PDA

View Full Version : Scotland, Wales to Spearhead World Cup Bid

Dashing Bob S
30-08-2018, 11:24 AM
Yes, I laughed too...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45349026

Carheenlea
30-08-2018, 11:28 AM
Hopefully Hearts can get the stand completed in time to host the World Cup Final.

Billy Whizz
30-08-2018, 11:29 AM
Hopefully Hearts can get the stand completed in time to host the World Cup Final.

They can get it completed all they like, but the pitch is too small

hibsforeurope
30-08-2018, 11:34 AM

They could maybe do something like that stadium in Russia. They could dig down the pitch and have the goals and run off areas under the stands.

Billy Whizz
30-08-2018, 11:36 AM
They could maybe do something like that stadium in Russia. They could dig down the pitch and have the goals and run off areas under the stands.

Don’t give Budge any ideas

Hibs Class
30-08-2018, 11:51 AM

Think it would come down to the Millennium stadium or Murrayfield

Diclonius
30-08-2018, 11:52 AM
A UK wide bid would be great.

Diclonius
30-08-2018, 12:02 PM
What stadia would be used if there was a UK-wide bid? I'm guessing it would have to be one per city (except perhaps London & Glasgow) to space things out a bit.

West Scotland: Hampden & Parkhead/Ibrox
East Scotland: Murrayfield
Wales: Millenium Stadium
Northern Ireland: Windsor Park (increased capacity)
South East: Wembley & Emirates/Olympic Stadium/New Tottenham Stadium/Stamford Bridge
North West: Old Trafford & Anfield
North East: St James' Park/Stadium of Light
Yorkshire: Elland Road/Hillsborough
Midlands: Villa Park

Danderhall Hibs
30-08-2018, 12:04 PM

We keep saying this yet every pundit in Scotland mentions Tiny as an option for international matches when discussing not playing at Hampden.

Who’s right?

ScottB
30-08-2018, 12:05 PM
There's a combined South American bid, including Uruguay, already in for 2030. That being 100 years since the first tournament, in Uruguay, I'd imagine that's a strong bid.

A combined Home Nations bid for a future tournament makes sense though, thanks to the expansion to 40 odd teams, I doubt we'll see many single nation bids again.

FilipinoHibs
30-08-2018, 12:10 PM

I am in fits of laughter. It will keep me going all tommorrow.

IGRIGI
30-08-2018, 12:16 PM
It would be the stadium version of Team GB, Hampden and the Millenium stadium thrown in as the token non English stadiums.

Throw in the likes of Douglas Alexander and co having a boak inducing sherman tank over how a political union is absolutely necessary for this and and they can shove it.

NAE NOOKIE
30-08-2018, 12:29 PM
We are going to have a joint world cup hosted by Mexico, Canada and the USA involving eye watering travelling distances for the fans …. in that context a joint bid by the 4 so called 'home nations' is entirely feasible and IMO ( and as the article says ) FIFA would probably seriously consider it.

If the UK and Scottish governments were to back such a bid, as the article seems to suggest they would, and I don't see why not seeing as how the British government were all over England's bid the last time, then we could put the whole discussion over the redevelopment of Hampden to bed at a stroke. The UK already has enough modern and capacity appropriate stadiums to host a world cup tomorrow ….. given the amount of money other countries have spent building entirely new stadiums for the event it would be nothing short of a scandal if the UK government were to back such a bid and then refuse to ante up for the redevelopment of a single stadium to make the bid complete ….. IE Hampden.

MyJo
30-08-2018, 12:44 PM
It would be the stadium version of Team GB, Hampden and the Millenium stadium thrown in as the token non English stadiums.

Throw in the likes of Douglas Alexander and co having a boak inducing sherman tank over how a political union is absolutely necessary for this and and they can shove it.

I'm pretty sure there is a rule for these bids that there are no more than two venues within the same city and the article says there is to be 16 stadiums with 40k capacity.

Probably Ibrox that would lose out but we have Murrayfield, Hampden and Parkhead that are good to go to meet that criteria.

The two venue per city rule would restrict what venues are used within London with Wembley and either Spurs stadium or the Olympic Stadium chosen.

Two in Manchester, Two in Liverpool, Newcastle, Sunderland, Birmingham and Cardiff that meet the criteria and you've still only got 13 venues.

So they are looking at trying to get stadiums like Hillsborough, Leeds, Middlesbrough, Southampton, Leicester etc upgraded to meet the criteria as it is so I can't imagine them refusing to utilise places like Hampden and Murrayfield in order to spend loads of money to upgrade more English stadiums that don't need it outwith usage for a tournament like this.

Diclonius
30-08-2018, 12:51 PM
I'm pretty sure there is a rule for these bids that there are no more than two venues within the same city and the article says there is to be 16 stadiums with 40k capacity.

Probably Ibrox that would lose out but we have Murrayfield, Hampden and Parkhead that are good to go to meet that criteria.

The two venue per city rule would restrict what venues are used within London with Wembley and either Spurs stadium or the Olympic Stadium chosen.

Two in Manchester, Two in Liverpool, Newcastle, Sunderland, Birmingham and Cardiff that meet the criteria and you've still only got 13 venues.

So they are looking at trying to get stadiums like Hillsborough, Leeds, Middlesbrough, Southampton, Leicester etc upgraded to meet the criteria as it is so I can't imagine them refusing to utilise places like Hampden and Murrayfield in order to spend loads of money to upgrade more English stadiums that don't need it outwith usage for a tournament like this.

Us/Aberdeen/them could also lobby to get our respective stadia upgraded to 40,000 for no reason and Dundee/United can get the joint stadium they've been after for a while (though probably not if Dundee are going ahead with their new one).

LustForLeith
30-08-2018, 06:17 PM
I wouldn’t be surprised if Scotland did co host it and we still failed to qualify...

Hermit Crab
30-08-2018, 07:13 PM
2-1 to Scotland, been like that since 7minutes in.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
30-08-2018, 07:36 PM

They could use Tiny as one of those Fan Zones that seem to be all the rage.

CockneyRebel
31-08-2018, 09:23 AM
[QUOTE=Diclonius;5534797]Us/Aberdeen/them could also lobby to get our respective stadia upgraded to 40,000 for no reason and Dundee/United can get the joint stadium they've been after for a while (though probably not if Dundee are going ahead with their new one).[/QUOTE

Don't THEY have a pitch that's too short?]