PDA

View Full Version : Neil Lennon - Some positive stats

Jamesie
27-08-2018, 10:23 PM
Was looking at some records and found as follows:

Saturday's game against Aberdeen marked Neil Lennon's 101st game in charge of Hibs, eclipsing Alan Stubbs' 100 games in the managerial hotseat.
His 108th match - which will see him eclipse Tony Mowbray and become our longest serving manager since Alex McLeish (164 games) will either be against Rangers or the League Cup semi on the weekend of 27 October: if for any reason we don't play that weekend it will be the Derby on 31st October

With a percentage win record of 51.49% Lennon is equal to Hugh Shaw (albeit Shaw managed us for a total of 604 games!) and is closing in on Alan Stubbs’ 58% (which, bear in mind, took place solely in the Championship).

With a decent season he could well finish the term close to our two most successful managers in terms of results - those individuals being with Dan McMichael (58% from 50 matches) and Jock Stein (62% from 50 matches).

If anyone needs reminding of the journey we’ve come on since 2013, when Terry Butcher was sacked he had a record of 20.69% from 29 games - second only to Franck Sauzee in terms of the poorest win return in our history.

I sincerely hope Lennon is with us long enough to break Alex McLeish's record of 164 games in charge - and if he's around long enough to get anywhere near Alex Miller's 453 games I for one won't be complaining!

Diclonius
27-08-2018, 10:37 PM
Good stats, but worth pointing out that McMichael is not actually our second most successful manager - the stats you have are from his first spell. He had a far longer second spell with a lower win rate.

Our second most successful manager is actually Stubbs.

houstonhibbee
27-08-2018, 10:40 PM

Saturday's game against Aberdeen marked Neil Lennon's 101st game in charge of Hibs, eclipsing Alan Stubbs' 100 games in the managerial hotseat.

His 108th match - which will see him eclipse Tony Mowbray and become our longest serving manager since Alex McLeish (164 games) will either be against Rangers or the League Cup semi on the weekend of 27 October: if for any reason we don't play that weekend it will be the Derby on 31st October

With a percentage win record of 51.49% Lennon is equal to Hugh Shaw (albeit Shaw managed us for a total of 604 games!) and is closing in on Alan Stubbs’ 58% (which, bear in mind, took place solely in the Championship).

With a decent season he could well finish the term close to our two most successful managers in terms of results - those individuals being with Dan McMichael (58% from 50 matches) and Jock Stein (62% from 50 matches).

If anyone needs reminding of the journey we’ve come on since 2013, when Terry Butcher was sacked he had a record of 20.69% from 29 games - second only to Franck Sauzee in terms of the poorest win return in our history.

I sincerely hope Lennon is with us long enough to break Alex McLeish's record of 164 games in charge - and if he's around long enough to get anywhere near Alex Miller's 453 games I for one won't be complaining!

Excellent. He may harbor other ambitions but I would offer him a 5 year Contract. Apart from the hard statistics the man is also a great ambassador for the club, says all the right things and interviews eloquently and intelligently. We would never replace him with an equal.

truehibernian
27-08-2018, 10:44 PM
He has incredibly high standards but understands that a team must run out onto that pitch knowing they can and will win, and not just accept a point. Too often under certain managers, and admittedly fuelled by the negativity from the stands, we played to 'not lose', rather then play to go and win. One thing I credit Stubbs with is the derby attitude - every derby we played under Stubbs we dominated and played the better football and he instilled a really good mentality in these games, first manager to do that since McLeish for me.

The fans have been tremendous in our turnaround but they have more importantly adjusted their way of thinking - I honestly don't think anyone can underestimate the positivity that fans have had on our success too. In games where we have gone 1 or 2 down previously there would have been a toxic atmosphere. Now, not that it's often, when we lose a goal, the support do what they are good at (and should do) and really get behind the team. Much of that positive support comes from Lennon and the whole backroom's belief that we are a big club who should never accept defeat.

When you see the difference in approach between Fenlon/Butcher and Stubbs/Lennon it's night and day in every sense of the phrase. Much of it boils down to respect too.

California-Hibs
28-08-2018, 12:11 AM
I absolutely love the man. As the stats show, we're very lucky to have him!

Crunchie
28-08-2018, 12:20 AM
I absolutely love the man. As the stats show, we're very lucky to have him!

I was gutted when Stubbsy left and it took me a while to warm to Lenny, but I have to say he's long since won me over with his passion and commitment to the cause. I do think he inherited a cracking squad mind you with some fabulous players, and that was all down to Stubbsy, who took over when we were an absolute shambles.
I hope he stays around for years to come, I'm sure he has trophies in him.

monktonharp
28-08-2018, 12:43 AM
I was gutted when Stubbsy left and it took me a while to warm to Lenny, but I have to say he's long since won me over with his passion and commitment to the cause. I do think he inherited a cracking squad mind you with some fabulous players, and that was all down to Stubbsy, who took over when we were an absolute shambles.
I hope he stays around for years to come, I'm sure he has trophies in him.:agree:I too had the same feelings. Stubbs, John Doolan and big Taffs were a great time. they brought us what we all yearned for and I was gutted when they left. When Neil Lennon came in I was exited, and yet worried that he was just in flux, and waiting on a better opportunity. he has stayed more than I actually thought to be honest and I am delighted. can see him winning the Scottish cup for us next year if he stays. :cb

I'm Spartacus
28-08-2018, 11:10 AM
"Hi Neil - what would it take for you to stay 10 years?" That's the type of discussions we need to be having.

He loves where he lives, plays golf down the east coast and he says that lifestyle is perfect for him. We should be making sure we tick all his boxes.

Aside from that - Sellick fan in work desperately wants him back, we had the chat yesterday of "What would Lennon have done with Boyata?" Booted him out the door by his baws was the consensus.

Sir David Gray
28-08-2018, 11:29 AM
Saturday was Lennon's 102nd match in charge. Good stats otherwise. :aok:

Jack Hackett
28-08-2018, 12:00 PM
I don't need stats to know that I love the man. :greengrin

danhibees1875
28-08-2018, 12:10 PM
Incredible win ratio considering how often we draw; his loss ratio must be our smallest for any manager?

I don't always agree with his selections/tactics/subs - but you can't argue with those stats. Stubbs done a great job of transitioning us from the lows of Butcher, and NL has taken on an arguably harder job of taking us up another level from there. :thumbsup:

jacomo
28-08-2018, 09:37 PM
I hope he stays around for years to come, I'm sure he has trophies in him.

I was very pleased we went for Lennon (in itself this showed the renewed confidence at Hibs) but otherwise agree with everything you say.

We are a good fit. Of course if Celtc come begging we may have a big problem on our hands, but maybe it wouldn’t be a done deal? He won plenty of trophies with them as player and manager. How can he top that?

Winning a major trophy with Hibs, though... that would be very special.

McD
28-08-2018, 09:41 PM

Thanks for this Jamesie, really interesting facts.

also puts into context Alex Miller’s achievement in managing us for so long, that’s an incredible number when compared to every manager who’s followed him

KWJ
29-08-2018, 10:21 AM
Good thread, great read. Thanks.

In Lennon we trust.

theonlywayisup
29-08-2018, 10:37 AM

What was Pat Fenlon's stats like? Thought he had been at Hibs longer than Neil Lennon.

And Yogi's would be an interesting read - terrific for the first part of his tenure, then shocking for the latter part.

cam2644
29-08-2018, 10:48 AM
He has incredibly high standards but understands that a team must run out onto that pitch knowing they can and will win, and not just accept a point. Too often under certain managers, and admittedly fuelled by the negativity from the stands, we played to 'not lose', rather then play to go and win. One thing I credit Stubbs with is the derby attitude - every derby we played under Stubbs we dominated and played the better football and he instilled a really good mentality in these games, first manager to do that since McLeish for me.

The fans have been tremendous in our turnaround but they have more importantly adjusted their way of thinking - I honestly don't think anyone can underestimate the positivity that fans have had on our success too. In games where we have gone 1 or 2 down previously there would have been a toxic atmosphere. Now, not that it's often, when we lose a goal, the support do what they are good at (and should do) and really get behind the team. Much of that positive support comes from Lennon and the whole backroom's belief that we are a big club who should never accept defeat.

When you see the difference in approach between Fenlon/Butcher and Stubbs/Lennon it's night and day in every sense of the phrase. Much of it boils down to respect too.

A really good summary.

Juniper Greens
29-08-2018, 11:00 AM
The one thing I had noted under Lenny was that we rarely lose...so I compared the figures. Head an shoulders above everyone!

Loss % is 16.8%

Next best (taking Dan McMichael as one manager) is Jock Stein on 22%, then Stubbsy on 23%.

Shows you why the last few years have been so enjoyable, not feeling c**p every Saturday evening!

(For comparison; Calderwood, 4th worst at 53%, Butcher 5th worst at 52% Hughes 12th worst at 43% and Fenlon 13th worst at 43%)

Jamesie
29-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Thanks for this Jamesie, really interesting facts.

also puts into context Alex Miller’s achievement in managing us for so long, that’s an incredible number when compared to every manager who’s followed him

I won't take the credit for all of this - found it at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hibernian_F.C._managers

What's very interesting with Miller is that he left on 453, while Eddie Turnbull managed us for 454. While Miller left after a poor 1-3 Derby defeat at Easter Road, he'd had a decentish start to that term by his standards - a 2-0 win at Pittodrie the week before and a win at Starks Park the week before that. Someone on the PM board is playing golf with Miller next week and I've suggested that he ask him if he considers his departure point to be by pure coincidence or somehow by design!

Jamesie
29-08-2018, 11:09 AM
What was Pat Fenlon's stats like? Thought he had been at Hibs longer than Neil Lennon.

And Yogi's would be an interesting read - terrific for the first part of his tenure, then shocking for the latter part.

Fenlon is 35.83% from 87 matches. I think the fact he was in charge over the course of three seasons - November 2011 - November 2013 - might make it seem longer. Yogi is 35.19% from 54 matches.

Jamesie
29-08-2018, 11:11 AM
The one thing I had noted under Lenny was that we rarely lose...so I compared the figures. Head an shoulders above everyone!

Loss % is 16.8%

Next best (taking Dan McMichael as one manager) is Jock Stein on 22%, then Stubbsy on 23%.

Shows you why the last few years have been so enjoyable, not feeling c**p every Saturday evening!

(For comparison; Calderwood, 4th worst at 53%, Butcher 5th worst at 52% Hughes 12th worst at 43% and Fenlon 13th worst at 43%)

Thanks for taking the time to do that exercise - I'm not surprised at all. Suspect it's probably the best in Scotland outside Celtic over the period he has been in charge.

bingo70
01-09-2018, 05:58 PM
Bump.