PDA

View Full Version : White sleeves or not

blackpoolhibs
30-08-2018, 06:33 AM
On another thread, there is a picture of Jimmy O'Rourke in what i think is our best ever strip, the deep bottle/racing green one with no white sleeves.

I'm not that bothered about the white sleeves, but realise others will feel different.

Thought i'd do a poll to get some sort of idea who's bothered either way?

Hope this works as its my first poll?

J-C
30-08-2018, 07:08 AM
I know historically we didn't start of with what we have now and the all green top a couple of years back celebrated the team of the time. We had a connection to Arsenal many years ago and we adopted their white sleeves. Our original strip was all white with green socks, we then had hoops before going to bottle green, the white sleeves came in 1938.

calumhibee1
30-08-2018, 07:17 AM
Can’t vote on my phone but white sleeves every time for me. Has to just be sleeves though, no shoulders.

SuperAllyMcleod
30-08-2018, 07:19 AM
White sleeves are a must - unless you have been given the power to change that then I don’t see the point of this thread? No one is advocating a move away from white sleeves and it seems a bit of a pointless exercise?

Joe6-2
30-08-2018, 07:19 AM
No white sleeves, if they are long white looks ok, but not short sleeves

BILLYHIBS
30-08-2018, 07:22 AM
No white sleeves, if they are long white looks ok, but not short sleeves
Noticed Jamie Mac wore long white sleeves on Saturday and not the short sleeves with white body armour underneath looked class though not as good as his goal! :greengrin

HIBERNIAN-0762
30-08-2018, 07:23 AM
Not for me. Green all the way with perhaps a white trim.

nonshinyfinish
30-08-2018, 07:27 AM
White sleeves are a must - unless you have been given the power to change that then I don’t see the point of this thread? No one is advocating a move away from white sleeves and it seems a bit of a pointless exercise?

If we can only discuss things we have direct control over then most of the forum should be binned.

White sleeves.

SuperAllyMcleod
30-08-2018, 07:30 AM
If we can only discuss things we have direct control over then most of the forum should be binned.

White sleeves.

Aye, fair enough - it’s still early [emoji4]

Austinho
30-08-2018, 07:32 AM
Given the choice in the 1930’s, I’d probably have gone with all green shirt, but nowadays it has to be white sleeves - it’s iconically Hibs.

I’d like to see all bottle green away or 3rd shirts more often.

Barman Stanton
30-08-2018, 07:33 AM
A big yes for me. The iconic images of the Famous Five, Turnbulls Tornadoes and the Cup win all had white sleeves. It makes our strip unique. Happy to stand corrected but I cant think of any other team that has that combo.

Hibs1969
30-08-2018, 07:33 AM
White sleeves every time. The green body with white sleeves has been our defining look for more than 80 years and it helps set us apart from the rest of the pack. Looking at old black and white photos of us in that strip, we are easily identifiable. The images of the famous five or Turnbull’s Tornadoes playing in our famous green and white kit are iconic and help make our club what it is today.

But please, no repeat of that horrific shirt from the 90s with the green and white striped sleeves. That was absolutely awful.

G B Young
30-08-2018, 08:03 AM
Got to be white sleeves. There are folk who became Hibs fans solely because they loved the green shirt with the white sleeves. The classic Tornadoes strip in particular is one of the greatest ever to be worn by a football team.

Lancs Harp
30-08-2018, 08:17 AM
Not being a native of Edinburgh or indeed Scotland, I would say the iconic green strip with white sleeves was certainly at least part of my draw to Hibs as a youngster. Having always been football mad, as a little lad I had a scrap book with pictures collected from the likes of Shoot magazine in it and still remember a particular picture of John Blackley in the famous strip which as far as I can remember is responsible for sowing the seeds to my Hibs allegiance. A Hibs subbuteo followed a birthday or two later.

Pretty Boy
30-08-2018, 08:29 AM
The classic Hibs strips have green bodies and white sleeves. Some things should be sacred.

worcesterhibby
30-08-2018, 08:32 AM
I love the white sleeves....plus an all bottle green strip is virtually camouflage...I reckon players would find it harder to pick each other out with peripheral vision..like that Man Utd Grey strip in the 1990's. Having said that, the safety bib yellow/lime away kit we had didn't turn us into Barcelona !

Carheenlea
30-08-2018, 08:46 AM
I love the white sleeves....plus an all bottle green strip is virtually camouflage...I reckon players would find it harder to pick each other out with peripheral vision..like that Man Utd Grey strip in the 1990's. Having said that, the safety bib yellow/lime away kit we had didn't turn us into Barcelona !

Our green with white sleeved shirt is a unique and recognisable strip for most football fans in the UK. An all green shirt would just be any another strip. As smart as the all green is, our identity and most of our history has been with the current design - green with white sleeves for me.

Hibbyradge
30-08-2018, 08:50 AM
The all green top was smart, and it would make a good one off, but the white sleeves make the strip special.

They make it a Hibs strip as opposed to a generic green top.

Hibbyradge
30-08-2018, 08:51 AM
Our green with white sleeved shirt is a unique and recognisable strip for most football fans in the UK. An all green shirt would just be any another strip. As smart as the all green is, our identity and most of our history has been with the current design - green with white sleeves for me.

Damn. I should have read the entire thread.

That's exactly what I think, and more or less said.

sauzee=legend
30-08-2018, 08:56 AM
Just have 1 sleeve green and 1 sleeve white... keeps everyone happy 😂
Saying that - someone would complain the white is on the left sleeve and not the right etc

MyJo
30-08-2018, 08:58 AM
For me the Home kit should always have white sleeves and predominantly white shorts.

I'm not adverse to having an all green kit for special occasions or anniversaries etc but we should look to this for away or third kits rather than our home kit.

SCHAEDYSHORTS
30-08-2018, 09:01 AM
White sleeves every time, it’s our identity now 🇳🇬

Groathillgrump
30-08-2018, 09:09 AM
It's not a proper Hibs strip without white sleeves in my opinion.

<------- My favourite strip is the classic one shown on my avatar. :greengrin

LancsHibs
30-08-2018, 09:09 AM
What about no sleeves, we could have a kit like an Aussie Rules team

basehibby
30-08-2018, 09:10 AM
White sleeves for me - I liked the all green kit we had one year. But the key words in that sentence were "one year". The green with white sleeves is a classic kit - iconic!

Barman Stanton
30-08-2018, 09:11 AM
Just have 1 sleeve green and 1 sleeve white... keeps everyone happy 😂
Saying that - someone would complain the white is on the left sleeve and not the right etc

I don't think it would. It will be an incredibly small % of fans that would want to change to all green. I'm amazed any Hibee would want the all green to be honest, but each to their own.

dalkeith stu
30-08-2018, 09:16 AM
What about no sleeves, we could have a kit like an Aussie Rules team

Or Cameroon 2002.

Since90+2
30-08-2018, 09:20 AM
Always white sleeves without a doubt.

Hi Heid Yin
30-08-2018, 09:54 AM
A Hibs shirt without white sleeves would be a desecration and unforgivable.

Stevie Reid
30-08-2018, 09:57 AM
I'd be up for an all green one for one season. The last attempt was ruined by the Marathon Bet logo.

NAE NOOKIE
30-08-2018, 10:51 AM
White sleeves all the way.

We might have copied the idea from Arsenal but IMO our strip looks a lot better …. you see a few strips with white sleeves with red or blue bodies, in fact did Arbroath not rock up at ER a few seasons ago in a maroon top with white sleeves? :greengrin … Anyway, for some reason none of those strips ever seem to work as well as green does, the classic Hibs kit of Green top with white sleeves, white shorts and green socks with white tops is IMO one of the best strips in world football.

Its a fact that the strip sets us apart as well, nobody has anything resembling it and you cant mistake somebody wearing it for anything other than a Hibs fan. If you don't believe me just look at the current advert for SKY sports, there's dozens of team shirts in the advert, but even though the guy in the Hibs top isn't even front and centre in the ad and only appears for a few seconds you can pick him out a mile off :aok:

Like one of the posters above said, I also hate it when the white runs over the shoulder … just the sleeves please!

SirDavidsNapper
30-08-2018, 11:25 AM
Hated our all bottle green top a few years ago. It just wasn't Hibs. Was dull and bland. Must be what it's like being a Hearts fan. There's nothing better than seeing the emerald green and white running out the tunnel at Easter Road. Turns me into a wide eyed 5 year old every time.

Baader
30-08-2018, 02:17 PM
White sleeves for me.

Lago
30-08-2018, 03:04 PM
When I started going to ER it was to watch the Tornadoes, absolutely captivated by the strip. White sleeves always. Iconic.:agree:

Keith_M
30-08-2018, 04:05 PM
Looks pretty conclusive to me.

:greengrin

heidtheba
30-08-2018, 04:57 PM
White sleeves for me.

But...my first ST was during the '94/95' season and I LOVED that Calor Gas 'candy stripe' sleeve effect. I know that would probably be sacrilegious for some on here, and I can see their point, but it brings back so many happy memories.

Eyrie
30-08-2018, 07:25 PM
On another thread, there is a picture of Jimmy O'Rourke in what i think is our best ever strip, the deep bottle/racing green one with no white sleeves.

I'm not that bothered about the white sleeves, but realise others will feel different.

Thought i'd do a poll to get some sort of idea who's bothered either way?

Hope this works as its my first poll?

Your poll works very well :not worth

Onion
30-08-2018, 07:29 PM
long white sleeves, green cuffs.

weecounty hibby
30-08-2018, 07:45 PM
As has been said by many others imo its just not a Hibs strip without the white sleeves. Iconic

ValleyHibee
30-08-2018, 09:21 PM
Without a doubt,White sleeves always

The_Horde
30-08-2018, 09:27 PM
This one really has folks on the fence..

TelaStella
30-08-2018, 10:28 PM
White sleeves, emerald green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacomo
30-08-2018, 10:57 PM
As has been said by others, I think there’s a technical issue with bottle green strips, especially on a dreich day. The players just can’t see each other as well.

So emerald green with white sleeves (with a little bit of bottle green detail) is best for me. I loved the ‘doon the slope’ shirt from a few years ago, and I like this season’s too.

Inconsequential
30-08-2018, 11:36 PM
A big yes for me. The iconic images of the Famous Five, Turnbulls Tornadoes and the Cup win all had white sleeves. It makes our strip unique. Happy to stand corrected but I cant think of any other team that has that combo. Some Plymouth Argyle strips over the years have been similar to the Hibs strip. Ironically when Bobby Williamson left Hibs it was for Plymouth iirc.

Austinho
31-08-2018, 12:23 AM
I’d prefer it if we always played in white shorts and white socks. Reminds me of European nights and that Cup Final.

The green shorts and socks combo of the 2007 cup win and Mowbray era are a massive no for me.

SirDavidsNapper
31-08-2018, 05:50 AM
I’d prefer it if we always played in white shorts and white socks. Reminds me of European nights and that Cup Final.

The green shorts and socks combo of the 2007 cup win and Mowbray era are a massive no for me.

I agree. White socks look great

wpj
31-08-2018, 06:48 AM
White sleeves every time. The green body with white sleeves has been our defining look for more than 80 years and it helps set us apart from the rest of the pack. Looking at old black and white photos of us in that strip, we are easily identifiable. The images of the famous five or Turnbull’s Tornadoes playing in our famous green and white kit are iconic and help make our club what it is today.

But please, no repeat of that horrific shirt from the 90s with the green and white striped sleeves. That was absolutely awful.

The non family photos I have on my wall are Johnny Cash, Miles Davis, a coloured pic of George best in the Bukta top and a signed B&W photo of Pat Stanton. While it's B&W there's no doubt its green and white, it's iconic. Happy for tribute strips occasionally but it's green and white for me.

The Harp Awakes
31-08-2018, 07:19 AM
An all green jersey with white trims, and an all white away jersey with green trims for me.

Oh, and with a golden harp on the chest.