PDA

View Full Version : Selkirk FC

Carheenlea
29-08-2018, 07:18 AM
Heard on local radio this morning that the Scottish Borders oldest club, Selkirk FC are finishing up after 138 years with unsustainable debts, and ultimately unable to pay a recent fine for failing to fulfil fixtures. Hibs have enjoyed good relations with the club in recent years with annual friendly matches and it’s always a shame to see clubs in big trouble. A lot of questions will be asked about where a lot of the money went at Yarrow Park, but questions will also be asked if the Lowland League and Junior clubs joining senior leagues to participate pyramid system is such a great idea after all? Selkirk won’t be the last of their like to go burst.

http://www.bordertelegraph.com/sport/16602379.football-bosses-in-selkirk-reach-the-end-of-the-road/

hibbysam
29-08-2018, 07:22 AM
Heard on local radio this morning that the Scottish Borders oldest club, Selkirk FC are finishing up after 138 years with unsustainable debts, and ultimately unable to pay a recent fine for failing to fulfil fixtures. Hibs have enjoyed good relations with the club in recent years with annual friendly matches and it’s always a shame to see clubs in big trouble. A lot of questions will be asked about where a lot of the money went at Yarrow Park, but questions will also be asked if the Lowland League and Junior clubs joining senior leagues to participate pyramid system is such a great idea after all? Selkirk won’t be the last of their like to go burst.

http://www.bordertelegraph.com/sport/16602379.football-bosses-in-selkirk-reach-the-end-of-the-road/

I would say this is more an exceptional case. Most clubs are fairly sensible when it comes to money, however having debts of a reported £130k for a side like Selkirk is mental. Part of that I heard was payments and bonuses to players, however the majority was a £100k loan forms. Committee member. Be interesting how it unfolds as I’m sure the authorities will be looking into where all the money has gone.

WeeRussell
29-08-2018, 07:41 AM
I would say this is more an exceptional case. Most clubs are fairly sensible when it comes to money, however having debts of a reported £130k for a side like Selkirk is mental. Part of that I heard was payments and bonuses to players, however the majority was a £100k loan forms. Committee member. Be interesting how it unfolds as I’m sure the authorities will be looking into where all the money has gone.

Yep. Man comes in with promises of big money for the club. Man leaves burden of big debts remaining at the club.

Pretty Boy
29-08-2018, 07:52 AM
I understand there are rules but is a fine of £500 and asking for a bond of £750 really a sensible way of dealing with this situation? Surely the authorities should be working with clubs to try and keep them as a going concern rather than hammering the final nails into the coffin?

Golden Bear
29-08-2018, 07:57 AM
And so the merde has hit the fan.

For several years now I have wondered how a club like Selkirk could maintain such a high profile and attract Managers and players which their peers could only dream of.

Its still a mystery how the disastrous financial situation has been allowed to develop before the alarm bells started to ring. Surely any committee worth their salt would have questioned the situation long before now?

Golden Bear
29-08-2018, 08:01 AM
Also found this article in a local newspaper:-

http://www.bordertelegraph.com/news/16419441.struggling-selkirk-to-raise-court-action-against-former-chairman/

This article is from a fortnight ago.

Brightside
29-08-2018, 08:10 AM
The club was run by idiots over the last few years... real shame after the progress that was made on the pitch last season.

calumhibee1
29-08-2018, 08:15 AM
Sure GOC was full time when he was manager there. Then they found out he couldn’t manage a team so he was kept on in a full time paid role doing next to nothing. Or so I was told anyway, might well be nonsense.

CMurdoch
29-08-2018, 11:44 AM
The club was run by idiots over the last few years... real shame after the progress that was made on the pitch last season.

Was the second half of your sentence not achieved by the method of the folks described in the first half.

worcesterhibby
29-08-2018, 12:01 PM
I didn't realise that Gordon Rae was managing them. The finances have obviously been run appallingly, but would be sad to see them fold. It beggars belief that anyone thought that Garry O would be a good choice for manager. He was a fine footballer on his day but the man is a disaster at managing his own life, never mind a football club.

Billy Whizz
29-08-2018, 12:10 PM
I didn't realise that Gordon Rae was managing them. The finances have obviously been run appallingly, but would be sad to see them fold. It beggars belief that anyone thought that Garry O would be a good choice for manager. He was a fine footballer on his day but the man is a disaster at managing his own life, never mind a football club.

Rae only joined last month, none of his doing

worcesterhibby
29-08-2018, 12:33 PM
Rae only joined last month, none of his doing

I didn't mean to imply that it was, apologies if it came over that way. Gordon was a hero of mine growing up, I assumed it was all down to the previous Chairman.

Billy Whizz
29-08-2018, 12:37 PM
I didn't mean to imply that it was, apologies if it came over that way. Gordon was a hero of mine growing up, I assumed it was all down to the previous Chairman.

I know you didn’t. Think he only came after Hibs played them last month

HIBERNIAN-0762
29-08-2018, 12:56 PM
Very sad but I'm sure they will resurface at some point. 👍

jacomo
29-08-2018, 12:59 PM
Sad it’s come to this. Founder members of the SFA and all that.

cabbageandribs1875
29-08-2018, 01:17 PM
Very sad but I'm sure they will resurface at some point. 👍

the selkirk fc

hibbyfraelibby
29-08-2018, 01:51 PM
Became a rich man's plaything and then died...ring any bells?

Curried
29-08-2018, 02:29 PM
Really sorry to hear this….My Grandfather captained the round-ball-playing rugby team at Yarrow Park in the 1913-14 season.

Brightside
29-08-2018, 02:40 PM
Was the second half of your sentence not achieved by the method of the folks described in the first half.

Not really - they got decent coaches in for the first time and paid them pennies. none of the players were superstars.

HIBERNIAN-0762
29-08-2018, 03:10 PM
the selkirk fc

👍

Tom Hart RIP
29-08-2018, 03:26 PM

Big Gordon stays in Selkirk. He managed the Selkirk/Hibs select against Man City legends the was asked if he would take the first team (unpaid) as a favour and agreed to help out.
in his first game they couldn’t raise 11 players and had to play with 10. Since then he has had trials but it hasn’t worked out.

where'stheslope
29-08-2018, 03:55 PM
Such a shame when they finally shut their doors.
My nephew played for Selkirk about 10 years ago, and an old workmate played for them back in the 60's.
It just seems to be a sign of the times, as Selkirk lost all the work and a load of youngsters headed of to sunnier climbs, it was always likely that the football club in a big rugby environment would end up paying the ultimate price!!!
Shame!!!

KWJ
29-08-2018, 07:30 PM
Did Bobby Johnstone play for them? Think so and know he was from there. Assume that's our main link with the club. Certainly not GOC.

CMurdoch
29-08-2018, 08:25 PM
Not really - they got decent coaches in for the first time and paid them pennies. none of the players were superstars.

So it was ****** financially before last season