09:28 PM
We've only been top flight one season.

If struggling to get promoted from second tier...Your easily pleased mate.

crowds at record high. good to watch. won a trophy most thought would never win. you prefer the years before? I'm pleased at progress.best spell in decades.

pacorosssco
01-09-2018, 09:31 PM

would be nice but with budget v rantic is unlikely.Unless outside cash injected it's a hard ask

BullsCloseHibs
01-09-2018, 09:31 PM
That's as bad as it gets. What a crap season ahead. Even when we overcame Tripoli we looked rubbish. To lose to a muppet like Holt is simply embarrassing. The guy is a Weccy tracksuit wearing knob. We have stooped so so low.

jgl07
01-09-2018, 09:32 PM

Not hard to comprehend

Says the guy with the Hearts badge on his avatar!

JohnM1875
That's as bad as it gets. What a crap season ahead. Even when we overcame Tripoli we looked rubbish. To lose to a muppet like Holt is simply embarrassing. The guy is a Weccy tracksuit wearing knob. We have stooped so so low.

What's a weccy?

Scotty Leither
A challenge for the league? What kind of mental dreamland do you live in? Celtc and even the new Rangers (who seem to be a bit better on the park now too) are ****ing miles ahead of us financially. We can only hope to challenge for Euro places every season.

I think it you look at league results last season, on!y Aberdeen in the top 5 were better against us in head-to-head matches?

What's so fanciful about pushing for the League now and again?

Results like today should be viewed as what it is - utterly unacceptable against a team and club that are one step from Junior status, IMO.

BullsCloseHibs
01-09-2018, 09:33 PM

Picking up a loss to Meadowbank thistle is simply outrageous
Total and utter embarrassment.

CropleyWasGod
01-09-2018, 09:34 PM
What's a weccy?What Elmer Fudd does before he goes hunting for Bugs.

Fife-Hibee
01-09-2018, 09:35 PM

We're miles ahead financially to teams that have finished above us in the league multiple times over the past 10 years. We've had teams like St Johnstone, Kilmarnock, Motherwell and Dundee Utd finish above us regularly. If they can finish above us with a fraction of our budget, then why can't we mount a closer challenge to the top 2 with the cash our own club generates?

pacorosssco
They've recovered rather quickly wouldn't you say? For all their wrongs, they remain relatively unscathed and are already growing in strength. While we continue to play it safe when we have the opportunity to build upon the optimism of last season.

hearts started well but fenlon had hibs top of league in late October. we have lost top players.we have had seasons signing new teams which was a disaster give team time

HFC 0-7
I would guess that our wage bill has increased a fair bit over last season's, I don't think we have spent all the money that came in, however I think that the money will be spent over a few years to cover the cost of these contracts.
So what you are saying is that the players we have brought in are costing us probably the highest playing budget or close to it whilst saving on McGinns and Mcgeouchs wages. Sorry, I know you are the type of guy that is usually super positive about the team but we haven’t had a good transfer window and that team today are very weak. I keep hearing about this hibs strategy and player recruitment where we identify 1st, 2nd and even 3rd choice targets, how are these not panning out, are we setting the bar too high or not matching the financial packages for these players for the level we are trying to bring in.

Heisenberg
01-09-2018, 09:37 PM
We're miles ahead financially to teams that have finished above us in the league multiple times over the past 10 years. We've had teams like St Johnstone, Kilmarnock, Motherwell and Dundee Utd finish above us regularly. If they can finish above us with a fraction of our budget, then why can't we mount a closer challenge to the top 2 with the cash our own club generates?

Because it’s a lot more difficult to win the league than finish 3rd/4th/5th/6th?

pacorosssco
01-09-2018, 09:37 PM

??. we had best run Europe in 30 plus years . do u remember malmo? so low?? Calderwood butcher?

matty_f
01-09-2018, 09:40 PM
Perhaps it's the fact that they don't change a great deal in how they go about things, regardless of consistent underachievement. The only time they spring into action is when the support base falls below a certain level. As soon as it's up again on a wave of optimism, they go back to the failed method of being as tight as possible, until the support base drops too far again.

It's got to the point now where simply being in the premiership is considered an achievement. Duking it out for a midtable finish with the likes of St Johnstone, Motherwell and Kilmarnock is the height of the boards ambition. If by any chance we happen to do a little better than that on the very occasional season, it's cash in time, then back to sub-mediocrity.

What actual evidence is there that the board have been as tight as possible.

Dempster herself said that the club had the biggest ever football budget.
That's completely contradictory to being as tight as possible.

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2018, 09:42 PM
I think it you look at league results last season, on!y Aberdeen in the top 5 were better against us in head-to-head matches?

What's so fanciful about pushing for the League now and again?

Results like today should be viewed as what it is - utterly unacceptable against a team and club that are one step from Junior status, IMO.

Very difficult when the heart of your team is ripped out, and any player we have who's going to be part of a team that has Hibs challenging will be snapped up for a decent transfer fee, and his wages quadrupled or like Mcginn probably tenfold.

matty_f
01-09-2018, 09:43 PM
So what you are saying is that the players we have brought in are costing us probably the highest playing budget or close to it whilst saving on McGinns and Mcgeouchs wages. Sorry, I know you are the type of guy that is usually super positive about the team but we haven’t had a good transfer window and that team today are very weak. I keep hearing about this hibs strategy and player recruitment where we identify 1st, 2nd and even 3rd choice targets, how are these not panning out, are we setting the bar too high or not matching the financial packages for these players for the level we are trying to bring in.

It's far too early to say whether we have had a good or bad transfer window. We've had one game since it closed.

The evidence is there to see that we got a number of first choice targets - we signed Kamberi and Maclaren, Mallan was on the radar for ages, Milligan was wanted early on and we had to work hard to get a suitable package for him.

Horgan was another that was on the radar for long enough.

For the record, I don't care who is running the club so long as they have its best interests at heart and are competent.

Imho, the evidence points to that being the case at the moment.

When the time comes that I think that's not the case, I'll have no issue about calling on them to leave. When we were relegated I wanted Petrie out. Nobody is untouchable but at the same time I think it's important to base opinions on evidence.

Scotty Leither
01-09-2018, 09:44 PM

That's spin Matty -nothing more, nothing less. I bet if that statement is challenged along the lines of: "does that mean the manager has the most money to spend on the team than any Hibs manager has ever had?" , then you'll wait a long time on the answer.

matty_f
01-09-2018, 09:48 PM
That's spin Matty -nothing more, nothing less. I bet if that statement is challenged along the lines of: "does that mean the manager has the most money to spend on the team than any Hibs manager has ever had?" , then you'll wait a long time on the answer.

You're wrong - the answer would be no. Dempster explained that covered everything that was geared towards putting the best team on the pitch - sports science, coaches, managers, players, the lot.

We didn't even need to wait for the question to be asked for an answer to be given.

Scotty Leither
01-09-2018, 09:51 PM
You're wrong - the answer would be no. Deloitte explained that covered everything that was geared towards putting the best team on the pitch - sports science, coaches, managers, players, the lot.

We didn't even need to wait for the question to be asked for an answer to be given.

??? - so the manager doesn't have the "biggest ever PLAYING budget then? Just our backroom team cost a few quid?

matty_f
01-09-2018, 09:53 PM
??? - so the manager doesn't have the "biggest ever PLAYING budget then? Just our backroom team cost a few quid?

I don't know if he does or not. I'd be surprised if he did given what we paid to Sauzee etc in that era.

Nobody has said he had the biggest ever playing budget, I'm not sure where you've got that from.

CropleyWasGod
01-09-2018, 09:54 PM
??? - so the manager doesn't have the "biggest ever PLAYING budget then? Just our backroom team cost a few quid?Pretty sure our playing budget in the Sky days would have been much higher.

Leeann's statement about the budget was pretty clear.

Fife-Hibee
01-09-2018, 09:56 PM

If it's not a lack of budget, then what would you consider the overall problem to be? Why aren't we doing more to secure players from lesser clubs that often manage to finish above us more often than not? We look afar, rather than to the players at clubs finishing above us who can only afford to pay a fraction that we should be able to pay them. Players from the likes of Kilmarnock, Motherwell and St Johnstone shouldn't be out of our reach, yet we rarely show any interest in them, despite those clubs punching above their weight year on year.

Scotty Leither
01-09-2018, 09:57 PM
I don't know if he does or not. I'd be surprised if he did given what we paid to Sauzee etc in that era.

Nobody has said he had the biggest ever playing budget, I'm not sure where you've got that from.

"Neil Lennon will enjoy the biggest budget of any Hibs manager", Chief executive Leeann Demoster has revealed.

EEN, 29th May, 2018.

CropleyWasGod
01-09-2018, 09:59 PM
"Neil Lennon will enjoy the biggest budget of any Hibs manager", Chief executive Leeann Demoster has revealed.

EEN, 29th May, 2018.I think you need to look at her actual quote, which is in the article.

The quotation marks are yours, not the EEN.

matty_f
01-09-2018, 09:59 PM

EEN, 29th May, 2018.

Post the full quote.

matty_f
01-09-2018, 10:01 PM
If it's not a lack of budget, then what would you consider the overall problem to be? Why aren't we doing more to secure players from lesser clubs that often manage to finish above us more often than not? We look afar, rather than to the players at clubs finishing above us who can only afford to pay a fraction that we should be able to pay them. Players from the likes of Kilmarnock, Motherwell and St Johnstone shouldn't be out of our reach, yet we rarely show any interest in them, despite those clubs punching above their weight year on year.

We secured eight players! Three from English Premiership sides, two who went to the World Cup, Mallan, who we were after for ages, and Kamberi who we were desperate to buy.

The clubs that finished above us were Celtc, Rangers, and Aberdeen.

Heisenberg
01-09-2018, 10:02 PM

None of those teams finished above us last season. Also, if we wanted to take the best players from these clubs we’d be racking up a gigantic transfer bill. Jones at Killie and Campbell at Motherwell would command fees well over a million quid each.

Scotty Leither
01-09-2018, 10:04 PM
Post the full quote.

I don't have a link as I'm on a mobile device and am on holiday.

Google "Leeann Dempster/biggest ever budget" and it will take you the Evening News/Scotsman website, David Hardie's byline, and the headline: "Neil Lennon has been given biggest budget in Hibs history" .I

Back to you...

CropleyWasGod
01-09-2018, 10:05 PM

Google "Leeann Dempster/biggest ever budget" and it will take you the Evening News/Scotsman website, David Hardie's byline, and the headline: "Neil Lennon has been given biggest budget in Hibs history" .I

Back to you...Read the article here....
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/neil-lennon-has-been-given-biggest-budget-in-hibs-history-1-4746011/amp

1875godsgift
01-09-2018, 10:07 PM

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

We have stooped so low?!!!

I'll tell you what stooping low is - stooping low is cheating the tax man, and by default you and me, to win title and cups by employing players you can't afford, as rangers (deceased) did.

Stooping low is limping to the end of the season before collapsing into administration, owing millions to local businesses and charities, then miraculously rising phoenix(club)-like but still smelling of ***** (guess who?).

Our club is financially well run, with a long term business plan. We won't spend fortunes on transfer fees or wages, we don't have anywhere near the turnover of Celtc os Sevco, or even Aberdeen or Hertz. We're reliant on bringing through youth players and signing players with the potential to sell them on.

And then doing it again... and again... hopefully slowly increasing our squad strength, our turnover, our cup runs, more regular European qualification.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and if it had been built in a day it wouldn't have lasted long because the cement on the bottom layers wouldn't have had time to set. :aok:

We lost a game of football ffs, it's happened before and I can guarantee it'll happen again! :na na:

matty_f
01-09-2018, 10:07 PM

Back to you...
Here's what she said in that article:

“I would go as far as to say last year, and definitely this year, the football budget will be the biggest the club has ever had. I can say that with some certainty. That includes what we are actually spending on players and importantly – and I think it is for folk to understand this – the support, staff, expertise that help fuel the club and in particular around places like the academy and medical and sports science. Stuff like that.

“There is ambition here, but we balance where we spend our money. We are going to spend more again on the pitch undoubtedly, and more at the back end of the club.”

Back to you.

Fife-Hibee
01-09-2018, 10:08 PM
None of those teams finished above us last season. Also, if we wanted to take the best players from these clubs we’d be racking up a gigantic transfer bill. Jones at Killie and Campbell at Motherwell would command fees well over a million quid each.

You're right, none of them did finish above us last season But how often have we been able to say that? Could you also confidently say that none of them will finish above us this year on current showing? Remember when we paid over a million for De La Cruz? We sold him on for double in just one season.

Heisenberg

Back to you...

Read the actual quote and not just the headline/byline....

matty_f
You're right, none of them did finish above us last season But how often have we been able to say that? Could you also confidently say that none of them will finish above us this year on current showing? Remember when we paid over a million for De La Cruz? We sold him on for double in just one season.

We paid well under a million for De La Cruz.

Scotty Leither
01-09-2018, 10:09 PM
I think you need to look at her actual quote, which is in the article.

The quotation marks are yours, not the EEN.

Sorry, should've said the quotes are mine - wasn't doing it for emphasis, just putting in quotes as it's a 3rd party source. Hope that clears it up. I would cut and paste but I'm limited via posting through a tablet.

Point still stands about "biggest ever budget" - quoted, and out there in the public domain, unless I'm interpreting it wrongly?

matty_f
01-09-2018, 10:09 PM
Sorry, should've said the quotes are mine - wasn't doing it for emphasis, just putting in quotes as it's a 3rd party source. Hope that clears it up. I would cut and paste but I'm limited via posting through a tablet.

Point still stands about "biggest ever budget" - quoted, and out there in the public domain, unless I'm interpreting it wrongly?

Yes, you're interpreting it wrongly.

CropleyWasGod
01-09-2018, 10:11 PM

Point still stands about "biggest ever budget" - quoted, and out there in the public domain, unless I'm interpreting it wrongly?It's explicit IMO. Again, read the full piece, not just the headline.

Heisenberg
01-09-2018, 10:11 PM

Did we? Sure it was about £750k? Anyway, no one outside the OF in Scotland can afford to pay those kinds of fees anymore. We have spent quite big this summer, probably the most in terms of transfer fees outwith the Glasgow pair.

matty_f
01-09-2018, 10:14 PM
Did we? Sure it was about £750k? Anyway, no one outside the OF in Scotland can afford to pay those kinds of fees anymore. We have spent quite big this summer, probably the most in terms of transfer fees outwith the Glasgow pair.
:agree:
The other thing is, players worth over a million don't want to come and play for Hibs - they want the big money in England.

Scotty Leither
01-09-2018, 10:15 PM
Read the actual quote and not just the headline/byline....

Alright, I'll try again, this from the same article:(quotation marks are mine).

"I would go as far to say last year, and definitely this year, the football budget will be the biggest the club has ever had". I can say that with some certainty. That includes what we are spending on players..." .

CropleyWasGod
01-09-2018, 10:17 PM

"I would go as far to say last year, and definitely this year, the football budget will be the biggest the club has ever had". I can say that with some certainty. That includes what we are spending on players..." .....and the rest?

matty_f

"I would go as far to say last year, and definitely this year, the football budget will be the biggest the club has ever had". I can say that with some certainty. That includes what we are spending on players..." .

Here's the quote in full (again):

“I would go as far as to say last year, and definitely this year, the football budget will be the biggest the club has ever had. I can say that with some certainty. That includes what we are actually spending on players and importantly – and I think it is for folk to understand this – the support, staff, expertise that help fuel the club and in particular around places like the academy and medical and sports science. Stuff like that.

“There is ambition here, but we balance where we spend our money. We are going to spend more again on the pitch undoubtedly, and more at the back end of the club.”

Scotty Leither
Yes, you're interpreting it wrongly.

Go on then you've piqued my interest now...how am I interpreting it wrongly - does the manager have the biggest budget for players in the club's history, or does he not?

Which is it?

matty_f
01-09-2018, 10:19 PM
Go on then you've piqued my interest now...how am I interpreting it wrongly - does the manager have the biggest budget for players in the club's history, or does he not?

Which is it?

Read the posts above, in fact read the full quote that you've selectively picked from.

blackpoolhibs

Which is it?

I'd say with what we've spent, we have spent a lot more than in any season i can remember?

Danderhall Hibs
She shouldn’t have said it. Clearly too confusing for some.

Scotty Leither
01-09-2018, 10:20 PM
I've put the full quote above if that helps you.

So is it the biggest budget for "the rest" or for players?

Corporate spin worthy of Blair and Campbell - even allowing for the rag that is the EEN these days.

We could spend £6m on a stand and zippo on the team - does that count as "the rest" or "football budget"?

Kavinho
01-09-2018, 10:21 PM

Are you just trolling mate?
The full quote was posted just above yours and youve just clipped the bit that says It's important that folk understand this..

Heisenberg
01-09-2018, 10:22 PM
Are you just trolling mate?
The full quote was posted just above yours and youve just clipped the bit that says "It's important that folk understand this".

He knows he’s wrong and is desperately trying to avoiding admitting it.

CropleyWasGod
01-09-2018, 10:22 PM

Corporate spin worthy of Blair and Campbell - even allowing for the rag that is the EEN these days.It's for the football department. LD is clear on that.

She even says "It's important for people to understand this".

You don't. [emoji16]

matty_f
01-09-2018, 10:23 PM

Corporate spin worthy of Blair and Campbell - even allowing for the rag that is the EEN these days.

The quote explains it, I'm not sure how to break it down more simply.

marinello59
01-09-2018, 10:23 PM
I'd say with what we've spent, we have spent a lot more than in any season i can remember?

And me. And we are really old. :greengrin

Scotty Leither
01-09-2018, 10:24 PM
It's for the football department. LD is clear on that.

She even says "It's important for people to understand this".

You don't. [emoji16]

Sorry, for the second night in a row I bow to your greater understanding of semantics.

Fife-Hibee
We paid well under a million for De La Cruz.

Figures may well be wrong, but according to this transfer site, we paid 1.26m for the signing of De La Cruz, although it may include add ons of some sort?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/hibernian-fc/transferrekorde/verein/903

In any case, we spent big on a quality player and it did us no harm. Also, not all players are in a hurry to move down south or some foreign land and would probably extend their stay in the SPFL for 3-4 times the wage, even if only for another 1-2 seasons. But I suppose we'll never really know for sure, as we never take the plunge.

matty_f

We could spend £6m on a stand and zippo on the team - does that count as "the rest" or "football budget"?

We'll the £6m clearly wouldn't be on the football budget. That would go down as infrastructure, presumably.

She hasn't spent any on a stand though, so you don't need to worry about that.

One Day
01-09-2018, 10:26 PM
Whittaker should hang up the boots. Disgraceful footballer and don’t think I’ve seen a worse performance under lennon

Really

CropleyWasGod
01-09-2018, 10:28 PM
Sorry, for the second night in a row I bow to your greater understanding of semantics.It's not semantics. It's clear English.

I think you are letting your feelings about the Board cloud what is a pretty clear statement.

Heisenberg
Figures may well be wrong, but according to this transfer site, we paid 1.26m for the signing of De La Cruz, although it may include add ons of some sort?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/hibernian-fc/transferrekorde/verein/903

In any case, we spent big on a quality player and it did us no harm. Also, not all players are in a hurry to move down south or some foreign land and would probably extend their stay in the SPFL for 3-4 times the wage, even if only for another 1-2 seasons. But I suppose we'll never really know for sure, as we never take the plunge.

We never “take the plunge” with those kinds of fees anymore because we can’t afford to do so. Taking the plunge for us these days is paying good money for McGinn, or more recently when we paid good money for Mallan, Horgan and Kamberi.

Kavinho
We'll the £6m clearly wouldn't be on the football budget. That would go down as infrastructure, presumably.

Rising to 15m And counting!

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2018, 10:29 PM
And me. And we are really old. :greengrin

:agree: . :greengrin

Scotty Leither
01-09-2018, 10:29 PM

Presumably? You don't know what the split in the spend was either do you? Point still remains that if our CEO puts out a statement viz "biggest football budget ever" (sic), fans might just think she's talking about the team?

CropleyWasGod
01-09-2018, 10:31 PM
Presumably? You don't know what the split in the spend was either do you? Point still remains that if our CEO puts out a statement viz "biggest football budget ever" (sic), fans might just think she's talking about the team?...which is why she clarified exactly what that means.

Scotty Leither
01-09-2018, 10:31 PM
It's not semantics. It's clear English.

I think you are letting your feelings about the Board cloud what is a pretty clear statement.

Really? Where's the split in the spend on team/infrastructure then? Statement is vague at best then?

matty_f
01-09-2018, 10:32 PM
Presumably? You don't know what the split in the spend was either do you? Point still remains that if our CEO puts out a statement viz "biggest football budget ever" (sic), fans might just think she's talking about the team?

Of course I don't know what the split is, but I don't need to.

Fans might think that if they don't read what she said. She didn't put out the headline, you've seen what she said.

If she says it's the biggest budget and then explains immediately what that means, I would think most folk would understand it.

Unless, of course, they don't want to.

Scotty Leither
01-09-2018, 10:35 PM

Fans might think that if they don't read what she said. She didn't put out the headline, you've seen what she said.

If she says it's the biggest budget and then explains immediately what that means, I would think most folk would understand it.

If she says "the manager" has been given "the biggest budget", that to me means the team.

I've obviously missed the hidden meaning that you asked me to find for you.

Fife-Hibee
01-09-2018, 10:35 PM
We never “take the plunge” with those kinds of fees anymore because we can’t afford to do so. Taking the plunge for us these days is paying good money for McGinn, or more recently when we paid good money for Mallan, Horgan and Kamberi.

Why can't we afford players that will be worth multiples of what they're already worth within a season, simply because they play for a bigger team in the same league?

Celtic could buy a talented player from us for say 500k, have them kick the baw a few times, then punt them down south for 2 million. It's crazy, but thats modern day football economics. Surely the same thing would apply to us if we invested more money on players that are already proven at this level?

matty_f
01-09-2018, 10:36 PM
If she says "the manager" has been given "the biggest budget", that to me means the team.

She didn't say that, though. Here it is again:

CropleyWasGod
01-09-2018, 10:37 PM

I've obviously missed the hidden meaning that you asked me to find for you.She didn't say that. Again, read what she did say [emoji16]

1875godsgift
01-09-2018, 10:37 PM

That surely explains where the money is spent.

Really? Where's the split in the spend on team/infrastructure then? Statement is vague at best then?

Why not make a Freedom of Information request to the club asking to know the breakdown of the budget? It's very doubtful anybody on here would know and you're itching to find out?

matty_f
01-09-2018, 10:38 PM
Why can't we afford players that will be worth multiples of what they're already worth within a season, simply because they play for a bigger team in the same league?

Celtic could buy a talented player from us for say 500k, have them kick the baw a few times, then punt them down south for 2 million. It's crazy, but thats modern day football economics. Surely the same thing would apply to us if we invested more money on players that are already proven at this level?
If a player is worth in excess of a million, for example, they will want to move to a club that pays multiples of what we can pay.

That's an economic reality of where we are in the country in football terms.

We could make a profit on Kamberi, Mallan etc though.

Time For Heroes
01-09-2018, 10:39 PM
Could be wrong but isn't this the same board that got us Scottish cup win? Jeezo

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2018, 10:40 PM

Well i can see where we've spent a lot of money this pre season, more than i can ever remember?

Scotty Leither
01-09-2018, 10:41 PM
She didn't say that, though. Here it is again:

Read the headline again: "Neil Lennon has been given biggest budget in Hibs history".

Then the strapline: Neil Lennon will enjoy the biggest budget of any Hibs manager, Chief Executive Leeann Dempster has revealed."

What would you say we're meant to take from that?

CropleyWasGod
01-09-2018, 10:43 PM
Read the headline again: "Neil Lennon has been given biggest budget in Hibs history".

Then the strapline: Neil Lennon will enjoy the biggest budget of any Hibs manager, Chief Executive Leeann Dempster has revealed."

What would you say we're meant to take from that?I'd expect that, as with any headline, people would then be interested enough to read the full article and..... read what she actually said. [emoji1787]

Heisenberg
01-09-2018, 10:44 PM

Take that issue up with the EEN. The Hibs board can’t control what headline they’ve used to attract views and attention.

matty_f
01-09-2018, 10:45 PM

Dempster didn't say those things though. You've seen what she said.

Have you read what she said?

JohnM1875

I'd say you could maybe say she's been misquoted to make a headline?

1875godsgift

We can't afford to speculate with that sort of money.

£500k is approximately 0.6% of Celtc's annual turnover.

It's about 6.5% of ours, plus you have to take into account wages etc.

stantonhibby
01-09-2018, 10:47 PM

That they're trying to sell papers/get folk to read their website ?

Mibbes Aye
01-09-2018, 11:01 PM

Why don't you email Leanne, copy us in and share the reply?

Surely simpler than fannying about on here asking fellow fans?

green day
02-09-2018, 05:18 AM

You are at it. Have been for days

DetroitHibs
02-09-2018, 06:03 AM
So here's a rough breakdown of our income.

13,500 Season ticket sales = 4.5 million
John McGinn 2 million
Murray 100,000
Europe 400,000

So we've roughly raked in about 7 million, give or take. So how much do you honestly think we've invested of that money. I'm not including wages, as we just sold players like Dylan and McGinn that were on decent wages too. Also I'm guessing Stokes would have been on a decent wedge 12 months ago. So in transfer fees and add ons, I'm guessing we didn't spend more than 1.5 million and that's being generous. Flo was 100,000 can be generous and say both Mallan and Horgan 350,000 each. Some fees for the loan players 300,000.

My figures could be way off, but with the 7 million brought in, 3 million should have been invested in the squad.

Hibs90
02-09-2018, 06:11 AM
You are at it. Have been for days

Reminds me of a certaib Twitter user

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
02-09-2018, 06:23 AM

Fans always moan about not being given enough information, then she they are, they use it as a noose to put around someones neck for ever more.

Allant1981
02-09-2018, 06:43 AM

it was never said he had the biggest playing budget, think you need to chill a wee bit

bigwheel
02-09-2018, 07:09 AM
it was never said he had the biggest playing budget, think you need to chill a wee bit

Without getting over worried, people are right to criticise. The board have not delivered all that was required for the playing side in this window. That is simply a fact due to Hibs trying to secure two more players and failing last week.....if you use a term like "biggest ever footballing budget" or the likes , which LD did use...then it sets an expectation...and to not deliver , when rivals such as Rangers and Hearts have. It is reasonable for fans to be critical and disappointed. It will have an impact this season. We will get less points than we could have with stronger squad...

James70
02-09-2018, 07:15 AM
I wonder how much Livingston's team cost? Why should we have to be spending mega bucks in order to beat them? I have great fears for the rest of the season if we can't handle the more physical teams.

Allant1981
02-09-2018, 07:20 AM
Without getting over worried, people are right to criticise. The board have not delivered all that was required for the playing side in this window. That is simply a fact due to Hibs trying to secure two more players and failing last week.....if you use a term like "biggest ever footballing budget" or the likes , which LD did use...then it sets an expectation...and to not deliver , when rivals such as Rangers and Hearts have. It is reasonable for fans to be critical and disappointed. It will have an impact this season. We will get less points than we could have with stronger squad...

not deliver what? we have been beaten once, if it continues over 5/6 games then fine have a moan but some of the criticism has been mental

Heisenberg
02-09-2018, 07:23 AM
Why do folk keep referring to Rangers having strengthened so much as a stick to beat the board with? They have much bigger financial capability than us. Ridiculous to compare our business to theirs.

bigwheel
02-09-2018, 07:29 AM
not deliver what? we have been beaten once, if it continues over 5/6 games then fine have a moan but some of the criticism has been mental

It's a fans forum, so I'm sure the early reactions from some have been way over the top...that said, it's obvious we have not got the level of squad the manager was looking for though...evidenced by the failed attempts to get Allan, Christie and a centre half through the door late last week....it's not hard to see that the board have not managed to deliver the squad that was being asked of them by the manager..let alone the fans.

The board have done well in recent times...but they deserve some challenge when they don't deliver what is needed. This has been one example.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bigwheel
02-09-2018, 07:31 AM
Why do folk keep referring to Rangers having strengthened so much as a stick to beat the board with? They have much bigger financial capability than us. Ridiculous to compare our business to theirs.

We don't need to match them financially to strengthen.....they have addressed their areas of weakness well.we haven't...that's the point people are making..

Allant1981
02-09-2018, 07:35 AM
It's a fans forum, so I'm sure the early reactions from some have been way over the top...that said, it's obvious we have not got the level of squad the manager was looking for though...evidenced by the failed attempts to get Allan, Christie and a centre half through the door late last week....it's not hard to see that the board have not managed to deliver the squad that was being asked of them by the manager..let alone the fans.

The board have done well in recent times...but they deserve some challenge when they don't deliver what is needed. This has been one example.

for all we know though the board tried to get every single player lennon wanted, some moves come off and some dont, we have spent more money on transfers this season than i can remember in a long time so surely they are delivering, i do agree though we are a bit light just now but possibly get a couple of free transfers in

bigwheel
02-09-2018, 07:42 AM
for all we know though the board tried to get every single player lennon wanted, some moves come off and some dont, we have spent more money on transfers this season than i can remember in a long time so surely they are delivering, i do agree though we are a bit light just now but possibly get a couple of free transfers in

Rivals are stronger, we are weaker than last season. Not a recipe for progress

No doubt they tried very hard...absolutely no question from me....we both acknowledge that we are too light in some areas. Therefore, the board deserve to be challenged as to why not. They have had a lot of praise recently, nothing wrong with some challenging views after a window which didn't deliver what was needed.

Heisenberg
02-09-2018, 07:44 AM
We don't need to match them financially to strengthen.....they have addressed their areas of weakness well.we haven't...that's the point people are making..

So what signings haven’t we made that you’d have liked us to? Backup striker and backup central defender? Hardly a crisis.

We spent big money compared to the rest of the division this summer and brought back a couple of players who the fans really wanted in Kamberi and Maclaren. We signed Mallan who everyone was delighted about. Horgan has been our best player for a few weeks now and he isn’t even playing his natural position. We’re also waiting on Milligan to play. It’s up to Lennon to alter the system to suit his new players. We can’t keep playing the same way as we did last season because we don’t have the same players.

Everyone losing their minds after one poor result is ridiculous and is so like .net these days. We are the best thing since sliced bread after a win but the worse side ever who are back to butcher like days after a defeat.

bigwheel
02-09-2018, 07:54 AM
So what signings haven’t we made that you’d have liked us to? Backup striker and backup central defender? Hardly a crisis.

We spent big money compared to the rest of the division this summer and brought back a couple of players who the fans really wanted in Kamberi and Maclaren. We signed Mallan who everyone was delighted about. Horgan has been our best player for a few weeks now and he isn’t even playing his natural position. We’re also waiting on Milligan to play. It’s up to Lennon to alter the system to suit his new players. We can’t keep playing the same way as we did last season because we don’t have the same players.

Everyone losing their minds after one poor result is ridiculous and is so like .net these days. We are the best thing since sliced bread after a win but the worse side ever who are back to butcher like days after a defeat.

I'm not reacting to yesterday...my points have nothing to do with that.. (although I do think we are light and we will see more of these results this season than last). I'm simply saying that it's fair for some to challenge the board when they don't find a way to get in the players the manager wants. it's not really about what signings I would have wanted. Lennon tried to get in another two last week...that's what he wanted.

Are you happy that we have the right squad this season?

Allant1981
02-09-2018, 08:00 AM
Rivals are stronger, we are weaker than last season. Not a recipe for progress

No doubt they tried very hard...absolutely no question from me....we both acknowledge that we are too light in some areas. Therefore, the board deserve to be challenged as to why not. They have had a lot of praise recently, nothing wrong with some challenging views after a window which didn't deliver what was needed.

we were always going to be weaker as we cant afford to buy £4m players, if everyone was fit then no one can truthfully say thats a bad team, our problem at the moment is we have a lot of injuries, that being said, the team that was out yesterday on paper should have won but as we all know football has a habit of going against these things

Heisenberg
02-09-2018, 08:00 AM
I'm not reacting to yesterday...my points have nothing to do with that.. (although I do think we are light and we will see more of these results this season than last). I'm simply saying that it's fair for some to challenge the board when they don't find a way to get in the players the manager wants. it's not really about what signings I would have wanted. Lennon tried to get in another two last week...that's what he wanted.

Are you happy that we have the right squad this season?

Yes. We’ve got the entire spine of our team out injured just now. Kamberi and Marciano walk back into the side, as do McGregor and Gray. Mallan needs to be utilised in his best position. Milligan is coming in to bring some steel, experience and leadership in the midfield. We’ve got plenty of creativity in wide areas, they need to be set up to cause damage going forward opposed to shoe horning them into a system.

We’ll be absolutely fine this season. I trust Lennon will find the right formula just as he did last season. And the season before that.

Barney McGrew
02-09-2018, 08:13 AM
So here's a rough breakdown of our income.

13,500 Season ticket sales = 4.5 million
John McGinn 2 million
Murray 100,000
Europe 400,000

So we've roughly raked in about 7 million, give or take. So how much do you honestly think we've invested of that money. I'm not including wages, as we just sold players like Dylan and McGinn that were on decent wages too. Also I'm guessing Stokes would have been on a decent wedge 12 months ago. So in transfer fees and add ons, I'm guessing we didn't spend more than 1.5 million and that's being generous. Flo was 100,000 can be generous and say both Mallan and Horgan 350,000 each. Some fees for the loan players 300,000.

My figures could be way off, but with the 7 million brought in, 3 million should have been invested in the squad.

A couple of things with this.

Hibs don’t make anything like £4.5m off season ticket sales.....IIRC, the average money made off each season is around £240 or so, you can lose around £1.2m off what you’ve allocated for that.

What’s more important is what extra we’ve made this year. We still had all that season ticket money last season so it’s not as if it’s extra cash we didn’t have before. The only extra is the money from Europe and the fees for McGinn and Murray, but I’d wager a fair bit of that will have been used in fees for Flo, Mallan, Horgan etc. We also had the money we got for Jason Cummings fee last year that will have been spent in 2017/18.

We’ll have full season of money to pay to Flo and Jamie McLaren for 2018/19 when we only had six months worth last year, as well as the higher wages we’ll be paying the new guys we’ve signed against the guys who’ve left.

I don’t doubt that when Leeann says the overall budget is higher than before that she’s telling the truth, and I don’t doubt we’ve invested a huge amount of money in the players we’ve brought in. Whether the balance in the squad is right, or whether we have enough cover or quality in certain areas is most certainly up for debate though.

Barney McGrew
02-09-2018, 08:16 AM

Its not a .net thing - it’s the same on every fans website you look at :greengrin

matty_f
02-09-2018, 09:10 AM

And at this moment in time, are below is in the league.

IFONLY
02-09-2018, 09:29 AM

behave yourself ffs

bigwheel
02-09-2018, 10:27 AM
Yes. We’ve got the entire spine of our team out injured just now. Kamberi and Marciano walk back into the side, as do McGregor and Gray. Mallan needs to be utilised in his best position. Milligan is coming in to bring some steel, experience and leadership in the midfield. We’ve got plenty of creativity in wide areas, they need to be set up to cause damage going forward opposed to shoe horning them into a system.

We’ll be absolutely fine this season. I trust Lennon will find the right formula just as he did last season. And the season before that.

We will always have 3-4 players out for various reasons. That summary just concluded we have a strong first 11.. any objective analysis assessment is that we are weaker currently than last season ...so the likelihood of the same achievement as last season is reduced - so “being fine “ depends on what you view as “fine”...without reacting to yesterday’s result, it is fair for people to be a bit concerned about the squad depth for this season currently

RIP
02-09-2018, 05:59 PM
People who blame the board are way off the mark IMO.

They have given the football department a budget to work with. If we have failed to get the right players in surely the blame lies with George Craig, Graeme Margie and Craig Scates?

Unless you think that Bruce, Amanda, Jamie, Brian, Stephen, Frank, Tracey and Rod are involved in player recruitment.

bigwheel
02-09-2018, 06:28 PM
People who blame the board are way off the mark IMO.

They have given the football department a budget to work with. If we have failed to get the right players in surely the blame lies with George Craig, Graeme Margie and Craig Scates?

Unless you think that Bruce, Amanda, Jamie, Brian, Stephen, Frank, Tracey and Rod are involved in player recruitment.

The board are also involved though...They do the deals ...I’m not blaming them, the whole process hasn’t worked as well as even they wanted this window ..those who are stoically defending the board are also ignoring the fact that the board are also dissatisfied with the outcome of the window ... they would have liked one or two more in too.

I’m hoping we manage a couple of free agent quality signings ....