PDA

View Full Version : Time to look forward

we are hibs
01-09-2018, 06:09 AM
The window is gone and that's it. Some aren't happy with the way it went others are. But it's gone so time to look forward to the games coming up. Let's take it one game at a time and try and rack as many wins as possible up before the big 3 at the end of October. On paper we have a great chance to go on a good run so hopefully we can get today's game out the way, get a win and then regroup after the break and hopefully have injured players back, Milligan in and a couple weeks to refresh and go again after a hectic start.

murray26
01-09-2018, 06:13 AM
A win today would go along way towards cheering everyone up.. personally I’m happy with every signing we’ve made and think they’ll all have a positive impact on the team.. I can’t remember ever being happy with all our signings and I reckon Lennon has left something in the pot for January.

BILLYHIBS
01-09-2018, 06:19 AM
Can’t wait to see Milligan now! :thumbsup:

Springbank
01-09-2018, 06:20 AM
time To look forward....to a Halloween derby where a powderpuff "challenge" from our midfield is overrun, crosses galore landing in thé box, and Craig levein's typical big striker (with all his limitations as a footballer) probably scoring at least one, if we dont work hard to stop crosses coming in and/or territory being won/lost in thé middle.

youd think Ann Budge had thé mcginn millions not leeann

youd think Craig Levein had thé Europe money not lennon

how have we ended up with no midfield?????

NorthNorfolkHFC
01-09-2018, 06:36 AM
time To look forward....to a Halloween derby where a powderpuff "challenge" from our midfield is overrun, crosses galore landing in thé box, and Craig levein's typical big striker (with all his limitations as a footballer) probably scoring at least one, if we dont work hard to stop crosses coming in and/or territory being won/lost in thé middle.

Why are you jealous of their team? Go support them. I don’t recall Hearts paying over 150k for a player (Horgan), and don’t have the quality of someone like him on their books from where I can see.

Transfer windows are dictated by games won and points accumulated. Let’s see how we get on before drama queens like yourself say the season is done before it started.

If you are not up for that, go and support Hearts with their shiny, new team and battering ram striker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GlesgaeHibby
01-09-2018, 06:39 AM

:rolleyes: Take it you haven't been following the incoming transfers? We've signed Mallan, Milligan and Hyndman in midfield and lost McGinn, Dylan and Allan. 3 out, 3 in. Yes, the 3 out were superb for Hibs and the 3 in have a lot to live up to but Mallan has already had a great start (especially in terms of goal scoring and set plays). We've not seen enough of Hyndman yet, but was excellent when at Rangers. And by all accounts Milligan will be a very good signing to sit in front of the defence. (I know Swanson and Martin also left, but they were fringe players who were barely involved last season).

We now have a midfield of Mallan, Slivka, Bartley, Milligan, Whittaker, Hyndman, Fraser Murray. Plus 3 pacey wingers in Boyle, Horgan and Agyepong and 3 good strikers. Yes, we could have maybe done with one or two more in the door, but I'm pretty happy with what we've got and looking forward to the next run of games.

BoomtownHibees
01-09-2018, 06:42 AM
:rolleyes: Take it you haven't been following the incoming transfers? We've signed Mallan, Milligan and Hyndman in midfield and lost McGinn, Dylan and Allan. 3 out, 3 in. Yes, the 3 out were superb for Hibs and the 3 in have a lot to live up to but Mallan has already had a great start (especially in terms of goal scoring and set plays). We've not seen enough of Hyndman yet, but was excellent when at Rangers. And by all accounts Milligan will be a very good signing to sit in front of the defence. (I know Swanson and Martin also left, but they were fringe players who were barely involved last season).

We now have a midfield of Mallan, Slivka, Bartley, Milligan, Whittaker, Hyndman, Fraser Murray. Plus 3 pacey wingers in Boyle, Horgan and Agyepong and 3 good strikers. Yes, we could have maybe done with one or two more in the door, but I'm pretty happy with what we've got and looking forward to the next run of games.

Aye but apart from all of them we have no midfielders 🙄

And I’m having a tantrum “cos the Hertz have signed double the amount of players than us” 😭

BILLYHIBS
01-09-2018, 06:42 AM

Yip! That’s why I can’t wait to see Milligan will also need Bartley back fighting fit. We also have time to gel before Halloween but agree like every Hibby I would like to have seen a couple of marguee signings but it is what it is we now have to get on with it starting from today. Lenny said in his prematch interview important we win today as two weeks until Killie at home .Gonna be a long hard season. Let’s do this !

lyonhibs
01-09-2018, 06:48 AM

"no midfield" :confused:

You're at it. Also, it'll be a cold day in hell when I worry about how a Levein Hearts team might potentially play or who they've signed whilst we have Lennon at the helm

SMAXXA
01-09-2018, 06:51 AM
Hear hear, totally agree. I am one who was disappointed we didn’t bring in another couple but I will say it again, if Lennon is happy then he has my support, he will be the one who knows better than anyone and must be comfortable with what he has given how ambitious he is and how vocal he is at wanting to progress. Every player as always will get my full support even if we don’t hit the heights of last season, but at this stage as someone has pointed out before we still have to see some of our new signings which brings anticipation and excitement and when we are up to speed with a few back fit appt to be positive about.

MacGruber
01-09-2018, 06:52 AM

See what you are saying and agree to an extent. 3 strikers though isnt enough for me. Think we will get caught short with that. Also good signings in midfield but nobody that will control or dictate. Nobody the defence looks to as the link - unless of course Milligan is that type? I think missing those 2 players will be the difference between a good season and an excellent season.

Our big problem will be where Lennon's head is at. To say publicly we are too light and need a couple in to then not only not bring anyone in but loose more and end up even shorter. He could be raging and questioning the clubs ambition.

BILLYHIBS
01-09-2018, 06:54 AM
The only Hearts player I would take out of all the hundreds they have signed is Dimitri Mitchelll who looks like a Hibs player ( shame about his ill advised tweet )the rest not worth bothering about Dazza will take care of The so called battering ram who I admit looks a handful but still nothing to worry about :wink:

Sir David Gray
01-09-2018, 07:00 AM

Agreed. We were always going to struggle to replace McGinn, McGeouch and Allan when any of them left. The fact that all three have left in the same window is a real blow.

However only McGinn's departure was really within our control and even then it's difficult to keep a player when a club like Aston Villa comes calling with the riches on offer down there. McGeouch was out of contract so it was his prerogative to leave. Allan was never our player so that was never really within our control.

We have added, on the face of it at least, some quality players in midfield. Milligan hasn't played yet but appears to be a very low risk signing considering his age, pedigree and experience on the international stage. Horgan has looked very good so far and Mallan has started well. Agyepong is perhaps a bit more of a gamble considering his lack of experience but I think he definitely has potential. Hyndman is only here on a short term deal so I can only assume it's either with a view to the loan being extended in January until the end of the season or there's plans to bring in a replacement in January.

If you add them to the guys who were already there; Boyle, Bartley, Slivka and Whittaker then things don't look too bad. I wouldn't disagree that we're probably weaker in midfield than we were six months ago but that was always going to be the case.

I'm actually a bit more critical of the failure to sign another striker than I am about the perceived weakening of our midfield.

All things considered I don't think our squad is too bad at all and I'm very hopeful that we can at least match last season's efforts.

Heckys Wheel
01-09-2018, 07:03 AM
A win today would go along way towards cheering everyone up.. personally I’m happy with every signing we’ve made and think they’ll all have a positive impact on the team.. I can’t remember ever being happy with all our signings and I reckon Lennon has left something in the pot for January.

Completely agree. However, given the absolute carnage this site has become, can you imagine if we don’t get a win today.

Tough team to play against on, by all accounts, an absolutely shocking pitch. Let’s hope we do the business and get everybody looking forward again.

Sir David Gray
01-09-2018, 07:09 AM
Completely agree. However, given the absolute carnage this site has become, can you imagine if we don’t get a win today.

Tough team to play against on, by all accounts, an absolutely shocking pitch. Let’s hope we do the business and get everybody looking forward again.

Considering we're going to be without Marciano, McGregor, Bartley, Milligan and Kamberi and we're playing on one of the worst pitches I have ever seen in my life, at any level of football, a loss today won't have me worried about the rest of the season once we get our first choice team on the park.

GlesgaeHibby
01-09-2018, 07:10 AM
See what you are saying and agree to an extent. 3 strikers though isnt enough for me. Think we will get caught short with that. Also good signings in midfield but nobody that will control or dictate. Nobody the defence looks to as the link - unless of course Milligan is that type? I think missing those 2 players will be the difference between a good season and an excellent season.

Our big problem will be where Lennon's head is at. To say publicly we are too light and need a couple in to then not only not bring anyone in but loose more and end up even shorter. He could be raging and questioning the clubs ambition.

Maybe 3 strikers is light if we play the 352 all the time. If we switch to a 451 given that we have pacey wingers then I'm not too concerned. Quite like the look of this team:

Marciano
Gray Ambrose Hanlon Stevenson
Boyle Mallan Milligan Slivka Horgan
Kamberi

Beefster
01-09-2018, 07:14 AM
This time last year, folk were calling McGeouch lightweight and a waste of a wage.

‘Settle down until you actually see some evidence of the stuff you are panicking about’ would be my advice.

Spike Mandela
01-09-2018, 07:23 AM
First time I can remember a squad without 4 recognised strikers. We must be comfortable about picking someone up in the out of contract market.

Beefster
01-09-2018, 07:25 AM
First time I can remember a squad without 4 recognised strikers. We must be comfortable about picking someone up in the out of contract market.

I’m sure I’m being a forgetful fanny but who was the fourth recognised striker in the second half of last season?

Ralphy C
01-09-2018, 07:26 AM

Drama Queen reaction.

SquashedFrogg
01-09-2018, 07:27 AM
This time last year, folk were calling McGeouch lightweight and a waste of a wage.

‘Settle down until you actually see some evidence of the stuff you are panicking about’ would be my advice.

Agree. Lets see how things develop once all players are fit and available. I think some people may be surprised.

Rocky, Daz, Marv, Flo, Spike, Agyepong, still to come in/return. Plus new additions still bedding in.

Lots to be positive about.

Bangkok Hibby
01-09-2018, 07:35 AM
I'm excited about what's to come and sure we're going to have a good season once everybody is bedded in. Just something niggling away at me though. Is Lenny genuinely comfortable with things or is he inwardly seething he hasn't been able to get a few more players? He's a fantastic manager and we need him happy and excited for the challenge.

JimboHibs
01-09-2018, 07:38 AM
The window is gone and that's it. Some aren't happy with the way it went others are. But it's gone so time to look forward to the games coming up. Let's take it one game at a time and try and rack as many wins as possible up before the big 3 at the end of October. On paper we have a great chance to go on a good run so hopefully we can get today's game out the way, get a win and then regroup after the break and hopefully have injured players back, Milligan in and a couple weeks to refresh and go again after a hectic start.

😂😂😂

HH81
01-09-2018, 07:40 AM
Allan was not meant to be. Such is football. Some happen some don't.

We have seen in the past where on paper you look to have a good squad but they under perform. Other squads do better than you think.

Three games in and zero losses. Wait til everyone is up and running then we can judge the summer signings.

Live the dream.

B.H.F.C
01-09-2018, 07:45 AM
Win today and we have more points than we did after 4 games last year. We’ll be unbeaten having not played anything near our strongest 11 yet. Also have a quarter final in a few weeks.

All to play for. Just win today then use the international break to get players back fit.

Spike Mandela
01-09-2018, 07:46 AM
I’m sure I’m being a forgetful fanny but who was the fourth recognised striker in the second half of last season?

Yeah granted it maybe started second half of last season with us having Barker and Boyle both as wingers but we started the season with 4 recognised strikers when you include big Dave.

Just an observation that as long as I can remember we have started a season with 4 typical strikers. This year we have our two first choice strikers, our young striker knocking on the door but just think we are lacking one more back up striker. Do you disagree?

we are hibs
01-09-2018, 07:47 AM
😂😂😂

?

Beefster
01-09-2018, 07:50 AM
Yeah granted it maybe started second half of last season with us having Barker and Boyle both as wingers but we started the season with 4 recognised strikers when you include big Dave.

Just an observation that as long as I can remember we have started a season with 4 typical strikers. This year we have our two first choice strikers, our young striker knocking on the door but just think we are lacking one more back up striker. Do you disagree?

Dunno. Might be fine if the likes of Boyle and Horgan are considered suitable backups.

Spike Mandela
01-09-2018, 07:53 AM
Dunno. Might be fine if the likes of Boyle and Horgan are considered suitable backups.

They have to be back ups at the moment Beefster but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if we sign an out of contract striker in the coming days or weeks. Probably of a target man type a la Grant Holt/ Big Dave style.

Beefster
01-09-2018, 07:59 AM
They have to be back ups at the moment Beefster but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if we sign an out of contract striker in the coming days or weeks. Probably of a target man type a la Grant Holt/ Big Dave style.

I suspect you might be right. Lennon seems to love a big lump for bringing on late when all else has failed!