PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: EDDIE MAY'S LAST-MINUTE WINNER

RSS Bot
30-08-2018, 12:00 PM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/9139)

BILLYHIBS
30-08-2018, 12:20 PM
I was at the game. There was no TV coverage as the Cameramen were on strike. There was a TV Repair Shop ( remember them) selling VHS Video tape recordings of the game at Haymarket.Still got mine. When Eddie May scored the winner the old guy in front of me in the old east terracing turned to my group and shouted “ Eddie May a star is born!” I think Eddie May managed to escape from Jim McLeans slave labour camp for young boys at Dundee United.I sold him a car a few years after that! I don’t think I ever saw Roughie save a penalty for us. I don’t think he tried at penalties tbh :wink:

Kato
30-08-2018, 12:56 PM
I was at the game. There was no TV coverage as the Cameramen were on strike. There was a TV Repair Shop ( remember them) selling VHS Video tape recordings of the game at Haymarket.Still got mine. When Eddie May scored the winner the old guy in front of me in the old east terracing turned to my group and shouted “ Eddie May a star is born!” I think Eddie May managed to escape from Jim McLeans slave labour camp for young boys at Dundee United.I sold him a car a few years after that! I don’t think I ever saw Roughie save a penalty for us. I don’t think he tried at penalties tbh :wink:

Kenny Waugh had a camera film the game from above the tunnel. VHS copies went like hot-cakes.

DaveSo
30-08-2018, 01:07 PM

I'm sure Roughie saved a penalty in the 2-0 win from Ally McCoist over the old Rangers in the League Cup Semi that same season. It was in the home first leg. Turned out very important with Davie Cooper scoring the only goal of the game at the 2nd leg with a huge Hibs support that night. I was at both games, great nights.

BILLYHIBS
30-08-2018, 01:16 PM
I'm sure Roughie saved a penalty in the 2-0 win from Ally McCoist over the old Rangers in the League Cup Semi that same season. It was in the home first leg. Turned out very important with Davie Cooper scoring the only goal of the game at the 2nd leg with a huge Hibs support that night. I was at both games, great nights.
Yip! Think you are correct! Roughie I take that back! Well saved big man! :thumbsup:

Suburban Hibby
30-08-2018, 02:09 PM

Lol- I got the video from the same place! There was a pitch invasion from Celtic at the end where one of the Stewards absolutely crumpled a Septic fan- quality.

Stevie Reid
30-08-2018, 03:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqvQTxKp5Ag

Waxy
30-08-2018, 03:48 PM
One of my favorite ever matches.

Iggy Pope
30-08-2018, 07:52 PM
Kenny Waugh had a camera film the game from above the tunnel. VHS copies went like hot-cakes.

Great game and two fabulous victories over Celtic in the cups that season. Wasn't everyone that had a video recorder at the time though. I remember watching the full game in Marinello's on Leith Walk one drunken weeknight afterwards.

rcarter1
30-08-2018, 08:04 PM
That roar at the end you'd thought we won the Cup!

Must have been mental :nanafunk:

majorhibs
30-08-2018, 08:15 PM
That roar at the end you'd thought we won the Cup!

Must have been mental :nanafunk:

Felt like it at the time. Youth etc.. how are ye gonna lose a final after a victory like that... so the theory went.

rcarter1
30-08-2018, 08:18 PM
Felt like it at the time. Youth etc.. how are ye gonna lose a final after a victory like that... so the theory went.

Aye, I remember similar kind of reasoning after beating Rangers in the League Cup Semi Final 2003..

Nakedmanoncrack
30-08-2018, 08:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqvQTxKp5Ag

Best quality version I've seen of this, I remember the pitch invasion at the end (I went on from the East briefly) but no memory of the Celtic fans coming on, then quickly running away.

ValleyHibee
30-08-2018, 09:00 PM
Have the video too,amazing game just like skol cup game that went to penalties earlier in season.

ValleyHibee
30-08-2018, 09:04 PM
Lol- I got the video from the same place! There was a pitch invasion from Celtic at the end where one of the Stewards absolutely crumpled a Septic fan- quality.
It was their casuals(hahaha)that ran on.

ValleyHibee
30-08-2018, 09:10 PM
Was at both games,7,500 Hibees,got highlights on vhs somewhere,Hibs end half empty at first because of the horrendous traffic,not empty by the end,last ten mins felt like an hour,incredible night.

Nakedmanoncrack
30-08-2018, 09:13 PM
Great game and two fabulous victories over Celtic in the cups that season. Wasn't everyone that had a video recorder at the time though. I remember watching the full game in Marinello's on Leith Walk one drunken weeknight afterwards.

Two great wins over Celtic - to be fair the season ended well for them though 👍🏼

ValleyHibee
30-08-2018, 09:16 PM
Two great wins over Celtic - to be fair the season ended well for them though 👍🏼
Are you KIDDing,what could that be ?

Nakedmanoncrack
30-08-2018, 09:19 PM
Are you KIDDing,what could that be ?

😁

BILLYHIBS
30-08-2018, 09:25 PM
Remember the first leg of the semi- final at ER versus t Hun. Gordon Chisholm our big signing from Sunderland scored a towering header to send the home crowd into raptures. He later left us for a better deal and a bigger club in Dundee FC ? :dunno:

hibbymark
31-08-2018, 05:44 AM
My lasting memory of the game was sitting on the bus on Princess street heading home .

i was 15 at the time and a had been waving (cough) to the Celtic fans heading back to the train station

Next thing my bus which was turning right to go up the bridges had a untimely stop at the traffic lights .

Two Celtic fans in their 40s decided they would try to get the door of the bus open to get to me !

Thankfully the the bus driver wouldn’t let them on as they punched the doors and windows of the bus !

Tbh my halftime pie nearly came out both ends and I’ve never forgot the feeling of absolute fear lol

FilipinoHibs
31-08-2018, 06:33 AM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/9139)

Was there what a game and how the game and ER has changed.

CropleyWasGod
31-08-2018, 07:24 AM
My Dad still tells the story about how his wimp of a son stopped a couple of Celtc fans getting a kicking that day. 🤣

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

heretoday
31-08-2018, 05:07 PM
My lasting memory of the game was sitting on the bus on Princess street heading home .

i was 15 at the time and a had been waving (cough) to the Celtic fans heading back to the train station

Next thing my bus which was turning right to go up the bridges had a untimely stop at the traffic lights .

Two Celtic fans in their 40s decided they would try to get the door of the bus open to get to me !

Thankfully the the bus driver wouldn’t let them on as they punched the doors and windows of the bus !

Tbh my halftime pie nearly came out both ends and I’ve never forgot the feeling of absolute fear lol

All good family fun!

HibbyAndy
31-08-2018, 05:08 PM

How , What happened ?!