PDA

View Full Version : Match Updates Livingston v Hibs

Pages : 1 2 [3]

wookie70
01-09-2018, 05:22 PM
It looks to me that we had a decent car last year. It was purring away nicely, reliable and when needed you could put the foot down and get back up to speed. The close season saw us sell our engine, some of the other key components might be past their best and to get the car back to its former glory we have bought some fluffy dice and wide arches and put the money from the engine sale in the back. We look good just sitting there but without an engine we aren't going anywhere. It isn't helped by the driver continually putting the right wing mirror and using it as a rear view mirror

Allant1981
01-09-2018, 05:24 PM
But Shaw was v quiet last week and his head looked to be down, whereas all the reports suggest Allan has been doing very well, so can understand him getting the nod. Didn't see the game but Mikey Stewart said on Open All Mics that Allan had a decent first half. Was he talking p*sh?

decent is probably about right, i havent seen much of him but like shaw i dont think he is ready yet, i thought he should have been subbed earlier than he was

madhatter
01-09-2018, 05:27 PM
It looks to me that we had a decent car last year. It was purring away nicely, reliable and when needed you could put the foot down and get back up to speed. The close season saw us sell our engine, some of the other key components might be past their best and to get the car back to its former glory we have bought some fluffy dice and wide arches and put the money from the engine sale in the back. We look good just sitting there but without an engine we aren't going anywhere. It isn't helped by the driver continually putting the right wing mirror and using it as a rear view mirror

Excellent analogy - got a laugh out of that.

Hiber-nation
01-09-2018, 05:29 PM
No-one wanted the ball. Last season McGeoch and McGinn would have dragged us through that game. Mallan's first 2 passes were dreadful then it was clear he didn't fancy it which is unacceptable. Hyndman just wasn't at it either.

Add in the abysmal performance of the back 3 and we have problems.

Iggy Pope
01-09-2018, 05:30 PM

You put some work into that guff mind. Some effort.

Fife-Hibee
01-09-2018, 05:34 PM
I might be misreading the signs here, but something tells me you don't like the board very much.

Some of us just aren't in love with the board and don't buy into the idea that they should be completely immune from any kind of criticism. Objectively, the board have done well in terms of playing it safe, with the odd major payoff every several years from the odd wheat amongst the chaff. But sometimes calculated risks need to be made in order to achieve greater rewards and more frequent payoffs and the board just don't have the ambition to take us forward in a meaningful way. For a club of our size and fanbase, we very occasionally reach the level of where we should be well established. Yes, we now have a completed stadium and our own proper training facilities, but these things are wasted if we don't bring in talented players to use these facilities and keep fans coming to the games in order to fill up the stadium.

It's not hard at all to understand the frustration of fans.

calumhibee1
01-09-2018, 05:38 PM
No-one wanted the ball. Last season McGeoch and McGinn would have dragged us through that game. Mallan's first 2 passes were dreadful then it was clear he didn't fancy it which is unacceptable. Hyndman just wasn't at it either.

Add in the abysmal performance of the back 3 and we have problems.

Mallan was atrocious today as was Whittaker. Hyndman came on and didn’t improve things at all. Our midfield is nowhere near good enough IMO.

Inconsequential
01-09-2018, 05:39 PM
Excellent analogy - got a laugh out of that. Excellent analogy except wing mirrors haven't been fitted to cars for decades..:greengrin

ahibby
01-09-2018, 05:41 PM
Well if the club thought we could beat bottom of the league teams with a weakened team they know better now. Never thought we could lose today until I saw the team sheet.

Onion
01-09-2018, 05:42 PM
Thought we did ok, up to the point of scoring. Then Hibs players morphed into the very boy band, Lennon's been trying manfully to knock out of us. It was truly painful to watch and am in no doubt - for all Lennon has publicly accepted responsibility - many of those players will have been rightly savaged.

In saying that, the pitch was a disgrace that allowed them to reduce the game down to the very basics of hoofball - never on the deck, pump it forward asap, never try to control it, but make your tackles. In contrast, Hibs misplaced dozens of passes, struggled to judge the bounce, looked scared to make basic tackles, lost most 50/50s and couldn't shoot or cross for tuppence.

SingaporeHibs
01-09-2018, 05:52 PM
Some of us just aren't in love with the board and don't buy into the idea that they should be completely immune from any kind of criticism. Objectively, the board have done well in terms of playing it safe, with the odd major payoff every several years from the odd wheat amongst the chaff. But sometimes calculated risks need to be made in order to achieve greater rewards and more frequent payoffs and the board just don't have the ambition to take us forward in a meaningful way. For a club of our size and fanbase, we very occasionally reach the level of where we should be well established. Yes, we now have a completed stadium and our own proper training facilities, but these things are wasted if we don't bring in talented players to use these facilities and keep fans coming to the games in order to fill up the stadium.

It's not hard at all to understand the frustration of fans.

Everyone is frustrated today but it’s how some of that frustration is being directed that isn’t entirely logical imo.
We have signed a load of players, we have loads of midfielders and so if the midfield turns out not to be good enough then I fail to understand how that’s the boards fault.
We are without doubt short of strikers but again, does anyone really believe the board are the ones stopping us getting another one signed. Should of been done long before the window closed y’day.
We are still 5/6 changes away from what will be our best starting 11. Circumstances have not been in our favour. Once that 11 gets on the pitch together will be when we can really judge where we are.

cabbageandribs1875
01-09-2018, 05:52 PM
for the love of **** get Dobbie in january :agree: or get Grant Holt back from his wrestling or whatever he's doing nowadays

Fife-Hibee
01-09-2018, 06:32 PM
Everyone is frustrated today but it’s how some of that frustration is being directed that isn’t entirely logical imo.
We have signed a load of players, we have loads of midfielders and so if the midfield turns out not to be good enough then I fail to understand how that’s the boards fault.
We are without doubt short of strikers but again, does anyone really believe the board are the ones stopping us getting another one signed. Should of been done long before the window closed y’day.
We are still 5/6 changes away from what will be our best starting 11. Circumstances have not been in our favour. Once that 11 gets on the pitch together will be when we can really judge where we are.

Using "we signed a load of players" as your argument for the board being faultless doesn't hold up. It comes down to the quality of the signings, not how many players we can snap up on the cheap, just for the sake of making up the squad numbers. I'm not holding Lennon completely blameless here either, however he does require the right level of backing in order to secure quality signings. I'm sure Lennon would have wanted things to have moved along quicker, but without being able to offer an adequate amount to secure the right signings, it results in potential signings waiting around to consider their options until the very last minute.

Being half a team away from competing in the top 4 again at this stage is a shambles for a club this size. It shows a complete lack of professionalism in my view. I'm not really sure what circumstances you're referring to either. Circumstances never stopped Hearts from putting a competitive side together on a budget no more on par than our own. There's always excuses, while other clubs seem to shun them.

NAE NOOKIE
01-09-2018, 06:42 PM
This is a disappointing result. I am firmly in the camp that we still aren't up and running yet with the Kamberi situation and still waiting for Milligan ( who I think will be a fixture ) to get a work permit. But that for me means we may be having a struggle away to Aberdeen, Hearts or Sevco. With the players available to us there is no excuse for what sounded like an insipid performance against a team of journeymen.

I am prepared to acknowledge that the pitch ( if you can call it that ) was a factor, but even so three teams in this league play on plastic and disgrace though that is we have to be able to adapt.

Thank ( insert bad word ) for the international break … hopefully NL can sort out his best team, Kamberi gets fit, Milligan is cleared to play and turns out to be everything we hope he is. I have read from more than one poster that the team lacked passion today and that is totally unacceptable. That's not a charge I would say could be levelled at any Hibs team since Stubbs took over up until now …... poor performance yes, lack of commitment no. If Neil Lennon agrees with that assessment then he should be booting ***** up and down east mains for the next fortnight.

I have to admit my positivity that we had recruited far batter than some folk were saying and that things would improve week upon week as the team settled is beginning to wane somewhat.

Ozymandias
01-09-2018, 08:29 PM
No I don't - Leeann excepted. indeed I shudder to think where we would've been had she not accepted the post.

I worked in financial services as a mortgage adviser for 13 years and I rapped it 18 months ago after becoming sick of the constant atmosphere of change brought about by faceless accountants obsessed by the bottom line...

the parallel i'm drawing is that we've been on the cusp of really kicking on a few times in the last few years/decade but the Board at Easter Road (which has had its share of accountants down the years) have reverted to type and bottled it in terms of moving us up another gear or two.

The latest transfer window has all the hallmarks of that (and that's even before today's result which has just capped off a really crappy week), and the fact they never put themselves above the parapet and counter the criticisms once in a while doesn't help their case either.

Which of the Board members crept into your house and murdered your hamster? Your epic loathing of them is verging on the unhinged...

#2 Double Tap
01-09-2018, 08:43 PM
Which of the Board members crept into your house and murdered your hamster? Your epic loathing of them is verging on the unhinged...

he is quite right to hate the board. for years they made bad decisions, even this year bad decisions they made in the past are impacting on our budget and football team!

Ozymandias
01-09-2018, 08:57 PM
he is quite right to hate the board. for years they made bad decisions, even this year bad decisions they made in the past are impacting on our budget and football team!

Nah - that's not healthy, and is essentially howling at the moon. They've been a mix of good, bad and indifferent to varying degrees, and for most part since Leeann came in it's been good.

This reaction to today and to the window is insane. We lost a game, and weren't very good in it. its happened before and it'll happen again. its not about "accepting mediocrity" or any of that dismissive guff, it's about understanding that it is possible to lose a game without it being a harbinger of the impending apocalypse.

Scotty Leither
01-09-2018, 08:59 PM

I don t think Petrie and co are up to the job - simples - I appreciate that goes against the received wisdom on here. Not going to apologise for that either, as the last transfer window was a slap in the face to the fans that have fronted up financially.

And I don't have any pets, hamsters I dislike especially.

#2 Double Tap
01-09-2018, 09:06 PM
Nah - that's not healthy, and is essentially howling at the moon. They've been a mix of good, bad and indifferent to varying degrees, and for most part since Leeann came in it's been good.

This reaction to today and to the window is insane. We lost a game, and weren't very good in it. its happened before and it'll happen again. its not about "accepting mediocrity" or any of that dismissive guff, it's about understanding that it is possible to lose a game without it being a harbinger of the impending apocalypse.

totally agree with Leanne comment, she has been spot on, we still have loadsa good things and decent players, just feel we should have pushed on a little more and created more feel good factor! if only they had built a full sized indoor pitch when they built the complex to start with, maybe our budget woulda had an extra million quid in it!

Blaster
01-09-2018, 09:06 PM
Not read most of this thread but another game Slivka not involved

Why did we keep him?

#2 Double Tap
01-09-2018, 09:08 PM
Not read most of this thread but another game Slivka not involved

Why did we keep him?

cause vickys are always sticky

Blaster
01-09-2018, 09:11 PM
cause vickys are always sticky

Brilliant constructive reply 👍

#2 Double Tap
01-09-2018, 09:17 PM
Brilliant constructive reply 👍

nearly as funny as your one, sure wish I shared your wonderful sense of humour!

Ozymandias
01-09-2018, 09:23 PM
I don t think Petrie and co are up to the job - simples - I appreciate that goes against the received wisdom on here. Not going to apologise for that either, as the last transfer window was a slap in the face to the fans that have fronted up financially.

Were they up to the job last season?

JimBHibees
01-09-2018, 09:27 PM

Dear oh dear

marinello59
01-09-2018, 09:34 PM

Goes against the received wisdom? 😂😂😂
You are taking the place way to seriously if you think there is any sort of received wisdom. It’s Hibs fans swapping opinions, it’s rare there is any agreement and there is no right or wrong.

Scotty Leither
01-09-2018, 09:39 PM
Were they up to the job last season?

They didn't have the Mcginn and Murray transfer fees last season. They do now and we're reduced to playing stop-gap formations in a game we should be looking at anything less than 3 points as failure.

pacorosssco
01-09-2018, 09:45 PM
They didn't have the Mcginn and Murray transfer fees last season. They do now and we're reduced to playing stop-gap formations in a game we should be looking at anything less than 3 points as failure.

we have no right beat any team. yes it's a failure to not win but that applies all games? we didn't win games v Dumbarton etc when div 1. No tram wins every game they should

matty_f
01-09-2018, 09:51 PM

Our first team today was considerably more expensive to put together than Livingston's. Investment wasn't the issue today.

Ozymandias
01-09-2018, 10:08 PM

That's not answering the question I asked.

Scotty Leither
01-09-2018, 10:57 PM
That's not answering the question I asked.

I'd say 4th was reasonable. That's the issue - 4th should be the absolute minimum every season for Hibernian - I don't think the Board would agree though - mind you it's historically been hard to get them to publicly pronounce on anything.

Like I said, time to really give Dempster her head and allow her to choose a Board cast in her own image and vision for the club.

Mr Grieves
01-09-2018, 11:52 PM
I wasn't at the game today but it is pretty obvious that we don't have the strongest squad. When everyone is fully fit/has a work permit etc I think we will have one of the strongest starting 11's in the league but we're taking our chances thinking that'll get us through to January

Tornadoes70
02-09-2018, 01:40 AM
I was at the match today and that 'pitch' is very obviously not fit for purpose. In saying that we imploded after going a goal up after which I thought we'd either go on to win the match more comfortably or see it out but I was very much mistaken unfortunately.

That pitch will unsettle a number of teams and there should be one type pitch and size only for a level playing field.

Why they allow for disparate type surfaces and dimensions is a cause for much concern.